How do we fix the isekai genre, Sup Forums?

Colton Lewis
Colton Lewis

Hard mode: "you can't, burn it all down" posts are forbidden

無理ゲーモード: write a synopsis the next best-selling isekai web novel turned light novel turned anime.

All urls found in this thread:
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=4875
http://www.novelupdates.com/stag/male-to-female/
Eli Anderson
Eli Anderson

You got that gif from Tumblr, right?

that tint
that file and image size

Jace Martinez
Jace Martinez

two words:

Sci-fi Isekai

think about it

Christian Robinson
Christian Robinson

Stop using the fantasy/game rpg setting and make it sci-fi. Also, make the MC the only human or humanoid in case there's ayy lmaos.

Benjamin Wright
Benjamin Wright

/tg/thread/47126052#p47126052

James Cox
James Cox

Part of the appeal of being thrust in a backwards medieval society that runs on magic is being able to bask in the air of superiority that your <current year> moral sensibilities and scientific know-how gives you though. In a sense, being from a modern society is a cheat skill in and of itself.

With sci-fi it's the exact opposite. You're dumped into a civilization far, far more advanced than the one you're familiar with. What could you possibly offer them?

Luis Diaz
Luis Diaz

Wanted to contribute, but I just realized that, Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku is a 'spirited away to another world' kind of anime and now I'm sad.

Isaiah Cook
Isaiah Cook

More Isekai series like Warlock in a Magus world

where the MC actually has to struggle to be a fucking all-powerful wizard

Liam Brown
Liam Brown

Less wish fulfillment. Your new world is not easy to live in. It is hostile, the rules the people live by are unfamiliar, you have no relevant skills and limited supplies.

Mason Hernandez
Mason Hernandez

The solution, of course, would be to throw the protag into a sci-fi setting where everyone is retarded.

Tyler Richardson
Tyler Richardson

So, sao but with sci-fi elements?
you never said the mc had to be smart.

Jaxon Baker
Jaxon Baker

You mean like 40k?

Jonathan Powell
Jonathan Powell

You looked at didn't you

Kayden Bell
Kayden Bell

there's a lot series where the MC gets fucked over constantly (Kuro no Maou, Re:Zero, Seirei Gensouki, Katahane no Riku, Akuyaku)

what I want is a series where MC doesn't get a "cheat" ability and has to pursue the power he wants to get

Joseph Sanchez
Joseph Sanchez

...yes

I just want my warhams animu already goddammit

Benjamin Jones
Benjamin Jones

I'd actually want a 40k Isekai with an OPMC

mostly for curiosity reasons

Angel Carter
Angel Carter

more ecchi more stats more p2w

Justin Stewart
Justin Stewart

Idiocracy anime when?

Samuel Garcia
Samuel Garcia

that I can see as an anime

the series was basically Tsukkomi: the movie

Jayden Evans
Jayden Evans

This. Self-inserting wish fulfillment and chest abilities are what kill the genre.

Grayson Turner
Grayson Turner

Well for starters, who says the other world necessarily has to be fantasy? It could be sci-fi, or even a mundane world just like ours in another universe.

Furthermore, why does the MC necessarily have to be reincarnated or summoned into the other world? Being limited in his ability to affect the other world could be interesting. For example, maybe the MC can only communicate with a single character in that world and has to guide her using only words?

What I'm saying is, what if a boy falls in love with a girl.
Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with the girl’s phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.
But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day’s confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this universe at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC’s own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.
Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

Joseph Brooks
Joseph Brooks

So MC's ability is tsukkomi?

Easton Ortiz
Easton Ortiz

Who should be the waifus

Brayden Phillips
Brayden Phillips

It's fixing itself. We've already reached the point where people are playing with it and deconstructing it, and one;s that's done it will either evolve or fade. And no matter what a few extremely generic ones will still be created and eke out an existence, but hopefully even the plebs will get tired of that eventually.

Levi King
Levi King

Guy gets transported into medieval fantasy with magic and shit. The usual

Except he introduces communism and becomes Marx/Lenin

Hudson Wright
Hudson Wright

Mushoku Tensei and arifureta kind of make the MC work for an ability, but the thing is, in both cases they get too powerfull and too quickly, rendering future endeavors pointless.

Thankfully, M.T. focus is in turning his horribly shitty mc into a semi decent human being and his struggles to mantain whatever happiness he has acquired. (My hate for mc never subsided, but i still pulled through)

On the other hand Arifureta is more about a tsundere mc being angry at the gods for sending him to this world, instead of that guy who betrayed him or his other shitty classmates, being generally grumpy and having weird adventures with odd characters. (Fuck off with the harem dammit, one girl as a love interest was enough)

Landon Hernandez
Landon Hernandez

So, "I Died and Was Reincarnated As the God-Emperor of Mankind in Another World"?!

John Rodriguez
John Rodriguez

Consider this:

nameless soldier is in a warzone lamenting the futility and carnage of the war. When all of a sudden a totally-not-A-bomb activates next to him with the light engulfing him. When he comes to he is stuck in a wilderness somewhere with little to no supplies and only a robe as his clothes. He decided to travel the world with no special skills or abilities or much knowledge besides basic survival skills he learned in boot-camp, not even knowing the language of the inhabitants. Eventually he falls in love with the world that wasn't tarnished by constant modern warfare and the wonders the knew world brings despite some of the dangers and trials it provides.

he also became a cute girl

Justin Sanders
Justin Sanders

To fix wish fullfillment we first need to teach otaku writers to write about female protagonists/characters in general.

like any of you can do that

Kayden Butler
Kayden Butler

More comedy less wish fulfillment, konosuba had the right idea.

Nolan James
Nolan James

So MC gets summoned into a gundam series?

James Parker
James Parker

The reason why it's always in fantasy settings is because that fantasy world would literally be impossible to achieve. A scifi world is one that explores what the world could be.

Brandon Rivera
Brandon Rivera

Yes

Make it happen Japan

Brayden Nguyen
Brayden Nguyen

Rudi wasn't too powerful (without his armor)

anything King level can kick his ass

Liam Hughes
Liam Hughes

How about we just reverse the roles?

Isekai magician/warlord/etc MC gets transported into real world Tokyo and has to find a way to survive.

Ian Russell
Ian Russell

I can write about female protagonists. They won't be well-written though.

Christopher Perry
Christopher Perry

as if the chuuni wasnt wish fulfilling

Sebastian Martinez
Sebastian Martinez

but Isekai with feMCs are the best ones

you mean like Maou-sama?

Wyatt Gonzalez
Wyatt Gonzalez

We don't fix what isn't broken, and that's it. Let people self-insert into whatever they want.

Owen Bell
Owen Bell

How to fix
more lewd

How to ruin
take away lewd

Josiah Fisher
Josiah Fisher

would that really qualify though? Those are usually where the demon runs/escapes to our world to hide

Brayden Gray
Brayden Gray

you can't, burn it all down

Lincoln Butler
Lincoln Butler

I can't understand what you're saying.

Jackson Baker
Jackson Baker

Why do you say it's so bad? Is it because you, yourself cannot self-insert into the MC's role or feel the wish fullfilment catering to you?

Connor Gutierrez
Connor Gutierrez

You mean like Mushoku Tensei.

The faggot actually worked hard from his childhood and got strong.

Jaxson Parker
Jaxson Parker

We need more shows like maou sama

Carter Ortiz
Carter Ortiz

Because it is bad.

Kevin Lee
Kevin Lee

Everyone is smarter than the self-insert
What is the appeal fat otakus that want to restart their life?

Cameron Brown
Cameron Brown

What the fuck is isekai

Joshua Barnes
Joshua Barnes

I can, they just all end up being Aty-sensei from Summon Night

Isaac Wright
Isaac Wright

He worked hard but also had incredible talent from the get go too with his Laplace factor.
Some isekai stories just shit on the MC the entire ride.

Hudson Peterson
Hudson Peterson

But it's still something people enjoy. If it weren't, there wouldn't be so many series about that subject.

Grayson Harris
Grayson Harris

how about actually adding a plot to them

most of them is just MC getting the most powerful of powers and doing jackshit with them because he has no ambition and believes giving a damn to be troublesome

at best the goal is to get a harem which is easily done because they just gravitate to him

Let's have an Isekai where a delinquent goes mad with power and effectively becomes a Greek hero kingdom ruling/monster slaying/women seducing/attempting godhood and everything

Noah Brown
Noah Brown

twilight for virgins (male)

Nathaniel Baker
Nathaniel Baker

we need my wifes son is the demon lord

the main character is the father of one of these overpowered reincarnation mcs who goes on to do horrible things and commit atrocities.
the dad doesnt understand why this kid acts like he does while the siblings are "normal"
starts to think his wife cheated on him.
you watch him raise his family. a year after the kid sets off alone dad starts hearing news about his sons actions. the rest of it is him trying to stop his kid and seeing the aftermath.

Jason Brown
Jason Brown

means "otherworld"

Jeremiah Hall
Jeremiah Hall

"spirited away to another world" genre.

William Sanders
William Sanders

More ones with female MCs

Justin Hughes
Justin Hughes

The Laplace factor also gimped him like mad by making him unable to access the natural physical superpowers everybody else could attain though.

Meanwhile Sylphy not only had the Laplace factor that gave her a huge mana pool just like Rudy but it DIDN'T gimp her ability to become Superman like everyone else. And then the author decided to relegate her to the official stay-at-home housewife position. Fucking faggot.

Jordan Brown
Jordan Brown

The issue I have is that MC starts off overpowered right away. He doesn't really struggle or have to work for a lot, and just curbstomps everything while everyone around him praises him. It takes away from the story and denies the MC chances for growth.

It makes them go from just being self-insert to pure wank.

Michael Parker
Michael Parker

So kind of like Tilea's Worries from the mother's point of view.

John Davis
John Davis

Are you retarded? The cheat ability is what makes them popular. Tensei self insert got reborn with super talents, making learning thing an breeze. The target audience do not want to fantasize about hardwork, failures and drawbacks, moron.

Lincoln Bennett
Lincoln Bennett

MT is garbage. Everyone is sucking his dick constantly showering and mentioning how fast and talented he is. Guy got a new life with great magical super genes.

Isaac Miller
Isaac Miller

But the two most recent examples we have for this sort of story didn't do that, in Konosuba the MC is a useless piece of shit (with extraordinary luck, but it's still only fucking luck) and in Re:Zero the MC has no power at all other than being able to respawn.

Brayden Ward
Brayden Ward

My Wife's Son Is A Daemon Prince

Logan Diaz
Logan Diaz

It's kind of sad how even though Konosuba was a comedy show, it still also had the best, most realistic depiction of what some otaku schmuck suddenly living in a fantasy RPG world would be like. Weak, struggling with even basic quests and barely scrapping by in poverty.

Isaiah Harris
Isaiah Harris

Isekai but with WRASSLIN

Asher Nguyen
Asher Nguyen

Sometimes it's just ridiculously OP. Like Re:Monster

John Lee
John Lee

Cheat abilities are hardly what make them popular. The idea of being able to play around with magic powers is what makes them popular. Those magic powers don't necessarily have to be top of the line god class, just enough to suffice.

It doesn't have to be one extreme or the other. Your MC can be talented enough to be able to get on the fast-track to playing around with high-class magic abilities without being the most overpowered motherfucker in the setting with several snowflake cheat skills at his disposal.

Isaac Harris
Isaac Harris

Konosuba is a series poking fun at the genre though.

Caleb Scott
Caleb Scott

Weak, struggling with even basic quests and barely scrapping by in poverty.

Did we watch the same anime?

Robert Brown
Robert Brown

isn't the point of the other world the romantic wonder of having magic or the fact that it's technology is significantly lesser and thus MC can use that to his advantage?

both gets thrown away when the MC has a super special snowflake still that trumps everyone in the world because reasons. Now the conventional magic of the world is useless, and he doesn't even have to use modern knowledge (he might as well of just been born there without the other-world prologue).

Jacob Gutierrez
Jacob Gutierrez

Everyone is sucking his dick constantly showering and mentioning how fast and talented he is.

for about one Volume most people call him weak, perverted, and stupid after that

Isaac Anderson
Isaac Anderson

You forgot the part where the only job class he qualified for was the class literally anyone can join and is widely seen as the weakest.

Robert Roberts
Robert Roberts

stealing chuuni panties not the strongest cheat ever

Alexander Parker
Alexander Parker

party member is immune to that effect
Life just isn't fair

Gavin Hernandez
Gavin Hernandez

Do this but for an entire season

Jackson Murphy
Jackson Murphy

Chink novels don't count. And I'm pretty sure that novel falls into xanxia.

Kevin Ross
Kevin Ross

It's also great that his ability was literally good luck.

That montage in the first episode, that was everything I've ever wanted out of this dumb premise.

Owen Price
Owen Price

Is that the one where he's some super powerful martial artist so they pick him to summon but just before they summoned him he fucked his body over and lost his ability to use his OP arts?

David Perry
David Perry

It's fucking stupid how his ability is ridiculously good luck but the plot constantly has to screw him over for shenanigans to happen and the author justifies this by going "oh lol his good luck is canceled out by the shitty luck of his party in general" so in the end his "good luck" isn't actually luck but is just a stat cheat to let him abuse skills that normally can't be abused.

Robert Perry
Robert Perry

More MCs reincarnating as cute girls.

Jordan Clark
Jordan Clark

it's surprisingly western for a chink novel

MC enters magic school
all the other students don't suddenly try to kill him off

No it's the series where a scientist is reincarnated with the AI chip he had in his brain into a medieval world where Wizards are all-powerful fae living nuke motherfuckers

Christian Myers
Christian Myers

So they work as bricklayers?

Joseph Fisher
Joseph Fisher

Of course the plot screws him over. If you wanted the same premise where the plot doesn't screw the protagonist over and instead the universe bends over backwards to suck the MC's dick, you could read anything else in this subgenre.

I think if his life is on a general upward trend, that's demonstration enough of his good luck. Hell, he escaped crushing poverty and the trap of doing menial labor for sustenance, that takes an incredibly amount of luck as it is.

Ayden Perez
Ayden Perez

There's a short bit that wasn't in the anime where he swaps parties with a guy who accused him of leaching off his rare class party members.

His luck is actually super good throughout the whole thing and saves his parties ass multiple times because they all have average luck and don't drag him down. The other guy nearly dies multiple times and is tearing out his hair over how stupid the girls are all at the end and begs Kazuma to switch back with him.

Liam Ward
Liam Ward

self-insertion is shit writing. SHIT. use Mushoku Tensei as an example: Rudeus is over powered as fuck from the start, having enough mana to be a literal god-class and even his basic spells are king-classed. plus he has gary stu eyes which let him see through anything on top of the voiceless incantation cheat ability. Rudeus never truly worked hard; he just swung his sword around everyday and jogged for a bit to stay in shape, which is irrelevant because his talent with magic far exceeds anything that can be achieved through hard work or effort.

what's worse in the wish fulfillment. about 80% of the girls in the series lust after his cock because he's the main character. being the literal manchild that he is, he has no self control or self-restraint so he sticks his dick into anyone who's willing to spread their legs for him regardless of circumstances, like being fucking married. all the while telling himself "I love X", "I love Y", etc. of course, he's a gary stu so everyone loves and forgives him of everything.

Gabriel Gomez
Gabriel Gomez

I soooooo wanted that to be an episode in the first season

Kayden Watson
Kayden Watson

Hell, he escaped crushing poverty

He's back into crushing poverty again later and arrested. And then makes millions again. He'll probably lose it again though.

Jayden Ross
Jayden Ross

Man, i should really get to reading konosuba.

Landon Watson
Landon Watson

Rudeus never truly worked hard; he just swung his sword around everyday and jogged for a bit to stay in shape, which is irrelevant because his talent with magic far exceeds anything that can be achieved through hard work or effort.
Nigga if Rudeus never "truly worked hard" you must operate off of some really fucking retarded definition of work.

Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper

what do you think of shieldbro?

Jeremiah Diaz
Jeremiah Diaz

You are pretty spot on why MT is shit. The fat otaku was a piece of shit, but his life rewards him left and right. Is like sleeping and dreaming about flying and fucking random girls. Power fantasies are boring as fuck.

Thomas Diaz
Thomas Diaz

He doesn't.

There's actually a bit much later on where he makes a deal with the devil and gives up his fortune to rescue Darkness, but that devil was a cool dude and made the deal knowing full well Kazuma would get his money back.

Eli Evans
Eli Evans

There's no way my bastard son could be a demon lord

Gavin Walker
Gavin Walker

Bound by blood but not by soul

Ayden Robinson
Ayden Robinson

Not that guy, but the WN was really, really bad.

Still think the manga is keeping it together, but I'm just waiting for it to jump every shark in the ocean.

Ryan Smith
Ryan Smith

third guy here
I haven't read the ln yet, just some of the manga. Seems interesting, a mc that gets to work hard and its hated by the world? reminds me of touma in that one good volume.

Jonathan Lewis
Jonathan Lewis

Re:Monster
MC not only start off with a cheat ability but has a lifetime of experience in how to use it.
Gains at least like 3 new abilities every single chapter.
Everyone wants his dick because he's so totally awesome and powerful and literally has an ability that can force people to want to fuck him.

I think this is the worst offender.

Josiah Sullivan
Josiah Sullivan

though I disagree heavily. Rudi still has the Lapace factor and said factor is still a cheat (I mean the factor had the "squishy wizard" nerf, but the armor pretty much took away that weakness).

I like to see an Isekai where the MC has to build his way up to his power. Doesn't have to be a gritty, realistic "the world sucks because it sucks" type of deal something like a battle shounen where they MC gets stronger as he goes along would do.

Liam Wilson
Liam Wilson

I remember the WN/LN being unreadably bad, with its constant prattling on about boring game mechanics, leveling, and stats

The manga toned it down to tolerable levels

Colton Morris
Colton Morris

write a synopsis the next best-selling isekai web novel turned light novel turned anime
How about no, because I actually have a good one.

James Ortiz
James Ortiz

I want a series where he joins up with a traveling wizard/salesman as an assistant and apprentice and its his master who eventually winds up joining the hero party (And bringing him along for the ride). MC slowly improves in both his magical ability and salesmanship as the series progresses.

Carson Foster
Carson Foster

Re:Lucha
mc has the cheat ability to go over any audience
is berried because the promotion he works for doesn't appreciate it when you go over without their permission

Xavier Scott
Xavier Scott

Some dude in 2ch was working on the following:
MC and his friend gets summoned into a new unknown world. Both are savvy in the isekai genre so the both realize what have happened pretty fast. The friend could never be happier, since he is the basic huffing bandana otaku and was dissatisfied with his life. But MC on the other hand have his mind occupied with leaving behind his sick sister, and he was very attached to his previous life. A cute sorcerer appears before them. The friend immediately ask about what their cheat abilities are and is filled with enthusiasm. Following the explanation the friend went silent. Basically they got summoned as soldiers for an army consisting of summoned creatures from other worlds. To join an army and fight against the invading nation. The sorcerer fucked up and summoned humans, they are no more, no less, just humans. No abilities, no extra life, no re spawning, no time lopping. First chapter had the friend getting killed by a giant arrow that pierced half his body away. Now MC have is forced to be a soldier, trying to survive the war and this new savage land, with no special ability, and if he dies, he dies. He must live and find a way back to his sick sister. MC uses his war funds to buy poison and antidote, slips the poison into a goblin´s drink and saves him. Just to get an ally, the goblin is pretty bro. Basically a fuck you to isekai.

I hope the guy get some good pixiv artist to draw some art.

Colton Robinson
Colton Robinson

I think this would be genuinely interesting. Slice-of-life type thing concerned with the mundanities of fantasy life, with a fish-out-of-water protagonist.

Basically Konosuba but without the RPG stuff.

Nicholas Reyes
Nicholas Reyes

the wn was decent till the halfway point then turned into stupid harem bullshit

Ryan Roberts
Ryan Roberts

Sounds edgy and shitting on cliches for the sake of shitting on them.
Just because something goes out of its way to avoid common pitfalls doesn't mean it's good.

William Howard
William Howard

Honestly I'd just like if they had better settings.

Julian Cook
Julian Cook

If he marries her in the end I would enjoy the fuck out of that.

William Sanchez
William Sanchez

The MC from word master can make almost all kind of magic by writing, is an asshole but nobody actually confronts him for it, everyone sucks his dick even people who don´t know him, has the ability to have all the lolis lusting for his dick.

Zachary Lee
Zachary Lee

manga seems solid; haven't touched the light novel. other than Raphtalia being infatuated with Naofumi, the cliché tropes are kept to a bare minimum, which I'm grateful for.

this user knows

the armor plus the gary stu eyes. the author tries to convince us that rudeus is a fair and balanced character by:

"his physical abilities are only average!"
"he can't use voiceless incantations for healing magic!"
"see? he's a balanced character!"

personally, I don't buy it.

Landon Kelly
Landon Kelly

Instead of having one overpowered MC with his/her goons, have three overpowered MC with their overpowered goons. Each MC has a different ideology and agenda on how to make the world a better place, which ends their friendship.

The world is literally divided into three kingdoms constantly warring against each other and in the end when all three MCs have killed each other and found peace among themselves the world is an even worse shithole than it used to be, literally regressing from medieval societies to the times right after the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event.

Adam Hernandez
Adam Hernandez

MC is transported into isekai
finds out he's in shitty Dark Souls-type world
everything is ugly and bleak
no qt waifus
with mountain frustration and agony he becomes a hardened harbinger of death and destruction
it's so sad and dark it can't even be called edgy

Luis Ramirez
Luis Ramirez

as if incredibly high INT by BIRTH was wish fulfilling

Hudson Lee
Hudson Lee

Just give me better worldbuilding and an actually interesting fantasy setting. I honestly don't give a fuck about anything else.

Dylan Gomez
Dylan Gomez

That could be interesting, especially if it baits the audience into thinking that they'll get along for an episode or two.

Joshua Evans
Joshua Evans

There was not too much to read. No idea how edgy it will get. But I liked it since the MC is clever little fucker without doing the goody two shoe thing. And is a little thrilling knowing how dangerous everything is. But there was a lack of cute girls. No mention of the sorcerer beyond the beginning. Also he had a goal, so I that is a plus.

Hunter Nguyen
Hunter Nguyen

That's dumb. Dark Souls has qt waifus.

Jackson Collins
Jackson Collins

it's so sad and dark it can't even be called edgy
You're clearly new to Sup Forums if you think something won't be called edgy anyway. Have you not seen any Re:Zero threads?

Zachary Ortiz
Zachary Ortiz

nah the eyes didn't do shit since he attacks are so fast he can't react quick enough and if they aren't they wouldn't even be threatening without the eyes.

but the armor definitely broke any weakness he had

Carson Sanchez
Carson Sanchez

isekai
What? Speak English motherfucker.

Elijah Robinson
Elijah Robinson

I think those occasions of bad luck sometime are good luck in disguise. Many things that are bad end up being good in the long run.

Nicholas Moore
Nicholas Moore

Game of thrones/ASoIaF.

Andrew Wright
Andrew Wright

Isekai series set in not-Pokemon worlds

Christian Barnes
Christian Barnes

At least the author did a good job of scaling up the powerlevels to be appropriately challenging.

Rudy still had to get his ass fished out of the fire by President Orsted in the end.

Isaac Thomas
Isaac Thomas

who do you think best girl is?

Jayden Fisher
Jayden Fisher

But DS have qt girls. Enough to get a harem.
But Re:Zero is edgy LN shit. MC is even a fucking dumb ass self insert.

Adrian Nguyen
Adrian Nguyen

This, but the MC is just a knight summoned from mediaeval times.

Joseph Clark
Joseph Clark

For a "totally broken OP gary stu" character he sure does get saved a lot.

Matthew White
Matthew White

MC arrives in a fantasy setting and discovers he has the ability to predict all of his enemies attacks, knight of 1 style. Quickly becomes a master swordsman and finds himself completely kickass gear, saves the town from some threats, etc.

But there's one problem. Even though he's the best around, people have been spreading all sorts of rumours about him and none of a whole truckload of waifu-bait characters want to be near him. Becomes a story about how a guy tries to get into girl's hearts simply by being more powerful than other guys, but fails, because he's missing the other details of human interaction.

Maayybe he gets to hook up with one of them at the end of a cour or two. I'll think about it.

Michael Bell
Michael Bell

slips the poison into a goblin´s drink and saves him. Just to get an ally,
I remember /tg/ doing something similar in a quest.

William Bennett
William Bennett

Having these low standards
You can just pick any low-tier fantasy novel then. The are like masterpieces compared to light novels.

People get stuck to the eastern stuff because of characters. Not world building. Nips LN can not get anything right.

Eli Stewart
Eli Stewart

edgy LN shit. MC is even a fucking dumb ass self insert.
Fun fact. ANONS CAN WILL AND DO say the same thing about ANY NON-PARODY LN ADAPTATION EVER.

Oliver Morgan
Oliver Morgan

you can't, burn it all down

Jonathan Fisher
Jonathan Fisher

re zero did it right

Liam Evans
Liam Evans

I want that pic to be a thing already. That sounds fucking hilarious.

Aaron Garcia
Aaron Garcia

Eris confirmed for Mary Sue

Oliver Turner
Oliver Turner

Zero no Tsukaima, but with more focus on the politics and war like the light novels, rather than the anime which focused solely on Louise and Saito.

James Nguyen
James Nguyen

Harem
Good guy
According to people, looks good
Have natural talent
A lot of people likes him
He is Gary Stu.

Jonathan Bennett
Jonathan Bennett

It never will. At best you'll get either some half assed version of it or something that's ~similar~ but has a couple major changes that ruin it.

Evan Powell
Evan Powell

Are there even any of these shows with a female MC?

Justin Hall
Justin Hall

Nah, SAO audience will gulp it up like the little fucbois.

Luis Cruz
Luis Cruz

Other than the harem part none of those things sound unreasonable at all.

Is anybody who isn't utterly despised and a total fucking loser a gary stu now?

Gabriel Hughes
Gabriel Hughes

I read LNs because some of the concepts

-series where the MC is reincarnated back to infacy in another world (I just wished that he didn't get some stupid cheat ability)
-New Game+ series where the MC dies and starts over when he was a kid
-Otome reincarnation where the MC is a villainess trying to get out of her bad end (I liked how all of these series has something different to them)

interesting concepts which would be awesome if the writing was a little better

there's this one chink series where a guy is reincarnated to both a guy AND a girl and can control both I wish there was a nip series with that premise as well

David Morgan
David Morgan

SAO
Re:Zero is everything SAO failed to be in that Re:Zero has a cool premise and then actually fucking sticks to it.

Grayson Anderson
Grayson Anderson

that describes most harem protags

I think only Keitaro doesn't qualify

Asher Diaz
Asher Diaz

There are a ton of isekai LNs with female protagonists but none of them have been adapted into anime yet.

You have the variety meant to pander to girls where they get reincarnated as an otome game rival and the variety meant to pander to guys where it's your standard-bog plot except the MC is a girl and she gets up to yuribait shenanigans with her not-harem.

Tyler Sullivan
Tyler Sullivan

underrated post

Dylan Jones
Dylan Jones

Not that I can think of, but that might make it more interesting.

Lincoln Phillips
Lincoln Phillips

Why can't we get one with a serious plot that just happens to have a girl MC. Girls can like action and fighting too.

Thomas Nelson
Thomas Nelson

BY SOME STRANGE CIRCUMSTANCE THE MC IS REINCARNATED AS A MIMIC STUCK IN SOME LONG-FORGOTTEN GAUNTLET CRAFTED BY THE DEAD GODS
AFTER DECADES OF EATING UNSUSPECTING PREY HE STUMBLES UPON A LITTLE GIRL HOPELESSLY LOST WITHIN THE SHIFTING HALLS OF THE DUNGEON
TO HIS SURPRISE, SHE IS A FLEDGLING NECROMANCER IN SERVICE TO THE HIGHER LORD OF SLEEPING BOB THE FIRST NIGHT
HAVING LONG SINCE BEEN BORED OF HIS PREDICAMENT MC IS STRUCK BY A BRILLIANT IDEA, HE TRICKS THE LITTLE GIRL INTO PERFORMING A BLOOD CONTRACT WITH HIM

FINALLY, THE MC IS ABLE TO LEAVE THE UNEVENTFUL HELLHOLE HE LIVED IN TO BECOME A SERVANT TO AND TRAVEL THE WORLD WITH THIS INTERESTINGLY INCOMPETENT MANIPULATOR OF DEATH

AS A MIMIC

AS A MIMIC BACK PACK

AS A MIMIC BACK PACK IN THE FORM OF RANDOSERU

AS A MIMIC BACK PACK IN THE FORM OF A RANDOSERU APTLY WORN BY A LOLI

FINAL FUCKING DESTINATION

Daniel Kelly
Daniel Kelly

You are an ordinary Japanese schoolboy. You have a girlfriend who is two years younger than you.
Suddenly he Vampire Lord of the Blood Pool (aka the Demon King) appears next to your girlfriend in a date and kidnaps her leaving behind a closing dimensional portal.
You jump in to save her.

After killing the Demon King (it was part of his plan) you find out that your girlfriend has become his successor. But if she loses to her new position she'll lose her original personality and become someone who just hates humanity.
So you have to find a way to suppress her transformation, return her to normal and return home.

But.
There is one group of demons far stronger than you who want to kill your girlfriend and install their leader as Demon King. You fortunately have help from a loyalist group of demons but they want your girlfriend to accept her position and end the demon civil war.
Meanwhile humanity is getting unified under a 'hero' who could help you but he wants to fuck your girlfriend.

Bentley Ramirez
Bentley Ramirez

banished quest

Cameron Watson
Cameron Watson

Why can't we get one with a serious plot that just happens to have a girl MC
Because girls are physically weak, obviously.

Hey, you said 'serious'.

Blake Nelson
Blake Nelson

I haven't realized I wanted something this bad until now.

Logan Ross
Logan Ross

Eris got cucked tho.

Luis Richardson
Luis Richardson

They can still use dex or magic builds

Connor Gray
Connor Gray

Most genderbender reincarnation novels are like that. The MC is usually raring to become an adventurer/fighter with his now-girlish body getting in the way of being taken seriously.

Carson Anderson
Carson Anderson

Most of the cast are LN MCs in their own right

Ryder Nelson
Ryder Nelson

I want to see a LN with a magic system as good as that.

Elijah Morgan
Elijah Morgan

How about one about the mastermind's point of view? Trying the best to keep locked the MCs in his world, sending them waifus so they forget about their worlds and make'em believe they are the genuine hero of the story. The rival can be a tryhard no escapism faggot like Marche.

Lucas Anderson
Lucas Anderson

Please faggot. At least SAO had a huge budget, so it could look nice. Re:Zero is a poor man´s SG Fantasy edition. Re:Zero is the second biggest thing (right behind Zombie train) on reddit and MAL this season because it has everything SAO faggots like.

Nathaniel Powell
Nathaniel Powell

What is Riku?
What is Kumo?

Matthew Barnes
Matthew Barnes

Orsted is the ultimate LN MC.

Hell he's basically max level Subaru with "save my waifu" replaced with "kill that bastard Hitogami".

Angel Davis
Angel Davis

Nice

Oliver Martin
Oliver Martin

Inuyasha

Isaiah Fisher
Isaiah Fisher

I dunno those are really vague names.

Luke Ward
Luke Ward

implying Rook isn't the true MC
implying Shun isn't the true MC

Noah Gutierrez
Noah Gutierrez

Girl
Serious plot
Medieval fantasy world
She would get raped in a dark alleyway as her first memorable experience.

Justin Hughes
Justin Hughes

Pretty sure it'll do after killing the spirit turtle or afterReturning from glass's world, since after that we get the happy slave village

Not by the world, he was just the victim of various circumstances set by a bitch god that harvests worlds. After he clears his name in the WN and almost kills himself(again) killing a gigantic soul-eating turtle, the world collectively sucks his cock. But he DOES work hard to get to that point.

Dunno how is it going to be after that point in the LN since we have a fuckton of new arcs before that point. But the LNs are a good read, at least for me. There's e-book copies of vol 1 and 2 on homuwaifugod so if you're interested you should grab em.

Blake Anderson
Blake Anderson

just sayin Gary Stu means "flawless character"

shouldn't a flawless character be one that's doing most of the saving instead of mostly the one being saved?

Andrew Anderson
Andrew Anderson

You mean like that one vampire-hime?

Oliver Mitchell
Oliver Mitchell

I need this in my life.
Go fuck off to some WN website and write it already.

Ian Cooper
Ian Cooper

You... i like you.

Andrew Davis
Andrew Davis

Sounds completely shit.

They can still use dex or magic builds
The other problem is that you can't have a grimdark setting without acknowledging that some men will want to rape her, so you're left having to give her plot armour.

Re:Zero is a poor man´s SG Fantasy edition.
The Tatami Galaxy is a poor man's SG romance edition
Your arguments suck.

How about one about the mastermind's point of view?
That sounds like it would be meta in a bad way. If there's something people don't connect easily with, it's LN authors.

Isaiah Hughes
Isaiah Hughes

any human can be strong.

Nooooo, its more believable that a fat otaku that has never lifted can get stronger than a girl.

Luis Foster
Luis Foster

tfw soma will never publish an edited and refined version

Joshua Williams
Joshua Williams

Just make less shows

One in a while is fine

2-3 every season is shit

Adam Johnson
Adam Johnson

any human can be strong.
No shit, but men can get stronger than women, so in that setting, she wouldn't be able to be stronger than every man she encounters.

Eli Lopez
Eli Lopez

Did read the metal GM? It was perfect

Gabriel Robinson
Gabriel Robinson

you know these series aren't all that frequent

there's usually not even 1 per season

Tyler Gomez
Tyler Gomez

Tatami is so far away from wishfufillment fantasies you can get you little faggot. How about you watch your shows first? The entire point of TG is how great it is living in this time, right now. Re:Zero is about the fantasy of being transported to a fantasy world, being a suffering edgelord. You think people do not like triumphing over suffering? Suburu is a dumb as any self insert LN shmuck.

Jayden Clark
Jayden Clark

You can't, burn it all down

Alexander Jones
Alexander Jones

There's more to fights than just raw physical strength.

Just forget I mentioned it. The mere idea of females clearly triggers Sup Forums too much.

Grayson Watson
Grayson Watson

"I will fight you without resorting to violence"
enemy stabs bitch in the stomach

Ian Clark
Ian Clark

Tatami is so far away from wishfufillment fantasies you can get
Which has nothing to do with what you said before. You called something a 'poor man's SG' and I gave you another anime with a time loop and called it the same to show you why that's an incredibly dumb argument. You said nothing about 'wish fulfilment' and neither did I.

The way you can't stop spouting 'faggot' every sentence makes you look salty af.

Hunter Richardson
Hunter Richardson

does various awesome college things
gets cute girl at the end
not wish fulfillment

Grayson Kelly
Grayson Kelly

You can have a serious plot in a setting with all the typical RPG trappings that let women become stronger fighters than men via supernatural methods.

Logan Lee
Logan Lee

Not liking strong women.

I bet your waifu can't even beat the shit out of you. You tremendous faggot.

Ian Smith
Ian Smith

How about an isekai novel that puts the MC into a Eoten Onslaught/Spicy Habanero setting?

Parker Reed
Parker Reed

No /r9k/, I mean that when deadly weapons are involved fights are decided by means other than arm wrestling.

Cameron Gomez
Cameron Gomez

"you can't harm me because I'm a strong independent womyn!"
enemy stabs that bitch in the stomach

ideals holds no sway over a sword to the stomach

Anthony Anderson
Anthony Anderson

Lets take SaO for example.

People preorder some weird shit
They become trapped in it
People outside realize what is happening
They realize people will try to beat the game and die
Pro players from ALL THE FUCKING WORLD log into the game willingly

No special haxes, no marry sues, no luck involved. We watch Death Coffin wiped out in matter of two days, We watch min-maxing spellcasters throwing nuclear missles in dungeons, etc. They steadily progress through any shit main antagonist throws at them. Enters TTGL: the Isekai. At the end, some gropu of chinese hackers isolate the main antagonist's consciousness from the web and places him in artificial hell to suffer for all the death he caused.

Blake Williams
Blake Williams

chink series where a guy is reincarnated to both a guy AND a girl and can control both
You have my attention, since I've been working with a similar premise (one soul, two bodies of opposite sex).

Charles Allen
Charles Allen

A world of fantasy and adventure (no gods), every living thing is transported from other worlds. Yes, every fucking living thing. MC, the king, the adventurers, the guild, Villagers A to Z, that dog-looking thing, those monsters, etc.

Title: Isekai Scramble

Brayden Stewart
Brayden Stewart

remove adventure guilds

only series with adventurer guilds that I liked was Kansustoppu

Dylan White
Dylan White

so upset you can't even hear an idea about fictional women without getting triggered

Jason King
Jason King

Time loop
Saving waifu
Worse execution
Fantasy instead of sci-fi
Yeah is poor man´s SG.

Dylan Rivera
Dylan Rivera

How you stab her with a sword when merely thinking of harming her erases you from existence tho?

Benjamin Williams
Benjamin Williams

What's wrong with adventure guilds?

Brody Smith
Brody Smith

No harems and no god powers from the get go. The genre is so filled with both, especially god awful chink shit, that it's almost impossible to find anything worth reading. Just stop looking for them honestly, which sucks because we have gotten spoiled by the only standouts in the genre already (Overlord and KonoSuba)

Colton Scott
Colton Scott

Remove all game elements period. Nothing takes me out of something more than fucking numerical stat screens, how fucking lazy can you get.

Brayden King
Brayden King

People preorder some weird shit
They become trapped in it
People outside realize what is happening
They realize people will try to beat the game and die
Pro players from ALL THE FUCKING WORLD log into the game willingly
No special haxes, no marry sues, no luck involved. We watch Death Coffin wiped out in matter of two days, We watch min-maxing spellcasters throwing nuclear missles in dungeons, etc. They steadily progress through any shit main antagonist throws at them. Enters TTGL: the Isekai. At the end, some gropu of chinese hackers isolate the main antagonist's consciousness from the web and places him in artificial hell to suffer for all the death he caused.

Stop reminding me that the best premise I've seen in years had its virginity taken when it was raped by SAO and now no-one wants to touch her.

Landon Russell
Landon Russell

Even if I like the fictional woman the enemy won't. Said enemy will just stab in stomach and move on

we're talking about realism here
in those scenarios there's no "magic existence erasing abilities" just the girl, the enemy, and a stomach stabbin

Benjamin Butler
Benjamin Butler

You're so bitter you can't even like fictional woman any more, don't lie.

Colton Lopez
Colton Lopez

Time loop
Saving waifu
Both of which are good things

Worse execution
Much better pacing than S;G. Characters in S;G are more interesting. It's a wash.

Fantasy instead of sci-fi
Which is even better because the time travel doesn't need to be explained away with pseudo-scientific nonsense.

Jayden Perez
Jayden Perez

Shit on isekai
No god powers
Proceed to give kudos to Overlord
Nice try. Overlord is awful. MC is ultra OP with the best gear, P2W items, ultra strong NPCs, undying love from his whores and manwhores, wins every battle.
B-but he doesn´t like it
Please.
Konosuba is good though.

John Morales
John Morales

MC gets reincarnated as a chair.

That's it.

Daniel Robinson
Daniel Robinson

chinkshit doesn't have god powers from the get-go

normally MC has to go through 100+ chapters of powerleveling to get to his god powers

Gavin Perez
Gavin Perez

there was a WN where the MC was reincarnated to a vending machine

I think they already gone over the limit on that area

Adam Peterson
Adam Peterson

RIP MC-kun

Oliver Sanchez
Oliver Sanchez

Proceed to give kudos to Overlord
That was my point you fucking idiot. KonoSuba is a harem too, but you didn't bring that up. The best in the genre are able to make things work, but then people copy that and it's a steaming pile of shit.
MC is ultra OP with the best gear, P2W items, ultra strong NPCs, undying love from his whores and manwhores, wins every battle.
You must have the attention span and reading comprehension level of a third grader if you think that is what Overlord is about.

Kayden Martinez
Kayden Martinez

The idea is very old. How come I dont' see shit like this?

Jaxson James
Jaxson James

Magic restart> Scientific time travels
pseudo-scientific nonsense
What am I reading here? I bet you loved Boku Dake rewind. The science behind Stein´s Gate time travel is sound. They skipped it in the anime.

Logan Ortiz
Logan Ortiz

I recovered my past memories when I was hit on the seat by a plate. I am chair, the eight year old chair of the Tohno family. In a feverish nightmare, during which I became the destruction target of the house's oldest son, I have realized that this is an eroge game from my previous life. Also, I’ve turned into the chair that interfered with the romance of the capture targets… If the protagonist got a happy end, I would be destroyed, while if he got a bad end, I would also be destroyed… I have no happy end!? Why is it only bad!? Somehow I have to avoid the destruction end, and reach old age peacefully!!

Bentley Hall
Bentley Hall

How would you go about and remove an entity that holds authority over people in a fantasy world of swords and magic? There will always be something that is tasked to uphold order.

Agree, the status screen is a huge turn off. Same with cheesy cheat skill(s) given by a higher being.

Leo Wood
Leo Wood

Konosuba is parody. Sakamoto desu ka have a Gary Stu, but everyone loves it, because is a parody.
Overlord is about selfinserting into Ainz as he do litch stuff, taking over shit and rolling over every challenge, you would know if you stopped sucking overlords flaccid penis. "B-but he misses his guild", were you going to say that?

Levi Smith
Levi Smith

When will we get stuffs like MC from "otherworld" with no gifted strength, INT and whatever talent compared to the rest get sent to our world and wreck shit or having SoL?

Brody White
Brody White

In fact that's why I like chink series better than the Japanese LNs

it actually seems to be going somewhere. (that the MC want to be the strongest fucker in the universe is more of a goal than "I just want to live a normal life" the Jap MC's have. Also Their OPnes is limited to "stronger than people 5 levels above him" which is pretty OP until you realize that all the big enemies are 10 levels above him or are protected by some fucker that is. Not like the Jap ones where they are the strongest fucker in the world period.

Julian Lee
Julian Lee

Sounds boring as hell. And we got that boring show already. Maou-sama works at Wcdonalds.

Mason Clark
Mason Clark

The MC doesn't get reincarnated into a fantasy world but gets hired by a human resources god to do paper work for them. Along with the other employees in that otherworldly office building, all they do is work hard so that bureaucratic bullshit doesn't fill the reincarnation process with so much red tape and backlogs everything into literal oblivion.

All scenes will be around the watercooler. Sometimes they go out for some booze but it's all watercooler talk poking fun at isekai shit.

Henry Rivera
Henry Rivera

What would the fucking point of that be? If the MC is a totally normal guy from a medieval society you might as well cut out the other world part of it altogether and make it a straight up time travel story like Thermae Romae.

Jacob Richardson
Jacob Richardson

One of the Hero Union BBS chapters gave me an idea.

An elderly couple die peacefully on Earth while holding each other's hand, and reincarnate into the roles of Hero and Demon Lord. Noticing that everything else in the fantasy land was created by the rampant imaginations of their grandkids, they decide to stage a dramatic enactment to keep their grandkids' sense of wonder alive.

Ian Lopez
Ian Lopez

Reverse in which they try to get a peek at him but ended up getting fucked since he set up traps
I never EVER thought that hot springs episode could be this amazing. Can someone here make the whole thing a thing please?

Dominic Jones
Dominic Jones

pic related

Joseph Martinez
Joseph Martinez

Full 40K tier parody of grim derp shit

Cameron Robinson
Cameron Robinson

If you count on Japan to make anything original you will be severely disappointed. At best they can rehash things with a twist.

Isaiah Morgan
Isaiah Morgan

MC needs to start off weak and clueless. Actually works hard to train and learn. Even by the end of the series they still shouldn't be the strongest.
MC shouldn't have any special powers or skills. Their greatest talent should be being clever and resourceful.
Use a weapon other than a fucking sword.
If you want romance, MC should only have one single love interest. MAYBE 2 if you really want to push it and make a love triangle, but you better be really good in the other areas to make up for it, and harem is absolutely forbidden.
Act like balanced, realistic person. Don't go full moralfag or full edgelord. Have believable goals.
Don't wear all black.

Jackson Young
Jackson Young

A hopeless hikkiNEET who dreams of a life as a cheat-like hero in another world and a romanceless OL that wishes to be a high-spec otome oujo-sama are killed in an accident together and reincarnated in the same cliche fantasy world as exactly just that.

The catch is that it's the hikkiNEET that ends up as the oujo-sama and the OL that ends up as the hero. Unfortunately for them, while they're brilliantly genre savvy in their preferred category, they're absolutely hopeless in the other and end up totally squandering the first years of their new lives.

Be it by luck or fate, they eventually end up meeting each other in the new world and realize their ironic predicament, and end up advising each other on how to best take advantage of the envious lives they now lead. And so begins the misadventures of the oujo-sama who wanted to be a hero and the hero who wanted to be an oujo-sama. And the members of their woefully ignored harems.

Mason Young
Mason Young

That's essentially just Grimgar except you also want a restriction on the character's weapon for no discernible reason.

they're absolutely hopeless in the other and end up totally squandering the first years of their new lives.
Be it by luck or fate, they eventually end up meeting each other in the new world
mfw that pacing

Jace Wright
Jace Wright

Too many of these posts are just one-twist changes. OP asked how to FIX the isekai genre, not how to continue the descent into pleasing the lowest common denominator.

Sebastian Bailey
Sebastian Bailey

that's clever

Mason Turner
Mason Turner

We got the answer though. It's

Justin Ramirez
Justin Ramirez

there's always this series

https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=4875

Eli Parker
Eli Parker

how would you?

Blake Diaz
Blake Diaz

Its an Isekai where some dude from the future travels to the present with some cheat-like skill and thinks its just an mmorpg

Juan Reed
Juan Reed

Greg.
Mornin' Dave.
The printer at block 78 isn't working again. Can ya' call the IT guy to work on it?
Lenny? But he's an obnoxious git. You go call him.
You know I can't do that, it's that time of the year again.
Ah. Chinks or nips?
Chinks.
My condolences.
Yeah fuck you too.
Well why not just get Tom instead? I know he's still got his hands full on that streamlining project but I'm sure he wouldn't mind.
Forget it. I'll just phone the big boss about it.
Well what do we have here? My two favorite bitter mates at it again.
Fuck off Tim.
Shut the fuck up Tim.
Oh don't be like that. And scoot over Dave. I'm going to get a drink.
Sorry 'bout that.
How's the transfer going for you Tim? I hear there's too many students this time.
Don't even get me started on i-- oh that hit the spot -- thirty god damn people in a classroom. Do you know how much paper work we have to go through for a single bulk transfer like that?
Here we go again.
Tim. Not now.
Our area is up to the nose with transfer forms. Have you two seen the Bumble brothers?
Whose he talking about?
Bobby Bumble and Barry Bumble.
Ah right.
They look fucking dead! Dead! The worst part? They're already dead! Someone get me out of this hell hole! And we don't even proper fucking healthcare!
Healthcare? But didn't you just say we were already dead?
God damn it Tim.
UNION! UNION! UNION! UNION!

Fund it.

Andrew Martinez
Andrew Martinez

I think the protag's past should not be taken lightly, even if the MC himself doesn't want to look back at it. Correlation should be a regular thing.

Thomas Evans
Thomas Evans

Isekai? Did I miss something?

Caleb Reed
Caleb Reed

Don't most reincarnation WNs usually try to solve the pacing problem by giving a quick summary of their childhood with numerous time skips?

Blake Price
Blake Price

It's the somewhat recent fad of NEETs traveling to fantasy worlds with some skill that allows him to cheat through life

Aiden Howard
Aiden Howard

Isekai the TCG

Julian Watson
Julian Watson

Dave best boy.

Jordan Peterson
Jordan Peterson

Just put it in a pirate setting and focus on the action a lot. Basically make Black Lagoon 2.0.

David Price
David Price

Maybe the pilot chapter can have the two recognize each other right out the gate, then divulge how they stumbled their way to that moment?

Levi James
Levi James

Now and then, here and there?

Michael Hall
Michael Hall

they keep trying to make friends with the opposite (same?) sex but all that ends up happening is that more people keep falling in love with them
the hero thinks his (her?) childhood friend has a crippling social anxiety problem but she's actually normal around other people and just melts into a stuttering heap around her love interest which keeps getting worse by his (her?) constant attempts to "cure" her
the oujo keeps doing unladylike things and having to be pulled back in line by her/his butler but he's secretly turned on by that shit

Jose Gonzalez
Jose Gonzalez

Archwizard from medieval world accidentaly summons himself into Sci-Fi world, and then proceeds to throw fireballs at Gundams and summon undead army.

Ryan Wood
Ryan Wood

Oh, I've just never heard them referred to as "isekai" before.

Jason Howard
Jason Howard

To be honest, this is also the first time for me.

Caleb Reyes
Caleb Reyes

There too many paradoxes in Steins Gate. To the point where something could have happened to the point where Schrodinger's cat became an absolute time fuck. Also, sending your memories and feelings was fucking bullshit.

Christian Gonzalez
Christian Gonzalez

Hulk Hogan/John Cena/The Rock/Stone Cold Steve Austin/Shinsuke Nakamura travels to a new world where wrestling is real

Oliver Wright
Oliver Wright

kinnikuman isekai

Fund it

Evan Long
Evan Long

I don't know, but I think there is one? Main character is Masato in isekai form + sex.

Liam Jackson
Liam Jackson

Why isn't there a reincarnation story where the MC ends up becoming one of the haremettes of the Hero?

Nolan Rogers
Nolan Rogers

Just do what the first two seasons of Zero no Tsukaima did. Everything after that was garbage.

Blake Watson
Blake Watson

Meh, except for MT I really didn't bother with genre. That series was pretty unique though with the real harem(for once?)/family/having kids, following the MC growing up(From a disgusting manchild to somebody bearable, although maybe he just grew up on me)

As for the others I did check out Konjiki, Re:Mah Diary, Shitfureta, Konoboringsuba and a few more but eeh not my type of shit. I especially hate when they go full stats and numbers.

Austin Fisher
Austin Fisher

Do you have the name for it?

Dylan Sanchez
Dylan Sanchez

This but let's make it wish fulfilment for females.

Andrew Barnes
Andrew Barnes

I have a great idea, actually be more like the Twelve Kingdoms. Great characters, world building, zero to hero, no bullshit reasoning. Those of you out there, watch Twelve Kingdoms.

Sebastian Walker
Sebastian Walker

I want a shoujo series where the femMC reincarnates to a fantasy world but then her childhood friend in that new life gains memories of his future self and starts protecting the shit out of her

Gabriel Diaz
Gabriel Diaz

I will never understand why people call Rudy a disgusting manchild when he was pretty tolerable and reasonably mature (even for a 40 year old) aside from being a total fucking perv for the first few arcs. He handled the whole teleported to hell on Earth thing pretty well.

He kind of regressed when the fucking school life arc happened I guess.

Lucas Lee
Lucas Lee

Kinniku (Armadianus) Eiyuuden ~Maou no Sainou wa Kinniku ni Henkansaremashita~
I think it is more muscles than wrestling, but still muscles.

Jace King
Jace King

Simple, just take the self-insert bullshit out.

MC gets transported to a world of Tralfamadorens where the rules are fucking weird. It's a story about a a foreigner in a world that they're completely incompatible with.

Alternatively, just make a Slaughterhouse 5 anime.

Lincoln Lewis
Lincoln Lewis

Every part of ZnT was garbage, don't kid yourself.
The only series in existence where the fanfiction stories are better than the official material, because having crossover stories with actual interesting characters being summoned instead of the MC ends up creating better stories.

John Martin
John Martin

Two siblings get reincarnated into an arranged marriage.

They desperately try to get out of said arranged marriage and end up running away together and going on an adventure. Then they fall in love anyways. :^)

Easton Turner
Easton Turner

Louise almost an heroing herself because she thought Saito died was alright. Then the elf titties ruined it.

Logan Bell
Logan Bell

The problem with Isekai stories is that they tend to not fulfill the basic needs for a fantasy story: good character development or depth, good world building, reasonable power gain, equivalent exchange, theme, etc. Those LNs fall short in comparison to things like Nanasawa's works.

Anthony Nelson
Anthony Nelson

MC gets summoned to the other world
MC is typical INTP, swallowing useless knowledge and facts
Ends up thrown in the dungeon accused of witchery
Local lord tells him it's his fault crops don't grow
MC: "You're retarded. You should just do XYZ".
They do it
Areyouawizard.png
Nope
Released from dungeon, leaves.
Travels to different towns
Autistic MC helps them build mills, aqueducts, sanitary systems
Autistic MC expands medical and biological knowledge
Autistic MC helps resolve local conflicts and defend against outside enemy
Autistic MC combines physics 101 with magical knowledge and explains to wizards
Agriculture, wizardry, medicine, technology and everything else skyrockets.
King returns to his kingdom
Learns about MC, who now is mentioned as some messiah-tier scholar
Finds MC
Areyouawizard.png
Nope.

John Phillips
John Phillips

I'd watch it.

Tyler Cook
Tyler Cook

You don't even need all of those for a good story.

You just need ONE. ONE good hook to keep your readers going. Worldbuilding can go fuck itself if your characters are interesting enough to carry the novel by themselves and vice versa. You can have completely wacko powerlevels if it serves an interesting purpose in your story.

The problem is that LN's have none of these. Not even one.

Nicholas Robinson
Nicholas Robinson

Isekai meets Quantum Leap except MC is awful at their job.

They get sent into different worlds as the destined hero but keep fucking things up (stupidly helps the bad guy, gets distracted, can't figure out what the problem is, ruins chances with the romantic interest despite starting out with a decent shot.)

Every time he fucks a world up beyond saving, he goes to another one.

Caleb Roberts
Caleb Roberts

This. Maou is a good example.

William Peterson
William Peterson

Does he eventually get hunted down by a band of heroes who label him as a dimension crossing demon king disguising himself as a hero?

Jose Johnson
Jose Johnson

Characters that drive the story are definitely something to behold, which I find Rokka no Yuusha in a pretty good pedestal for having a theme of deception and distrust amongst characters. Characters are well defined and rather intriguing from the perspective of the readers with their own motivations and goals.

Caleb Morales
Caleb Morales

I don't know why so many authors are just so fixated at the rpg elements in isekai like stats and guilds.

I mean look at Elvenblood LN(Not isekai). Sure it's kinda bland and the Elves are beyond edgy motherfuckers. But at least it's somewhat unique with their powers/personality and how they conquer the land with growing seeds and forests which release a special substance killing humans and having only them survive.

I guess it's not that hard to think up something unique, but the question is, will it sell?

Xavier Young
Xavier Young

Sure. Some of them can even be the supposed big bads of those failed worlds with varying motivations from "You fucking idiot, I wanted to RULE the world, not destroy it," to, "I'm masquerading as a hero all the while hoping that shitty-hero-senpai will bring me under his wing."

Henry Robinson
Henry Robinson

Futurama?

Ayden Williams
Ayden Williams

mc and his gf are reincarnated
they fight an evil angel who was in love with the MC in his past life
jk the MC is a dog and the real MC is still alive who could have fixed everything if he wasn't a dick

Grayson Miller
Grayson Miller

Futurama anime

Fund it

Nathaniel Hernandez
Nathaniel Hernandez

No one's ever used this knowelge though. Everyone justr accepts noi plumping or electricty like its been that way forever once they get tossed back in magic land.

The average person really wouldn't be able to do jack shit either. Sure might know how plumping works, can you reproduce it? can you explain current farming techniuqes or betters ways to purify water? could you teach them how to build an aquaduct?

It's no cheat if you have no damn clue how to put your knowledge to pratical use in medieval times.

Theoreticlly going back should be, you are amazing with your super brain and everrything but in reality unless you've got training from multiple proffesions, you are out of luck.

Jaxson Kelly
Jaxson Kelly

Our hero is a narcissist!

MC-kun gets killed by a yandere who immediately kills himself afterwards. They both get reincarnated into the same body. MC's "cheat" is his powerful yandere half that is almost unstoppable in battle but since it's yandere it's extremely narcissistic and often threatens others bring the MC into a lot of trouble.

Hunter Smith
Hunter Smith

himself
herself*

William Brooks
William Brooks

MC had the dark side of him extracted and turned into a separate person
said dark side has been trying to kill and NTR him the entire series
also kills their (shitty) parents
suddenly his entire personality changes in the last battle and he cheers MC on for getting together with the girl he's been chasing for the entire story

Jayden Perez
Jayden Perez

Hence why being a civil engineer in your previous life would be broken tier on a reincarnation story but no one ever is.

James Ross
James Ross

Why are there so few yanderes in isekai? We need more of them. Especially ones that reincarnate with the MC to pursue them.

Connor Martin
Connor Martin

Kuro no Maou
Overlord
Sevens
Ore no Osananajimi wa Joshikousei de Yuusha

are what I can think of off the top of my head

Jonathan Murphy
Jonathan Murphy

Especially ones that reincarnate with the MC to pursue them.
Didn't Yuno kinda-sorta do this?

Wyatt Murphy
Wyatt Murphy

Kuro no Maou
The MC is a rapist, and the one being raped while less than half her body being gone, actually loved being pounded by him.

Kayden Cook
Kayden Cook

Reincarnated in Gamindustri WN when?

Christian Young
Christian Young

I don't know why so many authors are just so fixated at the rpg elements in isekai like stats and guilds.

Because they only played video games or at best mmorpg if only they were at least DM then you could have good story.

Like if you had to choose between /v/ or /tg/ for a fantasy novel, which one has the most experience with it?

Gavin Peterson
Gavin Peterson

bunch of overqualified faggots overrun everything
Sounds like GATE desu. Don't get me wrong, GATE was fun, but it was fun because of entertaining characters and MC calling in the overpowered cavalry was kept relatively rare, and it still managed to smell like a bunch of JSDF/modern army wank.

Jason Gomez
Jason Gomez

That was the twist, not the premise.

Alexander Turner
Alexander Turner

I wonder where I have heard this before?

Jaxson Perez
Jaxson Perez

Don't a lot of the more successful Japanese fantasy LN authors play tabletop? I know that Tax Evasion-kun and Eggplant Mushroom are both regular players while Kawahara barely knows his way around an MMO, let alone tabletop.

Christian Brooks
Christian Brooks

The premise was good, the beginning was good, but then at some point it just stopped progressing. And that was the point at which it became shit.

David King
David King

That's because it didn't stick with its original premise and went back to fantasy shit.

Jaxon Sullivan
Jaxon Sullivan

More novels like "The Lazy King". While it was an isekai, the "transported in another world" bullshit wasn't so relevant and it didn't focus too much on the overpowered MC.
A LN similar to this is "The God-slaying hero and the seven covenants" where 13 people are transported to another world and the MC is the weakest of them. The novel begins where the Demon God is already killed and the MC becomes a drunk hobo.

Jaxson Lee
Jaxson Lee

Twist ending, the powerful kid is his real son. All the siblings are from her sleeping around.

Sebastian Evans
Sebastian Evans

Have the main character be a completely different race so they will go "NIPPON STRONG WE MAKE ANCIENT TIMES BETTER"

Julian Reed
Julian Reed

MC goes to school has average life problems; tests, bullies, girl he likes dosn't notice him etc etc.

Sitting in the back corner of the classroom one day, daydreaming about how he wishes his life could be more fantastic and amazing. All of a sudden the classroom door is kicked in, an in stomps in a guy wearing combat gear who strangely resembles MC. The class looks at him in bewildered awe while the teacher asks who the hell is he. The guy suddenly notices MC, and tosses desks and students out of his way until finally tossing MC's desk out the window and grabs him by the collar, pulling him up to his face.

"I'm you from the future! I'm here to train and prepare you for World War 3!"

Series proceeds to have Future MC train Modern MC in ways of war, guns, survival training, military tactics etc etc. Classmates thinks he's crazy, Girl that Modern MC can't get to notice him has crush on Future MC, meanwhile a police detective is a manhunt for a deranged mentally ill patient who believes he's from the future. And now modern MC just wants things to go back to the way they were instead of doing night knife fighting practice.

"Eh!? But I have an algebra test tomorrow!"

"Fuck your Algebra! Nukes don't care if you can solve for x! Dodge!"

Jose Jones
Jose Jones

didn't watch Futurama

Chase Johnson
Chase Johnson

I kind of want to see a story where the entire city hall of a small rural town gets teleported into a fantasy world and they integrate themselves into the government of the local kingdom and continue to do exactly what they were doing before, with added dragons and magic.

Ayden White
Ayden White

While I watched the show I thought Aqua was super trash but in the aftermath I couldn't stop jerking it to her thighs.

Now I want to throatfuck her until she pukes rainbows on my balls

Jacob Brown
Jacob Brown

Sonic X is isekai

Sonic X is isekai

Sonic fucking X is isekai

Angel Robinson
Angel Robinson

She's a useless damegami only good for her sex appeal after all.

Sebastian Anderson
Sebastian Anderson

And so is Digimon Adventures.

Colton Edwards
Colton Edwards

Yeah but it's not Sonic fucking X

Samuel Jackson
Samuel Jackson

Lord Commander that serves a Queen Regnant gets transported into an other world that is like berserk...then he got BTFO by some giant and falls in a cliff then he met a little girl who healed him and told him she knows the way back to his own world and possess the exit

cue travel journey with the two getting close to the point of like father and daughter pair

at the end of the journey he then gets told that in order to leave she will be sacrificed in order to leave

cue crying and screen goes blank

Connor Howard
Connor Howard

Aqua was made for anal.

Nathan Gutierrez
Nathan Gutierrez

MC is a military leader, the war is not going well for his country, the foreign media of the three biggest countries ran a smear campaign of false war crimes against MC and as such, almost the entire world is their enemy. A secret sect of the MCs soldiers study ancient European magic in an effort to stave off the destruction of their homeland. We meet MC in what seems to be the final moments of the war, the enemy is only a few miles from the city, and MC and his closest allies are in a bunker, but when everything seems lost, one of MC's best friends and closest allies sacrifices himself to invoke blood magic, sending MC to a parallel world. As MC starts to fade out of reality his dying friend tells him to live on knowing what he did was right and not to have any regrets, and that one day he needed to return and save his people.
Mc wakes up in a smoking crater in the middle of a field and gets up to see he is surrounded by a small group of people in wizard robes, he asks them where he is and they say The Kingdom of Thule. MC is Hitler. He tells the mages about what happened, the war, and how he is from another world, they offer him aid and teach him magic. Hitler proceeds to take over the kingdom and raise an army, then goes back to earth, landing in the near future, and ovens all das Juden with magic and nazi super weapons.
written by /pol/

Jacob Rogers
Jacob Rogers

Reborn into the beginning of the Universe as a God(s).

Gavin Richardson
Gavin Richardson

Kazuma is reincarnated as Aqua

Joseph Powell
Joseph Powell

I rate that fourteen out of eighty-eight.

Gavin Young
Gavin Young

As long as they stop with the blank and shameless self-inserts (aka Kirito, Bell) and make real characters then there's no need to fix it. I have no problem with the genre as long as the characters are entertaining. However, too often we'll get stuck with somewhat interesting concepts that completely fall flat due to the series only being made to fulfill an insecure otaku's fantasy (instead of actually telling a story).

Ryder Russell
Ryder Russell

Burn it all down.
As in MC is an edgelord and wants to have fun destroying the new world he's found himelf in because of being smarter and/or stronger than the dumb residents of the fantasy world.

Ayden Adams
Ayden Adams

They are such bros.

Xavier Watson
Xavier Watson

That doesn't even make sense. That's a dumb, you're dumb.

Aiden Lewis
Aiden Lewis

The CN is called "After Transformation, Mine and Her Wild Fantasy"

Elijah Brown
Elijah Brown

so basically, Now and Then, Here and There?

Jonathan Evans
Jonathan Evans

Isekai
FINDS A WAY

Austin Gray
Austin Gray

No more characters from Japan. Take any isekai series and replace all the Japanese origin characters with characters of some other random nationality. 300% improvement on average.

Jayden Martinez
Jayden Martinez

I loved that exercise sequence. Not because of what it was, but because it actually established that Subaru was an outgoing character who didn't mind occasionally making an idiot of himself as opposed to some blank-faced cool quiet teenager. He made the conscious decision to try to get Emilia to participate in his morning exercise routine with him.

If this was SAO's author, that scene never would have taken place.

Jordan Ortiz
Jordan Ortiz

Elaborating
MC gets transported into a fantasy world by the god of the world, for god knows what reason. He tries to accomodate at first but quickly finds out how shit, full of evil etc and inconvenient the world is. He's not an otaku self-insert so he is not amused. He tries to find out a way to get back but he fails. He realises his advantage over the populace of the world: the knowledge of today's world and power he somehow got during the transportation process - side effects of gods using their powers. So he decides to get the attention of the gods by fucking up their world, keikaku doori style. Fun edginess ensues in a world vs MC scenario.

Hunter Ward
Hunter Ward

what anime?

Jack Evans
Jack Evans

clearly it's konosuba

the knowledge of today's world
With you so far...
and power he somehow got during the transportation process
wat

Hudson Robinson
Hudson Robinson

Another story for the research pile, thanks

When I get around to it (next week at the earliest), I'll share my own take on it in a thread like this.

Kevin Brooks
Kevin Brooks

In Isekai scenarios MCs usually find themselves overpowered by gaining some bullshit powers from the start, often unexplained.

Adrian Murphy
Adrian Murphy

By making all the protagonists into spiders.

Jackson Torres
Jackson Torres

A new virtual reality game comes out that accurately emulates the real world. People are able to 'virtually' go back in time and re-live their lives but with their present knowledge intact. MC is a lazy NEET who hears about a trial program for this new technology and volunteers to be a guinea pig.

Things (naturally) go horribly wrong and he becomes trapped in the past, just as he's beginning high fuck I think this idea's already been done.

John Roberts
John Roberts

In Isekai scenarios MCs usually find themselves overpowered by gaining some bullshit powers from the start, often unexplained.
Yes, and that's one of the worst things about them and one of the reasons they have such a bad reputation in the first place. Did you even read the thread title?

Michael Rodriguez
Michael Rodriguez

Did you?

Owen Morgan
Owen Morgan

Idiocracy: The Anime

Elijah Gray
Elijah Gray

Not quite what your suggesting, but have you read shield bro?

Isaac Phillips
Isaac Phillips

I think that anon's premise has a usable reason, such as a sliver of the god's power left behind when the protag tried to keep them from walking out on him. They would shrug off any possibility of the protag cornering them even with that sliver, which would ultimately be their undoing.

Jayden Rivera
Jayden Rivera

Isn't this the direction that Kumo Desu ga Nani ka was more or less going in before the MC got roped into saving the world instead?

Henry Edwards
Henry Edwards

MC gets summoned to the other world only to find that another copy of him was also summoned by mistake. Bro'ing it up, gathering 2 different harems our heroes march through generic fantasy world. I'll leave the details to some competent writer, just no more skills, crafting and adventure guilds please,

Xavier Phillips
Xavier Phillips

They've already done that.

Josiah Sanchez
Josiah Sanchez

Wouldn't know, never cared about it.

Kevin Wilson
Kevin Wilson

MC is schizo
there is no alternate world except reality
audience doesnt know which one is real or fantasy
MC start killing 'monster' aka innoncent people

Alexander Mitchell
Alexander Mitchell

MC gets reincarnated as a female brown elf and starts out in the orc kingdom. Using his eroge and hentai knowledge from his former life he tries his hardest to survive and not end up as a cumdump.

In the case that he ever escapes orc kingdom he will quickly learn that the human race isn't safe either.

Luke Lewis
Luke Lewis

Orsted said that he only had the amount of mana that he did because of his own efforts to increase it from an early age.

Luke Howard
Luke Howard

So whatever happened to the brown elf civilization and why doesn't he take refuge there.

Bentley Morgan
Bentley Morgan

Just remove RPG mechanics (or at least make them believable and concise) and add acutal worldbuilding and character development (MC can still be a special snowflake, just give him a clear strenghts and weakness, also make characters do something besides orbiting MC's life).

Jaxon Adams
Jaxon Adams

Ixion Saga S2

Brody King
Brody King

tumblr

Leave now

Jordan Cox
Jordan Cox

Brown elves are nearly extinct because of slavery and not being to be able to beat the cock. That's just common knowledge.

Oliver Martin
Oliver Martin

Make an isekai anime that starts out with a live action scene of a guy getting sucked into his TV, then replacing the main character of an anime he was watching. Being genre savvy, he realizes the clichéd nature of the series and how obvious the direction it is heading in is, and actively tries to make the series become more original by defying clichés and avoiding the obvious main girl.

Christopher Lee
Christopher Lee

I would watch the fuck out of an anime where Marche goes around destroying various fantasy worlds because he wants to "rescue" the people that were summoned into them.

Parker Long
Parker Long

By getting rid of contrived superpowers that only exist for wish-fulfillment, making the MC have an actual personality and bounce it off the rest of the cast who by extension must also have actual personalities, and giving us a reason to like and dislike the characters beyond "he's the self-insert" and "they are opposing the self-insert"

tl;dr it just needs writing that isn't terrible because all of this is literally just the fundamentals and for some reason almost everything anime/manga-related fails at it

I still say anime is japan's revenge for hiroshima. It's a fucking curse.

Josiah Morris
Josiah Morris

You say that, but every isekai anime adapted thus far has fulfilled those conditions so I don't know what you're complaining about.

If you were wading through the actual shitpile that is self-published web novels I might understand but if you're complaining about just the anime, otherworld series adapted into anime usually at least meet the modicum of quality you're asking for.

Alexander Sullivan
Alexander Sullivan

MC is a thirty something year old kissless virgin salaryman who dies alone of cancer. As he's alone on his deathbed, he thinks that if he had a second chance at life, he would devote all his efforts into finding love.

MC wakes up in a fantasy world without rpg mechanics as a girl.

Gavin James
Gavin James

Bell and Kirito
None of those series are isekai.

Xavier Barnes
Xavier Barnes

Well, he IS a reincarnated person. Or more precisely reincarnated people, many of them.

Easton Martinez
Easton Martinez

This is literally how every otome isekai story works, some washed up office lady gets hit by a truck and reincarnated as the rival of the main heroine in the otome game she was playing the other day and has to use her genre savvy knowledge to avoid getting screwed by a bad end. This is how EVERY one of them works, it's old hat by now.

Jaxson Clark
Jaxson Clark

You're basically right. I was just whining.

Carson Moore
Carson Moore

Protag gets thrown in with the Eloi but the Morlocks aren't very scary?

Blake Clark
Blake Clark

Didn't Grimgar already fixed it?

Ignoring the bit with the lel my lines can cut through steel shit.

Cameron Baker
Cameron Baker

http://www.novelupdates.com/stag/male-to-female/
Knock yourself out.
Like maybe 20% of them don't have RPG mechanics.

Ryan Allen
Ryan Allen

such a bad reputation
Really? They're still hot in Japan getting more and more LN adaptions and now even anime adaptions.

A series being isekai is basically a winning formula, at least for now.

Asher Gray
Asher Gray

Always that one fag.

What is it about Sup Forums that makes you wanna so gay?

Isaiah Rodriguez
Isaiah Rodriguez

What? No.

If anything Grimgar further proved that transferred to another world is a shit premise.

Carter Campbell
Carter Campbell

Yeah, and have you noticed that with the exception of Overlord, none of the MC's in isekai anime have bullshit powers? And Overlord runs with the whole bullshit overpowered MC thing the right way.

Clearly production committees are steering away from adapting that shit because they know that it's become one of the hallmarks of "bad isekai".

Kayden Thompson
Kayden Thompson

Grimgar being shit was entirely unrelated to its premis. It was just incredibly boring.

Jack Garcia
Jack Garcia

What is Farscape

Benjamin White
Benjamin White

Use alternate universe plot device like Keit-ai

Henry Jenkins
Henry Jenkins

MC destroys isekai for moral satisfaction
this has to happen

Michael Foster
Michael Foster

Not being reborn as Ciaphas Cain
Want to live the easy life of an artillery captain
Dumped into Tyranids, Necrons, an Ork wauugh and literally demon world
Every time you crawl out alive Command considers it a sign you haven't been in deep enough shit

Charles Sanchez
Charles Sanchez

By revealing that you are actually from the parallel world, and got send to the earth in the past for some dark twisted plot.

Extra point if the author can include economy, politic, modern law, invention and culture to the parallel world just for shit and giggles.

And a grand plot (multi direction world saving campaigns) for extra spicy.

Basically, learn yourself some chinkrune then entertain yourself with this one: 疯巫妖的实验日志

Anthony Price
Anthony Price

It's literal clownfish syndrome. user has never seen a girl, therefore he must become one for the tribe.

Nolan Howard
Nolan Howard

try to write isekai
turns out into undertaleXdark souls
How horrifying.

Parker Lewis
Parker Lewis

Nobody cares about fujoshit, though. Have a harem anime where the main character tells the tsundere to fuck off while aiming for the childhood friend or MILF, for example. It would be an incredibly welcome breath of fresh air to the genre.

John Parker
John Parker

Tsundere's aren't that prevelent in isekai harems anyway, at least not as much as battle harems.

Although there seems to be a growing number of yandere only isekai harems for some reason.

Sebastian Stewart
Sebastian Stewart

ordinary Japanese high school girl gets hit by a truck
transported into a fantasy world brimming with swords and sorcery
but she herself can't cast any magic at all, let alone any cheat skills
all she wants is to go back home
goes from using nothing but her wits and cunning to survive in this world to becoming one of the greatest magic researchers the world has ever seen despite being unable to cast magic herself, all to find a way to open a portal back to Japan
In other words, give me my Nanahoshi MT spinoff already.

Dominic Bennett
Dominic Bennett

A bunch of isekai MC have weird-ass tastes in women though, they often go for niche archetypes to begin with. You just haven't been looking hard enough at all.

Ayden Rivera
Ayden Rivera

Replace that last one with
to becoming one of the greatest power players the world has ever seen as she exploits heroes and villains alike to find a way to portal back to Japan

Followed shortly by
Now there's a portal to a fantasy world in Japan and everything has gone to shit. GOOD JOB.

Jordan Edwards
Jordan Edwards

MC and his friend gets summoned into a new unknown world. Both are savvy in the isekai genre so the both realize what have happened pretty fast.

Remind me of a Taiwanese adult novel named 六朝雲龍吟, the friend was prepared for everything if he happens to be transfer to alternate world. Then said friend die in the very first chapter.. Also this novel has some gantz-like plot (although the novel is set in some fictional ancient chinese-like kingdom, in some point of the story the MC encounter a futuristic city that turn out to be made by some lifeform to raise human at pets/animals, they even has car using human skin at seat cover too.), not to mention rape, killing, slavery, drug, gore and other shit.

Isekai novel should be at least entertaining like this.

Dominic Perez
Dominic Perez

anti-social cunt
somehow befriends all of the most powerful people in the world
More Mary Sue than Rudy tbqh mi familia.

Samuel Barnes
Samuel Barnes

It's called the power of being a qt 3.14.

Dominic Young
Dominic Young

The Hero and Demon Lord (female) are reincarnated as middle school kids
They have none of their powers

Isekai genre fixed.

Benjamin Rivera
Benjamin Rivera

Grimgar without the memory wipe?

Christopher Hall
Christopher Hall

no raep
if shawshank redemption can have people raping the MC, why can't a shitty western isekai novel do the same?

Nolan Sanchez
Nolan Sanchez

I'd actually read this.

Joseph Hall
Joseph Hall

Other World Dining Hall updates never

RIP

Thomas Cruz
Thomas Cruz

Overlord was great, fight me.

Charles Williams
Charles Williams

An isekai with no girls, complete with the mixture of rage, resignation and homolust this would lead to in real life.

Jace Smith
Jace Smith

I can just imagine you while it aired:
fantasy battles to bring the arciel arc to an end while MC continues his McD's career
"NOOO, FFFFF-"
You little bitch.

Jason Baker
Jason Baker

its a mr. lyle chapter

Christian Taylor
Christian Taylor

Anti-social cunt
Where was this stated?

Eli Clark
Eli Clark

By the way she acts?
She's a shut-in that spends most of her time in her laboratory refusing to interact with anybody and she gives a profound lack of fucks about showing social niceties to anyone. A large part of her character development is her learning to warm up to people other than Rudy and Orsted.

It might not be the way she originally was on Earth but she definitely became moody and withdrawn due to her situation post-transfer.

Camden Murphy
Camden Murphy

I hope not. Because the moralfaggotry of Now and Then must have set a record on being a beta faggot. MC surviving and got to go home without killing anyone was pure bs.

Zachary King
Zachary King

It was everything wrong with isekai. Everyone and their dog was sucking Ainz. Ainz had all the legendary gear, broken p2w cheats and all his minions can dominate the average enemy. Fuck that was boring.

Julian Roberts
Julian Roberts

Just make more seasons of Konosuba. That is it. Throw some OVAs in there too.

Caleb Ramirez
Caleb Ramirez

I wish I could enjoy Sevens, but I just don't for some reason.

Wyatt Ward
Wyatt Ward

yeah but it's not Digimon Adventures

Digimon Adventures = Best Isekai (Geminar is the runner up)

Leo Thompson
Leo Thompson

that's less because she's anti-social and more because she's really focused on trying to get back

Noah Diaz
Noah Diaz

best isekai
MC gets cucked by his best friend

Kayden King
Kayden King

we don't talk about 02 deary

Angel Davis
Angel Davis

Because they don't like it, it's really that simple, wall of text rationalizations be damned.

Aiden Anderson
Aiden Anderson

Nigga, people just want OPwankery, romanticism is dead, let it go.

Connor Taylor
Connor Taylor

gifting babies
Oh lawdy, you're never gonna go away, are you?

Nolan Martin
Nolan Martin

Why not just have Sup Forums collaborate a thing where it's anti-cliche where no cliches can be used in the first place?

For being so much against cliches,
/a/nons sure like to duplicate the same threads over and over again

Blake Campbell
Blake Campbell

Reminder that Tanya looked like this before gettng turned into a loli.

Zachary Hall
Zachary Hall

I'm shit when it comes to coming up with plots but he goes: MC is a perverted virgin who's obsessed with boobs/sex/etc.

He gets killed and is reincarnated into an RPG fantasy world as a wealthy noble's daughter with a 9/10 body. Only problem is: the MC no longer feels sexual attraction towards females (being that he is one) even though he has 24/7 access to a 9/10 body and is surrounded by hot girls his age at his school.

The boys are crazy for her (the MC) and her 9/10 body but she's still mentally a male so she doesn't feel any attraction towards them either. She rejects all the bishonen regardless of their appeal as he's become asexual as fuck. watashi no SoL anti-harem not-so-romcom desu

Luke Ward
Luke Ward

Reminder that El Hazard did it first and did it better.

Julian Allen
Julian Allen

A girl that through various circumstances gets "re-incarnated" into the far future every time.
20XX AD: sick high school girl, put into cryo sleep
2553 AD: half-cyborg soldier, wounded in combat
7521 AD: full cyborg, space elevator construction worker. fell down to earth saving the elevator
19934 AD: colony ship central intelligence, crash-landed
2731 3rd Age (33715 AD): colony ship survivors set up fantasy civilization. She thought she was some hero in a quest but the demon lord is actually the rest of her consciousness that's still wired to the ship ruins, trying to merge back into her.
264,333 AD: Megastructure explorer
254 million years later: ??????

Julian Morgan
Julian Morgan

You mean Sora and Matt? I thought people liked Matt.

Ethan Roberts
Ethan Roberts

as a chair
If the owner was a female/loli, this would be fun to see how it turns to shit slowly.

Bentley Smith
Bentley Smith

Romanticism with never die!

Eli Evans
Eli Evans

Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami is kinda like that, except she's a legit female, but she gets dumped by the main boy in the first chapter.

Benjamin Barnes
Benjamin Barnes

There some cliches that most of us really like. Is just most of them are badly used with shit writing.

Easton Murphy
Easton Murphy

I want to fondle Shiro's boobs

Adam Martinez
Adam Martinez

Does nobody realize there are Issekais without all that, but they don't receive attention from Nips, so they don't get popularized?

Blake Jackson
Blake Jackson

Go to novelupdates and look under the female protagonist tag.

Caleb Ortiz
Caleb Ortiz

Manga translations when?

Jayden Hill
Jayden Hill

Other than kumo-chan the only isekai manga with a female mc I know is the black healer, but that's actually a shoujo.

Blake Rodriguez
Blake Rodriguez

Romanticism can be seen throughout a lot of Japanese works, even today. Most popular one is One Piece, we can see that is not dead. Is just fat otakus can not get into writing it right. Because they are more focused on making their dream of finally being the strongest, smartest and hottest guy around become true. You need someone that aspire to more. Sadly LNs are filled to the brim with these worthless authors.

Carter Price
Carter Price

Tanaka, pls.

Jace King
Jace King

Forgot pic I could have used

Ironic plot twist: MC ends up hating sex after being reincarnated as a girl because of the boys who are exactly like him in her previous life.

Easton Reed
Easton Reed

RiP Eru.

Xavier Martinez
Xavier Martinez

So in the end, it all comes down to Japan having shit taste?

Jayden Wood
Jayden Wood

Asexual protagonist
New and original

Michael Peterson
Michael Peterson

I loathe the ending. An immortal being trapped alone on the buttom of the ocean must be hell.

Hudson Scott
Hudson Scott

I doubt the nips are going to like it. No harem, MC is unrelatable. The one that is got killed.

Leo Walker
Leo Walker

civil engineer

Honestly, not really, the thing is that the way modern construction works is way different than what they did back in the day, and you probably will have to learn everything again from the get go to get used to how they do things. Really, modern civil engineers depend on all sorts of tools, references and stuff that make it hard to work without them in the past, specially in the designing of stuff. Sure, there are ways to get around those limitations and a lot of the basics of how structures work carry over, but a normal modern engineer probably wouldn't really know how to build an aqueduct using stone masonry like they did back in the day (since he would be used to using stuff like concrete and steel).

Luis Morris
Luis Morris

Eh, nandatte?

Leo Flores
Leo Flores

sounds too tumblr

Evan Howard
Evan Howard

I mean, I could start doing it but the editing on it seems way beyond my skills. So it'll look pretty shit.

Aaron Thomas
Aaron Thomas

You'll never touch one of the CPUs or the CPU candidates.

Why even live?

Also, if you can become a CPU, what would you represent? The masterrace?

Mason Reyes
Mason Reyes

Been there, done that.

Daniel Cooper
Daniel Cooper

There's a reason for it though, not like others who are just "too badass for sexuality"

Fine, make her a lesbian as she builds her harem with all the hottest chicks at her /u/catalog#s=niversity

Gabriel Ward
Gabriel Ward

Is fine. Is not that good anyway.

Noah Ortiz
Noah Ortiz

The MC from Summoned Slaughterer wants eternal war if that counts.

Jackson Ortiz
Jackson Ortiz

You can't find a kid nowadays who can use a slide rule much less design one. Without a computer that's the closest thing you get to pounding out the sheer amount of math any reasonable project takes.

Nicholas White
Nicholas White

I rather just watch a real SoL without the convoluted things. And the other guy is right. Sounds like tumblr the isekai.

Nathaniel Stewart
Nathaniel Stewart

Fair enough. Explain this tumblr meme to me.

Sebastian Richardson
Sebastian Richardson

I think it's pretty fun, but the story needs some time to pick up for sure.

Hunter Powell
Hunter Powell

Really, that's why the fantasy of a engineer changing the past is really hard to sell, since you really depend on a lot of modern stuff to do your projects nowadays.

Blake Wright
Blake Wright

OK. Follow me on this.

We make the Teen Titans Go of Isekai ln shows; not one frame isn't not mocking Isekai shows and the people who watch them.

If that doesn't fix the genre, nothing will.

Wyatt Reed
Wyatt Reed

So Konosuba, except it doesn't have godawful humor and chibi designs?

Ethan Long
Ethan Long

The manga is nice (so far), I wanted to get the LNs but I heard from a fellow acquaintance that it slowly descends into mediocrity.

Luke Cook
Luke Cook

Its not very good so I understand why.

Cameron Morris
Cameron Morris

Also sounds like tumblr. You have no idea what tumblr is do ya?

Alexander Kelly
Alexander Kelly

NGNL probably sold the concept the best, with the siblings getting sent to the other world with an iPad chock full of reference books in its library so they could bless their medieval kingdom with the full breadth of modern human knowledge.

Though on second thought they're probably the only set of protagonists that DIDN'T need the reference books in the iPad to begin with since Shiro has fucking photographic memory to begin with and can do math faster than a goddamn supercomputer. Fucking Mary Sues.

Matthew White
Matthew White

/u/ is now tumblr

Jonathan Davis
Jonathan Davis

Like seriously, getting a normal guy with an Ipad with ton of reference materials as your super power would probably be enough. Sure it might be hard to get everything working, but it's a good way to try and help cover up for the things you lack to make this engineer fantasy work.

Alexander Mitchell
Alexander Mitchell

Fuck. Just burn it all down.

Jacob Wood
Jacob Wood

Same with the manga, but the WN is even worse after the first slave arc. Great start, then just your average fantasy shit again.
tumblr is a gathering of a lot of things. But most people associate it with women that hates men. Because is mostly a circlejerk echochamber for women. And there is of course women that hate sex, both with women and men, which in most cases, because they got none with their below average look. They would probably eat your idea up.

Nolan Roberts
Nolan Roberts

Yup. Keep up with society mate. It "advances" in an alarming rate.

Brayden James
Brayden James

iPad runs out of power.

Good job retard.

Blake Stewart
Blake Stewart

funny thing about people complaining about the gender bender Isekai only two series so far had the MC going for guys at the end (Vampire princess and one of the characters in Kumo desu ga) rest are either full blown yuri or subtext

I say we go deeper and have the genderbent MC's former and current heterosexuality combine into bi-sexuality and get a harem composed of everything that moves.

Jacob Torres
Jacob Torres

Solar batteries! If NGNL can get away with it...

Jason James
Jason James

Which is why they conveniently had a solar charger with them when they were sent into the other world in NGNL.

Because two shut-in NEETs who hardly ever go outside having a solar charger makes total sense.

Jordan Thompson
Jordan Thompson

I liked the premise and art in grimgar, and kinda liked the characters. I think its problem, like so many other adaptations, is "too little butter spread over too much bread."

Too many episodes where too little happened. The last two were good, but it also kinda teases you with what the show could have been on a consistent basis.

I'm sorry, but fuck insert songs.

Tyler Cox
Tyler Cox

Nitpicking a power fantasy
We all know is flawed shit. But it was entertaining. I wonder what happened to it. Did writer die or something?

Charles Lopez
Charles Lopez

But we need to sell those singles, user.

Hudson Peterson
Hudson Peterson

The characters were bland shit. The problem was the entire writing. From the cardboard characters to the events that unfolds. And memory wipe is terrible most of the time.

Robert Powell
Robert Powell

Maybe due to all the power outlets in their apartment being constantly occupied they bought the solar charger and put it on the window sill so they could charge one more device at a time.

Connor Roberts
Connor Roberts

Ranta was the only character in the group that really defined himself, even though he was obnoxious, he carried the most life out of all of the group.

Jacob Bailey
Jacob Bailey

Mary defined herself by being incredibly sexy and being doujin bait.

Benjamin Kelly
Benjamin Kelly

And memory wipe is terrible most of the time
This. It was a lazy excuse to not think up of any shit for the characters aside from their bare bones base personality.
It would have been far superior if they were just incompetent denizens of the world with no isekai premise in the first place.

Gavin Anderson
Gavin Anderson

aint no otaku knows bout innipendant strong female characters who don't need no man.
Yes, women are such a mystery.

Jonathan Lee
Jonathan Lee

I didn't even know she was considered fapbait. The anime was a piece of shit, and Ranta was mostly the only one with good character depth.

Lucas Roberts
Lucas Roberts

Ranta had somewhat of a bone, at least. Despite being a fucking idiot.

Hudson Harris
Hudson Harris

A ton of popular otaku writers are female to begin with.

Unless you're implying that females don't know how to write female characters in general either.

Kevin Carter
Kevin Carter

There are almost no doujins on Grimgar, they should have stuck with the LN art instead of making some kind of generic kyoani design.

Lincoln Cruz
Lincoln Cruz

ctrl+f nature of love
I was not disappointed.

Ethan Butler
Ethan Butler

Its quite simple

Use DD 3.5 magic system
Steal the lore as well.
Steal character types as well
Make MC Raistlin

Cant fuck that up

Jason Gomez
Jason Gomez

To fix wish fullfillment
Why would you want to do that?

we first need to teach otaku writers to write about female protagonists/characters in general
So instead of the sweet, basically good characters Otaku create, you want them all to be overly-entitled, sanctimonious, self-pitying jerks like real western women.
Sounds great.

Michael Flores
Michael Flores

Most isekai are based off a heavily bastardized version of D&D to begin with.

Luke Jenkins
Luke Jenkins

Bastardized
theres the problem. DD 3.5 with highly optimized builds will trump anything shown in anime

Colton Roberts
Colton Roberts

By making all the protagonists into spiders.
This may be the greatest idea ever.

Jaxson Nguyen
Jaxson Nguyen

Thinks the problem lies in the RPG system, lore and character archetypes
No dummy. The problem lies in the author not being able to write a decent story with a decent prose. Amateur hour, but instead of 90% being bad, is 99.9%.

Adam Watson
Adam Watson

MC has to avoid getting cannibalized by his harem

Andrew Sanders
Andrew Sanders

We need more of this

Daniel Sanders
Daniel Sanders

Isekai told from the point of view of a powerful wizard.
Story starts when he comes across a some odd teenager who fell from the sky.
He believes he's the chosen one and has powers.
Doesn't stop talking about some alternate world and weird story elements which sound like they were written by a adolescent.
Wizard has to constantly cover his ass to stop him from dying
Teenager constantly tries to do MC shit like fight demons and what not.
Wizard has to negotiate to not get killed.
Name:
A Useless Brat In Another World.

Carson Harris
Carson Harris

To fix wish fullfillment
Delete this.

Noah White
Noah White

Hot.

Jayden Martinez
Jayden Martinez

more nopan

Bentley Collins
Bentley Collins

Anri from Jashin Average is cursed to wear bottomless panties if that counts.

Lucas Wilson
Lucas Wilson

Lewd.

Christopher Hall
Christopher Hall

already saved by Grimgar

Asher Green
Asher Green

You posted the only good show in the entire genre

Dominic Lopez
Dominic Lopez

Konosubafags are insufferable.

Luis Lopez
Luis Lopez

fuck off faggot

Kayden Fisher
Kayden Fisher

I just want something that starts out as a cliche, cute, stupid SoL about girls using modified WW1 equipment to fight other schools for who gets the biggest of that year's budget for about 3 chapters then turns into an actual Great War clusterfuck with gore and rape and PTSD and clouds of poisonous gas as they all learn what industrialized killing means.

But not like in an edgy way, not just for the sake of gore. It could be a critique on mass warfare. How simply it can start.

Camden Sanchez
Camden Sanchez

You could make it a semi-post apocalyptic world. All the lost technology in this sci-fi world could only be controlled by someone with pure genes or something. Or you could make it so that the people of this world can't read the ancient language (MC's main language) that's needed to operate said lost technology.

Kevin Jackson
Kevin Jackson

There would be no point in making it isekai, then. Just keep it as Sci-fi and it'd work better since the audience would be capable of recognizing and relate to the technologies, albeit more advanced.

Kinda like how Classroom Crisis really didn't need the Sci-fi shtick.

Aaron Martin
Aaron Martin

Anime adaptations bring ruin to fanbases, you should have known that by now.

Josiah Thomas
Josiah Thomas

How about an edgelord take on the genre?
typical beta, bullied faggot gets transported to a fantasy world
he's overjoyed to escape real life
but then he quickly finds out the rest of his class is teleported to the world also
he's in despair, the Chads are all beefy warriors now and bully him harder
he becomes an assassin and spends the series killing off his classmates, who all chose different fantasy classes, one by one and torturing them

Thomas Myers
Thomas Myers

It's funny cause before the anime:
It's an ok read somewhat funny
After:
OMG HFYWGDKWHHGV AMAZING,MAH PARODY, MAH COMEDY, MAH MEGUMIN SO GOOD. PARODIES THE ISEKAI GENRE I'VE LITERALLY NEVER HEARD ABOUT NOR ABOUT THE DOZENS OF OTHER SERIES ON NAROU THAT DO THE SAME BUT BETTER. AHHH BUT I"LL STILL PRETEND I DO. AFTER ALL....IT'S A MASTERPIECE AND HAS NO FLAWS BECAUSE..... PARODY!!!!!

Carson Nguyen
Carson Nguyen

anime makes fanbases significantly more retarded

news at 11

John Collins
John Collins

haven't you read the thread there's tons of edgy entries in the genre

none of it matters because the MC still has an OP gary stu cheat ability anyway and are still self-insert fics

also you just described Suterareta Yuusha no Eiyuutan

Cooper Jackson
Cooper Jackson

you know what's missing in the genre? a delinquent series

have a class isekai series but instead of a typical high school have one of those "municipal all-boys school for worthless dropouts and thugs" school like in those delinquent manga.

Just have a school full of delinquents with cheat abilities just tearing up the fantasy world and basically becoming warlords

Austin Miller
Austin Miller

delinquents with clubs and loincloths squatting next to orcs
Yes please

David Bell
David Bell

people actually think that anyone cares about their opinion or what they think and how many buzzwords they can throw out

Is this the normalfag and crossboarder containment thread? Thanks for all of the filter terms, though. Kill yourselves.

Liam Sanders
Liam Sanders

Or cut out the middleman and have them directly reincarnate as orcs.

Nathaniel Moore
Nathaniel Moore

or better yet orks

Ryder Morgan
Ryder Morgan

Fantasy cromartie high school?

Bentley Jenkins
Bentley Jenkins

or fantasy Crows/Worst/Daibancho

Gavin Nguyen
Gavin Nguyen

You can't.

The main demographic for that genre involves failures at real-life would wish to self-insert as the main character who escapes to a different world and does well. That's why a whole load of them (especially reincarnation ones) have hikki's that suddenly become alpha because the new world is rpgesque.

The only thing that could be done to save the genre is to make it very fucking slow. It's always either big time skips and then MC is suddenly op or it's just bullshit MC is op from his advent.

It would have to have reasonable progression but still give the readers that feeling of the MC being stronger than the rest which can't happen in manga or anime due to time and budget constraints and hence why that genre is most specifically seen in light novels due to it being the most easiest medium to express it.

People want to see characters develop but that just isn't possible without making them really fucking op for bullshit reasons.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page