Do you have any hopes for Elex?

Do you have any hopes for Elex?
youtube.com/watch?v=m4xZewnUl2k

Or are Piranha Bytes fucked after Risen 2 and 3?

Those terrible animations.

That terrible combat.

looks like f2p mmo

Terrible animations but then again, why would you expect that from a PB game anyway?

The world seems great and if they pull off exploration well enough, with that jetpack and all, it should be good.

What the fuck happened? Gothic 1 & 2 are the some of the best RPGs ever

Risen 1 was amazing. What happened? I have Risen 2 and 3 but didnt even install yet.

It was always this way. As much as I love the Gothic series, they did not age well. And gameplay and animations were always horrible with PB.

It's their worldbuilding where they shine.

Deep Silver. Risen was made to be a PC RPG and the jews at Deep Silver ported it to the consoles last minute and it performed terribly saleswise (because of the U.I, and the Gothic style RPG that Skyrim kids couldn't handle).

So they made Risen 2 a more streamlined and console friendly experience. Except the console kids kept playing Skyrim and didn't give two shits about the legacy of PB. Performed poorly with the PC crowd because they expected a proper PC RPG.

Sure. It's not like I have anything to lose if it turns out to be shit. If nothing else I get another long game to practice my German with. That's good enough for me. Well, at least as long as the writing is better than Gothic 3's. That shit had drier dialog than a fucking language course book.

>What happened?
They made some games they didn't want to make. Shit, they've ran out of ideas halfway through Risen 1, damn if I know why the publisher thought it was a good idea to have them make two more.

I'm amazed they still make a combat system that looks clunky as fuck.

Going for a Souls-like combat would have benefitted them immensly.

>What happened?
They didn't go with the times where it was important.

neah
I got fooled enough with gothic 3, risen 1 and 2

>damn if I know why the publisher thought it was a good idea to have them make two more.

Given that Risen was a spiritual sequel to the Gothic series, it did a fine job of it.

Their idea of revamping the series to feature voodoo magic, firearms, and a caribbean island setting was actually the right direction to take the series. But they fucked it up on the execution when they threw out the open world aspect of the first game and strayed away from their PC roots by making a linear corridor of an RPG.

Just look at this horrid console U.I for Risen 2.

I played Gothic 2 NotR religiously and I thought Risen was great.

Gothic 3 was even sort of serviceable. The combat was clunky but their world-building was still top-notch.

gothic 3 was serviceable after 1.7 and risen was ok but they peaked at gothic 2 and went downhill from there

Look at CDPR for example:
small european developer that makes a CRPG that becomes a cult hit
look how much they evolved and improved with each game

Now look at PB, who feels like they're making the same game over and over but somehow they're making it worse with each iteration. It's just sad tbqh

I would love for Elex to turn out good but I'd be a fool to have any hopes for it

>I thought Risen was great.
Pretty much everybody recognizes it as a return to form.
Basically a modern Gothic 1.

Looks like fallout3 mod

>look how much they evolved and improved with each game

Come to think of it, how did they grow so much in such a short time? Witcher 1 was never a commercial hit and they had nothing to their name before it. Ultrarich polish masterjews that survived the holocaust and started using their dragon hoard of gold?

>Look at CDPR for example:
>small european developer
they were never small. cd projekt red is property of cd projekt which is biggest publisher in eastern europe

>pcucks Horizon Zero Dawn

I got more of a Gothic 2 vibe from it with all the hidden ledges and loot that encourages exploration more.

God Gothic 2 was such a fucking good game.

They got lucky with Gothic, then perfected that concept with NotR, that was it.

Perfect storm I guess. Sometimes the right group of talented people come together and end up making something amazing.

Like how early NA devs like Interplay and Bioware started out ;_;

In terms of scale it's much closer to G1 than 2 from what I remember.

I'm Chinese and all I play are European RPGs. I especially enjoy the Gothic and Drakensang series.

It's too bad all my friends play CSGO and assfaggots.

I live for these threads.

Yeah you're right in that regard. It was a tight world with different camps and factions. Gothic 2 had different regions.

Risen 1 was amazing 2 and 3 is shit

If you haven't, look into older 90's cRPGs.

Looks like a mod for Gothic 2, maybe Risen if your're generous.

Yeah I know. I'm just grateful I didn't pay full price for Risen 2.

I didn't even bother picking up the third one eventhough it seemed like they were trying to return to form by re-introducing Gothic-esque aesthetics and magic shit.

I remember liking Icewind Dale and Arcanum. I haven't played that many games from Bioware though.

I want to play Fallout 2 and see how that holds up.

One generation older.

The DX11 mods for Gothic 2 looks better than that. Seriously, that foliage detail is unreal.

My screenshots are murky too. Kinda weird since the game actually looks really sharp.

>They got lucky with Gothic, then perfected that concept with NotR,
and they somehow they managed to fuck it up in all the following games

>they were never small.
Pretty sure they were as a development studio making their first game.
They were hardly established development studios like bioware and such.

My point remains: CDPR is a studio that managed to learn from mistakes, grow and evolve their series as a result.

PB on the other hand is incapable of that and they keep trying, and failing to capture the magic of their first two games, let alone evolve that in any significant way

There had better be mods that let me run the game in 1920x1080.

You can set whatever resolution you want in DosBox.

>biggest publisher in eastern europe

Wait, shouldn't that be Paradox?

If their animation budget was any lower you'd see a puppeteer literally pulling the strings.

yeah I really like graphics, my screenshots don't do this game justice, even though I set steam to save uncompressed.

No kidding? Good to know.

>even though I set steam to save uncompressed.

I did not know you could do that. I should dig around in their settings more.

I'd play a game where the gimmick was that everyone animated like puppets and the strings are clearly visible. And that it is played straight and NO ONE inside the game acknowledges it.

I it still amazes me how bethesta still thinks loading screens are acceptable.

Being able too see through windows is unbelievable in open world games.

Reminds me of that one Courage episode with the Great Fusili. That'd be one creepy ass game.

Looks like shit.

another kill wild animals and pick up food and drink simulator? no thanks.

You could play through all of Risen without seeing one loading screen (if you don't use the teleport stones).

I still don't know how they did it.

They probably had a nice budget, maybe 5-10 mil, but that doesn't really get you that far when you're making an open world RPG and your company is in germany. In poland or the czech republic you could easily make a nice middle market game for that money but in germany you'll be halfway done shopping your project around hoping for angel investors.

Not to mention it would drive lorefags fucking nuts. Biggest red herring in gaming history.

There wasn't a single loading screen in Gothic 3 either. But, you know...

You're describing an open world survival game. PB doesn't make those.

Well I enjoyed all the games so far even though Risen 2 was not what I expected, so I'll probably have fun with this one too.

We're not getting the next Gothic 2 from PB anyway, the closest thing to it so far was Witcher 3. Might as well enjoy Elex for what it is.

>In poland or the czech republic you could easily make a nice middle market game for that money

Like Kingdom Come.

Tbh from some initial hype around that, it sounded like a possible Gothic spiritual successor. But I dunno, I didn't back or play the betas.

>it sounded like a possible Gothic spiritual successor

How so? Isn't it more DayZ: Medieval Edition.

I mean it's like an online-only game or something.

I think im going to stick to gothic 2 mods

No, it's a singleplayer RPG is a small-scale open world.

Well I'm a lot more interested then.

He didn't work on Mafia 3 I take it?

Mafia 2 was fun when I played it, Kingdom Come should be good I hope but it promises a lot and I'm not sure it can have all it says it will and still beat other games with good combat like Mordhau

He wrote the main story for Mafia 2 and left long before it shipped. The only people who actually know how much of his work made it into the game are Vavra and the writers that took over after him.

>He didn't work on Mafia 3 I take it?

No.

But I also didn't like Mafia 2. They build a nice looking open world but there was nothing to do in it apart from some race missions. And I hated racing in open world crime games.

the risen series are some of my all-time favorite games ever so fuck off niggers

also, technomancer is quite ok but this game seems too barebones... i hope it's just because it's pre-alpha or else they're going to fail miserably if they release such a shitty thing

>csgo
do they replace blood with rice in your cunt?

dat quality gunplay

What the fuck are you on about. Technomancer wasn't even made by Pyranha Bytes.

Oh while Risen was good, Risen 2 was absolute shit.

>Technomancer

That shit is out? How is it?

that looks so fucking cheap

the original risen was a masterpiece, specially in terms of atmosphere but the second one was also pretty good even if was expecting more in terms of technical advances

haven't played the 3rd one yet but it also seems pretty good
still, although all those games lack top notch grafix, they still have by far the best aesthetics i've ever seen in any videogame and immerse you pretty quickly

It's mediocre. Plays the melee combat is almost exactly like their previous game, it was some low fantasy RPG that I can't remember the name of atm.

To call it janky would be a compliment.

>animation for picking up items
stopped watching there, confirmed garbage game

yeah it's ok
i played it almost until the end but meanwhile some other game caught my attention and i left it on hold... will end it up eventually - the problem was i did too many sidequests and got bored with it

>If nothing else I get another long game to practice my German with.
You can play every other game in german. You know, good games...

bound by blood?
it isnt low fantasy at all. mages are just incredibly rare and weak compared to other fantasy rpg.

Bound By Flame.

Also reminds me of Lords of the Fallen, another game that existed.

No, absolutely not.
I won't say anything about visuals since it's PB we're talking about, but everything about the setting, combat and rpg system shown so far looks like a liquid garbage.
Risen 2 destroyed all my faith in them and this seems to still follow its horrible, hollow formula.

An user gave me that game as a christmas gift a couple of years ago. It's ok, definitely not as bad as Sup Forums memes it out to be.

is it worth to play risen 1 for the first time now? or it aged like crap? ive been looking for a singleplayer game for a while

It's good. The only game in the series that might feel dated is Gothic 1 but you'll get over that if you stick to it for a couple of hours. Risen is pretty modern by comparison.

Is it just me or are half of those animations straight out of Risen 1 (or hell, even Gothic 1)?

>le aging mem

Just play more Skyrim.

autism?

Is what you seem to have, based on your initial question.

>it's another open world game

i never played risen , how im supposed to know how it is., chill autist

I really liked Bound by Flame, while it obviously lacked some polish, it did a much better job at delivering a branching story(demon vs. non-demon) than anything Bioware produced in recent years.

Just keep in mind that you get more melee option when you level it up. At the first level its crap because your character cant fight but it gets better.

There is a big difference between games written in German and games translated to German. No matter how good the translation is, it will never be as natural. And PB games are especially good at this.

That, and I don't really have a German version of most of my games. Was for example Deus Ex ever translated to German?

Im german. While its obviously never be as natural its still good enough for a student of the language. Deus Ex had german text only.