Sup Forums Buddhism thread

Daily reminder that Buddhism is the most red-pilled religion

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bsyplaii9p4
web.ics.purdue.edu/~buddhism/docs/Bhante_Walpola_Rahula-What_the_Buddha_Taught.pdf
meditationoasis.com/
how-to-meditate.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=tbee82i6eYE
goodreads.com/book/show/209576.In_the_Buddha_s_Words
pacificbuddha.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/In-the-Buddhas-Words.pdf
golibgen.io/view.php?id=265277
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naraka_(Buddhism)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_in_Buddhism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saṃsāra_(Buddhism)
amazon.com/Heart-World-Journey-Tibets-Paradise/dp/0143036025
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So "red pilled" at this point is just codeword for "stuff I like". Cool.
Hey guys did you know that lentil stew is the most red pilled thing ever?

How can I get started ? Is there recommended reading on the religion and on meditation ?

That would be awesome things to know. I'm not religious at all but Buddhism seems the only one that doesn't tend to make people ultra delusional retard faggots

Quality thread

pay no attention to the blue pills

desu the red-pilled-meme is the most retarded shit on earth.

Buddhism is somewhat contradictory I find. There are many schools of Buddhism, and the casual Buddhist follows different teachings than what traditional monks do. It you're referring to the most quintessential version of it, attaining self actualization through celibacy, discipline, mental reinforcement and rigorous mediation, then I can somewhat agree with you OP, but as far as I'm concerned, most Buddhists kind of do as they please but preach the teachings hypocritically.

If you consider "enlightenment" the essence of buddhism, this is a good introdcution to the topic

youtube.com/watch?v=Bsyplaii9p4

I've always held that red pill is a cancerous term that only breeds unwarranted feelings of superiority. People acquire a vast array of knowledge and wisdom throughout their life, and they keep on going like normal. Why is that some special bits of knowledge are more important than others and warrant calling yourself "enlightened"? The best attitude to take is to keep improving yourself, but as soon as you think of yourself as red pilled you won't.

>dude drugs lol
this fag again

>The best attitude to take is to keep improving yourself
amen

This is the best intro book to Buddhisma and it can be read in a day or two, it's available as a free PDF online

web.ics.purdue.edu/~buddhism/docs/Bhante_Walpola_Rahula-What_the_Buddha_Taught.pdf

meditation:

meditationoasis.com/
how-to-meditate.org/

>bald american whitie talks about le buddhism
Yeah, that, or just read the lotus sutra.

Sometimes he kinda gets off track it, but overall he's alright

*to Buddhism

As I said, it's an introduction to Enlightenment, which I consider the essence of Buddhism.
He is not even talking about buddhism, which you can already guess by the title.
Anyway what you said makes no sense

Maybe but he's verbose as hell. I just can't sit there for 90 minutes listening to him praising himself, I'd rather read the tl;dr version.

And what's your essence? Being a retarded faggot?

agree

lol wut

Bhuddhism is nihilistic though.
The only goal is to stop caring about things.

lentil stew is pretty red-pilled. It's a vegan alternative to meat stews

Veganism, and the sanctity of life, that is the red pill

>Bhuddhism is nihilistic though.
>The only goal is to stop caring about things.

Both of those are completely wrong my dude. I'd call that a wikipedia-tier understanding but even that might be too generous.

>not eating lentil stew with sausages
Faggot.

this guy has some good videos on the subject: youtube.com/watch?v=tbee82i6eYE

Don't learn about it by watching videos or speeches, that is really important because most of them are done by people who don't really understand what they are talking about and get a bunch of stuff wrong. Read a book by an expert on it, make sure it is well received a has good reviews from other Buddhist publications and other academics. I already linked a free one to you earlier and there are others you could find too in German if you wanted.

DON'T watch videos on it though.

Literally every person I've talked to before has said buddhism is about understanding that all things are temporary and to be enlightened you have to let go of all earthly connections.

I would also add read the path of purification as it is one of the earliest meditation manual and traditionally accepted in all sects.

Good starter book: Buddhism Plain and Simple: The Practice of Being Aware, Right Now, Every Day (Steve Hagen).

One of my favorite books on the subject.

I can vouch for this book as well

That is one of the principles but that doesn't imply either of the things you said.

Indeed. Most unhappiness is from being hung up on yourself and the things you cling to.

This threat is horrible.

1st of all Buddhist is a person who take refuge in three jewels.

2nd thing Buddhist takes all the teachings of Buddha as a whole things, not just parts he like.

3rd thing. Buddhism demands much more intellectual effort then any other religion. I.e: one need to understand what Karma is, sansara is etc.

As a very first book on Buddhism i recomend this one:

goodreads.com/book/show/209576.In_the_Buddha_s_Words

ebook-pdf:

pacificbuddha.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/In-the-Buddhas-Words.pdf

Recently found this channel as well. He has a much more humours approach.
Really like it

Taoism is the most red pilled religion

>lentil stew with sausages

Oh man, fucking this.

If that's the case isn't that kind of nihilistic though?

Fuck off, buddhism isn't a religion

You're the furthest thing from a buddhist preaching dogma like this.

pdf: golibgen.io/view.php?id=265277

>Buddhism is somewhat contradictory I find

In Lotus sutra Buddha states that his teaching is not contradictory and explains it.

There are many sutras in buddhism in which Buddha explains what the annutara-samyak-samboddhi is. It is not a new age thing kind of experience

Buddhism is neither nihilistic nor eternalistic. It's a core concept in Buddhism to stay away from extremes.

More common misconceptions:

>Vajrayana exists out of Mahayana
>Hinayana and Mahayana are contradictory
>One only need to meditate and do not need to explore the teaching
>Meditation and breathing techniques are totaly safe.

nihlism: the rejection of all religious and moral principles

buddhism: a set of religious and moral principles

Buddhism is a religious thing because one needs to believe in things like reincarnation, karma, hells, and Buddha's wisdom and achievement.

If one does not believe in superiority of Buddha's wisdom how one can be a Buddhist?

I was referring to the belief that life is pointless.

>Literally every person I've talked to before has said buddhism is about understanding that all things are temporary and to be enlightened you have to let go of all earthly connections.

Well first off, we live in the US where there is no learning at all about eastern philosophy in general education unless you seek it out, so many people either know little about it or have many misconceptions about it. I don't know how many of the people you talked too actually understood it well or not.

With regards to what those people said it's not exactly wrong but that is only one facet of understanding Buddhism and there is a bunch of other stuff that concept is related too; if you just hear that without understanding the other parts you will take it out of context and form a misconception about Buddhism such as that it's Nihilistic or that it's all about no longer caring about things.

Buddhism is not nihilistic, it is rather realistic and attempts to take an objective view of existence. It states that everything is transient which I think is impossible to deny. No matter what happens any happiness you experience is temporary and you will one day die. This can't be denied. There is no source of permanent satisfaction that allows one to be permanently satisfied for the rest of his life.

The goal is not "to stop caring about things". The goal is to realize and no longer be affected by the illusion of self and all that it entails. You don't "stop caring", instead you recognize that all desire, fear, craving, anger etc arises from the illusion of self and that they are not necessary and only causes suffering. The goal is to transcend those things and to no longer be affected by them which in turn causes them to arise less. When this happens you feel blissful all the time. You are not trying to "stop caring', you are waking up to the reality of something and no longer being swayed by an illusion which allows you to experience bliss, calm and equanimity at all times.

>life is pointless

Wordly life is a completely pointless
But life full of buddhist practice is full of meaning.

>not a new age thing kind of experience
You should what the video, it's not like that at all. He condemns this new age crap at many times in this vid

for a buddhist life is far from pointless, it's a path of learning and self--improvement

At least its more accurate than the cracker cult called catholicism

watch*

>isn't that kind of nihilistic

There is something to that but don't forget about the middle way. Buddhists should avoid going full on nihilist as there is a tendency to get hung up on that as well. You are alive and experiencing things. This is impermanent but there is no reason to reject everything.

oh my bad then.

The Buddha himself said it's better not to believe, students should see for themselves though meditation practice.

words have meaning. Existence can not have meaning, with or without god.

It just doesn't make any sense and I've never understood that sentiment, desu.

based jew

Very well said.

> one needs to believe in things like reincarnation, karma, hells
These are religious bells and whistles, none are fundamental to buddhism

>Buddha's wisdom and achievement
Buddha encourages you to gain your own wisdom to see the things he says for yourself

>These are religious bells and whistles, none are fundamental to buddhism

Buddha taught Buddha's teaching. Now please give me source when Buddha said that reincarnation, karma, hells are bells and whistles.

where* Buddha mentioned that reincarnation, karma, hells ( most fundamental part of the teaching) are bells and whistles.

This is a good book indeed. It's like 500 pages though so if any anons are a newcomer to it than it may be good to first read a smaller book like "What the Buddha Taught" so you know whether you want to read more or not.

It has some valuable lessons but it offers way less than Buddhism. Lao Tzu and the other main guy are definitely worth reading though.

The terminology used is not that important, in many aspects it is like a religion, but can also be considered a school of philosophy or a system of self-development

It is the sort of thing where the more you practice it generally the more it is beneficial, you can live a regular life and still try to follow Buddhist principles and be mindful etc and benefit greatly from it.

>needs to believe in things

No, one is supposed to evaluate and consider those things for themselves; you are not supposed to accept them simply because Buddha taught them. Doubt is one of the hindrances to enlightenment but that has more to do with second-guessing oneself and not as much about doubting Buddha's teachings, he was very clear in saying that people should consider it all for themselves.

Buddha taught rebirth which is different from the Hindu idea of reincarnation. And most of the times he talked about hell in the Pali Canon he seemed to be using it as a metaphor to describe how existence and certain births could be hellish if one did not work on being prepared for death etc. While he did talk about his wisdom and achievements he made it clear that anyone could become a Buddha and that being one was the only thing that distinguished him and that he wasn't special in any other way.

Thanks friendo, and checked

Are you retarded? The Buddha himself taught none of these things, that's why I said they aren't fundamental. Maybe you're thinking of hinduism.

>No, one is supposed to evaluate and consider those things for themselves; you are not supposed to accept them simply because Buddha taught them
In the beginning you need to have faith in the Buddha or else you can't proceed but after you practice meditation you will see for yourself.

>he seemed to be using it as a metaphor

proofs?

Buddha very rarely used metaphors as far as i know.

any hardcore buddhist been to Altai Mountains?

it's rumored to be the gateway to Shambhala

>Are you retarded?

It seems like you are retarded. , because at very list you could have checked wiki:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_in_Buddhism

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saṃsāra_(Buddhism)

Buddha clearly HIMSELF taught this things.

stop avoiding your pagan heritage

I have read the Dharma like 3 times, and each time I think "Buddha was kind of a stuck up asshole." But whatever, I like the teachings.

The dude in the video is a hypocrite. Talking about ego death, yet doing the video.

And the worst part ?

>IN ORDER FOR ENLIGHTENMENT YOU NEED TO >>>>AT LEAST

Thank you very much bro

>nihlism in every thread
stop

none of you know what it means

I guess the word parable would be better, he talked about them as stories to illustrate principles of his teachings.

For example in the Devadūta Sutta he talked about people getting sent to hell and getting tormented there and sometimes people cite that as him teaching about a literal hell but if you read the passage he starts off with making a metaphor and it seems the entire passage is meant to be one metaphor. The point of it is to illustrate how if someone is unprepared for death and is ignorant than they will experience suffering when they die and are reborn. Buddha ends the passage with a short paragraph that basically describes the lesson or meaning of the story, which reinforces the idea that it is a metaphor.

Buddha did teach that there were different states of existence where beings experienced more or less suffering, with people being born into various states as a result of their actions/karma. You can interpret this literally or metaphorically as describing alternative universe etc. The state of existence where there is more suffering seems to be what he meant by "hell" or hellish states and that is sometimes confused as Buddha teaching that there is a physical location for hell or that it is that unique evil place that bad people go to.

I actually watched the video but I have a response on that, too.

Yeah I will sure avoid videos of some self-righteous assholes claiming to have a solution to enlightenment or anything.

Well the most important thing, i might say, is that: Buddha teaches that karmic retributions are not the things to ignore and to take not seriously. If one does not believe in karma, power of good and bad deeds, one turns to nihilism and no one knows where will the journey of such individual end

read herman hesse's Siddhartha.

how i got into it was also reading into chakras/meditation and the art behind mandalas

that and depression. and how suffering is caused by attachment the way you are sometimes attached to your own thoughts

idk it's breddy interesting desu

Definetely so. But in the end one ends up in faith in competence of Buddha to be the guide on the path to enlightment. Faith is still a thing in buddhism. Though ofc not blind faith.

Of course, faith is still a good thing. It helps to have a sense that your teacher knows what they're talking about.

Early Hinduism is a more accurate representation of Indo-Aryan religion than European paganism.

I would also add to this post that I made by mentioning that Buddha taught there were so many beings in the universe that it would be impossible to count them all and that you could be reborn into any of the various planes of existence. One can interpret that as being that with so many living beings throughout the universe there is an infinite spectrum of lives one can live as beings with varying degrees of suffering or blissful lives and that there are enough beings to make it so that one can always be reborn into a life that fits one's karma perfectly, even if it is on the other side of the universe.

Ancient Tibetan Buddhist texts described the entrance to Shambhala being at a giant waterfall hidden in the Tsang-po gorge in Tibet, a bunch of 19th century European explorers tried to find it and never did but an American who had worked on translating texts with the Dalai Lama ended up trekking into the gorge sometime in the 90's or 2000's and found the waterfall which happened to be 108 feet tall. He wrote a book about his experience which I read and thought was pretty good, the Dalai wrote the foreward. He spotted what appeared to be an entrance into a cave in the cliff face next to the waterfall some 50 or 60 feet off the ground but you would have needed to rappel down to enter into it. He never ended up entering it and the message of the book was that ultimately the tales of special and magical realms are just tales about locations that allow one to reach a deeper understanding of reality. It's worth a read if you are into Backpacking and reading about wilderness expeditions in addition to Buddhism.

amazon.com/Heart-World-Journey-Tibets-Paradise/dp/0143036025

Taoism isn't a religion. It has religious branches, but it's fundamentally a philosophy and a system designed to understand the natural world and help cultivate the self.

The same could be said for much of Buddhism, but it has far stronger religious elements. It can be practiced in a secular manner though, and compliments Taoism quite well.

if your not meditating, your failing at being a Buddhist. It's the most and at times only requirement. Zen was created around the meditation process, not the other way around. It's teachings and history extracted from the deep realizations people had. In that way the practice doesn't really exists at all.

Yup. I heard that hells for example are created the moment beings create specific negative karma. So worlds as places of habitation are secondary, its beings deeds thats what important. Tbqh i don't dig deep into such things and i'm not sure i understand it right. Anyways, good karma = good results. Bad karma = bad results. Cheers

It's also about fostering death energies and the liveliness to do whatever you want, bold and free from judgment. If you need to kill some Muslims, that's what you do if you know it's the only correct course of action.

No, not really. What the Burmese are doing to the Rohingya are in complete violation of Buddhist precepts. They are doing it because of their ethnic and religious nationalism and not because Buddhism teaches that it is okay to do so.

Buddhism teaches the importance of speaking the truth and doing what is right and it is fair to say that this could include speaking out against large migration into a country of impoverished muslims who will create violence and terrorism. The Dalai Lama said that the migrants in Germany should go back because there are too many and that Germany can not become an Arab country because it is Germany; he has also spoke out against the Chinese making Tibetans a minority in Tibet by importing mass amounts of Han Chinese.

However, Buddhism explicitly makes it clear that violence is never permissible and does not in anyway condone the attacks that are happening right now in Burma though.