Don't tell me Trump is falling for the thorium meme!

No, Donald, no, do not fall for the thorium failure, nuclear is uranium and plutonium, not thorium, oh my God, Trump, what did they teach you at the Wharton School of Business back in 1968 during the height of the Nam war and hippie movement!???!!

forbes.com/sites/rodadams/2016/12/24/trump-is-right-u-s-should-greatly-strengthen-nuclear-energy-capability/#2bdd10115e2a

Other urls found in this thread:

welt.de/wirtschaft/article159127650/Deutschland-koppelt-Oesterreich-vom-Billigstrom-ab.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax
europhysicsnews.org/articles/epn/pdf/2007/02/epn07204.pdf
goingelectric.de/forum/allgemeine-themen/stromkosten-in-deutschland-im-vergleich-zu-oesterreich-t14638.html
supforums.com/thread/108398976/politics/don-t-tell-me-trump-is-falling-for-the-thorium.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Thorium molten salts reactor in small modular form factor is where it is at, yo.

Careful, burguers, the muslim is trying to sabotage your future.

>Thorium molten salts reactor in small modular form factor is where it is at, yo.

No, please, note the autism. If you watch one of the thorium meme "documentaries" they are cut together so autistic, you can even see why nobody takes thorium seriously... ever.

You understand it's clear you're a LARPing faggot who knows nothing, right?

>Brazil
WTF, Brazil? What happened to you? You used to be hopeful and potentially even great. Now you are ruled by baboons and are a corrupt, African tier shithole... just like Germany.

LFTR is top-tier nuclear energy.

I'm mad right now, why do you win so much murica ?

City intellectuals voted for Hillary

Only rural and suburban retards voted for Trump

>Only rural and suburban retards voted for Trump

who is spamming this exact phrase on Sup Forums all day

sounds like paid posters to me

keynesianism came to it's inevitable end. Hue was never great.
Now stop badmouthing the only realistic answer to fossil fuels.

The future is thorium powered lasers triggering hydrogen fusion.

Fuck Drumphy and FUCK white people

That's President Trump to you, foreigner.

OP is a moron

t. MSc Radiochemist

>Now stop badmouthing the only realistic answer to fossil fuels.
I am not badmouthing fusion power, darkie.
>not even one white girl on the team, not one

checked
>brazil great
>thorium bad
Kill yourself shill.

Woman president until half of 2016, but we have thrown her out, and 2018 we will elect Bolsonaro to make Brazil great (again?)

>when Muhammad is so mad about his only engergy source being burning carcasses of infidels and literal camel shit

So...Thorium wont work, just like Donald Trump wont get elected as the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA? :D

Into the smelter with you Fritz. We are going to make you great again.

DON'T YOU DEAR! One more word nigger, one more word about my President elect and I'll sock your jaw out Germany.

The muslim is calling the keetle a nigger.
Thorium has been done and was killed by government bureaucracy, fusion is far from realistic.

They taught him that people with money don't have to fight in wars.
Oh, and "buy low, sell high" (aka: the art of the dealer).

>So...Thorium wont work

Not "wont", doesn't. We tried it for 70 years, it still does not work economically.

Hence my question, what did Trump learn in 1968 at the Wharton School of BUSINESS?

>arguments
you have none

>another politician to be the subject of personality cult
This time it's gonna work!
Fucking bootlicker monkeys making me look more flea ridden than i already am.

Even if not Muhammad
>good goy paying almost 30 (Euro)ct/kWh for electricity because god chancellor Merkel botched the Energiewende tries to lecture the free world on how to run their affairs

it worked in the 70s for prof Teller
no plutonium byproduct though
hence we stayed with uranium
to be able to produce weapons

>Thorium has been done and was killed by government bureaucracy

You do understand that except in North Korea and Iran, ALL nuclear power stations are privately owned worldwide? So what you are saying is that the bad free market is killing thorium because... you know, PRIVATE CORPORATION BUREAUCRACY.

>The muslim is calling the keetle a nigger.
Here is the picture of our football team. Compare that to yours.

>t. MSc Radiochemist
Anyone can write that. Besides that, don't you have something better to do than shitposting on a malaysian website about termite breeding?

thorium will never work from a logistics standpoint. the material is simply too effective as a weapon with no effort - it would have to be shipped to reactors by convoy and guarded by military bases. compare to uranium, which can be shipped in raw cake form and requires on-site processing in order to reach a reactive state. a truck driver could go off the grid with 10 tons of raw uranium and there are only a few hundred sites in the world that can make it into a bomb, all of which are government controlled reactors or weapons sites. a driver goes off the grid with even a kilo of thorium and he can, in his garage, make enough nukes to send a nation to its knees.

>>good goy paying almost 30 (Euro)ct/kWh for electricity because god chancellor Merkel botched the Energiewende tries to lecture the free world on how to run their affairs

Austrian, still believing it is 2011. We are a net exporter of electricity and our prices dropped by 70%. Meanwhile, Austria is a NET IMPORTER of electricity, mostly from Germany.

Literally baiting, I'm finishing my master's degree this year and I intend to get out of this shithole well before the next presidential change

Lula is obviously getting elected

>it worked in the 70s for prof Teller
No, it did not. Economically it did not. Technically, sure it does, but at costs way above uranium nuclear power plants (which are themselves much higher costs than other power generation sources).

Thorium reactors use "nuclear waste" as a source, right? If yes, I would gladly pay 2ct/kwh more, if we can get rid of that waste.

This is bullshit, the only real nuclear work seriously looking into the feasibility of thorium and using a liquid as reactor fuel started in the 60s in the US at Oak Ridge and the reactor worked fine and even produced net power. If we had put more research into it then instead of discontinuing in 1973 because we couldn't make nukes from the byproducts then thorium would be likely be competitive, if not superior, to conventional current nuclear reactor designs based on Uranium.

When I left Germany in early 2016 prices were 25ct/kWh + 90€/year, here in Austria I pay 7.5ct/kWh + 20/year.
You are full of shit, OP.

u WOYT CUNT
Fucken THROIUM CUNT
shitcunt
h
i
t
c
u
n
t

You sandnigger Taqiya practitioner. Showing pictures of the people you conquered. Now these women are all preggo with bombs and in burkas.
The fact that reactor are not owned by government has no bearing on the fact that the whole business is completely regulated by government. Stop trying to change dodge the discussion, you can't show any evidence against MSTR.

Don't look back, try to go to straya, it's most likely gonna weather the coming economic disaster well. That's where i would like to go if i wasn't such a sucker for guns and freedumbs.

>Thorium reactors use "nuclear waste" as a source, right?
No, they do not. You need uranium-233, uranium-235 or plutonium as a primer. u-235 and plutonium are highly problematic as they are the prime nuclear bomb fuels. Uranium-233 is not waste either, it is required to be bred in a breeder reactor at high costs.

Get lost STEM fag

>30 (Euro)ct/kWh for electricity
Are you kidding?

t.~4 (Euro)ct/kWh (3.5 ruble/kWh)

Because german cuckholds agreed on using politician farts as their source of energy and backed off from nuclear.
Can we just ban leafs and germans, because quality of those posts just doesnt cut it anymore for this board.

>LFTR thread

Oh my, it's been a while...

What Thorium meme? I've read into this and it appears to be a viable alternative to liquid cooled reactors.

Solid state
Not fluid mobile
No plutonium byproducts
Cheap and plentiful to mine
Byproducts of REE mining

t. geochemist

>This is bullshit, the only real nuclear work seriously looking into the feasibility of thorium and using a liquid as reactor fuel started in the 60s in the US at Oak Ridge
Absolute BS. Inform yourself before you post this crap. There have been nearly 20 MW-range thorium reactors out there. The Oak Ridge one was just one of them. There are thorium reactors which are still operational and used for research... just not in the US, which cares more about Kardashians than high tech.

Pls tell me why making energy from more common thus cheaper fuel didnt work economicaly.
Germoney pls.

If Trump invests in getting a new MSR prototype built and then scales it up like what was supposed to happen 50 years ago then the US will truly improve at a staggering rate as energy costs fall and full energy independence is established. Shocking how quickly people here have forgotten about this world changing technology. We are making steps towards further MSR developments in my own country and now the Chinese have put their MSR program on the backburner (focusing on solid fuel thorium and other experimental gen 3++/4 designs) this is an excellent opportunity for America.

So I assume you are just stupid.
---
„Es wird schlicht mehr Strom in Österreich gekauft, als über die bestehenden Leitungen transportiert werden kann“, sagt Rainer Baake, Staatssekretär im Bundeswirtschaftsministerium. Und im Ministerium lässt man auch durchblicken, dass man sich eine andere Regelung gewünscht hätte, als einfach die gemeinsame Stromgebotszone mit Österreich aufzukündigen. Aber in Wien habe man sich wenig aufgeschlossen für Alternativen im Stromstreit gezeigt.

Zwischen Deutschland und Österreich kann theoretisch unbeschränkt Strom gehandelt werden, obwohl wegen fehlender Netze etwa zehn Prozent des Stromhandelsvolumens eigentlich nicht abgewickelt werden kann. Dies ist historisch bedingt und eine Ausnahme im europäischen Stromhandel, der sich praktisch an allen Grenzen nach den Leitungskapazitäten richtet. Aufgrund der niedrigen Großhandelspreise – auch durch Förderung und Ausbau des Ökostroms – wird jedoch immer mehr Energie exportiert.

welt.de/wirtschaft/article159127650/Deutschland-koppelt-Oesterreich-vom-Billigstrom-ab.html

The Australian economy is dominated by its service sector, comprising 68% of GDP. The mining sector represents 7%[24] of GDP; including services to mining, the total value of the mining industry in 2009-10 was 8.4% of GDP.[25] Economic growth is largely dependent on the mining sector and agricultural sector (12% of GDP[26]) with the products to be exported mainly to the East Asian market.[27]

we're fucked cunt, don't come here

Idiots like OP will be the ones who will give the future to China.
China has hundreds of scientists on LFTR, they are making great strides every year.

The same men who worked on the Uranium reactors worked on LFTR, they saw it as a stepping stone, but lo and behold funding dried up once the Uranium reactors were good enough.

I will agree that it's not as magical as the LFTR advocates make it out to be but it is a sizable leap forward in regards to fuel availability and radioactive waste and proliferation reduction.

>Thorium is effective as a weapon

You are talking out your ass. Thorium is not used in weapons. The half life is too long

oh, would you look at that, the only one of those that is a BREEDER MOLTEN SALT REACTOR is the oak ridge one.
The rest are all traditional enriched uranium methods being applied to thorium.

But you have good economic freedom, how's the national debt? How is the deep has the keynes poison reached?

>Pls tell me why making energy from more common thus cheaper fuel didnt work economicaly.
>Germoney pls.
Ever read how a nuclear power plant works? You do understand there is something called "engineering" involved, right?

----
Disadvantages[edit]
There are several challenges to the application of thorium as a nuclear fuel, particularly for solid fuel reactors:
In contrast to uranium, naturally occurring thorium is effectively mononuclidic and contains no fissile isotopes; fissile material, generally 233
U
, 235
U
or plutonium, must be added to achieve criticality. This, along with the high sintering temperature necessary to make thorium-dioxide fuel, complicates fuel fabrication. Oak Ridge National Laboratory experimented with thorium tetrafluoride as fuel in a molten salt reactor from 1964–1969, which was expected to be easier to process and separate from contaminants that slow or stop the chain reaction.
In an open fuel cycle (i.e. utilizing 233
U
in situ), higher burnup is necessary to achieve a favorable neutron economy. Although thorium dioxide performed well at burnups of 170,000 MWd/t and 150,000 MWd/t at Fort St. Vrain Generating Station and AVR respectively,[4] challenges complicate achieving this in light water reactors (LWR), which compose the vast majority of existing power reactors.
In a once-through thorium fuel cycle the residual 233
U
is a long-lived radioactive isotope in the waste.
Another challenge associated with the thorium fuel cycle is the comparatively long interval over which 232
Th
breeds to 233
U

Yeah, and the Oak Ridge one is the only Molten Salt Reactor, like I was saying.

>oh, would you look at that, the only one of those that is a BREEDER MOLTEN SALT REACTOR is the oak ridge one.
For which there is a reason, a molten salt reactor cost 200 million in clean up costs while it only produced a few MW peak capacity for a few years. If you could do this shit economically, you would. Meanwhile, thorium breader reactors work on a commercial scale... they are just STILL less economically than uranium reactors.

Ugly as germany

The half-life of 233
Pa
is about 27 days, which is an order of magnitude longer than the half-life of 239
Np
. As a result, substantial 233
Pa
develops in thorium-based fuels. 233
Pa
is a significant neutron absorber and, although it eventually breeds into fissile 235
U
, this requires two more neutron absorptions, which degrades neutron economy and increases the likelihood of transuranic production.
Alternatively, if solid thorium is used in a closed fuel cycle in which 233
U
is recycled, remote handling is necessary for fuel fabrication because of the high radiation levels resulting from the decay products of 232
U
. This is also true of recycled thorium because of the presence of 228
Th
, which is part of the 232
U
decay sequence. Further, unlike proven uranium fuel recycling technology (e.g. PUREX), recycling technology for thorium (e.g. THOREX) is only under development.
Although the presence of 232
U
complicates matters, there are public documents showing that 233
U
has been used once in a nuclear weapon test. The United States tested a composite 233
U
-plutonium bomb core in the MET (Military Effects Test) blast during Operation Teapot in 1955, though with much lower yield than expected.[20]
Though thorium-based fuels produce far less long-lived transuranics than uranium-based fuels,[15] some long-lived actinide products constitute a long-term radiological impact, especially 231
Pa
.[16]
Advocates for liquid core and molten salt reactors such as LFTRs claim that these technologies negate thorium's disadvantages present in solid fueled reactors. As only two liquid-core fluoride salt reactors have been built (the ORNL ARE and MSRE) and neither have used thorium, it is hard to validate the exact benefits.[4]

>how's the national debt? How is the deep has the keynes poison reached?
This only just happened with GFC.
Before the left wing would rack up debt on spending then the right wing balance the budget and pay of the debt, this has happened reliably for 50+ years.

But ever since Tony Abbott, the right wing are also neo-liberal big spenders, we're probably fucked but it's early enough for us to reverse course.

I need to know where you are getting this information. From what I have been reading U233 is formed from fast neutrons impacting from the decay of Th230 which is a primary setup in the reactor.

I'm genuinely curious

why is thorium a meme exactly?

Source on the article? I want to read this later.

>But you have good economic freedom
anything not manufactured here is overpriced to the point that our politicians have a name for it, the Australia Tax. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_Tax

most people just borrow out the ass here, we're in the middle of a bubble ourselves thanks to our (((chinese benefactors))) and don't want to face the fact that shit's fucked.

>how's the national debt?
36.8% debt to GDP at the moment, the actual problem though is that we're selling our country off to China to finance everything. the moment china pulls out (which they will), we're done. to give you an example our government tried to sell the power grid of Sydney to the chinese, with the plan to lease it back for 99 years. they tried to explain it away with "But Roads!" until it was shot down because of national security concerns.

we're fucked when china pulls out, we'll turn into greece.

>How is the deep has the keynes poison reached?
about as bad as america.

The whole point of funding a lot of scientific research is that in its infancy it isn't competitive on the market with current competitors or alternatives but has the potential to be more efficient or be even more competitive if technologies can be developed which unlock its potential. Computers didn't just magically jump onto the US market, they were bolstered by massive amounts of funding going to different researchers who independently developed technologies and worked on engineering them together into functional entities.

Fusion doesn't generate net energy now but that doesn't mean we should just quit looking into and funding it.

>implying I do not know how much I play for electricity here and how much I paid in Germany
I assume you are baiting hard.

>I need to know where you are getting this information. From what I have been reading U233 is formed from fast neutrons impacting from the decay of Th230 which is a primary setup in the reactor.

The internet is your friend. You need a primer for the thorium fuel cycle, e.g. 1 metric ton of u233... and then later on you need to process your uranium-thorium mixture and separate various parts, including u233, again.

europhysicsnews.org/articles/epn/pdf/2007/02/epn07204.pdf

How do you know the costs, output numbers and economic success of a technology that hasn't been fully developed?
I'll look into the copy pasta you posted of the atomic decay chain of thorium breeding, after i understand it fully this thread will be dead so i'll just have to wager that you're fucking wrong.

Well, fuck. I guess we'll all starve in the crash. I'll stay here and feed on wildlife, or starve with my family, then.

Can you fuck off shill? You sound so obviously not from here and are trying to promote an agenda.

There is nothing wrong with Thorium and it should definitely be looked into.

I have articles.

I'm not going to act like this autistic naysaying German.

Never trust a german national with have an intelligent opinion on any form of nuclear power.

You seem to be an idiot. Germany has much higher taxes on electricity than Austria. BUT the raw electricity generation costs are higher in Austria with the exception of Verbund electricity from 100 year old water power generation plants.

And again, a large part of Austrian electricity is imported from Germany (nearly 10%).

goingelectric.de/forum/allgemeine-themen/stromkosten-in-deutschland-im-vergleich-zu-oesterreich-t14638.html

That is the truth, and german greenpeace faggot is omitting the fact that they also subside their "energiewende" with taxes. Our green traitors managed to push the same shit through here, our subsided price for wind electricity is 85c/kWh, and the "goverment" pays it (read: taxpayers). We are losing almost €1 billion per year, and getting no electricity when we need it. Cold day imports are over 4GW now, need that nuke built now Ivan! And two or three more, please.

You must be the retard who shits in every AfD thread because he doesn't have other hobbies.
I would argue most Germans do not make their living with electricity production or energy trade, therefore the consumer prices are the only thing that counts.
Go ask your mummy about how much she pays for your basement PC.

apparently liquid fluoride/mercury is used in the ARV fluxliner central drive shaft to create an electro-magnetic affect

>I don't like the presentation style of the documentaries
Is this your entire argument?

Will Trump inadvertently save Toshiba?

Toshiba is bleeding money because of several of nuclear power reactor projects run by Westinghouse (owned by Toshiba) subsidiaries are hemorrhaging money, and they are on hook for it as the project manager.

Thorium is by far the best and safest form of nuclear energy.
Also the most cost effective.
Thorium would literally bring about a new era if it got funding.

how the fuck is a poorly edited video full of facts any sort of argument?

That site decodes your anonymity or what? The same thread as this, but the posters are with their names - supforums.com/thread/108398976/politics/don-t-tell-me-trump-is-falling-for-the-thorium.html

Oh thank Christ, it's about time we had a president that wanted to expand nuclear. After Obongo's half assed effort that managed to get a grand total of 3 reactors built, I was starting to fear that nuclear would remain a meme forever. Looks like Trump will set things on the right track.

>oy veyy goy you are not seriously considering a safe form of reactor power that is basically free safe energy.
>this would be highly problematic

Get fucked.

Go Thorium.

This, we can't let China be first on this

So I posted actual sources that indicate it's a promising alternative energy source. Unlike Hanz Sperghaus. I've done as much reading as I can on this subject and it looks legit.

How's it going Benjamin Cruz?

Why is he so passionately defending Nuclear and shitting over Thorium as if something really important depends on Thorium not being used? Thorium is rarely brought up here, why even make a thread about it them accuse Thorium of being a "meme".

Does OP have something do hide? Is he financially invested in Uranium's continued use? Why is OP so autistic about his Thorium hatred? I think OP is a shill.

Why would he be shilling this hard against it? I wonder who is behind this

He's most definitely a shill. Because he won't comment on my legit sources.

he knows BWR/PWR reactors are an aging technology and will eventually collapse so he's shilling against the logical progression of nuclear technology (thorium molten salt or plutonium fast sodium) with the goal of profiting from either the Coal Industry or those renewable energy Jews.

>Don't tell me Ford is falling for the automobile meme!

OP's secretly a Saudi oil sheikh working against the thing which will undermine the only source of his country's geopolitical influence.

This sounds awesome and plausible. Trump needs to make this real.

Pro tip: There isn't a thorium reactor design that's anywhere near submission for safety certification.

Even if everything happens as fast as possible, the first commercial thorium reactor won't even break ground until Trump's second term is over (if he does get a second term).