Legendary Voice Actress Megumi Hayishabara laments loss of originality

Joshua Sanders
Joshua Sanders

“Anime in the ‘90s was overflowing with ambition…Anime [today] which are trying to be similar to previous hits can never be better than the originals. Going forward, I want to be part of projects that aren’t trying to be ‘like’ something that came before.”

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/05/25/legendary-voice-actress-megumi-hayashibara-laments-derivative-anime-loss-of-1990s-ambition/

All urls found in this thread:
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/05/25/legendary-voice-actress-megumi-hayashibara-laments-derivative-anime-loss-of-1990s-ambition/
https://youtu.be/Q4nAnJAgfE8
https://youtu.be/k2IGRs2_a0Q
https://youtu.be/OM3sx2s-fj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HZ9wtJLOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ewBgbMo28
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/aboutanime.html
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/heroines.html
https://akiba-souken.com/anime/vote/v_419/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByiqLpt6kKg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHGz8tMZWSc
http://archive.nyafuu.org/c/thread/2640412/#2651069
Julian Hall
Julian Hall

Things were better before!
And in the 90s, Anno was saying the 80s were the golden age. And in the 80s, Miyazaki was saying it was the 50s. It never changes.

Connor Diaz
Connor Diaz

Oh yeah, she was Ranma and is still Jessie right?

Kevin Hall
Kevin Hall

She's right. I don't dislike anime these days, but it does get a bit repetitive.

Thomas Ross
Thomas Ross

Implying that was the point of her comment

Hudson Long
Hudson Long

can never be better than the originals
I blame all the butchered manga and LN adaptations.

Aaron Sullivan
Aaron Sullivan

Megumi Hayashibara was a mistake.

Levi Parker
Levi Parker

Still is Jessie, still gets tons of roles, has success as a singer.

She's concerned about how young seiyuus are "pumped and dumped" and are pseudo-idols, along with anime being deriative as fuck

Michael Butler
Michael Butler

What do you think her point was?

Matthew Wilson
Matthew Wilson

implying LNs can be worsened

Tyler Peterson
Tyler Peterson

Haruhi was better than Evangelion.

Aiden Miller
Aiden Miller

Whether it was her main point or not, it's clearly something she's claiming, and it's what OP is focusing on. Take your Costanza shit back to your homeboard.

John Jones
John Jones

It's funny because her most well known 90s role was "Ideon but with a pussy MC"

Anthony Phillips
Anthony Phillips

She's totally taking a dig at those shit LNs adaptation isn't she.

Henry Long
Henry Long

https://youtu.be/Q4nAnJAgfE8
https://youtu.be/k2IGRs2_a0Q
https://youtu.be/OM3sx2s-fj8

Why is she so perfect?

Ayden Rodriguez
Ayden Rodriguez

They weren't necessarily saying the past was better, just that the present wasn't.

Jacob Morris
Jacob Morris

I don't see any reason to believe she means that in specific.

Jaxon Turner
Jaxon Turner

Most adaptations could probably raise LNs into at least something watchable if the people making them actually put any effort. Also battle harems are a dead genre, it's possible for any of them to be good by design.

Ryder Turner
Ryder Turner

People know her for being Lina fucking Inverse and Ranma as well

Aaron King
Aaron King

No, they all are. Hayashibara's saying 90s had more ambition, Anno said that people had been rehashing stuff for about a decade (this in 1996), and Miyazaki specifically said that the 80s were shit compared to the 50s.

Cooper Roberts
Cooper Roberts

was

Perhaps there was a millisecond in history when that was true. Probably just before the writer wrote the first kanji.

Brayden Wilson
Brayden Wilson

most well known != only

Juan Fisher
Juan Fisher

I haven't read that about Miyazaki, where did he say it?

Jayden Howard
Jayden Howard

She's my seiyuufu

Noah Lee
Noah Lee

Obviously they can't all be right, but they aren't necessarily all wrong either.
Maybe ups and downs, highs and lows, gradients in quality, originality, or spirit, aren't just a myth?
Food for thought.

Lucas Gray
Lucas Gray

That's just my bias talking. I default boring and unoriginal=LN adaptations.

Gabriel Walker
Gabriel Walker

You really can't get any better.

Brody Myers
Brody Myers

She's concerned about how young seiyuus are "pumped and dumped" and are pseudo-idols,

That's certainly a thing

Remember when Mai Nakahara was the hot shit? Or Rie Kugimiya? Or even Kana Hanazawa?

Noah Wood
Noah Wood

Anno said that people had been rehashing stuff for about a decade
Well he isn't wrong

Gabriel Evans
Gabriel Evans

Because battle shounen and sports shounen and shoujo romance and SoL and mecha and harem manga adaptations are all hotbeds of constant creativity? I mean, I'm not trying to say that LN adaptations are, obviously, but the majority of the industry being forgettable is just how it works - if LNs disappeared you'd just get more forgettable things of different stripes.

Wyatt Long
Wyatt Long

And now M.A.O

Jose Morris
Jose Morris

She's concerned about how young seiyuus are "pumped and dumped" and are pseudo-idols, along with anime being deriative as fuck
She's right.

Nolan Sullivan
Nolan Sullivan

Hanakana is still hot shit.

Cameron Harris
Cameron Harris

I love her so fucking much she's flawless

she sang Rakugo's OP

Holy shit literally how did I miss this, I used to be legitimately crazy over what she did back when she was active, and I still love listening to her music.

If anyone's curious to hear more of her music thats similar to Rakugo's OP listen to these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HZ9wtJLOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ewBgbMo28

Kayden Sullivan
Kayden Sullivan

God I want to pump and dump a seiyuu

Brody Thomas
Brody Thomas

Rei - Evangelion
Ai Haibara - Conan /Case Closed
Faye - Cowboy Bebop
Lina Inverse - Slayers
Anna - Shaman King
Jessie - Pokemon
Female Ranma

Among others like Sophia from Cross Ange or Rebecca from One Piece.

Joshua Perry
Joshua Perry

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/aboutanime.html
And in this one he complains about lolicons and anime, also in the 80s. http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/interviews/heroines.html

Jayden Murphy
Jayden Murphy

She's okay I guess

Liam Adams
Liam Adams

Tangentially, I think it's funny how he complained about mecha anime before the 70s were even over.

Sebastian Green
Sebastian Green

I haven't seen that one, source?

Brandon Flores
Brandon Flores

Anime [today] which are trying to be similar to previous hits can never be better than the originals.
Not true. 00 > Original gundam

I want to be part of projects that aren’t trying to be ‘like’ something that came before.”
What else is there? Can anyone think of a series that can't be seen as similar in some way to another? She's just being an autist like Sup Forums, which is sad cause I liked her roles and songs.

Justin Baker
Justin Baker

Anime is not as original as it was when 1000 less shows existed
No shit is going to be harder to come up with an original idea after 20 years.

Elijah Powell
Elijah Powell

I don't know why you're so curious about my taste but okay. I'll tell you what I think about other genre too.
Shonen=skippable but can be fun
Sports=too gay for me
shoujo/romance=no interest whatsoever
Harem=shit
Mecha=just gay enough for me
Sol=love it

Guess I to me, only LN adaptations are boring and forgettable.

Leo Baker
Leo Baker

Going forward, I want to be part of projects that aren’t trying to be ‘like’ something that came before
Fucking self-entitled VAs who don't have to worry about a burger-flipping salary and shit not selling

Jason Edwards
Jason Edwards

Kagerou Daze isn't similar to anything.

Adam Phillips
Adam Phillips

I'm not talking about your taste - those genres are all full of derivative works and reused cliches. Whether you like those cliches or not, they are not very original genres.

Jose Reyes
Jose Reyes

I'll try and find it.

In the interview you posted, and this is sort of semantics, he specifies that he's talking about the few works that inspired him both in and out of Japanese animation; not the anime industry as a whole. Ah, whatever.

It is funny that both him and Anno dislike Disney.

Cameron Ward
Cameron Ward

You don't understand.
She means series intentionally want to be like something that came before.
Of course series are similiar, but she wants that it's not done intentionally and that producers come up with something themselves instead of creating a series BECAUSE they WANT it to be like something that already exists.

Easton Perry
Easton Perry

it doesn't take a genius to conceptualize a series that's better and more original than the entirety of this season

Matthew Cook
Matthew Cook

Anime back then was better, let my prove my point by giving you examples of some amazing shows from the past 50 years, never mind the endless list of duds and flops from that time. See? This is why anime is better because I'm comparing 50 years worth of anime history to the last 5-10 years of modern anime

Every 'anime back then was better' argument ever.

Jose Brooks
Jose Brooks

Shounen
Shoujo
genres

Nicholas Wood
Nicholas Wood

Megumi Hayishabara paid her dues, user. She earned the burger flipping salary and had to suffer through derivative shit

Now her time is worth something and she has the luxury of choosing what project to pick

That's fucking great. I'd rather die than see the voice of Lina Inverse play a haremette like Megumin

William Roberts
William Roberts

So something like, I dunno, Luluco, would be considered an improvement?

Jaxon Jones
Jaxon Jones

She earned the burger flipping salary and had to suffer through derivative shit

Yeah, the suffering of voicing fucking Rebecca.

Dominic Thomas
Dominic Thomas

That studios don't have the ambition to take risks like before. That they'd rather stick to a formula or aesthetic that will yield them a nice safe profit.

It's ok, I hear that autistic people have trouble on picking up on things like this.

Sebastian Baker
Sebastian Baker

Yes, but there weren't exactly a lot of anime in the 1950s to begin with. I get the impression he's largely talking about the movies Toei did at the end of the 50s/early 60s, starting with Hakujaden, which he mentions. I'm also basing that off of some other interviews on that site from the 80s/90s where he basically blames the weekly TV production model.

Ian Bailey
Ian Bailey

Okay? That's cool. Don't care either way.

That doesn't have anything to do with me explaining my bias though.

Leo Hall
Leo Hall

Rebecca makes me think that Oda legitimately just hates woman

Jose Fisher
Jose Fisher

seeing as you clearly didn't read what she said, i'll point it out for you that none of that was even implied even once in her entire interview.

Easton Edwards
Easton Edwards

They're certainly are a ton of anime every season that are just trying to mimic the popularity of series before. But there are still some series that try to be original, too.

Is that really any different than anime has ever been?

Jace Nguyen
Jace Nguyen

It becomes less of a comparison at that point, I think, and more of an unaffiliated complaint about the current industry. But like I said, it's semantics.

Anyway, here's the quote I was talking about:

In Japan today, animated TV shows filled with all kinds of fancy, robotlike ,mechanical creations are all the rage. I have certainly drawn lots of mecha, or mechanical things, myself. but the general theme in currently popular shows seems to be that the protagonist jumps on a giant machine he couldn’t possible have created on his own, battles the enemy in it, and then boasts about winning. I frankly hate these kind of shows. I don’t care what types of robots are featured. For me, in a truly successful mecha show the protagonist should struggle to build his own machine, he should fix it when it breaks down, and he should have to operate it himself.

Hayao Miyazaki, 1979 (Starting Point)

Ryder Perez
Ryder Perez

Actually, wait, it's the same interview.

Let's get back to Japanese anime. Japanese anime make manga into anime, use character designs of manga, absorb the vitality of manga, and are made by staff members who wanted to be manga writers. Of course, there are exceptions, but I think that this is pretty much the case in general. Before 1963, when the TV series (anime) started, there were other styles of Toei Animation Studio than manga, but the mass production of TV series and manga severed this tradition (of Toei style). Based on manga, Japanese anime started as TV series with weekly production schedules, which is overwhelmingly shorter than feature-length movies. Due to limited time and budget, the number of drawings had to be reduced as much as possible. The lack of staff brought the mass introduction of unskilled and inadequate workers. That wasn't limited to animators. It was the case for all the divisions including direction and script, and there was unprecedented padding and promotion of staff. The horrific thing is that this trend continued for 20 years.[5]

Eli Barnes
Eli Barnes

shit not selling

Anime isn't selling because it's derivative shit and even the low life otaku are catching on to that fact. She just wants higher quality shows.

Christopher Taylor
Christopher Taylor

You can list more good anime in the last 5 years alone than you can in the entirety of the 90s.

Alexander Harris
Alexander Harris

Miyazaki
Miyazaki's a huge nostalgiafag, what else is new.

Carter Carter
Carter Carter

Would a biweekly series be a good idea?

Ayden Jackson
Ayden Jackson

Exactly, I don't know why some seem to expect that a majority of the shows should be risky anime originals, that has never been the case and will never be the case. As you say, there are shows that go against the grain most every season in different ways, that usually do poorly.

Eli Phillips
Eli Phillips

Something was up with her in Oda's mind.
Even her name means something like "strong woman".
I guess there's no use in thinking about it, but I'm certain something was off with Oda creating her.

Mason Moore
Mason Moore

Rie was voicing every tsundere every season. Now she just does character voices she wants to do, and Shana isn't so hot anymore.

Kana Hana domination is still sort of around. Can't think of any seiyuu who has toppled her, at least

She's right about animu becoming more forgettable. People still remember Lum and Ranma and NGE and Slayers, but do they even remember ONII-SAMA REMEMBERS a few seasons later, or has his show merged together into this amorphous mass of sameness?

Jace Gonzalez
Jace Gonzalez

Best Hayashibara role right here.

Aaron White
Aaron White

they remember these four shows from twenty years apart, but do they even remember this one recent show?

Colton Thompson
Colton Thompson

Fuck the topic. Best seiyuu thread.

Best character:
Best OP:
Best ED:

Jack Martin
Jack Martin

it's another Sup Forums gets butthurt that accomplished industry professionals challenge their sheltered, ignorant gaijin opinions about anime thread

Xavier Bennett
Xavier Bennett

if the series is specifically structured to a biweekly schedule, sure, why not.
but with today's series barely managing to maintain a viewer's interest for a whole week it'd be counterintuitive for any series that isn't extraordinary or exceedingly well done to have that kind of format.

Caleb James
Caleb James

Being derivative is relatively low risk compared to taking a leap of faith, and both approaches can yield high rewards. So it's only natural that studios, who primarily are businesses and not some kind of charity art organizations, most often choose the low-risk method. Look at stuff like Anime no Chikara, or Yamakan's projects, their terrible sales and tell me why businesses should do that.

Joshua Perez
Joshua Perez

Katanagatari did pretty well, albeit with longer runtime (but not proportional to the release time).

Wyatt Price
Wyatt Price

Like sailor moon crystal?

Hunter Wood
Hunter Wood

I am sure you misundetstood Hayashibara words and what she wanted to convey:
Sailor Moon Crystal
Dragon Ball Super
FLCL
I believe Hayashibara took a stab toward anime like that, they're derivatives of the past. And, it could've meant the same with original anime too, to use a current example Kabaneri, some see as a derivative of Attack on Titan. Or, you can say the same about Daybreak Illusion being the derivative to Madoka.

And, her going foward meant, she want to explore different roles she never played in her past, as in, she don't want to peigonhold herself and want to explore new stories that haven't or rarely been told before. The Rakugo anime is prolly a good example of that.

Hayashibara is still the best and greatest.

Elijah Richardson
Elijah Richardson

People actually disagree with her
People actually don't realize that any anime that wasn't a cookie cutter SoL or comfyshit has been garbage or overhyped mediocrity for the past like seven 10+ years

Even the Japs are starting to notice and people on Sup Forums are too autismal to see.

Joshua Jenkins
Joshua Jenkins

i think Crystal had that airing pattern because they were phoning in every part of it so hard.

They sure weren't using the additional time to make it look less like shit, it required a new director coming on and saying FUCK YOU and demanding they give the show moar budget to make it look decent instead of QUALITY.

Samuel Gutierrez
Samuel Gutierrez

It's not like Crystal's main problem was that it was airing bi-weekly

Nolan Wilson
Nolan Wilson

Did you seriously just fucking compare World Break to NGE? World Break didn't even sell 1k. What the fuck are you doing?

Ian Thomas
Ian Thomas

People actually don't realize that any anime that wasn't a cookie cutter SoL or comfyshit has been garbage or overhyped mediocrity for the past like seven 10+ years
the past like seven 10+ years
Yes, exactly, anime has always been cookie cutter shit and mediocrities, ever since Momotarou. Glad to hear you get it, nostalgiafags can fuck off.

Christopher Evans
Christopher Evans

I have to make an embarrassing confession. I fell in love with the heroine of a cartoon movie.
Miyazaki confirmed for original waifufag.

Alexander Murphy
Alexander Murphy

And does she provide any evidence of that? Or is it just a vague assertion that things used to be better?

Oliver Wilson
Oliver Wilson

By budget do you mean impeccable scheduling or just super advanced production?

Carson Martin
Carson Martin

what about the Bakamonogatari series? it's not garbage or mediocre and it's not cookiecutter SoL.

Thomas Nelson
Thomas Nelson

to taking a leap of faith, and both approaches can yield high rewards.

Because making weaker versions of what came before leads to stagnation. Nobody is asking for something completely original, people just want good versions of the already established formulas and not the lazy, low effort imitations we are getting nowadays.

Jonathan Phillips
Jonathan Phillips

cookie cutter SoL is good
they're not, unless you're stupid. almost all of them are awful. the only ones that stands out are Yuru Yuri and Kiniro Mosaic, and Non Non Biyori too, if you're stupid enough to not realize that the only similiarity it has with the typical garbage SoL is that the entire cast is made up of girls.
i completely agree with the idea that the SoL genre tends to garner the greatest series in the past few years, but the ones that are good are not "cookie cutter".

Blake Bailey
Blake Bailey

The industry is new enough to have gone through several big changes in our lifetime. It's pretty different even from decade to decade, especially when you factor in things like the internet.

Ian Watson
Ian Watson

I'm assuming the problem was largely budget, because I can't imagine how bad you'd have to be at scheduling to produce something like that with two weeks to work on it if you had the money for the quantity and quality of manpower you needed.

Matthew Stewart
Matthew Stewart

Sophia from Cross Ange
Wheres my fucking NanaXMegumi duet CD, Goddammit SUNRISE REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Noah Hill
Noah Hill

does she provide evidence of that?
It's just different.
Good argument.

Carter Allen
Carter Allen

I bet this bitch hasn't even watched 15 anime this year, fucking disgusting.

That they'd rather stick to a formula or aesthetic that will yield them a nice safe profit.

And that never happened in the 80's and 90's? fuck off.

Jace Moore
Jace Moore

Monogatari is a mess. Watching Monogatari Second Season was fun at times, but everything following that is literally autistic and unwatchable.
Everyone praises it for its "ingenious" dialogue, but if you watch anything after Monogatari Second Season and still think that, I think you're in need of a check-up.

Elijah Allen
Elijah Allen

I'm just pointing out that the possibility is there.

Lucas Martin
Lucas Martin

it's an autistic mess, yes, and so am i and that's why i like the monogatari series, but it's not mediocre nor garbage nor cookicutter

Owen Rodriguez
Owen Rodriguez

I want to be part of projects that aren’t trying to be ‘like’ something that came before.”
But things should try to be like before, only better. The issue is not that everything is the same, just that they aren't better than what came prior.

Joseph Johnson
Joseph Johnson

Yep, look at the roles she played, she pretty much did the most generic popular shit possible like pokemon. I highly doubt she even watches anime except for the ones she actually has a role in.

Connor Perez
Connor Perez

people just want good versions of the already established formulas and not the lazy, low effort imitations we are getting nowadays.
You say it like every single anime getting made right now is of the latter kind, which is simply not true. Perhaps the shows that are in fact not completely derivative safe cards (unlike Astrisk or whatever), just do not appeal to you personally, but that's a completely different matter.

Connor Adams
Connor Adams

It's about comparing the best shows of each era. Apart form Yuasa's stuff, the best shows form last five years are comparatively thrash when comparing them to the best of the previous decades.

Bake is amazing piece of artistic genius meme.

Easton Bailey
Easton Bailey

pokemon isn't generic at all, though.

Nathaniel Wood
Nathaniel Wood

I admire Megumi not only for being pretty much the embodiment of 90's anime, but also for fading gracefully in the later decades.

There was one point in which I thought Aya Hirano was gonna be the next Megumi, but then she crashed and burned just as she was fading out, and these days she's remembered more for being a slut than for her VA work.

Liam Sullivan
Liam Sullivan

Most of the time its never about the budget. Its always not enough time or super shit schedule.

Landon Ortiz
Landon Ortiz

Nihil sub sole novum

Alexander Allen
Alexander Allen

Who's that on the right to Faye?

Gabriel Fisher
Gabriel Fisher

pokemon
not generic shit

Almost every pokemon episode can summed like this.
Visit new area
Meet new people
Battle/team rocket shenanigans
Say goodbye

Its about as generic as generic gets, it follows the "monster of the week" formula to a tee.

Anthony Cox
Anthony Cox

Houko Kuwashima said the same about how VA shelf-life is much shorter now and about how VAs are now expected to be basically idols.

Jack Wilson
Jack Wilson

As said, it has little to nothing to do with the budget.
The majority of animators, if not all, are not being paid well. They work because they like animation, and want to animate.

Oliver Hernandez
Oliver Hernandez

She's probably the millionth person to say that about their profession. Whatever.

Jeremiah Wright
Jeremiah Wright

If it's good, it's good. I think anime just isn't likely to be good since it requires to be seasonal. I think we need to do away with seasons, that's the only way to make anime less stagnate

Tyler Hill
Tyler Hill

True, what that user should have said was "Pokemon wasn't always that generic"

Ian Bailey
Ian Bailey

It's pathetic how content some of you are with the mediocrity churned out season by season, filled with young adult light novel/visual novel fluff. How content you are to write off detractors as ignorant, shonenbabbies, etc.

You don't take a step back and look at animation as a whole and it's possibilities. How much more there could be. How many more demographics could be involved. How utterly stagnant the industry is now. It's somehow even worse in the West which is even more infuriating and depressing.

As a medium, animation is in such a horrific place and it absolutely shouldn't be.

But elitism and a safe space are more important so who cares, you get enough tripe to hold your attention for a season and that's all that matters.

Lincoln Thomas
Lincoln Thomas

Bake is amazing piece of artistic genius meme.
Meant for

But I'll give you that bake isn't trash. It's still proves how shitty the quality or recent anime is if bake comes up as an example of a great show.

Charles Garcia
Charles Garcia

It's about comparing the best shows of each era. Apart form Yuasa's stuff, the best shows form last five years are comparatively thrash when comparing them to the best of the previous decades.
I disagree entirely. What fantastic TV shows from the 80s/90s/2000s do you think outclass everything from the last five years?

Easton Morgan
Easton Morgan

Derivative or not it's still mostly weak execution coupled with bad writing.

Carter Long
Carter Long

I just find it hard to believe that that could be the case when they had two weeks between episodes.

The majority of animators, if not all, are not being paid well. They work because they like animation, and want to animate.
Yes, but they are still being paid, and do not work for free, and a low budget production can afford fewer workers/frames.

Luke Price
Luke Price

You're a part of the problem.

Joshua Ramirez
Joshua Ramirez

That's a parody that devolves into mecha stuff though
It's like comparing Death Note to Onani Master Kurosawa. They start with familiarity to then suvert the expectation or to.

Lucas Young
Lucas Young

The aunt from Love Hina. There was once a time when literally every user would know that, but I guess it's passed.

Aiden Johnson
Aiden Johnson

I'm not defending it because I think it's ideal, I'm just saying that what the studios choose to do make business sense and idealistic rhetoric about the "potential of animation" isn't going to change that.

Benjamin Wood
Benjamin Wood

going to be harder to come up with an original idea after 20 years.
You can't say this for other pieces of media like, say, literature.

Jason Rivera
Jason Rivera

Houko Kuwashima

what happened seriously?

Gabriel Davis
Gabriel Davis

Anime is tiny as fuck compared to those media, though. And in the case of books specifically, there's a much lower entry barrier because creating it requires one person and no money.

Christian Brown
Christian Brown

It was only the economic bubble in the 80s that allowed that shit.
No more risks were being taken in the 90s.

Jacob Cooper
Jacob Cooper

kids anime is literally a playground for animators.
it's a place for them to do whatever they want, and this is especially true in Precure and Shin-chan.
in this case, Pokemon and those series are as unique as unique series can be.
not only that, XY is very different from the other series and is one of the best looking anime airing right now.

David Stewart
David Stewart

/vp/

Liam Jenkins
Liam Jenkins

People remember the Slayers and Lum
very rarely.

World Break was also complete shit and a horrible example.

Brayden Thomas
Brayden Thomas

Megumi fell for the nostalgia meme
Stupid fucking cunt

David Perry
David Perry

Lum still comes up a surprising amount.

Jaxon Reyes
Jaxon Reyes

Yeah this is not going to go anywhere. I doesn't matter what shows I recommend, you're just gonna say hxh or some Urobutcher shit did it better. But you probably know which shows are still relevant and thought of as masterpieces by even newer generations of fans (with taste) even decade after airing.

Tyler Young
Tyler Young

I don't like Pokemon as a series, only XY's anime. The games suck, and so do all of the series preceding XY.

Jackson Barnes
Jackson Barnes

any of those three series you listed
good

Charles Hall
Charles Hall

i don't think Yuru Yuri or Kiniro Mosaic are good, but i do think NNB is.

Wyatt Sullivan
Wyatt Sullivan

Oh, bait. I should have known.

Kayden Reyes
Kayden Reyes

B...But she's right user

She could said we need more original creativity than ever.

Justin Young
Justin Young

30-50 shows a season
Expects most of them to be completely fresh and original

Look if you can't find original stuff in a season its your own fault, there is almost always at least 3-5 shows that can be considered original in nature. You can't expect an industry to constantly produce hit after hit, its not possible.

If you actually sit down and try out shows that you consider "shit" or "unoriginal" before every even trying them, then you will be stuck with the most generic shit because you only watch whats "good".

Joseph Torres
Joseph Torres

Learn to type in English and how to greentext, newfag.

Julian Walker
Julian Walker

The whole super-quick VA turnaround thing actually does bother me a bit. It's the one thing I think you can absolutely say is different from the old days and they're pretty much idols now.

Leo Collins
Leo Collins

Anime [today] which are trying to be similar to previous hits
She's not wrong. How many times have you heard something being the "next Evangelion" or the "next Gundam". Hell we have a show airing this season which is the "next SnK".

Wyatt Rodriguez
Wyatt Rodriguez

Bait? Not really. There is just no way you can make a strong argument that something which came out in the last five yeas is better than gits, logh, lain, nge...

Henry Jenkins
Henry Jenkins

Yeah I mean I don't know how you guys can't think she doesn't have some kind of a point when something like fucking Kabaneri is running this season

Hudson Perry
Hudson Perry

"next Evangelion" or the "next Gundam".
Never?

Dominic Watson
Dominic Watson

Am I insulting your intelligence user?

Justin Fisher
Justin Fisher

reminder there will never be another serial lain experiments, or another here now and then

anime is dead

Easton Baker
Easton Baker

gits
Okay

logh
Agreed

lain
I'm with you

nge
When will people stop praising this proto-moe bullshit

Joseph Lee
Joseph Lee

Guilty Crown's producers said it wanted to be the modern GITS and I'm sure you remember Aldnoah Zero saying it would surpass Gundam for some recent examples

Camden Barnes
Camden Barnes

Good, Lain sucked

Josiah Mitchell
Josiah Mitchell

And it's selling well, so it's obviously the right move business wise

Logan Hall
Logan Hall

Crystal airing bi-weekly have nothing to do with the production. At the very least they should have completed the first two episode 1 month before airing.

The problem is that animators are just human. They need to be inspired to do good job, they need imagination and time to properly transfer what they have in their head to paper. Give them shit schedule with little to no time and ugly shit like Crystal will happen. Though to be fair, one of main issues Crystal had was that they are trying too hard to follow the manga.

Brayden Gutierrez
Brayden Gutierrez

japan is falling behind in literally everything, they aren't even the technology kings any more

whole country already milked itself to death, cow is old now

Dominic Scott
Dominic Scott

Also Psycho Pass was suppose to be a new GitS as well. If that guy has never heard of shows trying to be better old shows than he's just new to anime.

Jonathan Wright
Jonathan Wright

gits, logh, lain, nge

These are the most boring picks you could possibly get when trying to list the best anime of those times. If you actually had a decent power level you could pick anime from that period that are better. LoGH isn't even very good and picking it reeks of trying to fit in.

Josiah Wright
Josiah Wright

Right, so a show comes out, is a massive successes and people try to cash in. This happens to pretty much every single thing ever. It is literally how most businesses operate.

Parker Walker
Parker Walker

Aldnoah Zero saying it would surpass Gundam
Nigga what?

Austin Bell
Austin Bell

here now and then
It's called Now and Then, Here and There, you retard. It was also shit. Seriously, try watching it again now and you'll realize it isn't nearly as good as you thought when you were 14. Same with shit like Saikano.

Landon Lewis
Landon Lewis

She's right though.
Everyone writes off female VAs once they become 30 unless they're amazing.

Then once they become 40, everyone goes after the new hotness

Caleb Fisher
Caleb Fisher

better than your favorite anime for sure ; ^ )

Nicholas Powell
Nicholas Powell

And I think there is a real problem there is that unlike anime where this is kind of subjective, this thing with the VAs is something you can go back to and absolutely say it wasn't like this back then. VAs could do their job far past the point they would be considered "old news" today and that's what made so many of them legendary

Gavin Hall
Gavin Hall

Things similar to popular things get made. This isn't new. That's how trends evolve.

Landon Baker
Landon Baker

(You)

Gavin Mitchell
Gavin Mitchell

Are you the same user as which completely disagreed with me before?

When will people stop praising this proto-moe bullshit

Never, because it passes the test of time with flying colors. Accept that it is one of the best anime ever made since decades from now people will still hail it as such. And it's not like they don't have butt loads of analytical essays to back up their claims.

Tyler Thompson
Tyler Thompson

There is no better VA than pic related.

Ayden Hughes
Ayden Hughes

Funny thing is Yui Horie and Yukarin still able to get main roles at age 40 and over. Megumi could still destroy the newbies and idols in fell swoop.

90s were indeed GOAT tier of great seiyuu

Dominic Gomez
Dominic Gomez

90s didn't have Love Live!

10s wins!

/thread

Bentley Bailey
Bentley Bailey

I would probably have a harder time disagreeing with her if there weren't so many battle LN harems coming out these days to the point that if there is less than 2, it's considered odd.

Alexander Carter
Alexander Carter

I forgot how many great leads Megu-nee voiced in the 90s.
Nuku Nuku was my first cat-fu back in the day.
God-tier vocal fry that predated Ayane Sakura by nearly 25 years!

Julian James
Julian James

gundam ripoff
gundam ripoff
gundam ripoff
mobile suit gundam ex+ gigaton
gundam ripoff
slayers ripoff

Yeah the 90s sure were great

Jonathan Ramirez
Jonathan Ramirez

I think you fucked up your sentence and meant to say "an easier time." Two shows is also <5% of a season.

Wyatt Hill
Wyatt Hill

I've noticed this with her and she's right

Elijah Edwards
Elijah Edwards

Battle LN harems

Are you seriously suggesting that harems haven't been popular as fuck since pretty much the beginning of anime? If there was "barely" any in the 90's its because there were "barely" any anime period.

Ryder Foster
Ryder Foster

Holy shit.

Jaxson Wright
Jaxson Wright

battle LN harems have NOTHING to do with harems, they're a new whole type of terrible

Cameron Garcia
Cameron Garcia

Uh no. I said specifically "Battle LN harems"

James Jackson
James Jackson

Not him, but they have a lot to do with harems.

Camden Williams
Camden Williams

inb4 she's gets a main role and shuts the fuck up entirely

Oliver Wright
Oliver Wright

When Osomatsu and Gundam the Origin vastly outsell generic LN adaptation with shit tons of marketing x you almost have to wonder

Colton Powell
Colton Powell

Nearly every anime is a ripoff of this mans work
Is it safe to say he's the most important man in the animation industry today?

Owen Watson
Owen Watson

How much did she get paid for each Eva movie?

Sebastian Barnes
Sebastian Barnes

Did you just use a remake and a sequel as evidence that people don't like derivative shit?

Nolan Thomas
Nolan Thomas

World break did sell alot of novels and is one of the most wanted series they want to get a sequel.
https://akiba-souken.com/anime/vote/v_419/

Xavier James
Xavier James

How in the hell does adding the fact there are "battles" instead of "drama" and "LN" instead of "Manga" make any difference at all. The are both awful for the same fucking reason. It focuses on generic girls with slightly different art styles doing generic harem shenanigans in both 90% of the time.

Nathan Ward
Nathan Ward

Yup. I thought they might be less retarded cause she's kind of a pretty face and not another balding bearded old guy but nope. When you have so many people lately coming out and saying this shit from directors to seiyuu to even some producers with integrity there might just be something that's causing it but nope just gotta get angry at these people and turn a blind eye

James Clark
James Clark

Because they are retro in spirit but with a stylish modern paint job?

Wyatt Sanders
Wyatt Sanders

she's

Huh?

Angel Howard
Angel Howard

Is there such thing as a harem anime without the "battle" garbage?

Christopher Perez
Christopher Perez

not much, all she wanted to be back voicing Rei again.

Same with Hayashibara, yes

Jayden Rogers
Jayden Rogers

Those polls are always weird as shit and don't reflect the broader fanbase. The people who liked it really like it, I guess, but its general notability is far below the average anime, let alone fucking NGE. It's like if I picked out some random shit like Akihabara Dennou Gumi and used that as "evidence" that the 90s was all forgettable throw-aways.

Jayden Long
Jayden Long

Adding LN to anything automatically makes it shit. because all light novels are trash

Brayden Rivera
Brayden Rivera

90s anime were overflowing with ambition
The most popular 90s anime was a copy of an 80s anime
?

Carter Green
Carter Green

Why not actually partake in the discussion instead of meta-discussing it from your high horse?

Austin Adams
Austin Adams

How fucking new are you?

Christopher Powell
Christopher Powell

So this is what we've come to, the eternal summer

Wyatt Perez
Wyatt Perez

DP was pretty good

Jace Jenkins
Jace Jenkins

Nope. 90s anime vastly improved upon what came before. This desire to improve slowly withered away in the mid 00.

Dominic Hall
Dominic Hall

People are hailing it as great because they think they're supposed to. Like Citizen Kane.

Nathaniel Rivera
Nathaniel Rivera

At the end of the day none of this "guuuhhh anime sucks now!!" talk doesn't matter because anime is only made possible by appealing to a niche demographic that likes the current state of the industry. Like it or not, that's a fact, and some random seiyuu who hasn't been relevant in Japan in literal decades' opinion won't make a difference.

Also:
anime was better when I got regular work

Hunter Garcia
Hunter Garcia

Is there such thing as a harem anime without the "battle" garbage?

Asher Peterson
Asher Peterson

I was waiting for you.

Angel Johnson
Angel Johnson

Does that mean it can't also be good?

Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson

I agree with your main point but I don't think she has problem finding work.

Henry Morgan
Henry Morgan

They don't understand why it's good, which is why they only think popular stuff is good.

Luis Thomas
Luis Thomas

It can be good, sure. But we're talking about best ever here.

Personally, I can't stand it. Not the guy from above.

Robert Davis
Robert Davis

You're drifting into pretentious "You just don't get it, it's literally art" territory here.

Jonathan Turner
Jonathan Turner

But I think he's also insulting it.

Landon Morales
Landon Morales

The desire to improve was replaced with the desire to create something truly new. This is why the most popular show of the time, Code Geass, was largely different from anything before it.

Andrew Adams
Andrew Adams

Ever notice how you don't hear any current animators or seiyuus talking about the industry like this? The old guard are losing their influence and they're jealous of the newbies who can turn a profit.

Matthew Foster
Matthew Foster

Well you said "battle harem" which implies there are "battle" anime (like shonen) and pure "harem" anime. I'm just asking you what titles are just "harem" anime.

Nathaniel Richardson
Nathaniel Richardson

What the fuck are you talking about? No other anime has more articles/essays/videos made about explaining what's so good about it.

Charles Moore
Charles Moore

Yes, and I'm telling you you're a retarded newfag who got here literally yesterday if you don't know of a whole host of non-battle harems.

Kevin Walker
Kevin Walker

Shut up and read your lines bitch.

Asher Rodriguez
Asher Rodriguez

Older harems like LH were about losers who somehow got close enough to girls that a romance began to develop. They would be under a "lovable loser" archetype even if they weren't always that lovable, and the romantic development was interesting to watch. There was an element of wish fulfillment bu the focus on comedy/drama/romance kept things somewhat grounded.

Battle harems do away with all of that. The MC might be a "loser" but he's actually super amazing. The girls are wet from his dick from the start and there's no romantic developments because all the girls want to fuck him raw from the moment of eye-contact. There's absolutely no grounding for the story, because its 100% wish fulfillment. Common story arcs include the MC proving himself to be a hotshot in front of the entire school, beating up a bully, and making a girl practically his cockslave. There are absolutely no redeemable elements from harems once you throw action fantasy into the mix, because the show simply becomes a 22 minute long masturbation session for the viewer.

Isaiah Barnes
Isaiah Barnes

If you have to make essays deeply analyzing something just to show others why it's good...

Thomas Martinez
Thomas Martinez

Who care about some low level animator or actor

This young already legendary director complains all the time

Hudson Rodriguez
Hudson Rodriguez

Think about this. How could they?

Landon Morales
Landon Morales

I don't know, you could make the argument that current animators and seiyuu would risk job opportunities by badmouthing their employers and their choices.

Jaxson Miller
Jaxson Miller

Nah, you hear some active/younger people doing it, but it's usually the ones who have something to gain from it or have produced garbage that rightfully didn't sell. Like Yamakan hyping up Fractale, or Ubukata attacking contemporary sci-fi while at a promotional event for Mardock Scramble, or Dai Sato saying that Ergo Proxy flopping taught him that the current market only wanted derivative shit, etc. There's always an obvious motive.

Isaac Wright
Isaac Wright

He died for our sins.

Thomas Taylor
Thomas Taylor

Not really the industry but I recall one seiyuu called otaku disgusting in front of their faces at public event, but that's pretty much it.

Cooper Jones
Cooper Jones

What are you even implying here?

Joseph Smith
Joseph Smith

And I literally can't remember a harem anime that didn't have some kind of supernatural plot and that kind of stuff, which is why I'm asking.

Cooper Sanders
Cooper Sanders

Well they can afford to do that. A newbie wouldn't risk talking shit about their industry, especially in Japan.

Luke Russell
Luke Russell

Fuck I couldn't agree more. There's maybe 2-3 battle harems I've ever managed to even sit through, meanwhile I still find regular "old school" harems somewhat decent.

They by far have the worst "shit to good" ratio among any genre.

Ethan Jenkins
Ethan Jenkins

Do you not know what fucking Love Hina is? Or Nisekoi?

Brody Brown
Brody Brown

If you're seriously talking up early 2000s harems as though they were any better, you have some serious fucking nostalgia.

Mason Cruz
Mason Cruz

desire to create something truly new.

Why don't I see the labours of this desire to make something truly new any more? Nevermind, I know your answer, it's because I'm a nostalgiafag

Juan Gray
Juan Gray

talk shit
get fired
Ever notice how it's people with long ties in the industry saying stuff like this?

Ayden Richardson
Ayden Richardson

IT'S GOOD I TELL YOU HERE I MADE A 2 HOUR VIDEO ANALYZING THE FIRST SCENE FRAME BY FRAME TO SHOW YOU HOW GENIUS THE MAKERS ARE

Samuel Mitchell
Samuel Mitchell

They are better than your average battle harem.

Not good, just better.

Mason Harris
Mason Harris

LN crap and other shit sells.

Easton Williams
Easton Williams

Does that mean it can't be good?

Alexander Ramirez
Alexander Ramirez

To be fair, is Love Hina really worth watching now? It was the show that burned me out on haremshit. I hated Naru, she was such a bitch. When it was over, I didn't want to watch the OVAs.

Carter Smith
Carter Smith

Because you don't watch new anime at all, as you seem to realize.

Thomas Nguyen
Thomas Nguyen

So what about the people who enjoy current anime?

Gabriel Long
Gabriel Long

Love Hina was always a shitty adaptation of a manga that wasn't very good in the first place anyway

Parker Sanchez
Parker Sanchez

I think the correct term is "overhyped as fuck".

Gabriel Anderson
Gabriel Anderson

That's funny because I was saying the same thing about the 90s back in the 90s.

Christopher Gray
Christopher Gray

Even when Love Hina was new, I thought it was complete garbage compared to Ranma.

Jordan Clark
Jordan Clark

There seems to be this idea that the more you obfuscate your message the better your piece of art is, and I've never really understood why.

Christian Bennett
Christian Bennett

And that is what proves it's quality. And by the way your analogy is retarded since most of the nge analysis it about themes and character a and not direction, imagery or shot composition or whatever you are implying

Jace Gomez
Jace Gomez

No, not really. The average early 2000s harem (a good number of which were actually "battle harems," just not with the same magical academy setup that dominates that genre now) and the average LN battle harem are both about the same level of awful.

Elijah Nguyen
Elijah Nguyen

Love Hina was never worth watching.

Aiden Rivera
Aiden Rivera

analysis =/= episodic review by your favourite youtuber

Charles Cox
Charles Cox

Maybe, which doesn't disqualify it from being good.

Complexity isn't solely there for the sake of complexity. A work isn't necessarily good or bad for being complex or straightforward.

Easton Watson
Easton Watson

You can keep saying that, but it doesn't make it true.

Easton Sanchez
Easton Sanchez

Maybe, which doesn't disqualify it from being good.
You're really harping on this fucking point. I suggest you read the conversation and see what's being discussed.

Oliver Smith
Oliver Smith

No, every argument you have is just a fallacy, besides the point, or irrelevant.

Michael Allen
Michael Allen

Off the top of my head, Cosprayers, Smash Hit, Love Love, Eiken, Yumeria, Green Green, Koi Koi 7, Girls Bravo, and Tenshi no Shippo Chu all ranged from Asterisk-tier mediocre to Isuca-tier awful. And they looked worse, to boot.

Landon King
Landon King

literally hasn't shown any reasons why evangelion is bad except for things that are completely irrelevant

Nathaniel Jenkins
Nathaniel Jenkins

thinking I'm that guy
I'm just pointing out that the fucking discussion is about people liking it.

John Richardson
John Richardson

hurr new generation is lame! mine was better, and the one before me was best!

repeat until the end of time

Dylan Martinez
Dylan Martinez

Right, which doesn't mean it's good or bad.

Nolan Brown
Nolan Brown

Original and Good aren't the same thing. Original gets you garbage modern art. There are similarities between various works of art because there are similar things that people find aesthetically pleasing. Trying to deviate for the sake of being deviant is just a mess.

Gavin Baker
Gavin Baker

Based.

If only she doesn't have that obsession for Shinji she would be perfect.

Leo Foster
Leo Foster

That's not even what's being discussed.

Gavin Green
Gavin Green

She is right you know. Anime today is literally otaku bait, and safe trends. So you're objectively wrong thinking it is as good today than it was then.

Grayson Perry
Grayson Perry

What's being discussed is the idea that people only like it because it's popular.

John Jenkins
John Jenkins

Meh, modern art is basically just another type of conformity. If doing things like drawing a line on a blank piece of paper and calling it art could ever be considered original in the first place.

Joseph Cox
Joseph Cox

What's being discussed is the idea that people only like it because it "passes with flying colors."

Ryder Carter
Ryder Carter

Even when Love Hina was new, I thought it was complete garbage compared to Ranma.
Love Hina was never worth watching.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone, then. I really had that "I want those ten hours of my life back" feeling after it was over. I think it was Motoko that kept me watching.

I may have thought Ranma was over-rated back then, but I never thought it was shit. There were a few shit shows that really had an impact on me, the kind of feeling of loss inside that makes you become an oldfag, to find out how bad anime can be, and Love Hina was one of the first for me.

Colton Young
Colton Young

I thought Yukarin was getting depressed because she couldn't get any good roles because she was 'old' now?

Oliver Peterson
Oliver Peterson

There weren't any Gundam ripoffs in the 90s.

Camden James
Camden James

If your whole issue is with a term just replace "originality" with "creativity". You don't need to have a never before heard concepto to be creative, in fact you can be both unoriginal and creative simultaneously (Gurren Lagann).

There's just way too much anime being made nowadays, so it stands to reason that most of it will be mediocre and uninspired. Yet they're still there, still subbed, picked up by CR or Funi, discussed, only because they exist and not for any real merit in standing out from their contemporaries. It creates an information overload where bad shit gains notoriety for reasons completely outside of the screen and then that prompts more bad shit to use the same tactics and interesting stuff getting buried within. It's a vicious cycle.

When there were much less anime being made in general, it was simpler and cleaner to look out for the good stuff and those gained notoriety because there wasn't social media shit or internet pushing fads over them.

Noah Clark
Noah Clark

Rocketnews24 is a clickbait site, why does this thread have so much discussion?

Benjamin Jackson
Benjamin Jackson

Yukarin is getting depressed because Nana still hasn't taken responsibility.

Nathan Reyes
Nathan Reyes

They do though. It's no unusual to see animators complaining about poor working conditions on Twitter.

Jaxon Morris
Jaxon Morris

Otaku like anime.
Anime is made for mostly otaku.
This is a bad thing.

Henry Fisher
Henry Fisher

Do Yui Horie and Ayako Kawasumi still get shit?

Jack Thompson
Jack Thompson

I think he means about content. Working conditions are a different topic, and on that one it's pretty universally accepted that it's an age-old problem, not a new one.

Lucas Stewart
Lucas Stewart

However, this increased focus on the performer’s persona carries the risk of lessening the importance of his or her acting capabilities in terms of being chosen for roles. In her interview, Hayashibara expresses a fear that voice acting, which she used to believe was a long-term career, now includes elements for which a performer will only be considered “in-season” for so long.

Idol culture was a mistake.

Lincoln Thomas
Lincoln Thomas

That's because current/starting off voice actors can't afford to piss off the wrong people, where as the old hats can talk as much shit as they want, and as long as they don't say anything completely outrageous, it's not like anyone can say that they're wrong.

I don't think Megumi is saying this to protect her interests, she's saying this because an industry that fucks seiyuu, especially female seiyuu is becoming standard

I mean, she's fucking legendary in animu history and has voiced some of the most iconic characters in the medium, I don't think she's looking for or even NEEDs more notches on her belt.

Maybe she just wants people to have a chance to be in something that's going to be remembered after people stop fapping. I somehow don't think that 10 years from now, people are going to be talking about how they miss Asterisk War, Infinite Stratos, or Hundred, while shows like Ranma, Evangelion and Tekkaman Blade are going to be considered timeless classics.

Dominic Perez
Dominic Perez

$9400 a year
Why the fuck would anyone want to be an animator?

Joseph Allen
Joseph Allen

she's right tho. 98% of anime released nowadays is designed to pander to otaku crowd.

Noah Cruz
Noah Cruz

Maybe she just wants people to have a chance to be in something that's going to be remembered after people stop fapping. I somehow don't think that 10 years from now, people are going to be talking about how they miss Asterisk War, Infinite Stratos, or Hundred, while shows like Ranma, Evangelion and Tekkaman Blade are going to be considered timeless classics.
Every fucking time, the cherrypicking is just ridiculous.

Austin Sanders
Austin Sanders

Probably because it was their childhood dream to make anime or whatever

Easton Morales
Easton Morales

Vocation
Passion
Interest?

Jackson Turner
Jackson Turner

98% of anime released nowadays is designed to pander to otaku crowd
This statistic is 100% likely to be completely pulled out of your ass

Connor Lopez
Connor Lopez

Even Trigger think modern anime isn't very good. It says a lot when the very people who make anime don't think highly of the works in their own industry.

Ryan Davis
Ryan Davis

They'd be better off drawing manga/hentai while working at mcdonalds

Chase Collins
Chase Collins

Trigger is special because they are a bunch of westaboos

Ryan Baker
Ryan Baker

Gravity Falls
Frosen
As expected from Trigger. Shit studio with shit taste.

Zachary Russell
Zachary Russell

I was so crazy for her when i was in my twenties. Especially after she did Nuku Nuku

Matthew Torres
Matthew Torres

As expected of westaboos.

Asher Brooks
Asher Brooks

Asterisk War, Infinite Stratos, or Hundred
No but they might be talking about missing Code Geass, Gundam Unicorn, and Madoka Magica

See I can cherry pick too

David Myers
David Myers

There is a point buried within that though. Nowadays the mainstream, populist stuff leans a lot into a conformist direction.

To find shows that reflect their artists or which try to do/say something interesting you have to necessarily look for fringe productions like Ping Pong or the like. Because you know something like Kabaneri or Asterisk is just gonna be a product done with only the mass/target audience in mind.

Before, there was more leeway for creators of high-profile productions to have their way with some elements of them, best example being NGE. You'll never find a primetime show go to the extremes Anno went there, because that just isn't realistic anymore and producers wouldn't allow it.

So the attemps at quality get more niche while there's more and more manpower in the industry dedicated to placating audiences.

Kayden Russell
Kayden Russell

Just more nostalgia. There are still new, creative things being made, there's honestly more variety than ever before. It's just that since there is more overall output, there is more material that can be seen as similar. And it's not like it's something unique to anime that people want to try and replicate past successes. In any case, I don't see anything wrong with what we get, I enjoy a fair bit of it.

Again and again, especially on places like Sup Forums, or anything at all really related to anime/manga etc. in the west, it really is too funny to see people bitching about a supposed lack of originality, or "otaku" pandering. 99.99% of you clowns have never bought a single thing from any supposed series you though embodied everything you thought was exemplary in anime, everything is obtained by some way or another for free. And no, any potential pity $5 monthly streaming fees you pay on the side don't count either. I mean importing BD's, games, manga volumes, etc. I don't bitch, but I can at least say I buy plastic butts, import VN's etc.

This isn't some sort of charity, or a government grant-funded creative exercise. It's a business, and a niche one at that. Of course people want to try and appeal to things that are safer bets. And how the fuck can people who don't want to spend a single cent, how to fuck ca you criticize fans out there that actually do spend money to support the industry and buy what they like, and then get upset when they also get more of what they want?

Anthony Rodriguez
Anthony Rodriguez

I guarantee you that in ten years someone will be saying they miss Geass and Haruhi and TTGL and that old school harems like Shana and ZnT are way better than the stuff they're getting in 2025. And then it'll be K-On and Madoka and Monogatari's turn and probably even SAO, and then stuff that comes out this year will start getting nostalgia. It's just how it works.

Cooper Morris
Cooper Morris

No but they might be talking about missing Code Geass
That's some shit fucking taste

Gabriel Murphy
Gabriel Murphy

Well I mean she isn't wrong, I thought she was going to go on about VA but yeah I agree kinda.

Anything new that Japan tries gets shot down or ends up with shit sales so they revert to what usually sells the garbage harem, The cute girls doing cute shit (even though I like this.) and they're too scared.

Also the fucking fact that Japan is still milking the same GODAMN cliches 5-7 years ago is fucking staggering.

Anime will never move forward if we're still seeing accidental boob grope.

Hudson Lewis
Hudson Lewis

it's just nostalgia guys, I started watching anime in 2011 so I know anime is better today

David Howard
David Howard

We aren't even 10 years past those shows and yet there's still way older stuff that gets equal or greater amounts of discussion.

Charles Jackson
Charles Jackson

You are just a pleb. I attempt to watch at least 50% of all shows every season. Very few shows fall into the completely unwatchable tier. The fact that you honestly want there to be less shows because there are to many you don't like and you want it to be easier to find good stuff is absurd.

If less shows come out, there will almost definitely be less good stuff and more generic shit. Instead of 40+ varied and medicore shows, you want 10 shows that includes
Generic harem
Generic fujoshit
Generic shonen
Generic shonen 2
Sequel
Generic sol(for all audience)
Generic sol(for adults)
Generic mech

If you honestly believe this is better you don't actually like anime. Oh but wait what your thinking is actually "Stop making things I don't like and make only things I like but with higher quality". I doubt you truly understand what reducing the amount of anime produced would actually mean.

Easton Roberts
Easton Roberts

Fun fact, Ping Pong sold almost twice as well as Asterisk's first cour, and Hundred and Asterisk's second cour are on their way down there, too. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Christopher Mitchell
Christopher Mitchell

And? It's not like Ranma or especially Tekkaman fucking Blade are getting daily threads, either.

Sebastian Fisher
Sebastian Fisher

implying we don't miss code geass

Shows like Vulva rape or Aldnope just couldn't capture the same magic.

Leo Smith
Leo Smith

There are very few shows older than ten years that get more discussion than those, what are you talking about?

Wyatt Russell
Wyatt Russell

They don't but other people will and have already

Elijah Sanders
Elijah Sanders

It's not hard for me, personally, to find good stuff I'll like. I'm talking about the big picture.

I didn't advocate for actively reducing the amount of anime produced either, I only described what I saw as a result of the amount of anime produced being so high.

Those are just results, they don't factor into the thought-process of the people making the shows before they know if they'll sell or not. I used Asterisk as an example because it was named in the previous post. You could replace it with SnK or Uta no Prince-Sama if you want the numbers to fit.

Henry Smith
Henry Smith

Honestly Valvrave S1 did it for me way more than Geass did
Those ridiculous plot twists while the ED started playing got me every week

Leo Moore
Leo Moore

You want to know why anime is really dying and isn't as good? Because Japan lacks competition and capitalism. You need these two fucking things to keep anything evolving, but you know as you can see the world is heading more and more towards socialism each day and globalism taking over. Creating nothing but stagnation and societies full of nothing but shitters.

Nicholas Ross
Nicholas Ross

Honestly the only shit I watch lately are OVAs, movies and shows that are 2 cour or more cause they're the only ones that strike me as possibly worth it. I'm totally for doing away with constant seasonal 12 episode shit that goes nowhere and everything is designed around the inevitable BD premium set and event ticket

Colton Collins
Colton Collins

It just goes to show that even people in the industry aren't immune to becoming retarded nostalgiafags.

Lucas Parker
Lucas Parker

That's cause it pigeon holes itself more than it needs too. The producers have it in their head right now that anime needs to be aimed at otaku, only otaku and that everything is for the Blu-Rays and merchandising schemes. They've also started adopting AKB48 style marketing schemes to try to get this shit to well in spite of people openly admitting the shows are terrible

Caleb Morales
Caleb Morales

would have been 10/10 if they had used Boku ja nai after the rape scene

Daniel Morgan
Daniel Morgan

Before, there was more leeway for creators of high-profile productions to have their way with some elements of them, best example being NGE. You'll never find a primetime show go to the extremes Anno went there, because that just isn't realistic anymore and producers wouldn't allow it.
I don't think you know what primetime means. Anyway, I call bullshit. Bakemonogatari, whatever you think of its overall quality, undoubtedly had a bunch of fucking creative control from the directors, and it's looking like it'll stave off Osomatsu and remain the best-selling anime of the century.

Jonathan Bennett
Jonathan Bennett

What previous hit was Girls und Panzer imitating?
What previous hit was Madoka imitating?
What previous hit was Symphogear imitating?
What previous hit was Love Live imitating?
What previous hit was Gundam 00 imitating?
What previous hit was Tiger & Bunny imitating?
What previous hit was Shirobako imitating?

Isaac Cruz
Isaac Cruz

Two completely different posters

Gavin Jenkins
Gavin Jenkins

No, the anime market is in fact a competitive, capitalist market. What the fuck are you talking abuot?

Sebastian Ross
Sebastian Ross

Who?

Jonathan Thompson
Jonathan Thompson

We've had anime filled with ambition that sold well, even today.
We had OPM and Hibike last year, Ping Pong and Mushishi before that. This year we have flip flappers, Hibike S2, and Koe no Katachi.

Noah Roberts
Noah Roberts

Why do you still watch moeshit?

Isaac Flores
Isaac Flores

Evangelion for all of them.

Landon Reed
Landon Reed

The fuck are you talking about, there is more competition in the otaku market then ever before.

Jose Johnson
Jose Johnson

NGE aired on TV Tokyo at mornings. Of course, it failed because people didn't really care.

NGE got really popular due to reruns and word of mouth, actually. I don't think that could possibly happen today with how the media-consumer landscape looks.

Colton Roberts
Colton Roberts

What previous hit was Love Live imitating?

Is this a joke? Love Shit wasn't even the first idol anime.

Henry Howard
Henry Howard

moe bitches with weapons #5141 aka boatshit, shit witches,etc
magical girl shit from the 80s
hyper violence from the 80s and 90s
Idolmaster 2.0
Gundam
Sentai shit
What the fuck is this shit?

William Thompson
William Thompson

I like Hibike but calling it an anime filled with ambition is delusional.

Kyoani makes clean, well-packaged products. They're a professional brand.

Landon Price
Landon Price

adaptions
ambition

Henry White
Henry White

The point is that the actual primetime is dominated by OP, Sazae, and Maruko, not any of the modern things we're talking about. The "niche" and "mainstream" late night anime both have their initial broadcasts in the dead hours.

Jacob Davis
Jacob Davis

Love Hina was a terrible anime because it literally stopped halfway. But the manga was God-tier. I can remember a lot of people wanted the original translated soft back books. I have about 7 of them.

Juan Russell
Juan Russell

NGE in the modern world would be consider niche garbage. It only grew to popularity due to a market that produced what 5-10 shows a season? Much harder to stand out when you are competing with nearly 4x the amount competition.

Hudson Mitchell
Hudson Mitchell

Still attatched to Pokemon and Conan 20 years later
Anime is stagnant and everything is the same
Well gee.

Christopher Walker
Christopher Walker

But NGE didn't start as late night anime. IIRC the whole timeslot fuckery that ended up with the show on late night timeslots was the beginning of the concept of late-night anime in the first place.

Before that, TV anime were supposed to air in real timeslots and appeal to somewhat wider audiences while the true otaku/hardcore stuff was to be found in the OVA market.

A modern primetime anime slot would be Nichigo, where FMA, Geass R2 or Star Driver aired.

Kayden Howard
Kayden Howard

Was meant for

Adrian Hughes
Adrian Hughes

this.

Think about it, anime still has the same cliched relationships. spends five years pining over said girl, starts dating said girl, takes two years to kiss her, another three years to be considered in a steady relationship, and another 5 years before they get married.

Grayson Jones
Grayson Jones

By this logic Eva isn't original in any way because it wasn't even the first mech or biomech show

Jeremiah Perry
Jeremiah Perry

You're right. Eva isn't original at all. Who told you otherwise?

Asher Lopez
Asher Lopez

There is no competition, because anime companies are playing it safe and pandering.

It's like video games and pumping out the latest CoD.

Brayden Cook
Brayden Cook

Implying
Eva was the first anime to put a boring faggot and his harem in mechs. It's the proto-Infinite Stratos.

Oliver Powell
Oliver Powell

It's simply the anime bubble at work. The industry is clogged and doesn't put out interesting things anymore, it's just copying stuff that works because it works. Japan just doesn't want to take risks on the day and age. In the 80s and 90s, Japan's bubble economy allowed them to take risks and try to do interesting things. Nowadays, with the crises due to globalization, they need quick and easy money. Who can blame them? People need a roof and food to live.

Joshua Kelly
Joshua Kelly

Anime [today] which are trying to be similar to previous hits can never be better than the originals
This applies for practically any medium these days. Originality is a scarce commodity.

James Gonzalez
James Gonzalez

What are you talking about? Kyoani put tons of work into the show. They wanted it to have absolutely perfect instrument animation and it was one of the best looking shows of the best couple years
How was it not ambitious?

Kevin Gutierrez
Kevin Gutierrez

Competition doesn't mean being creative, user.

Chase Miller
Chase Miller

There is no competition, because anime companies are playing it safe and pandering.
It's like video games and pumping out the latest CoD.
Except they're doing it like that because of capitalism, they have to turn profits and that's absolutely fine.
You're a fucking retard if you think socialism is somehow involved with anime.

Sebastian Johnson
Sebastian Johnson

kek

Logan Roberts
Logan Roberts

Yes, you fucking faggot, because that's how they remain competitive. This is like middle school-tier basic economics.

Mason Murphy
Mason Murphy

Not in the sense this thread is talking about.

I like Kyoani for their craft, too, but all that craft is usually put in service of populist work that will appease the biggest amount of watchers possible. Not that I don't like a lot of their stuff, but I can easily see where someone might have a problem with it. They can feel manufactured, and their lesser shows do feel like hollow calculated products rather than borne out of creative impulse.

Noah Diaz
Noah Diaz

Boatshit & Shit Witches have nothing in common with GuP.
What 80s or 90s magical girl series is similar to it?
Since when is Symphogear "hyper violent"?
Other than being about Idols both are quite different
00 is very different from all other Gundam series
Sentai shit isn't anime
A recent very popular original anime you'd know that if you actually watched anime

Caleb Edwards
Caleb Edwards

What you're seeing is not capitalistic. The economy which is missed up due to the regulations imposed by libtard laws has destroy competition.

You only see a handful of competitors and in some cases one. For example, health care in California there is only one major health care provider thanks to Obongo care.

Levi Lopez
Levi Lopez

It's Wing 2.0 retard

Cameron Evans
Cameron Evans

/pol/

Sebastian Smith
Sebastian Smith

For example, health care in California there is only one major health care provider thanks to Obongo care.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the anime industry

Angel Davis
Angel Davis

Anime has never been this good before. Even if you only consider currently airing shows, Flying Witch is already much more enjoyable than anything that shitty seiyuu has ever worked on, and we'll still have masterpieces such as Amanchu, the third episode of Aria: the Avvenire, Hibike season 2, Koe no Katachi and Natsume Yuujinchou 5 this year.

implying that Kyoani isn't one of the most ambitious studios, if not the most

What other studio would have the balls to make the Endless Eight?
What other studio would stop making seasons for anime that literally print money like K-ON and Haruhi just for the sake of variety?

Kayden Bell
Kayden Bell

I suppose It just gets worse from here.

Kayden Collins
Kayden Collins

K-ON and Haruhi

That's on the publisher, Kyoani has no say.

Colton Fisher
Colton Fisher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByiqLpt6kKg

Caleb Collins
Caleb Collins

What other studio would stop making seasons for anime that literally print money like K-ON and Haruhi just for the sake of variety?

That has nothing to do with KyoAni at all since KyoAni doesn't own the IP.

Aiden Jackson
Aiden Jackson

You are talking about the most influential studio since Gainax made Evangelion.
They didn't appeal to the biggest amount of watchers, they literally made what those genres are today.

Tyler White
Tyler White

This is a retarded post. Its like asking why Madhouse would stop making more Marvel animations since Marvel is super popular right now.

The answer is they don't own those properties. Why are KyoAnus lickers so stupid they can't even understand basic ideals like IP ownership?

Henry Rogers
Henry Rogers

Yea, because pointing out that thanks to libtard regulations that you have no competition so devalues creativity has nothing to do to the sinking quality of anime industry.

Them people trying to trying to advocate their love for socialism by trying to discredit analogies.

Gabriel Young
Gabriel Young

Uh, not really?

Nicholas Cooper
Nicholas Cooper

Are you kidding me?
There's a fucking Ranma thread here almost every fucking week

Brody Moore
Brody Moore

Another thread falls victim to the KyoAni Kool-Aid.

Jeremiah Price
Jeremiah Price

Tell me about the global "libtard socialist laws" that hinder competition in the anime industry

Actually, scratch that and just go straight back to /pol/

Colton Gonzalez
Colton Gonzalez

And there isn't a Geass/Haruhi/TTGL thread every week?

Lincoln Cooper
Lincoln Cooper

She's completely right.

Michael Lewis
Michael Lewis

Stop replying, please.

Jonathan Barnes
Jonathan Barnes

"We want to be like Kyoani"
t. Trigger

Henry Cruz
Henry Cruz

there's a large disparity between the early 90s which is quite good and the late 90s which often has bland and awkward looking computer assisted animation, with mopey, melancholic, depressive stories

Joseph Smith
Joseph Smith

You do know that it's okay that a series isn't the very first one ever to tackle a topic or theme, right?

Jonathan Johnson
Jonathan Johnson

I sincerely believe that K-ON! is not only the best anime ever made but also the best piece of entertainment ever made. Even if all other anime were shit in the last 16 years they are still better than the 90s for K-ON! alone.

Aaron Mitchell
Aaron Mitchell

Everyone knows anime peaked in the 70s with Voltes V

Adrian Hall
Adrian Hall

TPP; NAFTA

Guess who put in one of them?

You might know who he is since he currently is the husband of the female dem candidate and admitted to having sexual relations with someone.

Brandon Watson
Brandon Watson

This but unironically.
K-On is the single greatest thing that has ever came out of Japan.

Jace Nguyen
Jace Nguyen

Oookay... the shitstorm has already begun but let's calm down.
Just because an article reports some dubiously translated shit taken out of contest it doesn't mean you need to take it for 100% accurate.

Haven't we learned anything from pic related?

Is that "today" within brackets actually supposed to be there or is it just an addition to get idiots to rage and link the article everywhere on the net so to get more clicks?

Because it totally changes the meaning of the sentence.

Parker Fisher
Parker Fisher

K-On isn't even in the top 25 shows for its genre

Aiden Jenkins
Aiden Jenkins

Please list those 25

Nolan Bell
Nolan Bell

So now Hillary Clinton is killing anime too, right

Gavin Gonzalez
Gavin Gonzalez

The problem with anime today is they are just commercials. Very few anime are made with the intent to tell a complete story. They exist to sell you a manga, light novel, video game,etc. You'll never see the ending of the story.

Levi Richardson
Levi Richardson

We never know the name of this

Ayden Cook
Ayden Cook

This is a valid criticism. Manga adaptions happened back then too but the ridiculous amount of LN adaptions these days is absurd. And it doesn't help that almost every adapted LN is pure fucking trash.

Tyler Sanchez
Tyler Sanchez

LN adaptations were a mistake, Haruhi opened the floodgate to some of the most mediocre garbage this industry has ever shat out.

Luis King
Luis King

That's because its not the most popular otaku medium in Japan.
Though manga is the opposite problem. They either go on too long for get axed too early.

John Wright
John Wright

It's because of her range voice like Mai Nakahara, Satomi Arai and others have their career going because having great range of voices and a great singing career.

Besides those 40yrs have something special down the road and I want Japan to explore it.

Alexander Taylor
Alexander Taylor

It's a /v/ cross boarders cry about the current state of anime episode

Fuck off already

Jack Reed
Jack Reed

Like Daiz, Yes

Austin Martinez
Austin Martinez

Autist

Kayden Stewart
Kayden Stewart

No it fucking isn't. I fucking love Gundam, watched every major series and OVA, but if you think 00 is somehow magically different then the Gundam that predates it, you're retarded.

The only thing 00 did different is having the story take place in a future time of our world. Most stuff thematically and plot related were done in different Gundams. Hell the whole "multiple MC Gundams with specialized weapons" is straight up Wing.

Gabriel Flores
Gabriel Flores

She is just mad because she isn't getting any new rolls.

Easton Taylor
Easton Taylor

Just off the top of my head these are all better than K-Off

Genshiken
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
GJ-bu
Sketchbook Full Colors
GochiUsa
Kiniro Mosaic
Yuru Yuri
Non Non Biyori
Hanayamata
Geijutsuka Art Design Class
Aiura
Hidamari Sketch
Koko wa Greenwood
Lamune
Aria
Hanasaku Iroha
Nichibros
Hyakko
Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Ichigo Mashimaro
Hyouka
Koufuku Graffiti
Morita-san
Ristorante Paradiso
YKK

You might argue some of these are too comedic or dramatic or too whatever to be the same subgenre of SoL but to you I say fuck off

Andrew Watson
Andrew Watson

She doesn't need any, she'll always have work because of Pokemon, Conan, and Evangelion, and probably a bunch of other stuff that I've forgotten.

Jonathan Moore
Jonathan Moore

YKK
Hyouka
Inclined to agree

Hidamari Sketch
Aria
Ichigo Mashimaro
Arguable

rest
Lol no. You really didn't understand what made K-On!! good.

Joshua Torres
Joshua Torres

In 20 years there will be an article about HanaKana complaining about the "current state of the industry" and how everything was so much better in the '10s. Mark my words.

Brody Diaz
Brody Diaz

Because of the fast pace of the industry, it’s common to fill voice actors schedules with as much work as possible, get them up on stage, and build up all the buzz you can. That’ll make you feel like you’re an absolutely essential individual, but in just three years all that could change. I don’t want companies to go chasing after small yet quick and easy, profits, but they don’t really have any intention of developing voice actors long-term

Guess she has a point. The seiyuufu of today are not the seiyuufu of 5 years ago. Who even remembers them?

Bentley White
Bentley White

Love Hina was okay. If you go into it expecting some kind of masterpiece then what you're going to get is absolute shit relatively. I don't know why some people hold it up like its some sort of classic, but its an alright harem, nothing more.

Brayden Bell
Brayden Bell

she's retired. It's only old contractual obligations she'll come in and voice for, sort of like how Wakamoto has retired but still honors old contracts he signed by showing up to record some lines.

she got married and settled down as a housewife.

Luke Cooper
Luke Cooper

I promise you this she will get a couple of main roles apparently.

Even this generations Otaku want her in LN's and other manga because of her prolific voice.

Josiah Perry
Josiah Perry

Now that a literal who's prime has past and younger, more talented people are taking her spotlight means she thinks the modern industry is worse than when she was in the spotlight.

Kevin Scott
Kevin Scott

1)Aria: The Origination
2)Aria: The Animation
3)Aria: The Avvenire
4)Aria: The Natural
5)Aria The OVA: Arietta
6)Natsume Yuujinchou San
7)Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou
8)Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
9)Natsume Yuujinchou
10)Kino no Tabi
11)Haibane Renmei
12)Non Non Biyori
13)Non Non Biyori: Repeat
14)Hamtaro
15)Tamayura: More Agressive
16)Tamayura Hitotose
17)Tamayura
18)Sakura Trick
19)Mushishi
20)Barakamon
21)Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
22)Maria-sama ga Miteru
23)Nichijou
24)Moyashimon
25)Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Benjamin Lopez
Benjamin Lopez

now that the market has expanded and there is more competition it's harder to remain popular
No fucking shit. It's still niche, but that goes without saying.

Gavin Rivera
Gavin Rivera

literal who

I'll cut you up, faggot

Juan Diaz
Juan Diaz

Meh, Tamayura really bored me to sleep, and I'm a big fan of Aria.

Logan Ramirez
Logan Ramirez

And Madoka was better than Haruhi; what's your point?

Robert Edwards
Robert Edwards

The market is unbelievably saturated. This isn't a problem just for anime, western scripted shows is saturated, film is saturated, games are saturated, music is saturated. Mass media just doesn't hold the cultural power it once did. Things have changed, and whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.

Ian Long
Ian Long

Naoko Yamada > post-Tutu Satojun.

If you disagree then you should just hand out your anime badge.

Joseph Ortiz
Joseph Ortiz

0/10 taste

Nolan Lee
Nolan Lee

18)Sakura Trick

Joshua Jones
Joshua Jones

I'll kick your face in man

Luis Taylor
Luis Taylor

It's just yet another dude who didn't get K-On!! (probably only watched the mediocre first season) and was quick to jump on the ignorant backlash train.

John Mitchell
John Mitchell

Honestly, I kinda agree. And I'm a huge Aria fag, it's like my favorite anime.

It's not that I didn't like Tamayura, far from it. It was healing as fuck. But it was almost TOO healing. Aria had that perfect balance, where as Tamayura was ALL HEALING ALL THE TIME.

Evan Walker
Evan Walker

I want Megumi voicing more MILFs

Ian Howard
Ian Howard

generic lol so random XD harem romcom
better than anything

harutards...

Ethan Murphy
Ethan Murphy

Aria is shit

Ayden Green
Ayden Green

Just wanna voice chinese cartoon heroes and shit
Also have to be pretty and sociable and know how to sing and dance
Will stop getting roles once you're an ugly hag

Seiyuu work a shit

Cameron King
Cameron King

she's retired.
Bullshit. Megumi was close to be axed because of she was having a child without the Otaku and industry knowledge.

Why not have her voice as loli and MILF in the same time user.

Charles Flores
Charles Flores

Looking back, Hayashibara marks the 1990s as being a turning point for voice actors. Prior to that, the nature of their work kept them largely out of the public eye, but the ‘90s were the start of a boom in voice actress name recognition and fandom. This period saw an increasing number of magazine spreads filled with glossy photos of voice actresses, something Hayashibara at first felt puzzled and apprehensive about. “What’s going to happen when people see how different their faces are from the characters they’re voicing?” she remembers wondering.

It's sad that seiyuu have become idols. It only brings a lot of unnecessary trouble.

Nathan Rivera
Nathan Rivera

I liked the initial OVA, since it felt like it balanced the focus between photography and healing nicely. But I had a hard time finishing Hitotose because of the reason you described, and I doubt I'll ever watch More Aggressive for that reason.

Hudson Thompson
Hudson Thompson

she was having a child without the Otaku and industry knowledge.

Good reason to retire. What a stupid industry.

James Nelson
James Nelson

No, not really

Dude made G-rekt, so now he's a hack.

Hajime Yatate is more important than him

Anthony Turner
Anthony Turner

Kana Hana is still hot shit. Same thing (sorta) with Rie Kugimiya.

It's a shame Mai Nakahara doesn't get much roles because she's awesome

Isaac Gomez
Isaac Gomez

I only watch originals. Knowing that something will be an incomplete adaptation just turns me off.

Joseph Mitchell
Joseph Mitchell

flip flappers
nanideska

Ryan Taylor
Ryan Taylor

So what advice does Hayashibara have for young voice actors? For one thing, she tells them to be mentally prepared to make the best of a script with stale, clichéd dialogue.

This woman is wonderfully blunt.

Elijah Hughes
Elijah Hughes

Are you pretending EVA invented tsundere characters or the harem genre? Or fanservice?

Levi Brooks
Levi Brooks

You didn't read my post son, I said she didn't retire.

She has one main role that's Gen new Chinese puppet project. She will get more roles and a couple of main roles it's starting to heat up with Mai.

Michael Torres
Michael Torres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHGz8tMZWSc

Caleb Bell
Caleb Bell

CoD is literally influential in that it changes up their shit every damn time, the lastest game is going for an even more arcadey colorful look.
This is the game that was the epitome of grimdark edgy back in the day.

CoD is so high budget, it's not soulless at all. You fell for a /v/ meme

Parker Richardson
Parker Richardson

Yeah, lets just make these seiyuu voice anime only and pay them peanuts. Don't give them extra work/income so they'll have to find part time jobs like flipping burgers or washing toilets. Do you fucks like to see seiyuu suffering?

Jayden Diaz
Jayden Diaz

T-t-they're both harem romcoms. Is that the joke?

Luis Miller
Luis Miller

We want the Splatoon audience

Nathan Nguyen
Nathan Nguyen

Do you fucks like to see seiyuu suffering?

Yes

Ethan Cruz
Ethan Cruz

The only literal whos now are the seasonal seiyuu the industry is constantly pumping and dumping with shit roles until they stop looking pretty.

Mason Martin
Mason Martin

They always had the underaged audience.

Connor Ortiz
Connor Ortiz

Evangelion is better than Haruhi and that isn't saying much.
The best Haruhi has to offer is Disappearance and EOE blows it right out of the water.

Henry Russell
Henry Russell

not much, all she wanted to be back voicing Rei again.
Sauce.

Brandon Jenkins
Brandon Jenkins

Kids don't play splatoon, they are too cool for dumb things like colors and cute characters.

Thomas Price
Thomas Price

So seiyuu were flipping burgers in the 80s, 90s etc?

Dylan Bennett
Dylan Bennett

My kid brother does. I consider him a kid, technically he's an adult.

Hudson Jenkins
Hudson Jenkins

NGE criclejerk

Yup, this is Sup Forums. Definitely Sup Forums.

Jayden Young
Jayden Young

W-wait you maybe onto something here

Anthony Roberts
Anthony Roberts

rocketnews24
thread is going to cap out
Jesus Christ you're easy, Sup Forums.

Sebastian Rodriguez
Sebastian Rodriguez

KyoAni is responsible for the idol seiyuu fad. First they created Aya Hirano. Then they popularized CGDCT by revealing its avenues of profit potential.

K-ON! is the first successful idol anime. They hired all rookie seiyuu and had them sing loads of songs. The legacy of that is pretty much all CGDCT shows afterwards being idolshit-lite, typically with OP&ED by the cast, all of them being in their 20s.

Camden Nelson
Camden Nelson

seiyuus complaining they have to work too hard
meanwhile animators are literally killing themselves and get paid a fraction of what they earn

Angel Jenkins
Angel Jenkins

It going to be interesting whos going to bite back real hard on Hayashibara recent comments about the seiyuu industry.

What's 2ch statements about this

Daniel Stewart
Daniel Stewart

Lucky Star season 2 will never happen because Slut Hirano sucked too many cocks

;_;

Elijah Allen
Elijah Allen

No, because they have other income provided to them like radio shows and appearing in magazines like Noriko Hidaka here.

Carter Richardson
Carter Richardson

No sauce, but that's what I think about why she came back for NGE movies

Blake Baker
Blake Baker

K-ON! is the first successful idol anime.
You're probably going to claim you're being retarded on purpose, but K-ON! is not an idol anime, and idolshit was popularized long before it even aired with stuff like The [email protected]

Xavier Rivera
Xavier Rivera

No, it's just stupid anons complaining that seiyuu shouldn't do "idol" jobs and instead should be flipping burgers.

Brandon Martinez
Brandon Martinez

madoka was the last big anime original that is not gundam or idol shit

Jonathan Moore
Jonathan Moore

hanakana
not still hot shit
queen of tsun
not always casted in a specific niche

Henry Garcia
Henry Garcia

They still are, newbie seiyuu can't sustain themselves so they have other jobs.

Joshua Sullivan
Joshua Sullivan

http://archive.nyafuu.org/c/thread/2640412/#2651069

Jaxon Thompson
Jaxon Thompson

Try reading what she actually says instead of Sup Forums strawmen. But you aren't interested in being informed anyway.

Anthony Harris
Anthony Harris

madoka was the last big anime original
I don't know what's worse, you making that statement or the fact that there are probably people on the planet who earnestly believe it to be true.

Chase Rodriguez
Chase Rodriguez

Osomatsu-san.

Bentley Green
Bentley Green

How much did the Xenoglossia anime sell? Because I realize [email protected] the video game is older but the A-1 anime wasn't until 2 years after K-ON!. Don't know if Xenoglossia can be considered to kick off the trend. Macross is older but idols weren't always the primary focus.

Charles Allen
Charles Allen

Yurikuma was Ikuhara worst work
remake of a manga/anime of the 60s

Liam Taylor
Liam Taylor

As much of a remake as Gundam IBO was a remake of 0079.

Andrew Gray
Andrew Gray

still not anime original

Daniel Richardson
Daniel Richardson

Yurikuma wasn't exactly a "big" production.

Luis Cruz
Luis Cruz

to be fair, japanese companies often times provides free housing, utility and discount cafeteria at work, health insurance, etc. so when it's all said and done, you actually have very little living expenses, and thus you get to keep most of your paycheck each month.

Joshua Bell
Joshua Bell

But it is, it has no source material.
Not sure what was the point of claiming that madoka was the last big anime if you have to make all these exceptions and mental gymnastics.

Leo Phillips
Leo Phillips

KLK faggot

Adam Clark
Adam Clark

What was big about Madoka other than how popular it got once it caught fire in the west?

Brayden Turner
Brayden Turner

Anno said he liked Homura

Michael Brooks
Michael Brooks

On the flipside, she was arguably the first seiyuu to also develop an equally successful singing career, so one could also argue that she's indirectly responsible for the rash of idol seiyuu we have today.

Austin Johnson
Austin Johnson

"I was happy to voice Rei again, because previous things I had done never felt like Rei. When I was back in voicing those old lines, I felt like I was back."

Could she make another prime run once again after all those being irrelevant and still put a thorn on the idol industry she created.

Gabriel Adams
Gabriel Adams

It's not like it had Aniplex, GenUro, ume and Kalafina being part of the production, right?
learn english then

Camden Lee
Camden Lee

as much i liked KLK what shows were made like that? Madoka had a long list of clones with anime and manga after it came out. of course madoka didn't invent dark themed mahou shojo, but it give them a lot of popolarity back

Nathan Lee
Nathan Lee

Oh God, for a second there I thought she had died. Don't spook me like that, dammit.

Aaron Wilson
Aaron Wilson

learn english then
So much ironing. Anyway, fuck your rules. There have been plenty of great originals in the 5 years since Madoka aired. Just because they didn't have all-star staff line-ups doesn't mean shit.

Thomas Jenkins
Thomas Jenkins

You shouldn't mention in the first place

Hunter Turner
Hunter Turner

To be fair they are existing franchises already, but to your credit they are attempting something more unique in order to stay relevant. Meanwhile new shows stick to formulas that work in order to get to the same level as the older properties.

Irony?

Ayden Williams
Ayden Williams

So if you think about it, the thing she complains about for voice actresses nowadays is largely her fault.

Josiah Morgan
Josiah Morgan

What is he doing now?

Easton Parker
Easton Parker

You mean source of the webm? They say it in the webm, or at least I could find it by looking up the name the giant dude drops.

Isaac Brooks
Isaac Brooks

Does she kinda realize what she said is total irony and bullshit.

This is just too funny to me

Aaron Gutierrez
Aaron Gutierrez

I found it a while ago, I forget what it is but search harder.

Caleb Rivera
Caleb Rivera

You fucking dumbass. Go back to /pol/. What you are saying isn't relevant to this discussion.

Anthony Baker
Anthony Baker

Trigger's next show will save original anime. Imaishi, Nakashima, Yoshinari, Nishigori. The Gurren Lagann team together again.

James Reyes
James Reyes

Everybody has already forgotten about TTGL.
Meanwhile Lucky Star clones are still being made to this day.

Gabriel Lewis
Gabriel Lewis

Didn't she take a break to focus on her kids? Now that they're older, I hope we can witness the Hayashibara renaissance.

Lucas Cook
Lucas Cook

So you're objectively wrong thinking it is as good today than it was then.
hurr repeat until the end of time

how about stop being a sheep and enjoy what you think is great without needing to find comfort belittling what others enjoy

Grayson Brooks
Grayson Brooks

I actually prefer anime from the late 2000s-current v. Mid 2000s - previous. I feel like there's way more I enjoy than before. Content had improved a lot.

So when I read how things are getting worse it's hard to agree.

Daniel Thompson
Daniel Thompson

She did say she was puzzled and apprehensive the first time she noticed. If she foresaw better it would make little difference, as a flourishing career would be too hard to pass up.

Asher Cruz
Asher Cruz

Ask Trigger to see they could put Hayashibara as the main lead, it would be something special

Matthew Barnes
Matthew Barnes

TRIGGER PRESENTS:
SLAYERS
DYNAST ARC

Jaxon Perez
Jaxon Perez

oh man that brings back memories of endless hours of argument on usenet about Lina X Gabby.

Noah Price
Noah Price

washed up hag says anime was better when she wasn't so irrelevant
I love a lot of her roles, but let's face it, she's hardly impartial.

Julian Garcia
Julian Garcia

Trigger's next show
How much self-fellatio will it feature?

David Young
David Young

Too bad its Asuka's va the one who is dying.

Zachary Anderson
Zachary Anderson

Personally, I just don't like the switch from by-hand coloring to digital in newer shows. The darker colors in older shows looked so much better compared to the lighter pallet used today, but it makes sense that they would use lighter colors more often due to how TVs and monitors work nowadays in regards to how they display blacks and greys.

Jose Cruz
Jose Cruz

Hayishabara
washed up
She's Teh Rei you fucking newfriend

Josiah Thomas
Josiah Thomas

Well her article interview is posted up there too.

Someone needs to download the RAW magazine and do the translations. Those 90s seiyuu articles pretty interesting.

Easton Baker
Easton Baker

I know this is bait, but kill yourself nonetheless.

Samuel Bell
Samuel Bell

Lisa Ortiz is the better Lina Inverse

Hudson Nguyen
Hudson Nguyen

Yes and...?

You're saying I'm wrong about her being partial with her opinions?

Charles Cox
Charles Cox

due to how TVs and monitors work nowadays in regards to how they display blacks and greys.
I don't understand. Blu-ray versions of old shows still display the gorgeous shades of black & contrast when I watch them. What's wrong with current monitors?

Robert Ortiz
Robert Ortiz

I mean, you're just wrong. She still gets plenty of roles and is in no danger of becoming irrelevant. She was Rebecca in One Piece recently

Brayden Hughes
Brayden Hughes

Both are good, and I want to hear more of them in things. It's a shame the last game I heard Ortiz in was shit.

Hudson Nelson
Hudson Nelson

Shitty journalism to be fucking honest.

She laments "anime WHICH ARE TRYING to be similar to previous hits" and says she wants to be part of the projects that are trying to be original.

So basically rocketnews can't fucking read or is spinning her words to mean something she didn't say.

Joshua Scott
Joshua Scott

She's basically calling out all these "Stranded in another world where everyone I meet just so happen to be hot girls who want my dick" animes as shit

And she should

She's Lina Fucking Inverse

Cooper Bell
Cooper Bell

Its going to be a Mazinger Z rip off this time

Luke Rivera
Luke Rivera

And that's fine.
But rocketnews tries to make it seem like she's calling out the entire industry or something.

Brayden Turner
Brayden Turner

ur partial

Cameron Gray
Cameron Gray

Yeah, the original colors are still there in older shows, but modern displays can't show dark colors as well as CRT could.

Michael Sanchez
Michael Sanchez

better than K-Off
I'll never know what people see in this show.
It has a great manga, certainly, but the anime was okay at best, and pretty shit at worst.

Also, like the other user said, most of the other things on this list are laughable, so I think you're a troll anyway, but I have seen similar adulation for the SoreMachi anime elsewhere.

Gavin Gonzalez
Gavin Gonzalez

Copy can't be better than the original.

Josiah Butler
Josiah Butler

She still gets plenty of roles
She's talented and it's customary in the business to honor their elders, but you don't see her voicing many prominently popular characters at all, save for shit like Rebuild.

I like Hayashibara, but let's not pretend the peak of her career is not long since gone. The point I'm making is that it's natural for somebody who has gone from VA superstar to "respected veteran" to feel that the anime from the time when she was a star are better. Sorry if my rough language insulted your feelings.

Ryan Parker
Ryan Parker

If a copy is better than the original, then is it truly a copy?

Landon Jones
Landon Jones

Kek, the only thing you've insulted is your own argument.

Trying to paint Hayashibara as bitter when she enjoyed and still enjoys plenty of success is a reach. Especially in the context of the article, where her main concern is how young seiyuus are "pumped and dumped."

Benjamin Williams
Benjamin Williams

Yes, it's an improved copy.

Connor Hill
Connor Hill

Trying to paint Hayashibara as bitter
I did no such thing. I just said her behavior is perfectly natural. Just like old people think the world was a better place when they were young.

You just showed again that you're taking this as some sort of offense when I'm merely trying to state the obvious.

Levi Lewis
Levi Lewis

but you don't see her voicing many prominently popular characters at all, save for shit like Rebuild.
This is because you only watch late night anime or whatever else horriblesubs spits out.

She'll have Detective Conan and Pokemon until the heat death of the sun. Not to mention cameos in other shows, and a radio program. And Rei.

Thomas Long
Thomas Long

She'll have Detective Conan and Pokemon until the heat death of the sun
save for shit like rebuild (i.e. roles she has been carrying since the time she was popular)

Not to mention cameos in other shows, and a radio program.
prominently popular characters

And Rei
See first ironic greentext.

Fanboys are the worst.

Christopher Walker
Christopher Walker

“Anime in the ‘90s was overflowing with ambition

It was more possible then to have artistic or story-oriented anime series. Anime back then depended upon video sales and people did purchase videos in their various physical formats. The amount of video piracy was also far less than it is now.

Shows dedicated to merchandise sales aren't as concerned with the story. Another change to laws in the late 1990's allowed closer marketing ties to shows followed by another law change in the 2000's which allowed anime shows to even feature the logos and products of advertisers in the body of the anime itself. Prior to that law change, the most daring use of a product in an anime was in Assemble Insert ironically as an insert advertisement. But that was admittedly unattractive, so it's no wonder advertisers didn't use that approach until they got that law changed.

As a result of the three legal changes, the use of product marketing in anime took off. With the money from these types of sponsors, the creation of anime as a storytelling medium in its own right took a back seat as the money from video sales dwindled as normal consumers stopped buying videos thus leaving video sales mostly in the hands of otaku or dedicated fans. You can see how One Piece drags out each anime arc in order to support sales campaigns that last for 6 months or longer for products related to that arc. The sales of merchandise and licenses far outstrips video sales and in many cases, the japanese companies even let the piracy go by. For example, one anime company contacted boxtorrents long ago to not have one title that was trying to depend on video sales, but that company left all the other anime alone. That's probably because the more reverse import that occurs, the more chance those japanese fans will purchase merchandise in which the studio almost certainly has a profit share via its position on the production committee.

Charles Fisher
Charles Fisher

The problem is at this time the state of the industry is worse, especially in regards to creativity.

What the industry needs is more variety in shows and more normal people watching but that won't happen because anime on japanese tv isn't as popular as it used to be in the past.

Easton Williams
Easton Williams

i.e.
no, but, see, what I really meant was...
Okay.

Just responding to what I see, bro.

John Rivera
John Rivera

Hayashibara trying to steer her kids away as possible from the seiyuu/idol industry. If she does let her kids join it will be easy cake for them.

Kayden Hill
Kayden Hill

The nineties were easily the worst era in regards to shows with stagnating premises that you had already seen a million times before. You also had the entire OVA movement at the time that was trying to live off pass glories. Tremendous bias at work here on her part.
What do most people remember from the nineties?
I would say it was about as bad if not worse than current anime.
Seiyuu business is fucked up in general, not just regarding newbies. Because of how payment works and how many genuinely talented newbies (specially females) there are, there isn't much incentive to hire veteran seiyuu.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page