How's YOUR GAME doing?

How's YOUR GAME doing?

Game dev thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

nacidev.tumblr.com/post/154222170690/how-to-100-definitely-release-a-game-someday
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do game devs get discouraged since everyone here hates independent game devs.

Or is Sup Forums's opinion irrelevant?

AL long as it isn't pixel shit I won't throw it away instantly, but that's me not all Sup Forums users

It's more that making anything more complex Checkers is hard and time consuming

I havent started yet because I cant draw sprites

Well, I made this today.

nacidev.tumblr.com/post/154222170690/how-to-100-definitely-release-a-game-someday

t-time w-well spent..............

Platform collisions can go fuck themselves. Slopes doubly so.

>not able to solve the most solved problem in gamedev

Most people in these threads are pretty encouraging as long as the creator isn't a faggot and is able to take criticism.

people on Sup Forums don't have the emotional skills to take criticism else they wouldnt be on 4ch

Getting started, made a draft on everything I want the game to be.

Now all I have to do is get better at drawing and learn how to create music.

If I fail at self teaching myself then I might sign up for some community college classes based around them. The classes are pretty cheap.

slowly
doing polishing work to get the weapon feel as good as possible since it's the core of the whole game, here is added hitstop to the boomerang
i am aware of the clarity issues on the webm, dogs were recolored since
really need to start cracking down on the content as well

I envy programmers who can also do art and designs.

That looks fantastic user.

thanks

Can't decide on what I want to make long enough to do more than the basic setup for a game. I have no interest in working on something that I wouldn't want to play myself is part of the problem.

So I'm just learning Blender and making random furniture and structures in it to get my Terraria/building type fix. Figure I can easily import them into Unity if I ever finally decide on something fun.

Animating intro things still. Trying to keep the framerate from being too high.

The broken window triggers me for some reason.

Just Loomis the shit out of it and get a cheap used drawing table.

>Or is Sup Forums's opinion irrelevant?
it's only irrelevant when I disagree with it.

I just finished up the party following the player along with all the redundant fail-safe stuff to make sure they don't block your way or lag behind too much.

Forgot pic. Nothing special since it's just base objects, but can be rather satisfying making shit still. Figure as long as I stick to a theme for what I make I can use it in a level.

maybe the lines could be a bit better
anyway i need to go now for a longer while so if anyone has any questions, i'll answer tomorrow if the thread is still up
your input is appreciated

>tomorrow if the thread is still up
This ain't aggydaggy

i know, but some of these threads can live for a good time till the bump limit

What's wrong with pixel art? Are you referring to the """retro""""' look?

Good mechanic. Well polished. Is it going to be used to collect items/solve puzzles too?

Also got doors in and working.

indie love bump

this

Does your game have much of a story? How seriously are you taking it?

made a shitton of progress in the past two days

trying to think of a story right now

Aspiring game dev here. Anyone know what the pros and cons of using Unreal vs Unity are?

Didn't you release a demo of this a while back?

THAT'S NOT TRUE, YOU DUMB NIGGER

LITERALLY FUCK YOURSELF TO DEATH

Getting the movement mechanics tweaked and tightened currently. As said collisions can be a bitch and slopes are pretty much always a hassle. Having to use boxes since my art level is -10 (background is mine though, fight me)

Released a demo a year ago and then an updated one a month ago. Working on the full release nowadays.

>Slops
Rays, user. Rays.

Pretty well

Classic

>tfw no ideas for fun gameplay

Depends on the game, really. There are many type of "fun" gameplay.
Why.

Working on this minimap for a VR RTS. I'm trying to make it as close to google maps as possible. Thoughts?

That's... really nice.
Telling what's high and low ground is a bit awkward.

Can you elaborate? I'm still fairly new to this. I have a handle on a lot of the basics but I'm fairly sure I already have quite a bit of hacky code that would make a seasoned professional cringe but it works perfectly for me and i'll continue to use it until there's a problem.

Because /vr/ is love, /vr/ is life.

Unrelated, do you use a workstation GPU or a regular one for VR development?

Rays scanning for surfaces out from the feet/leg/whatever touches the ground.
Keep them horizontal relative to a flat surface.
If they hit ground, this means they need to update to a sloped movement/still animation.

Why isnt anyone using godot? Is it really that shit ? Ive been trying to learn it please tell me i havent wasted my time

here's a gif from a few days ago.

You can look around and inside.

What are games you really like? Rip them off completely.

I use a 970, since that's VR min spec. Gotta keep dat 90fps no matter what or people will get sick. I make sure the game runs at 90fps in the unity editor, so its for sure 100+ fps in the final build in all situations. The indie studio I work at takes framerate VERY seriously

Tell me, how is Godot's 3D currently?

I hope this is as awful as I want it to be.

Makes sense. Is it really that big a deal to dip under 90? I've never gotten into VR, I could only afford a 1050ti myself

Ah thanks, that makes sense. Would it need to know the angle of the slope for that to work? it would be nice to have destructible environments and you could walk on rubble but obviously that would create so many random angles.

This. I have been trying to git gud, so far I am failing at even basic smooth movement.

Alright, that's actually really nice, then. Would probably be better used if it were a 3D visual rising up from a futuristic table you gotta construct.

Depends how much work you want to do, really.
If you keep your angles consistent in terms of what can be walked on, it's simply make a single set of uphill walking/downhill walking animations and apply them relative to slope angle.
Like in old Banjo Kazooie games, they could get around making "rounded" slopes by simply trimming corners a few times and increasing their ray count.

Yes, you get people sick. I'm betting it wont stop shitty AAA devs tho.

You reach into one point with both controllers, hold the grip buttons, then pull apart, and the map opens however you pulled apart (opening a window). I'm going to do some simple vertex shader to make it wobble and the map raise up a bit.

The cool part about the map is it is entirely procedural. It's not some model an artist made. Even the texture is procedural.

better if game map is organically themed and interconnected, and not dungeon 1 -- dungeon 2 -- overworld -- castle

Still getting basic stuff together and generally figuring out how to do things, but I did manage to get an NPC working.

isn't this the reason we made /vg/

Oh geez. That's good to know, thanks. I'm only working in 2D stuff myself, working 100% alone has some major downsides, so I won't be messing about with 3D, much less VR, for some time.

I think its worth getting into 3D. You get too comfortable in 2D and dont want to learn more if you stick with it.

Doing this VR game forced me to learn a ton of math and a lot of the internals of Unity and how game engines work in general, trying to stay optimized. And aside from VR, framerate isn't that important for most 3D games. Staying above 60 isn't too hard, 90fps twice at 1080p is pretty tough tho.

Well 2D is more or less to learn the basic shit, it's not really for a dedicated project. I'm also learning modeling/animation, music and VO all at the same time. It's definitely a process.

Thanks user. I'll toy around with it and probably inadvertently end up doing it the most difficult and convoluted way possible but I have nothing better to do and no deadline or anything.

>60 isnt hard
Meanwhile in every single console game..

Anyone here making a game for something other than PC or mobile? Tell us about your game.

What I've found is that most developers are trash. Like, 99% of them.

60 isn't hard, but it's easy to be a shit dev who doesn't understand what they're doing.

>no ideas for gameplay
>no ideas for plot
>can't compose music
>can't draw

>excellent idea for gameplay
>no plot
>can compose music
>can't draw
>good programmer

You're pretty much the classic case of the programmer gamedev. Make a prototype. Find an artist if it shows potential. Have no plot or come up with one post facto.

>good programmer
prove it fag

Sounds good to me. Thank fuck the semester is almost over and I can focus on gamedev for a while.

Writing is my strong suit if you find an artist

>have gameplay
>eriting down plot
>have an artist
>have a musician
>dont trust my programers because they want to be told what to do but hate every idea

How much to hire one of you?

>Good ideas for gameplay
>Can easily think of plot
>Can compose music if I need
>Toddlers are better than me at art
>Okay programmer, still learning

Not sure if I need a plot for this game but it would be possible to include a story

I contract out for $45/h

I'm

And I don't even modeled his rocking chair yet!

Just an idea, no need to stew on it

Read Alexey Pajitnov's and Jonathan Blow's story for inspiration. Spoiler: Jonathan Blow had a lot of money saved up from his contract work, so he paid the artist of A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible upfront to replace his programmer art for Braid. Even if you aren't in Blow's position I think finding an artist once you having something that works is still the best approach if you can't produce good enough art assets yourself. There are also halfway like remixing prefab assets, which are miles better than buying using all stock assets and should work well enough for your prototype.

more specifically you'd be retrieving the angle of said slope and modify your x and y velocity to ascend it accordingly, which is done with pretty simple trigonometry.

velocity.y = sin(angleAsRad) * abs(velocity.x);
velocity.x = cos(angleAsRad) * abs(velocity.x) * direction;

I haven't started learning to program yet but I have one question:

Which language should I learn, C++ or C#? I want to make a 2D game initially but probably want to transition to 3D ultimately.

Just pick up Unity and learn some C#

Pic related.

Yeah I'm starting to feel like this is the best approach for me. The art is what has halted my progress every time.

>Artist friend says they'd like to make a VN sometime
>Drop out CompSci student aware of RenPy
>"Let's just fucking make that dream happen, bro!"
>The next few days are full of thinking up waifus, setting, and general plot
>I set up a project folder on a shared dropbox folder
>They're drawing out one of our girls and it looks great
>Suddenly all conversation dies about it
>Finally comes back with "Haha, I've been feeling so lazy, dude"

I can't do anything until you make the pictures, dammit.

I'm making a turn based JRPG

So far it's coming along pretty good, I'm satisfied with how the gameplay is turning out

I hope Sup Forums enjoys getting one-shotted at the slightest mistake

could I also port it to Linux if I did that?

Yes. Unity uses Mono for their C# compiler, which is is a cross platform .NET compiler. Works with Windows, OSX, Linux, and a bunch of game consoles.

This is why I don't work with my friends

More shota protags!

More voice acted indie games!

Sweet. I have heard C# is somewhat easier too. Any reason why I might learn C++ instead? Or down the road perhaps?

>Average idea for gameplay
>Very developed idea for plot
>Absolute zero musical talent
>Above average at art
>Below average at programming

It's a systems language. Unless you plan on writing your own game engine (serious waste of time if you want to be a game dev) or just want to do it for educational purposes, don't bother.

Start to practice draw (on paper). I'm a professional programmer and I used to think it really sucked that I couldn't do art until I realized how many hours I had put into programming as a hobby before I got any good at it.

You may have way more talent some things than at others but as long as you're a reasonably smart person with no disabilities physically preventing you from doing it, you can get "okay" to "decent" at any skill needed to create a video game.

^ this ^

If you find a friend who can actually commit to working their ass off (pretty much no one you meet on Sup Forums, highschool, or pre-grad college) then you hold onto them and never let go

Finals are over so I finally have time to start my doom clo-I mean indie FPS.