twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Might and Magic 3-8
Grimrock 2
Wizardry 8
Geneforge series
Fallout 1 and 2
Diablo
Divine Divinity

does LoL have vancian casting or is it good?

>Lands of Lore
This looks interesting. Is it any good?

Its a pretty good casual dungeon crawler.

>vancian casting

See the blue M?

Wizardry 8 is hot garbage. I don't know how it became a cred game but it certainly wasn't on account of people actually playing that turd.

The Temple of Elemental Evil.

I will not let this game be forgotten.

Valders gate

Pacheco torment

Mind bounty

You can still get Grimrock 2 for 1 bux for the next 35 minutes on Humble

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 (1 is better)
Arx Fatalis
Wasteland 1 and 2
Fallout 1 and 2
Underrail
Planescape: Torment (iffy mechanics but great setting and story)
Arcanum (same as above)
Darklands
Temple of Elemental Evil
Ultima 7+Serpent Isle
Serpent in the Staglands

you see that time stop?

You can cast it.

>no Icewind Dales

I will let you pass because of the ToEE mention

>good CRPG

Doesn't exist. Stop playing old, clunky trash. No one thinks you're cool and edgy because you're such a contrarian. Play The Witcher 3 and or Fallout 4 if you want actual quality backed up by raving fan and critical acclaim.

wizardry 4

Ecks
Fucking
Dee

You were actually on to something until you mentioned Fallout 4.

Not an argument you butthurt contrarians. Theres a reason why no one cares about your ugly old games, and it's not becauss you're some sort of superior beings with "good tastes" while everyone else is some poopeater.

Fallout 4 is good, you contrarian shitter.

Apart from those mentioned, Betrayal at Krondor

>it's not becauss you're some sort of superior beings with "good tastes" while everyone else is some poopeater

No one said that. It's like me saying as a fact that you hate people who read books because they think they're superior by thinking their smart and shit on gamers.

Amazing how you're the only one throwing out slander and hate in the thread and everyone else is nice and helpful.

Brcause it has good combat and is fun

Alright, thanks. I do enough dungeon crawlers, especially when they don't just try to copy Etrian Odyssey.

I actually just picked up the first two games for 89¢ off GOG, and the third for another 89¢, which was certainly a good deal. Although for some reason, they're now listed for $2.39 each. Not sure if I just hit the tail end of a really good sale or what, but I doubt I'll complain for that price.

>Geneforge series
I played the 1st game for a while, I was pleasantly surprised at how neat it was
>tfw putting Takers in their place

Good old LoL. Did you know it now runs on ScummVM? Feels much better to play than on Dosbox.

Also Patrick Stewart voice over!

The first game was comfy af when I was 7

What would be a good starting CRPG for a JRPG babby such as myself?

The combat isn't good and it definitely isn't fun to have to slog through one billion random encounters per minute, which is a tedious chore even with the completely mandatory fan patch that increases the animation speeds by 10x.

Diablo.

>The combat isn't good
Yes it is fuck off

im not qualified at all to tell you what a good crpg is. i hate rpgs in large, i cannot get immersed into them and prefer more gamey games.

but i love fallout new vegas

what the fuck does that have to do with anything

Good choice, top game.

They don't really make good CRPGs anymore so anything you get recommended is going to be old and probably difficult to get into.

Probably Fallout 1, Morrowind, or Temple of Elemental Evil, depending on whether you want story (Fallout), exploration (Morrowind) or Combat (ToEE). All of those games have somewhat complicated character creation.

If you want an easier game to start with that's also more modern, Pillars of Eternity is legitimately pretty good after they spent a year working on it, but the expansions are kind of mandatory as they are the best content in the game.

If you're willing to just go all-in and deal with old / difficult gameplay, Ultimas 4-7 and Darklands are still the best.

Other old and good games:

Might and Magic: World of Xeen (it's 4 and 5 combined into the same game) is by far the best M&M game.
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Pool of Radiance (the DOS one, not the 3d one that deletes your C: drive when you uninstall it)
Betrayal at Krondor
Quest for Glory (this series is RPG more than adventure game)
Starflight (top tier but real archaic)

maybe try reading the topic of the thread

How's Age of Decadence?

Neptunia.

>I have nothing to actually contribute to the thread because I don't like the mentioned topic but I'll chime in anyway

Yep, its a Sup Forums post.

It is very good, but don't expect to go in like a mighty hero who vanquishes his heinous foes in glorious combat.
Lots of annoying skill checks, but you learn to live with them.

> Pillars of Eternity is legitimately pretty good

Am I gonna be screwing myself pretty hard if I create my entire party for the first playthru?

I like using my own portraits.

Langrisser 2.

I have it as a rom on my spare phone and I use it on the treadmill at the gym. An hour will go by at 4mph on a 15 degree incline and I won't even notice.

>What would be a good starting CRPG for a JRPG babby such as myself?
I'm not familiar enough with CRPGs to offer too much of a recommendation. Probably Legend of Grimrock if you insist on some action in your battles like Final Fantasy/Tales of insists on always using.

The biggest difference is that CRPGs tend to require you to keep notes on what's going on so that when a NPC directs you some other location - another town by name, for example - then you need to know where that town is and how to get their on your own. It isn't a convenient "take the next cave and your destination is on the other side" that most JRPGs love doing. Also, the combat/menu systems tend to be rather confusing and unusual, but if you've played a few Final Fantasy games then you probably have encountered a good number of nonsense menu screens that you need a guide to figure out.

This. Also, do yourself a HUGE favor on download the SGM-V2.01.sf2 soundfont and use that for the music. Night and day difference!

See this comparison video of the Monkey Island 2 intro to get an idea of what to expect:
youtube.com/watch?v=m6r5iWfbjlI

Also, one of my favorites would be Ultima Underworld.

Not really. It's not like that game even allows you to have a bad build. And even if you do, a level 1 character can still complete it solo on the hardest difficulty provided he is dedicated enough with his kiting.

Might and Magic 6
Anachronox
Baldur's Gate 2 was made to compete with Final Fantasy so I'd say that one

Depends on the JRPGs you used to play. If you played things like Strange Journey, Dark Tower or Shining Force you are pretty much good to go, juts pick whatever strikes your fancy.

>Stop playing old, clunky trash. No one thinks you're cool and edgy because you're such a contrarian.

You should have stopped there if you really wanted more replies.

i was giving my experience with an rpg i actually like against all odds maybe read my post shitposter

What about in terms of storyline? Side quests and the like?

Dwarf Fortress

>good
>crpgs

Go play some real games.

Well, you'll miss out on that, alright. But for the most part companion quests aren't really that good, nor are locations and such locked behind them. But if you don't want to miss out just temporarily bench one of your custom party members, pick up a companion, then dump them once you are finished with their quest.

>playing shit for unskilled plebs

Please go back to the rp"g" forum of your taste and stop shitting Sup Forums.

>games of nothing but qtes
i will never understand the appeal to fighting/beatemups. ys was enjoyable the 3 hours i played before i got bored

Are you retarded?

Anime fighters are even worse. These people have deluded themselves into thinking mashing combos in SP games take still.

there is zero mechanical difference between a fighting/beatemup and a rhythm game

Geneforge Saga Stea m or GOG?

HAHAHAHAHHAA

Holy fuck go back to your movie games, i am going to die of laughter,

Patrician.
Best crawler combat ever made desu senpai.
>Being this spiteful over a genre because you're too retarded to play it

Probably GOG but the steam version might be DRM free too. I think the guy who made it put up a demo so I would try it before you buy.

>Grimrock
>good

That is a pretty good list user.
I like you

Especially World of Xeen will forever be my favorite comfy CRPG.
And for the guy who wanted to get a starting point. MMX is actually pretty good. It has more in common with Xeen than with the MMVI and beyond.

I generally opt for GOG simply because they have manuals and additional material for easy download, right next to the game download. Steam will sometimes have a manual on their store page (and sometimes not) but it still requires visiting the store page to get, rather than being right there. Also, if you own a game on GOG and you buy a package, you get the full sale discount% but only pay for the games you don't own.

On the other hand, Steam more frequently has sales down to the lowest sale price. You'll be waiting longer for a specific game to get a good sale price on GOG.

World Of Xeen is one of my favorites as well. I've been on the fence about MMX for awhile now, maybe I'll get it.

MMX is not like Xeen. Everything is gated and locked off. The only similarity is that it's grid based and full turn-based.

Literally the best crpg to be released in 10 years

It starts of with a tutorial section. But after the first castle you can go anywhere.
The only gating after that is due to mobs being way to high level for your party. But that is the same as in Xeen and just due to the fact that there is no level scaling. Which is the best thing about it imho. Since level scaling is cancer. Also they kept Trainers in the game, which I don't like, but I wouldn't see them as gating.

But of course it is a new low-budget Ubisoft game. So do not expect it to be exactly like one of the best CRPGs ever made! Just give it a try (and keep playing past the tutorial zone) and you might be pleasantly supersized.

I certainly was. And anybody who makes a game like this in this day and age deserves my money a hundred times over.

Yeah, no. Even MMX is better than that trash

I dunno. I was very disappointed with Grimrock. It felt more like a Puzzle Game to me. Combat was dull and your Stats had no noticeable impact on the game. It felt like there were virtually no mechanics in the game aside from the puzzles and some square dancing...

Did LoGII improve in this aspect?