Is Final Fantasy VII the greatest video game?

Is Final Fantasy VII the greatest video game?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a3LkKviuGKU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yes

That's not Super Mario 64

>protagonist is a literal terrorist who kills hundreds of people by blowing up nuclear reactors
>still manages to have less forced edginess than its spinoffs
where did it all go so wrong bros?

I liked the original team, too bad they die so quickly.

It's one of the greatest in the past few decades in terms of impact on the industry. It's very much a case of the right game at the right time; the PSX was beginning to really take off in '97 thanks to smaller high quality titles like Crash, Tomb Raider and Resi, and a big "epic adventure" title like VII was the key needed to really strap the rocket onto its ass. It did a hell of a fucking job of that, and the rest is history.

It's up there. Second best Final Fantasy after IX. Victim of it's own popularity.

Should I finish it? I never made it past the giant snake because it's a cheese to fight him. I think I was finished with the Midgar episode but I can be wrongful. I don't know what happens next

>I never made it past the giant snake because it's a cheese to fight him.
You were supposed to avoid it by riding a Chocobo

Really?

It's up there although I don't think you can ever single out one game as the true GOAT. Pretty amazing time for vidya when it was released.

Or if you time it right you can just run across the swamp although learning to catch chocobos is worth it for later in the game.

Yup. I thought the game hinted at it, but I might be remembering wrong.
You're supposed to go to the Chocobo Ranch, get some Ghyshal Greens, and then go catch a chocobo. They spawn in combat if you run around on the talon markings on the world map nearby, throw a Green at one to distract it and then kill the monsters. If you attack while it's not distracted, there's a good chance it'll run away.
It's kind of annoying, but not particularly difficult.

You're not supposed to fight it. You're supposed to get a chocobo to avoid it.

Does FF 7 looks good on the PSP? I don't have a crt so I know it'll look like shit on a lcd monitor

Great game, will always be a classic. I don't think there is a 'greatest video game' though.

>Midgar episode
>episode

The god damn game tells you that there is a giant snake in the marsh and you cant kill it and its safer to ride a chocobo across.

How fucking dense are you? Dont play it, dont ever play this game, I bet you wouldnt even be able to get past the CPR bit.

The plot makes no sense and relies on a missable flash back to put it all together. Cloud is reprehensible in his beta male behavior. Combat is, select 4x, win.

I seriously couldn't get through this again without a gun to my head.

Some of the mechanics are bullshit in that game, though.
>That fucking TV rating shit during the disguise sequence in Junon
Fuck that nonsense. At least getting the Force Edge is pretty easy in comparison.

It looks like the PS1 version with some upscaling.

Maybe he's talking about the up and coming episode one.

>The plot makes no sense

>That fucking TV rating shit during the disguise sequence in Junon
Didn't you only get some elixir or something for "winning" that?

Whatever it was I seem to remember it wasn't remotely worth the hassle.

Then it's simply not for you. Move on user, go play Dark Souls or something else shit.

The plot is pretty easy to understand. You're just a retard.

Speaking of Junon

5k gil is the best prize, but the Rufus pose thing has way better prizes and is a lot easier.

Crisis Core is an otherwise fun game absolutely destroyed by the presence of Genesis.

I hate Genesis more than any other character in video games.

Oh come on, user. Don't tell me you don't like to listen to him reading Loveless?

>tfw I actually grind enough to actually kill it
>When it gets close to dying it runs away
>Even if you do kill it, a new one respawns

I remember going back to fight it after getting the Tiny Bronco because I wanted to get the most out of Enemy Skill. The guy is a total bitch by that point in the game. I'm pretty sure you could even Manipulate it.

I did the exact same thing, saved all limit breaks, levelled up like crazy. I wanted to just beat it instead of running past it.

I finally found out that Mindblow drains it's MP so you don't die on Beta too, that shit was a lifesaver and probably one of the only reasons I won the fight. Then you finally get across the marsh and see the dead Zolom and your party are all shocked at it. I thought "Yeah, so what.. I did that too"

>a missable flash back to put it all together
you mean the one with zach?
you dont need it to understand whats happening they pretty much shove the explanation in your face

No it wasnt. It was shit all around and no amount of revisionism is going to change that, same goes to all the 13 fags who shitpost harder than ever lately

SEND THAT GUY A BOMB OR SOMETHING

>Received 6 Grenades

It wasn't helped by the fact that Loveless was utter horse shit and he still insisted on spouting it every time he got a second of screen time.
>THE GIFT OF THE GODDESS

>tfw I have to watch Jessie die again in HD

Not if you don't get the remake.
It'll be as bad as XV, don't do it.

I must because I love the game. Just like I bought sonic 06 again after throwing it out twice. Nostalgia sucks.

>implying you cried because Aeris died
>not because this music started playing
youtube.com/watch?v=a3LkKviuGKU

you are the cancer killing the industry

To be fair, I can see the FF7 Remake selling more than FFXV

I was spoiled well in advance, so it didn't hit very hard.
That track is manipulative as fuck, though.

Providing they don't freak out and remove Nomura from the project it should be fine, the change in director is probably what caused a lot of XV's issues.

>after all these years, it's finally safe to love FF7 on Sup Forums again

>not putting everybody in the back row, giving them sadness and having the person you want to learn beta equipped with elemental-fire in armor to absorb the damage then casting bio on him until it lands to guarantee he will die as long as you keep yourself healed
Fucken casul.

>needs to use beta to get through the game
>calling others casual

The story and characters weren't XV's sole problems though. I'd rather the remake have fucking Type-0's combat than XV's, if only because the counter/dodge mechanic was better implmented and you could actually switch between party members.

Man, the Materia system was so fucking good.

>implying i ever used it and didn't just get it early for style points

>Man, the Materia system was so fucking good.
What exactly WAS Materia? Advent Children having them sucked up into your arms was fucking weird.

Magic minerals made of dead people

That's actualy good advice. Thanks!

What? It's explained very clearly in the game during the Kalm flashback.
It's just naturally occuring crystalised mako energy.
>Advent Children having them sucked up into your arms was fucking weird.
Yep, that was one of the many stupid things in that movie. The whole point was that weapons and armor had slots in them to put materia in, you don't just suck it into your body.

I could see them doing better first-week sales than XV. The first part will probably sell gangbusters, and I could see them doing some kind of season pass deal for the remaining parts that has a discounted price/exclusive content to maximise profits.

Sales in Japan will be very interesting. XV is both the best selling PS4 title and the worst selling FF title since III over there, largely due to the dying console market. VII holds a lot of nostalgia value, but whether that will be enough to overcome flagging interest in console gaming over there remains to be seen. They marketed the hell out of XV over there and it still underperformed.

Materia are VII's crystals. They're what happens when the Lifestream crystallises over time, and since every living thing is made of Lifestream, they kind of work like biological weapons when used by humans.

it's literally a meme game, taylor made for plebby redditers

Well they're supposed to be balls of condensed spirit goo that you socketed onto weapons and bracelets. I'd just chalk the absorption thing to the villains being soul-sucking Jenova infused Sephiroth copies.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Not that I feel Advent Children can or should be defended, but I thought the reason that sephiroth clone absorbed the materia was because he's just an artificial fragment of sephiroth/jenova.

I don't know why, but because of nostalgia I can see myself purchasing it day-one regardless of how it turns out.

>taylor
o i am laffin

They've only got one person working on it? Wowww.

They're banking on that happening several hundred to a million times over. It probably will, VII is by far the most famous FF title and a lot of the people who played it back in the day probably now own PS4s, but also have day jobs. Splitting it into parts benefits both those consumers and SE; the consumers who want to play will be able to play it in smaller chunks and have breathing room between them, whilst SE get more dev time and presumably more return on investment.

If the remake is good I will probably buy a PS4 just to play it.

If there were such a thing, it'd be top contender.

Happy you enjoyed it OP, you wouldn't believe the way the internet was when the game came out. I'm pretty sure half of the information super highway was devoted to this game alone in geocities sites.

Glad you liked it but people who 66443355 shitty pictures into the template like that are cancer

It won't be. Square hasn't made good games since the 90's.

It's very odd feeling nostalgic over fan art like this from the early '00s. Kinda like seeing those South Park wrestler things again.

The truth:
Long ago magic was real, this magic was used by the 'ancients'. When the ancients died off their knowledge of the magic went inside their life essence/souls/lifestream. The planet uses this lifestream to regenerate itself, and all life on it. In some areas, this lifestream crystalizes and forms crystals, these crystals are referred to as mako crystals, they are later refined into materia. Different color crystals usually contain different souls, with different knowledge of the ancients. Once mako was discovered by shinra power company it was exploited, and they quickly drilled into the planet and began using it for everything, replacing gasoline and nuclear energy with mako energy. They weaponized materia and used it to fight wars, specifically against the wu-tai and other factions. Once the war was over, when soldiers died, or when they moved. The materia was scattered across the globe.

It's so strange how all they had to do was put a gloss of paint over the original game to make easy money. Yet they went and totally destroyed it by using Action-oriented combat.

But the worst part was that it wasn't horseshit. Genesis was completely right and the Goddess rewarded him. Sort of. Minerva is one of the more stupid things in the Compilation. VII needed a Goddess? More importantly did Minerva just like Sephiroth fucking her in the ass? Why didn't she try to stop him during VII? She's the will of the Planet. It doesn't make any sense.

Crisis Core is by a large margin the worst entry in the Compilation. Even without looking at the gameplay.

>Square hasn't made good games since its merger with Enix
ftfy

>Splitting it into parts benefits both those consumers and SE
It only benefits SE. Not the fucking consumer. How the fuck does paying for something multiple times conpared to once benefit the consumer??

whats the absolute best way to play it?
i heard the steam version is fucked up with the sound or some shit

WHEN WILL FAGGOTS LEARN

SQUARE ENIX KILLED FINAL FANTASY

FF VII REMAKE IS ANOTHER DEATH YOU WILL WITNESS

STOP GIVING ENIX SHIT ANY ATTENTION

also; 6>9>7>8

the old pc version had a shit version of music
the psx version was patched in
the steam version is probably the best to play it if you are gonna play on an hd tv/monitor

Nice try, but the correct answer is:

9>7>6>10>15>12>13>8

VII has some really bad pacing issues and is braindead easy, but it's a pretty good game. Wouldn't even come close to saying it's the greatest

The real problem is the franchise they made out of it that totally ruined all of the characterization in the original game, one of the reasons I have little hope for the remake is because I KNOW they're going to have Cloud and Sephiroth both be monotone pieces of boring shit

Nice try but 9 sucks dicks

Still wrong, the best game in the series is obiously 8, also check my 7

8 confirmed best game in the series

well there it is

its a shame hit has a shit leveling system

>Kingdom Hearts 2
>World of FF

>Nice try but I suck dicks

ftfy

me and my friend decided to make a challenge to beat emerald weapon the first time we see him, which is on like disc 2.

so basically it took a week or 2 or trying, drugged out most of the time on crazy shit, but i beat the fag.

I CAN LIVE WITH IT

at least 6,7,8,9 in what order you ever want but everything after X is just enix shit tier.

X is Enix shit, too.

as far as i know was X-2 the first game in cooperation with enix.

Wut ?

You can only fight the damn weapons on disc 3

Probably yes.

x-2 was the downfall.

I never beat it,I don't know if I should play it or wait for the remake.

Yet FF12 made up for it. Also, I can't wait for the Remaster next year.

>can't wait for the Remaster
nice bait.

has aged surprisingly well....... sure

Not even bait, say what you want it's still one of my faves in the series.

>single player running simulator mmo that literally plays itself

>one of my faves
you have a shit taste but go on, burn your money for a shit company that deservs actual a painfull death