Help a guy real quick

I've stared at the sun a few times, sure it wasn't great but I don't believe my eyes got fucked.

Is there something different with the eclipse that might make it extra dangerous? I'm a faggot that isn't smart.

Other urls found in this thread:

spacescience.org/software/libraries/map.php
youtube.com/watch?v=v11rcOjYaNg
youtube.com/watch?v=66uYT0WBT08
eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm
google.com/amp/heavy.com/news/2017/08/solar-eclipse-diy-box-pinhole-projector-instructions-video-how-to-make-viewer-cereal-at-home-homemade/amp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes.

it's not going to damage your eyes if you look for a few seconds. if you open your eyes with your fingers and keep your gaze fixed on the blaring sun then after a while you probably will do damage, time probably depends on the person.

Do I need those special jerk glasses absolutely or what? I don't want to get ass raped in my eyes by the fucking sun.

Thanks, judging by my location I'm getting nearly 95% eclipse, if I have my eyes open while it happens that's fine right? Not planning on looking up until it seems to be happening. Never experienced this before and I don't want to be the only retard staying indoors.

It is safe to look at the Sun during a total eclipse, the reason people recommend not doing it without glasses is because the Sun eventually comes out from behind the Moon.

Any other eclipse, no. The dangerous effects will still be present, even if the Sun is not as bright - which could be more dangerous as you're tempted to stare at it longer.

Here's what I'm presumably getting. No go?

The glasses meme is a jewish plot to make more shekels.
Don't fall for it user.

fuck me

The radio recently announced to me
>DON'T LOOK AT THE SUN
even though there's not going to be a total eclipse here

nogo.

The UV radiation will still be present, you'll get a crescent shaped blind spot.

it's a cover up, it's a total lie that looking at the sun is bad for you at all. they don't want you to look because you might see the truth, that the sun is actually flat.

and it works. everyone averts their eyes like good sheep. but not i. tomorrow i shall stare directly at the sun no matter the discomfort and i will learn the truth, because i am not some gullible fool.

During the last eclipse we had, I didn't have those weird filter glasses and I looked for a few seconds at the sun as it was starting and all it did was leave me with seeing green blobs for a few minutes and that disappeared.

You'll be fine, just don't stare at the sun for more than a few seconds because yeah it can be uncomfortable/do damage.

but in all seriousness don't do this, i'm only joking. fuck some people you don't know, they might be dumb enough to be convinced

Indeed. Just to extend my question, would looking at that be more dangerous than the regular sun? I've seen someone say something about pupils dilating and it mixing with there still being light?

I stare at the sun all the time. It's a Jewish trick not to look. Energises my testicles to produce super semen which I then squirt upon an unexpecting woman.

I had to use a special filter to look at Venus travel across the sun, that was pretty amazing, this tiny little black blob just moving very slowly against a giant orangey/dark circle.

DO IT DO IT VENUS, DO IT FOR ME!

Take an old cd, scrape off the top layer of plastic and use that.

this

and you wont start to feel anything is wrong for a couple of hours later, so dumbasses think "well my eyes arent hurting right now as I'm looking at it so it cant be bad for me" since you're used to looking at a lightbulb and looking away because it's too bright rather than UV radiation that doesnt look as bright to the naked eye but burns your fucking retinas like how it gives you a sun burn on your pale whitey skin

You shouldn't look directly at an eclipse.
That made my mitsubishi hard to work on.

You can look at the eclipse itself. It's just anywhere in between is going to burn your eyes like you are looking at the sun because anywhere in between is looking at the sun with a giant rock slightly in the way. The key thing is not to stare and yes it will burn a fucking image on your retina.

I don't know about that, but scientifically it sort of makes sense. Eyes work somewhat like a camera, if it's dark they let in more light (similar to changing your fstop)

If anything, it would mean the amount of time you could look at the Sun without damage is shorter.

So if a normal Sun, you could look at for 5s, a partial eclipse Sun you might be able to look at for 3s, or maybe 8s because it has less energy.

Bottom line is if you want to get a glimpse, get a glimpse, but not more than that.

Your eyes become accustomed to the darkness during the eclipse (pupils dilate etc) to let more light in. When the moon moves out of alignment, you get the full brightness returning quite fast.
Looking at the sun during totality isn't a big problem - there's some bright bits around the edges which are stunning & you get to see the detail of the corona. The danger is at the end.

Also, (((they))) don't want you to see the alien megastructure that's only visible when the sun's light is blocked out.

It seriously is this
>can actually stare at the sun in direct sunlight during the day for a few seconds with your naked eye
>nothing happens
>"no goy when it gets blocked it makes it worse you need special goy glasses!"

I appreciate the mixed effort, but I seem to have dropped my IQ and everything else because now I'm more nervous to do it anyway.

What happens with natural sunglasses? I know the geek glasses paraded by the news and internet are better, and that sunglasses don't help much, but I've looked directly at the sun for maybe 3 seconds before and was just left with eye floaters for at most 30 minutes. The main question here is, during the eclipse itself, if the sun peaking over the moon (as I am 95% eclipsed apparently) is more dangerous than a complete sun view, due to pupils dilating, could that dangerous effect be lessened with sunglasses? They're all I have.

Thank you for sticking with my autistic retardation, it's clear even the meme fags know more than I.

Yes my brother. No men know of the secrets we can take from the sun when he is weak.

If you are a nigger your melanin will protect you.

It is more dangerous because of the darkness in combination with the strong light source. Don't look at the sun with the naked eye, trust me it fucks your eyesight.

I think the dangers are overblown but I don't recommend pushing your luck like I do. I sometimes stare at the normal Sun with no issues, but I wear contact lens. 13 years ago the Devil tricked me into staring at the sun with 200x(?) magnification for 10 seconds per eye then rotating, several times per day for a few weeks. Luckily my faith was so high that I was ok. At first I thought I saw mercury in front of the Sun but it was probably just a sun spot. The moment my faith dropped it hurt for a second then I stopped using the telescope. Then wherever I focused I would see a tiny black dot in the middle. Doctor said I had irreversible solar maculapathy(?) but within a few weeks it healed itself. This is the only pic related I still have, but the SS or other U.S. agency likely has aerial footage.

I'm a whitey

No. The sun is mighty and proud, you cannot look while it is strong or his presence will destroy you. You can look around him, but you can never challenge the sun with your gaze or you will be stricken down with blindness for your arrogance.
But during the eclipse for a tiny moment the sun grows weak and is overcome. Here you can meet his gaze and be safe for in that moment he has lost his power and his sight.

>I wear contact lens
I have glasses?
>not hipster
I can't imagine that changes anything though, but I'm learning more and more that I'm out of the loop every day.

Turn back to the sun. Put camera phone on selfie. Watch it over your shoulder.

hahah
whats the fucking point then
you can watch a video right now

Better yet:
>put filter on mirror glass
>look at sun through mirror in complete safety

Singular attempt to highlight my final question and easily the most dumb.

shade 14 welding lens will be fine

Here is an honest answer.

People look at the sun all the time. Looking for a few seconds doesn't do anything. There are jobs that require looking in the sky for extended periods.

If you want to be able to look at the eclipse for more than a minute you can go to your local library and borrow some glasses: spacescience.org/software/libraries/map.php

Welding goggles are also okay. They say 14 is needed, but 12 is okay for a few minutes.

I believe normal sunglasses would allow your eyes to dilate letting in more light, making it possibly worse

Right? I used to make my fire team in the military stare at the sun and scream as punishment for acting stupid

Welding goggles are woke.

Thanks again

im going to sleep through it because its 5am local time right now and the eclipse happens in like 5 hours AMA

>be american
>intentionally ruin your squadmates eyesight for shits and giggles
>get shot

you sound like a shit NCO

youtube.com/watch?v=v11rcOjYaNg
youtube.com/watch?v=66uYT0WBT08

stay woke

My Mom fucked up her eyes looking at an eclipse.

Fuck women are dumb

>I don't believe my eyes got fucked
Yar it wont look like it now
But itll show in a few years

>be a kid
>get laser pointer as gift
>wooow look into the laser it makes my eyes feel funny
>be 15 years later
I have barely workig eyesight

But coming from an amateur astronomer, dont fuck your eyes up looking at the sun.
If you dont have anything to watch it with, atleast stack a couple CDs to look through them
Enough light gets blocked out, if you use em as sunglasses

Nah just games for boots

Maybe, but they didn't go blind,didn't die, and quit fucking up

I looked at the sun when I was a kid for maybe 5 seconds, now that I think about it, at most. I already had glasses by that time, which was probably the first time I had done it.

I think it'd be best to stay in doors and let them do their thing out there.

The CD suggestion is somewhat legit. Most people I assume have never noticed that they aren't opaque and don't have to be except for the wavelength of the optical mechanism meant to read them.

Having stared at the sun for a bit as a youth myself, I would have to recommend against it. I have to looks slightly askance when reading books in order to get the full detail of the lettering, but it's something I guess you get used to eventually so that you don't notice it as much anymore, kind of like not having a foreskin.

Do not look at the fucking sun.

It is almost going to be as black as night, and your pupils are going to be slammed wide open. You are then going to be staring at a fantastically energetic UV light source - the region of sun still showing.

Anybody that has a stick arc welder should have a hood you can borrow. I have read recommendations that you should use a shade 13 or 14 lens (darker than normal for stick welding), but I think a shade 11 should be fine - and I've watched a previous partial eclipse though one of those.

If you can't do that, read the top of this page and follow the links.

eclipse2017.org/2017/path_through_the_US.htm

Maybe the point is not doing something that even ancient people knew not to do. If you don't want to buy meme glasses, and want too see it with your own eyes, go ahead. Maybe you'll burn an eternal crescent in your eyes, maybe you won't. By the why how many times did you stick the fork in the socket, after your mom told you not to.

If you fags want to do it safely and don't have the glasses, take a cardboard box and cut a hole in the bottom. Tape your cellphone in the bottom of the box so the camera looks though the hole, and the tape seals light from around the edges of the phone.

Fire up the movie recorder, point the camera at the sun and watch the screen of the phone with the box shielding your face and eyes.

Never tried it, but this should work fine.

The moral thing to do would be to step up the trolling and go ogle the sun through a piece of plexiglass and exclaim loudly so that people want to know what you're seeing.

Then hand out more pieces of plexiglass and tell them it will take a few minutes before they can see it.

That will eventually damage your camera's optic sensor.

#1 Maybe, but sure beats blowing out your eyes.

#2 In the lab it takes a fuckload of energy to blow out pixels on a CCD (like focusing a pulsed laser on it). I assume a couple minutes in the direct sunlight won't hurt it. Besides when you leave your phone on the dash, it is the heat that kills it, not the light killing the camera sensor.

We have an instinct to squint when looking at the sun, preventing our eyes from taking too much damage. With the moon blocking the sun, that reflex doesn't kick in, but the effect is just as if the moon wasn't there. Cut a small hole in a shoebox and look through it Op

Here op google.com/amp/heavy.com/news/2017/08/solar-eclipse-diy-box-pinhole-projector-instructions-video-how-to-make-viewer-cereal-at-home-homemade/amp/
They taught us since grade school how to build one its really cheap if you dont have the glasses

here's one of the cheapest ways that poor people in third world country have been using for centuries: pee in a transparent plastic bottle and look through that. the melanin in your urine will protect your eyes. the liquid will of course distort the view and make it look like shit so it's recommended to not be a nigger and just buy the fucking glasses or if you are a nigger just steal someone else's glasses.

Taking a nice, long pull out of the jenkem bottle is another good way to stare at the sun.