Never seen a US citizen clarify their healthcare system

Amerifats listen up. I've always seen these posted on jewbook and other social media sites, but I don't understand whether they're falsified or what. Are bills in the US really this high without insurance, or are high bills just given to people with insurance because the hospitals know they'll pay up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/096k7xKxUaY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>are high bills just given to people with insurance because the hospitals know they'll pay up
Bingo.

Insurance actually drives up prices because easy availability of money encourages hospital billing departments to jack up the price of everything.

This is the same perverse cycle that causes increases in financial aid to lead to universities here increasing their tuition at rates that outpace inflation.

On a side note, all of this is negotiable. Insurance companies themselves negotiate these charges down, but most doctors will also give you a discount if you're willing to pay out of pocket. I have a $2000/yr premium and spend *MAYBE* $500/yr on healthcare, so I don't even bother billing the insurance company anymore.

fpbp, came here to post mostly this.

It boggles my mind when people don't understand that an insurer guaranteeing coverage means that healthcare providers can charge out the ass on paper for this stuff and get rich off of it

Case in point: Martin Shkreli

What kind of 5 stars luxury hotel is that?
Seriously, a suite at Ritz costs less.
What kind of drugs sum up to 88k dollars?
How many blood, urine, feces and other samples did they analyse so that laboratory account for that much?

I would understand driving the prices up, but for 5 days, without even fucking surgery that bill has increased hundred fold....

As far as I'm aware as seen in the picture, sharp healthcare is a specialty medical group. So, more advanced surgeries, treatments and what not take place. 150k wouldn't be the final price due to insurance/hospital negotiating. I had a major surgery for tumor removal that was 68k in total. So some serious shit had to be done for 150k.

99% of university funds come from the government along with 99% of student loans. The only universities exempt from this are private. Are you aware the government does not provide health insurance?

You're like 1/2 right, and 1/2 wrong. The reason the spending is so high for both is government involvement. Remember the whole reason for ACA was that insurance companies DIDN'T want to pay the increased costs........... So they past the cost onto their customers.

The reason the bills are going sky high is part of the ACA is a declaration to hospitals for yearly bailouts. Meaning no matter WHAT - if they go broke they will have the government pay for all their bills at the end of the year. (Medicaid)

Snakebite that needed rare antivenom in a hurry.

1.) Hospitals have high prices with the expectation that it will be negotiated down by the insurance company / individual (if uninsured). All the better if some rich fuck decides to pay full price.

2.) The system is broken primarily because hospitals / drug companies / doctors / etc. get away with charging what they can. This can be due to laws, lack of competition, and other factors.

Basically, the U.S. gets a poor deal on healthcare and uninsured people are doubly fucked because they have little leverage to lower bills on their own and no viable (affordable) options for insurance.

>I would understand driving the prices up, but for 5 days, without even fucking surgery that bill has increased hundred fold....

Because no offense, but you are poor, and your nation is poor. The state I live in alone has a bigger economy than your entire country.

Think about this. Would you rather live in cuba with free healthcare and no food, or would you rather live in the US where there is more food than you will ever eat, more medical care than you will ever use, and all you have to do is pay for it.

How much is your life worth too you?

If you needed an emergency heart surgery but it would cost you 50k would you rather die or have medical debt at 50k -- which you would NEVER have to pay and would NOT go on your credit?

We are forced to pay for the Niggers and Illegals that use the Emergency room for a cold or throat ache. It's illegal to not treat "emergency" patients. Naturally, somebody has to pay the bill.

Because here's the biggest thing - in France can I get immediate surgery for just about any problem by just walking into a hospital? My father for instance had to get a triple bypass, and had to wait a whopping 6 hours for essentially free care paid for by a private company -- do you have that option?

there is also the matter of malpractice insurance driving up cost because niggers sue for everything

As who you are replying to noted tho, $88k is the kind of sum you nervously negotiate over suitcases in Colombian hotel rooms, and this is for (presumably..) 1 person, for (probably..) a couple of days. Senor Escobar had fuck all on Big Pharma and the snakeoil industry, this shit spiralled out of control long time ago. muh 'b-but Health Insurance is so expensive..' - no fucking wonder, look at that shit. Someone is earning here, big time.

MY ELBOW FEEL FUNNY

youtu.be/096k7xKxUaY

Bingo. Third-party payers increase the prices in a transaction. If the transactions were restricted to just family/university and patient/doctor, prices would be lower. The same goes for housing and subprime mortgages: third-party loan originators with no skin in the game grant loans beyond buyers' ability to repay and then pass the loans off to banks.

Universities and hospitals have a second built-in problem, though: both hide costs to serve the poor. When poor people without insurance and unable to pay go to a hospital, the hospital cannot ethically refuse to serve them, so they pass the costs on to wealthier patients in the form of higher costs. When universities charge tuition, only some pay the listed cost, while many poorer students receive tuition reductions or tuition-waiving "student jobs" whose costs are passed on to wealthier students. If colleges simplified tuition structures and charged one uniform price always, that price would be much lower, but universities need diversity, you know?

If by 3rd party you mean the government than you are correct. The cost of healthcare didn't ramp up until Medicaid/Medicare those two alone are 45% of our entire yearly budgets. Or about 2.5x defense. Imagine that. The worlds biggest army cost almost 1/3 of our medical costs......

Just get tricare

The core of the problem is our system, for the most part, abstracts the payor from use user of the services.

Basically this
>go to er for valid but minor reason
>get 10 stiches and some antibiotics
>get bill from hospital for 1200 dollars
>insurance pays 1000 bucks
>Oh well 200 bucks is nothing to be upset about
Nevermind that the whole thing should have cost maybe 1 or 2 hundred to begin with. Hospitals jack prices, insurance companies pay because they are rolling in the cash and it perpetuates a system that makes them necessary, and uninsured poors and degenerates are the ones left without a chair

The same thing has happened with college tuition.

There's definitely something to that. Private companies back in the day could refuse to insure someone or could refuse to grant a student loan. Medicaid/Medicare/ACA are designed to prevent refusal, and the government hands out student loans like candy. The ability to judge risks and refuse to insure/loan was a vital part of the system that kept costs lower. When the government intervened in that and eliminated that check on costs, it made things much worse. Still, third-party payers still inject some extra cost even when private.

This

>implying cubas economy doesnt just suck because of 7 decades of US embargo - while the us also forced south america, africa and europe to follow their lead

ps: cuba actually has pretty good health care R&D