FFX

>FFX
>Summons are just meatshields

>FFXII
>Summons are just somewhat stronger party members who still die against anything remotely strong

>FFXIII
>Summons are fucking transformers

>FFXV
>Summons are a flashy mechanic that occasionaly triggers to ensure that the player doesnt have a hard time by onehitting anything

Why cant they get summons right anymore?

>>FFXIII
>>Summons are fucking transformers
>mfw they made a joke about how weird the summons looked in WoFF

X post game Aeons were actually the tits. Anima was pretty good, yojimbo was the ultimate cheese, and flower sisters were legit fucking power houses

X and XIII are the only games where I frequently use them in battle. they tend to be too weak and/or costly

Alright, user. How do you want summons to work. Tell us exactly how they should work in final fantasy games, and elaborate instead of just saying "like the older games" cause I'm sick of this "older ones did it better" meme

The older ones did do them better though? You can't say summons 13 and 15 are not the worst in the series

>older ones did it better

...But they did. You can't just dismiss the correct answer because it b you the f out.

XIII wasn't bad. It was flashy and they provided much needed help without going overboard and making the game too easy. XV did them better than I expected because it seems like a weird mechanic to throw into an arpg, but at least it's not as bad as kingdom hearts summons. Can't imagine how they could've done it better

The old summons are just glorified magic spells. It's not a even remotely interesting system, even if it is effective.
I'm glad FFX changed this formula, honestly.

Just make summons stronger spells?

I can dismiss it if people just use that as an excuse to not elaborate. It's such a vague answer, especially seeing how summoning is different in ever final fantasy

Not Op but
A very strong 'magic' attack with some cool monsters animation and some epicz cutscene.

Pretty much. Something that's super powerful but also super costly and flashy and shit.

FFXII
>Summons are just somewhat stronger party members who still die against anything remotely strong
I.e what they were before X?

I liked summons in X. Too bad they were just too underused after a few hours and were only good for meatshields then.
However, I did a run a few ,onths ago were I only got the levels you get while plaxing normally and was surprised how useful Anima and the Magus Trio (and Demi) can be in Omegas cave and the final dungeon.

I remember Summons being OP shit in FFX because they got "break damage limit" during the story.

I remember as a youngin using summons to cheese Seymour Flux because I didn't have any Anti-Petrify gear

I really should play FFX HD I bought on Black Friday. Is it playable on PS4 or did I impulse waste $5?

The problem in XII is that they replace two of your party members and don't make up for it in the utility you lose, and their special attacks are too situational to trigger.

How do you even discover that you need to be petrified to trigger one of their ultimate attacks?

It's fine

Oh wow, your memory is shit, man.
Aeons don't get break damage limit unless you get the corresponding final weapon and unlock it completely. The only Aeons having inherent break damage limit are Anima and the trio. And none of those two mor the final weapons do you get during the story.

Also you could have cheesed Seymor only by using them as meatshields, as he one shots all xour aeons.

Yeah, I played it when I was 11 on release so my memory is a bit foggy.

Probably going to play it again soon

In IZJS espers are controllable, have more abilities (they can all cast healing magic) and can perform their special attack at any time. This on top of a passive ribbon ability and MP-less casting.

That said the flaw is that espers are fixed to your level. They should scale to +10 levels or something at least, and the time limit is too short.

Oh, well shit i never played that version. :D Guess the remaster will be more interesting than i thought.

In a bit of googling it seems that I was thinking of Overdrives.

I maxed all their Overdrive gauges so I could use it when I summoned them before he dismissed them

>Tfw want to replay FFX but I just rented FFXV from Gamefly and feel compelled to beat it even if its ehhh.

The combats not terrible, but I like 100%ing my RPGs and there are so many boring as fuck mindless hunts and shit.

Might wait till I can ride a chocobo at least

I liked how XIII handled summons aside from the transformers part. I liked the idea of having a summon assigned to each character and how they interacted in cutscenes but from a gameplay perspective they could have been a lot better.

>party disappearing when a summon was on the field
>was barely stronger than your other party members anyway
>...
>thats it

I don't know, maybe in a game like XV (open world) the transformed summons could have been used in the overworld to travel faster, or have them interact with the environment to destroy obstacles or get to hard to reach areas.

XIII? Why? It takes a shit ton of time to charge them and they do crap damage.

Other than a free healing, summons are shit for most part of the game in FFXIII

>XV (open world) the transformed summons could have been used in the overworld to travel faster, or have them interact with the environment to destroy obstacles or get to hard to reach areas.

So turn them into pokemon HM whores?

>but from a gameplay perspective they could have been a lot better.
Now when I think about it, I kinda liked it. They came out, did damage for a while and after that they go with a big bang (their limitbreak so to say). They came as a huge DPS spike and you were able to interact with it. Its kinda neat actually. Also if I remember it correctly your party was fully healed when they leave again. Or dead member were revived, its been a while. But I know I used them as a "oh shit" button at times.

Comparable I guess. Just something to add a little more interactivity outside of combat

Why did user forget 2 games?

Golden Sun did it best and this cannot be denied.

>FFVIII
>Summons are (You)

Who cares about MMO shit.

The primals you fight in XIV are pretty damn badass though. Too bad they look like shit if you summon them yourself though. XI did a great job in that regard though.

What about VIII they literally cost nothing and you can pass half of the game mashing the Gf command

Nah man. Summons shouldn't be just flashy spells. They should differentiate from that. X has the best summons.

>Nah man. Summons shouldn't be just flashy spells

Yes they should. What now?

>Older ones did it better
>implying summons in past FF games werent glofiried AoE magic spells.

Yeah but then you lose your memory :^)

Summoning Eden was great if you needed to take a quick piss during battle.

>give FFX summons a higher stat cap and no damage cap at all
>they would actually matter again endgame

Stop spreading false propaganda Trabia Fag

But in the plus side
>watch opening cutscene
>unlock a trophy
>get into first battle
>try out some of the different things you can do
>instantly unlock 6 trophies
>camp
>unlock 3 more trophies
>look at trophy list
>they're all easy trophies
I'm kind of relieved but also somewhat dissapointed. These are the shittiest trophies from a square Enix game yet.

>FFX
>Yojimbo saves you from grinding by OKOing every optional boss
not even mad

The why even differentiate them?

They deserve to get nuked for spreading propaganda like that.

enjoy grinding Promptos and Gladios trophy.

>Also you could have cheesed Seymor only by using them as meatshields, as he one shots all xour aeons.
Or by grinding LB for each of them before the boss.

>mfw summoned brojimbo against penance

Do FFXV summons really onehit everything?

Not him but the average player isn't going to give IZJS a fair try because of their bias towards the old version.
Controllable Espers, controllable guests and you can change their gambits, SPEED UP TOGGLE, there are enough awesome changes to warrant another shot!

>Turn on console
>Play FFXV
>Wrap rubber bands around joysticks
>Sleep
Took me 3 nights of sleeping, quite the struggle my man let me tell you!

The old way of doing summons, that is, a glorified spell, is boring and doesn't give the summon the gravitas and unique value that it clearly deserves.

When it's just something you pick from your summons list, then watch an animation, it's nothing more than an ace in the hole spell if you're having a hard time, or something you pop out of habit when you hit a boss.

I think what XIII did was interesting, making the summons playable. That could have been a cool idea to explore further in XV since it'd be fully-user controlled and real-time.

XV is basically the "old way," that being a cutscene that does damage, but it removes player control because they wanted the summons to feel like they had some sort of agency, or something.

I don't really know what the right way to do a summon is, but I'd rather they continue to experiment with the idea instead of resigning them to a lame and sort of redundant function.

They're actually my highest ones right now. I unlocked aperture early on because it was good for AP since he was going to be taking pictures anyway, and I can also force him to take pictures with the tech. And I've been doing a lot of sidequest so that means lots of running around. Do they get harder to level up as the game progresses further?

>Summoning is different in every FF
It's not though. Basically every summon before FF10 worked exactly the same.

>implying they needed to be anything more
>implying the animations weren't what made them cool
>implying every spell needs its own gameplay mechanic
>implying I should aim my fireballs with the right analogue stick and waggle to call down lightning

No thanks.

They're differentiated by their form, not their function. Lore and aesthetic reasons are all the reason there needs to be.

>The old way of doing summons, that is, a glorified spell, is boring

I don't find it boring. What now?

It helps to differentiate the classes, which is a big part of the franchise.
>black mages do elemental damage
>warriors do physical damage
>and so on
With so many summons also being elemental based, there is nothing to differentiate a summoner from a black mage.

I dunno man, enjoy the many, many, many games that use this same summon idea?

FFXV was like the older game where they're just a cutscene. I really like the shiva scene. And they don't one hit anything over level 70.

you are talking to FF nostalgiafags, some of the biggest shiteaters in vidya. they will find a way to justify any garbage the old games did, only winning move is not to play

>He didnt play the best FF

It aged like milk though. Not saying XIV is better (far from it, the streamlined job system is a fucking mess and killed everything FFXI made unique) but its hard as fuck to get into XI again. I still have fond memories of it.

You can polish a turd user, but it's still a turd.

Nothing about Golden Sun was good.

fuck you carbuncle is great!

i would advise skipping all side quests until you get your chocobo actually. cuts down on time and you can get the ap for riding the bird skill.

ff12 was a failed experiment with the story getting fucked by switching directors halfway through. i wouldnt call it a turd, but it was a let down. it was better than 2, 3, 8, 10,10-2 and all the 13's though.

They wouldn't be boring if they were really quick.

No summon should have a sequence longer than ten seconds.

it became more about spectacle and not practical, besides summons were never super useful, I guess in games with forced party members like rydia in FF4, you may as well use them, but it was always better to just fill up your party with people that did damage cap numbers without having to rely on a 40 second cutscene to do it.

summons do higher damage in (forced) larger aoe for an increased MP cost or limited use. black mages can cast spells that are stronger on a single target more frequently.

>ffviii has a two minute summon
They were trolling us right?

pretty much, even now that its easier, its still a pretty esoteric game, and you will never have the adventures that lead to your memories again, since levelling is all solo now, and that's how the community came together originally, now the game is just a bunch of elitists are 30+ year olds that hate every other MMO on the market doing endgame trials and fucking off to w/e they do irl afterwards.

Am I retarded for not even trying the boost command at anytime and just went through the game not once using the GF command?

Yes and No.

depends how well you abused the junction system. using the summons in 8 is a noob trap and the long/wrong way to play.

I liked X's summons. They were more than just extended magic attacks.

Golden Sun

>Kingdom Hearts Summons
>Granted, most of them were fucking useless.....
>Tinkerbell was a fucking requirement for some boss battles

6 and 8 handled them the best imo. 6's espers not only were summons, but they also taught you magic and provided stat bonuses when you leveled.

8 took it to a whole new level. Not only were they flashy attacks, but they also served as ways to mete out damage and taught skills and unlocked junction bonuses to make your characters stronger. They also were used as a stupid plot point

KH2 summons are genuinely useful without being required for anything.

>AMNESIA!
>EXPLAINS WHY NO ONE REMEMBERS FUCKING ANYTHING IN THIS FUCKING GAME

>he doesn't know how op genie can be in the cavern
>chicken little literally saves your ass on lv1 critical
>tinkerbell literally makes you invincible
>stitch... nuff said
Did you even use them?

>One guy remembers it all because he was literally the last party member to join so you couldn't throw any GFs on him

I'll be forthright, I liked the way XV did summons. Summons in the series are often deities so it makes perfect sense that they'd be able to oneshot everything to oblivion, and from a gameplay perspective it helps you feel relieved if you're in a really tight pinch.

Same, I never got the getting a new overdrive from the dog in besaid for valefor

>grinding
>Prompto

Was my first one to max and it happened before finishing the game.

Nah, the story went that everybody used GF's when they started working for SeeD. Irving (Irvine?) simply started using GF's later than most people would, which is why he remembers. It could also be attributed to sheer luck, since they were never specific about what or how much they forgot.

>But apparently it's your whole childhood

No but it's still worth using, I'm not quite done with the endgame shit but it does like a quarter of damage to most of the tougher shit and it's totally free to use

Yes

BS Ramuh even 1 hit that level 72 King Behemoth

Ignis is taking me forever since I never rest until I have 50k+ xp and I only use gualdin quay. I only camp when I have negligible xp and I need it to be day

Fishing is unbearably boring too, fuck that sidequest

No, he never used a GF until he joined your party.

Maybe fight something over level 80 and get back to me.

>just chill and explore the world in FF15 for a bit
>party is around lv 34
>dropships every 10 seconds shitting out a bunch of lv 46 assholes

WHOEVER THE FUCK IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS DESERVES TO GET FIRED FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Seriously, this bullshit makes hunts and shit far more annoying than it needs to be. Makes me wish Ramuh always comes out, shit like this is needed in FF15.

>it's another "the game gets better 60 hours in" episode

I was one shotting most things with basic attacks cause the broken junction system, thought the GF's were just slightly stronger than the spells of that element but I'd use them anyway cause the GF was too long for an impatient child like I was

That shit is exactly what made me just do the main story and be done with it all.

>get in car
>ENEMY DROPSHIP
>kill them all
>try to get back in car
>Enemy dropship
>eventually just sprint away and warp to hammerhead with car for 100 gil

Cidney probably sends them after you just so she can make a profit.

ff9's garnet trance could have been a great summon mechanic. Summon it, they do initial damage, they stay in combat off-screen, and cast shit whenever they feel like it. Of course, making the summon visible for it's duration would have been dope.

No, I specifically said endgame and the guy asked if everything dies. I know for a fact there are things that don't. Most of the shit that you can kill with it you shouldn't be in a situation where it triggers anyway. It's a trump card for when you're getting assfucked by shit. If it is available you are underleveled or suck.

I really dont get why this was considered okay. I wouldnt even mind it if it would happen less frequently. It would feel like some kind of random encounters. Just tone this shit down a bit. But as it is now it really kills the whole open world aspect. Its not fun to do ANYTHING if you get constantly spammed with fucking dropships with a bunch of high level assholes. Especially if you try to do stronger hunts. Or youre looking for something and those fuckers spawn right at the searching point so you cant even avoid them.

Any decent magic aoe fucks them up and it gives pretty decent xp for an instant mass genocide. Once you have some mega elixers mix those in and you anally rape little shitbags like that.