What the fuck its just the same episode a million times

Brayden Campbell
Brayden Campbell

what the fuck its just the same episode a million times

why did Sup Forums tell me it was good

All urls found in this thread:
http://www.japanator.com/yamakan-didn-t-like-endless-eight-either-offers-apology-10607.phtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BimJCyFqswA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3FRcBM1wcw
Hudson Price
Hudson Price

Because it's a really good episode worth watching a million times.

William Collins
William Collins

I want to believe there is a new generation of autists that will sit through Endless 8 like we did.

Easton Cooper
Easton Cooper

I marathoned it in a single sitting

Julian Walker
Julian Walker

Why do people do this? You knew it couldn't possibly be worth it.

Justin Green
Justin Green

This post brought to you by the anti-art movement

Michael Cook
Michael Cook

Pleb detected

Cameron Collins
Cameron Collins

Sup Forums doesn't know the difference between intellectually stimulating, thematically deep anime, and pretentious wankery. You were tricked into watching the latter. Sorry to hear that.

I didn't mind Haruhi but holy hell that endless eight arc was the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen. So glad I didn't see it while it was airing and was able to skip past most of those episodes.

Nicholas Martinez
Nicholas Martinez

Because every week we had hope it would end, by the first month half of the fan base died. Every week after that the numbers exponentially grew, there was no catharsis, there was jubilation across all the boards, but the damage was done.

Hudson Morgan
Hudson Morgan

Shitty b8. Endless 8 isn't thematically deep, but it's the best commentary on anime itself out there. It's painful, and as someone who watched the whole thing despite knowing it was going to be the same it's not worth it for entertainment value, but it's certainly something that had to be said and if you didn't watch it you can't really appreciate Haruhi.

Leo Robinson
Leo Robinson

if i were to start haruhi now, how much of the endless eight would i actually have to watch?

Ian Parker
Ian Parker

ITT: plebians
I watched the whole thing in one thing, I got out with a headache but I regret nothing. It made me experience an infinitely small part of what Nagato endured and just for that, it's worth watching.

Aiden Smith
Aiden Smith

Endless 8 isn't thematically deep, but it's the best commentary on anime itself out there.
Elaborate.

The point of E8 was to force the viewer to experience the same tedium that Yuki Nagato was forced to experience when trapped in some ~15000 repititions of similar events. That's all it was.

How is that a commentary on anime itself? Or are you someone who watches so much bland repetitive crap that you think it's indicative of the quality of the medium as a whole?

Chase Sanders
Chase Sanders

if i were to start haruhi now, how much of the endless eight would i actually have to watch?
My advice is to watch it until you're bored to tears, then skip ahead to the 8th episode. Alternately, watch the first one, pick a random one or two from the middle six to watch, then skip ahead to the last one.

Levi Young
Levi Young

Endless 8 was a mistake

Ryan Perez
Ryan Perez

you should've just watched the chronological order until episode 6, you get a perfectly entertaining anime with no filler and a happy ending

Nathan Perez
Nathan Perez

taking Sup Forums advice on anything
It was your own damn fault OP.
He obviously didn't know about the different viewing orders.

William Jackson
William Jackson

It's not the same episode over and over. There are slight differences.

Wyatt Davis
Wyatt Davis

Endless 8 has great art direction so I don't really see a problem with it, it's like rewatching a really good thing 8 times but each time there is something slightly different.

Andrew Gutierrez
Andrew Gutierrez

The movie was worth it.

Luis Robinson
Luis Robinson

Someone explain what this Endless 8 bullshit is and why people are mad. Only watched the first episode and couldn't be bothered after that. I just like to know these things.

Brayden Hall
Brayden Hall

Only watched the first episode
fuck off and watch more then if you want to know why you retard.

Alexander Lopez
Alexander Lopez

t. (You)

Xavier Bailey
Xavier Bailey

I didn't realize there were smart people on Sup Forums.

Nathan Miller
Nathan Miller

Endless 8 has great art direction so I don't really see a problem with it
That's because you're stupid.

Parker Taylor
Parker Taylor

not enjoying endless 8
not enjoying spotting all the differences between each episode

If you didn't like it you were probably underage when it aired.

Jace Howard
Jace Howard

/thread

Seriously, what kind of idiot trusts Sup Forums for a recommendation?

Evan Nelson
Evan Nelson

I remember watching this thinking there was some secret well-hidden scene that explains what Haruhi was and how she could do the things she unknowingly did. Then I found out the truth. The whole "this was to show you what Yuki was feeling" thing. Such bullshit. I could've done it in two, three episodes tops. Then devoted the rest to fucking fleshing out the story. Maybe introduce Hurahi's parents! Or having Kyon meet the Data Entity whatever Yuki answers to.

No matter how long I live, I will never understand why they did what they did. I thought drugs were hard to get in Japan.

Ryan Martinez
Ryan Martinez

Endless eight was like having shit in the mouth. You can convince yourself that it's good since the subtleties of the shit make it an interesting experience but you still need to realise what is going on.

Tyler Jenkins
Tyler Jenkins

guys so why whats the best way to experience 2006 haruhi for a first timer? broadcast or chronological? can you please elaborate?

Isaac Wood
Isaac Wood

I watched Endless 8 solitarily because anime forums looked shit and as far as I knew, Sup Forums was a website full of psychos that dox people.

It's garbage and the very definition of pretentious. Sure fire way to spot a mindless idiot that just likes anything Kyoani makes; ask them if they thought Endless 8 was good.

Noah White
Noah White

Posting the LN that got the repetition plot right. Far better than Endless 8.

Caleb White
Caleb White

The idea of making endless eight into 8 actual episodes may be pretty awful. But I must admit the execution was flawless.
Each episode was made from scratch, so they almost don't feel the same.

Still, when it aired waiting for weeks for it to end must have been terrible.

broadcast.

Kayden Flores
Kayden Flores

whats the best way to experience 2006 haruhi for a first timer? broadcast or chronological?
Broadcast. You can go for chronological order when re-watching for a different experience, but watch it in broadcast order the first time. The first episode is actually a really clever introduction to the series and possibly the most forgiveable instance of anachronism you're going to experience with Haruhi.

Nicholas James
Nicholas James

Fuck off.

Josiah Torres
Josiah Torres

Maybe introduce Hurahi's parents! Or having Kyon meet the Data Entity whatever Yuki answers to.

i hope you never write anything

Ethan Garcia
Ethan Garcia

How many times have you guys seen endless eight? Three whole times here, it's grown on me a lot over time.

Mason Thompson
Mason Thompson

Same. Liked it too. Masterpiece. (not sure if willing to do it again though)

Zachary Sanchez
Zachary Sanchez

The anime was ok until that point, once the time loop bullshit started I switched to the dub and multitasked the rest of it.
5/10

Levi Thomas
Levi Thomas

This. People telling "its same stuff repeated 8 times" either did not watch it, fast forwarded or ADHD idiots.

Though i say you have to marathon it, and not watch as when it aired.

Jose Cook
Jose Cook

The anime was ok until that point, once the time loop bullshit started I switched to the dub and multitasked the rest of it.

Lucas Johnson
Lucas Johnson

there aren't

Landon Johnson
Landon Johnson

I'm a dumb faggot, so everyone else must be too

Jeremiah Martinez
Jeremiah Martinez

So, is the second season of Haruhi any good? I never bothered to watch it or the movie. I think I watched season 1 in chronological order. Should I rewatch the whole thing?

Josiah Howard
Josiah Howard

Lain? Fuck. That anime pissed me off, I didn't get it until 2 years after watching it. Basically if you didn't memorise the fucking letter in episode 1, you won't understand the rest of the series maybe I should give it another go, but there's a part of me that just thinks it was shit. Thoughts?

Henry Bennett
Henry Bennett

Endless 8 is wonderful because of how fucking ballsy it was. Imagine going to the studio board and telling them that you're going to air the same episode 8 times over. The fact that it happened at all justifies it.

Second season is good, Endless 8 nonwithstanding, and the movie is wonderful.

Adam Miller
Adam Miller

maybe I should give it another go, but there's a part of me that just thinks it was shit. Thoughts?
There's always this uneasy feeling which comes with watching any series in the 'mystery' genre, and that's the uncertainty of whether there's a meaning behind it all or if it's just a load of pretentious nonsense. I can confirm that there's a genuine solution behind everything you see in Serial Experiments Lain (except maybe the KIDS episode - still not 100% on that part), and most importantly that the clues which will lead you to fully understand the nature of not just Lain but also her sister are all right there in the episodes.

It's definitely the kind of series which you'll love more and more every time you re-watch it, so I can highly recommend that you do. I would have rated SEL about 6/10 after I first saw it, and since then it has become my single favourite anime series of all time. Pay close attention to the cafe scenes in episode 5 and pretty much everything in episode 9 if you want to understand what's going on. Those two episodes are the most crucial ones imho.

Jack Stewart
Jack Stewart

Chronological. Starting the series with Mikuru episode is the dumbest shit.

Christopher Fisher
Christopher Fisher

If you like to pretend that only 13 episodes exist (ie. missing half of the episodes and a whole fucking movie) and prefer having artificial confusion over the way it was written in the original LNs, missing all the character development, then feel free to watch the 2006 broadcast.

Ryan Martinez
Ryan Martinez

No. Having the climax happen halfway through, and then watching filler for the rest of the season is dumbest shit.

Are you retarded? There are 28 episodes + movie regardless of watching order.

Nathan Turner
Nathan Turner

if you find this annoying, just think in how yukki has feel about repeat the same for over 15000 times, that's empathy

Carter Martin
Carter Martin

mfw watched the first six in one day

Angel Butler
Angel Butler

It's good and there's the 10/10 movie right after

Benjamin Myers
Benjamin Myers

Glad you're willing to admit it.

Kevin Baker
Kevin Baker

I wish I could go back in time, get my memory erased and watch Haruhi S2 when it was airing again.

Ethan Garcia
Ethan Garcia

it's avant garde

you wouldn't understand until you watched Disappearance

Daniel Nelson
Daniel Nelson

Some things never change.

Asher Davis
Asher Davis

I got my fucking dad to watch Higurashi. The only thing that bothered him during the entire run of the show was that Kai wasn't dubbed.

Fucking beat that.

Adrian Perez
Adrian Perez

It's like saying you can start Lord of the Rings with
Two Towers or Return of the King

Brody Watson
Brody Watson

Does that series still stay good?
I've read the first 2 and 1 was great but 2 was kinda meh

Dominic Sanchez
Dominic Sanchez

Sup Forums was better when it wasn't infested with utter losers who want to kill themselves

back then only /jp/ wanted to die

Luis Phillips
Luis Phillips

Higurashi wasn't bad for me aside from the fingernail scene.
You know the one.
mfw

Carson Bennett
Carson Bennett

The point of E8 was to force the viewer to experience the same tedium that Yuki Nagato was forced to experience
This is the exact reason that the series (including E8) is great. Haruhi is some kind of god who is constantly subtly altering her own universe in ways which may or may not be apparent. The series intimates over and over that it's impossible to know what's a static reality and what's a Haruhi creation. Her powers are limitless but ambiguous.

The greatness of the series is that it forces the viewer into the reality of the show. The show treats you as if you were one of the characters in the show. It attempts to blur the line between passive viewer and active participant. E8 makes you experience feelings of frustration and hatred toward Haruhi because of what she's putting you through, subjecting you to, making you sit through all this shit. You're stuck and frustrated just like Kyon is, you just want it to end.

Then you watch disappearance, and Kyon is forced to ask himself the question, why did he stick around? Why did he keep showing up? Was she putting him through all of this? Or was he inviting it upon himself by continuing to go to the club room every afternoon? Why did he do it? Why did we, the audience, keep watching even while Haruhi put us through hell? Isn't our answer the same as the one he came up with?

Even if you don't like the style or tone of Haruhi, or you think E8 was like pulling teeth, you should recognize the artistic goal involved. I would argue that E8 was a bold creative decision, not just because it was a shocking thing to air on television, but because it so effectively services the mechanism of the show, that blurring of the lines, and how effectively that mechanism illustrates the subject matter.

Liam Roberts
Liam Roberts

Watching the Mikuru episode first is essential even if you otherwise watch chronologically. It was made to be the very first episode of the series, watching it chronologically doesn't work. It was never designed to be seen that way.

Jacob Robinson
Jacob Robinson

The Mikuru episode is fucking genius when you get that it was more or less the actual plot of the anime hidden behind two layers of mahou shojo fightan'

Brayden Morgan
Brayden Morgan

The problem with broadcast order is that Someday in The Rain is no longer after E8, and is no longer the final episode. It's critical role in setting up the movie makes it super important that it's the last episode.

Joseph Morris
Joseph Morris

that scene in the VN
save me

Jack Price
Jack Price

Lookin back it was hilarious to watch it every week with Sup Forums. If you watch the show now and still watch every Episode of it you are just autistic.

Connor Jackson
Connor Jackson

anything I don't like is autistic!
Well memed, good sir.

Aaron Watson
Aaron Watson

I don't care much about the symbolical meaning of that or whatever pretentious people say (outside of the "feel what Yuki felt" thing which is kinda clever), but the direction was great and the timeloop feeling was really well done

Isaiah Brown
Isaiah Brown

This. They obviously did their best to keep things bearable by getting creative with the direction. They're actually really beautifully crafted episodes. It's certainly not like this was the easy road for Kyoani to take. They worked damn hard on Endless Eight.

Samuel Rivera
Samuel Rivera

So what did it best? I'd say probably Higurashi with all the TIPS

someone should add Maria to this aswell

Justin James
Justin James

am i dumb because i just realized it's called endless eight because an 8 is just like a flipped over infinity symbol ∞ ? so it's endless, and infinity. do you think that's why they chose to do eight episodes? just for that shitty nip pun?

Alexander Rogers
Alexander Rogers

Well, Tatami's looping was probably the most interesting to me. It beats out Haruhi by having a totally different story for each ep, and Madoka was just not that great in general.

Benjamin Murphy
Benjamin Murphy

critical role in setting up the movie
Could you elaborate? I fail to see how it's relevant to the movie at all.

Thomas Butler
Thomas Butler

I think they did eight episodes because it's called "endless eight" in the book dumbass

Cameron Ramirez
Cameron Ramirez

i loved it, have you had a day in your life that you wanted to repeat forever, it brought me this nostalgia place, i didn't how to explain it.

Ryder Allen
Ryder Allen

Someday in the Rain is a lighter version of Disappearance. Kyon goes through an apparently tedious task (fetching the heater for Haruhi) but he's still willing to do it and is rewarded by Haruhi's kindness at the end. Haruhi does her thing with the club members, doesn't create any kind of cataclysm or supernatural thing, showing she changed and can enjoy a boring day.
Meanwhile, Nagato is all alone, reading, and no one pays attention to her. Everyone either ignores her or asks her where X is. Everything she does is for someone/something else (like putting a book on a bookshelf and hiding Mikuru dressing up)
At the end of the episode, Kyon falls asleep before he can talk to Nagato and wakes up with two cardigans on his back. One is Haruhi's, the second is obviously Nagato's (she stood up right after he fell asleep) but he doesn't give much of a thought about it because he plays with Haruhi right after that. That's Disappearance in a nutshell.

Joshua Nguyen
Joshua Nguyen

I like the way that S;G made it clear he was doing this a lot while keeping it within meaningful terms. A lot of time loop stories go overboard with the number of loops. Saying somebody experienced the same day or whatever for ten thousand years is impressive, but completely meaningless for understanding the experience of the character. Saying that they did so for perhaps a year keeps it as a long time but also means it's measured in something that people can understand. I can imagine the same day looping constantly for a year. I can't for ten thousand.

Benjamin Bailey
Benjamin Bailey

The whole episode is tied very directly to Nagato's role in the film. Think about that final scene between Kyon and Nagato. He says something about how the AI whatever should have given her a more complete personality. That's what the long shots of Nagato in the room at that weird wide fisheyed angle are establishing. How lonely she feels in that room, even when there's so much activity going on around her. She can't effectively communicate with the others, and they have a tendency to not even notice she's there. At one point they all run off and just leave her, she's almost a piece of furniture sometimes.

Then there's the cardigans. There are two cardigans draped over Kyon at the end. The direction is a little tricky here, and it sort of misdirects you into either not thinking about it or thinking that the second is Mikuru's, but based on the one shot of Nagato's empty chair and the fact that Nagato was last shown standing up while alone in the room with Kyon, it's pretty apparent that it was Nagato's. This implies that nagato feels a certain affection for Kyon, a feeling that it had up to that point been taken for granted that she could not feel. This is a clear indication of the emotions that Kyon talks about having built up inside of her over all that time (again, the end of disappearance).

You kinda sniped me hah, but I've only got one thing to add. There's this one weird almost throwaway line in that final little back and forth between Kyon and Nagato. She says something about how if she had talked to him about this stuff, she probably would have just wiped his memory anyway. This is a really weird line by itself because it seems to have no purpose while all the other dialog is pretty tight. But I submit that this interaction actually occurred between the shot where Nagato stood up in the room alone with Kyon and the shot where he's waking up with the two cardigans.

Adam Harris
Adam Harris

I'm kinda mad they didn't tell how much Homura spent in the timeloop in the show (they said about 8 years in an interview)

Brody Robinson
Brody Robinson

Maria's quite clever in that they used lots of loops not to show anything about the characters but to put subliminal messages in the characters' heads
i.e. you hear the same idea every day for ten thousand days and eventually you're convinced that it's a great idea

Blake Walker
Blake Walker

It's also because august is the eight month of the year. In Japan, months are named after their numbers so it's literally "endless august".

Henry Parker
Henry Parker

The wiping memory stuff could also mean she was so fucked up that she would either refuse his help at this point or really wanted to experience her own perfect reality after suffering so much.

But yeah it'd be pretty interesting the way you put it, especially considering that she says "it might already have happened"

Jack Bailey
Jack Bailey

I forgot to mention that Someday in The Rain is my favorite episode. The first time I watched it I had no fucking clue what the point was (the average experience, I think), and I still didn't get it after watching the movie, I had just forgotten about it. It wasn't until my second viewing of the series when I got around to Someday again that it finally all clicked.

It's one of my favorite episode of anime of all time. It perfectly illustrates her character in a way that is totally unique to her. Her whole character is that she doesn't have any outward portrayal of character, so her experience is illustrated entirely via direction. Add to that the fact that what's going on is so subtle and nuanced that the average viewer entirely misses what's right in front of them until they've seen the movie, the fact that the episode exists almost entirely in service of the movie, the fact that it's the finale of the chronological series, and all of the genius little pieces of direction in every little goddam shot... Thinking about it now, it may actually be my favorite anime episode of all time. I'm just a sucker for strong direction I guess, and Someday is a treatise in direction.

Luke Cox
Luke Cox

Tanigawa wrote that specially for the anime because it wouldn't work in a book format but he clearly had Disappearance in mind when he did it

Carson Mitchell
Carson Mitchell

Endless 8 was written as a take down of Summer Episodes, and it did that very, very well. As part of the anime audience you are subjected to endless repeats of beach episodes, festival episodes and setting off fireworks. E8 drags your face into the screen the tells you that despite the fact the girls are different, you're watching the same thing over and over again.

And on top of that as
Said, it's not just preaching, it makes complete sense within the storyline itself. You're supposed to fell for Yuki and wonder why Kyon, like the audience and any other anime MC puts up with the stuff that's thrown with them instead of just pulling the plug.

Jaxson Diaz
Jaxson Diaz

The point of E8 was to force the viewer to experience the same tedium that Yuki Nagato was forced to experience when trapped in some~15000 repititions of similar events. That's all it was.

And all it ever will be in total.

Yeah it tried to prove a certain point of how tedious it was in Nagato's point of view but covering 3/4 of the episodes in the whole season? Now that is NOT ever fucking worth it. The animosity it received from the watchers were well-deserved

Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown

Dropped haruhi after the 3rd time they looped.
Insulting, really.

Eli Campbell
Eli Campbell

Endless 8 was written as a take down of Summer Episodes
Unless they've actually said that somewhere I think this is just you projecting.

Daniel Carter
Daniel Carter

reading =/= projecting

Ethan Johnson
Ethan Johnson

Which makes it all the more crazy that it's in the first season. Almost as crazy as starting S1 with Adventures but putting Sigh at the end of S2.

James Cook
James Cook

Where have they said it then?

Elijah Thompson
Elijah Thompson

This is actually autism.

Lincoln Miller
Lincoln Miller

Yeah, Kyoani really showed their balls when they adapted Haruhi. Fuck I want S3 so bad.

Ryder Sanders
Ryder Sanders

I watched three episodes and then I got mad.

Gabriel Adams
Gabriel Adams

http://www.japanator.com/yamakan-didn-t-like-endless-eight-either-offers-apology-10607.phtml
its so deep even the director thought it sucked

Jonathan Williams
Jonathan Williams

It's pretty apparent. The LNs were always a self-aware parody of tropes in Japanese young adult fiction. That's why Haruhi composes the SOS Brigade of those tropes, and explicitly states that she's doing so. Usually in a summer episode you get a cliche. It's a swimsuit episode, or it's a festival episode, or it's a part-time job episode, or it's a bug-catching / walking around in the outdoors episode. In E8 you get all of those in rapid-fire. They literally have a list of summer cliches they need to work through. Over and over again, forever. It's parody.

Kayden Perry
Kayden Perry

It's written into the episodes. Where did the creators of Lain outline exactly what you're supposed to feel about the anime?
And why does it matter

Too bad they sucked those balls back into their body with everything post Chuuni. I enjoyed shows like Amagi, Phantom World and especially Hibike, but just because they were good shows. They lacked the boldness that Kyoani had back then. It's sad to say the most daring anime of the season is Kiznaiver because it isn't as insane as Trigger's other works.

Jace Moore
Jace Moore

just more 'slice' and less 'life'

Jonathan Martinez
Jonathan Martinez

8 is a lot, 3 or 4 would have been better t.bh

Agreed, and it's not only a parody but also a way to show Haruhi has changed a lot after Melancholy

Jaxson Jones
Jaxson Jones

It's pretty apparent
So it's just your projection.

Wyatt Price
Wyatt Price

didn't even read the post

Levi Hughes
Levi Hughes

Haruhi literally says "we have to do this checklist otherwise our summer is fucked"

Jonathan Foster
Jonathan Foster

I did.

Ok.

Isaiah Myers
Isaiah Myers

They probably used that two months of down time to work on the movie to be honest.

That movie was pretty great, pretty much universally liked on Sup Forums

Grayson Cook
Grayson Cook

not being able to appreciate the subtle differences between each episode

Yeah sure, it got tiring and I probably wouldn't be that keen on sitting through it again, however, if I remember correctly, there were different animators used for pretty much each episode, would made for slightly different styles/camera angles/etc which I thought was quite cool.

William Howard
William Howard

Don't forget the musics and visual metaphors

Chase Carter
Chase Carter

They lacked the boldness that Kyoani had back then
This is certainly true, but I don't think they've gotten their hands on source material anywhere near as fertile as Haruhi since. How do you tell the story of Hibike in a way that's ostentatiously bold? I think they did it as well as it could have possibly been done, and the result is pretty great. But the story itself just isn't as bold.

The real consolation is that Kyoani has only been getting better and better at direction. It's their greatest strength, and it keeps getting stronger.

Juan Ramirez
Juan Ramirez

Huh, why nobody complain to that trollface poster?

Sup Forums is sure different back then, huh?

Andrew Rivera
Andrew Rivera

completely different designs throughout
completely different direction throughout
not one cut reused
no voice work reused
Where did this supposed down time come from?

Blake Moore
Blake Moore

I did.
Okay, so you just don't have a rebuttal. Why bother replying, then?

Jaxon Hernandez
Jaxon Hernandez

For once, I get to enjoy the Haruhi universe from Nagato's perspective, and be powerless to do anything about it.
Pretty accurate.

Samuel Morris
Samuel Morris

I did have one, and I already posted it.

Cooper Howard
Cooper Howard

How do you tell the story of Hibike in a way that's ostentatiously bold?

Hibike as a source is pretty standard LN fare. That doesn't mean they have to go with it word for word like they did. Look at broadcast Haruhi's chronology, they were capable on independent thought. Something on the line of Ping Pong would've been amazing, but as you said, Kyoani's the director's studio, they make very pretty moving pictures with good soundtracks and fun characters.
On the other hand the photo-edited backgrounds that made Hibike look good was too lazy for my taste.

We'll have to wait for their stand alone movie to see how far they've really come.

Anthony White
Anthony White

Trollface used to be our meme, user.

Isaiah Lopez
Isaiah Lopez

E8 makes you experience feelings of frustration and hatred toward Haruhi because of what she's putting you through, subjecting you to, making you sit through all this shit. You're stuck and frustrated just like Kyon is, you just want it to end.
just like Kyon is
Except that Kyon doesn't even realise he's in a time loop; it's Nagato's frustration that the viewer is sharing, not Kyon's. You were so eager to defend it that you missed the point entirely with that response.

Even if you don't like the style or tone of Haruhi, or you think E8 was like pulling teeth, you should recognize the artistic goal involved.
I do recognise the artistic goal of it, and I love it when a studio goes ahead and does something so bold, but that doesn't change the fact that E8 is simply not worth watching in full, and that it fails to add anything substantial to the series - especially when the relentless anachronism already present in both seasons adequately gives you that sense of Kyon finding himself caught up in the maelstrom of insanity that is Haruhi's ever-changing whims.

Noah Phillips
Noah Phillips

What's the best release these days? I just checked my HDD and I'm still rocking some old potato 480p rips.

James Cook
James Cook

Kyon still gets frustrated because of the deja-vu and the feeling he's going to be trapped, so this works. Haruhi S2 has a lot of Haruhi at her worst, whether it's because she has problems (Sighs) or because she accidentally causes them (E8), so it makes a fine building for the beginning of the movie when Kyon thinks he should stay in the world without her. When Kyon accepts his life and says he loved it, it's a lot more powerful because of those two arcs.

James Butler
James Butler

Elysium's the best quality torrent, but they've ordered the episodes chronologically.

Carson Collins
Carson Collins

I want to believe there is a new generation of autists that will sit through Endless 8 like we did.

I only watched it a few months ago, indeed marathoned the endless eight, and loved it

Hunter Wright
Hunter Wright

welcome to the suffering bitch

Luis Lewis
Luis Lewis

Kyon still gets frustrated because of the deja-vu and the feeling he's going to be trapped, so this works
You're reaching with that point, but I'll let it go. The powerful part of E8 was in the final episode when you are made to realise how much worse Nagato has had it than the audience, but imho Kyon was already having his sanity messed with by Haruhi enough to make the movie's premise work even without the existence of the E8 arc.

so it makes a fine building for the beginning of the movie when Kyon thinks he should stay in the world without her. When Kyon accepts his life and says he loved it, it's a lot more powerful because of those two arcs.
Don't get me wrong: I think the movie did a fantastic job of capitalising on the groundwork laid out by the two seasons of the series. But that doesn't imply that the groundwork itself was ideal, only that the movie worked well at using what it had.

At the end of the day, Haruhi is like an abusive partner. If you've sat through the entire E8 arc, you've been put through a lot of suffering and you want to justify to yourself that it was meaningful. I don't believe it was meaningful, but at the same time, there's no reason for me to try to convince you of that, because succeeding in doing so will only serve to belittle you. I don't feel sadistic today.

Julian Carter
Julian Carter

You were so eager to defend it that you missed the point entirely with that response.
Why are you trying to undermine my altruistically proffered opinion with pedantry? I'm not eagerly defending anything, I'm engaging in discourse. This only has to be adversarial if you insist on it.

E8 is simply not worth watching in full, and that it fails to add anything substantial to the series
We're at an impasse, friend. I've stated my case, you've stated yours. Personally, I think that E8 engages the audience in a way that is totally unique to Haruhi, I think it gets them off of the sidelines and into the game, and the way that that is wrapped up with the subject matter is a beautiful work of art. I think that that, by itself, is very worthwhile. You (as I understand it) think that the lengths they went to were unnecessary for the goal they set out to achieve, and that E8 simply wasn't that impactful. I recognize the validity of your point of view.

Dominic Ramirez
Dominic Ramirez

is and is not, just to be clear.

Jordan Gutierrez
Jordan Gutierrez

I'm not the guy who said E8 is totally meaningful and all, it's mostly Kyoani experimentating. I think it's a good arc that makes sense in the context of the show, but it's not worth 8 episodes outside of the direction (which is great). It doesn't weight that much if we're talking about plot, but it was well-done. When people ask whether or not they should watch it, I tell them to get through at least the first, second and last because they're all different, but not to force themselves to see the whole thing, unless they like to see the differences and artistic choices made for every episode.

Christian Hughes
Christian Hughes

I'm going to say something radical here and claim that they made Endless 8 how they did purely for production reasons.

I'm assuming that some dumbass producer decided to give the second season 14 episodes same as the first and so they either had to drag out the existing material, add filler or shittily adapt the disappearance (When the 6 episodes they would have had to do it wouldn't have been enough).

They made the best of a bad situation and a shitty episode count and decided to make something that was skippable and at the same time totally watchable.

instead of ruining existing stories or butchering their own they did something radical (from a production standpoint) that could also be considered safe (from the standpoint of the legacy it would leave behind) because as long as wants bad can be completely ignored only the good would be remembered.

Aiden Nguyen
Aiden Nguyen

Funny that there is Lainposting in this thread.

Yuki Nagato is, for all intents and purposes, the same entity Iwakura Lain was. A data interface. Their nature of creation may differ, but their abilities are roughly similar.

Jayden Hughes
Jayden Hughes

the first, second and last
I don't really get this, I went through all 8 episodes in one day and didn't really feel that bored or annoyed
I'd say definitely go for all 8

Adrian Perez
Adrian Perez

We're at an impasse, friend. I've stated my case, you've stated yours.
Better than that, I've understood your case, and you understand mine. Don't conclude that I was being adversarial intentionally. Have a good one, user.

Noah Hughes
Noah Hughes

tumblruhi

Anthony Sanders
Anthony Sanders

God damn Lain was a fever dream and a half

Luke Thomas
Luke Thomas

I've read a number of times on Sup Forums that the intent was originally to use those slots to adapt Disappearance before the decision was made to spin it out into a movie, but I've never seen a source for that claim. I've also seen quotes from staff on the first season saying the notion of doing eight whole E8 episodes had been tossed around since production of the first season.

Charles Butler
Charles Butler

That's a nose shadow, not a pink nose, user

Jeremiah Peterson
Jeremiah Peterson

Yeah it's mainly about that, but that doesn't mean there's not artistic intent too. They probably didn't plan to make it 8 episode long at the beginning but the whole "made you feel like Yuki" thing was always there

Christopher Davis
Christopher Davis

So all of KyoAni really is just loony

Christian Parker
Christian Parker

So all of KyoAni really is just loony
Is there a studio that isn't?
Shaft and Trigger are obviously out

Connor Johnson
Connor Johnson

Well, you liked Tatami Galaxy, didn't you?

Samuel Reyes
Samuel Reyes

And without episode names. Dammit.

Jose Clark
Jose Clark

That's why you watch it in broadcast order.

Elijah Hernandez
Elijah Hernandez

But Lain is among the most pretentious anime tittles ever.

Mason Nguyen
Mason Nguyen

Not that user you were talking to but, I agree with you. Endless Eight was downright obnoxious.

But the first season and the movie will remain to be one of the best anime things I've seen. That, and Haibane Renmei

Tyler Price
Tyler Price

See you next thread.

Kayden Cox
Kayden Cox

Can put episode 28 in the end as some user argued.

Aiden White
Aiden White

Thank you user, I appreciate it.

Thomas Price
Thomas Price

It does get good later on, especially in the final volume.
From what I've heard, the second volume is the worst one, and it keeps getting better from there.

Jaxon Clark
Jaxon Clark

Ah, that's good.
The first one did some really unique things with the time loop formula, I'm looking forward to the rest

Samuel Ward
Samuel Ward

unironically reading LNs

Josiah Gray
Josiah Gray

Rewatched the series the other day, thought i was going to watch all 8 but after 4 or 5 i just skipped to the end.

Thomas Brooks
Thomas Brooks

"LNs are shit"
in a haruhi thread
not all LNs are sword art online

Jonathan White
Jonathan White

I love E8 and everything it stands for, but that doesn't mean I go through the whole thing with every rewatch. It's still pretty unbearable.

James King
James King

And if KyoAni had adapted SAO I'm sure it'd be watchable too.

Justin Gomez
Justin Gomez

Haruhi is good in LN form tho

Thomas Bailey
Thomas Bailey

You do realize that most anime these days are advertising the source material, right?
Or do all those series that end in cliffhangers mean nothing to you?

Jayden Hall
Jayden Hall

m8 go have a read of Otorimonogatari and tell me again that all LNs are shit
KyoAni didn't single-handedly make Haruhi great, sure it had good direction and VAs but the source material was what made it

Blake Edwards
Blake Edwards

How is any of this relevant? At least 90% of all anime is not even worth watching.

gatari
pass

Wyatt Jones
Wyatt Jones

How does it make you feel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BimJCyFqswA

Camden Lopez
Camden Lopez

Shit was memorable

Julian Evans
Julian Evans

not this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3FRcBM1wcw

Julian Johnson
Julian Johnson

The biggest problem with chronological (BD) order is that it moves all the plot-heavy episodes to the first half of the series, leaving most of the filler material (in the good sens btw) to the second half. The balance is completely off. Watching it like this makes for a terribly anticlimatic experience.

Broadcast order may be a bit confusing at first but once you're nearing the end of season 1, you'll notice how beautifully it all comes together, and how perfect the balance between the dramatic plot-forewarding and the SoL-episodes is.

And maybe the best reason: in Broadcast order you have once of the greatest episodes of anything, ever (Melancholy of Haruhi VI) as a season finale. Believe me, that works WAY better than having "Someday in the rain" as a series finale.

Benjamin Peterson
Benjamin Peterson

I agree that broadcast is better for all the reasons that you stated, but only if the first season is all you plan on watching (which it shouldnt be)

When you have both seasons together, watching only the first one, all on one go, out of order, just feels off when you hit the second season where there are obvious moments that should have been there when they were already in the first season.

S1 Broadcast > Chronological

S1+S2 Chronological > Broadcast

Ryan Powell
Ryan Powell

I only got into anime about a year ago, this was one of the first anime I watched. The first time I watched it was in story order, I watched it all in one sitting and watched all 8 in a row. Keep on believing user.

Jack Roberts
Jack Roberts

You know, people say, "If Haruhi learned she was a god, that would like be the end of the universe", but given how much damage she's already done, wouldn't telling her "your idle thoughts have real consequences" kinda help keep a lid on things? Because I mean, even with an esper, the only one who can really control someone's thoughts, is the person themself.

Jose Carter
Jose Carter

I gave up by the third episode

Nicholas Morris
Nicholas Morris

your idle thoughts have real consequences
thinks about aliens and time travellers even more
it won't work user

Joseph Ward
Joseph Ward

Based Gatoh x Takemoto

Kayden Campbell
Kayden Campbell

I know it's inefficient, but I still swear by
Broadcast + wait + Chronological + Movie

Elijah Perez
Elijah Perez

Do we really know that for sure? She thinks a lot about these things because she's bored with her life. Plus that boredom is often the cause of the problems she generates. I kinda feel she'd be more grounded if she were aware of things. Right now, she has great power, but no great responsibility, and everyone's just trying to dance around that.

Aiden Scott
Aiden Scott

It'd kinda ruin their school life wouldn't it?
I think she kinda knows about her powers on some level but tries to not think about it. After all she went through the dream and lots of things and she's smart enough to have it figured out. The later novels would go in that direction too

Alexander Mitchell
Alexander Mitchell

I've decided to start watching the show after years of putting it off thanks to the recent burst of threads. I'm not entirely sure what I'm watching but I like it.

Elijah Cook
Elijah Cook

You seem really invested, so I'll reply to you. I watched Haruhi for the first time, in broadcast order, a couple years back. It was okay, but it didn't really click with me. Since then, I really enjoyed Yuki-chan (show and manga). If I were to rewatch the series, specifically building towards the disappearance movie, what would you recommend? Season 1 chronologically, skip 2, watch movie?

Hudson Morris
Hudson Morris

skip 2
nono, don't do this, half of season 2 is essential to the plot of the film
I'd just go full chronological

Chase Sanders
Chase Sanders

Expect to enjoy season 1 for the most part, be bored to tears by season 2, and then to be pleasantly surprised by the movie.

The movie absolutely redeemed the series as a whole.

Wyatt Reyes
Wyatt Reyes

Is season 2 shuffled into season 1? Or is it a straight shot?

Ryder Mitchell
Ryder Mitchell

if you get the Elysium torrent it's seasons 1 and 2 + OVA, all put into chronological order
that's the way I watched it
although you might want to watch the OVA first, it's a bit of fun and doesn't really have anything to do with the plot but sets up the show nicely

Jaxon Parker
Jaxon Parker

What OVA?

Adrian Anderson
Adrian Anderson

It was already good, but the movie came and showed they knew what they were doing and that the series and the characters were going in a direction and not just fooling around.

It's shuffled yeah, watch S1+2 (the 28 episodes), watch all 8 episodes of Endless Eight or don't, it doesn't matter, and then the movie which is the best part

Carter Jackson
Carter Jackson

Maybe he meant episode 00

Carter Hernandez
Carter Hernandez

the episode's called The Melancholy of Mikuru Asahina I believe

yeah that's the one
I'm fairly sure that was an OVA

Zachary Barnes
Zachary Barnes

Thanks. I'm downloading it now. It's on the list once I catch up with this season's bullshit.

Jason Carter
Jason Carter

No, dude. Adventures of Asahina Mikuru was the first episode broadcasted.

Christian Rogers
Christian Rogers

Nah, first episode in S1, 25th episode chronologically.

Charles Thomas
Charles Thomas

What was the meaning of "fantasy horror" Nagato wrote in Editor in chief?
Second story about her being a part of the whole, and observing stuff is pretty straightforward.
In the third story some man stops her from returning to a place where she belongs. Is it supposed to be Kyon?

Sebastian Morales
Sebastian Morales

It doesn't lose that role just because there's a season finale in between. And to be quite honest, SitR just doesn't work as a finale.
S1 just doesn't work in chronological order. The episodes just weren't constructed to be enjoyed that way.

Jack Myers
Jack Myers

God I forgot about that, it was weird as fuck

Austin Fisher
Austin Fisher

Endless 8 really is something that can only be appreciated while airing, which obvious is horrible "design" choice. That said, watching it each week was a pretty surreal experience. You really felt like you were going insane yourself.

Also, keep in mind that each episode had new music, animation and voice acting.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still hated Endless 8 as I watched it and still hate it for what it did to the franchise. But in hindsight, it was a pretty interesting experience. It was a very unexpected, self-aware moment in anime. To claim it has no artistic merit is just disingenuous.

Brayden Gray
Brayden Gray

If you weren't a dumb faggot, you wouldn't have posted here.

Chase Ramirez
Chase Ramirez

This is generally my approach to it. It's creative and pretty bold, but it's horrible to watch.

Jordan Gonzalez
Jordan Gonzalez

It was the most effective way possible to set up for Disappearance. You truly come understand what Yuki went through and why she does what she does

Jack Morris
Jack Morris

It works but 8 is just a lot and people expect some kind of huge story arc in E8 when it's just a short story not comparable to other plot heavy arcs like Melancholy, Disappearance, Intrigues or Dissociation/Surprise. It's good, but they overdid it.

Nathaniel Bennett
Nathaniel Bennett

Personally, after the first time, it's a pretty enjoyable experience.

Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Sup Forums has its own class of posters who are the equivalent to indie/artsy movie fans. I'd argue in most case their tastes are actually objectively worse than the '4'33" is a masterpiece' type of critic since they're almost always supporting yuri/harem/BUY OUR DVDS trash that doesn't even attempt to be more meaningful beyond pandering to otaku but I can't really hate on people who support a medium they love. You just have to accept that for some people the quality of the content produced is almost always irrelevant so long as it hits a couple of key items on a checklist.

Endless 8 is hot garbage but there's way, way more trashy things you'll see some Sup Forums posters defending as 'good' or even 'great', so it shouldn't be all that confusing that it has fans. If you're convinced something is 'good' because it hits the items on the 'good' checklist but you know you didn't enjoy it, of course you'll try and pull some other meaning from it.

Or maybe they did enjoy it, who gives a shit. You're allowed to hate things other people like. Who needs an explanation for that. I can't understand how anyone can enjoy coleslaw, doesn't mean I need to make a thread about it.

Isaiah Roberts
Isaiah Roberts

There's something especially twisted about it being episodes 2-9 of one of the most anticipated season 2's ever. They must've had a good laugh over that at Kyoani.

Brayden Cooper
Brayden Cooper

it's so deep
Nobody thinks Endless 8 is "deep" you shitbag. It was just a unique experience that some people didn't completely hate.

Connor Harris
Connor Harris

Didn't watch it while it was airing? You're like a little babe

Week 1
Hell yeah, more Haruhi, I love this, they're adapting Endless 8, great, it was one of the better stories...wait, it didn't end like the LN?
Week 2
Oh, I get it, a time loop, very funny, maybe we'll get the actual ending this time...
Week 3
They're not even changing anything, what's the point? Why am I watching this?
Week 4
It's still the same episode, maybe this time, THIS TIME...
Week 5
Fuck it, I'll just see the threads on Sup Forums, what happened.
a month later
IT'S STILL NOT OVER WHAT THE FUCK

Anthony Gonzalez
Anthony Gonzalez

I gave up by the third episode of the first season.
Haruhi a shit.

Samuel Anderson
Samuel Anderson

I can't understand how anyone can enjoy coleslaw
you fucking cunt

Nolan Gomez
Nolan Gomez

Even if you don't like her you've got to admit that you'd fuck her, right?

Parker Ortiz
Parker Ortiz

Sure, if she was bound and gagged.

Jack Cox
Jack Cox

He wasn't the director of S2 you dumbass. ‘Apology’ my foot.

Luis Long
Luis Long

You're shit nignog

Andrew James
Andrew James

It was interesting, but it's kinda like "The Fountain" by Duchamp. It pokes fun at art without really being art itself, and it gets old fast.

Star Trek had a time loop episode, but each loop was only about ten minutes of an hour-long show, and each time something changed to move the plot forward just a little bit. If each episode of the Endless 8 introduced something that moved the storyline forward, it probably would have been watchable while still retaining that insane/surreal feeling.

Matthew Rivera
Matthew Rivera

Well then everything is ‘projecting’ because what we're clearly supposed to be seeing is a bunch of mindless preprogrammed robots working their way through a script.

Kayden Williams
Kayden Williams

Watch the first, second and last episodes of it. It was a copout by the writers. At least the animators did something slightly different.

Hudson Cox
Hudson Cox

What is the name of this anime? Sounds like my kind of fun.

Jason Parker
Jason Parker

maybe it's actually 8 episodes
fuck you user that's retarded
One month later
oh god let it only be 8 episodes

Good times

Parker Hughes
Parker Hughes

it's literally all over the thread

Nathan Bennett
Nathan Bennett

I can't understand how anyone can enjoy coleslaw
That's hella gay.

Julian Lee
Julian Lee

If it's made with mayo, it's instantly shit tier.

Kayden Bell
Kayden Bell

Why?

Sebastian Adams
Sebastian Adams

Because mayo is ketchup-tier shit.

Anthony Phillips
Anthony Phillips

You're just repeating yourself. Again, why?

Wyatt Watson
Wyatt Watson

Nobody on Sup Forums sat through all eight episodes.

That's utter bullshit and everyone knows it.

Wyatt Morgan
Wyatt Morgan

he hasn't tried glorious egg-free mayo
you're missing out senpai

Blake Ward
Blake Ward

I watched the series when it was broadcast and didn't know what was coming. By the eighth one I liked it and understood my earlier frustration had served a purpose.

Connor Hernandez
Connor Hernandez

I sat through it when I watched even though it aired years before

Elijah Hall
Elijah Hall

But the outfits. The kawaii outfits.

Lucas Sullivan
Lucas Sullivan

I gave up by the third episode
Pleb. I stopped 5mins into ep2 to find out what the hell was going on then skipped the rest of them.

Caleb Smith
Caleb Smith

The only true way of watching the Endless 8 is watch it once per week and don't spoil yourself about when it will happen.

People are like , but no one will ever accept the challange of watching one episode per week.

Juan White
Juan White

Will of all of you please take your stupid coleslaw argument to /ck/ before I have to start impaling people with a spork?

Lincoln Parker
Lincoln Parker

Hello internet toughguy, you know what's nice? Coleslaw prepared with garlic sauce instead of mayo.

Joseph Myers
Joseph Myers

This is Sup Forums, not /r/ColeSlaw. Learn the difference you cretin.

Jaxon Turner
Jaxon Turner

Kill yourself, retarded namefagging phoneposter.

Liam Rodriguez
Liam Rodriguez

This was my personal favourite
youtube.com/watch?v=Hn5BVcaAhPo

Benjamin Gomez
Benjamin Gomez

That cafe theme has got burned in my brain.

Tyler Rodriguez
Tyler Rodriguez

How did you guys feel about the remote island changes from the book?
I was reading them and it really stood out to me as one of the few things they changed quite a bit of. I like the cave scene a lot in the anime but them all getting drunk in the book was really entertaining.

Ian Davis
Ian Davis

but them all getting drunk in the book was really entertaining

Still disappointed that this was cut, I mean I know why they had to do it but still.

Connor Davis
Connor Davis

projecting
I watched endless 8 in one sitting. Stop being a faggot.

William Jenkins
William Jenkins

Something something about teenagers drinking on screen.

Koizumi presenting both "solutions" in the book was pretty weak. Having Haruhi to come up with one herself makes more sense. Big reveal scene was also great.

Jonathan Ross
Jonathan Ross

same, didn't liked it tho

Camden Perry
Camden Perry

you are a fucking liar

Wyatt Wilson
Wyatt Wilson

Everything that you're saying is true. S1 doesn't really work in chronological order. Someday doesn't work as a finale. Agreed. But when you take the entire body of work in chronological order, when you don't think of the series as separate from the movie, then it all hangs together perfectly. Melancholy is a nice first act climax, and Someday is an excellent transition from the series into the movie.

Chronological order ends on a weird note without the movie. But with it, it's the best order. As far as I'm concerned, the greatest value of the series in how it lays the foundation for the film. If you watch broadcast order, then S2, that's a weird shaky foundation. If you watch chronological order, it's a very strong convincing foundation for the film to build upon. The film is the most important thing. Everything else is in service of that.

Xavier Perez
Xavier Perez

But it was worth it

Austin Bell
Austin Bell

I watched the first 3 then skipped to the last one when I first watched it years ago.

Robert Murphy
Robert Murphy

Watched it 3 times fully. First two rewatches were in one week.

Eli Peterson
Eli Peterson

Watched all of Endless Eight in 1 sitting, depression is one hell of a drug.

Jayden Howard
Jayden Howard

I marathoned it over 8 days

Carter Jackson
Carter Jackson

The only way I can watch E8 now is to watch all 8 episodes all at the same time.

Dominic Ortiz
Dominic Ortiz

I have yet to watch Haruhi, or anything related to it at all.
Is it worth it? The story sounds boring, I know about the 8 repeating episodes, and all that garbage, is there still a decent story underneath, and should I watch it in broadcast/chronological order? I still don't know what's best, even with all the arguing about it

Henry Cook
Henry Cook

Holy shit I have to do this next time.

Jaxon Gutierrez
Jaxon Gutierrez

Yes it's worth it. Whether you watch all eight episodes is up to you, but I would recommend trying to get as far as possible. Be open minded about it. As for broadcast vs chronological, the only two valid options are either:

1. S1 Broadcast order, THEN S1 + S2 mixed chronological in full, then movie

OR

2. S1 + S2 chronological then movie

Anybody who tells you otherwise is an idiot.

There will be times that you hate the show, that you hate Haruhi the character, but keep in mind that that's the point. You're supposed to, we all went through that, and I'm here to tell you that it's worth it. But only if you make it to the end.

Also pay close attention. There's a ton of really important shit that is super easy to miss. Pay special attention to Someday in The Rain.

Lincoln Allen
Lincoln Allen

But you don't need to have watched SitR immediately before the film. In fact, I think spacing them apart is better. I also don't think it's healthy to prioritise the film that much; a lot of important plot happens in the series and besides I wouldn't want to detract from the enjoyment of the series just for the sake of *maybe* (again, I disagree) improving one's enjoyment of the film.

Levi Morales
Levi Morales

Haruhi is the beating heart and soul of Sup Forums. Watch.

Jace Richardson
Jace Richardson

It's worth it, don't expect it to be hard sci-fi though, it's still pretty focused on SOL (which isn't a bad thing).
Watch Broadcast Order if you want it to be more intriguing and put the puzzle pieces together, but you might not understand some developments. Watch Chronological Order if you want it to be easier to understand. Movie is 10/10.

William Long
William Long

its almost been 7 years
i watched the whole thing twice
the anniversary is coming up

Anthony Howard
Anthony Howard

Anybody who tells you otherwise is an idiot.
Your recommendation itself is idiotic. S1 doesn't work in chrono order. It makes about as much sense as recommending people who haven't watched Memento yet to watch that in chrono order. It's just bad advice.
And playing S1 + S2 mixed in chrono order is either a) completely unnecessary and perhaps a bit boring if you're marathoning or b) extremely boring in places if you aren't and you have already watched S1 the way it was intended.

Ian Garcia
Ian Garcia

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree.

First, I don't think anybody really experiences Haruhi in terms of seasons in a series anymore. I think the most natural way to watch it, and the way that just about everybody does watch it, especially these guys coming in here asking if they should watch it for the first time, is in terms of the entire body of work. The full series and the movie. And I see broadcast order as something that only works when you're watching the first season by itself. I'll admit that it's probably the best way to watch the first season if you're watching the first season without the second season or the movie, but who does that? I think it made sense to structure it and air it the way they did when they first showed the first season, but nobody actually watches the first season by itself unless they're doing it for the novelty of broadcast order.

Jace Sanchez
Jace Sanchez

S1 doesn't work in chrono order.
And playing S1 + S2 mixed in chrono order is ... completely unnecessary and perhaps a bit boring if you're marathoning
I'm trying to make sense of your post and I can't.

Justin Reed
Justin Reed

I've seen people recommend the dub before, is it actually any good? I want to rewatch the show soon and thought I might try it.

Luke Lewis
Luke Lewis

Don't worry about him, I'll watch it in broadcast order and if I manage to make it through without having to hang myself, then I'll watch "S1 + S2 mixed chronological" even though that wasn't very descriptive.

Asher Lee
Asher Lee

Relative to dubs, it's one of the absolute best.

Oliver Harris
Oliver Harris

It doesn't matter whether you think of it in terms of series or as a single thing. Watching S1 chronologically just makes it a lot less enjoyable, which is to be expected because they weren't meant to be watched that way. And watching it in broadcast order doesn't make S2 or the film less enjoyable, so there is no reason at all not to watch it in broadcast order.
So if someone hasn't seen it yet, why would you want to detract from his experience for no purpose?

Caleb Ross
Caleb Ross

The second season has episodes which are chronologically intermingled between episodes of the first season. See If you're watching broadcast order, the first episode should be Asahina's Adventure, if you're watching chronological, then the first episode should be Melancholy I. Whenever I refer to "S1 + S2" I mean the mixed chronological from the right side of that chart. You can tell which episodes are from which season by looking at the 2006 vs. 2009 for each ep.

So if you want to try broadcast order, then you want all the 2006 episodes in the order they aired (shown in the top of the left side of that chart), then the full chronological airing from the right side. If you're curious about broadcast order then give it a try, but if it ends up being too ridiculous for you, don't let that stop you from trying chronological order instead. Lots of people can't get into broadcast order, depends on your taste for mindfuck.

Alexander Morgan
Alexander Morgan

Because I do actually think that watching S1 in broadcast order makes S2 and the film less enjoyable.

Eli Rivera
Eli Rivera

Why are you saying that? You know it isn't true. Is this just Sup Forums being a dick, like how people recommended Higurashi as a SoL show?

Jeremiah Cruz
Jeremiah Cruz

more slice less life

Lincoln Miller
Lincoln Miller

Because I think that if you watch S1 in broadcast order, then S2 by itself, then S2 is just totally slapped onto the end arbitrarily. It's just dangling out there not making any sense. And I also think that overall you lose the natural progression of the series into the film. The chronological order, including the film, has an internal structure. I do think that E8 works the best in its place in chronological. I do think that Someday works best after E8 and right before the film. You appear to disagree.

Evan Barnes
Evan Barnes

I'm still at a loss at how the got away with that shit.

Christian Diaz
Christian Diaz

it's bored. but Haibane renmei is more.
Haibane story is ugly to experience

Nathaniel Stewart
Nathaniel Stewart

Kyon's dub voice is one of the best.

Isaac Cox
Isaac Cox

For those of you whom haven't figured it out yet; The Payoff at the end of Endless 8 is the best part of Endless 8.

It's all about the payoff.

Juan Bell
Juan Bell

Yoshitosshi Abe must study Sci-Fi from Haruhi.

Andrew Wood
Andrew Wood

Personally.

I wish aBe had did the character design/art for Haruhi Suzumiya.

Landon Powell
Landon Powell

ESL detected.

Xavier Brooks
Xavier Brooks

Literally japan. Why aren't you on 2ch, nihon-kun?

Brayden Allen
Brayden Allen

Because it makes the final episode even better

Jayden Allen
Jayden Allen

when you can tell how new someone is to Sup Forums when they're confused why no one is shitting on an user using a trollface from a screencap of a thread several years ago

Hudson Baker
Hudson Baker

You appear to disagree.
Not only that, but based on the fact that you so far haven't been able to come up with any coherent or meaningful argument of any substance, I think you disagree as well.
At this point I'm just wondering what motivates you to dish out bad advice to new watchers.

Jackson Jones
Jackson Jones

Broadcast order for season 1 is best for watching season 2, but no one is watching just season 1 anymore. Do you happen to remember what broadcast order was the one time the series as a whole was aired?

Hint: Chronological
They aired it that way for a reason, just like they aired season 1 the way they did for a reason.

Ryan Phillips
Ryan Phillips

Alright. I'm gonna do it once I have time. WITNESS ME.

Lucas Perez
Lucas Perez

I thought that title goes to Yotsuba.

You can't get banned for insulting Haruhi, but you can get banned for picking on Yots.

Thomas Rivera
Thomas Rivera

Someone said that in the LN version of RIS, that it's implied that Haruhi has sex with Kyon. Is there any truth to this?

Michael Hernandez
Michael Hernandez

season 2
I assume you mean season 1, but otherwise this.

Isaiah Johnson
Isaiah Johnson

Since you're avoiding the question, I'm gonna assume the answer is "yes".

Justin Jenkins
Justin Jenkins

Believes something someone said on the internet without question.
Assumes the answer is "yes" because someone wont give them a direct answer.
How about you stop being retarded?

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page