WHAT IN GOD'S NAME WERE THEY THINKING

WHAT IN GOD'S NAME WERE THEY THINKING
I'm not the type to do sidequests, and I'm still on Disk 1 after 65 hours. I was expecting a standard 40 hour Dragon Quest adventure, not this shit.
Why did they decide the standard tried-and-true 40 hour JRPG length wasn't good enough and that DQ7 should be double or even triple that?

>i play games to beat them
If you're not enjoying it just stop playing.

They wanted to be different from everyone else.

When PS1 came out, every single other developer went for GRAFFIX and 3D.

They saw the PS1 and thought "Hey, we can make the best and biggest 2D JRPG ever with this hardware and disc space, so let's do just that".

It has roughly 27 book volumes worth of text.

Why aren't you playing the censored and dumbed down braindead casualized MIDI shitfest 3DS remake instead? :>

What was the general reaction like back in 2000? Was it heralded for its length or bashed?

I love the game, I do.

Heralded. They did what no other dev did.

Is the 3ds version really that bad? I was just thinking of picking it up.

Only if you take worthless shitposts as gospel. In other words, no, you dingus.

Sadly all they did was make the biggest. It's overall a mediocre Dragon Quest game.

Epic meme.

They removed content in early game
They censored a lot of scenes such as the "and by that I mean slut :^)" for example.
Music is MIDI in western version despite Japan having orchestra.
30 FPS lock with drops way below that.
Menus run at different framerate than the game and have even bigger slowdowns.

tl;dr it's shit

It's shit.

>They removed content in early game
They removed completely pointless padding and backtracking.
>such as the "and by that I mean slut :^)" for example.
Do you have any idea how much fucking text is in the game? That's not an example. The localization was changed completely, it only makes sense some things would be a bit different.
>Music is MIDI in western version despite Japan having orchestra.
The orchestrated soundtrack has looping issues, and they would've had to pay for licensing.
>30 FPS lock with drops way below that.
Oh, did the original PS1 version run at 60fps? No, didn't think so.
>Menus run at different framerate than the game and have even bigger slowdowns.
That makes absolutely no sense when the menus don't even have any animations, and it gives me the impression that you've never actually played the game you're shitting on.

>The orchestrated soundtrack has looping issues
ALREADY DEBUNKED YOU LITERAL SHILL

GET

CANCER

AND

DIE

DIE

DIE

MOTHER

FUCKER

DIE

OF

CANCER

DIE

DIE

DIE

ALREADY

D I E
I
E

>Censored

What was there to even censor? I played the Japanese version and I didn't even notice anything censor worthy. Did they censor the puff puff scene?

>What was the general reaction like back in 2000?

In Japan? Praised as a masterpiece, like every other DQ game. In America? Virtually ignored because the Xbox and Gamecube came out the same month.

>They censored a lot of scenes such as the "and by that I mean slut :^)" for example.

You talking about the "slave girl" thing? That was added by the localizers. In the Japanese version she just tells you you can call on her, but the way she says it is the same as what brothel/soapland/whatever whores do or used to.

If he were a shill he'd be encouraging people to buy the game. You dipshit.

I remember reading somewhere that it's many hundreds of hours long, which is pretty ridiculous.
Except that 90% of it is grinding, which is even more ridiculous.

The game took me around 100 hours without sidequests, so it's around 2-3 times the length of a standard RPG.

I've only played the 3DS version, but it took me 138 hours, which is apparently longer than what it took most people, but I took my time and it was also my first time playing. I didn't really grind that much, only when I knew I was close to leveling up in one way or another.

Basically yeah. The length is pretty impressive, but that really drags out the grind, moving from one fetch quest to the next, and points out how dated the whole DQ system is. Thankfully 8 was awesome, because 7 would have been enough for me to swear off DQ games for good.