Why RTS genre died?

Why RTS genre died?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mPB7nxgVwzU&feature=youtu.be&t=2566
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

GOOK CLIC

genres come and go if you didnt start gaming in 6th gen you would know this

Because casuals have shorter attention span than average retard and can't control more than one character at a time. Also RTS giants like Blizz, Westwood or Relic went to shit.

It was one dimensional, face it.

relic has been a lot better ever since they have been bought out by sega

It didn't really change over the course of the years and people who played it lost interest and it's not interesting enough in this day and age for a whole new generation to learn it.

Simple as that. RTS will always be dead from now on for people.

RTS games started focusing too much on micro-management instead of actual tactics. This eventually morphed into mods for RTSes that focused exclusively on micro-management, which themselves became MOBAs. Modern major RTSes refuse to learn from this error.

I think RTS survived longer than advertised. It died off with SC2's stupid story and CoH2's stupid game design (at least in a very long initial period).

AoE2 is luckily alive and thriving. Best RTS ever (IMO). Not the best build on Steam, but the convenience and extra content is neat, and it helps people to reconnect with the veterans who are still playing the original on Voobly.

I think RTS survived longer than advertised. It died off with SC2's stupid story and blob-vs-blob combat, as well as CoH2's stupid game design and business model (at least in a very long initial period).

AoE2 is luckily alive and thriving. Best RTS ever (IMO). Not the best build on Steam, but the convenience and extra content is neat, and it helps people to reconnect with the casters and veterans who are still playing the original on Voobly.

I think RTS survived longer than advertised. It died off with SC2's stupid story and blob-vs-blob combat, as well as CoH2's stupid game design and business model (at least in a very long initial period).

AoE2 is luckily alive and thriving. Best RTS ever (IMO). Not the best build on Steam, but the convenience and extra content is neat, and it helps people to reconnect with the casters and veterans who are still playing the original on Voobly.

Nice triple post, faggot.

But I agree, in my opinion AoE2 is still fine and kicking because it struck that perfect balance that makes you feel like you are actually managing a town/city without being overwhelming in real time while also providing engaging combat mechanics not overly reliant on micromanagement.

Other, modern RTS tend to go to extremes, CoH2 basically ignores base building and is 100% tactics and SC2 is all about micro and speed. Yes these versions can be fun for competition but can (and do) get incredibly frustrating for your average player so they just stop playing.

To add to this, CoH2 and SC2 can be incredibly punishing. For example, in both of these games an undetected flank can cause game ending amounts of damage in less than 10 seconds. Yes, there are ways to deal with this by getting good, but the general population is not patient enough to git gud. So the genre stays incredibly niche.

the genre stay incredibly niche as soon as moba was invented and will stay that way or even worse unless some dumbfuck dump money into it.

because assfaggots

Because Tower Defense games happened.

don't ruin the circlejerk

i miss Romanov

a promotion yes, but does it come with a raise?

>coh2
>you plant mines and keep reserves
>starcraft 2
>you wall in and blow shit up with siege tanks.

LISTEN UP, OR DOES WANKING MAKE YOU DEAF?
does wanking make you deaf?

Bosstruppen
Bestruppen

DRIVER! FIRST GEAR!.......ja, ja, up and to the left

It's dead because it was unpopular and failed to break into the console market. Casuals can't deal with the micromanagement so it evolved into the cancer known as MOBA.

indeed.
>panzer4 destroys a Su76
>"I can see why they call it a little bitch"

>crash lands in the middle of fucking nowhere
>manages to find a tittybar

premier of the soviets, premier of my heart

Because they require you to follow rigid build orders and bullshit that doesn't fun.

outside of gookclick 2 that is not true
try again

Same shit for warcraft 3, dawn of war, c&c, what are you on about

APM and memorizing builds
They stopped being about strategy

They didn't die, they just stopped being a mainstream genre. There are still solid RTS games being made, most of them just don't happen to be AAA. Steam's front page is currently prominently displaying a game called Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun - a historical RTS which happens to currently be the 7th top selling game on Steam. It just happens to be made by Daedalic rather than a AAA developer.

I thought that was a Commandos-style game.

it is
user's retarded

Shadow Tactics is not in the same genre we are discussing. Yes, it is real time and you use strategy but we're talking about games where you build a base, that base makes dudes and you use those dudes to kill the other guys base in real time.

Why am I even replying to this

So, company of heroes is not an RTS now?

kids today are into mobas. and these kind of games are the RTS retarded cousin.

any casual would find a moba game better than sc, c&c or any rts game because "it's easier".

This, rts is shit because you have to go out of your way to learn or get stomped by tryhards who memorized some max APM build off some guys blog. Compare that to FPS games, they're still popular because you just play more to gradually acquire skill and there's nothing some nerd can read that will make him instantly better.

Replaced by X4 and autism simulators, since it provided the pleasures of controlling and managing a civilization/military without the constant hand-straining clicking

CoH2 has extremely limited base building but it's there and you know it.

aren't Games Workshop making a new Warhammer 40K RTS?

It's basically evolved into battle centric total war series (which lets face it, is pretty good) or into grand strategy stuff like the Paradox games hearts of iron, victoria, ect

I had hopes for a SubCom sequel, but looks like for not.

Yeah. It looks closer to DoW than DoW2.

They own 40k but don't develop video games based on it themselves. They just hand over the license to whomever

Also
>What is DoW 3

half the factions don't have basebuilding.

Company of Heroes wouldn't benefit from more basebuilding.

neither would dawn of war. But here we are.
I think DoW3 shows promise.

>playing original C&C
>tell a small group of grenade dudes to attack something
>they wait until they're within splash damage range before attacking
>they blow themselves up

wew

SC2 killed it with its episodic bullshit.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it.

its DoW1+
that's what people wanted right?

Episodic bullshit wasn't what killed it, incredibly shitty writing did, it's on par with Mass Effect in JUST FUCK UP MY SEQUEL SENPAI department.

That's what I wanted.

Pretty realistic of your average grunt desu

nah, the episodic bullshit made it so that blizzard HAD to include new units in the expansions, and now they have so many units, that they don't know what to do with. Look at the fucking tempest.

Pic related best RTS of the last 10 years

>pic unrelated
oh you.

The genre is really fucked then.

DAS IST NICHT MEIN KRIEG

>nicht mein krieg
>Russian t-72s and spetznaz crawling over germany like its 1945 again

Speaking of Age of Empires II, this image was just posted on the Age of Empires Facebook page. I don't recognize those elephants with the crossbows or the one on the left with a slightly different tapestry.

Khmer and Siam confirmed for new expansion?

You didn't bought Deserts of Kharak

That was gud game

too bad the multiplayer was meh and it died superfast
Campaign was superb

It doesn't' involve silly fantasy stuff so obviously Sup Forums will hate it

You're right though: its definitely more 'simulation' like than the classic RTS feel, but they're superb games.

comfiest game 2016
shame about that atmosphere deprivation device tho
;~;7

StarCraft and E-sports ASSFAGGOTS killed RTS. There's this idea now that you pick up point and click games with the end goal of being "competitive" rather than just playing them like games. If you want to be "competitive" you have to practice and master the game, and that means you only have time to play the most popular one which is Starcraft 2, because everyone else who used to play RTS has moved on to ASSFAGGOTS.

The fighting game scene has had its ups and downs but at least there's a lot of games that are popular and not just Street Fighter, and they aren't built around the mindset that everyone who plays them has the ultimate goal of playing in tournaments.

Blizzard themselves said that most people who brought starcraft didn't even touch the ladder. They are playing comfy games with their friends on the arcade.

So it really was their awful writing then.

more like
People like to play ftp games more than a game that costs 180$

>COH2 is bad
fuck off.

think its in that category because dlc

Now post the non-bait version

Enough! Where's that C&C Generals 2?!

IT'S DEAD LET IT LIVE

I'm still holding hope for DoW3 to be a good game

I don't see what's particularly bad about it.

People on this board seem to hate it as soon as it was announced for some reasons

The metagame is down to who can get through the established build order first. It is bad enough that Starcraft players will surrender if they misclick a single action. It is a solved game much like classic rules Chess.

you have dogshit taste in video games, face it.

t. nostalgia

so are all games

>Citizen Kane is only considered the greatest film of all time because 106 year olds have nostalgia googles on a hah ha

>Citizen Kane is only considered the greatest film of all time because 106 year olds have nostalgia googles on a hah hah

please don't compare video games to art

simplification
overcomplication
i'm a pleb, i like c&c as rts and don't give a fuck about anything else
well, and rise of nations which blows aoe out of the water so hard it invents a way to exist without water
any rts without bases can die in the fires of hades, just make an rtt if you're doing that RELIC

also speaking of relic the dawn of war games were great but fuck CoH and DoW2
it's a cut-rate men of war

I remember some shitposter said that the game would be a MOBA where you would be only controlling heroes on the day the trailer was released and everyone fell for the bait.

only, men of war is dogshit

funny 5 or 10 grenades are great for killing nod tanks. Because AI won't run over them, and keeps trying to fall back

Men of war is the COD of RTS/RTT

no, it's the sonic of RTS/RTT
fans keep injecting their autism everywhere.

I was going with men of war has been the same since the first one. Lets not for get Soldiers Heroes of World War II, and faces of war are just older MOW games

DoW III seems great for now - if you except Mario64 Angelos, and some problems with shadows and environnement (still largely correctible, and even then, gameplay > graphics).

The streamer in the last Eldar gameplay reveal was a shitter though, and the pop-ups didn't make that experience great.

Orks next week according to Relic Community Managers.

Still, the resource gathering mechanic in AOE is generally balls. No offense to the series but SC2 was in general point based resource gathering, it isn't like AOE or RON where all the resources are scattered, Sure you got Yellow Minerals in the sequel but it wasn't like there are resource nodes that only gave you Gas and others minerals.

The game looks terrible neither the graphics nor the gameplay looks good.
Its clear that they tried to shoot for both the Moba and the RTS crowd because marketing said that Mobas are in now and they tire to bait old Dow fans with the RTs and the base building stuff.
youtube.com/watch?v=mPB7nxgVwzU&feature=youtu.be&t=2566

This scene brings my argument more forth because it just shows how bad the line is drawn between a grim dark Dawn of war game and a League of legends game with funky looking abilities.
Also when you look longer you will see that most units are just standing there and beating it out in the middle of the field there are little to no tactics involve. The reason behind this is that the player need to have the time to focus on his Moba heroes to cast the abilities that is why there is no more complex cover or more units.

except for the gameplay and graphics both look terrible

its dow1 with worse graphics and gameplay
cant wait!

>moba
Going by that logic warcraft 3 is a moba and so is retribution.
>muh grimdark means everything is lathered with blackness
Yeah, because ultramarines, orkz and rainbow colored eldar scream grimdark
Grimdark is the tone of the setting, not the color palate.

oh man this is terrible

e-sports
chinks

RTS only has a limited crowd of people who enjoy it. So when you want to stay on the market you have to bring in more money in the next year by catering to a larger audience.
So companies shifted to games that are more accessible to a larger crowds.

I can get the graphics part, but are you judging the gameplay form a streamer who played the game for the first time and didn't have access to dark templars or photon cannons?