So tell me, IRL oldfags (25 or older), what is a good length for a game?

So tell me, IRL oldfags (25 or older), what is a good length for a game?

As I get older I'm getting sick of padding, especially of the kind they put in open world games. On the other hand, I understand that making a 40 hour game most often costs only a little more than making a similar 20 hour game (because you reuse the assets), so they won't be able to sell shorter games cheaper.

Sandbox is the future. The game is as long as you want it to be.

"open world" is thrash concept
deus ex hub is as much game should go with "openness" ever

>So tell me, IRL oldfags (25 or older), what is a good length for a game?

What is a good length for WHAT game? I don't expect Vanquish to be as long as FFXV.

60+
Not counting bullshit like backtracking and grinding/gathering timesinks.

Good open world games are a diamond dozen. There's a video roaming around (probably shilled by its maker) that points out the difference between a sandbox shit experience and an actual well thought big map with player progression. How long the game is, if you need a number, I'd say around 60 to 80 hours.

What good hub game are there that are nonlinear like Deus Ex?

depends on the game really.
>RPG, Sandbox
20-40 hours, Main storyline should be at least 20 hours while optional stuff fills in the rest.
>FPS
7-12 hours
>Action games
6-9 hours

26 here.

I like games that I can get 60+ hours out of, bonus points for 100+. If a game can't even give me 20 hours, I won't but it unless it's under 5 dollars.

Getting the obvious VtM:B out of the way.

dishonored I guess
also Strife

8 hours and no more.
whoever has time to waste on games longer than that is not working hard enough or does not have to work in the first place

I'm 26. I despise open worlds and simply won't buy them. An ideal length is 10-12 hours.

I don't mind a 4 hour game if it's good. I don't mind paying full price for a 4 hour game if there's good replay value - see Mirrors Edge (a sequel I didn't buy due to the open world plague).

The Last Guardian is the first game I've paid full price for in several years. Although next year I'm likely to buy several at full price.

What a stupid thing to say. Surely you want more value from your money?

I work 60 hour weeks and play 40+ hour games all the time.

35 here. Always hated open world since its inception. I don't mind long games though, as long as it's not fetch sidequests shit; I tend more and more to focus on the main storyline and consider the game done once i get to the credits. My goty 2016 is Odin sphere, who had a very well balanced pacing imo.

Ridiculous. As long as a game is entertaining you what does it matter if you spend 6 months playing 3 hours a week to finish it?

Oh man, I completely forgot about The Last Guardian. Does it live up to its legacy?

Any game that advertises itself as "over 100 hours of gameplay!" is sure to overstay its welcome.

If someone were to make a 40-hour game that's a traditional "campaign" stretched across 40 hours, then it'd be highly dependent on the quality of the story and the game overall. Avoiding repetitiveness and having a sense of achievement or progress at that length is hard, but (probably) not impossible.
If a game is "40-hour long" but is actually just a 6-hour campaign with a whole bunch of RPG side quests and/or "make your own fun!" sandbox commute bullshit, then it doesn't even have the potential to be good. It's pretty much guaranteed to be unsatisfactory no matter what.

What hub? DX just returns you to Hell's Kitchen a bunch of times because they ran out of time to make another major city.

>what is a good length for a game?
That depends on the genre.

End of discussion.

Beginning of new discussion.

what is a good length for a MMORPG?

>what is a good length for a game?

It literally depends on the type of game and how it balances pacing.

Because in practice playing the same thing, even if it's good, gets old. A long game won't change its mechanics every 3 hours.

RPGs should be 30hrs minimum.
Fps campaign should be about 10.
Not 3-4hrs they are now thanks to Halo then CoD

>to finish it?
6 months to finish a game is fucking awful. 6 months of replaying a game can be fine.

>what is a good length for a MMORPG?
0 hours.

I didn't follow it at all, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It's a straight up adventure with puzzles though. Not action based at all.

You can read a serie of books totalizing several thousands page.
You can watch several seasons of the same tv show.
But a single game has to get old at some point?

If it's story driven 10 hours top, like Max Payne for example
If game tied on exploration heavily, than I want it last minimum for 10 hours.

Depends on the game

For a non-RPG open world game, I'd like to get 15 hours out of it. 10 hours on the main story, and 5 hours fucking around

I was totally okay with GTA 5 taking up 35 hours because it's stupid fun to play, sleeping dogs took a while too if I remember right.

For an RPG, I don't have a set number. I spent 250 hours in new Vegas before I felt finished with the game, and I still pick it up now and again. I spent 40 hours on fallout 4 before I got tired of it, and I have 20 hours in my first play through of dragons dogma right now, and I haven't even done the 4th story quest where you meet the duke.

30 hours for a good first playthrough
50+ hours if you're a completionist

Yes, because the basic building block of gameplay, the so-called "core game loop", is short for most games. E.g, in a game like GTA the core gaming loop is drive to the mission marker-drive to where the mission takes place-shoot somebody-lose your wanted level (with some variations) is roughly 20 minutes long. Imagine following a story with 20-minute story arcs.

The correct ratio is $1/1hr of playtime. If the game is asking for $60 it should last at least 60 hours. If the game is asking for $60 and only plays for 20 don't buy it until it's $20.

Sometimes you get surprised and pay $60 for a 120hr game.

30 quality hours (no padding) at 30 € physical. (I don't buy games at a higher prices, I don't buy digital, don't buy "episodes" or bullshit.)
If the game allows for additional exploration optionally expanding this to 50 hours, then it's gold.
Less than 30 hours and it's not really worth learning the game mechanics. More than 60 and it gets stale.

Its completely dependent on the pacing a story structure if the game. Deus Ex MD took me 40 hours to finish doing all side quests but the ending was so abrupt. Could gave been longer. Shadow warrior took me 18 hours if I recall correctly and it dragged on and on during the last story arc. That game needed to be shorter.

You can even say it also depends on your personal enjoyment in the game and what you find fun playing it.

Paying per hour is the best way to encourage padding, though.

I don't think I've ever been tricked into buying a game claiming a long playtime but was padded to shit. It's very easy to discern what games/publishers will lie to you.

I'm only 22 but I'm already starting to hate padding and games that feel like they waste my time.

Instead of putting filler in your game, make it fun to replay. The reason why I love RE4 is because it's a game that doesn't feel like it's dragging its feet. Making it incredibly enjoyable to replay.

>I don't buy digital
Why? You can save a lot by buying digital copies on Steam.

Padding doesn't count.
If a game has a 3 hour worth of gameplay padded to 3000 with MMO fetch quests and grinding, it's not worth more than 3 dollars.
This is the case for Elite Dangerous Horizons.

>Why?
Because it's wasting money for getting nothing tangible in return.
>You can save a lot by buying digital copies on Steam.
I can save much, much more by NOT "buying" (subscribing) "digital" copies on Steam.

>IRL oldfags (25 or older)
Fuck you, I'm still young.

Dishonored isn't hubs.

>I need to get my money's worth!
>I got you my man.

Have you tried running a cost/benefit analysis on your buying decisions? From an economic perspective what you do probably makes no sense. Steam is very unlikely to disappear in the future and neither is it likely to ban you. Besides, what does it matter that your copy of a game may not last if it was $10 instead of $30? If you get an urge to play it in the future, buy it again for another $10 on whatever comes after Steam if Steam really does fail.