What is the best philosophy and why is it Stoicism ?

What is the best philosophy and why is it Stoicism ?

Other urls found in this thread:

dailystoic.com/epictetus/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pragmatism

stoicism is not a philosophy. It is a lifestyle.

>when philosophy becomes a bunch of memes

Our culture is dead, leaf

Stoicism has been used by leftists on Reddit to advocate for open borders because it was used as a way of coping with the multicultural world of the empire. They always forget that "multicultural" was "different kinds of whites."

The best is Nietzsche's will to power and pro-life stance.
>But he who is hated by the people, as the wolf by the dogs—is the free spirit, the enemy of fetters, the non-adorer, the dweller in the woods.

Existentialism

Philosophy is about the truth, it is not a guide to lifestyle for plebs like you.

It shouldn't be, you still have so much history around, so many monuments... It's maddening

Top tier:

Stoicism
Platonism
Aristotelianism
Spinozism
Kierkegaardian Existentialism

Shit tier:

Nihilism
Existentialism
Kantianism

>french poster

Stoicism is an adjunct school of thought, not a complete philosophical grounding.

In terms of individual behaviour, yes, it is the best way to conduct yourself. Complaining about hardship only wears on everyone around you, making your pain theirs.

You should only share personal troubles in the pursuit of ending them; going to the doctor for treatment would be an example.

And the truth is that people are animals and everything in life is a reflection of power.

Quit drinking so much, Torben

Is stoicism the art of resignation?

>Stoicism
>not Budda
kill yourself

Was GG Allin the most redpilled human on earth ?

Yes. Period.

Donalism

I'm not a fan of actual existentialism, I much prefer its precursors such as Kierkegaard, Nietzsche or Dostoïevski and maybe Heidegger. I don't really like Camus or Sartre.

Not really, imo it's more about devotion to the Truth and Good, and not letting pain and sadness sidetrack you from it.

this

DEGAGE SALE MERDE COMMUNISTE
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Cartesianism

Has anyone actually read The Art of the Deal?

How was it?

sounds kinda hot, Siddhartha,
I want to keep that curse.

live your delusion faggot and be happy. Don't shit on reality because you can't handle it which is nihilism

>any picture with text on it is a meme
>wops taking credit for ancient greek philosophy
why am I not surprised

Stoicism a shit.
>You're still cucked by le morals
>le God meme

Same thing, especially in terms of their approach to suffering and personal conduct.

You've never read the Stoics.

Fuck off mohammed, this thread is not suitable for moon demon worshippers.

It's crap. It's good for middle aged uneducated American males but that's about it.

If you really want to read about how to influence people read Dale Carnegie's and Robert Greene as a starter. Then move on to economists works.

Damnit

Stoircism no difference from the religious books.

People want to people what they find right in their opinion. Reality nobody gives a fuck.

Stoicism is a self-help meme for beta males

People want to believe what they think is right in their opinion.

Literally a meme philosophy for rich patricians. Imagine a slave being a stoic. Right, it's impossible.

Epictetus was a slave.

dailystoic.com/epictetus/

Well that's what I thought too but I read a paper about injustice where the author said stoics try to understand the injustice befalling on them only so they can live with it. I would say that this is true about things they can do nothing about like death, but I'm not sure what they would do about injustices they could correct. I'm wondering if the author didn't confuse stoics with confucianists

Anyway I know nothing about these sorts of things

sheeeeit.

Yeah might as well fuck kids and goats, it's all relative mannnnn

Epictetus, one of the foremost Stoic thinkers, was literally a slave.

What next, Sven? Are you going to tell us to "decolonise" philosophy?

what future wife?

Man, are you baiting ?

Epitectus was one of the most influent stoic and was a slave for a long time. His views influenced Aurelius

I suspect you are ignorant in the matter

Fucking kids and goats goes against our evolutionary incorporated sense of morality

>Epaphroditus, his owner, gave him the permission to pursue liberal studies and it is how Epictetus discovered philosophy
He sure had a sweet master.

Stoic focus a lot on knowing the source of pain and sadness, and moving forward

Say, your crush starts dating another dude, you would feel hurt, maybe jealous, possibly angry.

Stoicism is seeing that you are subjecting yourself to these bad sentiments, that dwelling on them is not productive and only amplify the pain, and movign forward. It's also not defeatism, just learnign not to poison yourself with things outside your control.

You gotta remember, Marcus Aurelius was fuckign roman emperor in the most peacefull and bountifull century of roman rule, and the last of the greath emperors. But he lost like 10 childrens early in their life. Even as an Emperor, he was still human, and had ordeals and sadness.

spoop

DUDE JUST STAND UP FOR YOUR BELIEFS AND YOU'LL BE FINE LMAO
Literally nothing special or unique is about this compared to prior schools of belief unless you compare it to the appeasement of authority with some Sophistic schools or with Epicurism. It's flawed with what prominent proponents of it teach regarding anecdotes of particular situations they used it in for not being appropriately defined or fully-inquired--similar to how Plato is flawed for focusing on how to inquire about the nature of the 'forms' is to look into some higher abstract nature of it without defining it appropriately by focusing your studies to it particularly, compared to Aristotle who teaches that you should learn a broad number of subjects to understand the context of things, then study the particulars of subjects to inquire about if you really want to get a full (or near-full) understanding of them. Such so, Stoicism is flawed for being too ambiguous regarding what you should stand up to and what pleasures you should abstain and become independent from. When it comes to something like how to handle a tyrant who orders you to do stuff, it isn't as simple as 'just standing up to what you believe and then evaluate the options of achieving such in said situations', but inquiring more into the particulars to see if you appease them, is it possible to rebound by either finding new meaning to life under their orders or possibly managing to usurp them later? Stoics fall short by placing too much trust on a benevolent god who gives the average person rationality that can be mastered if they're disciplined enough. The correct approach to lifestyle matters is to take the elements of Stoicism regarding evaluating yourself and your capabilities to the situations you're in, but to also be even more pragmatic and cautious of your self-assessment and take a more Aristotelian approach of trying to study universals-down-to-particulars to understand the context of things and emphasize experiences.

Oh look, a bust with some intellectual quote next to it so that you can appeal to authority and feel intelligent even if you haven't read the piece that the quote was taken from.

I don't think its classified as a philosophy, but Parmenides told us to differentiate between truth and semblance, and that thoughts always combine matter and being of this world.

Looking at the Internet today, and how it fools us, people should stop preaching whole lifestyles and concentrade on the basics.

You seem upset and impotent. Are you a Nihilist ?

v good

>Aristotelianism

Virtue ethics is one of the greatest memes in philosophical history.

Virtue ethics is superior to all other normative ethics theories.

Come at me.

No. Nihilism is stupid. It doesn't even matter if I agree or disagree with the philosophy. I just generally dislike pseudo-intellectuals adopting a poster as their beliefs, as if it makes them wise.

You really are retarded aren't you. Slavery in Rome didn't mean picking cotton and getting shit on, it was just forced servitude. It wasn't always back breaking terrible work and Roman history has plenty of slaves that made impact in our collective cultures as westerners. (Maybe not in your case considering the flag) Stop thinking that slavery was always like American and South American slavery. Hell even in the US there were well educated and influential slaves, or former slaves to be more accurate but the point still stands.

dammit

Fuck you

>Plutocracy
>top tier

Also plato is the father of communism.

pls no

Biblical literalism

I;m doing this for you, future wife!

>communism

No

There is still obvious hierarchy
There is still obvious private property; it is only limited in the case of the Guardian classes, as described in his Republic, and there is merit in restricting the wealth and excesses of the ruling class.

I disagree vehemently with the abolition of the private family, but I do like quite a few other elements of his philosophy, and he just as frequently gets called the father of fascism as he does the father of communism.

Well done

>mfw my wife is already a Buddhist

He railed hard against private property of all forms. He saw it as the source of all corruption, even for the commoners. Which is why i think it would be closer to communism than fascism. But communism and fascism both share the same aspects of plutos ideas, he is the "father" of both and it's fucking trash. Plutocracy is fucked anyways because selective and removes agency from individuals and just creates slaves of the state.

Utilitarianism.

stoicism is not about enduring shit passively, that's the failed dictionary definition. it says you should focus on the things you can control, borders and the safety of your people are such things.
of course leftists wouldnt know it because htey never read stoicism.

Platonism is still the greatest philosophy.
He teaches in a nutshell
1. Reality is the Good and is perceived through intelligence, not through the sense organs.
2. Faith in logic.
3. Virtue as rationality.
4. Justice is a chain of command where the most intelligent rightfully rule over the less intelligent.
5. Obedience to the law; civil disobedience is irrational and immoral.
6. Society must reinforce moral norms. Children must not be exposed to moral degeneracy.
7. Government must remain true to its founding principles and intent. The Republic is designed to prevent change. "Progressivism" is rightfully portrayed as irrational.
But liberals are falsifying his teachings as they are ought to do. They want to claim the greats for their own.
Stoicism is just a pragmatic branch of Platonism.
Take it from someone who has a useless bachelors in philosophy.

Explain.

Reminder that (((Stoicism))) is a (((semitic))) philosophy

>Stoicism was founded in Athens by Zeno of Citium in the early 3rd century BC

>Zeno of Citium (/ˈziːnoʊ/; Greek: Ζήνων ὁ Κιτιεύς, Zēnōn ho Kitieus; c. 334 – c. 262 BC) was of Phoenician descent

>Phoenicia (UK /fᵻˈnJʃə/ or US /fəˈniːʃə/;[2] from the Greek: Φοινίkη, Phoiníkē meaning either "land of palm trees" or "purple country"; Arabic: فينيقية, Fīnīqīyah) was an ancient Semitic thalassocratic civilization

He was persian. Ie the good kind of semites.

Seriously, if i had a time machine i would make sure that Iran didn't become a thocracy

>Stoicism

Was "Uncle Tom" (Uncle Tom's Cabin) a stoic? He was a noble figure in that book, though later reviled by black activists.

The best course of action is the one that is a benefit to the most people.

>Evolutionary incorporated sense of morality
u wot m8

Morals come from evolution?

yeah but Platonism also includes Plato's retarded political ideas so no
Thing is about philosphy is that you can pick and choose what you like about it

The Phoenicians were not Persian

Replying so I will get a future wife.

>he thinks platos utopia isnt a think to aim for

You, presumably a Jew

It could be radical scepticism but I have no way to be sure.

Notanargumentism

I arrived at stoicism organically after being ground down by life.

Thanks lucky Budda

His Republic is a metaphor for the state of a healthy mind/soul. In a healthy mind, as in the state, it is well and properly governed when reason has the highest authority. I fail to see what's retarded about this. He's absolutely correct.

Philosophy is a waste of time.

wew

Stoicism works, but its not for everyone

Yes and they misunderstand entirely the point of Stoicism, and forget that it was a warrior philosophy primarily

Good Kierkegaard lad, and Spinoza is also top tier.

Nihilism is trash. Be more like Kierkegaard, Danebro.

The God of the Stoics not not a God in the way we use that word today. Read something other than Antifa blogs and Horkheimer.

paragraphs my dude

>appeal to authority
>le logical fallacy
I bet you're super smart.

This is all great, but I agree with Aristotle more when it comes to understanding the good. Its not enough to know it, you must DO it.

Bentham plz

for a Brazilian, yes. You stand to gain nothing from Philosophy.

God tier: kekism

I dont think Stoics were living like what they write. Those writings were about ideal and exaggeration to some extent.

Marcus Aurelius tried for it damned hard. Would you stop each day to write your thought if you were the Emperor of the Roman empire at the Apex of it's power ?

God Tier
1. Platonism
2. Aristotelianism

Very Good Tier
3. Spinozism
4. Kantianism
5. Stoicism
6. Cartesianism/Rationalism in general

Overrated Tier
7. English empiricism (Locke, Berkeley, Hume)
8. Enlightenment Philosophes

Bad Tier
9. Logical Positivism
10. Romantic Philosophy (Hegel, Schelling, Fichte, etc.)
11. Medieval Philosophy
12. Analytic Christian Philosophy (Plantinga, etc.)

Shit Tier
13. Epicureanism
14. Marxism (including John Rawls)
15. Nihilism
16. Existentialism

Shit's Shit
17. Utilitarianism

x

Elder god tier: Phenomenology

You could place that with Kant, I think. No. 4 on my list. Still quite high.

Winrar

Actually scratch that, phenomenology goes with 10.

Buddhism is too nihilistic.

Nietzsche, Kiekegaard, and de Beauvoir are the kings/queen of how to live right

>being a stage-player
>being a fraud of words
>pretending to read with rapture the canon of your law in Nature
stoicfags get out

Add Hedonism in Shit tier.

This implies that the killer will last a week before I find him and shoot his face off.

Fuck you