Do you unironically enjoy pre-2000's anime?

Jack Nelson
Jack Nelson

Do you unironically enjoy pre-2000's anime?

All urls found in this thread:
http://getamped2.cyberstep.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU
https://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/msubs-tshs-lensman-movie-v2-and-lensman-tv-episode-1/
Bentley Taylor
Bentley Taylor

yes

Isaac Davis
Isaac Davis

Why wouldn't I enjoy it?

Jordan Gray
Jordan Gray

The majority of worthwhile anime is pre-2000. Whether or not you realize this depends on how many shows you've watched and for how long you've been watching, i.e. one's taste, or lack of it.

Liam Mitchell
Liam Mitchell

You mean back before creative expression was killed by disgusting otaku pedophiles?

Yeah, I do.

Brayden Ward
Brayden Ward

Gundam 0079 is the oldest I'll go

Bentley Nguyen
Bentley Nguyen

Am I not supposed to enjoy this?

Jaxson Russell
Jaxson Russell

More than post 2000 for sure.

Henry Perez
Henry Perez

Based stair jumping is based

Ryder Bennett
Ryder Bennett

I don't understand the immense reverence people have for 90s anime. I've watched Evangelion, Escaflowne, Sailor Moon and several other well-regarded 90s anime and all of them left me cold. Granted, I was born in 1997 so I wasn't watching anime when it first permeated the Western mainstream.

I think people just have rose-tinted glasses for that era because it reminds them of their adolescence.

Adam Phillips
Adam Phillips

No it's just your shit taste.

Noah Cook
Noah Cook

Yes

Nolan Sanchez
Nolan Sanchez

I enjoy some pre-2000s anime just like I enjoy some post-2000s anime

Jack Ward
Jack Ward

More like you have shit taste. Time to go build up some standards.

Tyler Cruz
Tyler Cruz

That was pretty cool though. I wish I could jump stairs like that.

James Murphy
James Murphy

Yeah, but it's pointless to talk about it on Sup Forums because it'll just summon a hundred faggots who want to lament the supposed decline of anime.

Dominic Myers
Dominic Myers

I don't know, it's awesome.

Oliver Nelson
Oliver Nelson

I think I have pretty good taste. I've probably watched more "good" anime than either of you.

Besides, just because you don't like the anime I listed doesn't mean they aren't critically and commercially revered.

Jackson Ward
Jackson Ward

I have good taste
I'm barely old enough to post on this board
Nice try, kiddo.

Hudson Lee
Hudson Lee

Gundam SEED is the best anime ever made.
Ok if you say so

Ethan Moore
Ethan Moore

Goddamn, Tommy Two Year Old.

Nolan Brown
Nolan Brown

I don't think they're saying those shows are shit. They might be saying your taste is shit because you dislike them, though. And it is.

Zachary Nelson
Zachary Nelson

gundam seed has the record of the most succes in anime ever with more than 200k copies sold for only the first dvd.

here we go lads

Ryan Anderson
Ryan Anderson

what BDs are coming very soon?

Jordan Allen
Jordan Allen

I think I have pretty good taste
Just like every 12 years old on MAL.
I've probably watched more "good" anime than either of you
Considering the shit standards coming with your shit taste? Unlikely.

Jonathan Gray
Jonathan Gray

well you gonna tell us what this is?

Ayden Perry
Ayden Perry

Yes but that movie sucked dick

Evan Walker
Evan Walker

Reported for being an underage faggot,kill yourself.

Isaiah Long
Isaiah Long

old anime was so much better than today

Jonathan Collins
Jonathan Collins

Anyone who would answer no to this question should be immediately shot

Kayden Long
Kayden Long

Yes. Gotta problem buddy?

Easton Jones
Easton Jones

I hate most anime from all periods, but at the half way point of Gunbuster you get that grit factor that rubbed off on TTGL as well.
Some of the 80s cheese is a bit too strong in it too.
The ending's great either way.

Michael Morales
Michael Morales

Trigun is my favourite anime of all time so yes

i love older anime as well

Anthony Mitchell
Anthony Mitchell

Honestly, your question triggered me.

Of course I do.

Liam James
Liam James

there will never be another hentai as funny as cream lemon

Jace Reed
Jace Reed

No I only watch it ironically

Jose Torres
Jose Torres

Yes and a lot of it is really really really fucking bad. People really do love to bloat up those times using cheery picked examples.

Landon Russell
Landon Russell

80's anime is ultra comfy.
Some shows like Fist of The North Star really hit it out of the park when it comes to the soundtrack.
Speaking of soundtracks, the Berserk anime really left an impression on me by barely having any music. It felt refreshing to not have audio cues telling me what I'm supposed to feel from a scene.

Now the 00's were the true dark ages of anime, good riddance.

Michael Turner
Michael Turner

Anime died in 1996.

Austin Gray
Austin Gray

>>141990692
People born in 1997 aren't underage anymore.

Asher Russell
Asher Russell

The best anime director ever I feel is Osamu Dezaki (Rose of Versailles, Takarajima, Ashita no Joe etc) and his prime was between 1970 and 1980, I feel you are doing yourself a disservice by only watching modern stuff.

Ryan Brooks
Ryan Brooks

The people who took inspiration from him basically created the modern industry.

Austin Evans
Austin Evans

muh postcard memories

Alexander Lee
Alexander Lee

Which is a good thing, I mean.

Jace Bailey
Jace Bailey

Good to see that there's still hope for Sup Forums

Adam Hill
Adam Hill

I hate most anime from all periods
I should go to the anime board!

Jaxson Jenkins
Jaxson Jenkins

fellow 97fag and i can confirm that not all of use have this shit taste
now, i do have a nostalgiaboner for anime made between 2000 and 2010, but that's only because i grew when those were made
i don't know how the fuck sailor moon could leave someone cold

William Fisher
William Fisher

12 year olds aren't allowed on this website.

James Watson
James Watson

macross dyrl is the most well-animated film ever made

Kevin Young
Kevin Young

Yes.

Landon Kelly
Landon Kelly

no they aren't
why are you stating well known facts

James Moore
James Moore

I feel like I recognize this but can't place it. Is this a mecha series?

Matthew Butler
Matthew Butler

the lensman movie

Kevin Allen
Kevin Allen

Yes. Even in his most girly of shoujo, Dezaki's directorial hand has always been very strong and masculine.
Great, director with a great, distinct visual style.
Which is about 90% of the industry.
And there's Ikuhara, who basically made Utena as Rose of Versailles with even more gay.

Brandon Rodriguez
Brandon Rodriguez

Indeed.
I just happened to drop by. Not regular here.

Cameron Jones
Cameron Jones

Fuck off.

What exactly is a masculine directing style?

Nicholas Carter
Nicholas Carter

There's no reasonable point as to why you wouldn't

Christian Turner
Christian Turner

SF Shingeki Lensman

Jacob Hill
Jacob Hill

Some not all.

Jacob Lee
Jacob Lee

I miss 80s sci-fi anime

Dominic Hernandez
Dominic Hernandez

It's somewhere between ok and shit most of the time, but when it's good, it's phenomenal.

Ethan Hall
Ethan Hall

'-' hi i am gato and i like mostachos and anime games '-' and ice cream '-' ice cream '-'

Blake Ramirez
Blake Ramirez

I'll agree that 90s western animation/movies were all just crap, but i liked it when i was young, but these anime shows are actually well made and drawn and still love them to this day.

Lucas Brooks
Lucas Brooks

You will never get animation like that ever again

Luke Howard
Luke Howard

unironically
t. 2015 user

Aiden Cook
Aiden Cook

This movie had over 80K cells

Nathaniel Howard
Nathaniel Howard

http://getamped2.cyberstep.com/

Sir_Gato of icecream speak bye '-'

Gabriel Nguyen
Gabriel Nguyen

cheery picked
wew

Alexander Powell
Alexander Powell

You must also think CoD is the best game ever then. No wait it's candy crush isn't it.

Tyler Brown
Tyler Brown

I feel like girls were cuter back then too

I just love the way old anime looks. There is a lot more detail and the fine lines stand out so much.

But my only gripe is the writing, some stories no matter how nice the animation, seemed to be all over the place

Jaxson Mitchell
Jaxson Mitchell

Well, 0079 is better than any Gundam that came after it.

Brayden Jenkins
Brayden Jenkins

I miss 70s MotW mecha anime.
I feel like animated super robots as a whole peaked with Voltes V

Caleb Perez
Caleb Perez

I totally agree about the art-style, and the story bit to a moderate extent (but that's hardly as important when you consider that a lot of ideas were being thrown around back then).

I mean holy crap things just looked so much more detailed in a lot of the better shows. Frames had more things in them and are on their own much more interesting to look at than in a lot of popular modern shows. I don't know why this was but if I had to wager it was the lack of digital templates perhaps.

Regardless modern character models also by by and large seem a bit copy-pasted. I just loved Sadamoto's character designs and the outfits of a lot of characters in popular pre-2000 shows just seemed more life-like and fleshed out.

Gabriel Perez
Gabriel Perez

I fucking hate those.

Jaxon Nguyen
Jaxon Nguyen

But my only gripe is the writing, some stories no matter how nice the animation, seemed to be all over the place
This seemed to happen a lot when animators, who were part of the first generation to grow up as otaku going to work in anime, got to sit in the director's chair.
They made a lot of OVAs that had great style, slick animation and were a lot of fun to watch.
They just had pretty shitty or generic at best stories because the animators knew animation, not story structure.

Thomas Perry
Thomas Perry

I don't know why this was but if I had to wager it was the lack of digital templates perhaps.
What do you mean by that? Things are still drawn from scratch these days.

Brayden Wood
Brayden Wood

upside down
hair defying gravity
Nice "sakuga" retards

James Cooper
James Cooper

muh realism

Wyatt Thomas
Wyatt Thomas

Yes.

Jose Foster
Jose Foster

Oh yeah. And pre-2000 live-action movies and series. And music.

Isaac Cook
Isaac Cook

Tell me Angel Cop isn't enjoyable and I'll call you a liar

William Johnson
William Johnson

Angel Cop isn't enjoyable.

Angel Lewis
Angel Lewis

Why would you do that, user? Just go on the internet and tell lies like that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

Jonathan Hernandez
Jonathan Hernandez

Liar.

Joseph Miller
Joseph Miller

its enjoyabnle cause its the single worst anime ive watched, never have i seen a show just go full throttle on the retard button and keep getting more and more batshit insane as it went on. Its fucking hysterical and i highly recommend it for people who want something to crack a few beers and watch with friends

Blake Nelson
Blake Nelson

Is this the retro anime thread?
Anyways I just finished watching pic related. Anyone else watched it? It's hard to find discussion of this show anywhere because it's so obscure.

Ayden King
Ayden King

space captain tylor had a great climax that I still get goosebumps from when I rewatch it

Jason Adams
Jason Adams

people worship things out of nostalgia
Welcome to the Internet

Nathan Barnes
Nathan Barnes

Jesus, I thought Japanese law didn't let you show shit that graphic.

Dominic Evans
Dominic Evans

My fucking sides, source?

Leo Powell
Leo Powell

Yes, someone of us grew up on 80s/90s anime and then there are poor souls like you OP.

Jayden Clark
Jayden Clark

OVAs were never bound by television decency laws.

Jayden Taylor
Jayden Taylor

I remember seeing it at a Blockbusters decades ago and thinking the title was weird. Is it actually worth bothering with?

Robert Long
Robert Long

I am intrigued. Source?

Angel Lewis
Angel Lewis

I really like hxh 99

Christopher Ramirez
Christopher Ramirez

You think that's graphic? Well you've never seen a Japanese vagina or penis. Pray you'll never see the Lovecraftian horrors beneath those protective mosaics.

Evan Kelly
Evan Kelly

Look at the post it's quoting.

Jason Davis
Jason Davis

I do!

Dylan Taylor
Dylan Taylor

He's just a soldier

Angel Foster
Angel Foster

It's pretty average and one of those adaptions where you look to the manga for the full package. The humour is a hit and miss and some parts were boring (it is an SoL, and an old one at that).
The last two episodes go full romance and depending on your mood you may or may not enjoy it. Personally I was in the mood that time so I enjoyed it even though it's not the most well-written piece in the world. It also has a qt delinquent girl and I think she made it worth it in the end.

I don't know how the manga compares to the anime so that's something I have yet to check out.

Joshua Carter
Joshua Carter

I just like the look of older anime a lot more. It's a lot easier on the eyes without super bright colors.

It's the same thing that happened to cartoons, now that I think about it. Both old cartoons and anime had a kinda saturated look to them.

Daniel Gray
Daniel Gray

gg rocket spamming fagget.

Zachary James
Zachary James

It's such a shame that such a good looking OVA was ruined by such a horseshit plot.

Owen Phillips
Owen Phillips

Didn't the director die partway through production?
Which is why Nina has such a broken character arc.

Ryder King
Ryder King

Pretty sure it was 08th MS Team that had the director die midway through, but I remember both OVAs had director problems.

Hunter Jones
Hunter Jones

I've enjoyed watching very few things as much as Angel Cop. G-d bless Itano

Jordan Russell
Jordan Russell

Of course!

Jackson Walker
Jackson Walker

Yes.

The animation may be shittier, but human creativity through writing never changes

Matthew Hall
Matthew Hall

I think the animation is better, but that may just be me liking the style more.

Adam Carter
Adam Carter

There's something really comforting about knowing that you're never going to have any scenes randomly ruined by cheap CG effects.

Brandon White
Brandon White

CG was a mistake. Even old Gonzo CG doesn't bug me as much as shit like this does.

Jackson Scott
Jackson Scott

You've clearly haven't seen Genocyber.

Aaron Rogers
Aaron Rogers

didn't consider any pre-2000's anime, clearly

Connor White
Connor White

Fuck yeah I do. Slayers, Evangelion, Orphen, GitS and Gunbuster are some of my favorites.

Jason Cook
Jason Cook

good taste user

Dylan Collins
Dylan Collins

All time periods have good media.
All time periods have shit media.

Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris

I was born in 1997
these people are allowed to post here

I want off this ride.

Anthony Price
Anthony Price

unironically

I want /v/ to leave

Chase Walker
Chase Walker

This

The words these retards are looking for are usually "seriously" or "actually"

Asher King
Asher King

I love the small details in old non-CG animation.
Only the recent Gundam series make an attempt to replicate the good stuff.

Adam Williams
Adam Williams

Old anime had better stills, newer ones have better animation flow after everything went digital.

Old anime had cuter girls, newer ones have better lewd.

Old anime had battles and generic mecha, newer ones have more waifus and generic harems.

Old anime had better plot premises, newer ones have better developments. Well they mostly traded nonsensical development with self-aware meta developments.

Old anime had better shadows, newer ones have better line work.

David Johnson
David Johnson

Also, I just looked up the director.
It seems this OVA was also directed by the same person who worked on Orange Road, Maison Ikkoku, Umi ga Kikoeru, and YKK (2nd OVA) No wonder there was something special about the last scene.

Caleb Wilson
Caleb Wilson

So basically old anime is better in every way?

Miyazaki is right, otakus did ruin the industry.

Parker Russell
Parker Russell

Are there any anime that even do hand drawn shit for every frame anymore? I can't think of any in recent memory.

Gavin Anderson
Gavin Anderson

I think you're pretty wrong, like six months ago I watched SDF macross and it blew me away that an anime from fucking '82 could have a story like that, and I'm currently watching Turn A gundam and it's fantastic. Everyone likes different things, just because you can't live without digi-paint anime doesn't mean you should impose those views on other people.

Wyatt Cox
Wyatt Cox

born in 1997
Sailor Moon
left me cold
What the fuck do you like then, schoolboy

Luis Sanchez
Luis Sanchez

Naruto and One Piece, but I like Naruto more honestly as a child back then. One hell of a masterpiece compared to the shows I've mentioned.

Luke Perez
Luke Perez

You didn't even try, a person who feels nothing watching anything from 90s and older wouldn't make it through first arcs of Naruto and OP.

Jayden Rodriguez
Jayden Rodriguez

I think people just have rose-tinted glasses for that era because it reminds them of their adolescence.

It might also be that those things are just good. But no, that's impossible. It MUST be nostalgia.

Levi Jackson
Levi Jackson

I was born in 97 too, and apart from Penguindrum, Madoka, and that lesbian bear show, i'm pretty much all about 90's-early 2000's anime.
I feel like anime nowadays just move so fast, there's barely enough time to just sink in and enjoy everything.
Stuff has to be 12 episodes nowadays and I feel less emotionally connected to shows because of this.

John Wright
John Wright

Yes, Photon: Idiot Adventures was fucking hilarious.

Brandon Harris
Brandon Harris

Old anime had cuter girls
I absolutely disagree. Old anime had hags dressed in shitt 80s fashion.

Angel Ross
Angel Ross

You both sound like immeasurable faggots with some combination of shit taste and low power levels. We should raise the minimum age.

Ethan Diaz
Ethan Diaz

I certainly do. In fact, I'm watching pic related right now.

Nolan Evans
Nolan Evans

I need to watch this.

Oliver Jenkins
Oliver Jenkins

This is basically the fatal flaw of a lot of OVAs. You put someone like Obari in charge whose only priority is cool-looking bullshit, and you get a fucking mess with good animation.

Jackson Lee
Jackson Lee

because the animators knew animation, not story structure
See FMAB and how somehow who has no understanding of storytelling fucks up something solid.

Julian Bennett
Julian Bennett

I'd say there are more gems with pre 2000 shows than with newer stuff but obviously also a lot of bad stuff.
Venus Wars for instance was pretty bad and same with Arion.

Samuel Murphy
Samuel Murphy

That "best 1999 anime" thread blew my mind when I saw the list.

Andrew Lee
Andrew Lee

For Yas' stuff, you really have to read the manga instead. Arion was mediocre even in the manga though.

Justin Thompson
Justin Thompson

Yeah. My favorite is late 90s early 00s. At that time you had just the right mix of fantasy and reality. Early 90's and pre 90's was all pretty much high fantasy and hard Sci-fi, and late 00's and beyond is so focussed on daily life and relationships. Also cyberpunk was fucking great. Too bad we can't have it anymore since we're already living in a dystopian future.

Evan Bailey
Evan Bailey

GITS SAC: best anime I've ever watched. (Haven't watched Cowboy Bepop, so I wouldn't know if it's better).
It's from 2004 though... not 90s.

Kayden Mitchell
Kayden Mitchell

struggle to find decent video file types of pre2000 anime that aren't in a archaic format
it's all sub 480p with subs no one has touched since the 90s or worse, it's dubbed
i-it's part of the charm! muh nostalgia
there were just as many shit anime as there are now - per the amount of available anime
it was even harder to find anime in the 90s that wasn't extraordinarily popular - which is objectively by /a/'s standard all considered shit
Please keep your shit taste contained in the designated pre2000 anime thread/3x3 thread. Thanks!

Jose Reyes
Jose Reyes

Also watched 5 Star Stories yesterday and while it looked really nice the story went right over my head.

Xavier Stewart
Xavier Stewart

That's because it covers less than the first tenth of the manga, which is still ongoing.

Julian Miller
Julian Miller

Same thing, you have to read the manga. The movie's like only the prologue.

Kayden Miller
Kayden Miller

Yes.

Joshua Smith
Joshua Smith

yeah

Christian Roberts
Christian Roberts

I do agree it is has many shit anime as now but i still enjoy those with are good.

Adrian Kelly
Adrian Kelly

He doesn't

Julian Long
Julian Long

https://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/msubs-tshs-lensman-movie-v2-and-lensman-tv-episode-1/

Henry Sanders
Henry Sanders

Less ironically than post-2000 shit

Gavin Cook
Gavin Cook

Dude, that's not SAC.

Leo Hernandez
Leo Hernandez

I was arguing against
dipshit

Jace Robinson
Jace Robinson

If I tallied all anime I watched and divided it into pre2000 and post2000 categories and I'm sure the former would have more stuff I enjoyed.

John Wood
John Wood

Best mecha-design and pilot suit ever.
Too bad the plot and characters were fucking stupid.

Leo Reyes
Leo Reyes

Hey, characters and plot was somewhere between good and bearable, at least up until they start heading to Quent in the TV series.

A bunch of memorable characters were still introduced in the OVAs, but were either forgotten or killed off in some of the most uninteresting ways possible.

They should have just done a spin-off using pic-related.

Levi Garcia
Levi Garcia

I love Dirty Pair and need to finish. It's about everything I could want in a series and has a feeling like the original Charlie's Angels.

Blake Wood
Blake Wood

some stories no matter how nice the animation, seemed to be all over the place
I don't think that's really changed, though I agree.

David Cruz
David Cruz

You should at least post bad series from that era if you're going to be sarcastic.

Josiah Baker
Josiah Baker

Dumb mother fucker expects all anime made in the time before 720p and 1080p became a standard to have that same quality.

Low quality bait.

Eli Ross
Eli Ross

Dirty Pair is the pinnacle of fun anime and it's a shame they'll never make more

Gavin Lee
Gavin Lee

these tubes are too large

Julian Mitchell
Julian Mitchell

Holy shit!
what is this?

Jason Kelly
Jason Kelly

BDs kind of proved how objectively better cels were for animation. Just because some things are trapped in awful encodes or LD releases doesn't mean the original work was any worse.

Christopher Diaz
Christopher Diaz

struggle to find decent video file types of pre2000 anime that aren't in a archaic format
it's all sub 480p
Don't blame the time period for your own incompetence at finding files.

Zachary Flores
Zachary Flores

I was born in 1997. I enjoy lots of stuff made between 1981 and 1999, but I don't really feel excited or emotionally attatched to anime made before 1995. There's just no hype, no feels, nothing. Anime voice acting used to be mediocre back in the '70s and '80s.
Sure, I love the way cel animation and high-budget, high quality '80s anime OVAs/movies look, but I don't really care for their plots, their characters, or anything. By the way, anime girls were ugly as fuck back then.

Angel Brown
Angel Brown

Giant Robo OVA.
Worth all 9GB?

Thomas Kelly
Thomas Kelly

No. Read the manga instead.

Dylan Ross
Dylan Ross

i started watching some of the 00-09 shows i skipped when they aired. i am quite content

underageb&

Nolan Johnson
Nolan Johnson

Angel Cop is racist as fuck. There is a part where someone is going full tinfoil hat and thinks the jews are behind everything.

Juan Lee
Juan Lee

Someone doesn't know how to look very hard.

Jaxson Butler
Jaxson Butler

This is why we love OVAs

Camden Foster
Camden Foster

And that's part of the fun. It's like watching they live. It's also a great action movie.

Christian Jones
Christian Jones

Pee an electric fence, shittard.

Jordan Hall
Jordan Hall

yes

Carter Lopez
Carter Lopez

I enjoy anime from every decade and demographic and genre because I'm not an elitist fuck who thinks only [insert identifier] anime is good and the rest are shit.

Except samurai/period drama stuff. I can't get into that stuff, dunno why.

Logan Williams
Logan Williams

Yes, and you sounded like an immeasurable faggot with a low powerlevel.

Nolan Thomas
Nolan Thomas

enjoying anything made after 2010

being able to identify raw garbage is also a valuable skill user

Easton Martin
Easton Martin

IBO

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page