Be honest, you use them a little too much

Be honest, you use them a little too much

I don't understand what you are trying to say honestly

Are you retarded?

It Just Werks™®

Do they ded?

As opposed to what exactly? Learning Japanese? Most shows only have simulsub rips these days.

I miss fansubs just because the lettering could be crazy cool at times.
Part of my enjoyment in TTGL's first Giga Drill Breaker scene was how every word was accentuated with silly after effects. Same with Commie's Jojo.

this was literally everything wrong with the fansubbing scene

Subs? or horriblesubs?

>not liking over the top subs in over the top anime

I just use HS

>want to download BDs for a show I put off watching
>only BDs with HS are available
>fan groups never finished the series so I can't make my own

What the fuck is even the point.

seems like someone doesn't appreciate the art and beauty of crazy-good lettering
it's what all subs should do, feels like reading a motion manga, it's a thing of beauty

What else should I be doing? Waiting 4 days for a fansub group to release worse quality subs than I'll get in 2 hours?
Fansubbing was a crappy necessity we dealt with because we had no choice. I'm glad HS basically killed it for airing shows.

RIP meme subs

What other option is there?

Like it or not, the fansub scene is practically dead. It's a massive inconvenience to try and wait for them to be released or download from 2 or 3 seeders.

Ctrl+s, user.

I don't need anything better I know enough Japanese to only need subs for a few words.

Besides, the typesetting bullshit most groups do is terrible and annoying.

>using some offbrand subs with weird font

It's almost always hideous and illegible. I don't trust fansubbers to make subs look good because they were always shit at it. Crunchyroll not even trying is a mercy.

>watch subpar subs for free right away
>or wait weeks or months for autistic script fix with zero guarantee they won't drop the show and leave you wondering why RSS grabber didn't update with new episodes

hmm tough choice

Be honest, you're a subhuman EOP no matter what subs you use.

So?

Suck it up. There has never been a better combination of speed, quality, and coverage of airing shows as there is right now.

>Quality
>speed
>coverage
wew lad

I've watched enough to use raws. If you haven't watched that much you shouldn't be on Sup Forums

>quality
Tell that to the people that watched HS Gabriel Dropout

>illegible
sorry user, we know how to read

We're going to regret this in a few seasons when Netflix is at full power devouring half the season.

CR's average quality is mediocre, which is better than most fansub groups ever managed.

Pity you don't know how to write, faggot.

>delusional EOP thinks he knows Japanese because he can recognize some words and simple phrases

are you dumb? dl raws and put demuxed subs on it.

Gabriel Dropout is the exact kind of show that would have ended up with just a single memesubber in the past.

The simulcasts are worse than the best slow subbers were, but they're generally better than speed subs used to be. The proportion of shows getting subbed is better than it was when all we had to rely on was fansubbers.

People bitching about the way it is now are either blinded by nostalgia or just weren't watching anime back then.

You'd have a case if you said Ohys-Raws. Who the fuck watches shitty made up bullshit Crunchroll subs?
Pic related, it's not what she said. You may as well make up whatever story your want if you're using Crunchyroll.

Right. Look Daiz, you should keep your day job talking about encoding. Clearly you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
Crunchy is bottom of the barrel in terms of translations, even Commie is a better alternative, if only because their typesetting isnt fucking cancerous. I'd rather have jokesubs than the fabrications of a typewriter monkey.

They're the only ones I use.

>even Commie is a better alternative
Fuck off, Herkz

>TTGL
>over the top
I remember when I had only watched twenty series.

as opposed to what? not watching anime with subtitles?

Say what you want about them but they always finish the series.

Am I supposed to use something else? If it's not official or Sup Forums I'd rather struggle with the raws and my half-assed understanding of the language. Fuck the fansubbers.

Is there something wrong with HS now? I'm not caught up with the latest memes.

Nice wrong opinion.

There always was something wrong with HS. As someone who studies fucking Japanese, reading those subtitles is like watching google translate try to figure out what people are saying in a youtube video with lots of background noise.
It's fucking awful, guesslators should be lined up against a wall and shot.

The subs were top tier, tf you on about

>watching anime with subtitles

This is such a terrible idea it's literally preferable to watch shows dubbed,

Blame CR not them

>As someone who studies fucking Japanese,
How is your first week on Memrise going?

they chose to take CR subs though

No, it's retarded and many times it was UNREADABLE.

Second year in uni actually. I recommend using anki.

Then I'll wait for Netflix rips while I watch some of the hundreds of series I have archived.

>pick something other than HS
>it's still filled with memes and extremely loose translations

well I do use Crunchyroll every now and then

>not using offbrand subs with weird font

If you are studying Japaese you shouldn't NEED subtitles.

>Netflix are the heroes who want to resurrect fan subbing.
Who would have guessed.

(You)

I do, but it isn't like a lot of alternatives are available

This is what daiz wanted. His power grows with each waking moment.

I don't, I just check the script to see if my version matches theirs for practice. At best it's mediocre and at worst it's all over the place. It's as if two different translators worked on the script without consulting each other or having a second look at it before handing it over to the typesetter. There's times where they translate arguably complex sentences correctly but then manage to get the simple stuff wrong. Or because they couldn't find an accurate translation they localize it slightly (see above kitchen sink translation). It's better to learn from others' mistakes but going through a CR script is a fucking mess and I have no idea why those people are getting paid because their work lacks professionalism completely. It's almost as if they're fansubs. But comparing work that stems off of enthusiasm to a rushed script just doesn't sit well with me.

East Asian studies?

Yes.

Are you implying there's alternative?

That's pretty cool, I'm considering doing them myself.
Did you pick chinese or korean as second language

Be honest, daiz is our hero and without him, anime would've died

I guess. If my listening wasn't so bad I'd abandon subs all together. CR/Amazon clearly have no quality control with how much they actually get things wrong

Grammar issues, flat out wrong translations and weird localization, but It's ok "If I buy a premium crunchyroll sub I'm helping the industry" retards exist

Commie still does this.

Remember nutbladder's alternative audio tracks for Jojo ?
Good times.

>quality

You make it sound like there's other choices out there. It's not the 2000s user, where every fucking group wants to work on the flavor of the season show, leaving all others untranslated. Having CR is actually good in a way because they simulcast almost every show that airs every season.

>There's actual CR shills defending this bad product

I can only hope competition makes CR clean up their translations.

I'm doing Chinese this year because it probably sells better than Korean, though that's just my opinion I also like how it sounds.
I personally don't recommend doing an East Asian studies degree as you'll have to stomach through hundreds of hours of extremely boring secondary module lectures about politics and economics and whatever they feel like putting up for the year. My uni is pretty good and our department is probably the poorest there is in the entire uni and it pretty much shows. I'm not sure how other unis are but unless you're willing to pay premium and go to something like SOAS London or some other specialized uni then I feel like it's a waste of time and money. You can easily learn Japanese faster and more efficiently at home if you're motivated enough. The only thing you might be missing out on is a placement in Japan on your third or second year which is really the most attractive thing about the entire degree. If you're serious about taking this kind of course then you should do proper research on the available departments. Make sure they don't use "Basic Kanji Book" to teach at least, that book will make you hate then language.

The competition is even worse though.

They are the yiffy of anime

>He does not restyle all his favorite shows himself on Aegisub

The quintessential problem. And you'd think there'd be another CR ripper out there who could actually give HS hell in terms of quality by actually proofreading the translation and replacing lines here and there when necessary. But no, apparently almost no one can be arsed to beat them at their own game.

The Cartel is a powerful beast, and I don't think they could've done all of that shit they've done on their own, without someone on the inside helping them. It's not that far-fetched to believe that someone in the American distro industry is making their lives easier. Crunchyroll maybe? I mean, these people were part of the fansub community, so they probably by now have ex-fansubber friends in relatively high places.

How much until you can leave your humanity behind and ascend to the plains of unsubbed anime and untranslated VNs?

2 or 3 years for me, been going at it for 2 years and I'm already understanding the lyrics of most jap songs.

I miss the wacky commercials.

/thread

Crunchyroll makes me really nostalgic because of that..
Like when they change the character names every other episode in Gate e.g.

Soon. I'm not learning Japanese formally, so it might take longer. But I've reached the point where I understand most of an episode anyway. OP and EDs trip me up because I can't rely on tone inflections and so on as much to guess my way through.

Sorry m8 you're just a faggot

For fluency? I'd say 4 years is decent pace. Bright guys can do it in 3. Brighter guys can skim through it in 2, but your IQ needs to be high enough to understand princess principal to do that so don't worry too much.
As long as you're getting where you want and you're actively reaching your goals then it doesn't matter how fast you are, find a pace you're most comfortable with. Don't slack off though.

Been downloading anime since 2007. HS is the best because I'm not autistic.

>They altered a Japanese idiom that wouldn't make sense to an english speaker to one that would

The bastards

Commie isn't releasing an anime I care about since OnePunchMan and they ruined it because
>CocoConvict

"Who's bringing the kitchen sink?" doesn't make sense either. It's fucking stupid.

>Commie isn't releasing an anime I care about
Not my fault you don't like fun.

No daiz stop posting

How would you have translated it?

on the topic of fansubs. does anyone know what happened to DDY?

As "Do bananas count as snacks?" because:

A) It's what she actually says
B) Vigne responds by telling her to read the brochure or whatever (this reason alone makes CR's TL completely retarded because it doesn't flow at all)
C) It gets the point across anyway -- Satania is silly/stupid.

Wait, did they really translate "do bananas count as snacks" as "who's bringing the kitchen sink"?

What. the. fuck.

>did they really translate "do bananas count as snacks" as "who's bringing the kitchen sink"?
Yes. And Vigne's response to Satania is along the lines of "the booklet explains [about snacks]" or something like that. So it makes absolutely no sense in response to "Who's bringing the kitchen sink?"

Thanks user
I'm actually interested in the boring politics, history and economics, so thats not a problem.
It really is the only college level course I'm willing to take other than history.
And alright, I'll look into how the course actually looks like before making any decisions
Cheers mate

I only download HorribleSubs if there are no other sub groups for a show. HS looks like shit, I don't care if the other sub group is just CR script with some raw they picked up. Anything is better than what HS shits out.

So what happens when someone kills HS

They share staff with GJM, who have also stopped updating their blog, but my guess is probably the usual; apathy and laziness. It seems a lot of the core fansubbers have burnt out recently, give it a season and they'll rebound likely.