Can someone please explain to me the appeal of this fedora edgy as fuck angsty teen fanfic tier excuse of a villain?

Can someone please explain to me the appeal of this fedora edgy as fuck angsty teen fanfic tier excuse of a villain?

Heck, the whole game is edgy as fuck, with Celes being brutally beaten over and over again for shock value because she's female. Jesus Christ FF6 sucked

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Niulhs8ErCA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's evil.

He's vaguely similar to the Joker, and appeals to people's childhood. It's been long enough since FFVI that he has his own nostalgic value on top of that. Plus he won for a while. You have to respect that.

He's intelligent, nihilistic, and has a wicked sense of humor. What more is there to explain?

>for shock value because she's female
>>>/tumblr/

Final Fantasy 6 was weirdly darker than the rest of the series, at some point during my first play I was wondering if Terra was going to get raped.

Well he's a flamboyant psychopath who destroys entire worlds, kills countless thousands of innocent people, unleashes forbidden destructive magics to ravage the land..... because it's FUNNY!

>because she's female

What states that? It proves the strength of her character, to me.

FF6 is not a cheerful game, despite Kefka's "random" madness and the more light-hearted bits, overall the game is very dark.

>Can someone please explain to me the appeal of this fedora edgy as fuck angsty teen fanfic tier excuse of a villain?

Because people's first JRPG was either VI and VII so nostalgia fags will praise the villains despite them being average at best

>overall the game is very dark

Why Square went full shoneshit with 7?

Honestly this.

I liked him because he was the first villain who wanted to destroy the world AND HE FUCKING DID IT.

Every FF is different, man. You know that.

Mostly because he broke the whole "save the world" RPG trope in two. You FAIL to save the world.

He was the first villain to do that in JRPGs, which makes him all the more notable. If JRPG villains were considered top tier on madness alone, you'd have the likes of Luca Blight in everyone's top 5.

is he, dare i say, the /absolute madman/ ?

So you're a edgy faggot teenager then? Also Ganon, and plenty of other villains have successfully "destroyed" the world.

FF6 was one of the first games i had ever played where the villian legit killed people right in front of you by poisoning those people

now it seems like nothing but at the time that was pretty scary

> overall the game is very dark.

How? The only "dark" moments I can remember in the game was Kefka poisoning the Kingdom and one of the characters attempting suicide. Those themes aren't new at all in a FF game. Hell, XIII had both of those

>now it seems like nothing

Actually, no. Active villains like Kefka are a rarity

Kefka never destroyed the world

This thing doesn't even have a personality.

Kefka was a class A petty troll who lucked into power. That's why he's the best.

Because he's not evil, he's just suffering

youtube.com/watch?v=Niulhs8ErCA

>he destroyed the world
>you fail to save the world
What? He fucks it up good, but there are still people living there. And you defeat him in the end, with everyone hard at work at rebuilding.

I'm pretty tired of this edgy bullshit about how he was the first villain to DESTROY THE WORLD (ALWAYS IN ALL CAPS TO SHOW HOW EPIC IT IS) even though he neither was the first nor actually destroyed the world anymore than Ganon did in LttP, which game out ~three years prior.

World of Ruin could be considered as the world being destroyed. It is also on a downslope to just straight up dying until he's taken down.

Kefka is a shit villain. Just like the Joker in the batman but normies eat that shit up.

A good villain is one with a genuine purpose, not someone who's just batshit insane.

>Plus he won for a while. You have to respect that.
But not really. All the work, intelligence and planning was Emperor Gestahl. At the very last moment when all Gestahl's plans came to fruition, Kefka Reddited around like an aspie and accidentally fell assbackwards into power. His bazinga so crazy shtick just happened to align with what was necessary for the Goddesses to imbue him with their power.

Had Gestahl taken power as he had planned, the Returners would be fucked. He'd have just ashed them all and then done whatever he wanted. Ruled the cosmos. But lolrandum clown had power and so he shot lolrandum lasers here and there. He was too crazy to even focus long enough to destroy the world. And when the time came where the Returners arrived to put him down, he was still too crazed to focus and bring his infinite powers to bare to squash them.

Kefka wasn't the villain, he was Gestahl's foil and the only thing that saved the world. The incompetent lackey that seized power from the true threat and was too retarded to use it properly.

>World of Ruin could be considered as the world being destroyed
Only if you're a fucking illiterate moron. It isn't destroyed, it's just shitty.

>It is also on a downslope to just straight up dying until he's taken down
But he is taken down at the end of the game, so he doesn't actually succeed at doing anything other than making the world a crappy place to live for a while.

its only considered destroyed by edgy Kefka fanboys

he just moved a few rocks around

far worse things have happened to the Earth you are on and no one considers it destroyed

The darkest FF game is X. The encounter with Yunalesca was the only moment in FF history that gave me chills. I mean people like Yuna have been dying for no reason for 1000 years.

When I first played X it's story/theme was so convoluted i couldn't really understand anything that was going on towards the end

such a shame

To be fair, the system worked pretty good for a while only needing to lose a summoner every century. Then sin started to respawn faster.

Agreed. X is fucking brutal, I can't imagine living in that world

>just living your life
>giant ass invincible monster swims up and obliterates your entire village and kills everyone you know for no reason
>have to live in constant fear that that might happen at any moment, no matter where you are

Oh, and also your loved ones turn into monster that will rip your throat out if there doesn't happen to be a summoner nearby after they die. Yeesh

>not Sephiroth
>he destroyed the world lmao

my first was FF I

I think he's also a bit notable because, compared to a lot of the villains that came after him in the series (maybe before as well, but I can't remember), he's a bit unique in that they don't give him some half-assed sympathetic reason to try to fuck everything up. Compared to a lot of other JRPG's it's refreshing to have a big bad who doesn't whine about how something bad happened to him and now he's going to wreck everything because angst.

(You)
also kill yourself

Nigga Hiroshima'd the entire fucking planet.

It's rare to see a villain actually succeed.

ExDeath was the best FF villain desu

>they don't give him some half-assed sympathetic reason to try to fuck everything up

Yeah they do. He was just some normal teenager that Gestahl had cruel experiments done upon that broke his sanity and made him crave destruction and nihilism.

FF6 in general was full of problems. The gameplay was terrible, there was no way to skip the cutscenes which were boring, the pacing was out of whack, there were bugs and exploits everywhere, half the time you had to do meaningless filler just to make a character better (getting the water rondo for Mog), and some characters didn't even see use (Gau was useless, Relm was useless, Strago was useless, everyone who wasn't being leveled up already was useless)

I hate to imply this, but this game is only loved due to nostalgia. From a more modern point of view, the game is complete cinematic trash.

TURTLE!

>mfw a kid references it in WoFF

>Only if you're a fucking illiterate moron. It isn't destroyed, it's just shitty.

Ehhh. He accomplished much more than any other FF villain. No plants could even grow there anymore aside from weeds and trees.

>But he is taken down at the end of the game, so he doesn't actually succeed at doing anything other than making the world a crappy place to live for a while.

True, but if Celes wouldn't have stopped being emo no one would have even stood up to him.

Those far worse things haven't been caused by someone. With only the person being stopped as the only fix.

>caring about how useful your characters are
>not just picking your favorites
no wonder you didn't have fun

Well hiding as a splinter into the heroes foot was... unique to say the least.

>only pick favorites
>have to go into a dungeon or area that requires multiple parties
>everyone is underleveled as all hell

I think you missed:

Shadow's past.
Murder of Terra's mother & subsequent mind-rape
Death of all the captured Espers
Murder of King Figaro (forcing Edgar to take the crown to let his brother free)
Cyan's "reunion" with his dead wife & child
Gau's rejection by his father
Death of Rachel
Setzer's flashbacks of Darill and her death

ITT nobody actually played the game???

Do they just keep the FF games together under one IP for marketing purposes? I do not know much about FF but I have noticed they have covered very broad territory.

>He accomplished much more than any other FF villain
Except he doesn't. Caius is the only FF villain who is legitimately successful at what he was trying to accomplish. Ultimecia was reasonably successful as well since she rules over the future and creates a time loop when she is killed. You can throw Yu Yevon in there too since he was around for a thousand years before the events in the game, and the FFX apocrypha suggests that Sin actually comes back even after Yuna defeats him. Hell, Sephiroth fucks the world up about as much as Kefka did if AC is considered canon.

Kefka isn't the most successful villain, or the best characterized, or even the most destructive. He's just a lolsorandum clown

Reminder Emperor is best. I kid. But he's up there.

But i played it recently (first FF ever for me) and i had lots of fun

I can only agree about Gau being useless. Relm's painting powers were similar to his but more versatile, since you could mimick an enemy on the go instead of forcing a single moveset per battle. Strago had Lore, that was more than good once unlocking attacks like Doom and Fusion. And that's not mentioning how the Espers allow you to shape whatever character into the kind of role you want

And about the underleveled bit that rarely happened to me, you must be doing something wrong

I had the same thought about Cloud when I first played VII.

Good thing it turned out that Mukki was just washing Cloud's back, r-right?

Great post

Ganon never wanted to destroy Hyrule just rule it

Not that user, in my playthrough i apparently missed Shadow's past, Gau's daddy issues and when she died i couldn't even tell who Rachel was

The game's bigger than i expected

FF villains from what I've played.
Exdeath>Kuja>Sephiroth>Garland>Kefka>Xande>The Emperor>Zemus
Am I right?

>Those themes aren't new at all in a FF game. Hell, XIII had both of those

>Those themes aren't new in FF, they happened 7 games later

???

>Sephiroth fucks the world up about as much as Kefka did if AC is considered canon.
No he didn't It was Jenova. And he didn't do anything in ff7 till the very end. It was all Jenova. I wish that they focused more on her, gave he personality and more lines. Instead all credit goes to that fuck, many retards still think that it was he who killed Aerith

>because she's female

It wasn't because she's female, you sperg. It was because she was a traitor to the empire. It's also implied at one point that she was raped as well.

"Ruling it" is exactly what Kefka is doing at the end of FF6. He didn't destroy shit anymore than this chucklefuck from ToP did

>since you could mimick an enemy on the go instead of forcing a single moveset per battle.
And that's completely useless thanks to the esper system, which lets you turn her into another flare spamming mage. Same with Strago, who had completely useless lore unless you grinded to find enemies that had good attacks, and even then you had to wait for them to use it, or goad them into using it, hoping the RNG of their poorly coded AI wouldn't screw you over. And need I mention that the only really good lore he gets, Grand Train, requires you going through RNG: the dungeon to fight a boss who may or may not use the attack before you kill him.

The espers should've been severely restricted, maybe as stat boosters only, not letting everyone llearn the exact same moves. It just made them all bland and nullified any special abilities they had because they were inferior to just spamming magicite crap. If you say that you actually used Blitz or Edgar's tools or Cyan's bushido in the endgame, when they could just spam magic everywhere, then I'm afraid your pants are on fire.

>le sephiroth clones are jenova meme
no one cares about your headcanon faggot. go away

You're a generic buzzword memer there's your problem

HRRHH THIS IS CRINGE EDGE FANFICTION IT DOES NOT EVEN DAB

Delita best FF character

World of Ruin has a lot of choose you own path to it in regards to how the story unfolds..

I'd put the emperor and kefka above garland and xande

Vayne is the only good mainline villain, because he was right.

Garland was fucking great though.

What are talking about? Have you played the game? It was jenova in form of sephiroth who killed aerith. It was jenova who infected lifestream and caused geostigma in AC.

Kefka is a good foil to the entire cast, and even though his personality and backstory are shallow he makes it up by having enjoyable dialogue and being one of the most engaged villains in the series.

Up until that point in the series' history, and even now to some extent, the villains usually wait around to fight you at the endgame and show up once or twice to show how untouchable they are. Kefka isn't the evil overlord or badass with a personal vendetta, he's the goofy sidekick villain who harasses you throughout the entire game and gets his shit kicked in more than once, an he actually succeeds.

He's also one of the first JRPG villains I can think of who actually wins and changes the entire game world thanks to his actions. There's other ones who do that, Exdeath created the merged world in FFV and you have shit like Ganon's corrupted Sacred Realm in ALttP, but neither of those have the scope and impact that the World of Ruin had.

Execution and context mean a lot. It's why Exdeath is also a fantastic antagonist despite being a Saturday morning cartoon character.

Of course i used Edgar's and Cyan's personal moves, why wouldn't i? They're efficient and don't consume MP. What if i specialized Edgar with fire attacks but then there's an enemy that absorbs fire? I just use the tools. Same for Cyan

And the characters don't have to be all the same, it's up to you. For example since it's a damn RPG after all i assigned to characters espers that "made sense" for their personality or simply fit the role i decided to assign to them. Locke had an emotional attachment to Phoenix, Terra could be reunited with her daddy etc.

Saying you can break the game logic if you try hard enough isn't really saying the game is shit, especially since most players definitely wouldn't get that savy on their first playthrough. Is Morrowind shit too, because of how OP magic can be?

It was Jenova influencing Sephiroth to follow her goals using clones of his body, who was well aware of what was going on around him.

>edgy edgy edgy fedora edgy edge

this website has warped your brain

i love engaged baddies, one of the reasons Superstar Saga was such a good game

>It was jenova in form of sephiroth who killed aerith
It was a clone that he created while in the northern crater. Fuck off with your stupid fan theories

do you actually know what you're talking about or did you just watch a few clips of things on youtube here and there or what

He causes the apocalypse successfully. He betrays the emperor and kills good guy Leo. He poisoned the entire city of Doma, except for Cyan. And he has hilarious and interesting dialogue, especially in the original translation.

Overall, he's a very entertaining, yet menacing and competent, villain.

What more could you possibly ask for?

>he actually succeeds
no, he doesn't

>actually wins
no, he doesn't. did you miss the part where the party kills him at the end and the world is slowly being rebuilt? play the game you fucking morons

>using clones of his body
>In the original Japanese script, the clones are known as Sephiroth Copies. "Clone" is a misnomer; subjects were infected with Jenova cells to reproduce a similar effect to that of Sephiroth—who eventually exerts control of the subjects as his puppets—rather than being genetic copies.

>If you actually used Blitz instead of spamming magic then you're retarded
Blitz actually worked based on the magic power stat, and Blitz powers could do everything from damage to healing without costing magic. Bum rush was a 9,999 attack pretty much right out of the gates.

Why was using Blitz a bad idea? Edgar's drill was also still good against single opponents and Bushido was kind of lackluster from the start. Not to mention the enemies with whatever magical resistances, or how the magic might have interfered with Runic, which was useful.

A reason to do what he did.

Okay then.
It was Jenova influencing Sephiroth to follow her goals using copies of his body, who was well aware of what was going on around him.

>Dude, just grind with espers and the game is easy! What were they thinking?

Some of us aren't casual faggots.

Yes, you can theoretically make everyone hyper OP, except Umaro, but it's much easier and equally effective to focus your efforts on teaching magic to your most competent mages. Terra, Celes, Relm, and arguably Mog, Strago, and Sabin need as much Esper time as they can get. Why bother teaching it to the others when they have much more effective physical setups?

They did originally have a very dark idea for FFVII its called Xenogears.

vice versa dipshit

>le "kefka achieved his goals" meme

[CRAWLING intensifies]

>Kefka
>angst
lolok

He hates the world, and is a nihilist.

He views all of human history as pointless, since everyone will ultimately die and be forgotten.

Whether or not you agree with him, or think he's "edgy", doesn't matter. That's his motivation.

Also, for the record, he's the result of a magitek research program that kind of fucked up his head. That's why he acts like this.

Reminder that Kefka's goal was to destroy everything and create a monument to non existence. He did not succeed in this, and thus he did not succeed in his goal. He most definitely did NOT win anything more than a battle. The war was lost.

Picture for ants.

he was literally mad with madness.
mad people don't need reason to do stuff.
Sometimes, it's just that simple

>those themes aren't new these later games in the series did it too!

are you actually retarded?

Legitimately successful FF villains
>Caius
>Possibly Yu Yevon

Unsuccessful FF villains
>everyone else

Glad we cleared this up.

He didn't achieve his end goal, but he did achieve the goal of seizing the power of the Warring Triad and causing an apocalypse after which he rules as a god. I'd say he did a fine job compared to most villains.

>Can someone please explain to me the appeal of this fedora edgy as fuck angsty teen fanfic tier excuse of a villain?
hes evil for its own sake. pure, unadulterated douchebag. the epitome and embodiment of self service.
>Jesus Christ FF6 sucked
get the fuck out. dont come back until youve grown up.

He started as weak as you. He grows alongside the player character and his party. In a genre overpopulated by Black Knights and already powerful Evil Emperors, he breaks the mold by being a weakling and a coward for most of the game until he achieves power.

That sounds like at least one character in every piece of japanese entertainment media ive ever seen

like devil may cry

how do people actually play/watch this stuff, to me its just infinite cringe

I actually liked Caius because he was like a better version of Kefka. XIII-2 may have been a shit game but Caius was a pretty good character.

>Possibly Yu Yevon
Yeah I mean for the 1000 years before you stop him he was doing exactly what he wanted, keeping the dream zanarkand alive and perpetuating sin through the final summoning.