You see this? This is called Rogue. Does your game look or play anything like this? No...

You see this? This is called Rogue. Does your game look or play anything like this? No? Then it's not a fucking roguelike, is it?

Oh, it has "roguelike elements"? And what the fuck are those? AD&D inspired stats and items in a progressively harder turn-based dungeon delving quest with tile movement and randomized floor generaiton?

No?

Then use the correct fucking terminology: Randomized, procedurally generated, basic RPG elements, whatever. Just stop being a fucking hack dev and using "roguelike" for shit that isn't even remotely like mother fucking Rogue.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/2020043306/jupiter-hell-a-modern-turn-based-sci-fi-roguelike
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I agree, but Nethack is worst roguelike desu

ok?

I think you're getting a little too mad over nothing, OP.

>>>/rlg/

DCSS uber alles

I think with "roguelike" used to stand for "games that play like rogue", then came roguelike like which stands for games with procedural content and permadeath. But yeah it's a meme.

What about ADoM?

You can't stop the marketing buzzword.

Roguelike are basically used as new 'hardcore'.

Over nothing? I used to be all about roguelikes a few years ago and the community used to be small but very active and creative.

Now if you try to look up newly released roguelikes you'll get a million fucking games that have nothing to do with roguelikes before you find anything remotely resembling these games.

Yeah, it's either "roguelike" or "the dark souls of [insert genre]".

>It's like Rogue but...
STOP THIS SHIT INDIE GAME DEVS
YOU FUCKING SHITTERS

Roguelite.

Since when are graphics a genre element?

A word's meaning is changed and twisted over time as new people discover and use it. Get over it.

DCSS is a babby mode roguelike that keeps getting more casual with each installment.

I remember when frost damage could shatter every potion in your inventory, and fire could burn all your scrolls.

except that would mean that there no longer exists a word to describe what it used to mean, despite it still existing

so a new word should be used

>Does your game play anything like this?
Yes.

>He doesn't play PoschengbandR-PseudoellipsismpaposchengbandRemix
lmaoing at your ""grind""

The word has no meaning since people will endlessly argue what it means to be 'like Rogue'. The term really should be NotRogue, since no game will ever be 'like Rogue'.

That's why people used "roguelite", but you can leave it to Sup Forums to get butthurt by any and every word ever.

>tfw no roguelike-like-like-like-lite

>tfw no rogue Like Like

You see this? This is called Racing. Does your game look or play anything like this? No? Then it's not a fucking racing game, is it?

>Played ADOM since it came out
>still playing it
>Still haven't beat it

Wake me up inside

>Comparing a genre which is an existing term to describe a basic action to a term that exists purely as a reference to another game and thus implies that your game is similar to that other game, and had no meaning outside of this

Well it should play like that if I'm going to call it RacingLike, chucklefuck.

Crawl has been getting consistently harder to win, though.

that's a sweet tileset bruh, is it official?

Its the default tileset for the steam release

How is it?

Been playing Dungeonmans for a few weeks and looking for a new game like it to try. Is it similar? Says its got a Story to it so I'm curious.

Is there a difference between the free download of this and the steam version?

But that's called Speedway II, not Racing.

Oh shit, that's sweet, I might buy it.

Is published by the original devs, or will I be giving money to some random company who just bought the rights?

A bunch of minor improvements, like interpreting arrow keys as numpad, but nothing huge.

Theres a good reason I've been playing it since release. Its the best roguelike currently available.

Original devs

Implying Rogue MUST be a game's name and not a genre.

metroidvania says hello

Since First Person Shooters happened.

Where is the game called Metroidvania?

Sil best roguelike.

Welp, it's only 15 burger bucks. Only an hour's worth of sitting on my ass playing it at work now.

Finally someone with the same opinion as me.
DCSS is casualized for the modern day player and has very little to do with Rogue in my opinion. I wouldn't even call it a roguelike anymore because its been through streamline hell.

lol the only people who care about this are 40 year old turbo neckbeard D&D nerds.

Get over it.

FTL is a Roguelike

"Roguelikes" aren't even like rogue, the vast majority of them are Nethacklikes. Nethack is pure cancer and ruined the genre forever

>tfw I want to make a swat based roguelike with gun management

All I have to do is open visual studio

>I used to be all about roguelikes a few years ago and the community used to be small but very active and creative.

>a few years ago

You mean well over a decade ago, right?

Metroidvania is a compond word made up of metroid and castlevania.
I don't know if you didn't know/are really young, or if you were trying to make some point that went over my head.

Is One Way Heroics a roguelike?

Also, why the fuck isn't MC OWH updating?

OWH last updated a couple days ago, and MC hasn't updated since a week after it released.

I wanted to get into Nethack but the lack of a comfy control setup (playing with just using the mouse for example with contextual menus in the tileset mode etc) really made it hard to get into.

It's a portmanteau of 2 games. Metroid and Castlevania.

Not really. Like, up until 2012 I guess.

It might be inferior to UnNethack or Slash'Em/Slash'Em extended, but there is certainly a hundred worse roguelikes when you hit commercial.

>correct fucking terminology
Who are you to tell me what is correct and what isn't?

I ran out f wand charges with only 2 * left on the serpent hp bar, was forced to retreat, and then died to a unique gangbang. I can't bring myself to touch PCB ever since.

best

>Elona keeps all the gameplay depth of early Crawl/Adom, but has absolutely shit dungeon generation - no branches, no dungeon shops, only the occasional crappy tension room
>Crawl has god-tier vaults, but it loses more and more features with each passing month

>FTL is a Roguelike

What elements does FTL share with rogue? FTL is as much like rogue as an arcade game with procedural elements is

the term "roguelike" has been used as a term for games unlike rogue for a while now. It's basically collectively known as "procedural with permadeath" now. People don't even know what rogue is.

The graphics aren't the important bit. Even most of the grognards on /rlg/ play stone soup with tiles.

How do you call the monster hunter like game genre that Monster hunter generated?

there are several Monster Hunter wannabes, hunting game don't sound good, so they are all called "monster hunter" games.

ADoM is a must play for anyone interested in roguelikes. Good luck trying to beat it without a guide, but that's always the point anyway.

If you're too casual for ADoM, Tales of Maj'Eyal is the easier alternative.

procedurally generated != randomly generated

Both terms can be freely used to describe the same thing.

I miss carry weight. Now every character can carry 10000 consumable items for every possible scenario with zero penalty. A fucking 4 strength spriggan can carry hundreds of large rocks.

t. retard

Monster Hunter is just a 3D beat-em-up. I get what you're trying to say, but it's still part of that genre despite its overbearing focus on grinding and crafting.

There are games like Monster Hunter?

Unless you have your PC hooked up to an isotope particle emitter, all "random generation" is procedural generation.

>you are retard because you have a different opinion from mine

Carry weight impacted your inventory approximately never except for extreme edge cases. A Spriggan can carry a billion of large rocks, but it's not like it can use those anyway.

I miss itemdest though, even though it was a bad feature.

I just mean out of all the "Famous" roguelikes nethack is the worst. Really I'm just trying to dog it for being so cryptic and trial and error.

>you are retard because you can't grasp the difference between two similar but different terms
Fixed that for you.

Yes, that's the point. It is a word devised from combining the name of two games. Metroidvania is not the name of a game.

Carry weight and item destruction are both good features since they limit consumable use, and in the case of item destruction give you reasons to be careful about what monsters you fight. In Crawl every fight boils down to I kill it, I kill it with consumables, I don't kill it. In *bands for example, you don't want to fight some monsters because you have limited consumables and many monsters are capable of damaging your equipment or consumables.

There is no authoritative definition for what those terms are, so you're operating with nothing but your opinions here.

Toukiden, God Eater, and Soul Sacrifice are all I can think of.

God eater
Toukiden
Lord of arcana
Soul sacrifice
Freedom wars

and all the sequels of the mentioned games as well as all the monster hunter games themselves and possibly several Chinese knock offs.

It's right here you fucking retards. Yes this is official boxart and not something I spent an hour on.

>2012
Shut your fucking mouth and kill yourself. You don't get to bitch and moan about something like you're big shit with it when you're talking 2012.

Itemdest was trivial to avoid in a lot of cases by throwing away scrolls/potions. If you want to limit consumables, you can just... limit consumables?

I liked itemdest primarily because of flavour reasons.

That said, I find Crawl hard enough for my enjoyment. I'm not very smart, so an easy game is optimal for me. I tried harder RLs like Brogue and Sil, and they're too hard. Well, that and they don't have a 1/10th of what Crawl has.

>WAAAAAAHHHH A STRANGER ISN'T USING THE TECHNICALLY RIGHT TERM TO REFER TO THE GENRE OF A GAME

I've never understood why people always thrown hissy fits over this.Sure, maybe it's not technically correct, but you know what they mean, most people know what they mean, what harm is done?

Crawl is braindead easy these days, Sil is a good level of difficulty if you play as an elf, and Brogue is probably the hardest of those three but still doable with persistence.

>God Eater

I thought that was a turnbased RPG for all this time. Huh.

Are you for real?

Sil is the best roguelike, followed by ADOM, followed by Poschengband.

Prove me wrong.

I've had the most fun with doomrl myself

????

What the fuck are you even talking about?

I'm saying 2012 was around the time when shit started getting really confusing in the roguelike community and I stopped being as active in it as I used to, and now it's gone completely to shit, because of indie devs fucking over the genre by misusing the terminology.

Its pretty much the only MonHun clone that isn't garbage. Soul Sacrifice is alright, but honestly that game is only like Monster Hunter in that you fight big monsters.

>only my personal, very specific interpretation of the term is valid and correct

Damn man, just go to Roguebasin. I agree that they're just aping the term for marketing when the games have nothing in common but it's not that hard to find real roguelikes.

>Sil
Yeah I can see that
>ADOM
Uhh
>Poschengband
UHHH

His interpretation is the correct one though.

>Crawl is braindead easy these days
Crawl has been getting consistently harder. It's not an opinion, it's a fact. 0.20 is harder to win than 0.10 - the only change that reduced difficulty was removing itemdest (and even then, arguably), there's been a huge amount of difficulty increasing changes - added a lot of harder monsters, removed some weaksauce filler ones, removed CTele, removed spellhaste, removed rMut, shortened game (less XP and consumables), recently translocations were nerfed in Zot.

I won Brogue once and it's not really something I wish to repeat.

I wish Incursion was not dead, though. But it is.

Exactly, same thing with Musou games, they use the name of a specific game to define a genre.

If it doesn't play like a Musou game, then it isn't a fucking Musou game.

People just like to namedrop these things when describing their games for better marketing, and it's shit.

should stop having such shit taste in videogames and stop worrying about it all together, nobody knows what the fuck rogue is nerd.

>I wish Incursion was not dead, though. But it is.

Don't remind me,user...

Speaking of which:

kickstarter.com/projects/2020043306/jupiter-hell-a-modern-turn-based-sci-fi-roguelike

You all better back this shit.

>backing a roguelike

literally the definitely of funding a forever incomplete game

What can I say? I'm a glutton for punishment.

He'll get nothing out of me until he finishes DoomRL.

I doubt he'll be finishing DoomRL any time soon with the Zenimax takedowns.