What went so wrong in her life that she's like this already?

Kevin Gutierrez
Kevin Gutierrez

What went so wrong in her life that she's like this already?

Jason Foster
Jason Foster

She was born with autism

Gavin Ross
Gavin Ross

Autism

Nathaniel Stewart
Nathaniel Stewart

PTSD

Jaxon Long
Jaxon Long

Absentee/exceedingly-busy parents, lackadaisical older sisters, precocious knowledge of her surroundings.

The Non Nons are sad because they might be the last generation of children in their village for a significant amount of time, with Renge being the last. She will continue school as her friends grow out of the village, whether by commuting to the local high school or moving to a larger city like her sister.

But she has Kaede, who won't leave her, even though she knows that she might be stuck in a dead end town, too.

Non Non is melancholy.

Jaxson Moore
Jaxson Moore

Not enough head pats, hand holding or hugs. Thankfully as a skilled onii-chan I can help this girl.

Sebastian Jenkins
Sebastian Jenkins

I hope she'll be alright.

Xavier Powell
Xavier Powell

NNB is the bitter sweet story of the last generation of children in a dying village

Why did I not realise this before?

Hudson Jenkins
Hudson Jenkins

/a/thread/141551147#p141551892

Daniel Wright
Daniel Wright

no friends her own age
no parents

Caleb Kelly
Caleb Kelly

The story of NNB is deliberately not about that, it's about how kids can figure out ways to have fun and get along because they're kids. It's really good because it has a lot of heart and it feels right.

When you observe the setting it gets sad, though. Kazuho may have been the first one out of this bunch of kids/generation, so everything she grew up with was the village and the younger children. Thus, she grows up and goes to college so she can teach the even younger kids. Being a hick doesn't bother her, nor does looking after the little ones.

Kaede is similar, though younger; she would have been one of and seen the younger kids visit her grandma at the candy shop and learned about things there. Now her grandma is gone and she has taken up the charge of running things and being nice, even if she doesn't know how that all works. As opposed to Kazuho's deliberate choice, Kaede may not realize she has any options.

Levi Mitchell
Levi Mitchell

You mean what went right, Renge is perfect.

Nolan Smith
Nolan Smith

'Nam.

Henry Brown
Henry Brown

But Hotaru is the light of hope that shines in this grim-dark scenario. Because if a girl from Tokyo can transfer to this village and enjoy its lifestyle, surely other can come after her.

She isn't called "Hotaru" (Firefly) for nothing.

Adrian Thompson
Adrian Thompson

In the grim-dark future of Asahigaoka, there are only the Sosuners and the Sosunered.

Matthew Flores
Matthew Flores

She fought in Vietnam.

Logan Campbell
Logan Campbell

She's called Hotaru because she's a brief moment of light in the twilight of the village.

Jordan Gomez
Jordan Gomez

She's called Hotaru because she's as ugly as an insect.

Julian Carter
Julian Carter

It's all fixed now!

Noah Howard
Noah Howard

delet this

Ryan Baker
Ryan Baker

Fucking hell, that series got really dark really fast

Isaiah White
Isaiah White

It's really just a matter of perspective.

Bentley Bennett
Bentley Bennett

I know, but still, that's a grim way to look at the series, innit ?

Logan Thompson
Logan Thompson

Very cute!

Joshua Watson
Joshua Watson

You're just now starting to see what it is that elevates NNB from goodness to greatness.

Watch again and pay attention to all the lonesome imagery. The multi-school classroom that's falling apart. The empty playground. The scenes with Renge wandering around playing by herself. Compare to things like Kaede idly wondering how she's going to make ends meet.

The resilient innocence of childhood in the face of adversity they don't understand is the real story of NNB.

Austin Moore
Austin Moore

I meant "multi-classroom schoolhouse." Durr

Blake Perez
Blake Perez

Kaede idly wondering how she's going to make ends meet.

user. Why are you doing this? Why did you have to point this out?

Robert Hernandez
Robert Hernandez

what happened to nee nee's eyes

Jaxson Butler
Jaxson Butler

DELETE THIS

Liam Foster
Liam Foster

holy shit, I never realized that the NNB lore was so deep. Better go rewatch it for the third time

Nathan Sullivan
Nathan Sullivan

Renge finally graduates from middle school
Sister takes her to school for her graduation ceremony
Natsumi, Komari, Hotaru, Konomi, Kaede and Hikage are all there wearing their graduation robes
They all stand and sing the school song together
Huge celebration afterwards with all the Asahigaoka alums telling Renge about how great high school is and how much fun she's going to have
It gets late and it's time for everyone to go home
Kazu-nee closes the schoolhouse doors for the last time
Renge takes another hard look at the schoolhouse and schoolyard she's leaving behind before finally heading home

Lucas Jones
Lucas Jones

You will never have a CandyStore - Renge type relationship.

Robert Morales
Robert Morales

I haven't even watched the show and this gave me a feel

Nathaniel Baker
Nathaniel Baker

All the Nyon's will have to grow up and go to the city.
They'll all have to abandon their innocent yokel life.
They'll all have to become smug shinkansen riding bitches like Hikage to survive.

How awful.

Jacob Flores
Jacob Flores

So they join Hikage in Koakuma Meringue and help her bully demons? That's fine.

Julian Wright
Julian Wright

It's time to stop watching whatever gay shit you're watching then an watch the Non Nons.

Sebastian Kelly
Sebastian Kelly

I don't like this

Julian Torres
Julian Torres

bruh

Nathaniel Long
Nathaniel Long

This wasn't what I expected when coming into this thread.

Owen Hall
Owen Hall

gott ist tot

James White
James White

being born from a hag well past her prime, she caught the downs

Levi Diaz
Levi Diaz

Don't worry you guys. The Non Nons will be happy forever as long as they're stuck in the Okinawa time loop.

Carter Peterson
Carter Peterson

My penis hasn't been inside her yet

Caleb James
Caleb James

Depression

Oliver Mitchell
Oliver Mitchell

Reminder that Akari from Aria grew up on an Earth where you couldn't swim in the ocean, you couldn't dig in the dirt, and Venice sank into the sea.
Yune and Claude both have tragic backstories.
You don't really need to be reminded of YKK's setting.
And then there are Miyazaki's films. Beyond the obvious environmental collapse settings, there's also Spirited Away being an allegory for sex slavery and the mother in Totoro with tuberculosis. Those are both confirmed, unlike the rumor that Totoro is a death god ferrying the girls to heaven.

Jaxon Peterson
Jaxon Peterson

What would be worse, the village finally dying out, or the SUNCADIA end?

Ren-chon's family sells a few square miles of forest and farmland to a developer
YUUUUGE subdivision comes in
Three golf courses
Luxury condos
bike paths
rows and rows of detached houses
New four lane highway leading into town
Thousands of retirees move in to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city
dozens of new families move in to work on the golf courses and in the restaurants
The school is renovated, there are separate classes again, and new teachers

but
None of these people have any particular connection to the land or the community

I they'd revitalize the community, and while there would be some tension as the old-timers and newcomers adapt to life alongside each other, overall it's better than having the place die out entirely.

Jeremiah Ward
Jeremiah Ward

Don't forget the systematic molestation of Renge by me

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page