What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MzLCOY_FAeE
youtube.com/watch?v=HMOWXHlxUM0
polygon.com/2013/7/8/4503242/bungie-co-founder-says-hes-to-blame-for-halos-overpowered-pistol
youtube.com/watch?v=R2HS-xmHOdI
youtube.com/watch?v=HAYPkVeWjXM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fucking everything son. Series is not even worth talking about anymore.

looking back i didn't think halo 4's campaign was that bad

4 and 5 are the worst in the franchise. so there. from level to encounter to enemy designs to disappearing weapons on the ground in 4, they just can't hang man. it's true in you know it. with the prometheans and the changed visual designs all around to architecture and characters i don't even like looking at it. and then 5 happend... with a 60 fps but 30 fps animations 10 meters out from the camera which is just so fucking jarring. and the 'story'... man, i could go on. but deep down you know they're shit. and i was a big fan since halo ce. played that shit on launch day.

oh, and not to forget 4 has a horrid soundtrack by ANY standard. even ignoring that the halo series has had some nice iconic compositions, that halo 4 soundtrack by neil fucking davige even when looked at on it's own is nothing put a piece of shit. hot fucking garbage.

yeah they are by far the worst games in the series, i finished halo 5 the other day and just made me appreciate halo 4 a lot more since 5 was a massive heap of shit

>weapons disappearing on the ground

That pissed me off so much in the campaign. I remember in CE where you could literally walk the entire way back to the beginning and pick up ammo and a new weapon, now they just disappear in 5 seconds

what was wrong with the soundtrack? sure it wasn't as good as any of marty's work, and it didn't suit halo, but it had some nice tunes.

It has nothing to remember it by. The reason everyone loved the first 3 is because they could remember how the campaign went because there were all of these good ambient conditions, landmarks and scenarios for every level. 4 and 5 didn't have a good enough variation in the levels

and i tell you, that shit, that functionality where you can walk back and loot for the gear of the fallen is basically nothing more than storing item info in plain text. i swear ultima underworld for fucking ms-dos had that shit ninteen-ninety-freaking-seven! like get wtf are you doing?

it's not the problem of doing it, it is that 343 is clueless. it's an oversight. they don't even have a proper grasp on halo ce campaign balancing.

Cortana and the fact that 343 is pushing to make Chief x Cortana canon in next halo

>but it had some nice tunes.
no it didn't. what are you talking about. it sound's like a child playing on a piano with two fingers most of the time. neil davige is not a composer.

listen to this. really listen to it and then tell my you like this. it is a FUCKING joke. i wouldn't have paid for that song. god it's so bad.
youtube.com/watch?v=MzLCOY_FAeE

Fuck you by that point any sane pairing of a man and women WOULD be almost husband/wife.

Cortana is canon literally a clone of a real womens brain so it makes sense that she'd have "emotions," and 117 albeit he has those dampeners to stop his sexual drive it's impossible he wouldn't want to protect the only person that has almost been with him the entire war.

well tbf that's one of the really forgettable tracks. whenever i revisit the soundtrack I only tend to listen to 117, Arrival and Green and Blue.

but hey man, different tastes and all.

Being a sequel to 3. It was unnecessary.

The Ark was destroyed, the Covenant stopped, the Flood badly damaged. It was over.

>But the legendary ending!

Who fucking cares?

idk, you tell me. Still sold 10 million copies.

Halo 5 online is pretty fun bro. Didnt play 4 or Reach so that might be why.

I really enjoy the new playlist where you fight bosses and another team of spartans. Cant remember what its called for some reason. Reminds me of Alterc Valley in vanilla WoW. Pretty rad.

Tried playing the story... wasnt a fan. I think I beat the first mission and thats it. I just didnt care. Its just the same shit as all Halo campaigns.

Halo 3 had best ending

Halo 5's campaign was shit, but the multiplayer was amazing.

Both Halo 4's campaign and multiplayer were shit, so it's the worst in the series.

The flood would never be outright dead until every single spore was burned. It makes sense to continue it.

Although I like how a fucking RTS game has a better bad guy than the actual Halo games. Atraax or whatever the fuck his name is sounds legit scary.

over time i have come to realize the reach soundtrack is very underappreciated. the first three tracks alone are massive.

I still think it's a different universe because he went through that destabilized portal. What the fuck else can explain the armor change?

I thought the flood was gravemind's like a hive. Could the spores really make him again?

irrc in halo ce when captain keyes was captured they tried to turn him into a gravemind, so the flood could create another one sure.

"Halo 5's campaign was shit, but the multiplayer was amazing."
What about it is amazing in 2016? The fucking microtransactions? The Sprinting? What?

Halo 5

wtf why didn't i greentext that quote? i should go to bed.

yeah I think they should've left it there and just do prequels or something with new characters, the halo universe had potential to survive long without master chief. the legendary ending also made for a good prequel to marathon.

>Bungie end's Chief's story with 3
>ODST shows there can be halo games without master chef
>343 immediately goes back to chief and tries to make him have personality when bungie intentionally made him a blank slate
We could've had more ODST, but nope. Lets kill the fucking Rookie XD

They should have ended the Master Chiefs story at 3.
It never should've continued into the reclaimer saga, or at least list him MIA, then make Locke the new protag, like team Noble was in Reach.
And CoDifying multiplayer didn't help at all.

343 are hacks.

Reminder 343 killed off Rookie
Those pieces of shit can all fuck off and die tbqh

Literally who cares? His character was nothing more than a player analog, like Noble 6.

Series has been on a long decline from bad choices and a interest that just wasn't there like it was for Halo 3.

Instead of focusing on where the series needs to go, most of the time is spent having a pissing contest whether Halo: It's Fucking Awful or Halo: It's Different This Time We Swear, is better for whatever reason.

To each his own. I never played the online multiplayer, and most people really just like Halo for its multiplayer, which is perfectly fine, but I always liked the series for both its multiplayer, co-op, and its story.

Halo 4's story is fucking GARBAGE. The original trilogy's epic space opera sensation is gone. Master Chief's adventure is over. It no longer feels like some crazy military sci-fi odyssey where the fate of humanity is in your hands. The story feels shoehorned in, like post-script writing, and the characterization no longer makes sense and the main threat is no longer interesting, the new ideas being introduced feel depleted of their vigor and are overall depressing. Maybe some people like that, but that's not what I loved the original trilogy for. I didn't play them hoping to see Master Chief get mocked by other military personnel and slowly become an irrelevant old gray fart who starts fighting boring ass looking space pirates led by Saren 2.0. Fuck that nonsense.

Halo ended with 3. That's all there is to say. It was great while it lasted, but it's time to move on.

Campaign made mistakes but was pretty decent and better than Bungie's final two offerings but not anywhere near as good as Halo 1-3 campaigns. Multiplayer was almost complete shit since they thought it was a great idea to build off Bungie final Halo game (which was already terrible) and grab from other modern shooters instead of just making a fun Halo game. Spartan Ops was mainly miss with some hits.

I wouldn't even be against Post-Halo 3 plot games. But specifically bringing back MC as the main character annoyed me to no end. It's just a cheap marketing gimmick to assure old fans it's still Halo. And everything has to be "biggerer and betterer"; we gotta up one for enemies, now we fight the Forerunners.

I actually think it would've been cool if Master Chief actually did at the end in Halo 3.

>ODST shows there can be halo games without master chef
ODST was boring as hell, empty as fuck, short as shit, and an overpriced waste of money with bad story and character development.

I would have been fine if Bungie stopped at their last good game, Halo 3.

died*

>ODST was boring as hell, empty as fuck, short as shit, and an overpriced waste of money with bad story and character development.

Damn you're thirsty.

yeah I think we can all agree that Halo 3 was the last great game in the series and everything since then has been significantly worse

>all dissenting opinions are bait

>taking away campaign commendations, ruining all replayability for the campaign
>making ranking up piss easy
>handing out double EXP codes out like candy, making ranking up even easier
>spartan ops giving more EXP than a game of multiplayer
>loadouts. There was no point in starting with anything other than the DMR, which was grossly overpowered
>removing firefight in favor of spartan ops
>spartan ops reused stages constantly and got boring and dull quickly, boiled down to flip switch to ambush
>ordinance, which destroyed all semblance of map control and rewarded bad players
>broken promises. They never got Forge to work
>egg heads

Fuck off every Halo that sidelines Chief has been a fat ass miss.
>Arbiter
>The Rookie
>Noble 6
>Locke

They just don't know how to make a good Halo game without Chief. Arbiter missions was either mediocre or sucked completely, Rookie was literally doing jack shit until Dare calls, Noble 6 is more of a nobody than the Rookie and does nothing amazing that puts him on the same level as Chief. Locke just plain sucks. If you want to be realistic about this shit Halo should have either ended with Halo 3 or took a long ass break before Halo 4.

Yup, agreed entirely

Should have gone with the galaxy picking up the pieces after Halo 3.
Maybe have seargent johnsons grandson as a new Soldier who's fighting against remnants of the covenant and some new enemy.

They handed this series to a group of talentless narcissists from Microsoft, as well as failed developers from RAGE, Killzone & later Titanfall. I think the recent AMA with Grim from 343i says it all.

>"hey dudes ask me anything lmoa we're so down with the community & totally not out of touch with what they want"
>"Hi Grim, Halo community here. We've been asking for two years for a true fix to MCC & accomodation for the classic community. We are ready & willing to get behind you guys if you take our feedback on board!"
>"OH MY FUCKING GOD HALO COMMUNITY YOU ARE SO ENTITLED GOOD FUCKING LORD STOP WHINING AND JUST PLAY OUR GAMES THIS IS OUR SERIES NOW STOP LEAVING OUR GAMES EN MASSE AND MAKING US LOOK BAD TO MICROSOFT!"

This is a development studio which unironically believes that Halo needs to 'evolve', that their visual retcon overrides the previous 10 years of the old art style & that the community is 'entitled', in the words of 343. What didn't go wrong?

Plus Bungie confirmed that Flood samples are stored on all the Halo installations, as well as some Shield Worlds. There was still a Flood infestation on Delta Halo by the time the series ended.

No MLG Playlist

Awakening the Chief & trying to humanise a character that was designed by Staten to be a ghost in the shell for the player to inhabit was the key mistake in the story.

Plus the second most glaring flaw in the story being that 343 had to literally destroy the minimalistic Forerunner lore & make a fucking clone of the Didact purely so that this already nonsensical story could make even less sense. The Didact wasn't a fucking genocidal Voldemort vampire in everything pre-Halo 4. Even 343's first Forerunner book supports this.

Cortana's rampancy was an interesting idea but Bungie hinted through the Mendicant Bias lore that AIs who had endured a Gravemind could achieve 'metastability' & basically stave off rampancy. That & Cortana wasn't 7 by the time of Halo 4, she was 5, 6 at the most. AIs only start to deteriorate after 7. 343 are just idiots who wanted to make a twitch shooter & steal CoD's audience for $$$$$

For an FPS campaign, it's not.

For a Halo campaign, it has all the same issues CE's campaign had, except CE came out 10 fucking years before 4 did so there's no excuse for the tedious copy pasted coordiors that 4 has.

Nah. 4's soundtrack obviously doesn't live up to marty's work, and it's not outstanding, but it's still decent, and actually does a good job of setting the mood with a lot of the forerunner structures being foreboding.

Reminder that there's nothing wrong with them killing the rookie off and if anything doing so was a good thing

>listen to this. really listen to it and then tell my you like this

I did and it sounds good. What's your problem again?

>What about CE's MP is amazing in 2001? only having 8 guns? The slow movement?

No BR starts

exactly my thoughts
as a halo game it fails
as a game, its decent

BR is the cancer of Halo, 2 baby.

>implying the Halo 5 AR with the ability to cross-map is any better
>implying the OP magnum is any better

Kill yourself

They wanted you to read 6 books before playing it

The CE Magnum being retarded doesn't make BR's any less cancerous. I don't make any excuses for H5

Not him, but

>implying the AR being versatile for once, which is what it's intended role is, is bad

It being able to cross map is fine because while it can do it, it can't do it effectively and all the precision guns shit all over it at those ranges.

The only problem with the AR in 5 is that spraying and praying is better then controlled bursts out to 10-15 feet or so, when the only times full auto fire should be better is at point blank.

The BR isn't the problem, as seen in Halo 2 & 3. blame Halo 5's excessive aim assist & bullet magnetism in general. The game practically plays itself regardless of what you start with.

As somebody who has actually read all the halo novels, both 4 and 5 are way less reliant on the books then CE was.

Halo 5's AR can outmatch precision weapons because of the ridiculous armour abilities & the shitty aiming.

And play Slayer or Infection, spraying and praying is just too effective.

thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=HMOWXHlxUM0

Or just never found the shield world and leave it at that. That's more ominous.

>"4 and 5 are way less reliant on the books than CE was"

So one reference to the planet Reach & a long war with the Covenant is somehow more backstory required for the game than the entire Forerunner Trilogy, virtually all post-Reach media & an understanding of the Halo 3 terminals + 343's canon retcons?

Nice meme

2's BR was the worst one in the entire series. It was the default gun for 90% of situations, thus the cancer.

The worst thing about Halo 4 is that the core game is solid as fuck but just ruined by a bunch of retarded attempts to copy Call of Duty

Halo did not and does not need weapon loadouts or killstreaks.

Halo 4 was good though. The soundtrack was amazing as well and only nostalgiacucks liked Marty's dated sci fi crap that made me cringe.

"There was a moment towards the end of [Halo: Combat Evolved] where we were very close to locking down," Jones said. "The balance on the pistol was such that both in the competitive game, but also in the solo game, it wasn't where we wanted it to be. It was too late to change the... Well, we didn't feel comfortable actually changing the data anymore. The game was so locked down that when you changed a piece of data, gigabytes of crap had to be reprocessed.

"What we did feel comfortable doing was changing the code, and so...I added code specifically, when the map was loaded, to change a single number on the pistol," he added.

In addition to detailing his role on the game design team, Jones explained that design, for him personally, is about what things are and how they act. Rather than focus on how things look overall, Jones pays attention to smaller details — a philosophy that ultimately led him to tweak the power of the M6D.

"I will take the credit and blame for the pistol in Halo, I'll take the blame for everything in Halo," he said. "If it's important to go micro on something, I'll do that. I feel like design really is about the details."

polygon.com/2013/7/8/4503242/bungie-co-founder-says-hes-to-blame-for-halos-overpowered-pistol

This

I've seen that video & disagree with it. CoG shill for the newer Halo games a lot so I tend to ignore them. Halo 4 relied on retcons & canonically incorrect themes, which produced a sappy & melodramatic story which completely bastardised the characters of the Chief, Cortana, Halsey, the Didact, the Librarian, the Forerunners & also raised themes which were intentionally ignored by Bungie because, unlike stupid 343, Bungie knew that these themes would just produce a depressing & contradictory mess of a game.

Which Halo 4 was.

I thought the campaign for Halo 4 was good.

I just spent the last week or so playing 1-4 and later I'm going to play 5.

Yeah, 4 lacked a lot of what made the previous games special, but I thought it was pretty good overall. Multiplayer really isn't my thing for Halo though.
When I first played 5 I was torn. I thought the story was decent, and it was good to see Blue Team and the Arbiter again, but I despise the SJW cast of Osiris, although in perspective they weren't that bad.
I just can't wait for the era of "progressive" identity politics to end so there can be good games again.

My hopes aren't high for 6, but I'm not going to judge until I play it.

I don't mind the weapon loadouts if they were able to be modified or disabled in the gametypes like Reach

>Halo 4 relied on retcons & canonically incorrect themes,

It at least required a modicum of skill to use. Halo 5's BR takes no effort at all & the REQ Halo 2 variant is just Bullet Magnetism: The Game.

Agreed. H4s ost gets too much bad rep. I never liked the original trilogy music that much except for H3.

The real problem has always been that Halo’s entire arsenal is based on having only 2 weapon categories; “close range”, and “power weapons” with nothing but a giant vacuum in the middle. Jones realized at the last minute that the Pistol was the only thing that could fill that vacuum, since it was the only weapon besides the Sniper Rifle which could hit the broad side of a barn, so he upped the damage to fill the gap.

The optimal solution would have been to rework all the weapons to create a smooth spectrum of weapons with different strengths and weaknesses, which hit all the numbers between 1 and 10 on the range scale. As the article states, there wasn’t time to do this before Halo CE shipped, but this is what should have been done in Halo’s various sequels.

Unfortunately, the series’ developers never really reworked the weapons as necessary, and instead merely added more and more pistol clones as time went on. The result? You have now 5 slightly-different ways to plink enemies with hitscan at mid-range (DMR, BR, LR, Carbine) but all the other weapons which might have added something unique to the game are still either so innefective beyond point-blank range as to be barely worth picking up, or so powerful that they barely require any skill to make a kill.

Halo 3's were remixes of Halo 1 and Halo 2 music.

Halo 4 retconned the entire Forerunner lore purely to change the Didact's character in a way which made no sense, the lore on AIs becoming metastable (immune to rampancy) if they survived a Gravemind was just ignored, the themes of Chief being human were stupid & ruined the idea of him being a shell for the player, the Prometheans make no canonical sense since we've never seen them before, yet apparently they're on every Halo Ring & Forerunner installation. I could go on, 343 totally disrespected the canon.

And they were better.

youtube.com/watch?v=R2HS-xmHOdI

I preferred the tracks which weren't just sci-fi bleep bloops, songs such as Wreckage, the Beta Menu Theme, Green & Blue, Nemesis, 117 etc. were excellent tone setters. The original soundtrack only gets praised for tracks like the Halo Theme, One Final Effort & Three Towers.

Marty's stuff is really good & unique, but it never established a tone other than 'let's kill stuff like badasses' or 'character death' or 'scary flood moment'. Davidge & Jinnouchi were onto something with Halo 4's OST, a pity it was all ruined in 5.

Wanted to tack on to this, I thought the soundtracks for the Didact really nailed the "ancient alien with high technology" motif very well.

They really backed up the Didact's powerful and arrogant personality very well I think.

>a pity it was all ruined in 5.

It seems ok

youtube.com/watch?v=HAYPkVeWjXM

Kys

>It at least required a modicum of skill to use

I don't care, it make every other gun near useless.

Dawn = Pillar of Autumn
Requiem = Halo
Forerunner = Truth and Reconciliation

It felt like they were trying to recreate the magic of Halo 1.

He some guy that tries to ignore how Reach shits on everything canon that is Halo related but tries to call out 343's mistakes even though they never really retconned canon like Bungie did, just added to it.

Why is Halo, Gears and Forza the only property Microsoft focuses on? They were better in the original Xbox and 360 days.

What is Scalebound, Recore, Crackdown 3, Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, and Sea of Thieves.

Forgettable.

In short: experimentation.

Pre XBL Xbox was full of different styles of games that would only ever be green lit as an indie title I'd they were made in 2016 (Abe's Odyssey, Fusion Frenzy, etc.)

360 has a similar stage before Halo 3 game out. Games like Overlord and Crackdown were amazing, but then the band wagon of "let's only play the new AAA game" started.

All the Promethean weapons from 4 were just copy-pastes of guns that were already there, except the power weapons were even easier to use. The OST was bland but not really bad, and just about everything about the story was terrible. All the characters that weren't chief or cortana were just bad , and the way it played it felt like they were trying really hard to copy a modern CoD campaign. Also, the entire scene of pic related was retarded, especially this bug that they've yet to fix.

Honestly, I've been playing through all the Halo campaigns with my roommate, and really it's just reminded me that I would never play them again unless someone asked me. After a certain point they all just feel like a slog to get through.

Fun, it's about time Microsoft focuses on something else. Halo needs a break after Halo 6, something it should have gotten after Halo 3, Gears should have gotten the same treatment after 3 but at least it took some time before Gears 4 came out after the mess that was Judgement.

Remember when Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, and Mass Effect were all Xbox exclusives? Wish we got some exclusive RPGs like those again.

>Exclusive on Xbox!
(and PC*)

>than the entire Forerunner Trilogy, virtually all post-Reach media & an understanding of the Halo 3 terminals + 343's canon retcons?

None of these are required to understand 4 or 5 though

If you told somebody to play CE, 4, and 5 with no prior context of any of the novels, more parts of 4 and 5 would be self evident then in CE

Except how the didact acts is consistent with the end of silentium.

>he lore on AIs becoming metastable (immune to rampancy) if they survived a Gravemind was just ignored
Metastability has never existed in halo lore, period. That's only ever been fan theories as a result of how rampancy works in Marathon. That said, 4 did fuck up how rampancy is protrayed.