Ethan Bell

Is she truly sentient?

All urls found in this thread:
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer2.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
http://www.dwavesys.com/d-wave-two-system
Evan Murphy
Evan Murphy

i dunno shes powered by a twist spring. are her insides more complex.

Dylan Powell
Dylan Powell

Define sentience

Nicholas Jones
Nicholas Jones

sentience
Sentience is the capacity to feel, perceive, or experience subjectively. Eighteenth-century philosophers used the concept to distinguish the ability to think (reason) from the ability to feel (sentience).

Logan Lee
Logan Lee

the ability to think (reason)
Also referred to as sapience.

So, since she is capable of perceiving and responding to external stimulus, she is obviously sentient.

Sapience is a much harder question since the foremost authorities in the field keep changing the criteria as we determine animals to meet the previous requirements, in order to avoid awkward questions about whether crows have rights.

Practical answer: sapience is exclusive to humans, everything else is just faking.

Ethan Gonzalez
Ethan Gonzalez

She uses very complex algorithms but no, she isn't. They explain it in the manga.

Joseph Williams
Joseph Williams

Also referred to as sapience.
Except it's not the same thing exactly. Sapience is more related to intelligence and wisdom, Nano can easily be called sapient as she was programmed well enough to act like a person, but sentient means they act and think for themselves (subjectively), we don't know from the anime if she sentient.

Brody Myers
Brody Myers

nano is a machine

Unless biological, she can't experience sapience.

Liam Davis
Liam Davis

Is it incorrect to call machines 'smart?' We're approaching a wonderful new era where Nanos will be walking around like it's nobody's business, taking all the good jobs and whatnot because of how good their programming is. Will it still be wrong to call them smart then? Speaking out of my ass here because I don't really know what sapience means.

Toasting in an epic bread, OP you're a fag.

Leo James
Leo James

You've misunderstood. Sentence is defined as the ability to feel, but the word is used in the context of physical sensation, not emotion. Sense as in the five senses, not sense as in common sense.

Camden Jenkins
Camden Jenkins

The human mind is just a computer anyways.

Evan Bailey
Evan Bailey

sentence

Just stop.

Joseph Hill
Joseph Hill

but is nano as complex and intricate as we are.

Dylan Sullivan
Dylan Sullivan

Go complain to whoever coded this autocorrect. Why they decided it should override technical terms with more common words is beyond me.

Evan Cox
Evan Cox

Eat my chrum

Jayden White
Jayden White

I GOT SOME FOR YOUR

Owen Reyes
Owen Reyes

I love this fatheaded ho.

Brayden Morgan
Brayden Morgan

Doubtful. Computers are an order of magnitude slower and less efficient than biological structures because they can only test between two states (current/no current) at the lowest level, while the brain has both electrical impulse and hundreds of different chemicals to exchange at every synapse at the same fundamental level. Machine code is stuck in binary or - maybe- trinary at best, the brain is coded in base ~1,000.

The only reason computers appear faster is because they can be hyperfocused on single tasks, which in a human context is called an autistic savant.

Dylan Morgan
Dylan Morgan

are we really sentient?

Julian Gomez
Julian Gomez

Try proofreading, you nimcompoop-ass nigga. lol

Jason Kelly
Jason Kelly

what about quantum computers.

Jonathan Gonzalez
Jonathan Gonzalez

Regardless of what we can currently do, there's still no denying that an advanced enough computer can theoretically become just as "alive" as a human mind.

Levi Reed
Levi Reed

good thread

William Collins
William Collins

Ask that again in 1000 years, if humanity lives that long

Alexander Wood
Alexander Wood

quantum computers are already a thing. i think thats how google image search works if im not mistaken.

Easton Morris
Easton Morris

have you played the talos principle.

Nolan Watson
Nolan Watson

i wonder if i am sentient

Jackson Brown
Jackson Brown

page or it didn't happen

Austin Perry
Austin Perry

if im not mistaken
Did you have any idea what you were saying in the first place? Because you couldn't be more wrong.

Wyatt Rivera
Wyatt Rivera

IIRC they only increase the number of possible states from 2 to 6, but due to the difficulty in measuring two of those states, it's more like 4~ish. Better methods of applying quantum theory to computer science will need to be found before there's really significant potential there.

Samuel Howard
Samuel Howard

fuck you. quantum computers are already around. google it

Aiden Brooks
Aiden Brooks

google it
Literally why don't you faggot before telling someone else to.
Quantum computers could one day replace silicon chips, just like the transistor once replaced the vacuum tube. But for now, the technology required to develop such a quantum computer is beyond our reach. Most research in quantum computing is still very theoretical.
-http://computer.howstuffworks.com/quantum-computer2.htm
As of 2016, the development of actual quantum computers is still in its infancy, but experiments have been carried out in which quantum computational operations were executed on a very small number of quantum bits
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing
oh fuck but you user I am right either way
Is exactly what you're going to say anyways (again) so why don't you go ahead and kill yourself if you can't participate in a discussion without being fully retarded.

Adam Thomas
Adam Thomas

cuck

Jaxson Gutierrez
Jaxson Gutierrez

Stop reading popsci articles.

Use this next time.

Caleb Wilson
Caleb Wilson

believes philosophy is relevant to science
But it is.

Nicholas Smith
Nicholas Smith

http://www.dwavesys.com/d-wave-two-system

Parker Gutierrez
Parker Gutierrez

I don't know the difference between Narrow, General and Strong AI

Luke Price
Luke Price

Cooled to 180x colder than interstellar space (0.015 Kelvin)
A lattice of 1000 tiny superconducting circuits, known as qubits, is chilled close to absolute zero to get quantum effects
What am I reading?

Kayden Ortiz
Kayden Ortiz

is a transhumanist
watches/reads sci-fi movies/books

a man can dream can he?

Logan Sullivan
Logan Sullivan

Keep on dreaming then.

Robert Green
Robert Green

Are you?

Jack Morgan
Jack Morgan

Technology is advancing in leaps, we have learned more in the last 100 years than all of human history. I have graphs YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

Jaxson Davis
Jaxson Davis

Take your graphs to /sci/ then report back with your findings.

Wyatt Thomas
Wyatt Thomas

post those graphs

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page