What do people like about this show? Pretty much everyone I know loves it but...

Nathaniel Thomas
Nathaniel Thomas

What do people like about this show? Pretty much everyone I know loves it but after watching 7 or 8 episodes I'm not seeing the appeal at all. When does this get good?

All urls found in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3deSWuO58
http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/08/04/imperfect-beings-hunter-x-hunter-and-the-chimera-ant/
Jordan Thompson
Jordan Thompson

The biggest thing many people hate about this show is the fact it takes like 39 eps to be different from other shonen and the time investment might not even pay off. If you're not in love with it now just drop it since you probably won't like the "great" parts.

Chase Scott
Chase Scott

When does this get good?
Chapter 1.

Isaiah Richardson
Isaiah Richardson

inb4 99 fags show up

Jason Perez
Jason Perez

Why? This isn't one of your father's oversea business trips.

Gabriel Clark
Gabriel Clark

Lol no. So far it seems like generic shonen protags on a generic shonen quest in a generic shonen universe with average art and unmemorable music.

I've yet to have anything strike me as terrible, but right now there's nothing pushing me to watch more.

Dominic Cox
Dominic Cox

SHOTS FIRED
If you don't like it then don't watch it.
You don't have to try so hard to like it just because other people do.

Luis Ortiz
Luis Ortiz

It doesn't have a dramatic start or obvious direction, it just builds up the world, characters, backstory and everything like that as it goes.
In general, each arc ends up better than the last.

Lucas Torres
Lucas Torres

It's a shounen but actually well written. If that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, drop it. The series does eventually reach seinen level content with the Chimera Ant and subsequent arcs, but I doubt you would even enjoy those if you didn't like what came before it.

Andrew Brown
Andrew Brown

You could read any sort of review or watch a video about the series to see why it's so beloved you know.

Jose Rogers
Jose Rogers

the beginning sucks

it gets better later

Joseph Richardson
Joseph Richardson

Personally it took about halfway through the hunters exam for me to really start liking it. before all I was going off was "just stick to it"

Hunter Cooper
Hunter Cooper

o i am laffin

Jeremiah Long
Jeremiah Long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3deSWuO58

Gavin Diaz
Gavin Diaz

Maybe you should trywatching more of it. The first arc is okay, the rest is pretty dope.

Camden Kelly
Camden Kelly

Don't watch it then if you're not compelled to continue. What's the point of this thread?
Kill yourself.

Asher Adams
Asher Adams

Kill yourself.
Kill yourself.

Christian Jenkins
Christian Jenkins

why do i see this thread literally every time i come to Sup Forums

Thomas Russell
Thomas Russell

If it being 'generic' is your issue, you have a chance of liking it in the end. The best thing about the series is how often it surprises you and subverts expectations, 2011 is particularly jarring because it has such a bright, cheerful atmosphere (a fault in the direction) until later arcs. But the start is fun regardless, it's just not anything noticeably different, so if you want it to be non stop 100% diverging from regular battle shounen you probably won't like it overall.

Levi Robinson
Levi Robinson

implying greed island was better than yorkshin.

Christopher Torres
Christopher Torres

148 episodes.
Not seeing the appeal after 7-8 episodes.
Really? If you're not gonna give it a fair chance why even bother.

But it was user, Yorknew had good fights but they were all short quick moments that you forgot and even though GI dragged for so fucking long it was more enjoyable.

Austin Turner
Austin Turner

The people who like it are basically people who like the idea of battle shounen but not the execution of most of them. If you don't like battle shounen at all you should just drop it.

Joshua Wright
Joshua Wright

Nigger what the fuck are you talking about? 2011 rushed and butchered Greed Island so much that it had less episodes than Yorkshin despite having more chapters in the manga.

Jackson Jenkins
Jackson Jenkins

There was no significant content cut out so I don't see what you're complaining about. Go and watch the Greed Island OVAs for a slow adaptation

Adrian Perry
Adrian Perry

we will never have a good greed island adaptation
Suffering

Brody Powell
Brody Powell

greed island will never be good in the manga or anime
feels good to not be a delusional huntard

Dominic Campbell
Dominic Campbell

yeah bro! one piece > hxh

Logan Myers
Logan Myers

yes one piece is better writing than hxh
Learn to accept your favorites's cartoon flaws and stop acting like a retarded kid

Thomas Smith
Thomas Smith

0/10, try harder to start a shitstorm faggot.

Christian Richardson
Christian Richardson

kys

Bentley Edwards
Bentley Edwards

Anyone who criticizes HxH must be a fan of the Big 3
Every single time.

Chase Martinez
Chase Martinez

Because Killua is cute, 90 point, Pika best girl, Alluka is the worst asspull, Gon is a psyco, Pitou is a boy, bungee gum has the properties os both rubber and gum, you can smile again...

Julian Morales
Julian Morales

what are you proving retard? one piece has better art character development pacings and less ass pulls than hunter.

Levi Campbell
Levi Campbell

These are most likely same faggots that start the one piss derails during all hxh threads.

Jack Collins
Jack Collins

Fuck off you retard.

Juan Gray
Juan Gray

Holy fuck kill yourself you autistic children, or at least stay on /v/ next time.

Gabriel Reed
Gabriel Reed

everyone I don't like is the same person

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson

Fuck off autist, Im not even the faggot that even derailed this thead.

Kevin Rodriguez
Kevin Rodriguez

So OP is basically saying his friends are all at least somewhat intelligent and hes that one retard that probably worships One Piece.

Lucas Flores
Lucas Flores

Nice thread OP, good job.

Easton Kelly
Easton Kelly

samefagging huntard detected

walls of text isnt good writing and yes OP is better

Evan Davis
Evan Davis

Or he's that one guy who actually reads things besides WSJ bullshit and has sort of decent taste at least in comparison.

Brody Wood
Brody Wood

seinen level content

William Lee
William Lee

If OP had good taste he would have an appreciation for the writing quality in HxH .

Grayson Williams
Grayson Williams

Like what? Fucking Tokyo Ghoul? Inb4 you post garbage manga that nobody's heard of.

Jayden Carter
Jayden Carter

implying

Isaac Taylor
Isaac Taylor

Just kys already

Jackson Flores
Jackson Flores

Yorkshin
Chimera Ant
Election
Dark Continent

Levi Walker
Levi Walker

If OP had good taste he would love everything I love

Henry Cook
Henry Cook

yeah it sucks

Bentley Campbell
Bentley Campbell

Yes. Just find that every HxH arc was a parody or subversion of anime or movies genres: Hunter Exam (Shounens), Heaven's Arena (Tournament Arcs), York Shin (Noire/Police-Drama), Greed Island (Card Games/Sports), Chimera Ants (Horror/Seinen), Dark Continent (exploration anime like OP). it's fucking art.

You're just fishing for replies.

Justin Jones
Justin Jones

If OP had good taste he would love everything I love

David Bennett
David Bennett

kill yourselves shonenfags

Easton Allen
Easton Allen

When will people learn that being purposeful isn't the same thing as being good?

Nathaniel Young
Nathaniel Young

edginess does not equal seinen, its the huntards like you that give hxh a bad reputation aswell as give the one piss faggots their false sense of superiority.
Fuck off.

Aiden Wood
Aiden Wood

Just wait until you see the properties of rubber and gum

Adam Lopez
Adam Lopez

HxH is shounen, idiot.

I only read ten manga so that means the other thousands don't count!

Isaiah Edwards
Isaiah Edwards

Implying Seinen is a level

I can feel your autism

Zachary Morales
Zachary Morales

I appreciate the effort, but you're not fitting in. I suggest maybe going to /r/anime. They're much more tolerant and love that guy.

Evan Williams
Evan Williams

seinen level

Love this meme.

Tyler King
Tyler King

HxH is shounen
It's a deconstruction of shounen.

Jeremiah Anderson
Jeremiah Anderson

Looks like you don't have the balls to post your Light Novels in a HxH thread. Wise choice..

Jaxson Morris
Jaxson Morris

It's a deconstruction of josei, actually. That's why everyone acts so gay.

Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper

I don't browse r/anime, but I do regularly post on r/hunterxhunter. Thank you for the suggestion, though--I'll check it out :)

Parker Sullivan
Parker Sullivan

Nice goggles fujoshit.

Joshua Cooper
Joshua Cooper

Ironic shitposting is just shitposting.

Liam Moore
Liam Moore

No, it's not, not at all. Why would you say that.

Dylan Reyes
Dylan Reyes

What the fuck are you babbling about? HxH is one of the best manga ever written, stepped beyond shounen boundaries into seinen territory years ago with the Chimera Ant arc. Are you going to even TRY making a criticism of the series or just continue shitposting?

Adrian Torres
Adrian Torres

It's a Shounen
I want a Faggot x Faggot chap

Joseph Harris
Joseph Harris

Leave him alone. He reads Light Novels so he's got a much better sense of " what's out there" . Rofl.

Jordan Fisher
Jordan Fisher

This isn't subtle.

Jace Lopez
Jace Lopez

Why would you say that
Can you name a single shounen trope that HxH plays completely straight?

Are you ignoring the CA arc where Togashi shit on the whole of shounen genre by deconstructing the most popular trope?

Here's your (You)

Jeremiah Barnes
Jeremiah Barnes

shounen is a genre

Brayden Myers
Brayden Myers

Funny how Tokyo Ghoul / Berserk babies refuse to acknowledge the Seinin elements of Chimera Ant. It wasn't edgy enough for you? Sorry maybe someone will get raped in DC arc.

Lincoln Nelson
Lincoln Nelson

this

Gavin Turner
Gavin Turner

It's a Shounen
http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/08/04/imperfect-beings-hunter-x-hunter-and-the-chimera-ant/

Lucas King
Lucas King

It gets good faggot, webm related is Gon near the end of the show

Tyler Perez
Tyler Perez

Just Kys with your forced meme

Sebastian Davis
Sebastian Davis

Gon dies
Killua gets a girlfriend
Kurapika impregnates Bisky and Oito
Leorio jacks off in a hotel room

Owen Roberts
Owen Roberts

shonenfag

Austin Harris
Austin Harris

DELETE THIS

Dominic Davis
Dominic Davis

HxH
shounen

Evan Jenkins
Evan Jenkins

/a/thread/141830945#p141830945
/a/thread/141830945#p141830945

Nathaniel Brown
Nathaniel Brown

Your fucking kidding me, a third hxh thread made due to the faggot one piss autists derailing this one.

Ayden Nelson
Ayden Nelson

False-flagging this obviously.

Isaiah Murphy
Isaiah Murphy

What?

Aiden Lopez
Aiden Lopez

It's published in shounen jump which is a shounen magazine thus it's shounen.

Jaxon Bennett
Jaxon Bennett

yeah except its whole point is to subvert the tropes of WSJ manga

its a seinen level of writing

Eli Jenkins
Eli Jenkins

They're really in full force today, it's some dedicated false flagging

Aiden Miller
Aiden Miller

HxH will never be as good as One Piece.

Discuss.

Isaac Watson
Isaac Watson

Everything hunter x hunter does is just like every other shounen. What the fuck are you smoking?

Luis Perry
Luis Perry

You were being genuine weren't you?

Isaac Clark
Isaac Clark

They're both shitty punchfests for kids. Discuss.

Ethan Morales
Ethan Morales

That's not how it works user, it doesn't matter if it is more mature, darker, well written or you like it better, it is a shounen

Blake Gonzalez
Blake Gonzalez

are you fucking stupid? it has no shounen similarities other than being long running. name one trope it plays straight and doesnt subvert

punchfest
literally one arc that ends with a fight
Kek

Parker Taylor
Parker Taylor

I know you're having fun shitposting, but try actually watching it.

Evan Mitchell
Evan Mitchell

People die in Naruto, too, you know. Doesn't really change anything.

Sebastian James
Sebastian James

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Brandon Brooks
Brandon Brooks

It's totally a shounen ai

Luis Myers
Luis Myers

Heres your (You).

Kayden Diaz
Kayden Diaz

so why is this show a deconstruction of shonen?

It's really not obvious to me where the parody is in it. Just because it has tropes in it that are in other shonen and it's a little less serious in tone doesn't make it a parody.

Are you sure you guys don't just like this show/manga so much that you want to give it a special title?

I'm 70 chapters in and there's really not much that distinguishes as being more "aware" than other shounens. I don't dislike it so far, but there's really nothing "sophisticated" about it so far.

Oliver Lee
Oliver Lee

There are more than two seinen, you know.

David Torres
David Torres

You do realize that all shounen continues into something much deeper than the original 3-4 characters and explores more emotional/thoughtful stories, right?
Like literally every single shounen?

Cooper Hughes
Cooper Hughes

i dropped it after they get licences. Will it become better? How long to this edgy isle arc?

Easton Gutierrez
Easton Gutierrez

Not the ones that get cancelled after five chapters.

Jaxson King
Jaxson King

It's not parodying anything, you're being baited. It does fuck with tropes a bit, but that's later in the series.

That said, you're just now starting the arc that makes people start thinking of it as 'different' to other battle shounen.

Jonathan Howard
Jonathan Howard

HxH's first arc is pretty bad.

I'd say it has good moments but otherwise it's plain bad, York Shin is where it gets decent.

David Davis
David Davis

Parody

You're fucking retarded.

Well, at least you didn't say deconstruction

Mason Davis
Mason Davis

HxH's first arc is pretty bad

What exactly about it is bad?

Carter Ross
Carter Ross

Chimera ants
villain is literally Cell
Gon has a hair-growing power-up
this is somehow a parody of seinen horror manga
What.

Connor Fisher
Connor Fisher

It's basically 90% good moments though. Starts off a bit boring but then you get the puzzles, the ball game with Netero, everything in trick tower, Gon hunting Hisoka, Hanzo vs Gon, Illumi's reveal, etc,

Cameron Diaz
Cameron Diaz

It's great. Until they abandon half the cast(you know the only interesting part of the cast) to go make a dragonball z remake.unfortunately that's the majority of it.

Hunter Hall
Hunter Hall

I watched bakemonogatari and think I'm DEEP

Ian Rodriguez
Ian Rodriguez

It starts out okay but only gets better with every arc

its also well written
inb4 "le read a book"

Anthony Campbell
Anthony Campbell

His hair only grew because of his rapid aging.

Aiden Gonzalez
Aiden Gonzalez

you know the only interesting part of the cast
muh ghost gang

Liam Martinez
Liam Martinez

saying the "x" in the title

How are people so damn unaware of this before uploading a 40 minute video onto the internet.

Adrian Reyes
Adrian Reyes

I don't see what that has to do with anything.

Luke Cruz
Luke Cruz

Its not a hair growing power up.

Aiden Gutierrez
Aiden Gutierrez

Haven't started on bakemonogatari since the setting looked uninteresting something that HxH has nailed. But i guess my post might come off a bit condescending. I think i would have liked HxH if it wasn't so damn hyped. People pump it up to be the end all be all of shonen when it's really just good shonen. Which i don't mind, i've watched naruto and dragonball z twice and liked them but i guess i wasn't waiting with the anticipation from them that i had with HxH.

Also kinda miffed that they basically threw away Kurapika who was for me the most interesting character with the most intriguing personality and issues.

Andrew Reyes
Andrew Reyes

gaudy colours even though it's night
speedlines out the wazoo

I wish the old anime got to do CA arc instead, would've been far more watchable.

Landon Wilson
Landon Wilson

It was just mocking your lack of taste or intellect.

i've watched naruto and dragonball z

But I don't see how I even have to try.

Alexander Reyes
Alexander Reyes

Yeah but it's execution that matters the most, Togashi's style is flawed but unconventional enough to stand out.

William Long
William Long

I could tell, I just felt the need to further justify my opinion as it might help people go into the show with better expectations of what they are throwing some 42 hours of their life at. People like OP.

Oliver Green
Oliver Green

I wish the old anime got to do CA arc instead, would've been far more watchable

God no. That is the worst idea anyone's ever thought of. Madhouse made the arc slow enough but Nippon would have made it so slow it'd be frozen in place. Imagine Chimera Ant, with filler. Ask yourself if you think that would be in any way okay.

Colton Long
Colton Long

Greed Island sucks apart from some moments

Michael Brown
Michael Brown

user, it's a power-up that results in his hair growing. The mechanism behind that doesn't matter.

Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson

Doesn't typing that make you cringe a little bit?

Jose Perez
Jose Perez

Greed Island was one of my favorite parts, I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion.
I like watching how characters develop their abilities in a step-wise way.
That's what The Gamer manwha only consists of only, and I love it.

Jackson Stewart
Jackson Stewart

Only in the anime.

Jacob King
Jacob King

I understand what people say. Sure, among the other shit shounen anime, it stands out and is different. But in itself, it's just boring.

Dominic Watson
Dominic Watson

if its the 90s version it should already be good. Though I did find some things a bit akward like how they don't really explain what it means to be a hunter, but everyone wants to be one. And even after they get the license you still don't figure out what it means to be a hunter until they give the explanation of Nen(aka all shonen special abilities)

As for 2011 It kinda goes too fast at the begining not really taking muvh time to establish things like the 90s version did. I never saw the 90s greed island arc, but I can't imagine it being better than 2011s.

Ayden Miller
Ayden Miller

Wth happened to that manhwa it came out every week or so and then it just stopped for like a month, at least at the place i had my rss feed.

Aaron Jackson
Aaron Jackson

If you don't like a show after 7 or 8 episodes, just drop it. Do I have to hold your hand now, too?

Nathaniel Jackson
Nathaniel Jackson

At least the pacing, OST and animation would've been good.

Charles Morris
Charles Morris

Nah, what I meant was that the differences in characterization makes HxH stand out. I wasn't putting it on a pedestal, Togashi writes in many clich├ęs to his stories with some mixed results but executes them in his own way.

Elijah Cox
Elijah Cox

It just resumed recently, enjoy Gnome's new level up form.

Jaxon Hill
Jaxon Hill

2011 OST for Chimera Ant was actually good. What was bad was the director's usage of it. Yeah the animation would have been good, but that's hardly enough to make up for what they would do to the arc's pacing. People already consider the CA arc's pacing a con in the manga which is the quickest paced version of the arc. A Nippon adaptation of the arc would take it's most significant flaw and kick it into omega drive. Good animation and better soundtrack usage wouldn't mean much in the wake of that disaster.

Austin Myers
Austin Myers

Its like One Piece if One Piece wasn't shit.

Evan Hughes
Evan Hughes

I can't see any issue with the CA arc pacing in the manga. It's a very quick read, and while it's painful to experience time slowing down and jumping between storylines in the anime, that's because it's consuming a lot of real time. The events themselves are not slow paced.

Joshua Cooper
Joshua Cooper

Its literally nothing like one piece its more like yuyu hakusho for obvious reasons

John Martinez
John Martinez

I like the 90s version more, but it really would be unbearable. I barely made it through the 2011 version I dont think I could take chimera ants plus an extra 20-50 episodes of filler and general molasses pace.

Anthony Jackson
Anthony Jackson

The HxH fanbase is just as cancerous as Naruto's at this point.

Wyatt Ortiz
Wyatt Ortiz

His fingernails didn't grow tho.

Charles Sanchez
Charles Sanchez

Nowhere near Wan Piss levels yet, though.

Hunter Miller
Hunter Miller

The 1st arc is the most generic but it later arcs are amazing.

Benjamin Price
Benjamin Price

You haven't been around long enough if you haven't realized that ALL popular shows have cancerous fanbase, especially Fate franchise.

Jacob Turner
Jacob Turner

I'll just leave this here for you OP

Juan Butler
Juan Butler

You consider 132 chapters a quick read?

Benjamin Rodriguez
Benjamin Rodriguez

Compared to actually watching it, yes, and there are a lot of characters and plotlines developed throughout the arc to keep the momentum.

Jose Ward
Jose Ward

every single villain in this is shit

Nathan Gutierrez
Nathan Gutierrez

Also kinda miffed that they basically threw away Kurapika who was for me the most interesting character with the most intriguing personality and issues.
He's a main character in the new arc.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page