Have toaster that was considered a toaster in 2012

>have toaster that was considered a toaster in 2012
>struggles to play any modern games on medium at 60fps
>can EMULATE fucking Gamecube and Wii games at 1080p with AA and widescreen hack, manages to stay at 59-60fps consistently
Before you point out that they're "old games", consider that even the NES couldn't be emulated with full accuracy until the early-mid 2000s, and the Gamecube/Wii is many, many orders of magnitude more powerful than that.

How did Dolphin's programmers manage this?

Other urls found in this thread:

mesen.ca/TestResults.php
youtube.com/watch?v=KS7Fl30JZcA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's your CPU?

PPSSPP is even more impressive

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

It's not very good

Better than mine.

Athlon II X2 240 2.8ghz downclocked to 2.8

Geforce 6150se, 64MB.

I can barely run PPSSPP on this piece of trash.

What i7 specifically? For all we know that could be a 6th generation desktop model or a 1st gen laptop model.

In either case, Dolphin is CPU heavy, any good quad-core processor will equate to a superb Dolphin experience when coupled with any capable GPU.
Even your mobile-grade GeForce 650M is suitable for some HD graphics as it's not that intensive of a task.

My laptop has a core i7-2640m without a dedicated CPU. It's capable of emulating GC games and some Wii games if I fiddle with settings, but at 1x resolution.

Downclocked to 2.6ghz, woops.

110w power supply.

>PPSSPP is even more impressive
not even in the slightest. the PSP design documents were leaked, so the devs knew exactly what to do to make it 1:1.

nearly every other emulator is tasked with reverse engineering a very complicated machine. PPSSPP guys just "copied" from a piece of paper.

>How did Dolphin's programmers manage this?

From what I remember Dolphin ran like shit until some turboautist came along and fixed all their code

They should get that turboautist to do the same for modern video games

>Before you point out that they're "old games", consider that even the NES couldn't be emulated with full accuracy until the early-mid 2000s
You need a rather hefty PC to emulate the NES accurately. You need to stop trying to discuss things you know nothing about.
And yes, Dolphin is a great emu.

My mom had that same PC. IIRC we got it in 2004...
I think it's time to upgrade user.

I remember emulating a bunch of NES games around 2006 without any issues.

Bizhawk is up to 98.73% accuracy last time I checked.
There's a big difference between brute forcing the game to get it to run and an accurate emulation.

Not many issues != cycle accurate

Isn't puNES the most accurate NES emulator out there now?

>consider that even the NES couldn't be emulated with full accuracy until the early-mid 2000s
Indeed. I hope you're not suggesting Dolphin strives for extreme accuracy.
It's more like ZSNES. Accuracy takes a backseat to speed.
When someone makes a Gamecube/Wii emulator meant for accuracy above all else then you can make that comparison.

it's close.

Huh, well at least it's the most accurate NES-exclusive emulator. Anyways,

Congratulations, you're one of the few people in the world who have figured out that CPU gains in computers vs consoles are at an advantage, and that the Nintendo consoles in no way pushed the envelope. It's almost as if you're baiting or actually retarded, asking a question like this, but we all know better, right?

The usefulness of hardware accuracy tests as a measurement comes from their randomness. They test very specific things, so if an emulator just happens to do some things more correctly than others than it's a good sign of that emulator being more accurate. But when emudevs target the tests it kinda makes them useless, as they don't test everything, so you could make an emulator get 100% on tests without it being able to play every game.

... and all that being said, Mesen actually scores the highest.
mesen.ca/TestResults.php

I Am Error by Altice is a pretty good and esque technical book on the internals of the NES and how emulators like NESticle did what they could to work computer chips to pretend they were NES devices. Overall you want to get cycle-accurate emulation.

Various programming changes and a rework of their code.

youtube.com/watch?v=KS7Fl30JZcA

Most improvements came around 5.0, which utilizes a lot more CPU instructions that were not available in older chips, while still supporting your old toaster.

wait

not a fucking toaster, you nerd, that's a fucking professional laptop, especially considering you have a geforce chip instead of integrated graphics

it's most likely a laptop model

doki doki

Dolphin is to GCN/Wii as NESticle and ZSNES are to the NES and SNES. Accuracy takes a back seat to speed.

>64 emulation will never be good enough

>How did Dolphin's programmers manage this?
They built on gamecubes work since wii is pretty much an upgraded gamecube