How did YOU survive the great recession?

How did YOU survive the great recession?

Oldfags get the FUCK in here

Other urls found in this thread:

thesimpledollar.com/meal-prep-day-simple-rice-and-beans/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Put all my savings into stocks the literal day after the crash, sold slowly, collected funemployment.

I didn't. Lost my house, then she left.
I did not fucking survive, OP.

I lived off unemployment for two years (mid 09 to mid 11). I was sending out resumes and going to interviews the whole time, though.

I graduated from highschool the year this hit.

This shit is all I've known my adult life.

I literally have no idea what a good economy is like.

FUCK

Gettin drank as fuck and working shit jobs.

Worked for the phone company. Didn't even notice except for the gas prices.

I got up, and went to work.

The recession never affected us fry cooks. I held my job at Wendy's, and I'm sure as hell not letting go.

>nearly 10 years at Wendy's

Damn, what is your salary now, 200k? 300k?

>gonna need a quick rundown

Traffic flagging. You can learn a lot from traffic flagging, but you'll mostly learn that it fucking sucks.

Doing what?

I graduated highschool at that time so after dicking around in a community college for a semester I joined the army.

Right before it went down I sold my business and house to move back home and help with a sick family member lived with them saved my profits until land was dirt cheap moved to Florida bought land on a little peninsula in the gulf opened a bar restaurant I sit on the beach and drink and bullshit with tourist all day now if not for the recession and my father in law dying I wouldn't be where I am now.

he also gets a +10 to his cock measurement

> literal day after the crash
drawdown took place over 1.5 years (10/07-03/09)

Graduated, didn't found a job, got on Neet bux, and started being a private independent pharmaceutical producer and salesman.

Bitch ex-wife was in graduate school so loans and we had a tenant in the upstairs apartment. I stumbled from contract to contract and finally landed a decent job in early 2009. Left that in 2010 because I couldn't handle 65 hour weeks for peanuts and no advancement. Got into a decent graduate school and been coasting since while I work on my next business.
>26 years old on 9/11
>35 during Great Recession
>My entire professional life has been scrambling, starving and losing my assets to that whore

that sounds quite nice.

Full jelly sandwich on that. Enjoy it, user.

Pure fucking luck

>I know that feel.

When i see 80's movies and see people buying cars on summer jobs, and using that summer job to pay for college, it's like watching a fairy tale. something that could never really happen in the real world.

or when I go further back, 50's, 60's, the concept of getting a well paying factory job or similar right out of high school without a specialized degree and 5+ years experience. being able to move out of your parents home at 18 and get married and start a family that young, and be able to actually support it... it's like "get real that could never happen!"

feels bad.

>getting married

I live in western PA. Didn't even notice.

Easy peasy niggah, I worked for the government. Of course I worked in a bretty specialized field of science so they eventually got around to eliminating my job in 2012, but by then the worst of it was over and I got a private sector job making way more than the feds paid. I mean, I'm sure it was bad for construction workers, stock brokers and mortgage brokers and shit but for people in actual skilled jobs it was more meme than anything. Also morons who bought houses they couldn't afford got fucked, but they deserved it for buying shit they couldn't afford on (((credit))).

>Itsanoldmemesirbutitchecksout.jpg

Kill her

My machine shop "stayed busy" but it survived in WPA. Busy as fuck now. I was worried for a while but no one got let go, just overtime shortened or cut depending on one's productivity.

Ironically my business actually went up during the recession.

A-lot of people were buying retired corporate asset PC's and laptops as opposed to bleeding edge new.

Business is still good, but not as good as 08-12

College, bullshit internships, freelancing and grad school. It sucked, but I eventually got a good job. Grad school was stupid, but having extra credentials down the road doesn't hurt and my parents paid for it, so I didn't have to go into debt.

I survived as I have before. I adapted my business to the changing times, and got through it.

Shit's pretty simple.

No one survived the great recession, we just put it off in a drug induced haze. Anyone who talks about how "they" survived is just ignoring that "they" put it off on our behalf, not our doing.

Most people in Australia survived because we flooded the economy with easy money, debt & the surplus we had from selling assets. That means they also kept our housing market inflated which we're paying for right now, so not sure we can talk about surviving anything we didn't yet get the chance to experience.

I worked at a crappy delivery job but saved every penny living in an apartment above my parents garage. Bought a house from a bank for 80k that I have had rented out since then, bought a raw piece of land which I built a house on and sold a couple years ago. I also started buying bank owned homes with another kid I worked at the delivery company with... we >bought our first house for 25k
>Sold for 110k after remodel

>Rinse and repeat 10x

Got enough cash built up this last year to buy a 6plex, 8plex and Duplex with tons of equity and pretty solid cashflow.

Don't need to work anymore but still do, going to build massive mcmansion looking box rat cage buildings for millennial shit heads to live in at a fair price.

t. 31 years old.

I survived by riding the tiger and sorting myself out.

>walk into kitchen
>dad is watching TV
>news stations are going crazy - it's the end of the world
>what's going on dad?
>just another recession
>are you effected at all?
>nope. I finished liquidating all our real estate holdings last month in preparation. Knew this was coming pretty soon. I'll start reinvesting in a week or two when everything bottoms out. We'll make a fortune
>k

Yep, it was a real tough time, but I got through it with hard work and perseverance.

I survived it by being 6. Everything is easy when you're 6.

Nice, my brother used to cook meth too.

Prior to the collapse, in the waning days of 2007 I worked as a designated driver. It was shit work driving roasties home from the bar while they threw up all over the inside of their own cars, but it paid rent. Early in 2008 I got let go. Or just dumped as an independent contractor.

I spent most of the summer surfing friends couches. Mowing lawns, did a little manual labor for a home remodeling guy hanging cabinets, some PHP bullshit from Craigslist, etc. Whatever I could do to buy food and try and contribute what little I could to the gracious friends that let me crash with them.

Finally, I got hired as a pizza delivery boy. I had a beat up piece of shit Toyota that had been parked with no insurance since I lost my job. I spend my last money getting it insured and buying a prepaid cellphone.

I showed up for work on time every day and delivered pizza. Rain, shine, attempted carjackings, and even a robbery while filling up gas. My car seized up one day. Did I quit? Nope. Bought another piece of shit for $700. I knew it was shit work, and that it was probably beneath me, but I did it well every day.

Two years of that, and I worked my way through the recession, depression and feeling like a street rat all the time. I finally landed a shit hourly job doing PHP work, which again, I knew was shit, and even paid less than pizza, but would get me somewhere better.

A year of that and as the recession was improving I got hired at a real software dev job making 60k. I learned that my technique and work ethic pulled me through a tough situation, which I didn't even recognize as a tough situation. I just thought that was life and it was shitty, still not sure I'm wrong about that. I've kept doing things the same way, and today I make more than twice that.

I keep my expenses low. I don't compete with other "young professional" hipsters for conspicuous consumption. I'm still a street rat, but in a few more years I'll be a millionaire.

I enlisted into the Army. It ended up sorting my life out and got me a masters degree without any student loans. Not a bad deal.

Real estate did not bottom out in a week or two. I sold in late 2006 and didn't buy again until late 2009.

Kek

>How did YOU survive the great recession?

worked my ass of saving an sme a fortune and helping it stay afloat. Now have good secure job.

if it ever goes back to how it was, then us degree cucks with years of exp will make bank

if

Those were great times for me, I was selling cable and internet like there was no tomorrow. Built an addition to my house lol.

>2008
>Oldfags.
Scientology raids were a mistake.

>>getting married
Object lesson for you younguns.

She's definitely in the "wouldn't extract from a car fire category". I'm hoping one of her dyke girlfriends does it for me.

Sold dope.

I cashed out every penny I had and paid my house off, for construction workers in Oregon the recession started in 2005 till about now, I lived off unemployment for a year and worked under the table jobs until about 3 years ago.

I graduated college in 2009, but I had a non-shit degree (Electrical Engineering) so I was fine. I only had 2 job offers though

Why type of holdings do you have? I just signed on a 6plex and Duplex this morning.

We always seem to be zigging when everybody else is zagging. We were fine in 08. Just the normal noises. Started the renovations of the house. Self funded our dog rescue.
DH didn't lose any money because he cashed out his 401K to put the down payment on the house in 96. I knew that 401K & IRAs were a scam to begin with.

Salaries are going down, down, down, though. After 35 years in the industry, he's making a little more than half of what he used to make (That was billable hours, though, so now he works normal hours and enjoys his job a LOT more. Different company. Different type of work in the same industry. Quality vs quantity.)

He was unemployed for a year when his crazy bitch of a boss went full menopausal, but he substitute taught during that time, so it stretched the unemployment until he found another job.

My best advice: Live like it's 1965 or 1970. Spending a couple/ several hundred dollars a month on phone/ cable/ internet is crazy. Don't buy more house than you need & shop wisely. Rein in that greedy real estate agent. Refi refi refi until you get your house payment way down. Ours is about a third what renting a decent (or probably any) apartment would cost.
Be a tightwad. People with money always go around talking about how poor they are. That usually means they're down to their last couple of thousand in their billfold. Avoid being "nigger rich".
Learn to cook and eat most meals at home. It tastes better, is healthier, & a lot cheaper (plus you don't have to deal with feeling ripped off when you overpay for a crappy meal.) Plus you know who touched your food (not some wetback) and that it was prepared in a sanitary way.

damn...i did almost the same...sold business... went to sw florida...bought a bunch of houses from $20k-65k cash...now just sit around enjoying life....in key west at fantasy fest right now

I had 4 jobs, it was exhausting.

I was in graduate school, so I didn't have to worry much other than science funding drying up pretty heavily. What I wish I would have done was immediately doubled down and invested all my money in an index fund and watch it triple in 10 years. Waiting on Jewberg Sachs to fuck over the working man again to do that. Should be any day now.

>parents lost their house
>bank wouldn't work with them even though both of them were employed
>learn the bank sold the house for less than what my parents owed

Here's the kicker: The lady they sold it to is Jewish. I learned that the same time I learned how much it had been sold for.

There is a foundation of rage, anger, and hatred built out of the love I have for my family and the pain they felt because of it.

>parents buy house they couldn't afford
>hurr its the jews

I was in college at the time. Teachers were depressed beacuse their 403b dropped 30%. Students were scared becuase job fairs and internship recruiting stopped. Mass migration off business and finance majors switching to stem and then flunking out. Fun times.

I was in college and rode that bitch out... worked PT jobs, got drunk and fucked college sloots.

Thank God we were not over mortgaged; had never bought the MacMansion.

I lived off of old shart

I never had any money to begin with, it's illusionary wealth and for (((faggots))) only.

You are in for a big buttfuck OP when the US economy tanks lel

I was in Uni, never even noticed it desu

Graduated HS in 2008 too.

Feels bad man.

I got a $50k/year stable job literally a month after the crash.

wow congrats on being a manager at mcdonalds

My salary dropped 5 times

Many such cases.

Same fucking here, the good economy is something completely foreign to me.
I'm still amazed I can get full-time easily if I needed to.

I was in college the entire time although it was almost impossible to get a summer job due to all the boomers working part time and stealing all the jobs

Sheeeeit, McD general managers make a lot more than that around here. I'd do it if it weren't such a hassle to get the uneducated white trash workers to actually put the meth down and show up for their shifts

Is key west still full of homos, like for real?

I hitchhiked there as a 14 year old boy in the mid 80's.
I did not know what a faggot was, and my entire stay in Key West like this one long threes company Chrissy-episode type adventure where dudes were trying to fuck me and I was completely oblivious and didn't realize it until decades later as I look back at me haplessly avoiding their advances and what were probably rape traps.
The town was absolutely infested with gays.

Can't wait til they die.

Lost my comfy job, collected funemployment for several months while I spent down my savings trying to survive. Tried to get some GIBS but was too white, I guess. Ended up with quite a bit of credit card debt by the time I got back to work, and I had to take a pay cut just to get a job. I don't think I've ever recovered from it but I learned how to get by without a lot of material comforts and I learned how to cook. I got my debt paid off and now I try to save as much money as possible until the next one happens.

>2008 recession
Young fags don't even know what a recession is.

I rented out my house for nearly twice my mortgage and then financed a second home with the profits.

I didn't, my business failed, I went back to school have 50k debt, just to go back to doing what I did before 08 for less money and fewer hours. Dirt poor wage slave. I quit drinking so atleast I got that going for me.

By not having debt.

That sucks, dude. I was lucky enough to get hired on to a power plant right before it all happened. No matter how bad shit gets, people still need electricity, so I was really well insulated.

This bubble will probably be called the student loan bubble, so a possible death of universities.

Nah. The bubble is deflating itself. Enrollment is dropping, and those that go are going for degrees that actually have the possibility of employment afterwards. All the worse for the dumbasses who went for useless degrees.

My country was basically untouched.

Thank Australia and Christchurch falling over repeatedly.

>Thank Australia, and also Christchurch falling over repeatedly.

I didn't, I lost my business and home.

I worked for jews

Same. I could not find a job no matter how hard I tried. Even minimum wage ($7.25/hr) jobs were impossible to come by. I resorted to selling weed/shrooms/mdma.
Now I have a real job but only make $16/hr and I make way less money than I did before.

Ate nothing but oatmeal, PB&J and crock pot meals for 2.5 years. Defaulted on my loans, didn't pay for car insurance or renew my tags. Only entertainment was riding my bike to the library because I couldn't afford cable, internet, or cell phone. I was honestly planning on taking all my shit, piling it into my car, and heading as far south as I could so I could live out the rest of my days as a homeless bum. I finally got some summer work pressure washing decks and hand digging footings to install foundations under houses. That got me together enough to join the Army.

I worked under the table PT while collecting Unemployment. I also sold furniture and household appliance on Craigslist my friend would get from customers that paid him to throw out their old stuff at the dump. DId this from end of 2009 to 2010

Where TF was this user? $25K for a house?! That's not even a down payment out here. Not being petty, just want to know where in the hell in Burgerland any non-mobile homes sell for 25 grand

>got laid off from first law job in 2008
>picked up some contracts with a county
>when recession hit county budgets contract work shrunk massively
>got creative and marketed online and had great time until the entire economy collapsed
>had to take on shit clients to pay bills
>close business and work for someone else

alive, but fuck all of what I went through, when people say the American Dream was dead, I lived that death. There is no reason I should have struggled as a lawyer to have enough degenerates who needed help to get by. But lots of people went to law school during the recession and completely watered down the industry

Youngfags don't even work anymore, they hole up in their rooms and live on tendies

I couldn't get a job out of high school so I went to Job Corps instead. I'm glad because if I managed to get a dead end retailcuck job I'd probably still be doing that instead of working for the railroad now.

I highly recommend Job Corps for useless NEETs that aren't 25 yet, if nothing else it'll get you out of the house for a couple of years.

I was good enough at my job that I didn't get laid off. Lots of people in my department did, though.

Also we bought our house around 3/4 of the way through the housing crash, so we didn't take too much of a hit there.

I did take a pretty big hit in my 401k, though, but I've long since recovered.

I turned 21 in '08. I had a job as a dishwasher, earning roughly minimum wage. I worked like a dog, got promoted a couple times, and after four years was making about $1.50/hr more.
I moved to a bigger city with a better economy, took the first job I could get, starting at $0.50/hr more. A month later I got hired by a better company. I worked my ass off while attending community college for almost three years, got dumped by my fiancée, quit school, kept working, got promoted, worked harder, got promoted again, kept working hard...
After five years with the company I'm in line for a base salary of $46k, medical, dental, lots of paid leave time, great retirement plan, the works.
I got through the recession by dedicating myself to my work. I earn 500% more a year now than I did five years ago.
Hard work wins, boys.

To be fair, it's kind of hard to get a job at McDonalds when you're a teen balancing high school, and your competitors for the position at Subway is a 40 year old engineer.

It's not that way anymore, granted, but it was for quite a long time. A huge chunk of teens never got a job during a time when they needed to in order to realize the value of a hard day's work, and now they feel entitled to the job of previous gens, without ever putting in the initial work.

>am old
>was poor
>am poor
>recession hits
>nobody has money
>i still don't have money
>wowee zowee don't care care

If you do not already know about basic nutrition and cooking, learn now. You are able to survive on about twenty bucks a week foodwise, in fact less is doable.

You can survive on half that, if you're treating food as something you need to live, rather than something you should enjoy.

thesimpledollar.com/meal-prep-day-simple-rice-and-beans/

70 cents per meal.

>graduated school right when recession hit
>couldn't find a fucking job
>worked as security guard/janitor/fast food for shitty money driving an early 90's beater toyota
>developed drinking problem because depressed all the time

Since then:

>making stable 60k a year
>wasn't stupid enough to buy a new car
>have 20k in savings
>stopped drinking

I'm feel like the recession stole my 20's. When I should have been starting a career and dating I was scrubbing shit out of toilets and drinking myself to sleep.

No fucking shit!!! This is so true!

Been NEET for 10 years so it didn't affect me.