There are people on Sup Forums who will defend this

Adam Wood
Adam Wood

Why are otaku so fucking stupid? Because of their obsessive and unreasonable purchasing habits, all anime fans all around the world have hard time supporting their favourite creators and studios. It makes no sense whatsoever.

All urls found in this thread:
https://cyborgdreams.com/2015/10/17/why-are-anime-dvds-so-expensive-in-japan/
http://www.amazon.com/Bakemonogatari-Collection-DVD/dp/B00MCKN8C8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1462721621&sr=8-6&keywords=bakemonogatari
Hudson Green
Hudson Green

Price elasticity

Caleb Russell
Caleb Russell

bakamonogatari

Owen Anderson
Owen Anderson

Actually, I won't defend that OP
I'm with you

Colton Perez
Colton Perez

I don't get it. What's OP trying to argue? BD boxes are too expensive?

Noah Thomas
Noah Thomas

It's a niche market.

Jayden Rogers
Jayden Rogers

I would watch this

Caleb Adams
Caleb Adams

There's a lot of things that you are not considering

Isaiah Hill
Isaiah Hill

Left doesn't even deserve to be bought by anyone.

Jason Richardson
Jason Richardson

I don't remember Bakemonogatari being on screens in every cinema around the world.

Ryan Hall
Ryan Hall

crap anime magically pieced together on a shoestring budget because people aren't buying BDs
overpriced BDs that contain just a couple of episodes
It's a vicious cycle. Japanese businessmen are too stubborn to change their exploitative ways. They prefer the weak and declining but comfy stream of NEET dosh.

Jonathan Gonzalez
Jonathan Gonzalez

When you consider 97% of people pirate stream anime the higher price just helps to even things out a little more. Can you Imagine how many people bought the Lord of the Rings books and merchandise and went and saw it in theaters compared to Bakemonogatori?

Dominic Barnes
Dominic Barnes

Yes HD quality BD are more expensive than old SD quality DVDs. I can't wait for the DVD to disappear and the BD to become the norm with a more reasonable price.

Logan Roberts
Logan Roberts

Maybe if they started making good anime instead of panderfest moeshit then the market would expand? Who would have thought...

Noah Ortiz
Noah Ortiz

baitpost/10
Try harder next time.

Jonathan Gomez
Jonathan Gomez

bitching about niche market

Benjamin Lee
Benjamin Lee

I'd buy way more anime if it was actually fucking affordable.

Bentley Parker
Bentley Parker

You don't honestly believe that do you?

Brandon Howard
Brandon Howard

He's comparing a series of blockbuster movies that already covered its budged cost with its theatrical releases in all the world, that already milked even more money from the singular releases of DVD and BD for each movie and that is now selling at low price the trilogy in a bundled box with a niche anime that solely supports itself with BD and DVD sales.

Christopher Price
Christopher Price

It is. As long as you're not set on buying the Japanese releases of things, anyway.

Jeremiah Morris
Jeremiah Morris

Lord Of the Rings

Thomas Jones
Thomas Jones

I'm sorry?

Nathan Phillips
Nathan Phillips

Something that is more "mainstream" will sell better and thus can be cheaper since they will sell more and the sheer volume of people buying will make up for the lower price.

Something niche as fuck will have higher prices on stuff, because they need higher prices to make up for the lack of people buying.

Something like this
Product A
100 people buy it
Priced at $10
Total earning: $1000

Product B
1000 people buy it
Priced at $5
Total earning: $5000

Charles King
Charles King

do you not understand what economies of scale are?

Brody Allen
Brody Allen

I'm with you. A 3 eps BD shouldn't cost over 15 bucks.

Grayson Cox
Grayson Cox

There are plenty examples that support this view. Starting with popular anime such as Precure and Attack on Titan, and ending with the portfolio of Ghibli.

Colton Cook
Colton Cook

Bakamonogatari
Credibility lost.

John Stewart
John Stewart

cute girls and shit talking
Worth every last cent.

16 hours of sleeping aid
I'll just wait for it to become public domain.

Jose James
Jose James

If the price is a problem for you, just buy the set.
It is cheaper than the individual BDs and also comes with extras.

Dylan Parker
Dylan Parker

This is retarded. All they need is make anime appealing to a wider audience. Not moeshit sol and ecchi harem garbage.

Mason Flores
Mason Flores

Well it does and it will and it's the reason why anime can currently be produced.

Dominic Murphy
Dominic Murphy

This guy gets it.

A more extreme example would be that useless iPhone app which just displays a diamond or something.
Sold in the thousands of bucks
Only a few idiotic richfags buy it
Still worth it for the creator

Nicholas Parker
Nicholas Parker

Because I'm so sure coming up with top selling anime is easy. Everyone should start doing it.

Carter Martin
Carter Martin

All they need is make anime appealing to a wider audience.
Actually, all they need to do is sell more.

It's so simple I'm surprised they haven't come up with it before.

Camden Foster
Camden Foster

Exactly. And to sell more, they need to pander to a wider audience. See, you are a reasonable chap after all.

Tyler Jones
Tyler Jones

I'll just wait for it to become public domain.
This guy gets it.

Chase Powell
Chase Powell

Not really. The main target of anime production is TV broadcast. DVD/BD releases come second and mainly target otaku who are willing to spend more than the merchandise is worth. Targetting a niche indeed.

Angel Smith
Angel Smith

The main target of anime production is TV broadcast.
TV broadcast makes no money, retard.

Lincoln Parker
Lincoln Parker

stop being retarded
direct to DVD stuff isn't as expensive as anime either.

Logan Sanchez
Logan Sanchez

And to sell more, they need to pander to a wider audience.
No, they just need to sell more. You don't have to think about anything about what kind of people might want to buy anime. Just sell more.

Nicholas Scott
Nicholas Scott

Wow, why does TV broadcast even exist I wonder...

Cooper Thomas
Cooper Thomas

Y'all know that "Otaku" means "Home" right?
If you're regularly buying anime, you likely have a job or a rich parent.

Oliver Wright
Oliver Wright

It's not as easy as you'd like to believe. Most anime studios know what sells pretty well and what they can make a profit on. They wouldn't easily take a chance on something like that unless it seemed like an absolutely amazing idea and they story was already written out and the source material sold well and even then it could blow up in their face.

Eli Flores
Eli Flores

To sell the BDs and other merchandise. This isn't rocket science.

Jacob Hall
Jacob Hall

To sell figures, daikis, and idols

Charles Bennett
Charles Bennett

TV channels pay millions to broadcast anything, be it sports, movies or whatever.

Luke Ramirez
Luke Ramirez

The main target of anime production is TV broadcast.
It really isn't. TV broadcast is the method of initial release, but makes them no money and is ultimately advertising for DVD/Blu-Ray releases and merch.

Xavier Clark
Xavier Clark

Just what do you even mean by that? You say it as if selling more is just something that you can decide to do and it will magically happen.

Carson Lee
Carson Lee

Americans are so cute.

Oliver Hernandez
Oliver Hernandez

A novel in the monogatari series when Araragi has to deal with an exceptionally stupid girl

Julian Robinson
Julian Robinson

He's not being serious.

Kayden Jackson
Kayden Jackson

But it's not? A quick search on amazon and I found the whole series at 39$. OP is just a faggot.

Austin Bennett
Austin Bennett

The business model is different over there.

Eli Reyes
Eli Reyes

interesting story
amazing idea
It's like you've never seen a Disney movie. You don't need good ideas, you only need to throw a lot of money at it. Only money can make money. The more you throw at it, in a reasonable way (not buying ferraris for the animation team), the more profit you will make. That's a scientific fact.

Liam Miller
Liam Miller

lord of the rings were boring as fuck

Camden Fisher
Camden Fisher

Yea, for a halfwit moepig such as you.

Mason Parker
Mason Parker

Better question is this:-

Ian Richardson
Ian Richardson

it's another "lets support the industry" thread
Did Hiro turned this site as a shill spot for CR/Funi?

Jackson Flores
Jackson Flores

People actually believe this.
People actually believe studios only make money off BDs and merchandise
People actually believe that studios don't negotiate for commercial profits of shows they produce with networks

Ayden Collins
Ayden Collins

vitcim blaming

Nolan Ross
Nolan Ross

It's a matter of convenience. Even with modern shit it's a crapshoot on whether you'll actually be able to buy it anywhere because licensing is still apparently the wild west. And streaming still hasn't picked up, but it's one the way. Not to mention that culture of getting subs for free is deeply ingrained and will be hard to break, mainly in part because of the above.

I mean, you'll probably never make anime mainstream considering what kind of shows get made, but they really should've expanded beyond just their otaku fanbase at this point. They should've realized western market EXISTS.

Christopher Nguyen
Christopher Nguyen

Why do you think advertising disappeared from the report type list?

Gavin Price
Gavin Price

I happen to work in the broadcast industry in EU. I know fairly well how this kind of thing works.

Things might differ somewhat in Japan, but I think it's safe to assume a TV channel does not get a program for free.

Adrian Martinez
Adrian Martinez

Main difference here is Monogatari is actually enjoyable and LotR is a hollywood-esque and boring take on Tolkien's books.

Also nobody is forcing you to buy anime, this shit will always be a niche market especially outside Japan so it's perfectly understandable for it to be expensive. You don't set up price for goods depending on how much they're worth but how much money people are willing to pay for them.

Anthony Sanders
Anthony Sanders

LotR turned a boring 2000 page novel into a boring 6 hour film.

Monogatari turned a LN no one was reading to a household name in Japan.

Clearly Monogatari is better.

Ayden Fisher
Ayden Fisher

No, that's what you are saying.

"Just pander differently and you will sell more like magic."

Complete bullshit with absolutely no data to back it up except "I think this feels right".

Colton Watson
Colton Watson

actually advocating for studios to pander to the lowest common denominator

Threads like this are why I'm glad the anime industry doesn't give a fuck about the West.

Benjamin Murphy
Benjamin Murphy

I happen to work in the broadcast industry in EU.
Guys, trust me, I sell used cars in Nigeria, I know how the business works!

David Bell
David Bell

Things might differ somewhat in Japan, but I think it's safe to assume a TV channel does not get a program for free.
Late night anime airtime is purchased by the animation studio. The animation studio literally pays the TV channel to air it.

Benjamin Baker
Benjamin Baker

In a way that's true because the higher the budget the better and more experienced people and team you can have working on the anime and creating it and for advertising. With a crazy amount of money you can make almost any story even little fairy tails onto blockbuster hits. Money isn't everything though as you still want a good base story that you could possibly make a sequel for and possibly even a long running thing out of with a ton of characters which means merchandise.

Evan Martin
Evan Martin

Lord of the rings.

Bakemonogatari is just stylished harem garbage. Even if it looks good its just a harem garbage

Noah Ramirez
Noah Ramirez

People actually believe studios only make money off BDs and merchandise
No, studios make jack shit off the BDs and mechandise in 90% of the cases because they don't own the show.

Thomas Nguyen
Thomas Nguyen

that's completely wrong.
even disney needed pixar to restructure them before they became creative again.

i recommend reading this book, because a lot of the problems in the anime industry could probably be solved if they incorporated the stuff in here.

Dominic Edwards
Dominic Edwards

Oh come on how can you not like LOTR.

Logan Garcia
Logan Garcia

You'd be right if it wasn't Japan we were talking about, or if we weren't talking about late night anime.

The anime companies actually pay for time slots on TV networks.

https://cyborgdreams.com/2015/10/17/why-are-anime-dvds-so-expensive-in-japan/

Connor Murphy
Connor Murphy

This. People forget most studios are just hired to do shit. Although I guess it applies to actually anime originals they own.

Isaac Rivera
Isaac Rivera

Although I guess it applies to actually anime originals they own.
Most of those are owned by production companies like Aniplex anyways.

Thomas Ward
Thomas Ward

194k units
a big deal
That's like 0.2% of the population. Return of the King made more than $72 million in its opening weekend.

Oliver Rogers
Oliver Rogers

Bakamonogatari

Carter Powell
Carter Powell

でも貴方達が言うfucking stupid がいないとこの板もアニメ業界も成り立たないぞ?

まぁ違法視聴するのは構わんけどBD購入者を批判するのはどうかと思うけどねぇ…

Jayden Cook
Jayden Cook

As capeshit, transformers, and basically all of Adam Sandler's movies have shown, a movie doesn't need to be good to make money.

As long as you pump money into marketing, the people will come.

Julian Bailey
Julian Bailey

Yea this is why I wasn't freaking out when Netflix decided to do anime. They were going to pay a Japanese studio to do it and likely from a Japanese light novel. Everyone was thinking it was going to be Westernized and probably still do and a lot of people were saying they would even consider it anime just because it wast going to be funded by Netflix.

Kevin Thomas
Kevin Thomas

Wouldn't

Charles Miller
Charles Miller

I imported Bakemonogatari BD from Amazon.co.uk for 30 pounds for the entire series.

Evan Anderson
Evan Anderson

I bet you feel pretty embarrassed about it.

Dylan Allen
Dylan Allen

So any Monkey or Bee arc?

Luis Taylor
Luis Taylor

Just have an average plot and hit the sweet spots in the target audience, that's the formula to make money.

Julian King
Julian King

Not at all. Thriftiness is nothing to be embarrassed by.

Ethan Thompson
Ethan Thompson

Netflix is the American distributor for that anime TV series. It's not the producer.

Brayden Long
Brayden Long

game of thrones is better

Josiah Williams
Josiah Williams

Return of the King made more than $72 million in its opening weekend.
…on a $94 million budget. Love Live made ¥400 million and considering that Millennium Actress was made for ¥120 million at the time, Love Live most likely turned profit during that weekend alone.

Ryder Thomas
Ryder Thomas

And Deadpool did even better.
What's your point?

Aiden Perry
Aiden Perry

Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire is overrated as fuck.

Andrew King
Andrew King

No, what the hell is your point?

Mason Peterson
Mason Peterson

why the fuck did it get so popular?

I haven't watched myself yet but isn't it just a series about a violent struggle for a throne with some lewd mixed in?

Blake Taylor
Blake Taylor

I managed to watch the first episode of Game of Thrones.

I don't remember the last time I was so bored.

Camden Bennett
Camden Bennett

Creatively has nothing to do with why Disney sells. Brand is a very powerful tool.
People watch these movies because they're Disney movies, not because of any potential creativity that can be derived from retelling age old fairy tails.

Aiden Turner
Aiden Turner

Otaku is the Japanese equivalent of the Latin word "vos", or the German word "Ihr".

Xavier Perez
Xavier Perez

You're a fucking retard OP.

Grayson Hall
Grayson Hall

Relatively decent, easy to follow, plot, lot of tiddies and lots of deaths when you least expect it.
Of course most people would love this kind of thing.

I for one find it just average.

Jackson Martin
Jackson Martin

The irony behind Disney is that their success comes from animating old fairy tales from the public domain and yet they are the biggest enemy for public domain since they have influenced a ton of copyright laws that extend the copyright for creative works.

Brayden Hughes
Brayden Hughes

isn't it just a series about a violent struggle for a throne with some lewd mixed in?
Well, no, it's not "just" a violent struggle with some lewd thrown in.
It's a compelling show with high production values about political intrigue and war, that doesn't pull its punches when it comes to killing off characters. And LOTS of sex.

Cooper Green
Cooper Green

It's a niche market, 3 or four normalfag shows per season won't support shit. Dumb westerner

Hudson Collins
Hudson Collins

That sounds like every single fuckin' dark and edgy anime we've gotten in the last few years.

Aiden Baker
Aiden Baker

look at disneys filmography from the early 2000 before they merged with pixar. i don't remember any of these besides lilo and stich.

People watch these movies because they're Disney movies
and? you could say the same about pixar. but that has meaning in itself. it's because people know that they can make good entertainment.

especially for pixar, they can make it fairly consistently, all while taking risks.
and we're talking about original ip here. in the anime industry people really struggle to create or trust in anime original ips.

Brayden Lewis
Brayden Lewis

Either OP goes to a shitty high school that doesn't even have economics or he hasn't even passed high school

Oliver Miller
Oliver Miller

what is Mulan
what is Pocahontas

Come on now. That was just from the top of my head too.

it's because people know that they can make good entertainment
Hence why they don't care if it's creative. Those studies have a strong legacy behind them, so all they have to do is create a moderately entertaining movie to satisfy people.

William Martin
William Martin

Whoops, I thought you said before 2000. My mistake.

Cooper Cooper
Cooper Cooper

implying a comparable amount of people will purchase BDs of chinese cartoons for ephebophiles as will buy fucking Lord of the Rings

My little OP can't be this retarded.

Michael Foster
Michael Foster

The extended edition versions of LotR are fucking terrible.

Ian Rodriguez
Ian Rodriguez

on the left we see that the main buyers of the product and who knows it's source material thoroughly are mostly on one country only
on the right we see a master piece whose books are sold worldwide read by many, watched by many. Worldwide.
WOW OP I ACTUALLY DON'T KNOW WHY

Noah Ramirez
Noah Ramirez

Even so.
Dinosaur
The Emperor's New Groove
Chicken Little

Don't be mean.

Gabriel Green
Gabriel Green

No. See Batman v Superman, which made money, yes, but nowhere near what it should have, and for recent Disney flops, John Carter and Tomorrowland. Audiences can eat up garbage easily, yes, but not just ANY kind of garbage.

Lincoln Perry
Lincoln Perry

getting this many (you)'s by making one retarded post.
I envy u OP

Kayden Brown
Kayden Brown

the budget of making anime is that low? anyway can i pay money to let say kyoani for making second season of nichijou despite low sales?

Jace Adams
Jace Adams

Anime industry is dying because of BD bullshit, everyone here knows that.

You're not posting anything new.

Alexander Price
Alexander Price

Mate the movie made almost 4 times it's initial $250 million. Regardless of how much money it could have made, the fact that it succeeded in making as much money as it did is testament to the level of quality necessary for commercial success.

Jose Morgan
Jose Morgan

I'm sure they're considering the price/demand and that's what ends up being the most profitable for them. You have to take into account otaku spending habits.

Carter Johnson
Carter Johnson

game of thrones

Adam Peterson
Adam Peterson

Are you a billionaire?
Then yes. Go talk with KyoAni and make Nichijou S2.
And also tell them to keep the BD prices low this time.

David Hernandez
David Hernandez

recent Disney flops, John Carter and Tomorrowland

If we live in a world where breaking even and making a few million more is considered a flop, than the audience can indeed eat up any kind of garbage.

Ayden Jenkins
Ayden Jenkins

It seems like it was very profitable, yes, but now consider the fact that the 250M was just production, and there was also an advertising budget on top of that, which generally exceeds 100M for these kinds of movies. Probably even more so for this one since it was supposed to be a launchpad for another retarded "cinematic universe" series. Now consider that studios get only about half of the theatrical gross, and even less so for international markets.

BvS has definitely made money, but it was a severe disappointment for WB.

Kayden Sanchez
Kayden Sanchez

Most anime Sup Forums watches airs between 11pm and 4am there's barely any advertising money there and often times the only ads they have advertise merch for the show or other shows by the same studio, why would a TV station hand over an entire timeslot for free, let alone pay them for using it?

Asher Wood
Asher Wood

The anime companies actually pay for time slots on TV networks.
This is the most hilarious bullshit i've ever heard.

Anthony Sanchez
Anthony Sanchez

stylized generic harem shit is still generic harem shit.

Adrian Hall
Adrian Hall

They didn't break even, you need to make at least twice the production + marketing budget in order to do that due to theaters taking a cut.

Asher Bell
Asher Bell

Are you retarded? Total sales are not the point, it's the content's value, on the left you are getting 60 minutes for 50 dollars, on the right 700 minutes for 30 dollars, and despite this blatant robbery weeaboos still buy it.

Sebastian Johnson
Sebastian Johnson

WEEABOOS BTFO

Eli Johnson
Eli Johnson

weeaboos
actually buying BDs
Don't make me laugh.

Colton Johnson
Colton Johnson

So, when did our mods die?
Personally, I think we still had some semblance of moderation before Hiro took over.

Parker Lopez
Parker Lopez

Break even = two times production/marketing/distribution/administration costs

Profit = whatever the number the big dudes decide is what they wanted, four times or more is ideal

BvS for example was supposed to help fund both Justice League movies, which it did not make enough money to do.

Andrew Moore
Andrew Moore

The mods are better then ever now because they are deleting loli threads and moving ecchi shit

Caleb Sanders
Caleb Sanders

the content's value
comparing a recently released movie to one that has already been milked to death for a decade

Are you retarded?
That's like saying modern video games are overpriced because some AAA game from 2005 is going for $5 in a sale.

Caleb Taylor
Caleb Taylor

Break even = two times production/marketing/distribution/administration costs
i didn't know that. isn't that kinda deceptive to call it breaking even then? what's the logic here?

Kayden Reed
Kayden Reed

A Song of Ice and Fire is vastly different than the show, tho. It's showcases the stupidity of political concerns while everyone in the world ignores the return of magic to the world because of their skepticism. It has a lot of subtlety in it's magic scenes, unlike the show, and it's fireballs

Brandon Wilson
Brandon Wilson

On the left you are getting a niche product from a relatively small industry in a foreign country.

On the right you are getting a exceptionally well established product of the single largest media industry that has ever existed.

One can afford to subsidize units, one cannot.

Please learn economics.

Value often isn't about what it is worth, but what it costs.

Angel Russell
Angel Russell

pixar
creative
All they are doing is sequels and prequels

Chase Wilson
Chase Wilson

i must save for a few years first though.
otherwise i gonna get killed by my family for being autistic for spending money just for chinese cartoon

Oliver Hernandez
Oliver Hernandez

The whole "anime" is just Jakuza money laundering thing (from branches that actually bring money: gambling, idols and pop/rock produced music)

Cameron Miller
Cameron Miller

Find a better family.

Christian Gutierrez
Christian Gutierrez

niche market has to pay 10x the price as plebs do
Feels good to be a normalfag. I wonder if hiroyuki is gonna shitpost in the GOT threads this week too.

Eli James
Eli James

Dam this guy is such a retard

Jeremiah Wood
Jeremiah Wood

Just wait until Trump gets elected then he'll fix the economy and create fair trade instead of this farse called "free" trade. Then those expensive anime BD and dvds will come priced fairly.

Dominic Green
Dominic Green

It saddens me that there were actual people who believe this.

Nathan Wright
Nathan Wright

Its japan you are talking about - country almost as retarded and backwards as US of A. In japan you PAY for timeslot to get your shit aired.

That said, its true that BD market is length not the main source of revenue for anime. Merchandize, streaming rights (China!), music, events etc are primary source, and over lengthy period of time anime covers its cost in BD reprints/Box set sales (which dont cost like OP image btw, Box set of anime years after release is quite affordable), and indeed TV rights, since sometimes show rights are bought after airing, including overseas.

Ryder Perez
Ryder Perez

but that's wrong. they have way more originals than sequels.

Christopher Barnes
Christopher Barnes

Not the point? Yes, it's not the point. But what I pointed out IS A MAJOR FACTOR WHY LOTR BOX SET IS FUCKING CHEAPER. That's too much of a major factor to ignore you fucktwat.

Owen Richardson
Owen Richardson

blame /pol/

Charles Jenkins
Charles Jenkins

attempting to but __monogatari bullshit
There's your problem. A series specifically created to pander to moeshit otaku and their otakubux.

Charles Foster
Charles Foster

looks up upcoming films
Finding Dory
Cars 3
Toy Story 4
The Incredibles 2
Coco (The only original IP)

Samuel Garcia
Samuel Garcia

Lurk forever before posting again.

Caleb Richardson
Caleb Richardson

buying part of a season

Ayden Jenkins
Ayden Jenkins

Trump gets elected
Not gonna happen even though you're memeing. Clinton has the correct gender, just like Obama had the correct skin color. The next president after Clinton wil be a hispanic tranny in a wheelchair.

Brayden King
Brayden King

You don't have to have it. If you can't afford the hobby, then don't get into it.

Josiah Jackson
Josiah Jackson

Something that is more "mainstream"
Stop right there let me correct you

Something that is a literary masterpiece that changed the fantasy Genre forever adapted to movie form of 3 amazing trilogy's will sell better and thus can be cheaper since they will sell more and the sheer volume of people buying will make up for the lower price.

John Howard
John Howard

where did they spend all that monotagari budged? whores?

Jose Clark
Jose Clark

Lord of the rings made up 90+% of its revenue in the box office, not from selling dvd's.
Anime doesn't have that luxury.
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Ryder Gutierrez
Ryder Gutierrez

Actually after clinton there's going to be a shitfest.
The discomfort that turned trump's campaign into a runaway success (at least until he bumped into Clinton) turns to anger as Clinton just smiles and lies her way through 4 years, keeping the very status quo that trump and bernie supporters rallied against.
2020 is going to be clown college, everyone going "Look I can be anti establishment too!".

Expect hitler.

Hudson Roberts
Hudson Roberts

Yo guys here's your (you). you deserve it.

Jack Sullivan
Jack Sullivan

Wow. know doesn't that remind you of something.

James Perez
James Perez

This thread is retarded.

However, anime IS too niche nowadays. You could get a larger base by using the same plots and waifu-ism, just leaving behind the meta-jokes and some of the more extreme pandering.

Mason Evans
Mason Evans

I'm surprised at how surprised people are when they see this. It's just basic economics.

Movies like Lord of the Rings have moderate supply and demand so they work normally like in pic related.

The demand of anime, on the other hand, is like a vertical line because otaku will pay almost any price for a certain quantity, thus studios have the luxury of setting almost any price on their products, as long as otaku are buying it. (There is a limit to this: otaku need food too, although I've heard of stories of some otaku starving themselves to afford the things that they want.)

It's not complicated. You just don't like anime as much as its target audience does.

Nathaniel Bell
Nathaniel Bell

Clinton isn't getting elected. There is plenty of ammo on her and dem voters have gone down while rep voters have gone up by 60%.

Guess you're not getting Mexico 2.0. pedro.

Parker Watson
Parker Watson

clinton isn't getting elected
It's sweet that you believe that the jews will let trump anywhere near the whitehouse

Just show some 'trump hates niggers' stuff on twitter and the nigs will all come out to vote

Austin Sanders
Austin Sanders

sometimes if you lower the price you can get much more money
nips are just bad at economy. that's all.

Samuel Jackson
Samuel Jackson

You don't seem to understand this election. Clinton could be in prison and still win.
Infact, no-one could vote for her at all and she'd still somehow become president

Zachary Ward
Zachary Ward

Video-games in the West is a different market. It's full of penny-pinchers who will only pay a limited amount for as much as they can.

Anime-fans are just really loose with their money.

Jose Long
Jose Long

I thought Dredd was pretty niche.

Sebastian Foster
Sebastian Foster

looks like an user doesn't get how the economy works... lord of the rings was released a decade ago, it still wants to be sold and the monogatari series is kinda new so
also you can buy product in stores which can also be sold at a different price depending on the store you bought it from
also u suck
anime is most commonly defended in Sup Forums, don't expect a lot of defense on your side faggot

Austin Johnson
Austin Johnson

Witcher is nowhere near as bad, faggot.

Andrew Butler
Andrew Butler

I'm pretty sure that there are other books where main characters die and GRRM can't read polish. Good books though.

Luke Watson
Luke Watson

History plagiarism sells

Cooper Diaz
Cooper Diaz

Never said it was bad
and GRRM practically copied Tolkein and Andrzej's stories and made one of the edgiest pieces of literature ive ever read. Hes such an uninspired hack i bet he even copied some literary elements from Berserk.

Why do people like game of thrones?

Jaxson James
Jaxson James

Thanks for reminding me to reread this.

Blake Green
Blake Green

What is price elasticity
what are economies of scale
Left sells 80k copies at most, right sells literally millions.

Andrew Stewart
Andrew Stewart

LURK MORE

Isaiah Ramirez
Isaiah Ramirez

Theaters take huge cuts on ticket sales

Jackson Gonzalez
Jackson Gonzalez

Using supply and demand to describe a market with no supply constraints is pretty cute Mr. baby economist.

Technically it is closer to a monopoly good, sure there are different anime but one single company controls the price of the product they produce. There are no substitutions when it comes to anime.

Imagine if there were substitutions tho, you don't want to pay for bakamonogatari why not buy a cheaper anime like naruto. Hey, its all anime right?

Liam White
Liam White

Do they really say how much it made in theatres, not how much the studio earned? For what purpose.

Isaiah Perry
Isaiah Perry

Buying anime is such a ripoff, there's no reason why a BD should only have 3 episodes on it when there's 50GB of space on one

Christian Jackson
Christian Jackson

Income is reported in ticket sale numbers and money made from the tickets, theaters will take 40-50% of that money (depending on what deal they have with the studios/distributors)

Bentley Anderson
Bentley Anderson

being so new you don't know what happened when they lowered the prices

lurk more retard

Ethan Long
Ethan Long

All these responses to a post of which the premise is wrong.

The monogatari series isn't 56USD for 1 DVD, not even close.

If OP had put that statement in the post, you all would have called him out on the bullshit, but oh hold on, it is in a macro image SO IT MUST BE FACTUAL.

Sup Forums is so much cancer during summer, I don't even know why I come here, might as well migrate to 4+4ch.

Juan Hall
Juan Hall

There is a reason. It's so they can fill it with extra stuff and also spread the release of the product so that the customer doesn't have to spend too much money all at once.

They've got this figured out.

Logan Campbell
Logan Campbell

40-50%
HAHAHAHAHHHAAAAAAHHAHAHAAAHAHAA

You seriously believe that?

Lincoln Barnes
Lincoln Barnes

might as well migrate to 4+4ch
Yes, go do that. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Dominic Price
Dominic Price

He's right though.

187 post thread filled with idiots arguing over OP's statement without realizing that there is no 60$ 3 episode monogatari DVD out there.

William Lopez
William Lopez

I wanted to try it but the impression I keep getting from discussions is that everyone is a murdering dick. There's nothing epic about murder and melodrama.

Jose Nguyen
Jose Nguyen

It's pretty ridiculous and I barely watch anime anymore as a result of how commercialized and just oriented towards whale fanatics with practically no taste or imagination it's gotten and yes people will defend it just to be contrarian towards you but it's a fair indictment

Matthew Garcia
Matthew Garcia

It's so they can fill it with extra stuff

But most of the time they don't

Caleb James
Caleb James

But that requires things like effort and real marketing strategy instead of just going after the same 30K or so pool of idiots every time with the same appeals that guarantee those magic break even 4K average disc sale numbers

Jaxon Taylor
Jaxon Taylor

And then of course you have the idiots that post in stalker threads claiming x anime is BTFOing the ever loving fuck out of another one cause it's projected to sell a few hundred units more like it's a major accomplishment. Anime and it's fanbase is too sad lately.

Luke Hernandez
Luke Hernandez

There is no 56 dollar DVD of mono.

People arguing against OP aren't contrarian, people agreeing with him are though.

Here go check yourself you gullible fool.

http://www.amazon.com/Bakemonogatari-Collection-DVD/dp/B00MCKN8C8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1462721621&sr=8-6&keywords=bakemonogatari

Evan Ward
Evan Ward

This just in: Sup Forums is full of retards. Film at 11.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page