PS4 Pro

Did they ever fix the problem where some games run worse on PS4 Pro?

I want to buy one but not before all the kinks are worked out.

Certain games run worse in 4k mode. You can just select 1080p and it will run either the same or better than the regular ps4. Don't buy one if you already have a ps4 it's still an under powered piece of shit.

The only games that run worse are multiplats, which you shouldn't be playing on a console to begin with

>You can just select 1080p and it will run either the same or better than the regular ps4
Some games were running worse even in 1080p

World of Final Fantasy was even having problems from what I read

There is not a "problem" to "fix".

It's new hardware, no matter how small the jump, so developers need time to adapt to it and find the best compromise between native resolution, upscaling techniques and performance. It's up to each and every one of them to find their own way. Sony aren't overlords and they are only to blame for their own 1st party studio fuck-ups (even then the blame is only on that particular studio)

This "higher-than 1080p" awkward period will still last for a bit but at the end of the day you can simply disable the 4K version and play at 1080p on the Pro if the game runs like shit, even if it isn't an option on games you can still force the PS4 into 1080p mode and games will think they are running on a standard PS4, "fixing" any problems on PS4pro's versions.

see

I'm fucking shaking right now, how could Sony mess it up this bad?

he's refering to PS4pro's 1080p mode. There are specific patches for 1080p modes, but on the console's system options you can limit the PS4 to 1080p and that mode won't be applied - games will run as if they were being played on a standard PS4. This fixes any possible issue on any PS4pro patched mode (including the patched 1080p mode).

The Last of Us was fixed a few weeks ago, digital foundry made a video about it

It depends on the game. Some games will still downsample the 4K image to 1080p if that's how they were coded

FFXV for instance, still has lite and high settings even at 1080p, it just downsamples to whatever your output resolution is. Luckily the performance in both modes is still better than on a vanilla PS4 but this is not the case for every game

I think it'll be a while until developers figure out how to maximize image quality without the framerate suffering, especially considering this isn't something they're particularly good at to begin with

The "performs worse" problem is more at fault of the developers of those games, not the console itself.

It has too much depth of field, that's literally it, it doesn't run worse its just blurrier

>buy a "4K gaming device" play it in 1080p because it's better.
then what's the fucking point isn't 1080p what base PS4 users were getting?

I bought a PS4 Pro and only have a 1080p TV.

I don't care about 4k. I want overall better performance which some games are getting. Last Guardian only seems to have a stable fps on PS4 Pro and FFXV is getting a patch that lets it run at 60fps on pro. I want the option that has the games running in the best way possible, not the highest resolution possible.

>20fps in BF1 on regular PS4 with dynamic resolution that goes as low as 90p
>or FPS that never drops lower than 55 on PS4 Pro with locked 1080p resolution

Wow I wonder which one I should pick

The ps4 pro doesn't DO native 4k. Its simply a hardware refresh meant for people that don't already have a ps4. Its the same price as the old ps4 for slightly more power.

>20fps in BF1 on regular PS4 with dynamic resolution that goes as low as 90p
You serious?

The Last Of Us Remastered had a 1080p issue but was fixed by the devs in a patch. I think that's the only game of note that had a problem but was fixed afterwards.

I'm enjoying the pro since I got decent performance on Last Guardian while friends were saying the fps dropped in the lower 20s. It's not worth replacing a current PS4 but being a new ps4 owner I don't regret the purchase.

Anyone know when FFXV's 60fps patch is coming?

So is a Slim the way to go.

slim doesn't have optical audio out. It's an overall downgrade from the original.

So original I guess.