In terms of video games 2016 was a disapoi-

>In terms of video games 2016 was a disapoi-

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nz8KJYpRh28
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In this thread we list things Dark Souls 2 did that were far better than Dark Souls 3. I'll start:

>Chugging Estus immobilizes you, and the heal isn't instantaneous meaning trying to chug while someone is sticking close to you will result in death

>Stamina regeneration is tied to weight, so a character at 10% burden will recover their bar faster than a character at 70% burden, giving an advantage and a reason to make a low burden character

>Poise exists and armor provides relevant, but not overpowering damage reduction, giving an advantage and a reason to make a high burden character

>Phantoms and Dark Spirits cannot chug estus, spirits can only heal via spell useage which is slow. This makes fighting outnumbered even without mob assistance possible since any damage you do sticks.

>Can only perform four rolls before running out of stamina

>Can only perform 5 attacks of a rapier or straight sword before running out of stamina

>Parrying has longer recovery frames and consumes more stamina, making parry fishing riskier and makes parrying require higher skill

>Power stance allowing for unique combinations of dual wielding and unlocking an alternative moveset for weapons

>Being able to use the full moveset of a weapon in your off-hand including running, rolling, backstepping, etc. attacks rather than just being able to do a basic R1 swing and blocking with the weapon as it is in Ds3 (lmao who would ever want to weapon block)

>Non-linear first half of the game allows you to rush straight to the areas of the game that contain the items for your build

>Fun PvP covenants that were unique

>Bell Tower covenant providing two unique optional areas to PvP for Titanite Chunks, Slabs, and Twinkling, making farming for upgrades fun

>Bonfire ascetics to replay bosses you like and or gain items from NG+ and beyond without grinding through the whole game again

fpbp

Picture unrelated I assume?

This

>Nothing

does no one on this board have an original thought in their little pea-brains?

Why can't you start a thread differently than everyone else

ntment

Literally this year's MGSV except waaay less relevant

Dark Souls 3 a shit, anyone who says it's good is new to the series

It's good, but disappointing after Bloodborne.

Not as bad as the disappointment of going from DaS1 to DaS2.

Horrible game that is only liked by fromdrones who would eat anything miyazaki shits?

This user gets it.

>Not as bad as the disappointment of going from DaS1 to DaS2.
Nothing will hurt my soul this much

I miss DaS2 poise. It was a functional system that made it so heavy armor wasn't overpowered, but it wasnt useless either since it still provided significant damage reduction. the hyperarmor system fucking worked from beginning of animation all the way through, not some arbitrary halfpoint like DaS3.

DaS3 is so cancerous

>Not as bad as the disappointment of going from DaS1 to DaS2.
you know what's even more disappointing? going from 2 to 3 expecting a return to form and instead finding out it's even worse, it just has higher production values. (because it certainly doesn't look prettier, everything is unmemorable as fuck and generic, not to mention sepiatone)

Incorrect. Nothing will look uglier than ds2, those awful models and shitty lazy repeated textures were the low point of the series aesthetically.

I haven't played any of the souls games but i'm getting alot of mixed opinions on this. Is this game better or worse than Dark souls 1/2? I knew a guy who was really into Dark Souls and he claims it was the best one in the series. Also should I finish Demon's Souls before starting Dark Souls?

Should I play Bloodborne or DS3 first?

all because it has lower production values, and has shittier textures and mapping, doesn't mean it doesnt have some genuinely pretty looking spots.

Play Bloodborne, skip 3

alternatively, play 3 first, then Bloodborne, otherwise you wont be able to get over how 3 tries so hard to rip Bloodborne off by making it into Blood Souls 3

Just play them in order faggot like everyone else.

Honestly, depends how you felt about 2. That game is polarized here (especially because people love to be contrarian) so if you liked 2 more than 1 than you're more likely to hate 3 because it plays more like 1. Some people dug the weapon viability and seemingly fairer pvp of 2 but others were let down by what was sold to them as a game that was supposed be more grand and better designed than 1.

My advice: play them all in order, starting with demon's souls.

it's okay because Hitman saved 2016 by being GOTY

Why was this area so inconsequential? Did they want to make it a real level but got bored?

Finally someone with a capable mind to think outside of the Sup Forums hivemind scheme. Bravo.

People hating DS2 are just the tards that got cucked with the SOTFS edition and they are still butthurt about it.

it's worse than both.

Dark Souls 2 is undeniably not as good as Dark Souls 1. But it isn't a bad game despite it's extremely troubled development. It has many unique improvements over 1, and some things that it does differently and arguably better.

Dark Souls 3, for every improvement over 2, takes 5 steps backwards, and for all of 2's faults, it was at least original, while 3 is way too derivative. It outright rehashes content from 1, 2, AND Bloodborne. And not just in the "Oh look, there's the poster armor from Dark Souls!" but in the "oh look, here's 10 different sets straight from Dark Souls 1, and oh look, there's an enemy designed like he comes from Bloodborne, and oh look, there's an NPC from Dark Souls 2, and oh look at this gimmick from Demon's Souls"

it is also painfully linear. It's basically a straight line with no exploration. Dark Souls 2 for it's faults, offered you quite a few choices from the start of the game. 3 barely even has branching paths. And whenever a path branches, the branch inevitably is a dead end, 2's branching paths were at least entirely different routes on their own. not just a slight diversion away from the beeline

>It's an user thinks he's a special snowflake for liking Ds2 when it's actually popular to do so here

Literally everytime i see a DS thread there is always hating on 2, don't deny it

>competent character creation

2016 was an okay year.

anyone bitching about this year forgot when people were dickriding shadow of mordor

probably just unrealized potential. It's clear they wanted to do more, but like most of DaS2, they didnt get to fully realize it, so it's just a short beginner area with 2 bosses.

>People hating DS2 are just the tards that got cucked with the SOTFS edition and they are still butthurt about it.

but that's wrong, the people who hate DaS2 are just contrarians who shitposted about Miyazaki not being involved, Scholar is generally considered better than the vanilla game.

>Fun PvP covenants
I never understood this. The lack of humanity made invading pointless to me, and rat covenant was an annoying gimmick nobody used.

Is the original version better than SOTFS? Seems like the later one would be better

Every time there is a darksouls thread there is always whining and crying about how nobody understands 2's "greatness." Don't deny it.

I meant people got to pay another version of the game so they started hating the whole about it.

scholar is arguably the best version, but the vanilla game has it's moments where it's better.

i'd argue both are worth a go. But if you have to pick one, go with scholar

Literally the only game I bought this year

I was just upset that the dlc was so good and the base game was so subpar. Why didn't they try that hard to make the game good before?

no, people hated DaS2 before scholar too.

>Only having 4 rolls
>Against Bloodborne tier bosses

Just kill me fampai. People need to realize that DaS is always a singleplayer experience with a for-fun multiplayer aspect tagged on, not the other way around. Things are balanced around singleplayer, and while I'm NOT saying that's perfect either, a lot of the "fixes" people propose for PvP would unbalance the PvE game.

Dark Souls PvP is supposed to be dumb and tacky. Muh honor and unfair invading are arbitrary concepts invented by the community.

they did though. the problem was they had to start over like twice, and went through a Director change. the DLC was made when they already knew the limitations of the game, and had time to actually expand it. Sunken Crown is basically cut concepts tied to areas in the game. it was supposed to be after Shrine of Amana.

iron Crown is basically a do-over of Iron keep, and Ivory Crown is the snow area they never got to do for the game. (shrine of winter is literally the only evidence left) they also got Naotoshi Zin to do level design, and it really shows, particularly with Shulva, which feels straight out of king's field

>le unfinished claim
>le disproving picture
ebin meme

>enjoying a literal "yes homo" game
youtube.com/watch?v=nz8KJYpRh28

>they did though.
Well they didn't do a good fucking job, even considering the problems in production. The DLC was fucking mint though

It's an RPG game that berates you for building anything but a build to play like another game

Demons was the only one worth anything.

I just wish that they had more throwbacks to 2, the amount they had for 1 but not anything else was overwhelming. Or else they could have done something entirely different like DaS2 and Bloodborne were.

Also the fashion wasn't very good in DaS3 either, not many of the armours meshed well with other sets.

Doom is the game that denies 2016 from being shit.

Even WoW Legion turned out better than DS3

Why can no one in these threads just admit that you're burnt the fuck out on the series? Dark souls 3 is a solid game. Just because you've played the previous and related installments to the point of madness, you can't admit that nothing would please you. Everything would either be ripped from the previous games and you would complain it was repetitive and trying to pander to X or you would bash it for trying something new that you felt was too far from the original. I played it and enjoyed it. High wall, undead settlement, cathedral of the deep, irithyll, smouldering lake, profaned capital, the archives, the catacombs ALL interesting locations. The only really shitty area was Faron keep, due to the slow and poison mechanic, but it was still interesting to explore the first time.

>Things are balanced around singleplayer

It would be one thing if DS3 was faster and thus gave you, say, eight rolls.

But DS3 is not infinitely faster to compensate for the infinite rolls it gives you.

You also act like criticizing the removal of stamina management in a series about stamina management is only referring to PvP. Some people enjoy having to think instead of iframing through everything.

As someone who has played legion since launch, legion is pretty fucking bad. The only reason I'm still subbed is because I have enough tokens to play the game for 2 years for free

Honestly, the entire dark souls concept is really tired at this point. They could have made anything and it still would have felt stale

>sentence cut short

IS THIS A NEW MEME

nigger

>love dark souls 1, one of my all time fav games
>liked dark souls 2 a lot too, even though i didnt like the atmosphere and hated the matchmaking system.
>there are 2 "sidequest" bosses in dark souls 1 dlc i havent killed yet
>I also havent completed dark souls 2 dlc which i own on ps3 AND pc
>because of this I cant bring myself to buy dark souls 3
>burnt out on dark souls 2 and dont feel like making a new character and doing content I already cleared in order to get to the dlc.
>knowing that the longer i wait the less awsome pvp matchmaking will get on ds3

>tfw you will never live in a world where Dark Souls 2 had time to be made finished

it really was.

>knowing that the longer i wait the less awsome pvp matchmaking will get on ds3

Good news, amigo. DaS3's pvp was shit since launch.

Titanforging was a mistake

I just want brawler's guild back

BTFO

DaS2 fanboys are literal retards who think they're special snowflakes.

>2016 was the worst year for role playi...

fuck everyone else, Das3 is the best in the series

I had a lot less fun with DS2's pvp

Better than both

Now to things that actually matter.
>i-frames being tied to stats

>awful deadzones

>enemies have a retarded amount of tracking

>soul memory

>world design makes no sense

>level design is trash, there's almost no verticality and there's bonfires everywhere

>enemies were just thrown around with no sense other than being frustrating to the player

>worst hitboxes in the series

>completely uninspired boss and enemy design

>looks like complete ass, the art design is plain bad

If you think Dark Souls 2 isn't the worst game in the series I have to assume you were dropped on your head as a child.

Can someone explain why DS2 faggots are so mad about DS3? Is it because they're pissed that their shit game was trashed on Sup Forums 24/7 and want to do the same for DS3?

>THIS GAME WILL FINALLY EXPLAIN THE LO

Even though I wasn't dumb enough to assume all would be explained in 3, I was still let down when they didn't even attempt to explain anything. They just added more lore and weird happenings instead of explaining the previous stuff.

I think that DaS3 would have gone over a lot better if it had been DaS2 and DaS2 either didn't exist or was it's own title. Direct sequels to Souls games were a mistake anyways.

>Scholar is generally considered better than the vanilla game.

I have seen footage of Scholar. It looks like the same ass game as the base game.

Nothing in the footage I have seen screams "BUY ME". It still has the fucked enemy placement (seriously, a basilisk and THE PURSUER IN THE TUTORIAL), it still has horrible enemy tacking, it still has the Adaptability and I Frame bullshit.

lel

>i-frames being tied to stats
Not really a bad design.

>awful deadzones
I agree on this one.

>enemies have a retarded amount of tracking
Nothing really wrong with this. In 1 you could basically backstab everything.

>soul memory
It was only implemented to prevent twinking. DaS3 has a much better system though.

>world design makes no sense
True but there was more variety in areas compared to the rest of the series.

>level design is trash, there's almost no verticality and there's bonfires everywhere
Agreed for the base game but the iron crown DLC has the best vertical level design in the series.

>enemies were just thrown around with no sense other than being frustrating to the player
Not really. If you approached most areas cautiously you wouldn't have a problem.

>worst hitboxes in the series
level adp

>completely uninspired boss and enemy design
Subjective.

>looks like complete ass, the art design is plain bad
Again subjective.

>Greatshields went from terrible to godlike.
>Greatweapons the new cancer because they're the only things in the game that let you trade with poise.
>You have to build entirely for bleed instead of having it as a basic tool to handle greatshields.
>Dark Sword's retarded scaling on launch.

DS3 fightclubs were comfy on launch but shit quickly grew out of control.
Its kind of funny that its when mages, one of the most complained about "classes" period, are the weakest that the cancer is the strongest.
At least Pyromancy is great for once, but sorceries are meh and holy shit I pity anyone trying to run a caster faith build.

The fashion mainly sucked because most armor made you look like a fat retard, I don't know what they were thinking

Not just titanforging, the loot system as a whole including legendaries is just so fucking bad

And mythic + is shit for a healer
>le +4 is harder than +9 depending on group or dungeon

What a fun experience, running maw 100 times sure is great

Dark souls 2 was built around pvp and as a result has probably the most fair pvp in the series, but in my opinion the rest of the game suffers for it

I feel like I'm in the minority in souls threads, but I primarily buy and play them for the single player content. Most of the time I see an invade as a game mechanic that I'd have to deal with while progressing through, which is fine. Other players can come in and use whatever they have to try and shit up my day, so pvp balance wasn't really much concern.

It was incredibly difficult to find motivation to keep going in vanilla DaS2 (never bought the dlc). Not only were the bosses terrible, none of the NPCs I talked to or items I picked up really piqued my interest. This felt pretty cold coming from Demon's Souls and DaS1, where characters like Rydeil, Patches, Urbain, Freke, etc. all either had stories or were found in places of interest. The world just felt too dead in 2, and I only managed to put 30 hours into it compared to the usual 120 to 200.