Why are people afraid of Nuclear power?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFs4vir_WsTxiWN00_TUeFqaWzuw4a4Pc
youtube.com/watch?v=3ToGfp9sunw
youtu.be/TLuKXOVnzhE?t=107
youtube.com/watch?v=bDw3ET3zqxk
enenews.com/
fukushima-diary.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=4MpTJ4ykgCw&list=PLw3jzIFn_oatFAZOBtdYVGmA9X0UifREU&index=18
exopolitics.blogs.com/peaceinspace/2014/02/faq-effect-of-fukushima-and-nuclear-testingdu-weapons-radiation-on-flying-in-commercial-airliners.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because they are faggots.

Ignorance/fear mongering from the media and big oil lobbyists. Plus when shit goes wrong it really goes wrong

Because the oil and coal companies tell them its bad. Even though nuclear is the cleanest safest cheapest most abundant energy source.

Because they don't know much about it. Tbf stuff like Fukushima and Chernobyl don't help and the media makes massive cases out of them.

Because the worst case always happens, eventually.

When things go wrong with nuclear power, they go very, very wrong.

Because even the current limited number of nuclear plants produce about 2,000 metric tons of waste per year. Waste which remains dangerous for a couple of millennia, and we don't have a great track record of dealing with the non-glowing industrial waste, let alone that shit.

Leftists started to chimp out because of Fukushima in my country. One of my friend's father lost his job because of the power plant being shut down.

Propaganda from (((coal companies)))

Because they think 1960s scifi atomic mutants are real.

they don't really get that nuclear power is just reverse alchemy, and we harness the heat from turning gold into lead (lel, uranium to lesser atoms) for a steam engine.

>Why are people afraid of Nuclear power?

The waste remains toxic for TENS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

It's that simple.

the waste isn't dangerous. it's the spent fuel, which can be recycled.

if that's there should be no stopping people from making nuclear powered vehicles.

Because it's nuclear power, literally using atoms to make energy, people fear what they don't understand.

Also it works, so lefties hate that. Heaven forbid something functions.

Because if they're built the nignogs, that shall take over Europe, will cause all the white people to flee causing the nuclear plants to end up in disrepair and chernobals will start appearing everywhere.

KYS

>the waste isn't dangerous

Uh-huh. Must be why they bury it under hundreds of tons of concrete in the most secure storage-bins ever produced by Man.

Because it's not dangerous.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFs4vir_WsTxiWN00_TUeFqaWzuw4a4Pc
this is a pretty good summary OP

There have been designs for nuclear powered cars. Guess why they weren't produced

Dump it in Mexico, Africa, China, or the Middle East. Literally kill two birds with one stone.

>it's the spent fuel, which can be recycled
INTO DEPLETED URANIUM ROUNDS THAT KILL BROWN CHILDREN

Those Muslim girls deserve a chance to have their genitals mutilated and to be sold into marriage and if you disagree you're Islamiphobic.

radiation can't do anything but spread, brother.

the good news is, marijuana cures cancer.

Hippys, also, pic related.

well this is just silly. I do hate islam.

People fear what they don't understand.

only a leaf would deny nuclear power produces waste thats dangerous to life for thousands of years.

better learn to speak chinese you dumb maple syrup eating cracker ass

But that was the result of total incompetence. It's like saying that because the Titanic hit an iceberg and didn't have enough lifeboats that we should ban all boat travel.

Chernobyl

Never trust the Nuclear Devil.

people are more familiar with boats than they are nuclear energy though so they innately neutral on boats because they know it's not dangerous but they're afraid of nuclear energy because of atom bombs

3 mile island, Chernobyl, Fukishima.

I work it Vogtle nuclear power plant on the unit 3 and 4 construction project. The new AP-1000 reactors are pretty much fool proof. The technology has come so far in nuclear power generation and really got held back after Chernobyl (operator error). The japs are retarded and built theirs like idiots.

>make electric car
>plug it into outlet powered by nuclear power station
done

>a nuclear plant built close to the ocean in an earthquake prone area

Wow, who would've thought that is a bad idea, this britbong is a genius

Actually this.

In an emergency, control Room personnel are trained/persuaded to keep the station on-line as long as possible, overriding failsafes if necessary.

The power plants themselves? They're built to run until something fucks up and then they shut down, permanently if necessary.

t. ex-Bechtel employee

I think the benefits outweigh the risks of when it comes to nuclear plants but they are far from perfect. And when a disaster strikes, it really can have devastating consequences.

I still think it should be used, but, its not like it is without risks.

Continued
That being said, it takes 10-15 years to build a nuclear power plant and can cost up to 10 billion USD. A natural gas plant or coal plant (even IGCC) can be built much faster and cheaper.

But disasters like the Titanic and the Hindenburg did get people spooked. And rightly so. There were immediate demands for greater regulation and safety standards - all good things.

And the same happens with disasters like Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, and Fukushima. Each of them shouldn't have happened if all warnings from experts in the field were listened to, and from these things we are able to advance nuclear safety tenfold.

But the difference is there isn't a massive anti-Boat lobby out there trying to get them banned.

Technically, it's solar but nuclear is based as fuck.

I'm afraid of any industry with a federal statutory cap on liability.

It it was so safe, why the $3B cap?

Solar, wind, and hydroelectrical are all anti-one-another. It's like the three stooges, and they all gang up on nuclear power.

Bechtel are some ball breakers man, I'm an inspector and worked as an x-ray tech on a Bechtel job, they were constantly trying to get me to change my calls.

There have been 400 nuclear reactors in all of history. Of those, 4 have melted down, one in Chernobyl and three in Fukushima.

That means 1% of all reactors melt down.

Then there is the issue of waste disposal, which was never solved and many tons of spent fuel remain in surface storage around the world. Oftentimes it's just sitting in the open air waiting for a destination.

It is also extremely expensive and heavily subsidized by governments.

Considering the cost, potentially catastrophic liability that could obliterate entire countries permanently, along with the many cheaper, lower risk and easier to manage alternatives like coal solar and hydro, nuclear is a foolish option.

Fpbp

Coal & oil are the only safe energy sources.

Big nose.

There is no such thing as 'safe' energy. Anything with that much power is dangerous, in and of itself.

fukushima

Why not use the warm water to keep heating and pushing it through multiple generators?

Heat is energy, you're kinda wasting some by using a cooling tower

Soviet propaganda. Now Saudi oil propaganda.

Yeah that sounds like Bechtel. You can make a lot of money with them but God help you if you do something that slows down construction.

>Because cherynobl and muh nuclear waste
But once we build a space elevator we can just fling that shit into space indefinitely

RETARD ALERT

>this is the level of knowledge of an anti nuke shill

>there have only been 400 reactors

kek

are advanced light water reactors a dead end?

They associate it with either Soviet incompetence and cyka blyad or with Nip arrogance and unwillingness to respond in the face of danger.

Germany, France, USA, our navies all mean nothing to them, nor do the vastly improved safety measures in even gen iii reactors (to say nothing of today's planned and under construction gen iv reactors)

Nobody ever got cancer from coal.

Chemical engineer here. I should love nuclear energy but i am not a fan at all. People think that they are smarter than they actually are. They all say that it is clean and safe and all. Its bullshit. Look at fukushima. What the fuck were they doing storing 40 years worth of spent fuel above the reactors, in ponds that were only supposed to store a couple of cores in a temporary situations. Sure, it is theoretically clean and safe, but people cannot be trusted. Management changes the risk rationale incrementally over the years, and sure enough, the ponds are full of spent fuel when a meltdown actually occurs. people are the problem not the technology...

>submarines are not vehicles
there was an airplane with a nuclear reactor inside, it was cancelled before they conected the reactor to the motors in the wings

idk, did a whole paper in college on why its great

Because it has the word "Nuclear" in it

That's enough to scare off retarded boomers

The cost, monetary and societal, of mining the material, and the consequence paid of mistakes (meltdowns).

>liberal college kid
>thinks nuclear power is safe

Retard. Grow up.

youtube.com/watch?v=3ToGfp9sunw

youtu.be/TLuKXOVnzhE?t=107

i'd assume because in the event of overheating the want as cold of water as possible.

Wat? It is stored in concrete casks above ground at the reactor site. It cannot be legally moved. Even if they decommision the plant, and return it to a Forrest, those casks sit there.

The federal govt is supposed to build a long term storage facility. Does not matter tho, gen iv reactors are being designed to burn the old fuel as fuel.

we do
kek

I was born and raised in the SFV and there was an issue with the Santa Susana Labratories. Unfortunately, the valley's become almost as bad as hollywood but even with rampant liberalism - no one ever actually talks about nuclear power. must muh environment. I worked less than a mile away from the site and people who live there have to sign agreements that if they get cancer, they can't sue or something or the other.
nuclear power seems efficient, i would just like to read more objective literature on the subject

>says germany, the country that completely banned nuclear power.

As a reminder, you can now stand near that thing to snap a pic. If something is super radioactive, it won't stay that way for long.

2 million deaths worldwide every year from breathing particulate matter from coal generated electricity. 750,000 in China alone. 100 dead from nuclear generated electricity in all of history. Luddities.

It's expensive.

this is probably the best answer in the thread

nationalized, nuclear only energy sector when?

BECAUSE THE FUCKING SIMPSONS INFECTED THEIR CONSCIOUSNESSES FOR FUCKING DECADES WITH BULLSHIT, COMPLETELY INACCURATE PORTRAYALS OF GODS ONE TRUE ENERGY SOURCE

AND THEN THE FUCKING BROKE SOVIETS WITH FUCKING IDIOTIC RBMK RUINED EVERYTHING

my solution is a railgun. make a giant ferrous metal container, and build a mag lev track a few hundred meters long,pointed up at a good angle. use the power from the nuclear plant to launch it at several times escape velocity. doesn't need a guidance system, doesn't need a big hole in the ground, and it would be much cheaper than continually drilling more containment sites. with modern materials science, we could build a container that even if for some reason it fell back to earth, it could hold up to the impact.

if you actually knew anything about chernobyl you would know they had countless chances to avoid that catastrophe, and it is just another example of the failures of communism

The next generation of fission reactors will use that waste as fuel. With PWRs less than 1% of the potential reaction has taken place before the fuel rods degrade too much under the intense pressures. So basically the other 99% of the potential energy is just sitting there waiting for us to get informed enough to be able to support further development of atomic energy.

Using nuclear energy itself isn't a bad thing, the problems people may have with it would be extracting Uranium which is very hazardous and can cause you to develop cancer. Another problem would be that you cannot have the fuel overheat, otherwise you get disasters like Fukishima. This makes nuclear power plants an attractive target for terrorists and attackers. I doubt that we would be attacked to where our power plants are targeted but those are the reasons why some people fear nuclear power.

(((Environmentalists))) killed Nuclear Power, our only realistic alternative to Fossil Fuel dependence, and I curse these fucking hippies and spineless retards who can witness the disastrous foreign policy revolving around oil and not realizing the consequences are a billion times worse than "muh radioactive waste"

you first

fucking this
we could have miracle reactors by now if we were allowed to FUCKING BUILD NEW, BETTER PLANTS

Because of Communism

Mining uranium is just as if not more dangerous than mining coal. Coal is just more abundant and relatively practical

> 2000 tons

That's fucking nothing.

Everyone needs to see this documentary

youtube.com/watch?v=bDw3ET3zqxk

Because they think it adds to nuclear proliferation and "muh radioactivity"

I think nuclear is the way to go until we develop a better more efficient and safer method

I also acknowledge how catastrophic it would be if the world was nuclear and things went wrong, dunno why people can't be for something and acknowledge it's risks

Fukushima is the worst disaster of our time and there's literally nothing we can do to stop it.

Tepco doesn't know where melted cores are because they have melted deep into to the earth and radioactive groundwater keeps leaking into ocean. We cannot just pour concrete over it because it will leak into ocean anyway. Radiation inside the buildings is too high even for robots and humans would collapse in seconds.

Marine life is dying in pacific, you can google "pacific die-offs". MSM is covering it up to avoid global panic. Tokyo isn't safe for 2020 olympics either. I would not be suprised if they were cancelled because by 2020 Japan is really fucked. People have radiation sickness symptoms and birth defects have gone trough roof.

Just remember my words if you don't believe me now. Fukushima will lead to major panic in the future when MSM cannot cover it up anymore. It's much worse than chernobyl, reactor 3 had MOX-fuel made from plutonium, thats why it exploded critically, it wasn't hydrogen explosion. It has been estimated that by now Fukushima has released over hundred times more radioactive fallout into ocean than Chernobyl did into atmosphere.

America isn't safe either. Jet stream brings radioactive particles over the pacific and ocean currents will spread them around the world.

enenews.com/

fukushima-diary.com/

Follow them if you want redpill on this. People don't realize that it will slowly kill whole globe. What happens when Japan runs out of nuclear engineers and becomes inhabitable? Who will fix it then?

We r to stupid and greedy to be using things so destructive...

Aircrews and people who fly a lot are suffering from radiation poisoning because planes attract radioactive particles from Fukushima:

youtube.com/watch?v=4MpTJ4ykgCw&list=PLw3jzIFn_oatFAZOBtdYVGmA9X0UifREU&index=18

Pilot are having blackouts and seizures, even fistfights have occurred. Aircrews get more radiation during 40 hours of flying than nuclear workers get in a year. Radiation levels inside planes have increased over tenfold after 2011 Fukushima accident. There's lots of static electricity on airplane skin which attracts radioactive particles and engines are sucking them also. Wigner effect is causing planes to fail.

exopolitics.blogs.com/peaceinspace/2014/02/faq-effect-of-fukushima-and-nuclear-testingdu-weapons-radiation-on-flying-in-commercial-airliners.html

Fukushima is massive coverup and it's much worse than MSM lets you believe. It's still leaking as we speak.

Thorium.

if ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

people are the problem. they will rationalise the risk and calculate that its totally safe, and that they have designed everything for a once in whatever scenario situation, and rreassure everyone that the chance of disaster is 1e-20, etc... but then a unforseen situation occurs or people be people, and shit hits the fan. Someone pointed out that 1 percent of reactions have melted down and that is very telling.

But someone will say something smart in retrospect and say that it is safe now and nothing bad could ever happen again... bullshit!

Also, the lifecycle cost is huge and the legacy is eternal. How can anybody say with any certainty that we can look after the mess for 100k years. That's like saying fuck you kids, and grandkids, and great grandkids, etc...

People are fucking retards that cannot be trusted with the dragon of nuclear power...

Ok, show a video of someone with a Geiger counter in Nipland outside of Fukushima.

I'm all for nuclear except the fact that it's more water intensive than solar or wind. But other than that I'm all for it, it creates a vast amount of jobs and I would be in full support if we decided to go nuclear in Australia (if we could afford it that is)

Look at y country, it's been raped and ravaged by coal and gas mining, almost all our nonlethal natural animals have been killed.

And now my government wants to build a giant pahjeet mine that will be the biggest coal mine on earth? The Adani group want to get a loan from our government for $1billion because the group themselves (only worth 19billion) can't afford the 22 billion dollar mine!

Just kill me user, I'm sick of my government always pulling a Jew on us to get moar sheckles.