Good

thank god for cartridges. Based ninty

dont care desu

>buy physical copy
>put physical disc in
>starts downloading the entire game

Discs probably, physical media though?
Never.

Why do some game make this, anyway? It completely defeats the fucking purpose of physical disks

Good. It's about time cartridges came back.

Optical media is obsolete

I hate this so fucking much

>buy dishonored 2 physical edition b/c it was on sale
>realize I never put a disk drive in my PC
>doesn't matter because it just comes with a code anyway

Cartridge Master Race returning thanks to handhelds and the Switch.

anyone without a blu-ray drive wouldn't be a potential buyer for your game

and they don't want to print 8+ fucking dvds like they used to do with floppies and cd-roms while trying to transit

so they'd rather stick to a single dvd with a downloader, or even just give you a steam key

reading an optical disk is slow as shit compared to reading off a hard drive, and big games need to be able to load a lot quickly.

this means I can't buy 50 games a year since I can't sell them back

Carts need to come back anyway, given memory limits on capacity are far less of a thing than they used to be.

Load time bullshit needs to die.

Do you thinks it's possible they'll one day just put all the assets and shit on the disc and only download the stuff needed to run it? I don't wanna have to deal with storage space

not like disc load times matter after an installation that happens while you're playing

plus carts will always be more expansive than a disc, and can negatively impact game prices

asset size is the reason disks are on their way out. You'd want it the other way around, but I still don't think that would work.

>game comes on a USB 3.0 SSD "cartridge"
I never knew I wanted it.

why don't they fill the center for more grafix?

We're starting to approach a singularity. The only reason we use discs now is that they're significantly cheaper for the capacity we use on them. That advantage is rapidly disappearing between the juxtaposition of largely stagnating game sizes (barring games with insane uncompressed bloat) and the general improvement in flash memory.

The ideal power play right now is either to do what the switch is doing on the lower graphic end (cartridges) or for PC/Higher graphic console games to use an internal hard drive/memory cards to load the game and pass the savings from not needing distribution onto the consumer.

Cheer up, it means there will be literally no reasons left to not pirate everything.

>load time bullshit
that's not going away, even when they run off SSD most of today's games STILL get plenty of loading screens

what if
we insert a person into a reader
we could take all of their memories and use them for graphics

Reminder that Smash 3DS still loads

Yeah, and on a disc it would take way fucking longer to load.

Flash doesn't eliminate load times completely, but it vastly reduces them.

I have literally not bought a PC game since 2006 or so because they are no longer sold the way I want them: complete game, on-disc, with no strings attached to online DRM "services".

I do play PC games, I just pirate them. And I do buy games, but only console games. Purely because they don't make real physical editions anymore.

>going without internet for a while
>buy one of those giant five disc box sets for a game so I don't have to worry about this
>still requires Internet to authorize the fucking game I bought

I still don't understand how music CDs are surviving

Is this a Jojo's reference?

>think to replay old game
>grab the physical disc
>put it in
>the DRM is broken and it won't install

S-sauce?

wish the format would at least have been replaced on a wide basis, could've used DVD for audio too -- and/or lossless compression formats

>tfw get OST with the game
>all the tracks are like 1 minute long if not plain missing, and cut short because no space and they don't want a 2nd cd
>the in-game tracks use like 6+ channels or whatever the fuck

When does Jojo get good? Part 3 right?

Just started Part 3 after almost sleeping through Part 1 and 2.

>b-b-but this never happens guys!!! our games will work forever

PC master race huh?

just be a good goy and buy it again on GoG

Or pirate the GoG version
Or download a crack

You already own the game.

that's like stealing your neighbor's car because yours isn't starting up

>Not liking best JoJo
Pleb.

Who wants stacks of shit in their house?

I liked him as a character but nothing really happened. The mystic powers were boring and the enemies were boring.

It was worth it for his mom and wife though.

What a braindead analogy.

It's more like acquiring a free, working copy of the car you already own from a dude that doesn't charge you.

That's poor optimization you stupid fucking shithead.

>physical games will die out
>everything will be digital
>I still have shitty satellite internet where I'm lucky to have 1mb download speeds
It's sad to know the future doesn't give a shit about me

Doubt it, but if they do, I'm dropping the hobby.

Maybe I'll come back if the consoles get hacked, then I'll pirate everything, which would be a first for me. Otherwise, no.

Digital-only content is incredibly anti-consumer and not future-proof whatsoever.

HOO-BOY, I JUST DO WISH I COULD PLAY THOSE DIGITAL-ONLY SEGA CHANNEL-EXCLUSIVE GENESIS GAMES! Let me just set up the Sega Channel real quick- Oh wait, the service ended decades ago and now my only option is emulation or overpriced reproduction carts.

I SURE DO WISH I COULD PLAY MVC2 ONLINE
Oh wait, they were taken off the marketplace. Only people who already bought it can play it.

Yeah, nah, fuck you.

>tfw you were so hyped for the next Fatal Frame
>tfw it's digital only in America
>Physical in Europe
>The WiiU is fucking region locked

Fuck. You.

Go away millennial

Consoles do the same thing

No, it would be like downloading a car when yours doesn't start off, whch is in no way morally/ethically bad

>tfw you only buy physical

the car used to work, just because it broke down 5 years later doesn't make you entitled to a free one

Many Millennials are in their 30s at this point.

yes, and that's not going away, you rotten banana

But you didn't buy a car, you bought a "license to have a car". That means you can download cars whenever you want and replace yours as you please. :^)

Part 1

Good cartridges were always better

What I find really disturbing about the shift to digital is how much stuff from today will be lost and inaccessible in the future.

Here's a hint:
Cluck like a chicken!

Yes I am if what I'm paying for is the license to use the car, not the car itself.
Which is what happens with software, you pay for the license to use it, not the copy itself, you imbecile. Your car analogy is horseshit and you should feel bad for making such a terrible comparison. I'm surprised you didn't use food, actually.

The fact that some publishers jew you out by locking the software to a single platform or medium doesn't mean you're morally obligated to fuck yourself if they decide to sabotage your license by cutting support.

HxH seems better in every way so far.

But I know Stands have a variety of unique combinations of skills to make for interesting fights so that might redeem the series.

Just like all my floppy disc games and game cartriges from my Atari. Digital actually makes stuff less prone to be lost as long as there's a backup and a platform capable of reproducing the media

Part 1 is alright, 2 s godlike, 3 is awful and really long, 4 is alright, and 5 is amazing.

Still have to read the others.

You bought a game once, you bought it infinite times. Nobody can ask you to buy the same game twice, not legally or morally.

Kill yourselves.

>5 amazing
>3 awful
shit taste

>HxH
Too bad the only good character in that series was around for just one arc and is now dead.

>buy physical copy
>it just has a piece of paper with the steam authorization id

You first

Meruem was dumb and nobody should care about his humanization.

The problem is that so many games today are tied to online services in one way or another, and while the game data can be backed up an arbitrary amount of times, those online services are just going to go away one day, and after that point the game ceases to exist in any way that matters, even if you have copies of it.

This has already happened to more games than can be counted.

>buy ffxv, pop in disc
>ugh here comes a fucking 20+gig download like bloodborne
>small patch downloads, game runs
>everything went better than expected

I hope we're done with that shit now.

>memelennials sad to see discs go

Discs were always, ALWAYS shit. Cartridges from the NES-SNES era are the only ones that ever had collection value. Some GBC/GBA ones that had special chips were great, too. Everything else is just a shitty SD card, which is better than a disc that costs literal cents to make.

You're dumb.

Except cracks will simply be created for those just like we had NoCD or NoDVDs back in the day.
Or hell, you could even simulate a virtual steam server or some shit.

wow and gon even became a MONSTER during that arc so deep!!!11!!1!

Gon is a shit character, though.

JoJoBronies cant even do that right.

yes just like gary stu meruem

Wtf is wrong with you?

Jojo technically ends with stardust crusaders.

Anything after 3 feels totally out of place, as if it's not needed.

It's ok, but it's still not needed.

You managed to shit up an analogy that's even worse than a food analogy. Good job.

Fuck off.

They did delay game to prevent that

Any game good enough to warrant a decent and talented community has ways of coming back, look at BF2/2142 revive, all those old Gamespy games using different servers to stay alive today, like Battlefront 2 and Halo CE.

I'm more concerned of console games with their now mandatory updates before you can star them up and lack of a viable backup if emulation is never achieved.

In any case, they're not meant to last forever anyway, enjoy games in their prime then let go. That's life.

thanks, I did my best

>Anything after 3 feels totally out of place, as if it's not needed.

You are totally out of place. This is the vidya board.

Nah, Sup Forums sucks Part 7's dick all day every day. user is just a faggot.

What game is this

Take it elsewhere.

hyperdimension neptunia mk2

Ever heard of installing? Isn't that the only purpose of a CD?

i share your hatred ragebro

Stop using words you don't understand.

not an argument

>download speed keeps going up, and up
>could download several 50GB games in a day like it doesn't matter
>by paying more could even triple that speed
>150GB monthly cap, tripling the speed would also raise the cap to 200GB

Not trying to make one, you're just wrong.

declaring that someone is wrong is not an argument. don't even see why people bother

But you are literally wrong for applying a term you clearly don't understand to a situation that doesn't warrant it.

you are again declaring someone wrong which again, is not an argument. if you respond once again without an argument i will not take the bait

>we won't see an OG xbox emulator in the next decade

You don't understand. You do not know what a Gary Stu is. You using the term without knowing its actual meaning does, in fact, make you wrong. There is no argument to be had here.