So, I just started playing this for the first time the other day, and I gotta say, I quite like it...

So, I just started playing this for the first time the other day, and I gotta say, I quite like it. I'm getting wrecked hard as I get used to the game, but it's fun overall.

I don't quite see the "this game is difficult ZOMG" stuff everyone talks about though, but rather, this to me feels more like the difficulty you'd have in games back in the SNES and before. Which is really refreshing to see. It's nice to finally have a game in a long time that punishes you for mistakes with death, and forces you to learn the level design and such through trial and error.

I really do wish more games today would do this.

I guess many people are taken aback by it simply cause they weren't around to play the SNES games back when this was more common.

Anyway, one thing I gotta note, is it just me, or does the game have some serious Metroid/Castlevania vibes going for it? In terms of level design and mechanics and such, it very much feels like what Castlevania should have been if it'd had gone 3D properly.

Oh yeah, also, Bloodborne thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LRqjsuoIKh8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh yeah, I wanted to say, for all the talk people have of games like Guacamelee and Shantae, and etc.... being "Metroidvanias" yet very much missing the mark on what makes those games what they are, Bloodborne, to me at least feels much more like Super Metroid and Castlevania, than any of the other "Metroidvanias" do.

Also, I should note I've never played any of the other Souls games yet. BB is my first as that's how it was recommended to me.

>I don't quite see the "this game is difficult ZOMG" stuff everyone talks about though, but rather, this to me feels more like the difficulty you'd have in games back in the SNES and before

Haven't you played a Souls game before?
It's also where the "Prepare to Die" shit comes from

But yeah, it's pretty good. I got a PS4+Bloodborne last week.

Nah, BB is my first Souls game. That's why I said that at least for now. Not too sure about the others as I haven't played them. But BB certainly feels fair and at about the same level of difficulty as classic games.

What is this now? Nintendo turf? We can have like 30 Zelda and Switch threads a day, but we have one Bloodborne thread an you get triggered?

Not everyone played this or got this when it came out. Some of us JUST now bought a PS4.

Nobody in /bbg/ actually wants to discuss shit beyond circlejerking and organizibg fcs. It's really discouraging place for a new player that's excited about the game and wants to discuss it.

the main game isnt that hard, but there are some pretty hard bosses in the dlc and the deeper chalice dungeons

Enjoy, it became my favorite but a lot of that probably has to do with the faster and more aggressive combat and after 3 games with basically the same artstyle the new settings feels really fresh.

Just a shame most threads about BB either start or devolve into mindless shitposting and falseflagging by people who never even cared about the game

Pump health.

Glad you're having fun.

Yes, the level designs in these games are a large part of the draw for me too.

Wish the multiplayer, like, existed out of /bbg/ bro-ups and Nightmare of Mensis PvP.

Bloodborne is the best game in this fucking generation his only flaw is to be ps4 exclusive

Thats why there is a /bbg/. For new and ongoing discussion on a game that is over a year old. Getting defensive and crying about Nintendo is funny and expected from Sonyggers.

but /vg/ is full of cancer and attention whores.

>We can have like 30 Zelda and Switch threads a day
I'm all for that stopping as most of them are made by shitposters just looking to talk poorly about Zelda and the Switch at any given opportunity.

Fucking
This

There are only so many threads because anytime Nintendo does a thing, anti-Nintendo fags can't stop posting their forced meme threads

but user that is true of any big thing that happens in vidya.
Sup Forums just shitposts endlessly about it

>Xbone not selling well
>DOOMED! NSA BOX HOW WILL M$ EVER RECOVER?!
>Vita not selling or PS4 getting beat for a month
>SONY BTFO HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER!

Nintendo fans usually come up when they have a good event. Then they take over the whole board. I guess since their fans are older, predating PS, Xbox, and modern PC, they are more mature and are less confrontational.

Rarely see as many Sony doomed threads as Anti-Nintendo ones. And do any of us really care how MS is doing? Would we lose anything of value if they just focused primarily on PC?

Except I'm far from a Sonynigger seeing as I just bought a PS4 last month and have had a WiiU all gen, fuck off. The only people I've seen get massively defensive all year have been hard core Nintendo fans who like to attack other and play the victim when shit doesn't go their way.

As a Nintendo fan myself, it's honestly fucking disgusting to even have to associate myself you literal children.

There are two kinds of fans, Nintendo fans, and NeoNintendo fans. NeoNintendo fans are overly defensive of Nintendo and everything with their brand on it, and are insufferable. They jumped in at around the Wii era. Longtime Nintendo fans tend to be very critical of everything Nintendo does nowdays as we remember the days when they didn't fucking suck dick. Half of the shitposting in Nintendo threads these days (especially XCX and Switch) is from other Nintendo fans who are pissed. Not from console-warring faggots. You'll often see people post timestamps with a WiiU and a copy of XCX when posting criticism, cause otherwise you get banned.

Also, can we please talk about BB and Metroidvanias?

Hell, I'd even be down to talk about Symphony of the Night and Super Metroid. There are at least a dozen other threads up right now were Nintendo fans can go defend the company name. This is not one of them.

>Metroidvania
My secret fetish is buying game mechanics.

Like the bestiary and such in Symphony of the Moon, or the soapstone, item box and such in Dark Souls.

Have you played the souls games? It sounds like you haven't.
Do it.

Would Muramasa and Odin Sphere count as Metroidvanias?

I'd say they're much more fitting than say Shantae.

They all counts, who gives a shit. Shill me on Muramomma and Odin Ball, Shantae was annoying.

>"the dark souls of fantasy RPG"

God dammit.

Haven't played any of the Souls games. I have DS II and III on my PS4 as well, but without a PS3 or PC I don't have access to DS1 or Demon Souls.

Also, I was told to play Bloodborne first as the game would "teach me" how to properly play the souls games. Something about new Souls players relying on the shield to much making the exp boring for them. So that's what I'm doing playing BB first, and then moving onto the others.

I'll need to buy a PS3 eventually though, for DS1 and DeS.

>Dark souls of persona games
Every fucking time.

I wouldn't say they count, no. The level design isn't intricate enough in either one, and exploration isn't a focus.

Both are great games, give them a go if you like 2D action RPGs. The combat is fun, and the art is nice, but they can get a bit repetitive. Especially Odin Sphere. If you haven't played Dragon's Crown, play that instead, it's the Vanillaware magnum opus imo. And if you like that and crave more, then you have the other two, plus, they also have 13 Sentinel coming out soon.

I'd say the games are more like 2D Bayonetta/DMC than anything else really.

The gameplay in BB is different than it is in Dark Souls.
DaS3 is similar but you have to be a lot more aggressive in BB.
They're all good games though

How far are you in the game?
I'm finished my first playthrough and now I'm doing Chalice dungeons on my second character

Because what the fuck do you want to talk about?
The game/console isn't even out yet and there isn't much information.

Of course it's going to be shitposting thread.

Sotn and BB are the best 2D and 3D games of all time

They kept 'unfair' shit in chalice dungeons, just for people who want masochistic experiences.

>If you haven't played Dragon's Crown
I must have stopped before it picked up, I just remember bad sidequests, repeat levels and them wanting you to use the AI.

That's kind of bullshit honestly the games play fairly differently.
Bloodborne is more of an action game with one playstyle where Souls plays up the rpg part more with multiple playstyles.
People shit on the shield all the time but it's just one of the many ways to play the game and when you do get around to playing the souls games I urge you to play it however you want to play it.
Also you're probably going to be a little spoiled by the smooth ass combat of bloodborne having played it first but it shouldn't hinder your enjoyment too much.

I think a lot of people here bought a PS4 on Black Friday/Cyber Monday

Literally the beginning man, haha. I've played like... 3 hours total? I play about 1-2 hours a day, and I began like a day ago.

I'm doing embarassingly bad. Keep getting wrecked by the two werewolves on the bridge in the first level, which, I assume is on the way to the boss or something. I also found a Sewer full of giant rats off to the side, but turned back before going too deep into it, not sure which way to go, but I like the branching paths.

Should I jump into DaSIII after BB?

Yeah. I think that too.
Sometime ago i was playing and was a pain to get some co op, recently i open another character and i get summoned on every boss.
Its fun to have this back.
I don't know about how the pvp is going, but is very nice be able to help people with frequency again.

>it very much feels like what Castlevania should have been if it'd had gone 3D properly.
Just wait til you get to cainhurst

>Because what the fuck do you want to talk about?
>The game/console isn't even out yet and there isn't much information.
>Of course it's going to be shitposting thread.

There doesn't need to be threads at all unless something is announced.

>openly accepting shitposting threads
Kill yourself.

I think I fucked up. I'm on ng+3 when I finally got the dlc, is vicar Laurence supposed to be a shitwrecker or did I just get ungood?

I very VERY strongly recommend playing dark souls 1 first

What's a better introduction to Souls games Bloodborne it Dank Souls 3?

I wouldn't recommend it.
Go release order if possible.

Any way to play DaS1 on PS4? I heard there's a chance of a trilogy coming to Switch, so hopefully that will me a DaS1 port to PS4. As I don't feel like buying a PS3 JUST after buying a PS4. I mean, I do wanna get one eventually, for MGR, and Metal Gear Collection, and Dragon's Crown and the Souls games, but it's down the line. I literally have all the next gen consoles in my house after my sister moved in and brought her Xbone. Buying another console just feels excessive, especially with the backlog of PS4 games I got.

Play through King's Field starting from the translated PS1 ROM and go from there you pussy.

>and brought her Xbone.
Dark souls 1 should be backwards compatible on that iirc

I'd say demon souls.

More /tg/ related but, have Any of you guys played the BB board game they made recently? Thinking of buying it.

Just a few hints, there are NPCs in the game but you talk to them through their windows. There is one guy in front of the second lantern.
Read item descriptions, they all have a bit of lore/hints.
Nothing wrong with reading notes but stay away from guides for your first playthrough. I think it's more fun to explore the first time(s) on your own and then reading in a guide what you missed.
Also, git gud. Though the first two bosses teach you that well.

I'm just not surprised by the shitposting in Switch threads, or about most upcoming, exclusive games
Once the console releases, you'll get your proper threads, don't worry friend

Release order is the best possible way.
It doesn't matter that much with 2 but 1 should be played before 3.

Maybe on PC but the port is shit and not that well optimized (unlike 2 and 3)

I'm trying to convince my friend to give it a fair chance. He played it for about as much as me, and says he doesn't like the "combat physics" I'm telling him that the game is a lot more nuanced than it lets on, especially with combat.

I'm telling him to play till at least the first boss before criticizing the game. Any advice to urge him on to keep playing?

The werewolves are definitely the first roadblock I remember hitting.
Feels so good when you can go back on subsequent playthroughs and wreck them instantly for no reason other than you got gud.

Just tell him to play.

My brother was the same but he saw me playing DaS all the time, so he gave it another chance. Not sure how that would help you with your friend though.
I mean, you don't really invite people over to make them watch you play a videogame

It's easier when the person knows about the concept of learning a game (giting gud), or experienced it.

Or maybe if he's bored and doesn't know what to play. In those times people are always easier to persuade

>It's easier when the person knows about the concept of learning a game
I don't know about you, but my gitting gud process in Dark Souls can be seperated into two sections.

>pre someone told me rolls have i-frames
This game is the most boring shit since Legend of Zelda except you keep dying.

>post someone told me rolls have i-frames
S'okay.

if that's your first Souls game, play Demon's and Dark after it.
If you end up enjoying DaS a lot, and crave for more, go for DaS3, but don't expect the same tightness.
If you end up loving that as well, and STILL crave for more, give DaS2 a try, but treat it as a fangame of sorts.

Well, he lives with me, so he'll see me play it a lot.

He said he's gonna give it more of a go, he's actually playing it right now. Starting a new file though. He said that he was very frustrated with it initially cause he'd just come off of FO4 and being pissed off that FO4 removed the karma system.

but we'll see.

Yeah, exactly like it was for me.
Though I enjoyed the pre-iframes part too, I would always carefully move around and fight.

Then iframes happen and you just get faster and faster
youtube.com/watch?v=LRqjsuoIKh8

Well, he could join the Vilebloods

FUCK DEFILED WATCHDOG

Let it all out friend the hot dog can't hurt you here.

Well I thought it couldn't you should probably leave before he one shots you.

>I guess since their fans are older, predating PS, Xbox, and modern PC, they are more mature and are less confrontational.

it's time to wake up, user.

Defiled Watchdog made me put down the game. Last time I played was like a month ago. Maybe I'll just do a fresh playthrough.

are u guys playing blind or just happen to browse Sup Forums at different time from nintendo shitposter ?

How many points did you put into END?
I had 40 at the end of my first playthrough

/bbg/ laughed at me

Not nearly that much. I either have 20 or 25 on my main playthrough. 40 END sounds like a lot, though I never necessarily had a problem with stamina. I think the problem was more with my build with bloodtinge and the Chikage. I will never make a build with that weapon again.

You need 6. Or 8. I've forgotten what the absolute minimum you can start with is.

I think you mean bloodtinge, apparently it's an "all or nothing" stat

The whole "ZOMG SOULSBORNE SO HARD!!!1!1!" shut is just a normie meme. The games difficulty is fair and balanced except for some far and few bullshit like undead giants ball&chain, or Ebreitas charge attack. Even the stupid broken Frenzy status is good because it ties in with the lore.

>mfw I died 3 times to living failures after beating it in my first playthrough on the first try
I blame silky smooth 7 fps for not reading my dogde-input in a timely fashion while memeteor-attack
>

>playing the dlc on ng+

You fucked up hard and Orphan is gonna punish you just as hard as Lawrence.

That too.

Arcane too, why not.

END really does not ever need to go above minimum, user.

Oh. Oh fug.

Maybe I can just...not get hit

How do these Beast Pellets work?
Currently struggling against this Undead Giant boss in lower Pthumerian and I tried the thing out a few times but it looks like nothing is happening

>Just not get hit

Remember those bosses that like to delay their attacks to force you to mistime your dodges. Now imagine that mixed with nonstop aggression and screaming and that's Orphan.

Pop one and attack a lot, very quickly in order to lower defense and raise offense in small quanitities, at max it's roughly 30% defense 170% offense.

Dark Souls is much more of a Metroidvania than Bloodborne, check that out too.

I can't really keep it high, it doesn't build up fast enough and drops too fast

Surprise

Weapons you need for Beast Pellets to be worth half a damn: Beast Claws.

Otherwise stick to buffs.

You get used to it, you just learn to delay your dodge to them actually moving in your direction and not the second they telegraph an attack.

It's a mean ol' trick though. Dark Souls 2 pulls it famously with Sir Alonne. I don't remember Bayonetta or DMC pulling that shit desu.

Don't forget the unpredictable yo-yo like weapon.

What weapon are you using? Transform attacks help the buildup a lot. Check out a speedrun to see how they can melt bosses.

Didn't nevan have a delay on a bat?

boop

I disagree with this list and can express my opinions loudly if desired.

I just bought my bloodborne machine and started playing.
I just passed that giant bonfire where tons of enemy gather. Went past there and killed some giant dude banging on the door. At the moment I have like 3000 blood echoes. Where the fuck do I spend them?

Bloodechoes are spent at the Hunter's Dream. You can use them to level up but that requires at least 1 Insight which you can get by either popping a Madman's Knowledge or finding bosses. Alternatively you can use them at the vendor there to buy weapons. New weapons are unlocked by finding badges.

I been to the hunter's dream once but that was after my first death. I didn't see anyone to level at.

I take it insight is the equivalent of humanity? So I got to beat my first boss before I can spend my echos?

Which is the nearest boss to my location and is there a lantern nearby?

don't spoil it for yourself, explore a bit and you will learn how to do stuff.

Going to buy a Pro since it's the strongest of the PS4's.
Might as well go with the best. Will Bloodborne ever run or look better on the Pro? Does it improve the game at all if I played it on the Pro?

Most people who say Souls games are "the hardest shit ever" are people who only know modern games and are utterly shocked when Dark Souls drops them into a world and expects them to continue without a quest marker or exposition dump.

The games aren't brutally difficult, they just don't hold your hand at all and aren't afraid to dive into some ass-clenching difficulty once in a while (like chalice dungeons, ludwig, and the orphan of kos)

Hmm okay. I really like the combat compared to DS tho. If only it wasn't 30 FPS.

No, Sony stated that multiplayer titles won't get a performance upgrade. It might run worse even, check some comparison videos.

Insight kind of is and kind of isn't like Humanity. That 1 Insight requirement actually establishes an important precedent in the game that I won't spoil here.

>Dark Souls of action RPGs
>not Dark Souls

It's the Persona of Dark Souls.

Welcome to Bloodborne

>3000 echoes

I can give you five white gummybears for that

The first 1 hour is the hardest part of the game.
The game is great, don't get me wrong, but they definitely could have made it harder.

The only other hard thing in the game is the late chalice dungeons if you're not above lvl 120.

3000 humanity is a good 1~2 levels in DS. I assume it was equivalent.