https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2XdNaqi7Ag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cewaMVQUIIo
http://utahiroba.blog.jp/
http://famousemusic.blog.jp/
http://musicparadise.blog.jp/
http://otootooto.blog.jp/
Benjamin Long
Benjamin Long

Mediocre edgeshit or genuinely refreshing use of a SoL?
Let's see, yup, the latter. No wonder one is doing mediocre like itself, and the other is best seller.

Cameron Price
Cameron Price

ships all the way. its sad that i can name all of the IJN Japanese fleet. and I am learning more about tanks as we speak

John Gutierrez
John Gutierrez

you can't drift ships

Jeremiah Cox
Jeremiah Cox

implying

Brayden Miller
Brayden Miller

I choose planes.

Camden Howard
Camden Howard

Brave Witches
At least choose something not-shit of the franchise.

Sebastian Cook
Sebastian Cook

You got it primary-kun.

Thomas Myers
Thomas Myers

Airplanes!

David Miller
David Miller

Tanks between your image. Now, if we had a good show based on ships...

Samuel Diaz
Samuel Diaz

Haifuri is unironically better.

Levi Walker
Levi Walker

Maybe so far, but they need to hurry up and kill someone or at least do something shocking.

Dominic Hughes
Dominic Hughes

GuP schools are basically aircraft carriers so it depends if those aircraft carriers have any actual aircraft left. If they do, they could probably sink all the Haifuri fleets since airplanes don't seem to exist in that setting so they're completely unprepared for them. If not, the Haifuris sink all their schools easily.

Eli Cooper
Eli Cooper

I'm not going to make a decision until Haifuri finishes season 1 and the GuP movie gets subbed.

A lot closer, I think... Personally, I prefer GuP because the tanks work a lot closer to real life in it. I acknowledge that Arpeggio has a bit more depth (no pun intended) to it, though.

David Sanders
David Sanders

Ships of course op

Gavin Rogers
Gavin Rogers

Whatever floats your boat

Bentley Perry
Bentley Perry

I doubt OP was asking which one would win in a fight, but it makes you wonder how thick would the hull of a seven and a fucking half kilometer long ship would be.

Carter Sullivan
Carter Sullivan

more powerful

Kayden Rogers
Kayden Rogers

it has to be grimdark

Luis Jackson
Luis Jackson

GuP is a lot better. I've been trying to like Haifuri but it's honestly not good.

Andrew Morgan
Andrew Morgan

There's nowhere else it can go. They're dealing with live ammo and shit, it's not like GuP where it was all just a tournament.

Noah Howard
Noah Howard

If someone is going to die, it's going to be Rin

Owen Perez
Owen Perez

I think GuP is the far better animu.

Colton Cox
Colton Cox

Should be Moka.

William Thomas
William Thomas

Ships for life.
Panzer was kinda shitty.

Logan Ramirez
Logan Ramirez

The Yamato had 410mm side armor, and a length of 263m. If you apply the square-cube law when scaling up, you get over 62m of steel. Or maybe 333m, I'm not sure on the proper application here.

Xavier Richardson
Xavier Richardson

CARLOS

Tyler Murphy
Tyler Murphy

needs more euro beat

Nathan Roberts
Nathan Roberts

Is GuP worth watching if I like Haifuri and Strike Witches?

Adrian Flores
Adrian Flores

I like ships more than tanks, but Hai Furi is nowhere near as good as GuP, which disappoints me deeply

Lincoln Watson
Lincoln Watson

GuP has it's own ships, so I choose that to get both.

Yes user, we'll never invite you to the super secret /ak/ bunker if you don't.

Jordan Martin
Jordan Martin

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't enjoy GuP if you liked those

Ian Taylor
Ian Taylor

Haifuri needs to figure out where it wants to go. Right now the plot feels aimless.

Bentley Perry
Bentley Perry

We need to go back

Ayden Fisher
Ayden Fisher

still waiting for a mecha musume show that does not sucks shit.

Dominic Mitchell
Dominic Mitchell

Ships. I don't feel as strongly about licking tank girls clean after they've used the toilet.

Angel Sullivan
Angel Sullivan

How could they do that?

people that developed mind control rats take over Japan and hunt down the Harekaze, the only ship not infected

Nathan Rogers
Nathan Rogers

Haifuri is basically Aniplex trying to cash in on GuPs popularity without knowing what made it successful in the first place. They seem to think its entirely Yoshida and Suzuki and a super large cast. It also has their usual excessive marketing and trumpeting

Ryder Butler
Ryder Butler

GuP
tournament arc
Haifuri
serious arc

Hunter Kelly
Hunter Kelly

Tanks

Brody Bailey
Brody Bailey

Better question, Ship-girls or... Hang on, why no moe anthropomorphized tanks?

We need to rectify this immediately!

Most important question: is bust size proportional to calibur, or armor thickness?[/spooiler]

Jaxson Harris
Jaxson Harris

Thinking about it, bust size should obviously be proportional to gun caliber... The ratio of gun caliber to armor thickness could determine how much clothes they're wearing. (I imagine this will make Hellcat-chan rather popular...)

Kayden Cox
Kayden Cox

negligent discharge
Why is that Pz68 cosplaying as a Sherman?

Gavin Young
Gavin Young

Wir sind aus Munition heraus

Levi Anderson
Levi Anderson

Has there been a cute girl show about airplanes?

What if there was a show about flight attendants and their shenanigans flying all over the world?

Aaron Morgan
Aaron Morgan

Ships are cooler, but GuP is clearly the better anime.

Alexander Butler
Alexander Butler

Ships

Jackson Young
Jackson Young

only one ship

Jace Gray
Jace Gray

Don't recognize the left and Garupan kinda sucks. Can't I choose airplanes?

Anthony Wright
Anthony Wright

Why is Girls und Panzer so ridiculously successful?

Jack Lee
Jack Lee

Because it's cute girls driving Tanks.

Easton Gonzalez
Easton Gonzalez

Because it's well directed and has appealing characters and tank action.

Adrian Hill
Adrian Hill

Panzer vor

Ethan Powell
Ethan Powell

Aside from the hype and the tank noises?
It has a very large all female cast, see idolshit or cancercolle. It's a neat trick that retains the waifufags and keeps them interested while you put out more merch for them to consume.
it's really good though

John Gray
John Gray

Minus the tank action, there are other shows that fit the bill for the other two qualities yet don't sell so much.

Brody Thompson
Brody Thompson

Well maybe they should have put tanks in those shows.

Gabriel James
Gabriel James

all these /a/nons shitting on GuP
This is just backlash for the chain generals, isn't it?

Jaxon Myers
Jaxon Myers

tfw no show about cute girls flying fighter planes
Strike witches does not count.

Jaxon Stewart
Jaxon Stewart

He's got you there, user.

Aiden Fisher
Aiden Fisher

Minus the tank action
"Girls und" just doesn't quite have the same ring to it...

Blake Watson
Blake Watson

It's because of the tanks, ya goof. GuP is novel, and it strikes just the right balance of absurdity, sincerity, and fuckin TANKS.

Joshua Wood
Joshua Wood

So is Haifuri not as good because tanks > boats or because the directing is worse?

Angel Carter
Angel Carter

haifuri has a worse captain

Ryan Clark
Ryan Clark

The reason it's not as good is because of the garbage writing so far.

Carter Long
Carter Long

Haifuri suffers from a lack of direction. It really started to be noticeable around episode 4. There's also how ridiculously absurd the battles are.

Shima shoots a bullet out of midair

Henry Martinez
Henry Martinez

Shit writing, it doesn't matter if it's boats or tanks, if the writing's good enough you can make anything hype
cute girls operating forklifts
fund it

Christian Carter
Christian Carter

cute girls operating forklifts
all girl anime version of Gabelstaplerfahrer Klaus

Nathan Wilson
Nathan Wilson

Would watch

Ayden Flores
Ayden Flores

I've got one that's got girls flying light mechas; unfortunately the writers were very lazy.

Charles Bailey
Charles Bailey

Haifuri wants to be more serious but it isn't actually. The tone feels really inconsistent it's unclear what sort of show they are trying to make. GuP has a ridiculous premise but carriers it well with internal consistency, it's very clearly a sports anime with tanks.

Tyler Johnson
Tyler Johnson

I prefer Haifuri, but I never gave a fuck about realism or plot in the first place. In fact, I'm glad it didn't try to be gritty or serious at all.

Wyatt Brooks
Wyatt Brooks

Yes, and its well deserved in my opinion.
The /ak/ general is just pure fucking cancer, which is a shame, since the show is quite decent.

Charles Peterson
Charles Peterson

But I want proper planes.

Jeremiah Nelson
Jeremiah Nelson

Area 88.
Sento Yosei Yukikaze.
Macross Zero.

Jason Garcia
Jason Garcia

There's also how ridiculously absurd the battles are.
It's an anime about high school girls operating warships. If you're expecting anything like absolute realism, you're doing it wrong.

William Price
William Price

It's a couple of reasons, really. The plot of GuP was incredibly simple and focused. It was just a cookie-cutter sports tournament anime. This kept things simple and also heightened the gag. Haifuri has hypnosis hamsters, which are pretty absurd, but also super weird and out of place. The whole story has just been sort of a mess.

The character work is pretty strong though. I'd argue that the characters in Haifuri are a little more interesting that GuP. In GuP most of the characters only exist for the gag. All of their traits are setup as ridiculous in juxtaposition to the subject matter of tank warfare. Which again, means that GuP is more tight to the premise. The joke works better. In Haifuri, the joke isn't as tight, but you've got a lot of really engaging characters. I like what they're doing with the captain, and a lot of the peripheral girls like lookout-chan, sonar-chan, engineer-chan, and doctor-chan are really great. And the inevitable power struggle between the captain and vice captain spurred on by brunette bitch will surely be entertaining.

But all in all, GuP better serves its premise. Everything about GuP is assembled to pile on top of this weird joke, while at the same time being a respectable sports tournament anime with badass tank battles. It's just more cohesive in this way, it forms a more successful whole.

Cooper Thompson
Cooper Thompson

It could be better though. GuP did a mix of Gimmicky stunts and strategy while the boat show is just "We can do this thing probably.... WE DID IT"

Leo Campbell
Leo Campbell

Also I forgot to mention that this guy is fucking right, the whole shooting the bullet out of the air thing was retarded.

Dylan Peterson
Dylan Peterson

modern jets a shit

Logan Foster
Logan Foster

This, and I'm already preemptively upset that Haifuri is bound to become part of /ak/ once the show is over.

Samuel Lewis
Samuel Lewis

Haifuri got into the battles right away but then it hasn't really had any for the past few episodes. Sort of reverse from GuP. If the SOL had come first I wonder if the first impression of the show would have changed our expectations.

Nolan Lopez
Nolan Lopez

Indubitably. I won't be satisfied unless it's Porco Rosso with moe girls.

Josiah Jackson
Josiah Jackson

PANZOR VOR or TORIKAJI IPPAI

Adam Walker
Adam Walker

I love Hai-Furi, but GuP is the objectively better show. Boats might not be over yet, so there's possibility of getting better, but so far it's only strayed further from GuP. That's not to say it's a bad show. It's a good complement to cute girls doing cute military things, so now we only need planes to complete the triad.

Tyler Edwards
Tyler Edwards

And then Girls und Combat Infantry!

James Young
James Young

yall are faggots who can't appreciate the pure beauty of a giant air breathing, JP-8 sucking, fiery monster.

Eli Jackson
Eli Jackson

Isn't that Sora no Woto?

Daniel Perry
Daniel Perry

GuP never really made me laugh out loud aside from the zoom out carrier reveal but it was still pretty funny in an amusing way. I haven't felt any of that type of humor at all in Haifuri. It has comedy bits but they're sort of generic instead of over-the-top ridiculous.

The joke minor characters in GuP, when it has such a huge cast, make them memorable at least. I can't tell most of the Harekaze crew apart even if their interactions do feel more natural. But GuP also had groups of girls amalgamated into basically a single entity, like the volleyball club are all the same girl, same for the freshmen.

Hunter Gomez
Hunter Gomez

Jets in anime always devolve into itano circus bullshit. Props or go home.

Carson Watson
Carson Watson

Overall, Girls und Panzer might be a better series. I'll reserve judgement until HaiFuri is finished and I can judge it as a whole, though.

With that said, I think HaiFuri is overall doing more interesting things with its plot. GuP was, as you say, a cookie-cutter sports tournament anime. This has its pluses, since there's familiar elements to make the audience comfortable along with the strange premise, and it's a well-used genre, so it's easy to build on other examples. But that also does make it a bit predictable.

On the other hand, things are considerably less clear with HaiFuri. A good chunk of why I'm watching is to see where the hell they're going with the mind control rats thing. Which may be a ridiculous thing, but within the scope of ridiculous I'm willing to accept in a show about high school girls crewing largely automated warships. Once It's done and we know what's going on, will I be able to go back and re-watch it and still enjoy it? Time will tell.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy this for what it is, rather than leap to conclusions about whether or not it's better than another show with a kind of similar premise.

Incidentally, I think Sora no Woto is a closer comparison to make with HaiFuri than Girls und Panzer is.

Ethan Clark
Ethan Clark

The way they worked the realism magic in GuP was spot on.

You have shells and small arms fire flying around, tanks getting hit, catching fire and flipping over and nobody every getting hurt, despite a grand total of ONE character wearing an actual helmet. You have tanks drifting, speeding and cornering at speed 2-3 times faster than what they did in real life. You get turrets traversing at dubious speed, a loli loading shells heavier than herself and a tracks repairing faster than an f1 pit crew on crack.
What they didn't hold back on concerning realism was exactly the kind of stuff that the average tank autist watching this would gush over. The track and engine noises, the little bits of dust kicking off the hull when the gun fires. That crisp sound the casing makes as it falls into its basket. Miho opening a vent in the roof after the gun fires to let the smoke out .That grinding clutch noise when the Maus' turret jams into the building. How the tanks that can neutral turn do so but the pz IV turns with the brakes. Little details

Luis Allen
Luis Allen

that's because animators are still stuck in that infuriating WW2 mindset that all combat must take place within arm's length.

Camden Diaz
Camden Diaz

TORIKAJI IPPAI is more fun to say.

Christopher Jenkins
Christopher Jenkins

They're literally an (undersized) tank platoon, user. They were simply dismounted for most of the series while Takemikazuchi-chan was under repair, but they conducted their big combat scene in a tank. They actually have specialized armor roles (driver, gunner, commander, signalman/radio operator).

Filicia's old unit was also an armored unit.

Isaac Johnson
Isaac Johnson

not appreciating the beauty of a BF109

James Gonzalez
James Gonzalez

I'm sure shooting missiles from kilometers away will make for intersting combat.

Brayden Nguyen
Brayden Nguyen

Haifuri has hypnosis hamsters, which are pretty absurd, but also super weird and out of place. The whole story has just been sort of a mess.
What I really don't get is, who gives a shit?
I'm being serious here, the plot is just there as an excuse to have cute girls in ships, you're watching it knowing this, so why do you expect the creators to pretend there's anything serious to it? If anything, being ridiculous adds to the fun. How would you even make a believable story about high school girls in live naval battles?
I guess it could be disappointing for /k/ fags expecting some hot WW2 ship on ship action, but we all know that'd actually be boring as all hell.

Gabriel White
Gabriel White

I prefer Haifuri's character designs compared to GuP's.
Who says I didn't Hawker Seafury is better by the way

Michael Garcia
Michael Garcia

Are you all serious?
You can make anything exciting if there's competent direction involved.

Anthony Young
Anthony Young

That's exactly it though, the creators ARE serious. That's what kills the fun.

Luke Powell
Luke Powell

Because WoT fags

Henry Brown
Henry Brown

the creators ARE serious
Does your dad works for Aniplex?

Nolan Robinson
Nolan Robinson

How would you make jet combat interesting without resorting to itano circus shittery or essentially turning them into props with missiles?

Isaac Campbell
Isaac Campbell

Girls und Drones anime, yes or no?

William Ward
William Ward

Haifuri girls > GuP girls

Hudson Jackson
Hudson Jackson

Complete with friendly fire and PTSD to pander to our new edgefriends

Daniel Peterson
Daniel Peterson

Make it about the tenseness of dodging multiple missile salvos so that you can get within missile range.
The suspense of being ordered to get WVR because of the IFF being wonky.
SEAD operations where its all about jamming the fuck out of enemy installations before slamming a couple AGM/PGM's into the enemy.

Benjamin Watson
Benjamin Watson

No that's lame. Drones just aren't fun.

Jack Campbell
Jack Campbell

That sounds lame as shit.

Nathaniel Gonzalez
Nathaniel Gonzalez

tenseness
suspense
Any more than what's already in the show wouldn't be cute anymore.

Eli Gomez
Eli Gomez

WW2 is also lame as shit.
I fyou're really hellbent on muh honorabru gun duels you can just set it during the Korean War or Vietnam.
Jet planes are extremely cute.

Lincoln Gutierrez
Lincoln Gutierrez

Torpedo-chan is a riot.

Isaac Martinez
Isaac Martinez

I fyou're really hellbent on muh honorabru gun duels you can just set it during the Korean War or Vietnam.
Notice how I only mentioned modern jets earlier. Early jets that still used guns as primary weapons are the coolest shit.

Brody Nelson
Brody Nelson

there will never be a complete Third Aerial Girls Squad anime (with less awful CGI)
;_;

Asher Adams
Asher Adams

The creators aren't all that serious. Arguably slightly less serious than the creators of Girls und Panzer.

Parker Allen
Parker Allen

THE LAST GUNFIGHTER

Leo Fisher
Leo Fisher

Yeah that's true about the characters. The first couple tiers of named girls are pretty memorable, but then the rest are not well established or used. In GuP you would often get reactions from each group of girls, and they were all very visually distinct.

more interesting things with its plot
I agree, and if those things resolve in a satisfying way then the risk may pay off. But right now it feels kinda dumb to me. Like you say, we'll have to wait and see.

I think Sora no Woto is a closer comparison to make with HaiFuri than Girls und Panzer is.
Hah, I don't think I can agree with that. I would have to categorize both HaiFuri and GuP as "gag" anime, where the whole premise is not to be taken seriously. SnW (whether you think it was successful or not) made statements about the human condition, war, and mono no aware. GuP especially never presented war as anything other than cute, fluffy, and fun. Haifuri doesn't have anything approaching real war, but it does sorta touch on actual danger. In SnW war was hell. It ruined the lives of everybody in the show, and doomed the entire planet.

SnW has to go in a different category. It's got cute girls, yes, and sometimes they do cute things, but they also sometimes get blown to hell and have realistic PTSD symptoms. Could you imagine either GuP or Haifuri touching on a subject like war orphans? Suicide? Survivor guilt?

Haifuri is in this weird grey area between too ridiculous and not ridiculous enough, which prevents it from being grounded in any reasonable way. GuP had a ridiculous premise and constantly poked fun at that premise, but it didn't just do random shit. If you want to do random shit just go full nichijou.

Camden Lewis
Camden Lewis

She can fire my torpedo any day of the week

Jayden Johnson
Jayden Johnson

he doesn't appreciate the pure aesthetics of 4th/5th gen

Anthony Hill
Anthony Hill

I'd give her my torpedo if you get what I mean

Angel Flores
Angel Flores

Dayumn son, check 'em

Nathan Hughes
Nathan Hughes

ugly as fuck desu

Ryan Rodriguez
Ryan Rodriguez

You sound like a real fruit, "desu"

Kayden Young
Kayden Young

Not a Tempest V

Plebs, the lot of you!

But going OT, I believe that both shows have somewhat different audiences. GuP had the whole "girl sports with tanks" thing going for it, while Haifuri seems to be going for more the sci-fi/mystery show with SoL.

That's what I see, at least. Then again, I'm a dirty /ak/-fag, so who cares what I say?

Jacob Moore
Jacob Moore

Wow, I didn't think that those ugly rocks with tin can wings would be appealing to anyone. Looks like I'll have to take my superior speed and tastes above the rest of y'all

Brandon Ortiz
Brandon Ortiz

Sorry, Sup Forums couldn't keep up with the image

Benjamin Hernandez
Benjamin Hernandez

What are you superior tastes?

Nathan Morgan
Nathan Morgan

She's a real beaut for sure, based Clarence.
Far better than some memeshit like the Fw.190 or the Zero, or the Mustang.

Jayden Jackson
Jayden Jackson

Outta my way, gook fucking shits

Joseph Gray
Joseph Gray

Haifuri is in this weird grey area between too ridiculous and not ridiculous enough
People keep saying this but I don't see it. It's been ridiculous and obviously meant to be fun first and foremost since the beginning.
Maybe they were expecting some serious bait & switch to happen, or maybe they can't wrap their brains around life threatening situations being lighthearted (which would make me think they didn't watch enough cartoons), but the point is, I feel like people are projecting expectations on this show which it never promised or even indicated it would ever deliver.
prevents it from being grounded
Pun intended?
random shit
I don't know what you mean. Unless you mean mind rats, in which case tank battles as a girls' sport is just as random.

Lucas Reyes
Lucas Reyes

Unless you mean mind rats, in which case tank battles as a girls' sport is just as random
See this is my whole point. It's not. Tank battles as a girls' sport is the whole joke. Everything in GuP is built up around this ridiculous joke. GuP is girls and tanks. Haifuri is girls and ships... but also mind rats for some reason.

Carter Foster
Carter Foster

Everything in GuP is built up around this ridiculous joke. GuP is girls and tanks. Haifuri is girls and ships... but also mind rats for some reason.
I really don't know what you're trying to say here.

Jose Sanders
Jose Sanders

for some reason
Because you can fight other ships without it being just a sport but also without dealing with bothersome shit like war and politics. This isn't difficult.

Kayden Lopez
Kayden Lopez

With enough plot contrivances and de-emphasized stealth, there would be nothing wrong with cute girls flying cute fighter jets. Area 88 already demonstrated that animated jet combat doesn't have to be boring without relying on Itano Circus.

Justin Phillips
Justin Phillips

Relevant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2XdNaqi7Ag

Joshua Bailey
Joshua Bailey

posts a webm of jets being ridiculously maneuverable, dogfighting and using guns a shitload
You're just proving my point. It's essentially prop doghfighting with missiles.

Elijah Martinez
Elijah Martinez

I understand that they're just a mechanism to allow them to fight each other, but that doesn't make them any less shoe-horned in. Everything that happened in GuP was a natural narrative progression extending from the basic premise of girls and tanks. Hypnosis hamsters is just arbitrary.

Brayden Phillips
Brayden Phillips

Will Haifuri get FATALPULSED?

Andrew Reyes
Andrew Reyes

'Tank battles are a sport' is the central premise of GuP where as 'mindcontrol rats' is a plot device that is both has nothing to do with what was built up in the show before and is really contrived.

Parker Cook
Parker Cook

shoe-horned in
People have literally been calling out mind control from episode 1. It'd just rats instead of aliens or zombies. It will probably have something to do with the whole deep sea mining shit which has also been foreshadowed already.

Wyatt Murphy
Wyatt Murphy

stuff about SnW
All good points. I was mostly thinking about HaiFuri and SnW being (para)military units and live ammo being thrown around, compared to sports teams and dummy rounds in GuP. SnW also didn't leap straight into PTSD, the horrors of war, and all of that; it built up to it. For all we know HaiFuri might go where SnW went. (If I were a betting man, I'd bet not, but you never know.)

Evan Richardson
Evan Richardson

Mike is supposedly going to get a lot of growth from episode 5-8. Maybe we'll get things like PTSD and the horrors of war from the remaining two episodes.

Thomas Perez
Thomas Perez

has nothing to do with what was built up in the show
see
The only contrived thing here is people expecting realism or an engaging plot from this.

Daniel Hernandez
Daniel Hernandez

Yeah, because an invisible plane firing missiles at other invisible planes after all most SAM installations have been Tomahawk'd the fuck out is pretty boring. Jets are sexy for the speed and maneuverability, and you gotta demonstrate it in an exciting manner. Dodging missiles (muh Itano Circus) or dodging autocannon fire in a turning dogfight is sexy. Bombing ISIS' Toyota trucks with laser-guided munitions is not.

Macross Zero's opening dogfight is memorable and exciting not because a squadron of Tomcats and a squadron of Fulcrums spot each other at max range, dump all their missiles, and turn around and disengaging while dropping chaff.

Josiah James
Josiah James

tfw wanted an anime about the First War/Gulf/Nam/Any good war of the last century
Filled with character development
Blood and Feels
The main crew could even be high school girls. Fuck it.
Is that too much to ask?

Ryan Richardson
Ryan Richardson

You're basically agreeing with me here. Modern air combat is boring.

But the way they make it exciting is either use missile spam or make it WWII dogfighting with guided missiles, which imo are both not good solutions.

Aaron Collins
Aaron Collins

The ships are cuter.

Elijah Nelson
Elijah Nelson

Exactly how are Haifuri girls in any way superior to the GuP girls? How? How!? HOW!?

Chase Bennett
Chase Bennett

Haifuri girls at least try to have a personality beyond a single character quirk per team.

William Lee
William Lee

They're funnier.

John Ortiz
John Ortiz

because its good

Hudson Evans
Hudson Evans

Their character designs blow GuP's out of the water, at least for me.

Ethan Evans
Ethan Evans

Gonna have to disagree there. Mind control's been there since episode 1, so it's not "unrelated to what was built up in the show" any more than actual combat. Rodents being the vector for it is unusual, sure, but it's no less plausible than any other possible means.

Brayden Edwards
Brayden Edwards

GuP character designs stand out a lot more with its eccentricity. so it's better overall. On the individual level the Haifuris' relatively smaller heads look less weird.

Justin Harris
Justin Harris

Seeing her go crazy next episode is going to be painful.

Benjamin Jackson
Benjamin Jackson

I dislike the way the GuP arttstyle portrays eyes.

Wyatt Walker
Wyatt Walker

Everyone loves tanks.

Somehow they're not as reviled as pretty much every other weapon, despite being literally made to fuck someone's shit up.

Easton Lopez
Easton Lopez

Eh, I could go either way with designs, but the Haifuri characters are so weak to me. I can't even remember who is who beyond worst captain and should have been captain.

Aaron Price
Aaron Price

You obviously haven't watched GuP enough. Each GuP team has a theme yes, but they all are much more complex. History team for example got fleshed out alot in the Anzio OVA on their relationship with each other and their individual personalities, especially Caeser. Rabbit team got alot of development too during the series from useless airheaded freshmen to ninja, super-tank killing, killer rabbits. The student council turned from bullies to being the team that cared about the school and each other. Haifuri, besides the stupid captain and serious first officer and the blonde bitchy german who I only like cause I like the VA, no one else is memorable. Also I cant remember any of their names beside Mocha-chan and the ships since the captain seems to say it every other word. Haifuri is a failure. Premise is stupid, the action is stupid, and I still cant tell if its supposed to be a comedy or serious.

Isaiah Wilson
Isaiah Wilson

I have a theory about that. Of the "modern" (ie 20th century onwards) vehicular weapons, they're the least impersonal and the most similar to the knight in armour, which is the most romanticised of the "old" military.

Chase Taylor
Chase Taylor

comparing a finished TV series plus OVAs to a TV series that's not even halfway done
Nigga what are you doing.

Chase Turner
Chase Turner

They are both shit

Lucas Sanchez
Lucas Sanchez

the most similar to the knight in armour,
What the fuck, no.
The knight motif belongs to the fighter pilots, tanks crews are dirty unwashed groundpounders.

Henry Cook
Henry Cook

no one else is memorable.
They're memorable enough. The only real issue is that there hasn't been quite enough focus on each character in turn to really stick for most people.
Also I cant remember any of their names beside Mocha-chan and the ships since the captain seems to say it every other word.
So? I don't have the names of the entire cast of Girls und Panzer memorised; doesn't make the characters or the show bad.
Haifuri is a failure. Premise is stupid, the action is stupid,
Stupid, but in an entertaining way.
and I still cant tell if its supposed to be a comedy or serious.
A show can be both, you know.

Christian Price
Christian Price

Must be feel so good for being able to selfie in the jet fighter cockpit

Connor Phillips
Connor Phillips

Even then, fighters rarely get close enough to even see the pilot anymore. Honor has no place on the battlefield these days.

Joshua Ward
Joshua Ward

Honor never had a place on the battlefield.
Notice how its only the losers who still give a shit about muh honor, like the Japanese, or the Germans.

Thomas Ward
Thomas Ward

Germans
muh honor

Logan Hill
Logan Hill

Ships > Tanks

Ask the Nazis at Salerno

Jeremiah Lopez
Jeremiah Lopez

Bf-109 pilot escorts B-17 crew back home
*tips balkenkreuz*
m'kameraden

Luis Wilson
Luis Wilson

All these shit fighters. Bow before the true queen of the skies.

You're okay

Dude you into some kinky shit.

Logan Gonzalez
Logan Gonzalez

That was rare though

Liam Murphy
Liam Murphy

I had a friend like this. "Muh warfare is about honour" "Fighting is between two people who are proving that they are more right" This whole argument started when a group of ours discussed Fury. He was upset that they forced that american kid to kill that soldier after failing to gun down some soldiers. "If another man surrenders, you should just let him go" "If he needs to die, I won't kill an unarmed man."

what if he comes back with reinforcements and comes to kill us because you let him go away free

"well that shows that I'm the better man." "I would rather let myself die then kill someone unjustly"

Grayson Williams
Grayson Williams

That sure doesn't look like a MIRV ;^)

Ryan Baker
Ryan Baker

"If another man surrenders, you should just let him go"
No, you take him prisoner. Just how stupid are these people?

Anthony Lopez
Anthony Lopez

Tanks honestly

Grayson Baker
Grayson Baker

Fuck you. The F-14 tomcat was and is gorgeous. That shit you're posting is more like a fucking albatross in mannerisms and grace in fucking comparison.

Another classic. Can still run fucking circles around anything we currently have and it's been decomissioned for a good while, too.

I still love the story of when one crew did a "speed check" with ground control, just to shut up a smug FA-18 pilot that was trying to show off to a poor guy in a cessna.

Xavier Lopez
Xavier Lopez

Tanks because best girl and freedom

Mason Robinson
Mason Robinson

I think the glorification of "battle" from video games twists the view on what war is. There is no Honor or Justice, only men doing dirty deeds to protect their sense of good.

Eli James
Eli James

Any love for the eastern european ladies?
Can still run fucking circles around anything we currently have and it's been decomissioned for a good while, too
le foxbat face

Connor Carter
Connor Carter

hating on the based valkyrie

Dylan Powell
Dylan Powell

firearms

Camden James
Camden James

Upotte is and was awful.
GSC is far better in regards to firearm porn.

Parker Richardson
Parker Richardson

tfw my country fell for the F-16 meme

Samuel Jenkins
Samuel Jenkins

There is a difference between "war" and WAR.

A Gentleman's war, is when both participants know they are in the shit because of the asshats upstairs having snits, and so they will play with "rules" in mind - this is why shoguns and their armies barely fought - they played Chicken with arrows where, if the one commander shot arrow that was was not fully aimed directly at the opposing commander, but near his feet or sides, and they flinched, they would back off.

WAR is when you have things like Vaitnam, or any real action where people believe the shit they are fighting for, and they will use ANYTHING to either halt or destroy their enemies, even going as far in some cases to violate the geneva conventions.

Speaking of which:L the Geneva conventions were made to at least try to keep people form turning into complete monsters during WAR, even if they can't fully get the point of "war" across.

but yes: because of the Geneva conventions at least, prisoners and injured are supposed to be treated humanly, and even that sometimes doesn't happen...

Oliver Myers
Oliver Myers

desu I love all planes equally, and the F-16 is a very capable airframe, if getting a bit long in the tooth.

Nathan Thomas
Nathan Thomas

Technically America didn't violate the Geneva Conventions because it's not a signatory country.

Ryan Edwards
Ryan Edwards

SR-71 could easily outrun the Foxbat. A souped up Foxbat can get close but it will wreck the engines. Now while it is true the Foxbat's missiles are faster than the SR-71, the SR-71 can see those missiles coming. If you see a missile coming at Mach 3 a slight change in your flight path will put you out of the missiles range. Combine this with a hefty ECM suite and Foxbat-chan (AS well as her younger, slower sister Foxhound) would be hard pressed to shoot a Blackbird down without extensive support from the ground.

Leo Jones
Leo Jones

This
being a nation that gives itself handicaps
How embarrasing.

Alexander Cruz
Alexander Cruz

Oh, look, they practically merged an F-14 and an F-15. How cute. Has it been proven to get up to Mach 7? No? Then it isnt' as fast as an SR-71.
The concept is nice, but goddamn, they could have designed it to not look like a gawky kid wearing and oversized cloak.

Plus, with those wingtips going down, they have to have large landing gear. IF they had put smaller winglets going both up and down, they could have lost a LOT of that gawkish feel to the craft.

Ian Collins
Ian Collins

Those wingtips moved.
designing with form over function
Wow, you'd have been a real success in aerospace.

Gabriel Ward
Gabriel Ward

Sadly, the problems with the F-16s are directly linked to those of the B-1 - the surface-hugging software was wonky at best, and when they had to stop ripping them out of the birds, they lost their "special touch". They opted to just refurb the F-15 to the C, D and E upgrade kits, as it was more cost effective,

So basically, they took a sportscar and turned it into a fiat panda, and sold them overseas to Japan for manufacturers' cost, and even Japan dumped them after a while.

Gabriel Lee
Gabriel Lee

If you reread what I said: the Geneva conventions are an attempt to make WAR more like "War". I never said who signed them or didn't. It was examples of left, right and somewhere in the middle.

Christian Collins
Christian Collins

So basically, they took a sportscar and turned it into a fiat panda, and sold them overseas to Japan for manufacturers' cost, and even Japan dumped them after a while
You know, you shouldn't talk out of your ass so much.

David Parker
David Parker

torikaji motherfucking ippai

David Collins
David Collins

Because muh Kruppsteel couldn't possibly be bad

Jason Fisher
Jason Fisher

SR-71 couldn't do Mach 7. It peaked out at Mach 3.something with that something somewhere around 5 or 6 at the most.

Nathan Long
Nathan Long

Dude. I saw the reports form Air force magazines on what they were doing to such a solid bird - it was one of my top five planes when growing up in the eighties (the others, in order are: sr-71, f-14, f-15, f-16 and I always had a place in my heart for the B-17, for some reason.

They fucking crippled those planes badly when they said "let's remove the shit that makes this a great plane and make it one that is just okay" True, the panda reference might be off, but sentimentally, it was like watching someone take a 1971 chevy malibu chevelle and dump a inline-4 into it instead of a 350 V8.

Jacob Cox
Jacob Cox

Multi-waves drifting!

Brayden Ramirez
Brayden Ramirez

Shit. Meant the six (they could reach it for short bursts) I missed that typo. Sorry about that. I knew cruising was about 3-3.5 once they got up to the upper atmosphere, but in order to break past earth's gravity, they do need to punch it past 4, and sometimes 5, depending on where they were in relation to certain conditions.

Elijah Gutierrez
Elijah Gutierrez

Dude, first of all, the Japs never adopted the F-16.
The F-2 is an entirely different aircraft based off of the F-16, but built with a lot of the most cutting edge tech of the time, such as AESA.
Secondly, the subequent Viper upgrade blocks have made it a much more FUNCTIONAL aircraft capable of doing everything from CAS to air superiority.

Joshua Collins
Joshua Collins

Multi-ship drifting!

Cooper Bell
Cooper Bell

A combination of factors.

First part is that it's wide demographic. It has a full-girl cast for otakus, but also features strong military tank action that normal people can enjoy(plus military otaku). All in the format of an inspirational underdog sports competition story which is understood near globally. Child-friendly to boot. It is a show you can introduce to normalfag friends and have them enjoy it.

Second, it was actually done well. All the characters were distinct, memorable, and relatable in a cast with dozens of characters. Including all the enemy teams. The pacing was superb despite having to do a recap episode in the middle of the season. There were no glaring plot holes, no annoyances, and the action in each battle was fresh and unique from each battle previous. It began with a unique premise and hook, each battle was a well-contained arc, and it ended beautifully with Miho's character developed and resolved.

Third, marketing and support. A little marketing goes a long way, but when they realized they had a hit, they went all-in. Side material galore, merchandise, tourism in the actual Ooarai, and finally the hit movie. They're milking the cash cow and treating it well.

Considering other anime original works that have been extremely successful, GuP's hype may go on for quite sometime if they don't bungle it up somewhere.

David Evans
David Evans

By 5 or 6 I meant Mach 3.5 or 3.6. It's not built to go any faster. The engines and airframe wouldn't be able to handle it. Nor could it go much higher than the publicly stated 89,000 feet. It doesn't have any reaction control thrusts and the air would be too thin for the control surfaces to work. Blackbird couldn't even come close to the speeds needed breaking free of earth's gravity. And even if it did it wouldn't have any way to control its flight.

Nicholas Cook
Nicholas Cook

In order to break earth's gravity you need a constant acceleration of at least 10m/s squared

Tyler Hughes
Tyler Hughes

maybe you should read some articles on it published after the Reagan era, then you wouldn't spew some of that high grade bullshit.

Adam Gonzalez
Adam Gonzalez

All I know is that Strike Witches has the best girls.

Oliver Turner
Oliver Turner

I disagree strongly.

Owen Ward
Owen Ward

This badboy is getting a son. Hopefully he will live up to the precedent that his father has set, even though he went with the "hip trend" to be a drone.

Ethan Perry
Ethan Perry

he disagrees without telling where his best girls are
Don't be like that.

Michael Martinez
Michael Martinez

SHIT TASTES ALERT

Jacob Anderson
Jacob Anderson

Anyone has the Sora no Woto trivia pic? please

Matthew Murphy
Matthew Murphy

It is a show you can introduce to normalfag friends and have them enjoy it.

I showed it to a mixed group and the girls shouted so much about the Garupans' skirts being "slutty" that we couldn't continue. Sad times really

Isaac Evans
Isaac Evans

Doesn't matter, since Strike Witches is over, and Brave Witches are shit.

Cooper Rodriguez
Cooper Rodriguez

You just know girls who say things like that are the real sluts.

Brayden Lewis
Brayden Lewis

I certainly can't rule that out, although I hate to call people sluts

Though to be fair the first episode of Garupan was kinda slow going. I liked it because I'm a fucking weeb, but it's probably not for everyone.

Brandon Smith
Brandon Smith

I swear it's cause Scamco has managed to find some sort of mythical combination of moe girls that are also gar and do both cute and cool things marrying the best of both the action oriented and SoL fan mindset. Also a keen eye for character design. They also seem to have a keen eye for getting every last yen out of an IP through careful several step planning, marketing and horizontal integration through their assets which include everything but a publishing wing.

Nathan Bell
Nathan Bell

Not him but Aniplex originals have a bad habit of taking themselves way to goddamn seriously and like they're delivering the next great masterpiece when it's pretty unwarranted. They also love to plan the victory parade long before all the dies are cast like with say Aldnoah.Zero which at one point was going to supersede Gundam and had a bunch of model kits and merchandise planned that as far as I know never went into production.

Colton Foster
Colton Foster

Except I'm pretty sure it is halfway done

James Hernandez
James Hernandez

You're still comapring a finished product plus extras to a series still airing, without any OVA's to add in shit after.

Jack Edwards
Jack Edwards

tanks

It's panzer you dingus!

Blake Lewis
Blake Lewis

Well, to a certain extent you do have to put the work in if you want to make something good.

Daniel Thomas
Daniel Thomas

Do I look like some shiteating kraut to you?

Christopher Cox
Christopher Cox

he doesn't like bulbous heads

Kayden Russell
Kayden Russell

Ships OP and ED is superior to Tanks OP and ED

Carson Fisher
Carson Fisher

I JUST FEEL MY WIND
worse

Xavier Sullivan
Xavier Sullivan

I'm a tank anom myself...but I'm going to have to go with ships because on AoBS

Hunter Anderson
Hunter Anderson

Both

Ayden Collins
Ayden Collins

Yeah, you heard me, its worse.

HaiFuri's OP never fails to get me pumped up, but GuP's OP is just obnoxious, and I skip it every time, and I usually never skip OP's.
GuP's ED is a bit better since it at least has the unique sequences every episode, but musically its meh.

Justin Clark
Justin Clark

Nah man, there's gonna be an S3
right?

Ayden Lewis
Ayden Lewis

Some people NEVER learn

Luke Stewart
Luke Stewart

Ships.
I don't know anything about tanks

Jaxon Smith
Jaxon Smith

All you have to know is German tanks are overrated, American tanks are underrated, and Soviet tanks will get you killed.

No one remembers the British tanks.

Henry Baker
Henry Baker

I'm sorry, but Haifuri's OP is way too dramatic for its kind of show. I always lose it at the way Minami puts on her jacket. It's worse if you know what the lyrics mean and how they imply death and stuff.

Easton Edwards
Easton Edwards

Yeah, but GuP's OP is just too fucking annoying, and the visual sequence is completely uninspired.
Haifuri feels like it has a bit more effort put into it.

Jace Reyes
Jace Reyes

tank action
which was actually done RIGHT
inspirational underdog
cast with dozens of characters. Including all the enemy teams
Are you starting to perceive a pattern here, user?

Chase Brooks
Chase Brooks

being a literal homosexual

Levi Hall
Levi Hall

musically its meh.

ENTER ENTER MISSION is fucking fantastic, wanker.

Lucas Anderson
Lucas Anderson

I see /ak/ has finally stopped wanking each other over and blogging about videogames and noticed this thread is up.

Parker Barnes
Parker Barnes

user compared them with Dragoons in another thread - (armoured) cavalry that is used to fight as infantry.
Not quite exact, but it's how it worked out.

Jason Hill
Jason Hill

All the antagonists are pretty fucking awesome. The America chick, the Russian chicks, and especially the German chicks.

Ryder Flores
Ryder Flores

Its mediocre J-pop, you hear the same shit in every anime.

William Torres
William Torres

ITT: lots of shit planes.
Make way.

Zachary Allen
Zachary Allen

mediocre J-pop
Yes please.

Aaron Smith
Aaron Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cewaMVQUIIo

German dubbed GuP is superior.

Justin Garcia
Justin Garcia

Shit taste confirmed

Caleb Gomez
Caleb Gomez

No. No it's not.

Jeremiah Lewis
Jeremiah Lewis

I listen to a lot of anime music and Garupan stands the test of repeated listening better than most.
Your statement reeks of Blanket Dismissal Syndrome wherein the necessary effort required of critical analysis is short circuited by emotionally driven cognitive disengagement.

The key phrase in your post:

you hear the same shit in every anime

is a dead giveaway of Blanket Dismissal Syndrome.

Angel Martin
Angel Martin

Trains

Sebastian Hughes
Sebastian Hughes

I've listened to a lot of anime music too, whats your point?
Maybe you just have lower standards, or different tastes, and that's fine, but I personally really fucking dislike GuP's music, and I find it painfully generic.

Samuel Harris
Samuel Harris

While I love GuP the speed at which that tiger's turret traverses is horrifyingly wrong. I realize that I shouldn't expect accuracy from anime but the nips could at least do a simple google search.

Daniel Howard
Daniel Howard

Is all the purple on Pravda deck space or what?

Ian Cruz
Ian Cruz

Painfully generic?
No.
But in saying that it reaffirms the point that you are no longer able to distinguish the qualities that make it stand out in its genre.
The problem isn't in the song list for this particular anime; you're just tired of the genre itself.

Michael Bell
Michael Bell

these are free?

http://utahiroba.blog.jp/
http://famousemusic.blog.jp/
http://musicparadise.blog.jp/
http://otootooto.blog.jp/

Thomas Nelson
Thomas Nelson

I've listened to a lot of anime music too,
At least 10, right?

Joseph Clark
Joseph Clark

Holy shit, its just a mediocre anime OP, stop treating it like its Stravinsky or Huey Lewis and The News.
For your information, I happen to like a lot of J-pop, particularly Chisato Moritaka, Toshiki Kadomatsu, Fire Bomber, Yasuko Agawa, amongst others.

Adam Nguyen
Adam Nguyen

Are you in the right thread?

Dylan Morgan
Dylan Morgan

user, just acept that you've got shit taste and stop trying to force it upon others.

Tyler Nelson
Tyler Nelson

the "pretending to be retarded" excuse.

a classic.

he says while upholding ENTER ENTER MISSION as an example of "great" anime music
go back to your /ak/ hugbox.

Jason Mitchell
Jason Mitchell

You probably had to google all of those.
You seem to lack an argument beyond "y-you just have shit taste!"

Daniel Gomez
Daniel Gomez

You're making TWO mistakes in a single post, user.

First, you're mistaking that "it's not the same not to know about some factoid when writting a story, than knowing it, yet willfully ignoring it because of actual plot reasons" is an, I quote, "excuse". That clearly marks your knowledge of literature and writting as insuficient. Let's just say that it's a perfectly valid literary technique that dates all the way back to Homer and leave it at that.

Second, you are mistaking the user you're quoting in the later part of your post with the user you were arguing with before. As if it was inconceivable that two persons could be having a different opinion than you. The post beneath you is either the proof that you're wrong, or that you're a samefag. I won either way.

John Adams
John Adams

Is English your second language?

Your writing style seems very stiff and unnatural, like you're trying way too hard to sound educated and "cultured".

Carson James
Carson James

Except that GuP ED > Haifuri ED. You can say whatever you like about OP, but you're a faggot if thinking Haifuri ED is superior compared to GuP ED

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page