Just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion

Alexander Roberts
Alexander Roberts

Just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion. Saw EoE and the Rebuilds. I hated the third Rebuild film and loved both anime endings. What did you weebs think?

All urls found in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ojh7gbuNzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR2v3E1Zwq8&ab_channel=frankinafishtankable
Gavin Gomez
Gavin Gomez

What did you weebs think?

Is this bait? Sup Forums loves everything and anything EVA related. It's considered the greatest anime of all time by all true weebs. You don't even have be in the loop to know this.

Nicholas Smith
Nicholas Smith

Pretending to like the anime ending won't make people think you're smart.

Jack Martin
Jack Martin

It's just a prank, bro.

James Carter
James Carter

you weebs
lurk for 2 years before posting retard

Jack Rivera
Jack Rivera

I never said I fully understand it. Lost a few brain cells but it was definitely over the top and one hell of an ending.

Alexander Brooks
Alexander Brooks

Am I triggering you, weeb?

Jaxson Smith
Jaxson Smith

I'll take it all + the merch thank you very much.

Austin Ramirez
Austin Ramirez

Fuck off, weeb

Landon Phillips
Landon Phillips

My stepbrother's headed to Japan and I'm fully willing to fork over money so he can buy me cool Evangelion shit.

Zachary Rodriguez
Zachary Rodriguez

You're a good guy.
No memeposting, Rei or Asuka? Both are cute.

Luke Turner
Luke Turner

Thanks mang. Rei was so cute in the Rebuild but felt really blegh in the anime. I think Asuka is cute in her own way, but I still feel really mixed.

Joseph Stewart
Joseph Stewart

Nothing wrong with that. May the FAR guide you towards choosing wisely.
Me, I'm all about the Asuka. Soryu and Shiki.

Justin Adams
Justin Adams

Misato is a qt 3.14 tho. Which Unit was your favorite?

Lincoln Moore
Lincoln Moore

Unpopular opinion, I really liked Pseudo Evolved Unit 01. The Unit 01 concept was also much better than the final version. Pic in a moment.

Oliver Brown
Oliver Brown

So badass.

Zachary Roberts
Zachary Roberts

That one looks kinda cool too. Unit 3's appearance was practically non existent but it looked badass.

Caleb Ross
Caleb Ross

Favourite Angel?

Austin Morris
Austin Morris

Just finished Neon Genesis Evangelion
Why do people feel obligated to tell Sup Forums about this?

Aiden Hernandez
Aiden Hernandez

Sachiel was always the coolest for me.

Jose Wilson
Jose Wilson

he doesn't know

Isaac Rogers
Isaac Rogers

You're no longer a good person.
You're now a refined scholar.

Xavier Butler
Xavier Butler

Just wanted to segway into a discussion that isn't about molesting anime characters or how expansive your figure collection is...

Easton Sanchez
Easton Sanchez

Thanks dude! This was fucking sick in the Rebuild too. Plague doctor mask x2.

Landon Adams
Landon Adams

ellipses
Lurk for 2 years before posting.

Cooper Bennett
Cooper Bennett

weebs

heeh... so u wanna know what i think huh?
well you see kid, eva is-
*slices you're head with a simple touch of katana*
...not for normalfags like you
*crawls back into the darkness*

Adam Bell
Adam Bell

So then, which Rebuild was your favourite?
I was big into 2, but the soundtrack to 3 was god tier

Ethan Anderson
Ethan Anderson

Shieeyt. I didn't know that made me a normie.

Isaac Gray
Isaac Gray

The second film's ending left my jaw hanging. Shit was crazy.

Joshua Turner
Joshua Turner

Right? Feels bad knowing I'll never see that again for the first time.

Adrian Barnes
Adrian Barnes

4th movie still not out

How many years behind schedule are we now?

Rebuild 1 is almost TEN years old

James Lopez
James Lopez

Whoops, wrong gif

Henry Ramirez
Henry Ramirez

No idea.
I try not to think about it, it hurts too much.

Nathan Long
Nathan Long

I'm pretty sure he just got asshurt at the poor reception to 3 and quit working on it.

Connor Anderson
Connor Anderson

I heard it was because of Godzilla.
I'm all hype for the big G, but I would rather have 3.0+1.0

Alexander Morris
Alexander Morris

I think the delay is because of Godzilla Resurgence and him working with Toho, but I could be very wrong.

Ryder Evans
Ryder Evans

You sound like a faggot.

Connor Miller
Connor Miller

Hell yeah. That whole scene with Shinji pulling Rei out and receiving the cassette player was so awesome.

Nathan Rivera
Nathan Rivera

I hated the third Rebuild film
loved both anime endings
people are actually taking this thread seriously

Michael Hughes
Michael Hughes

You sound asshurt.

Leo Wilson
Leo Wilson

Fingers crossed, 3.0+1.0 delivers something as good.

Cameron Jenkins
Cameron Jenkins

All I see is people shooting the shit and not memeposting for a change.

Jackson Myers
Jackson Myers

It was awesome but the movies were dogshit.

Michael Rogers
Michael Rogers

I really disliked them taking the future route and that really lame new character in 3.0. Fingers crossed here too.

Julian Harris
Julian Harris

You /v/tards always have the same stench.

Sebastian Williams
Sebastian Williams

I'm genuinely being serious? This is my first time posting maybe that's why it sounds so stupid. Am I wrong?

Michael Watson
Michael Watson

I am weeaboo and proud faggot.

And pride is something that YOU NEVER EVER FEEL.

Blake Perez
Blake Perez

I didn't wholly dislike 3.0, but I hold that the timeskip was poorly implemented. Not entirely bad, just badly done.

Ryan Bell
Ryan Bell

The only games I play are 3DS games. You have me figured out.

Levi Watson
Levi Watson

OP is a crossboarder and the first reply is bait

EVAfags are truly retarded retarded

Ayden Murphy
Ayden Murphy

I just wanted to talk about EVA. shitposter-kun.

Jace Young
Jace Young

Crossboarding stops stagnation, I do it regularly.
Can't you just fuck off somewhere that wants you?

Hunter Clark
Hunter Clark

complains about crossboarders
posts 3dpd

gud1 m8

Parker Jackson
Parker Jackson

going out of his way to post his opinion and thinking people care

ok

Brody Martin
Brody Martin

shitposter-kun
Okay since you are clearly new im gonna tell you something

We have like 3 of these threads a day
You're the shitposter here

Lucas Scott
Lucas Scott

We have like 3 of these threads a day
And I enjoy the near 24/7 SnK threads. Are you going to make a point, or just keep posting Sup Forums general knowledge?

Samuel Edwards
Samuel Edwards

the shitty threads that should obviously get deleted don't so it's okay for me to make more shitty OP's
You want to know what the worst part is?
Since i have been declared the designated shitposter in this thread do you think mods will do anything and ban me?

Samuel Morgan
Samuel Morgan

We're just talking about EVA, dude. Care to join us or is your ass still sore?

Brandon Adams
Brandon Adams

We both know full well that you're fine. Shitposting is a by-product if anonboards.

Robert Anderson
Robert Anderson

CUTE
Asuka's hands on the goods, she knows what's up.

Gabriel Hall
Gabriel Hall

I never understood what the theater in EoE was supposed to represent.

Nathan Johnson
Nathan Johnson

I just put it down to Anno being Anno. Though I liked it. I like weird shit in my stuff.

Christopher James
Christopher James

I think at the beginning of the anime, Shinji was at a theater too, by himself and everyone else around him was doing their own thing. I'm sure that was referencing his hedgehog dilemma.

Austin Morris
Austin Morris

If someone sat down with Anno, got him to definitively answer each and every question regarding "what does [x] mean?" and published it in a book, I would buy that book. Paperback and limited release.

Levi Davis
Levi Davis

This needs to happen.

Cooper Roberts
Cooper Roberts

Yep.
Until he re-issues statements and calls it Re-write.

Caleb Lewis
Caleb Lewis

sachiel will always be second to ramiel m8y

Alexander Cox
Alexander Cox

he re-issues statements and calls it Re-write.
Ha! That's pretty fucking witty.

Nolan Reed
Nolan Reed

>He's never going to finish making these, godspeed Angels Are Assholes OP.

Caleb Smith
Caleb Smith

It was what he expected the theater to look like at that point in the movie.

Aaron Foster
Aaron Foster

That geometric scream.

Justin Sanchez
Justin Sanchez

I have fond memories of this thread.

Nathan Parker
Nathan Parker

That sounds kind of pretentious.

Kevin Adams
Kevin Adams

Live in hope user.

Kevin Miller
Kevin Miller

So why exactly did Yui feel it was necessary for Shinji to see her get absorbed by the Eva?

Jace Johnson
Jace Johnson

Pretty adorable, when did this happen? Any more?

Aaron Reed
Aaron Reed

Last year iirc, as far as I'm aware there's a second one, but I don't have it.

Lucas Roberts
Lucas Roberts

First time poster? Welcome to Sup Forums, newfag! Be careful, you might get white supremacist on your shoe. They're knee deep around here. Like dog shit.

But let's get to actual opinions on Evangelion, just because I'm a nice guy.

Evangelion is one of the best anime of all time, and the only reason I don't say it's definitively the best is because I haven't seen every anime, so I may certainly have missed something.

The cinematography can be astounding, the attention to detail impressive, the sheer focus on things like weight, and the absurd, almost comic, level of logistics needed to make a giant fucking robot actually work is essentially unique in anime, certain outside of real robot territory. Maybe some fa/tg/uys could tell you about a tabletop game or two that take realism into greater account, but I certainly can't.

The series focuses on characters of impressive, terrifying depth and a level of pure fucked up emotion that about the only place you'll get characters more twistes is a Satoshi Kon movie, or maybe an American movie by a certain fellow ripping off Satoshi Kon, who shall remain nameless.

It's really just a great series, it was recognizably special from the first episode on, it made people shut up and take notice when it was first airing, and it became a cultural marker in Japan beyond the normal otaku levels for a reason. (Though obviously it's not, say, a Star Wars for the US where literally everybody saw the damn thing, so don't think I'm mistaking it for that level. But it's bigger than most any anime, and remains so.)

The television ending is, quite frankly, them running out of money. I've seen preproduction materials, they were planning on a version of what you see in EoE for the last two episodes, but again, no money. Thankfully we got the movie instead.

(continued)

Adrian Brown
Adrian Brown

Con't: That said, the first ending has some things going for it, and as a supplement to the real ending it has great value. I'd have been pretty fucking furious if I'd seen that finale without knowing there was a real ending coming.

And what an ending. Asuka's final battle is one of the best animated things of all time, and in general we get one of the most brutal, nihilistic, and finally vaguely potentially hopeful endings of all time.

Because here's the secret of the ending: Shinji acknowledged that living with others, being around other people was worth the pain, even if it failed. It wouldn't have been emotionally honest if, after discussing that, the series had ended with connecting to other people being anything but painful. His final interaction with Asuka had to be horrible and pathetic and disturbing, because otherwise it would have been nothing but empty platitudes.

(continued)

James Reed
James Reed

Yes! Thanks for the info. I've heard they were running out of money and I started to piece it together during some of the awkward drawn out animation less scenes.

Jordan Ross
Jordan Ross

2 for 2 so far user, don't ruin it with part 3!

Cameron Butler
Cameron Butler

Quick question, I was just super curious as to the US release of EoE? Did you go see it in theaters? Was it as big of a hit as it was in Japan?

Isaiah Martin
Isaiah Martin

It's kind of funny.

Noah Stewart
Noah Stewart

I loved the animation less scenes because then the alternate universe scene fucked me up after seeing marker drawings.
I also felt it drove home the point of fading into instrumentality.

Benjamin Clark
Benjamin Clark

As for the rebuild, it does interesting things, the second movie ends in a goddamn masterpiece of fucking with our expectations, and the third movie...

...let's talk about the third movie. The pacing is poor, it feels rushed, the script twists itself into knots to do a specific thing, and it succeeds, but at the cost of way too much to be honest.

We are set in the same mindset as Shinji.. We know the same things Shinji knows about this new world, and we are treated to revelations at the same time. There's no dramatic irony here; instead we get frustration, the same frustration Shinji feels.

And we return to uncharted territory, and it's as disorienting as the first viewing of Evangelion ever was. Only with worse pacing, and essentially a universal reset button.

If we got, say, a 13 episode series, even like a 6 episode ova showing some of the stuff inbetween, and offloaded some of the reveals to that, and not hide things so much from the audience, the story could have had better pacing.

And the finale is too much a repeat of the second film and the End of Evangelion all at once.

The movie was weak, I agree, but it had a lot of good things going for it, and if the goal was to set up a vastly new status quo and take the story in a totally new direction, I feel like this movie was a sacrifice, a necessarily weak story, for the sake of opening up a new world and a new ending.

Kind of like how Iron Man 2 kinda sucked, but also laid the groundwork for the later Avengers films. It basically sacrificed its own narrative integrity for a larger goal.

The thing is... in Evangelion's case, that sacrifice had better be worth it, the ending better blow our minds. Eva 3.0 will then become a necessary, okay transitional film in a great series.

If 3.0+1.0 is a failure, though, then the whole movie series is a goddamn wash.

Connor Lewis
Connor Lewis

These are good posts. Reasonable, shitpost and meme-free, informed and well worded.
If you're not into Asuka, I'll give you a Rei.

Luis Morris
Luis Morris

To get an impression of the situation through to Shinji's 3 year old brain? For Gendo's benefit, to make sure he made the connection between core and pilot? For her own benefit to help her go through with it? I'm not even sure she didn't expect the whole situation to have resolved differently.

William Martinez
William Martinez

Yup. Though they did interesting things with the medium. Sometimes great art comes from necessity, and boy was there a lot of necessity going on at Gainax on those days.

Did I get 3 for 3?

Oh heavens no, I didn't see it in theaters. I firts watched Evangelion back in... 2001, and bought the original dvd release as they came out. Not the VHS release that was already complete, though. Those discs had, like, four dub tracks, original Japanese, English, Spanish, and either French or German. I remember a review in Animax or another magazine greatly praising that aspect, and saying it should be the future. We all know how that turned out.

After I got those last episodes, and bought out the dvd's a friend purchased, since I only got some and not all, and he'd gotten the rest, I eagerly awaited the release of Death and Rebirth, and bought that at a Best Buy I think the moment it came on DVD. Soul Refrain was an amazing track, but otherwise the damn thing was worthless. I remember I was 15 at the time, and watched it on a small television while I was visiting my grandmother. She died less than a year later and that trip had some terrible memories of helplessness for me due to my age and inability to really help her, but that's outside the scope of this post and Sup Forums in general.

EoE came out later that year, I was 16 by that point and I remember, as I watched the very end, my mother screaming at me to do the dishes. I was rather incensed. It was kind of a dramatic moment and it got ruined by parents.

As for how big a hit Eva was, well, it's still one of the big, formative anime of my generation, much like Ghost in the Shell and Akira were for the group immediately preceding me.

Dominic Walker
Dominic Walker

Why thank you. Can I have both, maybe? Mwa ha ha...

Gabriel Gutierrez
Gabriel Gutierrez

3 for 3 straight up. Pretty impressive.

Jack Fisher
Jack Fisher

Certified Ev/a/ pilot here.

Carter Lopez
Carter Lopez

How's this one?

Gavin Lopez
Gavin Lopez

Yes, yes it does. I feel like this would be followed by kissing, and then hatefucking, and I think we can all get behind a Rei/Asuka hatefuck.

After all, Shinji's more interested in Kaworu anyway.

Although to stop joking and continue a bit, anime was weird back then. In the sense that my main source was late night anime blocks on Stars cable channels, which had great stuff like Bubblegum Crisis, and really terrible stuff like the movie Darkside Blues. Really, that film was just terrible.

Buying anime was done, for anyone too young to remember, three to four episodes at a time. There were no season packs, Evangelion alone came in 8 dvd's, each selling for $30 at Suncoast.

I not only bought those, I bought the later Platinum edition versions. Still have that set. It had some great extra materials in it, and that's also where I learned that the day of episode 5's original broadcast happened to be the same day my father died. Good times.

Honestly, I'd kill somebody for a good Blu-ray set to buy, because I'm the sort who still buys anime. Not to support the industry or some bullshit like that, but because I don't trust streaming as a long-term source, and as much as I love torrents there's an odd totemic aspect to the whole ownership of movies thing.

Once I got into a discussion about that. How many times, once you buy a dvd or vhs or blu-ray, do you actually watch it? Once? Twice? How many have you purchased that you've never watched?

So if that's the case, if you've never even watched it after purchasing and spending twenty fucking dollars, or maybe only did it once, what exactly was the value you got from it? Is it that feeling of intrinsic ownership? Is it the desire of a collector? Is it a mnemonic device, some attempt at achieving a form of physical proof that you experienced this thing?

Ryder Wilson
Ryder Wilson

Yes, yes it does. I feel like this would be followed by kissing, and then hatefucking, and I think we can all get behind a Rei/Asuka hatefuck.

You sound like someone I would get alone with really well. 3 for 3 posts and digs hatefucking. Elite tier stuff.

Hunter Garcia
Hunter Garcia

Ramiel should put on some clothes, jesus

Daniel Roberts
Daniel Roberts

Now that's what I'm talking about.

David Thompson
David Thompson

Samefag

Nolan Evans
Nolan Evans

prioritizing Godzilla

God dammit, Japan.

So did he mention anything about it's release recently?

I don't remember that scene, did I miss one of the movies or something? Sorry for the newfaggotry.

Lucas Fisher
Lucas Fisher

inb4 hue hue nice paint skills

Samuel Turner
Samuel Turner

So did he mention anything about it's release recently?
I honestly don't even know what's going on with the project. I was led to believe it was just a merch line, but then people started talking about a movie or series. I don't know what to think.

Lincoln Bell
Lincoln Bell

disliking rebuild 3

What's it feel like to be such a fucking pleb?

Aaron Ward
Aaron Ward

I know, but think about it. A Godzilla movie with an Anno sense of scale, obsession with details like people running around doing shit in control rooms, and endless lines of tanks. I think it's worth the delay.

As for your question about the whole casette, yeah, in 2.0 Shinji abandoned his SDAT player, which is revealed to be originally his father's. (Great addition, by the way. Any future remake that doesn't include that detail is wasting something valuable.)

However, Rei takes it instead, and has it in her Eva during the Zeruel/10th Angel battle. It replaces Gendo's glasses for her, showing her full transition to Shinji's side as opposed to Gendo's, and in a far more psychologically constructive manner than shattering the glasses in episode 24.

When Shinji goes all Gurren Lagann, does the impossible, and saves Rei by pulling her into Eva Unit 01, she still has the SDAT player in her hand. It was brought back into reality in 3.0 when WILLE reconstituted Shinji.

And it may or may not contain the Rei from 1.0 and 2.0's soul. Depends on what it means in the ending when Rei Q sees the damn thing. She may have picked it up and taken it. If she did, well, we may have some interesting plot shit with it.

Or it'll remain merely symbolic, which is less bullshit and more subtle writing. Also, Fuyutsuki may have stated that Rei's soul is trapped in Eva 01 along with Yui, but he and Gendo don't fucking HAVE Unit 01 so it's not like they can check.

Landon Perry
Landon Perry

I think Shiki has more raw sex appeal than Soryu
Please don't bully, I just wanted to say this at least once.

Mason Foster
Mason Foster

hating the third rebuild
Crybaby original anime fag detected. What were you expecting?

Elijah King
Elijah King

Kaworu agrees, clearly.

Dominic Price
Dominic Price

You misread it. He said Shiki, not Shinji.

Oliver Morris
Oliver Morris

All the Rebuilds suck. There is no reason to watch them over the originals. The animation in 3.0 is shit compared to EoE.

Luis King
Luis King

I can't help but feel like it did not go as planned at all, but she still got the result she wanted.

John Cook
John Cook

I've seen preproduction materials, they were planning on a version of what you see in EoE for the last two episodes
Not in the pre-production stage they weren't. The original ending is vastly different than anything we were given.

Jonathan Martin
Jonathan Martin

She has a fieriness to her that I like. It comes through better in fanart thanks to the eyepatch I think. That being said, I feel far more attached to Soryu

Logan Sullivan
Logan Sullivan

Wait, are you talking about the second movie? I remember I started watching it and it seemed to be all the episodes compressed into a movie, so I stopped watching it.

Daniel Richardson
Daniel Richardson

3.0 is trash.

Logan Garcia
Logan Garcia

Now I need to go do the lewd.

Christopher Barnes
Christopher Barnes

Oh no it is different from the original series I AM SO ANGRY FUCK YOU ANNO >:(

Parker Barnes
Parker Barnes

Have fun user.

Does anyone have the other one of these crops? It was Asuka saying "Anta wa baka" iirc

Hunter Green
Hunter Green

rating other posts
circlejerking
emotes, even if ironically
This thread must be purged

Liam Mitchell
Liam Mitchell

Fair enough. Allow me to rephrase and be more accurate, then:

I've seen animatics for episode 25 that were shown in the director's cut of episode 24 as the preview, showing part of Asuka's battle with the MP Eva series. And while that may or may not be solid evidence since the director's cut was made later, it is clear that the original plan was for something much like EoE.

Albeit, after two years of revisions, a film budget, and a significantly extended final runtime, what we got was clearly heavily expanded upon.

But you're right again, pre-production, that is before the series even aired, that wasn't the plan. Originally things were going to go very differently, including a final battle against something like a dozen Angels. There's an artifact of that original plan in episode 22 or 23 I believe, where Hyuga and Misato discuss the acceleration of the Eva series through Unit 13, and wonder aloud whether NERV is expecting multiple simultaneous Angel attacks.

Adrian White
Adrian White

Some poster practically avatarfagged with those images. Might have been some dumb shipper.

Cameron Green
Cameron Green

No, 3.0 is just a shitty, stupid movie. I don't care that it was different.

Angel Smith
Angel Smith

Evangelion is the Minecraft of Anime.

Kevin Mitchell
Kevin Mitchell

Oh no, a thread on Sup Forums where people are actually enjoying themselves unironically, are happy with each other, and have a hint of bonding towards each other over a mutual love of anime, even with differences in opinion on it's quality.

THIS MUST NOT BE!

Xavier Roberts
Xavier Roberts

Well no shit, the rebuilds only work on the expectation that you have watched the originals.
I'm not sure how far you got, but the moment the SDAT player went to track number 27 you should have know something was up.

Thomas Sanchez
Thomas Sanchez

Got your back.

Or, you could just go elsewhere? Crazy notion, I know.

I thought it was the Reiposter. The crazy one I mean, during the campaign to make all the Asukafags seem like headbins.

Michael King
Michael King

It gets it's point across rather well, you have to place yourself in the shoes of Shinji, awoken after 14 years and has no idea what is going on the whole time because everyone is scared of him or only sees him as a means to an end.

Eli Brown
Eli Brown

No fun allowed.

Caleb Sanchez
Caleb Sanchez

So, actually good, but everyone hates it because it's popular and because maymays?

Hunter Price
Hunter Price

/a
Caps abuse
I see you just started using Sup Forums recently.

Kevin Nelson
Kevin Nelson

I like fun. And I like Asukia, arcades, old games, green tea, sandwiches and this thread.
I'm having a blast.

Chase Watson
Chase Watson

Stop replying to yourself

Hunter Reyes
Hunter Reyes

But user this thread isn't anything new.

Jackson Fisher
Jackson Fisher

What? Didn't you already accuse someone else of samefagging here and get proven wrong like two posts after?

Jose Bailey
Jose Bailey

God forbid, right?

Jeremiah Harris
Jeremiah Harris

I liked it.

Jeremiah Parker
Jeremiah Parker

Yes.

Aiden Hill
Aiden Hill

You like trash.

Noah Garcia
Noah Garcia

...oh. You didn't actually finish the movie?! Well you're in for a surprise. Because yes, 1.0 is mostly a rehash of the original series with some interesting, subtle differences, but 2.0 goes steadily farther and farther off the rails.

Eva 3.0 has space pirate Asuka, airship captain Misato, and a completely new setting, time period and premise. Anno got to embrace some Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, which he worked on as an animator.

Seriously, things changed significantly, and in some interestingly subtle ways, too. While things look very similar at first, the metaphysics are significantly different, as is the backstory. As is, finally, the ultimate plot.

Evan Torres
Evan Torres

If there's no fun allowed, we should start posting Mari and trying to find filenames-kun

Angel Campbell
Angel Campbell

I have no idea what you're talking about, I guess I'll have to watch the whole thing.

I assumed they just summarized the series into one movie and released it in theaters.

Juan Turner
Juan Turner

space pirate Asuka, airship captain Misato, and a completely new setting, time period and premise. Anno got to embrace some Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind, which he worked on as an animator.
I'm glad we get to say things like this nowadays.

Christian Hall
Christian Hall

No. Just because there's no fun allowed doesn't mean we have to do that.

Josiah White
Josiah White

I disagree.
In fact, I think we should ship her with Asuka.

Levi Jenkins
Levi Jenkins

my manchild of a father is also getting hyped for Godzilla 2016
he probably doesn't even know about anno or evangelion
i can't tell him how fucking GOAT it will be because he probably is disappointed in me for watching anime and not being a typical southerner
life is truly suffering

Mason Russell
Mason Russell

I think, in fact, you should get the shit beat out of you.

Ayden Richardson
Ayden Richardson

Awwwwww someones all salty!

Chase Diaz
Chase Diaz

As I stated before, my dad died the day Eva episode 5 aired in Japan. I was a little kid, and it was long before I ever watched anime.

I sometimes wonder if I could get him interested. He's the one who introduced me to video games, we always used to watch shows like Star Trek, that submarine rehash of Star Trek, and various other things together, and he was a pretty interesting guy, after all.

I'd personally love the challenge. But then that'd be like one of seven hundred things about him being alive that I'd like. And then there's the thousand things I wouldn't like, because he was also an abusive asshole.

You know, since we're sharing.

Leo Jones
Leo Jones

Yes I was pretty confused about the first two movies. I read that one of the movies was supposed to be a "real ending" to the series, that replaces the last two episodes. I think that was the one I watched fully. Was that the first or second movie?

I saw the 3rd one, it was pretty neat.

Blake Thomas
Blake Thomas

Cut it out. I want to be mad, but not at this. Am I not allowed to be a jaded asshole?

Charles Cook
Charles Cook

The original series had two films
Death and Rebirth - Recap of series + beginning of End of Evangelion (Literally no reason to be watched)
End of Evangelion - New Ending

Than there was a series of remakes/sequels
Evangelion 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and the upcoming 4.0.

Chase Green
Chase Green

Be a jaded asshole all you like, but you're not gonna stop me having fun at your expense. All you had to do was stay silent. Learn from this, let it build some character.

Connor Barnes
Connor Barnes

You're in no position to scold me you little cancer. Fuck off. I bet you haven't even lurked for more than a year. Damn summerfag.

Luis Sullivan
Luis Sullivan

That sounds like you are talking about Death/Rebirth.
1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 refers to the rebuilds which is a newer theatrical take on the series.
1.0 is mostly just a remake
2.0 is sort of an alternate take of the events after the Ramiel fight
3.0 is completely new material

Watch them if you feel inclined, many people don't like them because unfortunately Eva doesn't have a chance to explore characters well within the time limits of a movie.

Parker Thomas
Parker Thomas

Oh we're memeposting now!! Wonderful!
Anno a hack, did you know? There is the ebin pic of him floating around. Can I have it if you have it pls? I really really like that picture.

Austin Brown
Austin Brown

!!

Liam Sullivan
Liam Sullivan

Okay, since even I'm not entirely sure which movies you've seen, out of the many that have been made, lemme just list everything in order for the sake of completeness, and you tell me what you've seen and haven't seen, 'kay?

1995-1996: Neon Genesis Evangelion airs on television.

15 MArch, 1997: Evangelion Death & Rebirth airs in theaters throughout Nipland. It consists of two parts, an hour-long rehash of the series with some interesting fanficcy bits of all the Children playing classical music together for a concert, which is Death, and then Rebirth, the first 25 minutes or so of the final film, that released later that year.

19 July, 1997: End of Evangelion, the final ending of the series, comes out. It effectively replaces episodes 25 and 26, and blows everyone's collective minds. Includes some of the most awe-inspiring imagery every made, and is a bit of a complete mind fuck.

Now, later, Anno rewatched the series again in oughties and thought, hey, that was actually not bad, I'm going to remake it and makes loads of money. Thus:

1 September 2007: Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone comes out. It basically retells episodes 1-6, with some interesting differences, and gorgeous new animation, and plot beat changes.

27 June 2009: Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance comes out in theaters, which picks up where 1.0 left off, and ends with the Zeruel battle. Things go off the rails.

17 November, 2012: Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Redo happens. Note the title, it's kind of important in both a meta-commentary way as well as in-story. The rails are a long-lost memory, we get space pirate Asuka and Airship Captain Katsuragi.

So which have you seen?

Christopher Anderson
Christopher Anderson

At last I see. Thanks.

Ryder Long
Ryder Long

Ha! Wicked post. I really like how you used the little green arrow to point out the exclamation marks, I'll need to start doing that myself.
So are you a boy or girl? I bet you're a cute little girl.

Luis Richardson
Luis Richardson

By the way, as much as I loved the Rei+Asuka picture earlier in this thread, the Asuka+Mari ones are incredible. Got any Mari+Rei ones, out of curiosity?

...do any even exist?

Michael Rodriguez
Michael Rodriguez

I watched NGE, then I watched part of Death and rebirth, and the stopped because it seemed like the whole thing was a rehash of NGE.

After I watched EOE and then Eva 3.0.

I assumed that Death & Rebirth = Eva 1.0 and EOE = Eva 2.0, but it appears I was wrong.

Jordan Baker
Jordan Baker

I honestly don't know. Asuka and Mari is seriously cute though. She might not be much of a character, given what we know thus far, but she's super cute.

To the best of my knowledge, you're only going to find Mari with Rei as long as Asuka is included.

Wyatt Evans
Wyatt Evans

Oh! Well have fun, 1.0 and 2.0 are interesting movies. Their biggest flaw is their lack of runtime. While 90-100 minutes each, I forget which is which, it's not enough to develop characters other than Shinji and Rei, to be honest.

So we lose a lot of interesting side character stuff. Ritsuko, for example, is practically a nonentity outside of exposition, whereas in the original even before the big reveals she had character and was fully realized.

Owen Bennett
Owen Bennett

Julian Gomez
Julian Gomez

Asuka not wearing a thong
last i checked she's WHITE, Japan

Blake Bailey
Blake Bailey

i
Hello phoneposter.

Colton Rivera
Colton Rivera

you missed a comma, grammar-nazi

Connor Perry
Connor Perry

Well shit I thought I've seen it all. Thanks for your help, these threads are usually filled with toilet posting instead of real discussions.

Isaiah Walker
Isaiah Walker

Goodnight anon's. Love you all, even the jaded one.
Sorry I didn't have info on Rei on Mari. That's something I'll need to loo into, for both our benefits.

Does anyone that's willing to share it know if writefag changed his email?

Benjamin Jenkins
Benjamin Jenkins

Of course, spoonfeeding you is obviously a vast improvement.

Tyler Rodriguez
Tyler Rodriguez

What did Anno mean by this? Shinji is clearly gay, right?

Landon Bennett
Landon Bennett

Ritsuko, for example, is practically a nonentity outside of exposition
That really hurts since her conflict with Misato was so much of the representation of Nerv's dirty, conspiratorial nature.

Caleb Campbell
Caleb Campbell

dat title tho

Made me laugh.

Andrew Bailey
Andrew Bailey

/v/

Jordan Morris
Jordan Morris

It does, yeah. The movies are flawed, and I definitely prefer the originals, but they've got their good moments, without a doubt.

In many ways, small details, especially between Shinji and his father, are better. Shinji is significantly more like Gendo.

There are neat little things that suggest a seriously changed metaphysical underpinning for the movies, though.

For example, at the start, Shinji isn't saved by Unit 01 when Rei is wheeled in on a stretcher. Unit 01 simply doesn't react that way.

NERV has techniques to contain Angels/Angelic beings, at least temporarily. Those odd, glyph-covered pillars they erect all throughout 2.0 and in bits of 3.0. They use them in that arctic base, several places that seem contaminated by angelic matter, and in 3.0 WILLE uses them to surround Shinji when he wakes up, along with the guys with guns.

Also, SEELE aren't people anymore, they've existed much longer, and are something completely different, having guided humanity since ancient times, not as a secret society but as some kind of metahuman things/computer program/fuck if I know. All I know is that they aren't human in the conventional sense.

You know, weird little details like that.

Jose Cook
Jose Cook

Are you me? All these things are exactly how I feel about Eva. (Not about Iron Man tho, all 3 of those movies sucked).

Jose Williams
Jose Williams

I think it's reasonable to dislike or reserve judgment of a film that is no more than the first half of a new story line, especially given the possible 5-10 year gap between said films.

Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones

Are Rebuilds worth the watch?

Jace Reed
Jace Reed

1 and 2 are.

3 might be, but we won't know until 4 comes out.

Do yourself a favor and just watch the first 2 for now, and wait until 4 comes and just watch 3 and 4 together.

Unless you want to spend 10 years in cliffhanger hell like the rest of us.

Henry Evans
Henry Evans

You user, the theater represents you.

Especially the waifufag in from with the Asuka and Rei dolls

Caleb Jones
Caleb Jones

Thanks. I just finished the series about 2 weeks ago and really wasn't sure if I should jump into the movies

Isaac Cox
Isaac Cox

If you're still thirsty, the manga doesn't suck, either.

Charles Carter
Charles Carter

You did watch EoE, right?

Levi Baker
Levi Baker

Yeah, watched it right after I finished the series. My mind was full of fuck, but I loved it. I laid in bed the following night just going over what I watched.

Camden Miller
Camden Miller

But is it really gay if it's with Alien Space Jesus?

Ayden Nelson
Ayden Nelson

Yes. Go fuck yourself you evageeksfag.

Isaiah Adams
Isaiah Adams

Rebuild 3 had the problem of emphasizing the Jesus metaphor way too much and making it obvious he was gonna die
Still pretty great

Cameron Watson
Cameron Watson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ojh7gbuNzw

Nicholas Russell
Nicholas Russell

Why are you guys so salty?

Leo Perez
Leo Perez

Nobody cares about that faggot,only exist for fujoshit,the anime was the same without he

Aiden Walker
Aiden Walker

The Eva movies' direction was not the same spirit of the TV series

I liked the TV series' direction, questions are answered with more questions so people are able to make their own 'answers'.

Nathaniel Garcia
Nathaniel Garcia

Shinji wouldn't have the mindfuck then.

Juan Gonzalez
Juan Gonzalez

He only appears in the last fuckin chapters,so for me is the same.
And now he become one of the mains in the news shitty movies,I really donĀ“t understand why Anno accept this garbage.

Jose Bailey
Jose Bailey

eva is a series about depression, in that sequence anno breaks the 4th wall and puts the focus on the audience, you are supposed to reflect on your life at that moment

Christian Thomas
Christian Thomas

Its a cross, can't tell if you're trolling.

Landon Bennett
Landon Bennett

have him appear in one episode
Thats pointless it would be the same without him
Give him more screentime to make his death impact more
STOP FUJO PANDERING

Regardless Kaworu really pushes the point of just how desperate Shinji is. Especially in 3.0 where he just goes with some crazy ass scheme to try to erase his mistake.

Sebastian Moore
Sebastian Moore

my thoughts exactly.
Wasn't Eva's episode count reduced?

Joseph Perry
Joseph Perry

No.

Asher Brooks
Asher Brooks

Not that I know of. But going by June's interview, Kaworu was supposed to appear earlier, between episodes 11 and 16.

Asher Ross
Asher Ross

Give him more screentime to make his death impact more
That didn't happen, he got more air and less character than ever. He talks exclusively about Shinji and dies surprised after not paying attention to anything else for 14 years.

Wyatt Sanders
Wyatt Sanders

I CAUGHT A FISH THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS BIG!

Christopher Cooper
Christopher Cooper

THIIIIIIIIIIIS BIG?

Wyatt Perry
Wyatt Perry

FUCK YOU

Lincoln Barnes
Lincoln Barnes

That's the kind of quality posters I want on Sup Forums.

Zachary Watson
Zachary Watson

I finished NGE two days ago and EoE yesterday didn't watch any rebuilds
I loved it though

Wyatt Phillips
Wyatt Phillips

be me watching evangelion
liking it so far, it's pretty good
get to the end
all a dream lol

dropkicked that shit to the trash so fast. What a waste not even going to bother with the shitty movie. Did they fix that shit in the rebuilds?

Josiah Campbell
Josiah Campbell

rebuilds are cool for the animation at least

Jayden Miller
Jayden Miller

If by fix you mean made it where a dumbfuck can't have a massive misinterpretation of what just happened, then yes they "fixed" it.
So far at least final movie isn't finished.
I don't care if you are just pretending watch EoE it has one of the most beautifully animated fight scene.

Jeremiah Long
Jeremiah Long

dream

Asher Young
Asher Young

Wait, what? it was never a dream

Jose Brown
Jose Brown

what the hell are you talking about? is not a dream

Aaron Williams
Aaron Williams

mfw this is canon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR2v3E1Zwq8&ab_channel=frankinafishtankable

Logan Baker
Logan Baker

I love the fact that Asuka knows the term "get it up"
Delicious.

Tyler Cooper
Tyler Cooper

She looks a bit too young in this pic. It says Gainax in the corner though. Is it from an artbook or something?
Her tiny feet are super cute.

Christopher Lee
Christopher Lee

The feet are super cute, and I'm not even a foot kind of person. Sorry though, I don't know where the image is from.

Jack Cox
Jack Cox

I got you user, it's by Yoshitoshi ABe as far as I'm aware. Here's his other one.

Oliver Morris
Oliver Morris

CUTE!

Noah Foster
Noah Foster

Very.

James Ramirez
James Ramirez

The eyes make them look very unsettling.

Grayson Moore
Grayson Moore

I guess I can see that. They are quite big and emotionless compared to other pieces of art. I think that's why I like it, it's high quality, but different.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page