So the Dock increases performance?

So the Dock increases performance?

Anyone actually believing this?

letsplayvideogames.com/2016/12/report-nintendo-switch-dock-increases-performance-not-via-extra-hardware/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If anything it probably just gives it some more memory

jesus christ you mongoloids i've leaked this several times

>the console underclocks in portable mode for better energy usage and less heat
>the dock has an AC charger so it doesn't need to extend battery
>the dock has a cooler to solve the heat problem
the dock is literally just a USB3/HDMI input/output with a cooler.

screencap this, you fucking idiots. let this be the last time i talk about this on Sup Forums.

>increases-performance-not-via-extra-hardware/
Then how? fucking magic?

>it's a leak not bullshit
>because I said

The switch looks like a piece of shit but you're a lying faggot.

Underclocked hardware.

haha see you in a month dumbass. tired as fuck of getting told i'm lying anyway, don't even care anymore

i should know a bunch of prejudiced preteens aren't going to treat me like a human being

The idea is that the processor can be overclocked while in the dock (running faster than the manufacturers intended), the dock will its own fan to stop it going all Note 7 in your livingroom.

Don't believe rumors and don't buy consoles at launch.

So what you plug it into the dock and it actives overclocking?

no, it's DOWNclocked when it's NOT on the base

>don't buy consoles at launch.

Not everyone is a poorfag.

About 10 years ago, I took the day off work so I could que up outside my local game shop at about 5am to buy a Nintendo Wii.

Everyone in my office laughed me.

A few weeks later I had a neverending line of people coming up to me, looking sheepish and desperate, asking where they could get a Wii. Those fucks never got a sniff of a Wii for about 2 years.

>*autistic screeching*

Undocked
>720p
>Tablet runs at a clock speed that doesn't drain the battery

Docked
>1080p
>Tablet, now on a stable source of power, increases clock speed

This is not rocket science.

What pricetag will it probably has?

you can sniff my wii ;)

$250

Sounds like they came out on top. The Wii was trash.

This.

It's not a leak, it's common fucking sense

Rumors say $250 for the regular and $300 for the "deluxe" version. Don't ask me for source, I forgot where I read it from.

Top-tier shit post.

Is gonna be more powerful than the WiiU? I'm hoping for at least standard PS4-type performance.

>prejudiced preteens
you had me up until then

This makes total sense. You underclock it to save the battery time.

it is actually pretty basic. any portable device is going to be made for battery life. while in the doc you get socket power so no need to underclock other than overheating but this can also partially be handled by the dock

i dont like the switch as a console but as a potable system it seems ok. considering what happened with the vita and the fact that all any one cares about on nintentedo stuff is first party games it seems safer than any new sony portable they may or may not make

It will probably be on par with the bone, especially in first party games

Here come a bunch of niggers who think raw specs on paper = actual performance

I don't see how it's possible not to be. My phone is more powerful than my wiiu

>y-y-y-you're a poorfag!

Idiot, use common sense and don't rush to buy a console at launch.
Wait and see if the consoles are shit or the first productions are faulty, or if there are no trucking games. Why sit there with a machine collecting dust?

And yeah I waited in line for two Wiis and sold one.

It seems to me you are stupid enough to believe these will be in extreme demand like the Wii.

No, just the truth.

>deluxe
What is deluxe ver?

That's a high-quality Lillie

Even Shu is praising the Switch.

How does it get to 1080p, stable 30fps, home and mobile console for $250? Serious question.

Unless they're willing to sell them at a loss, I don't see any way it achieves all that with this price point. Also, what does the deluxe have that the regular doesn't?

>So the Dock increases performance?
>Anyone actually believing this?

Think like a laptop being charged

Anyone who thinks it doesn't is unironically retarded.

Every laptop in existence increases performance notably when plugged in and somehow you autists can't comprehend how the dock will increase performance. Jesus christ you guys are fucking stupid

Poorfag.

Yeah people really don't realize how weaksauce the Wii U hardware is.

The dock supposedly activates a secondary fan that enables the system to overclock itself.

I still don't understand how Sup Forums can be so extraneous to a standard power saving feature shipping with every laptop. Clearly this place is flooded with tech illiterate consoletards

Probably more HD space and a free game I would think

REMINDER

laptops do the same thing. big whoop.

Pack in with Splatoon

They got a cheap deal with Tegra. So cheap, NVIDIA is the one that came out losing (according to reports anyways).

yes because its common sense.

Guys what if the console is $400 but docked AND undocked has the power of a ps4. They worked closely with Nvidia to make this happen, and there's an air vent. There's some wizardry going on here.

Stable 30fps depends entirely on the game. An actual toaster cam literally run a game at 60 fps if it's simple enough

As for 1080p, that really isn't that impressive. People always act like it is so impossible for the switch to have ps4 quality games as if the ps4 isn't underpowered as fuck. It has a laptop gpu

This. Isn't it common sense?

cheap deal, its probably not all that much powerful, likely still under XB1. The dock doesnt add anything other than an HDMI out really, the entire console is the Switch unit itself.

I recall there being a rumor that the dock would be cheap enough to sell on its own, basically to the point where you can have one for each TV or house/apartment you may own or go to.

at the same time you have to give it to the fact that we knew it was a portable console hybrid long before it's announcement because someone leaked that info.

Very unlikely as that binds installed content to the dock and makes it unusable when it's undocked.

Best quess is that the switch dock uses slightly better cooling as it's... well...docked into a plastic shell.

Its not hars using modern tech, PS4 and xbone are bottlenecked as fuck.

But everything boildown to optimization, so if devs are lazy...Maybe.

You guys can hear the fan doing its hard work in the Jimmy Fallon video. It shuts off or goes into a real silent mode once Reggie undocks it
youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4
at 7:38. Sounds pretty loud.

Reminder

I think that's a notification sound.

The Wii U is pretty much 10-year old hardware (supposedly not being that much stronger than an X360) at this point, it would probably be more expensive to retool factories to make hardware that weak and antiquated.

I noticed that. I'm talking about the hum you hear throughout the gameplay before Reggie undocks it, its the fan. Might have to raise the volume a bit.

Holy shit they announced all this 2 years ago

Also I forgot achievements/trophies were confirmed here, very nice. Meme if you want but Nintendo needs a system like this

Good catch, I didn't notice that when I first watched it

if it's true it's pretty damn attractive as a consumer for a tiny tablet like device

even more if the price is the rumored $250-300 range

Leave Nebby alone! Nebby doesn't have to be in the bag if Nebby doesn't want to.

Wiiu Gpu was decent but CPU was bottlenecked as fuck.

Also two screens rendering took a toll in the damn thing.

Nintendo are wizards with hardware. I think they found a way to make at LEAST xbone tier graphics into a handheld. People are forgetting that the Wii U was made on GameCube architecture. The Switch is entirety new architecture and they probably spent a lot of money developing it. I'm not even a fanboy, I'm just remembering history.

I think the NX home console and NX handheld device makes this distinctly wrong.
>video calls
>4k/60fps video streaming
>900p/60fps gameplay
lol what

Reminder of what?

>unplug laptop from charger
>cpu and gpu run at lower frequencies to conserve power
>plug laptop into charger
>runs at full power

It amazes me that there are people who are geeky enough to post on Sup Forums but don't understand what power save mode is

Those attributes don't seem very weird though.
If the graphical chip performs well at video encoding it might perform well at a high resolution. It's Nvidia can't say anything about it really. As for video calls and 900p/60fps gameplay this seems very likely.

>It amazes me that there are people who are geeky enough to post on Sup Forums

>>the dock has a cooler to solve the heat problem
But that would be extra hardware.

yep, he's wrong on that part, the fan is in the Switch itself.

k/60fps video streaming
That's actually just part of the current standard tegra die, it could totally support it if they wanted it to.

Not in the sense that the dock has hardware of its own. It's simply supplying more constant power to the device, letting run without any hitches.

It's not a 30fps to 60fps difference, but a 720p to 1080p. They want the gameplay experience in both modes to be generally the same.

neat

It probably just underclocks itself when undocked to improve battery life like a lot of laptops using Nvidia chipsets use. That way you get good performance when you can afford to waste power, i.e. plugged in, and ok battery life when you aren't.

>It's not a 2x increase, it's a 2.25x increase
Seems legit.

Most people won't be able to with that Nintendo brand artificial scarcity.

I do, i even .now how it works.

It work by teh power of teh CLOUD.

But Nintendo is so far ahead of Microsoft that you dont even need an internet connection. Anybody who doubts Nintendo is a retard.

Ok, so when out of the dock its power saving mode and locks the gpu power usage lets say at 70%.

So this mean ether of two things.
1) when taken out the games run like pure shit, silky smooth 15 fps here we come.
or
2) when taken out the game reduces visual quality to match then underclocked gpu, making t look like shit

Nether of those 2 options is not a fucking positive.
Yet delusional Nintendo drones will eat this up as a "FEATURE"

>I've leaked this several times
That's a funny way of saying you guessed something most people were speculating day 1

The even crazier thing is that the 3DS ALREADY does this.
I don't know exactly about how the processing power is, but the max brightness plugged in is higher than the max brightness unplugged, at the very least.

And its still inefficient as fuck.

I've lost count of how many times my 3DS died in sleep mode while my Vita suspends a game even after it can't turn on.

Nintendo better get their shit together with this thing because I want it and it looks dope.

man, you must have a fucked battery, mine lasts easily more than a day in sleep mode.

What is actually improved while docked? Increased textures, particle effects, shadows, better AA, frame rate, ect? Or is it just upscaling the image to 1080p/4k for your tv?

video calls were in the Wii U too famalam

Why wouldnt it

If it was just a simple dock, why would it be so big?

Probably increased resolution.

Well the console itself is not anything bulky or large.

the dock is just there to output to TV, so increased resolution, not an upscaler.
The increased clock speed that comes with being docked could mean more than just a resolution bump, but considering the snappy way it switches from dock to handheld, I wouldnt expect to see much of a difference. If a game runs at 30 undocked, it will remain 30 while docked, I imagine.

Most likely just increased performance and/or running at 1080p.

For fuck sakes, why is it so fucking difficult for you morons to understand this?
Fucking damn near every other goddamn mobile device does this.
When it's plugged in, it's at "full power." When it's unplugged, it goes into powersaving mode, disabling certain things and underclocking itself in order to maximize battery life.

It's simple as fuck.

meant to reply There's USB ports on it, and needs some room for the power and HDMI cable.
Dont think its that big though, the Switch itself doesnt seem super big, its just thicker.

No. The dock by itself has no additional hardware.

What it does, is the same that happens when you plug a cable into the tablet: high power mode.
Works the same as with laptops.

If I have to guess, just a resolution bump. You won't see the game suddenly go from "High settings" to "Low settings" on the fly quickly like that.

Does this mean I can just plug in a usb-c cable, and get the same performance undocked as I do docked?

I doubt it. I assume it has to be docked to overclock itself. Someone holding it portable and overclocked would likely burn their hands.

>trusting Nintendo to do anything but languish in the niche sphere and put out mario after mario

It's gonna change everything, guys!
This is the system where I finally stop regretting being a nintendrone!

that fan and heat would not be comfortable, and the performance upgrade is likely just there to facilitate the resolution to the TV, it wouldnt do anything for the handheld.

>nintendo

this is an 18+ website

The second option isn't as drastic as you think.
Assume docked games run at native 1080p. If they undock, it can drop to 720p, which is the tablet's screen resolution. That'll make them look natural on the tablet itself.