Which did the FPS stealth genre better

Thief or Dishonoured?

sage report hidden

Original thief all the way.

>

dishonored is not a stealth game

Are you retarded? Dishonored is barely even a stealth game

kek

someone hasn't played dishonoured i see. you should try it someday lads, it's pretty good.

Played Dh1, the DLC and 2

Its more action game with stealth aspects like later MGS, not full on stealth like Thief

If stealth is a mere option, its not a real stealth game

Obviously Thief. I haven't played it, but Thief is old and we all know old games are better than new ones no matter what. Also, if you disagree, you're a numale.

Thief since it's purely a stealth game

Dishonored is more akin to Deus Ex since the main draw is the variety of ways to play and approach situations, stealth is just one of many possible options (and not the game's strongest point, in my opinion)

Dishonoured is pretty much Thief with some optional abilities. If you take it out, it's a pretty solid stealth game, and worthy of being mentioned aside Thief. Good A.I., good use of shadows. I don't know why people who've played Thief say it's bad.

Dishonored is all about verticality.
Thief is both horizontal and vertical, you must use ALL the scenario to your favour, AND also care about light and sound.

So Thief, by far.

dishonored is a shit game

>'which of these two games, neither of which is a first person shooter, did the "FPS stealth" genre better?'

Well what you just said makes no sense as everything you mentioned with Thief applies to Dishonored as well

>FPS

>tfw just completed Thief 1 and 2 again
How do I cope with this empty feeling knowing nothing will ever surpass these games again?

Both games a pretty good in their own ways tbqh

Thief's atmosphere is fantastic even all these years later, but dishonored has a e s t h e t i c. Garret is a cool protagonist and corvo is really boring.

Uncharted 4

Some Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

This post is so familiar, as if I've seen this before. Do you keep posting the same thing?

very simple

thief is a stealth game
dishonored is a casual "stealth" game

darkmod obviously

Daud is a better protag than Corvo

Corvo is just too whitebread and safe, even moreso in DH2

I don't really care for the comparison, but Dishonored 2 is literally the best AAA game in the last 5 years.

Nope.

Dishonored enemies have a much smaller cone of sight, they see you no matter how much light there is, only thing that matter is if you are inside their sight cone or not, and you don't have to care about what material you're walking over and how much sound it makes.

All of this makes you play trying to be over your enemies, where they won't see you. While in Thief you move from dark place to dark place, with care of not making sound in the process, no matter if the places are high or low.

Yeah Daud is fantastic, they should have made the game about him instead. Such a wasted opportunity.

No, but I'm sure there are more people who share my sentiment.

What?
Landing and walking on carpets was an established mechanic in Dishonored, and walking behind guards would make them notice you

>they see you no matter how much light there is
Completely wrong. They can see you more easily when there is more light. That's what the spotlights in the game are for.

>Dishonored enemies have a much smaller cone of sight
It's more about their inability to detect at longer range and never look up than their general FOV. They can actually detect better than Thief games at short distances if you are in a completely dark area. In Thief if your light gem shows 0 they have to be within 1 meter to detect you.

>and you don't have to care about what material you're walking over and how much sound it makes.
Not entirely true. There are a couple of small fragments of glass and puddles in some levels which generate more noise. There are also a lot of objects you can knock over which make a lot of sound. Dark vision specifically shows sound waves so you can see how noisy you're being

>All of this makes you play trying to be over your enemies
Both games make a point of trying to be above enemies because they don't look up although Thief's do at a slight angle. It's just more difficult in Thief because levels tend to be more horizontal

I've ghosted Dishonored and completed Thief 1 and 2 on Expert several times.

dishonered is horseshit
>"""""""""""""""""""stealth"""""""""""""""" game

With today's business practices, it's only fair that Bethesda would ask Arkane to add more action aspects to the game. That's why it's so popular. Similar to Hitman, you don't have to be stealthy, but that still makes it a stealth game.

Whaaaaaaaaat? Never knew you can kill the with the blackjack

Thief's stealth is based on 30 different factors. /thread

The only thing Dish does better is how guards react to others who have been taken out. They change their patrol routes.

I would've loved Styx more if all of the levels are in night time. The levels that are in freaking daylight are so awkward for me to play.

That's why the game has so much verticality. And it's pretty intense since it uses classic controls that don't coddle you and keep you from falling.

If you hit them long enough, they fall apart.

>people love dishonored
Fucking plebs took over this board a long time ago, this is the proof
Thief 1 and 2 are infinitely superior to Dishonored, which is a pile of shit. Arkane studios should stick to WRPGs, Dark Messiah and Arx Fatalis were masterpieces.

But in Dishonored, stealth is just one part of the game. Just like in Dark Messiah. There's one company that once attempted to make a game as varied as Dishonored but with the mechanical complexity of Thief in all areas. And that's Looking Glass. The leftovers of that failed project ended up becoming Thief. Dishonored works reasonably well in all areas. Thief is fantastic when it comes to the most important thing.

Thief Gold is primarily an adventure game with stealth elements, most of the levels aren't completely ghostable, or they are, but it takes too much waiting around because of the NPCs being monsters. Thief II is a stealth game through and through, but it has less variety than Gold.
Dishonored is jack of all trades, master of none.

the fuck is his problem?

>shadows doen't even matter in dishonored

lmao

Thief in every possible aspect

kudos to dishonored for the atmosphere/world-design
everything else about it was watered down casualized pseudo-stealth

stealth vs action stealth
i wonder which one did stealth better

It's Thief without shadows and footsteps, i.e. not Thief.

Is it the same for 2?

Fan missions.

Thief Gold levels > Thief 2 > Thief > Dishonored > Thief 3 > NuThief
Haven't played Dishonored 2 yet.

yeah but it's also more easy if you circle jerk around till they get stuck in door frames stand in front of them till they open fire at you and blow themselves up.

You can also let them chase you and wreck havoc inside the bank killing all guards and little minions

Dishonored is pretty solid gameplay-wise but the story and general atmosphere of the game were so unengaging that i ended up ditching the game halfway. From that perspective Thief iseasily the better game.

Shadows are a little more effective in Dishonored 2. They work at moderate distance.

Still lacking the footstep complexity, though. That's all it's really missing IMO.

Woodsy Lord or Karras?

Fuck Thief
It's bloody impossible to enjoy it if you hadn't played it at the time.
It aged like shit.

Styx was OK. ~7/10 for me.

>Thief Gold levels>Thief 2
Explain yourself

was karras a pedo robophile?

Thief 2, duh.

Thief 1 is a stealth game for about half the game and Dischonored isn't a stealth game.

The opera level is one of the best stealth levels ever constructed.

I played for the first time in 2014 git gud

That's only one mission from the game.

He really sounds like one if there is one

I guess I just have such a boner for that one that I can ignore rest of the mediocre to good ones.

Dishonored is a pretty bad stealth game. Really great game overall, but when you can completely demolish your enemies in a second there is no point in being stealthy, except for personal challenge.

And even then, there is no stealth indicator, enemies work on weird logic (sometimes they see you above, sometimes they don't) and do not follow set rules (footstep sound for example). So it's kinda clunky and more trial and error.

There is no tension that usually comes from stealth games, where you hold your breath in the dark and worry if they will find you or not - you know they will kill you if they do - and the last save was 15 minutes ago.

Hitman is a puzzle game with stealth elements.

Neither.

Thief Gold doesn't have any mediocre levels (save for maybe Escape and Strange Bedfellows), it's just that it doesn't have a lot of stealth. It's much more of an adventure game.

Dishonoured. The best part of the game was when you got caught and had to fight your way out.

Ask Harvey about that on Twitter. Shadows do matter. You just can't be right next to someone when hiding in a shadow. The distance of detection changes based on how dark your surroundings are.

Can you do THIS in Dishonored?

>in 2014
Did you try to self-medicate after cockrings poisoning or something?

I'm not judging. I didn't play System Shock 2 until 2014.

actually. I was wrong earlier. I got them in '13.
IIRC I did get into the series because of the abundance of thief threads in wake of thi4f about to be released.

Can you find Osama in Dishonored?

uh, no

>Purely stealth
Just gonna ignore the undead enemies and all the dungeon combat sections? The game forces you to fight people all the time, and the combat is pretty shite.

I think that happened to me by accident in the one mission. I think the one where you get Sokolov

Thief and Dishonored are Immersive Sim, they are in the same genre.

Of course Dishonored is a stealth game, it's just not "only" a stealth game like Thief.

And yes Thief did the stealth part better since all its gameplay, mecanics and maps are based around stealth.

>implying you can't sneak past non-humans

stealth against haunts and bugbeasts works exactly the same as it does against humans

Just started playing Casing the Joint last night. That Kidnap mission was not my favorite.

You might catch some heat for this from people who don't understand the most important basic aspects of immersive sims

t. numale redditors who have zero patience and get mad at the constant open combat because of their lack of skills.

If you can't do pic related in one run, seek a cliff.

Kidnap is an awful mission
>ported map from the first game
>all the loot cloistered off in one section of the map
>the main objective is easy as hell to accomplish
>even on expert all other objectives are optional

Is that possible on a completionist playthrough? Just heading to the objectives unseen isn't that hard.

The problem is that it is too easy to accomplish those things.

Haunts are legit the scariest enemies I've ever witnessed in a video game. Playing Thief 2 right now and they still give me the heeby jeebees.

I agree, but to claim it's not a stealth game is retarded as fuck.

I really wish in 2 they didn't remove all their "dialogues". They're super quiet compared to the first one.

>not fire elementals

It's my first time going through this game and that mission was an utter shit show for me. After using flash bombs and gas arrows to kidnap buddy, it took me forever to haul his ass into site 9 undetected. I made the mistake of thinking destroying the 'cameras' with fire arrows would help me, but it just pisses everyone off in the area for a extended period. Just sneaking by is always the answer, it's just a matter of route and when to move.

I tried to fall asleep one night and came up with an awesome poem that incorporates all their famous lines but of course I can only remember the part I came up with ages ago.

Never resting, battle-torn
Rotten soul, an empty gaze
Out of evil I was born
Flames around you, only flames

If I ever make a game (I won't), I would want an enemy like the Fire Shadow.

Something speedy as shit and spazes out if you damage it, chasing you down in a winding path until it gets in melee range and vanishes.
Just something to make the player shit itself.

Used sparingly, of course.

that's a big hole

and to think that such a creepy enemy was only introduced as an ez-mode mechanic for those who wasted all their fire arrows.

When I first played the Haunted Cathedral I was 10 years old non-english speaker and didn't have any idea what the Eye was trying to tell me to do. What the hell are words "grotto", "pedestal" or "illuminate" supposed to mean? Now I can spell better than the average American better then the avridge 'murrcan but back then you'd have to ask an adult to translate or to look up a word in a paper dictionary. A word you didn't know how to spell.

What are other immersive sim games besides looking glass games and the Deus Ex games?

Really? I found they talked more in 2 than 1. I remember the scariest part about them is how they creep up behind you when you're caught. You don't hear them until the last millisecond when theyre directly behind your ass. Dead space, eat your heart out.

>I found they talked more in 2 than 1
they don't though.
They don't make all the same idle noises

I love how using the guard animation is supposed to be poking the guards.

Pretty good bait.

Also does anyone know if it's possible to use DromED to pretender the lighting in fan missions so it's higher quality with less banding thanks to new dark?