What's the most disappointing anime ever made? Not the shittiest, but something...

John Butler
John Butler

What's the most disappointing anime ever made? Not the shittiest, but something people looked forward to that blew up in everyone's faces so hard that all discussion of it died once it finished airing?

Hunter Clark
Hunter Clark

SAO

Kiznaiver if we're only talking about currently airing stuff.

Oliver Price
Oliver Price

people looked forward to SAO

Who? Why?

Isaac Clark
Isaac Clark

I don't recall anyone really looking forward to SAO.

KnK however was the biggest thing people wanted to see KyoAni animate. And then they did.

Camden Reed
Camden Reed

Ninja Slayer? that's the most recent one I can remember

Luis Sanders
Luis Sanders

Ninja Slayer not being anything but a 10

I don't really know if Charlotte can be called a disappointment since a lot of people were expecting to be a train wreck, but even so, I don't think anyone expected it to be that bad.

Hudson Young
Hudson Young

OreImo? All normal discussion died and all that stayed is a few incestfags image dumping.

Julian Gutierrez
Julian Gutierrez

For me, macross delta is the disappointment of this season.

Xavier Nguyen
Xavier Nguyen

Not the greatest, but personally: KanColle. I'll say that the more of a fan the franchise they are, the more they hated the anime. Not only was it insultingly bad, it sold like hotcakes. Brand name loyalty and all that.

Sebastian Martinez
Sebastian Martinez

LNfag hype back in the day.

Nowadays the only discussion it generates is false flags trying to start fist fights with the people with extreme hatred towards SAO and those who know its bad but think the rage has gotten old

Death Parade?

Ethan Harris
Ethan Harris

Are you looking for something that was disappointing after a promising couple episodes? ( Rolling Girls)

Or something that was disappointing after exciting promo materials. (Guilty Crown)

Or something that was disappointing because earlier stuff in the franchise? (PsychoPass s2)

Or something that was disappointing because it was a bad adaption? (Umineko)

Nathan Reyes
Nathan Reyes

Eden of the East was the most disappointing series I can remember watching. It was so close to being great, but its ending was just fucking nothing.

Sebastian Nguyen
Sebastian Nguyen

Ninja Slayers is literally GOAT

Isaac Wood
Isaac Wood

I was really hyped for Sousei no Aquarion because of the great insert song. OST is usually a good indicator of how much I will enjoy a series, but that time it totally didn't work out.

No idea about dying discussion though, since I don't watch seasonal.

Jonathan Mitchell
Jonathan Mitchell

Death Parade

Jackson Bailey
Jackson Bailey

Akame Ga Kill (Kiru). I used to see threads over that everywhere. What happened? I didn't expect everyone else here to drop the series even though I did.

Caleb Peterson
Caleb Peterson

What do you watch? There is only so long that you can run on old Anime before you have to turn to seasonals. I assume you are new?

Nicholas Gray
Nicholas Gray

For me personally it's IBO.
I won't ever forget how I went from genuine hype and calling anyone who complained about the pacing a retard with ADHD who can't keep his attention if there aren't flashy lights on screen before episode 7 to bitter jaded hatred for the show after the Dort arc started.

Isaac Smith
Isaac Smith

Angel Beats was trash.

SAO turned into shit when the girl was older for some reason. Completely unnecessary shit.

Aaron Gray
Aaron Gray

I'll say that the more of a fan the franchise they are, the more they hated the anime
I feel the similarly about Idolmaster. Especially CG. Honestly, discussing the show on western and japanese forums is like night and day.

And yet ironically, I become exactly what I hate with KanColle, since I never played the games and more or less enjoyed the anime.

Logan Turner
Logan Turner

It worked well for me for what I estimate to be around 10 years. There is a ton of old shows, man. We are talking the entire history of japanese animation here.

Isaac Sullivan
Isaac Sullivan

Anime so bad it killed all interest in the manga

Mason Garcia
Mason Garcia

Anime filler end and manga going too far into kill counts/Budo getting wrekt by Mine.

I get AgK is supposed to be a love letter and mockery to all the dumb people who wanted a generic shonen with a mutual death count for the good and bad guys but it reduced the cast to the most boring people

Ninja Slayer was less interesting to ironic post about.

Isaiah Fisher
Isaiah Fisher

Sometimes I honestly forget that an Umineko anime even happened.

John Cooper
John Cooper

No one talking about how disappointing zankyou no terror. I'm mad forever honestly

Asher Gutierrez
Asher Gutierrez

Gundam Build Fighters Try was so bad that after the midpoint of the show the generals were literally 800 threads of nothing but anger.

Noah Anderson
Noah Anderson

This is pretty high on the disappointment list.
Don't know how it fell apart so fast.

Adrian Williams
Adrian Williams

Fucking this. That series had everything. Great op, awesome mystery, Peters. And then, it was fucking destroyed by that god forsaken ending

Luis Parker
Luis Parker

Kyoukai no Kanata?

I was a fan even before the anime was announced.

Jack Watson
Jack Watson

GOD EATER
Can ufo do something - anything - without TM? No.

Dragon Ball Super
Toei and Toriyama take a shit; modern DB fans smear it all over themselves and love it.

Phantom World
KyoAnifags trying to 'save' battleharems. Failure and immediate evacuation of threads to only waifuwars.

IBO
Gundam with no Gundams.

From the last few seasons that I can recall.

Blake Cruz
Blake Cruz

The answer can only be Basquash.

Jose Morgan
Jose Morgan

Rinne no Lagrange.

It started off so wonderful, but they could never leave the town and got stupid.
Still had a fucking incredible soundtrack though.
MARU

Lincoln Roberts
Lincoln Roberts

All it took was one girl to derail the show.

Seems more like modern DB and the craziest apologists for Super

Andrew Thomas
Andrew Thomas

Rolling Girls

Literally the only thing disappointing about Rolling Girls was the fact it wasn't 2-cour, despite having numerous potential stories still to be told. Everything else was perfect, it was easily the best show I've seen in years.

Camden Walker
Camden Walker

I enjoyed it because I knew exactly what it was going to be like going into it. You could see Five on all the promo art and could tell she was going to be a cheesy rival unless you are completely genre blind.

Camden Phillips
Camden Phillips

Anything made by toei in the past 4 years

Bentley Sullivan
Bentley Sullivan

First episode of Rolling Girls made a bunch of nerds think it's going to be the Kill la Kill of anime so they got pretty mad when that didn't happen.

Hudson Harris
Hudson Harris

the Kill la Kill of anime

Brody Hill
Brody Hill

guarantee the new Berserk anime flops in every way

Liam Moore
Liam Moore

neon genenis prob

Elijah Gomez
Elijah Gomez

cgi boat
It's already doomed.

Andrew Nguyen
Andrew Nguyen

Why did they have to go CGI again. And not even good CGI, just really abnoxious and distracting "artistic" CGI

Brody Ramirez
Brody Ramirez

the kill la kill of anime

Nathaniel Turner
Nathaniel Turner

Honestly, I was just hoping that it would have way better production.

Then Wit reminded us they're terrible at scheduling.

Ian Hill
Ian Hill

You're not fooling anyone.

Jordan Wright
Jordan Wright

Put your name back on.

Ethan Wilson
Ethan Wilson

Cant speak for the other two

Joshua Price
Joshua Price

cgi boat
Now you're giving me Bantorra flashbacks.

Dylan Smith
Dylan Smith

You never heard someone use the phrase "X is the Evangelion of anime"? It was supposed to be a joke. I was saying people expected it to be the next Kill la Kill. I thought that was pretty obvious. I'm sorry, I won't try to be funny anymore.

Aaron Sullivan
Aaron Sullivan

Holy shit you're unironically the biggest faggot I've seen on this board FUCKING KILL YOURSELF

Dominic Smith
Dominic Smith

japan only has experience in making CG mecha and cute girls. everything else is uncharted territory.

Oliver Myers
Oliver Myers

You know, the Cadillac of automobiles. The Madoka of Evangelion. Or you could assume that user forgot KlK was anime, because you can't comprehend sarcasm, which would mean you really ought to lurk more.

phone posters
Of course you wouldn't get it.

Grayson Roberts
Grayson Roberts

Who are you talking too?

Ryder Bennett
Ryder Bennett

And your better because you post on what, a laptop? A desktop? What does it even matter

Caleb Jackson
Caleb Jackson

C(rap)GI
Can't wait for the manimefag tears

Ethan Collins
Ethan Collins

Don't mind him, he's just trying to fit in like all the other cool kids on Sup Forums.

Oliver Perez
Oliver Perez

I want to see what it covers, but I'm not hyped at all. Just posting that hurts me

Nolan Lewis
Nolan Lewis

I just wanted characterization instead a fucking war with incopetent shitheads, fuck they wasted potential in kiritsugu and waver.

Also Kirei fucking sucks, he is supposed to be bad since the beginning, not becoming bad in the middle of the fucking "war".
GDI urobuchi.

People will defend this shit with a lot of MAL-tier arguments but you all know why this is so bad so stop parroting other people memes.

This and KnK6 are the worst thing Ufo has ever done, even God eater was enough good for a shitty monhun copy game adaptation

William Perez
William Perez

You sound like one of those people who defends streaming and generals.

Jack Wilson
Jack Wilson

Nice assumptions buddy, i refuse to stream even if it means waiting a little longer and i hate generals

Alexander Jackson
Alexander Jackson

Good news, Guts already has his eye and arm missing in the PV so it takes place somewhere after the whole Apostle thing

Alexander Brooks
Alexander Brooks

watch it for Gil only

Jacob Phillips
Jacob Phillips

Kill la Kill had such a promising start, and it wasn't absolutely awful, but it just didn't deliver on the massive hype it brought in the beginning.

Lincoln Davis
Lincoln Davis

I think you mean Ninja Resurrection.
Here's some narration about a bunch of crazy niggas but lets focus on two
Oh fuk, Satan is Japanese and he's killing ever-
The end

Luis Martinez
Luis Martinez

I liked Rolling Girls. It played you on the expectations of seeing overpowered guys beating up the shit out of everything, but it ended up as kind of a show about perfectly normal girls doing jobs that normally "superheroes" do. Also rushed ending since the show was overanimated and budget was tight.

John Anderson
John Anderson

You say you wanted characterization, but then bitch that Kirei was characterized instead of just being evil from the beginning? I don't even understand what you're arguing.

Gabriel Long
Gabriel Long

It covers the conviction arc but no idea how much of it.

Mason Ward
Mason Ward

KLK was probably the most disappointing anime ever made. It got to a point when the show would basically blueball itself out of its own action scenes and the main character literally took a backseat to her own clothes in the end while the co-protagonist did nothing.

Owen Lewis
Owen Lewis

Zvezda was pretty disappointing. Great designs, potentially great setting and plot, decent animation too, but it was wasted on shitty episodic filler type comedy nonsense and half assed drama.

Adrian Cox
Adrian Cox

The only one that I can remember is Kiznaiver, and that's only because it's airing right now, it's like Glasslip 2.0

Carter Perry
Carter Perry

It matters because phoneposting allows people to post from outside their house and while waiting in between other things, which gives them a higher proportion of normalfags and shitposters who see Sup Forums as just a way to waste time and don't actually care about it.
I'm not the guy who called you out, by the way.

James Wood
James Wood

The fights look pretty.

Leo Martin
Leo Martin

It's 4 a.m. im obviously posting from bed. Did he just not understand context? I could maybe understand if it was mid day when most /a/utists would be browsing from a desktop but im pretty sure most everyone on Sup Forums right now is either on a laptop or phone

Benjamin Rogers
Benjamin Rogers

KnK
People should state which KnK they are talking about

Leo Gutierrez
Leo Gutierrez

He supposed to be bad since he was born, all his life wanted to do really bad things to people in general because that makes him feel pleasure, actually that's the only way for him to feel pleasure. Since he was a kid he realized this so he restrained his true feelings all his life, then Fuyuki Ritual happened and he was allowed to de bad things for the first time in his life, he was supposed to rejoice himself in this setting.

Instead we got a plain character that had a harsh life doing some amazing things, in Zero he is portrayed as a "Normal" person who becomes bad for the sake of himself instead of being bad since the beginning without him being enable and allowed to change.

I'm pretty sure urobuchi didn't read the VN while writting Zero nor at least didn't understand the characters at all.

Jacob Ward
Jacob Ward

KnK wasn't bad at all though, it's a weird meme that got started here to shit on it. It wasn't amazing or as great as people wanted it to be but it was mediocre at worst. People only attack it because it was Kyoani and a hype got built up.

Wyatt Anderson
Wyatt Anderson

Captain Earth.

Bones doing Original mecha? I thought sure this is gonna be good and it turned out to be trash.

Landon Bailey
Landon Bailey

Well, to be honest it didn't have the potention to begin with it.

It was a more centered in the romantic issues than the actual plot.
also
That kiss at the end of chapter 18

best romantic scene in the last five years.

Isaac Edwards
Isaac Edwards

fuck
potential*
Also
Pic related is the most recently "wasted potential: the manga"

Wyatt Hill
Wyatt Hill

At least we are getting a new Hirasawa track, so maybe it won't flop in the music department

Jackson Parker
Jackson Parker

that's episode 20 user

Justin Ramirez
Justin Ramirez

this

Jonathan Clark
Jonathan Clark

Definitely not fractale, it saved the industry afterall.

Jacob Cooper
Jacob Cooper

Persona Trinity Soul was a major disappointment. I still somewhat enjoyed it but boy did it fall short of expectation.

Carson Watson
Carson Watson

A/Z didn't disappoint everyone, it actively pissed them off.

Carter Perez
Carter Perez

Phantom World
Its turn out alright near the end. The characters grow on me.

Xavier Cox
Xavier Cox

but something people looked forward to that blew up in everyone's faces

Who had high expectations of this? The most discussion was about NTR.

all discussion of it died once it finished airing?

Like 99% of seasonal anime.

SAO had a lot of hype from the typical "I-it's actually good!" LN crowd.

Brody Kelly
Brody Kelly

Oh god I remember being really sleepy while watching this.

Jonathan White
Jonathan White

It's actually kind of depressing

Logan Gutierrez
Logan Gutierrez

something people looked forward to that blew up in everyone's faces so hard that all discussion of it died once it finished airing?

Literally Kill la Kill

As soon as everyone got off the ride, it vanished.

Adrian Ward
Adrian Ward

Fucking this.
Everyone hyped the fuck out of it, and it fell short. Almost as bad as SnK.

Nathan Green
Nathan Green

A lot of sequels are disappointing if only because they're not a good as the first season without really being that bad, like DtB2.

Nathaniel Cook
Nathaniel Cook

I can attest to being highly disappointed by this

Jose Stewart
Jose Stewart

The fuck is DtB2?

John Peterson
John Peterson

God, they had pretty much everything they needed for this to not suck. And then it pretty much shat itself after episode 1. The threads were so full of disappointment

Dominic Hernandez
Dominic Hernandez

Darker than Black 2.

Blake Perez
Blake Perez

It's a meme you dolt.

Lucas Taylor
Lucas Taylor

Fuck you. DtB2 was so bad no one should even pretend to forget it. Let it burn in memory forever.

Hunter Evans
Hunter Evans

Newfag here, what's MAL?

Jordan Taylor
Jordan Taylor

For me it was Zankyou no Terror. Watanabe + Yoko Kanno should have been a recipe for success but the shitty writing and lack of a sense of what was going to happen ended up sinking it.

People like to blame Five (and that's fair) but for me I thought the main disappointment was how Twelve turned from unpredictable manipulative weirdo into generic everybishie with a crush. I was hoping for a big dramatic turn when Lisa realized she was just being used and he didn't love her, and possibly lashing out at them or betraying them or something, but I guess that would have been too interesting.

Anyways this show for me is the perfect example of bad writing.

Mason Brown
Mason Brown

We need to protect the future, user!

Blake Foster
Blake Foster

IBO because of wack pacing, shallow uninteresting characters, incompetent joke antagonists and a laughable political plot. It had promise at the start too.
Kudelia caught the "magic voice" power and now she barely has to do anything but make a speech to get everyone to stop fighting and can end equality instantly. This passive kind of heroine who acts more as a plot device is so boring. I wish they would stop shoving in a "political" side in mecha if they are going to half ass it.

Ryder Smith
Ryder Smith

That didn't disappoint me because I didn't expect much from that particular director/writer combo anyway. Dropped that shit in like episode 7

Justin Barnes
Justin Barnes

Selector Spread WIXOSS

Season 1 ends with an implied Madoka ending being faked out for a season 2 creating impossible levels of hype
Season 2 ends with Madoka ending

Ian Peterson
Ian Peterson

not posting from phone while tucked in bed hugging normie petite qt gf for maximum comfy vibes

Caleb Watson
Caleb Watson

Not made yet, but FLCL season 2

Brandon Sanchez
Brandon Sanchez

Fuck off.

David Butler
David Butler

Charlotte and Glasslip.

They were both anime originals by PA works. Which on it's own should generate a lot of hype.

The worst part was that Charlotte wasn't even that bad pretimetravel.

Josiah Carter
Josiah Carter

Eh, for me ZnT was interesting because it was like watching SAC from the perspective of the Laughing Man.

Albeit with a writing quality much lower than expected.

Dominic Foster
Dominic Foster

PA Works and Mari Okada need to end their feud already. Neither of them can function without the other.

William Scott
William Scott

Dog days s3. Such a lettdown after the previous seasons.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page