Why do so many people here hate Skyrim?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because it wasn't very good?

It's a game that's just OK that was praised for years as being the second coming of Christ. When so many people are telling you something is amazing, it only serves to highlight its already obvious flaws.

It's bland and very boring. It lacks depth.

Sup Forums doesn't play games. that was something in the distant past for them.

Because it's a watered down, streamlined RPG where the only thing you do is kill bandits, kill dragons which become repetitive after the 3rd encounter, and explore linear dungeons filled with draugr #12314

I just started playing it last week for the first time.

Its not very in depth, it's not very mechanically intensive. Combat is simple as fuck. Needs more enemy variety.

but i'm finding it fun enough.

it's not a movie game with cinematic gameplay and a linear railroad.

Arguably the worst edition of a beloved franchise that alienated most of its core fanbase. What else do you want to know?

Multiple reasons. A lot of people here are pure contrarian and hate games proportionally to how popular they are.

Others are old school fans of the old Bethesda games and hate the game for how it takes no actual effort to improve on the once great formula, how lazy and formulaic and unimaginative it is.
Personally, I fall into the second category. To me it's a shell of a game done by a shell of a company that once actually figured how to breed gold-egg laying goose, set up a precedent for what could be an insanely good genre AND what seemed like some of the best fantasy fiction in the whole genre, only to proceed and sell it all out because they are lazy and greedy cunts.
To me, Skyrim is merely "not very good" as a stand-alone game. What makes me hate it is that it represents creative bankrupcy and levels of cynicism that I absolutely despise in this (or any other) creative medium.

I have never enjoyed an Elder Scrolls game.

basically this

Normies praise Skyrim as GOTYAY when really its just a very shallow and mindless sequnce of
>"hey i lost my sword get it for me"
>enter dungeon
>kill draugr
>leave dungeon

Everything is just simple. Which is exactly why its so popular, Bethesda knew what they were doing. They're goal was to make it as accessible and generic as possible:
"We want the COD audience" type of shit.

Because it's copy and paste: the game
Because it has fewer features than the older games and is shallow as fuck
Because it wasn't even fucking finished, cost a stupidly massive amount of money to make and requires mods to make it playable, no exaggeration
But hey at least it had that snazzy release date right? What a fantastic game

Because they have terrible, terrible taste.

too much freedom. so many choices on what to do and where to go I can't decide and just get anxiety that I'm missing out by going the direction I'm going. that stress just makes me check out.

It's not a good game in any respect. It's below average at everything it attempt. All it does is serve as a conduit for people to use their imaginations.

>series alienates core fanbase for normies
>series dies because normies ignore it in favor of some flavor of the month garbage
>series reboots to get it's core fanbase back

the ride never ends

Because it's a mediocre game.
It's babies first rpg for a majority of people.
It has boring combat and a story that starts out good, but falls flat half way through.

>be me
>pirate Shitrim despite knowing it's shit
>Download and install 500 mods to polish this turd
>Make a lewd character
>Fap furiously for 10 minutes
>Get to the actual playing
>Roam for 5 minutes
>Bored, Quit, Uninstall
>Realize a polished turd is still a turd
>Fell for the "it is good with mods meme"
>Get back to enjoying Witcher 3

If you've killed your first dragon, explored your first crypt+nature cave+dwemer ruin+ugly snowelf cave+got sent to stratosphere by a giant, then you've pretty much experienced and everything in the game because it's copypasted as shit, not even the last boss and dungeon is different than the rest

Some people say whatever TES game people play first it'll be their favorite, but it was my first TES game and i thought it was shit

Playing it with sex mods and being able to kill every NPC was an alright experience, but you can't credit beth for that

The main quest is so incredibly anticlimactic. The big, bad dragon is just yet another standard dragon except he never lands on his own.

On Master and Legendary you'll find a bigger challenge beating the guy in front of the sovngard dining hall than actually fighting the dragon.

>Why do so many people here hate Skyrim?
There are a lot of traditional CRPG fans here and they are literally impossible to please.

People here hate many truly great games or just hate games in general really. Never listen to Sup Forums. You should know this by now.

>Sup Forums is one person

I bought the game on release on PS3. That was a wild ride

>runs "smooth" 30fps
>every 5 hours of gametime cuts the fps by 2
>at 50 hours it's barely playable at smooth 4-5 fps, occasionally just freezestuttering for 1-2 seconds
>several quests simply can't be completed due to bugs, one of them being the 3 legendary draugr artifact quest
>a patch is released to fix this bug
>instead of fixing it, they somehow remove the effects of fire, frost, lightning and magic resistance - effectively making my character useless at higher difficulties
>also dragons started flying backwards

Consoleplebbing aside, there's no excuse for releasing a game in that state on any platform. I went back to it a year or so later and it was at least playable. Bought it on a steam sale for PC and put 300 hours into modding. Made the game fun, but the vanilla experience is absolutely terrible.

>implying all of Sup Forums isn't just an AI shitposting with itself

It's just an alright game. I was promised THE BEST GAME. I was promised THE DEEPEST RPG. I was promised REVOLUTIONARY GAMEPLAY.

It's none of those. It's a mediocre game that doesn't do anything horribly wrong, but doesn't bring anything new to the table. The only reason I played it for as long as I did was to finish the story. I also liked the setting.

the real reason is because the game is popular and won a bunch of awards and is praised as one of the best games ever (which is deserved)

Sup Forums is all about counter-culture so it's no surprise the game receives tons of hate here

I am.

Will you be my AI GF?

Reddit e-celebs like the fat cancerbritbong didn't like it

neo-Sup Forums hate it and morrowind while creaming over oblivion while people who were actually here throughout the years know that the real consensus here is the total opposite

It has a nice world to get lost in, but was clearly designed as baby's first sandbox FPSRPG.

- RPG systems nutered to hell
- Classic lazy chosen one story
- Boring dungeon design, linear as all hell, dragonwall and big chest at the end, escape hatch so normies don't get bored backtracking for 2 minutes.

I didn't actually hate the combat. It was decent for an Elder Scrolls game. I don't hate the game either, pretty good introduction for people who never have and otherwise never would have played an RPG before, just isn't for me.

Please explain to me what makes it so good. I'm being genuine here.

The combat feels terrible to me, the world feels lifeless and dead. The dungeons all feel the same. The npcs are forgettable. The towns and questlines weren't great. The dragon fights were awful.

Honestly, what did you like so much about it?

I feel like the gameplay is easily Bethesda's best to date. I've never seen a game that had gameplay match the setting and atmosphere so god damn well. You truly do feel like you are scrounging for every potion arrow and weapon on higher difficulties. But really that gameplay is the only thing that is truly spectacular about the game. And the ending was good but predictable. Overall Gameplay was 9/10 and story was 7/10.

I hope they improve and refine the gameplay even more in the sequel and don't just rest on their laurels.

Wide as a ocean and deep as a puddle

Because its popular

I don't know how anyone could hate Skyrim. It's pretty fucking good.

>He actually believe that Sup Forums hates something just because it's popular

Thanks that was a great quote.

>Please explain to me what makes it so good. I'm being genuine here.
yes me too pls

You have to realize that this is a weaboo board. People here unironically think that Metal Gear Rising is a masterpiece.

Sup Forums's opinion doesn't mean shit.

It won how many GOTY awards? And came just how massively rated by both players and critics?

Naturally Sup Forums hates it. You can set your watch to the pisspants contrarianism around here.

Gee, i wonder what 10000 karma leddit post you got that insight from

That's a pretty shitty ocean.

Because Bethesda has the potential to make the best sandbox RPG ever but they choose not too.

>"too easy"
>repetitive"
>"casual"
Just set the game on legendary if it's piss easy for you guys.

Reminder that Sup Forums hates anything popular.

Please elucidate. I honestly feel like I must just not get it or something. I'd consider it mediocre or worse in nearly every regard but it clearly hits a note with some people.

>bethesda games
>good

it's pretty fucking mediocre at best
i don't think you've been playing video games for very long to have that opinion

Putting on legendary isn't going to fix the shitty quests and voice actors.

This.

I'm fairly sure there's only like 10 real human beans on this whole site at any given time

Because its the best moddable 1st person fantasy wrpg out now.

Dragons dogma is the best 3rd person jrpg btw

Oh, you mean the fighting would become interesting if you simply added much more health to opponents? Gee, I'd love for the dragon fights that are becoming a tedious chore to last even longer.

I'm gonna be in the minority here and say I loved the game. I got really attached to the world and atmosphere and loved the music & environment the game took place in. It makes sense to me why so many people dislike it, and that's because they didn't get invested in the world and atmosphere. Some of you will say the fact that you have to care about the world makes it a shit game, but to each their own, because I really enjoyed the actual gameplay too. The gameplay made me extremely tense, moreso than any other games I've played.

I'll admit that the game has its issues: shitty AI, some dungeons where you can't deviate from how the game wants you to play it, boring puzzles there only to take up time, etc

But despite this, I still enjoyed it a great deal. I know my love for it may not be logical, but this game resonated for me emotionally on a deep level. Because of this, it's flaws don't matter so much to me.

Sup Forums will forever be a contrarian shithole.

The original skyrim was an incredible game. Im sort of worried for the sjw sequel tho.

There's a reason why mods exist.

my only complaint with the modern elder scrolls series are the dungeons. damn they are repetitive and monotonous, same damn textures and architecture in every single one and almost every quest involves dungeons. they all feel exactly the same. this is just ridiculous. i wish Bethesda would learn from rockstar, there are no dungeons in their games and yet they manage to make full size open worlds.

>Tfw to smart for open world videogames

I started playing it today after seeing the new remastered trailer yesterday, and it's great.

I played Fallout earlier and it kind of put me off other Bethesda games, but Skyrim really is quite different. I'm enjoying it very much, though I did get stuck on the first dungeon for quite a while before I got a grasp on how the game actually works and wants me to play. Quite an uncharacteristic difficulty spike and a shitty room layout.

My main problem with Fallout wasn't necessarily that it was a post apocalyptic game, but it was actually like the world's post apocalypse slapped onto a game. The fact that it basically played itself didn't help either.

Skyrim remedies this by keeping the story more simple and grounded, and without bombastic set pieces behind every other corner. It also requires player input that isn't just holding the left stick, and resources are scarce enough to keep me on edge.

And that's a legitimate argument to make. That you enjoyed it despite it's flaws. I respect that opinion and can understand why one would enjoy the game.

I just didn't like it because it didn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game. It felt shallow. The roleplaying was weak. The enemies weren't diverse or interesting. Zambo? Axe it. Bandit? Axe it. Dragon? Bow it, then axe it. I just can't bring myself to enjoy that game, no matter how hard I try.

>A lot of perks are just bad, a lot of perk trees themselves are just bad and not worth investing
>Magic doesn't scale at all, so you simply can not play a magic character at high difficulty
>Enchanting + Blacksmithing is basically mandatory because of how overpowered they are
>Once you max both even Legendary becomes a walk in the park
>Last boss is just another dragon like the one you fought 1000 times before except he now summons tiny meteors
>It's riddled with bugs, literally hundreds as can be proven by the unofficial patches
>Quests are mostly fetch quests, even the daedric shrine quests aren't special this time around
One of them involves you going to 3 places around the world, collect some items, return them and decide whether or not you want to kill some acolyte
>In contrast, Oblivion had a shrine quest where it started raining frogs
>All quest rewards are uselses in comparison to even a Steel sword you can craft with Blacksmithing maxed, even Daedric legendary weapons
>Thieves guild questline barely involved stealing anything Again in contrast with Oblivion where the climax was to break into a heavily guarded library after several preparation quests to steal an elder scroll, easily one of the best quests in the game

It's just not a great game. It has bad dungeon and quest variety, poor balancing, shallow RPG elements and is riddled with bugs.

At least it has great mods and makes for a good waifu simulator.

It is a very good game. My only issue is that I did not care that much about the lore so I had no emotional response to the story. Other than that I love it and will play it again.

>Skyrim was released 5 years ago
>Sup Forums still salty about it

Truly one of the greatest games ever made.

>I did get stuck on the first dungeon for quite a while before I got a grasp on how the game actually works and wants me to play. Quite an uncharacteristic difficulty spike and a shitty room layout.

i mean i guess if you're playing at the default field of view of like 37 degrees and didnt know there was a map that might be excusable

>The original skyrim was an incredible game. Im sort of worried for the sjw sequel tho.
I'm actually speechless. This whole thread is pretty fucking depressing, considering how many people will actually go out of their way and defend Skyrim, of all the fucking games, but this post really takes the cake. I just hope that was a fucking troll or a joke.

Skyrim is unironically one of my favourite games ever made. Other than some rough edges, it was a really enjoyable and well made game. I really can't find any major flaws in it that aren't present in most other games from the genre.

My main issue is with the AI, but it's still much better than the average fucktarded mobs from other RPGs games like Dark Souls or The Witcher.

You're absolutely right but really none of that shit matters and Skyrim is still an amazing game despite all that.

>when you play Skyrim and Dwarf Fortress so Sup Forums can't label you

Autist

You're exactly right. All the criticism is true but it is also false and therefore Skyrim is the best game ever made. Please purchase another copy, it's only 40 bucks.

The next game will be about Redguards and taking revenge on whitey for oppressing them, guaranteed

Its a terrible game that somehow managed to get reputation of being one of the best games ever. Not only it is bad by todays standards but if you compare it to older RPGS its like total horseshit.

It was popular, so Sup Forums is obligated to hate it. There's no actual reason for it.

It's not false, it just doesn't matter. Also you should almost never buy games if you can avoid it, especially not Bethesda games. That's just good money sense.

Skyrim is a great fucking game that gets a bad rap from ultra-plebs who only played it on normal difficulty.

It's not fun if you don't have to ration items and crafting materials, and plan in advance how you're going to get through a particular dungeon using the least amount of resources. Sometimes you might even have to scavenge mid-fight.

This could be Bethesda's fault for not making that the default game experience, but I understand their thinking that it would be too tough for casuals.

And the open world is fucking great too. It's everything that Sup Forums should like, but doesn't because it's filled with little contrarian faggots.

Isn't it confirmed to be about lizards?

Also wasn't Skyrim about ethnics taking revenge on whitey for oppressing them?

Nords are white.

>I have no argument so I'll call everyone who likes the game a troll
classic Sup Forums

It's not confirmed to be about anything.

skyrim is the result of dumbing down a game series for years.
you end up with a game that's highly accessible to dudebros but makes older gamers just disappointed.

Only on Sup Forums can a game like Skyrim be underrated. So many things people complain about are either wrong or totally insignificant. Skyrim is overall the best Elder Scrolls game, and I have played all of them except for Arena. It doesn't have the best story, but it's still the best game in the series. Sup Forums is easily one of the worst boards on this site next to Sup Forums. Just sad. Every time I come here it's just idiots parroting other idiots. That's 90% of what goes on here. Truly trash.

What you're saying is what most people on Sup Forums agree with though.

Skyrim is a shit game that can be made good with mods.

but difficulty just increases the health points of your enemies and the power of their hits, the rest stays the same.

hardest mode is just silly, a random human takes 100 arrows to kill.

So doing this for 5+ minutes is fun for you?

Hardest difficulty is for max blacksmith + enchanting + dual wield + elemental fury shout.

There are no other options unless you want to spend 15 minutes pounding away on a skeever.

Webm related, Legendary difficulty.

I have picked it up again. It's a fun, if not in-depth, game. It helps if you're an elder scrolls lore fan like me, right now I'm a Dunmer trying to collect every book in the game and genocide the argonians for being cunts

If it were you instead of the android.

>Never should have come here...

>lewrongvideogamegeneration

He I wanna play a video game I'll go grab my pencil and paper to write down the names of locations
Gee I'm glad they didn't have the character do it automatically and represent it on a map

True Bethesda polish right there.

>Talk to bar person
>Hey! Let's have a nice brawl, shall we? Haha, winner takes 50 gold, are you game? ^^
>Okay
>Never should have come here! I'll gut you like a skeever! For the nords!
>Good battle, friend! Here's your gold, and hey if you need someone to accompany you on your travels, just ask!

Mods can't fix shitty core gameplay.

Nords are Nordic, retard. AKA white
Even the imperials are Hispanic at most
It's a game about whites fighting agains globalism

>how to spot the guy from reddit

This will explain everything:

youtube.com/watch?v=JweTAhyR4o0

so many n'wahs in this thread

It's a watered down piece of shit but obviously with mods you can get a good amount of fun out of it so I don't hate it.

>tfw fellow classmates were greeting each other with "Skyrim!" because they were so hype.

Pic relate was my expression.

It's supremely comfy. It has great sound design and a fantastic score, which are elements of game design that typically get completely overlooked despite being easily as important as graphics. Thanks to the soundscape, you can easily become totally immersed in roaming the snowy wilderness even despite the janky Bethesda ragdoll physics and retarded AI.

The fantasy Viking setting was a nice change from the previous Elder Scrolls installments, which had an annoying hard-on for weeaboo aesthetics.

The main storyline is cliched as hell, but personally I really enjoy RPGs with a "chosen one" arc, much like the stories in Morrowind and Oblivion. If cliche isn't your thing, Elder Scrolls games aren't for you either.

And despite all the people saying its just a copy-and-paste job, that's not actually true at all. A lot of the dungeons play the same way, sure, but there's also a great deal of locations that are totally unique and memorable. All of the different capital cities had a different theme and feel to them, and the first time you end up in Blackreach it is genuinely terrifying.

Add to all that the fact that it is endlessly moddable, and you've got yourself a game into which you can easily sink hundreds of hours.

Personally, I don't understand how people can hate on Skyrim yet they'll wank on incessantly about how Final Fetchquest 7 was the greatest RPG ever made.