Gabe why?

>steam machines are a failure
>no one likes the steam controller
>steam link is a failure, terrible without a LAN cable
>no one uses steam OS
>htc vive too expensive, terrible sales

How can such a giant company constantly fuck up like this?

I honestly feel like valve gets a free pass for almost everything, while the other 3 major companies get shit on for any little decision.

First ones on the market and no one else has stepped up and done something better.

People need to rationalise their massive investment in them since they have hundreds or even thousands of games in Valve's ecosystem.

Remember when everyone was going to stop using Steam because of paid mods? Never happened.

Businesses take risks. Even giant companies can fuck up. Without risks we wouldn't have most of the shit we have today.

Valve is the little company that could, its an underdog compared to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo and needs all the support they can get,

I fucking hate Valve.

I wish they would stop doing stupid shit like this and make another fucking game for once.

I don't care which series, just fucking make a game with one of your IPs.

But thats the thing, they make billions in game sales, lose a couple of million on their hardware, and just give uo instead of trying to make it work.

>How can such a giant company constantly fuck up like this?

valve is under the illusion developers will make make linux ports and use vulkan out of the goodness of their hearts instead of being heavily, heavily bribed. developers would actually expect it from a company like them as well since valve has multiple rivers of money flowing through it.

Why spend a couple of mil on making a game to make the same amount back,

WHEN YOU CAN DO NOTHING AND MAKE BILLIONS. Steam sales such dick yet theyre still making a killing. Its a shame theyll never mske half life vive.

>little company
>has a literal monopoly on PC gaming

Steam is big company in its market, arguably bigger than Microsoft. You dont compare two companies by their overall size, you compare them in side the market they compete in regardless of what other businesses the other companies may have. The OS and office software segments of Microsoft for example is of no importance when comparing its gaming division with Valve. Sony's insurance business is also irrelevant when comparing Sony and Valve.

Because PC fanboys are fucking retards and will willing eat shit in the name of "lord Gaben xD".

Valve has become such a shitty company over the past half decade that it's not even funny.
>Started the cancer known as early access letting devs release outright incomplete and shitty games to the masses
>Allowed shitty developers to flood Steam with mounds of shovelware.
>Have made exactly 0 singleplayer games since Portal 2
>Dota 2 is the only major game they've made in the last 5 years. They had to reluctantly make CS:GO, originally intended to be more of a smaller experience, a main CS game after fans latched on to it.
>Polluted all their multiplayer games with cancerous cosmetics.
>Shit up TF2 by forcing a shitty competitive mode/lobby system upon everyone in lieu of Overwatch being released, removed Quickplay and a fundamental part of the original TF2 along with it.
>Inconsistent updates for their games due to the shitty "dude work on anything it's freeform xD" workplace culture.
>Announced development of HL3 almost a decade ago, haven't said a word about it for not good reason.

I could go on. Valve is content to rest of their laurels and make absolutely no new fucking proper video games while some of the best and most iconic PC IPs are wasting away.

Nintendo gets endlessly shit on for not releasing certain games or practical hardware, yet steam/valve get a free pass from Sup Forums all day everyday for the shit they push out

Why?

because 99% of Sup Forums is 13-16 year olds who yell LE PEE CEE MASTUR RACE XD PRAISE GABEN AMEN

realistically Steam is going to end up destroying PC gaming at this rate.

>Quickplay
>Part of the original TF2
Nigger Quickplay is what killed community servers. Before we had the server browser and that was it. Casual matchmaking is the same damn thing as Quickplay, it's all the same retards.

I guess I shouldn't have said Quickplay specifically, was mainly referring to the more drop-in-drop-out system TF2 used to have.

>there are people who actually think this

he meant the fact that you could just drop in a game whenever you wanted. that shit never happens anymore.

Steam Machines are shit
I have the Steam Link and I like it, but I have Power-Line adapters for ethernet.
The steam controller is hit and miss. and even when it 'hits' I think, why am I using this and not my XBone controller.

They can afford it.

I just dont see the market for this shit. MAYBE the controller, but steam link, OS, and especially the machines are for a market that doesn't exist.

the HTC Vive is cool though, but I, like most people, don't want to drop $1500 for a fledgling technology with a very uncertain future.

>Trying to play games without an ethernet cable

What apple is to tech, valve is to gaming. They dint do shit, and make money, so why try?

Htc is the one getting fucked on the vive, not valve, so why push it?

Gabe is from MS and knows how to Extend, Embrace and Extinguish and he's done it to plenty of services like gamespy. That is what he was planning with SteamOS and Vulkan. Start using them, extending their life with Valve's own exclusive forks and then extinguishing them by making sure everything runs on Valve's own forks. Plus the minute Microsoft started giving him what he really wanted (A seat on the advisory council of companies for on W10), suddenly the SteamOS support started whittling down.

Valves PR made them look like a small company for years and people ate it up

steam controller is good though
t. typing with one

thats why they go back to selling hats
well gloves

Because those things are optional. You can use them, but they are not required for anything. Since there's no pressure, there's also no hard feelings towards Valve when it sucks. Things just go on like they used to.

just like nintendo, they keep trying to """innovate"""" the way people play games

they don't realize that nobody gives a shit and normal controllers or M&KB are always better than gimmicky shit and people just want good games

>Since there's no pressure, there's also no hard feelings towards Valve when it sucks
I have plenty of hard feelings towards them, because they're dicking around pushing out garbage instead of investing their vast resources into things people actually want. Like fucking videogames.

>13-16 year olds
>knowing what valve stands for and what they did for the industry

Thank you, the csgo skins have been sent.

>what they did for the industry
You mean other than creating Steam?

>How can such a giant company constantly fuck up like this?
They have less worthwhile games than OUYA.
>People need to rationalise their massive investment in them since they have hundreds or even thousands of games in Valve's ecosystem.
Sunk Cost Fallacy, the same thing that affects Star Citizen victims.
It's easy to get rid of this problem.
>Build a decent physical game collection (doesn't have to be super large and cheap used games you enjoy suffice).
>Realize you flushed all that Steam sale money down to the toilet, it's gone and your gamer facebook account is completely worthless.
>Accept your loss.
Stop using Steam. Fin.

They don't know fuckall about being a manufacturer, what did you expect?
They made a few games and peddle DRM. They were way out of their depth.

>no one uses steam OS
Wait this actually released? I will install it right this moment if it released.

i like the steam controller
i don't love it, but i see most of its merits

a game's controls need to be designed with it in mind though

>realistically Steam is going to end up destroying PC gaming at this rate.
It already did from 2004 (Steam launch, invented day one patch) to 2007 (last AAA PC release, physical PC games gone).
All this happened a decade ago already and put PC gaming into the fringe niche it is today.

Gabe is being greedy long you wouldn't get it

>steam machines are a failure
>no one uses steam OS
It's really funny to see how Valve tries to imitate consoles without realizing what actually makes people buy consoles. Pic related

Learn English retard

>Steam is big company in its market, arguably bigger than Microsoft.

Because they're trying to push it on console normies/casuals. Except most of them don't even bother with this shit and just get a PS4/Xbone which is much more affordable these days. That and there's hardly any marketing for it (from what I've seen at least).

And the richfags that can afford to buy multiple copies of each hardware are either the same autists that just spend hundreds on CS:GO/TF2 skins and have thousands of hours in mostly source games because that's literally all they play. Or already have a good setup that shits on the Steam Machine.

It's just optional not a MUST have thing. A keyboard and mouse will benefit you much more for 90% of existing games.

I still remember how people kept saying Steam OS would kill Windows for gaming. Then they got mad whenever you reminded them that Valve didn't have the dedication to support an OS. Good times.

The majority of PC/Steam fags are already casuals, user.

>True
>Wrong, sold real well
>See above
>True
>Wrong

>dropped orange juice on my steam controller
>don't want to use my second one because all my custom noise is saved on the sticky one

How do I clean my controller. It's so sticky and thick when I push the buttons.

>Sup Forums
>Sup Forums
>hardcore ''gamers''

ive played on Sup Forums servers in multiple games and 99% of players are fucking trash tier

>yfw SteamOS is just an Ubuntu fork with bloatware and obviously has less compatibility with games than Windows
The day Microsoft ports DirectX to Linux, that day Linux will be a viable for games.

This. I'm not even great or too invested in any game, yet it's pretty obvious to me that almost every poster is a scrub when it comes to serious gaming.

Onlt Steam Machines and SteamOS are failures The Steam Controller works exactly as advertised and it's arguably everything I want in a PC controller, I use the Steam Link daily on wifi with zero hitches and my Vive is the best VR headset available.

Also, for "constantly fucking up," they sure make a whole fucking lot of money!

>Because they're trying to push it on console normies/casuals.
Steam successfully killed the retail PC game market. Now they try to sell hardware.
But hardware is retail. Just like normie games are.
No retailer sells Valve's shit.
They are going to face the hard, cold truth that in the long term you need retail to survive.
>I still remember how people kept saying Steam OS would kill Windows for gaming.
The joke is: SteamOS doesn't even support installing from retail media. Only the Windows version does. (And that is still cumbersome, because it's just an encrypted preload on disc).
It was just a joke to get back into bed with Microsoft.

Valve, like any other company, diversifies when they first get big. Apple started making ipods, then iphones, now is moving to streaming and cars. It does not mean it works out all of the time as you can see with Valve.

and 100% of the console fags are casual

Remember when Valve stopped paid mods themselves so no one needed to stop using Steam?

>>steam machines are a failure
Yeah, I don't know how they can possibly imagine those things would catch on, there's not much actual point to them and they also don't even support most of the Steam catalog
>>no one likes the steam controller
The Steam controller is hands-down the best general-purpose controller out there. It's far superior to analog sticks in almost any application. Regular controllers (with good D-pads especially) are better for certain genres, 2D platformers and fighters come to mind, but that's it. Plebs just can't be bothered to figure out controller profiles for each game or try some from the community.
>>steam link is a failure, terrible without a LAN cable
It's not a portable device, so Ethernet should be the default network connection anyway. WiFi is only useful for portable devices.
>>no one uses steam OS
Yup, just like the Steam machiens that it runs on.
>>htc vive too expensive, terrible sales
The Vive is fine and it's priced similarly to its only real competitor, the OR. The issue is the lack of compelling content for the thing, there's no "killer app" because the roomscale shit isn't really applicable to classic game genres.

My Steam Link works beautifully over wifi, just connect to 5ghz

this is the real concern Sup Forums has over steam, which has more to do with a fetish for physical media than anything to do with the company, how it treats its customers or the quality of the games.

Physical vs. digital is a valid argument though, because we do need more consumer rights with digital ownership.

Being a fanboy makes you a fucking retarded casual.

it's just Debian with Steam Big Picture on boot.

I've used it for awhile on a different rig and it's fun and simple but not worth it imo. No gains in performance like promised except for a few games. Actual loss in performance most of the time.

No one said that. Maybe one or two weird fringy steam fans did, but everyone I ever saw talk about it was skeptical and thought it was just an oddity.

So Microsoft has a bigger digital distribution platform on pc is what you're saying? Yep, games for Windows is doing great.

this

Linux needs to replace windows as a core PC gaming OS ASAP but casualfags won't switch so we all get to live under spywareOS 10

Yeah this, concerning the Vive... Valve decided to go feature rich over being a cheap consumer product, even at the cost of its own success.

People don't give them credit for actually believing in their end users and giving them niche and hardcore features no other company would ever dream of granting.

>casual matchmaking is the same thing as quickplay
Boy I love queueing and waiting for a minutes and then repeating it every time another 3 v 8 match ends instead of joining a game instantly and sitting on a server for as long as i wanted
any news on the comic? how long has it been, 16 months?

>digital ownership
"Digital ownership" doesn't exist. Pretending it does is just denial of sunk cost.
It's just in your mind though:
>get a proper real value assessment for "digital goods".
Conclusion: entirely worthless - zero value.
>draw the consequences
Don't click "BUY" on Steam. There is nothing to take home from this fake "STORE".

The thing is, the big reason the steam machines failed was because the OS.

So many more people would have bought a steam machine if it didnt have that fucking stupid OS. I just do not understand how one company could be so incompetent to think that anyone would want to use such a limited operating system

atleast there's thousands of linux games on Steam now, and even a handful of triple A titles.

I don't know what people expect, that Valve does something and suddenly everyone switches to Linux overnight. Overall I think SteamOS (which is really just steamgames on linux) is serving its purpose of being a free alternative.

I think it was mostly designed to be a pack-in for steam gaming machines so that Windows licenses didn't need to be included and drive the costs of each machine up.

Valve also realized that their entire business is built atop of Microsoft's OS, and when Microsoft announced Win8 would have a built-in store, they saw the writing on the while and realized they needed to start moving in other directions as well.

I'm not sure "hardcore" is the term I'd use for the sort of games the Vive seems to support best. I believe to really get VR off the ground we would've needed a few high-quality titles with lots of polish to impress everyone with how good *actual games* can be in VR. Instead we got a high-quality product meant to run a generally different type of "game" to any of the traditional genres that people dedicate hundreds or thousands of hours to. The high-precision waggler control scheme doesn't really work for any genre I'd actually be interested to play in VR (RPG, FPS, mech/space sim, even some top-down RTS/god game). Instead of getting games which are impressive in VR we got tech that is impressive by itself, but is actually unsuited for actual games as we know them.

valve was a company who made good video games. they also saw some modders doing good things and brought them into the fold to make other good games under valve. then, they got somehwhat lucky by becoming the de-facto online service at the exact right time. that is it. nothing they have ever done should indicate to you that they are some brilliant tech company. they are guys who made some solid software that filled a huge niche waiting to be formed. not every company that makes a ton of money is competent.

Valve isn't even CLOSE to becoming a shitty company.

Gaben's decision to keep the company private is the single best decision he's ever made, at least as far as benefits for the average gamer go.

You should be really fucking worried if valve management ever changes, because you're going to see stupid shit like steam subscriptions, having to rebuy old games, limits on how many times you can install a game, etc. etc. Like what EA's tried to do with Origin.

I try to buy from GoG for this reason alone. One day valve/steam will not be under gaben's control, or gaben will have gone full retard, and at that point every game in my steam library might as well be thrown in the trash.

>htc vive too expensive, terrible sales

All of those are wrong

OK. Yeah sure. That's the point I was making. There needs to be consumer rights applied to digital purchases so that they have the same rights as physical ones. Without them, people like you have every right to be skeptical and untrusting of online storefronts like Steam, GOG, PSN, whatever.

I don't care about "sunk cost". I'm satisfied with my Steam purchases, Steam's ability for game devs to make money and for the convenience of having all of my games in one place on one platform.

That's normally what I pay for, not because I live with my parents who is willing to house my boxes of plastic discs that won't work on the next generation of playstation hardware.

It's still an odd feeling to see Sup Forums unironically shit on valve. Less than 5 years ago, Sup Forums praised valve and worshipped gaben.

"hardcore" in the hardware features I mean. They didn't want to skimp on the experience even if it would hurt sales. They think doing so just damages VR in the longrun.

The same design philosophy is applied to Steam controller and other features on Steam. No company would have put up Workshop, and there's a high number of nuanced details that go into designing the Steam controller most of Sup Forums has never heard of. The way it bypasses all interpretation software and goes for direct keyboard inputs to reduce any added input lag, the level of input emulation it can perform, and the way its integrated into future games with new gamepad software thats easier to develope for and allows for alternative controllers like a PS4 pad with proper button prompts onscreen. There's alot I personally appreciate even if it's not successful. It's the kind of design philosophy I believe in.

Without an OS to pack-in, the cost of Steam machines would have been higher, and edge it just over being competitive with other livingroom devices.

The issue is all Valve cares about is providing the "console experience." Steamlink to play on TV, Steam machines for "muh plug and play" fags and Steam controllers. I don't care about any of this.

I honestly think the Steam controller is the best controller I've ever used.

But fuck that other shit.

This board got flooded with normies who just shitpost about everything to fit in

>Without MASSIVE PUBLIC SUBSIDIES OF PRIVATE INDUSTRY AND GOVERNMENT R&D MONEY we wouldn't have most of the shit we have today.

ftfy, fyi

But I really like my Steam Controller.

This stuff comes in waves, and has for some time. When console generations get old, gamers start to go back to PC where graphics and features are better. When a new hardware generation comes out, consumer hype kicks in and gamers start trashing PC again to help them hype up their new systems. It's already turning back around now, but it's happening faster than it did with the PS3/360, which was already faster than with PS2/etc.

That and Valve has betrayed alot of trust recently with not releasing a game in a long time, particularly HL3, and Steam features haven't been obvious ones people appreciate. Meanwhile Sony has doubled down on trading money for exclusives and Valve has had a policy of not pursuing exclusives, as they literally believe developers should "release their product on as many platforms as they can"

not only is the steam link a complete worthless TRAINWRECK when you try to use it over WiFI....
It doesn't work correctly with a lot of games I tried.
Like Fallout 4
I just want to stream wirelessly to my bedroom, I should be able to do that right? FUCK

I own 2 of the 5 things you mentioned.

Stop being a noob and go to Sup Forums. They will help you.

the point of the matter is, I should be able to use it straight out of the box without having to scour an internet forum for a proper tutorial on the subject. Valve fucked up HARD with this

Superfluous shit that got called superfluous shit. Steam users hardly go around saying "Steam controller and Steam Machines are the best!!!".

works for me over 5G

my steam machine is pretty fucking badass honestly.

It's smaller than a PS4 (the one in OP's pic), it can install all sorts of neat shit and emulators on it, it was cheap ($250 on black friday). I loaded up party games, beat-em-ups, fighters, and some coop couch games and I tote it over to people's houses and play stuff like Power Stone 2 and Smash and TMNT arcade.

>Because PC fanboys are fucking retards and will willing eat shit in the name of "lord Gaben xD".

But if that was true wouldn't the things the OP listed be successful instead of failures? It's like you're saying the opposite.

I love it, though.

they USED to be. They seem to operate like they still are, and honestly I hope they continue to operate this way. Seem to be the most forward thinking of all the large game companies.

>That's the point I was making. There needs to be consumer rights applied to digital purchases so that they have the same rights as physical ones. Without them, people like you have every right to be skeptical and untrusting of online storefronts like Steam, GOG, PSN, whatever.
The whole digital scam aims at stimulating hunter & collector drive in humans while only faking the results.
They take your real (not virtual) money and make your brain believe you get something in return. While in reality you don't. It's all non-existent, virtual and worthless, like in a video game.
All those fake "stores" are specifically designed to fool consumers in this way - with JPEGs, pictures of game shelfs (like GOG), Steam account value calculators and all that shit.
This is not a rights problem. It's more about giving consumers the correct picture of what they are actually spending money on. Once these "digital stores" would start doing giving the correct impression (or forced by regulation to do so), digital sales would immediately plunge to almost zero.

There has always been people here who shit on valve. You must have a selective memory.

But I liked the steam controller

"Hardcore gamer"
>into japanese games equally if not more than Western ones"
of course lmao

and you're a nobody. QED

Really? Because I only ever see shit talk when steam machines and controllers are brought up.

They also got smacked real good when they pulled the payed mods bullshit.

Enjoy your yearly Ubisoft and EA rehashes user.

Did you quit after day 1? They brought it back after like a week.

I didn't buy the Steam Machine version of the Alienware Alpha but I got the i5 model of the original alienware alpha for $500 a few years back.

I actually really like it despite its shortcomings. Its small form factor make it ideal for LAN parties (you won't be invited to the specs wank off tho) and I use the 360 controller and adapter it came with to emulate everything up to PS1 under my television.

Obviously there ARE chapter/better ways to accomplish the same goals.

Excessive materialism is bad for you.