Arctic Methane

There is a subject which demands your immediate attention, Sup Forums. I believe in your power; therefore, I transmit this information with the trust that you understand it's grave implications.

I am a believer in the power and speed of our viral memes, which by their infectious nature came to dominate discussion in the recent election. Therefore, I move that in the SELF INTEREST OF THE SURVIVAL OF OUR SPECIES we immediately bring it to the attention of ourselves and our community, and by extension, the rest of the world, that our immediate survival depends on how we handle 50 gigatons of methane which can be released into the atmosphere AT ANY TIME...

That would result, in the near future (

Other urls found in this thread:

truth-out.org/news/item/39957-release-of-arctic-methane-may-be-apocalyptic-study-warns
siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/n0905-7000-underground-gas-bubbles-poised-to-explode-in-arctic/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clathrate_gun_hypothesis
youtube.com/watch?v=QQkNxuQ0DoI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian–Triassic_extinction_event
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4335386/7-000-underground-methane-gas-bubbles-Russia.html
siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/features/discovered-200-plus-arctic-lakes-which-bubble-like-jacuzzis-from-seeping-methane-gas/
theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/24/us-scientists-launch-worlds-biggest-solar-geoengineering-study
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But when is a Gigaton a Jiggawatt?

hello where is the proofs

On the real note, yea man we are fucked. What exactly do you want us to do? Half of this board thinks basic chemistry is some sort of environmentalist/communist conspiracy. What do you want me to do about their stupidity?

These are articles that were on the front page of /r/ world news YESTERDAY...

truth-out.org/news/item/39957-release-of-arctic-methane-may-be-apocalyptic-study-warns

siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/news/n0905-7000-underground-gas-bubbles-poised-to-explode-in-arctic/

This is the "Clathrate Gun", an irreversible natural occurrence, which it will anger you to discover this late in the game, has already been fired.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clathrate_gun_hypothesis

Here is a link to a SERIES of arctic research scientists discussing arctic methane release on youtube.

youtube.com/watch?v=QQkNxuQ0DoI

>climate change = more harsh environement in third world countries

You climate change deniers retards are literally planning the biggest immigration of all time that will wipe the west off the face of the earth

ecology = redpill

I got this. Give me a lighter, a hair dryer, and all the extension cords you can find. I'm gonna light that bubble like a fart after hot chili night.

No, I'm sorry you are completely misunderstanding the scale of what I'm discussing. The implication for this much methane released SUDDENLY would change the chemical composition of the atmosphere too rapidly. We would not be able to adapt to it quickly enough - human beings would not survive. Your sense of scale is not where it should be. Mass human exodus is just ONE symptom of a much larger problem that threatens our existence on this planet AS A WHOLE.

Some of you should understand that this has happened before in earth's history. The LAST TIME THIS MUCH CARBON was released into the atmosphere was TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY TWO *MILLION* YEARS AGO.

HUMAN IMPACT ON ITS ENVIRONMENT HAS BEEN CATASTROPHIC. THE SELF DESTRUCT SEQUENCE HAS BEEN ACTIVATED.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian–Triassic_extinction_event

A VOLCANO THE SIZE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA OOZING LAVA FOR HALF A MILLION YEARS ejected as much carbon into the atmosphere as we have GLOBALLY... in two hundred years.

Bring it.

This is potentially far worse than the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs. More life died the last time this happened than at any other time period in earth's history.

They should not have been teaching us dinosaurs in school... they should have been teaching us "mammal-like reptiles" and the Permian era, AND HOW IT ENDED, AND HOW THAT CORRESPONDED TO OUR OWN CARBON EMITTED ACTIVITIES.

EMERGENCY people. SERIOUSLY THOUGH. SCIENCE THINGS ARE HAPPENING WHICH ARE BAD. YOU MUST START TALKING ABOUT ARCTIC METHANE!

cool. hopefully yellowstone will go at the same time and a comet will hit us too. go for the mass extinction triple play

Are there any funny/exciting memes to be spun out of this situation, though?

Because otherwise I just can't be bothered to care

Good. I hope it happens soon. I want to see this planet burn.

do you have any proof besides shilling fake websites

also sage

No you know what, I don't think you're fully integrating the information I'm sharing with you here. Those things aren't happening... they won't BE happening anytime soon... this one could happen AT ANY TIME and is very like TO happen IN THE NEAR FUTURE not ten years from now but... in the next few years? Four or five MAYBE?

What does that mean for you in the IMMEDIATE future? What does that mean for OUR ENTIRE SPECIES AND HISTORY as well as NINETY PERCENT OF THE LIFE ON EARTH? You're just going to throw up your hands and go, "oh cool well I hope those other outlandish events can happen too and we can all die even more."

Tell me I'm wrong. Go and start researching arctic methane and tell me that I'm wrong or why I'm wrong PLEASE. I would like to falsify this as quickly as possible, otherwise, it's time to start having this discussion globally and quickly.

why are you larping? 95% of the atmosphere is water vapor which is in cycled by the sun. do something valuable with your time faggot, stop attempting to coat your 'mom and dad never gave me attention so i'm gonna save the world so someone loves me' abandonment syndrome. kys

Yeah, funny exciting; the world is going to end. What could be more funny and exciting that that you dumb shit? This is Sup Forums I thought I came to the right place but apparently I should have gone elsewhere!

Humans have nothing to do with that shit. When it happens it happens, be prepared to survive it don't try to stop it.

Ok. Humans actually have EVERY SINGLE THING to do with it.

For industrial society to be what it is, for us to be sitting here having this discussion, implies that an enormous amount of energy had to be generated to make that possible. This energy had to come from somewhere, and it came from beneath the earth.

We harvested material that had been buried in the earth for untold eons and LIT IT ON FIRE as a way to power our enormous civilization. In our greed and ignorance, we exploited the earth in the mistaken belief that it could continue forever.

But deep within the earth, something ancient has been released. Something deadly. Methane Hydrate, normally frozen, will warm and be released in enormous explosions... they have already begun to form you can see them from space.

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4335386/7-000-underground-methane-gas-bubbles-Russia.html

More links to 'fake web sites' showing PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE of what I'm talking about happening AS WE SPEAK

siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/features/discovered-200-plus-arctic-lakes-which-bubble-like-jacuzzis-from-seeping-methane-gas/

I thought that was how it always worked? It's about to ice age on us from some cataclysmic event

OP, your ron paul meme says it all "it's too late." there's literally nothing we can do to prevent this. even if there were a way to cease all petroleum and coal extraction worldwide (pro tip: there isn't) it wouldn't make a difference. the gears are already turning

just try to enjoy the time we have left. here's a picture of a woman with wide hips to make you feel better

oh honey, did you wet your little panties again? it will be ok, mommy will change you and wipe your little bottom, don't cry sweetie-pie

I don't even care anymore. Its over, I just saw a powerpoint of AyyFloridaGore and he says we'll be all death in 10 years.

Look at this... we are doing something about it but keeping it quiet...

theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/24/us-scientists-launch-worlds-biggest-solar-geoengineering-study

"Geo-engineering study"

Trying to cool the arctic before it kills us all. We need to get drills in to the ground and start fracking that shit out FAST like the oil companies were talking about doing.

That article is on the second page of /r/ world news TODAY.

These processes need to start moving fast. We need to start spreading information on how to generate a self contained ecosystem. We can create miniature biodomes that circulate the air and water from the outside and learn to erect these shelters rapidly.

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

quite pungent indeed

THAT'S IT. BRAAAAP POSTING.

START MAKING IMAGES OF THE PLANET FARTING AND EVERYTHNG ON THE SURFACE DYING!

And have the caption read, "BRRRRRAAAAAAPPPP"

THOUSANDS of years of civilization, MILLIONS of years of evolution, *braaaaap*

The earth farted and it's all gone. Thanks monkeys, see ya later.