Playing Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 recently made me realize how shitty is Team ICO when it comes to optimization...

Playing Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 recently made me realize how shitty is Team ICO when it comes to optimization, makes me wish they were just in charge of the artistic deparment and other team was in charge of the gameplay/optimization

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QQINg_uAGzE
youtube.com/watch?v=rg48KvAVakQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's why GenDesign happened. Other people came in to finally make their engine actually work on consoles.

It aged poorly, don't ever show this to young gamers.

youtube.com/watch?v=QQINg_uAGzE

nice jerb they did on that.

It's CINEMATIC

They actually fixed it from restarting the system. I hear the patches will fix some of the bs that is happening on OG ps4

I still love the game because i dont have anything similar to this currently apart from some Kikestarter indie projects that will release on 2019 at the earliest, i just wanted to see if it was a The Last Guardian problem or the team just shit when it comes to actually making it work

That's literally how it is with TLG though, SONY ported it and made the engine.

I feel kind of bad for Fumita. he just wanted to make a game he wanted to make and Sony fucked everything up.

>83 after 10 years of hell
>Fucked up
Its a miracle user

Dude, i've been playing it on the ps2 too and even though the bosses are fun, the controlls and the camera angles are simply frustrating.
Also the game runs at 15-20 fps

i remember when i was younger and i didnt give a fuck about fps when playing it and i had a blast.
We all just go back to being happy fucks and just have fun

Team ico is Sonys team freak

You mean game freak

DF found a way to trigger console upscaling while running 1080p mode so you should get 30fps flat whle running 4K.
>youtube.com/watch?v=rg48KvAVakQ

That's pretty rad, but I gotta get a PS4 Pro. So far this game is my Goty, but I know im in the minority saying that.

I think almost everyone agrees that the game is good but the fps is a huge problem that shoulve been addressed before release because they had time for it, but Team ICO is like From Software and most of their games have some technical problems

>made me realize how shitty is Team ICO when it comes to optimization
t. somebody who has know idea about graphics rendering

motion blur, bloom, fake HDR on PS2 was a pretty big achievement

it also made the atmosphere of the game

Shadow of the Colossus may have the worst controls ever.

The framerate was expected, but my issue is the occasionally dodgy AI (which might be intentional). I'll see a chasm which Trico clearly has to jump over, he gets into position, I hop on his back, and...nothing. I have to just sort of sit around, and wait for him to decide to do it. I always hated the horse in SotC for the same reason. Maybe it's an intentional "It's behaving like a real animal" thing, but that doesn't stop it from being kind of annoying.

Triangle to jump? What were they THINKING?

Thats the problem with this game, Trico acts like a real life animal were you dont always expect it to do what you want, that will be great for some since is a novelty but tedious for others that just wanna to solve the puzzles and finish the game

Specially since the game has speedrun trophies

I preferred it the way they made it desu, because it is clearly intentional that Trico is supposed to act like a real life puppy. And also it is far more harder to make an ai that seems dynamic rather than an ai that is perfect at its job.

That's like asking to own a perfect dog that does everything you want, rather than a loving companion that goes through some troubles between you and itself.

>15-20 fps
>b-but it's ok when team ico does it!!!
sonykeks on suicide watch

>seeing what NeoFags were trying to defend

I guess you're talking about Prey for the Gods, which is pretty much a SoTC clone minus the unique artstyle and everything that makes SoTC stand out, even today.

>he just wanted to make a game he wanted to make and Sony fucked everything up.
Source?

Just wait for a re-release on the PS5. Ico and SotC were better with those hd remasters btw.

>Ico and SotC were better with those hd remasters btw.
How is that debatable? It's not like there were some questionable graphical of audio changes for autists to say the originals were better. The ICO and SotC remasters were just the originals in HD, better controls I think, and better frame rate.

SotC is one of the most technically sophisticated games ever made, relative to its hardware. Procedural animation, real time, collision mesh deformation, psudo-dynamic lighting, fur, the fact that it was able to reach the framerate it has is a testament to the team's technical ability.

None of that technobabble means a damn if the game runs like shit

That'll be solved in time. People keep on believing framerates for games are in a stand still on consoles. But look at Last of Us. All you fags were complaining it was unplayable on PS3 with a 30fps. And you guys started liking it when it went 60fps.

The simple point is that it had a horrendous framerate because it pushed the PS2 beyond what it really should have been capable of, not because the team were not capable of optimisation, or incompetent on a technical level, quite the opposite.

It's an assumption that can only be made looking back now that hardware has dramatically improved. In its time there was no game on the PS2 that could compare.
Whether 20fps at all tolerable is another matter.

>All you fags were complaining it was unplayable on PS3 with a 30fps.
I don't think I ever heard that particular complaint.

>And you guys started liking it when it went 60fps.
News to me.

Well, that was my main criticism of the ps3 version of The Last of Us and I told my piece of that during when it released. The game had shitty shooting controls with a shit framerate. Only after it came out on PS4 I truly enjoyed my experience with it.

>shit framerate
I don't see how it was worse than most other titles on the system.

>shitty shooting controls
And was this somehow improved in the remaster?

It's still better than *press X for everything* in modern games. Like in FFXV, where jump button is also used to talk to people and interact with items.

>It's still better than *press X for everything* in modern games.
That's not really a fair comparison and you know it. Just about any action game these days has better controls.

After seeing that very same screenshot, I searched for the post just to make sure it was real. They actually start defending 15 fps, saying they enjoyed OoT at that frame rate, proving that the silky smooth 30 fps must not be a meme to some people. In their defense though, they probably hadn't actually seen what they were trying to defend and didn't realize not only the frame rate drops, but the game also lags.

The fps helps out on the still shitty shooting mechanics.

Where as with TLG I see nothing wrong with it, but the camera (which is standard ICO/SotC affair) and the FPS.

That's not really improving the mechanics, just you're ability to respond in combat. The controls are identical.

>That'll be solved in time
That's quite irrelevant. I don't judge games today based on how they'll play a generation from now in a remaster. That might be valid for a future PC release, but not here.

ICO was technically not much optimized, the resolution was ridiculous low, but even so the game was beautiful.
SotC was much better, it was impossible to optimize further because a lot of visual e technical features were fruit of optimization.