Where are the best places to pursue a career in game development?

Where are the best places to pursue a career in game development?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.bioware.com/2009/03/04/how-do-i-become-a-writer-for-video-games-p1/
blog.ubi.com/the-write-stuff-on-becoming-a-game-writer/
youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g
youtube.com/watch?v=rR3b1JfE0qc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

AFK

Your bedroom

your mom ass

kickstarter

Insomnia.

Your basement.

mcdonalds

heaven

Learn to code if you aren't a good artist. Those are your only two real options as those are the only two roles that ever transfer into a design position but your chances of that are still pretty much 0.

That's why you're better off learning to code and accepting that if you want to make a game how you want it you need to make it yourself and spend years doing so. Just be glad we have that option, people like amteur film makers do not.

A local vocational technology school. My local one has classes in art and animation for artfags, 3d art and animation for 3d fags, programming which includes developing a couple mobile apps (which most students decide to make a game).

>Where are the best places to be underpaid and permanently depressed?

Don't fall for the game dev meme.

Do CS in college, that'll give you a leg up compared to everyone else. But don't go be one of those "le i do cs for muh vidya" faggots, the rest of us think that the courses you take are absolute jokes (and for good reason. those are just pretentious psych and media design classes taken by 2008 era emo edgelords and fedoraniggers).
Join the vidya dev club, that'll give you exposure to people who actually are interested in making games in their spare time.
Almost everywhere in the US is good for making vidya on an indie scale, but if you are more into AAA, expect to make a lot less money than other kinds of software engineers. AAA dev primarily takes place in CA, as does all the forefront CS work. Doesn't really make a difference though, Cali is just a whole bunch of pretentious niggers.

I can't code and I can't draw so I'm gonna be the ideas guy.

I hope you're just baiting.

Better question: What are all the good game companies to apply for? Be it smaller devs or AAA I want some places to send my resume to.

>McDonalds
>not Starbucks, like the other creative hipsters

At least it's more aesthetically pleasing.

>3 slices take up 3 slots
>whole 8-slice pizza takes up 2 slots
im pretty fucking triggered

i think blizzard hires a lot of newbies

you never had pizza slices from costco?

1. make a low poly meme game
2. shill it on reddit
3. ??????
4. profit

that picture gave me an aneurysm

Your mums basement.

I know you are memeing but back in my high-school programming class there were tons of people who had this mentality

Find a place with a smaller team. You want to be able to network and actually get to know your bosses. Even if you're an autist just remind yourself that so is everyone else in your industry so you have a chance.

I swear the fucks I work with make me feel like a social god.

The ideas guy is literally teh guy holding it all together and who tells the coders what to code and teh artists what to art. there are millions code monkeys but only one Miyamoto. There are tons of artists but only one Todd.

Nah too obvious
0/10
see me after class

Get a friend and start creating one with him.
I meet a friend once a week, we cook and make vidya.
We suck at it, because we can't into art or gamedesign, but it's pretty fun.

Oh and don't expect money anytime soon, just treat it as a hobby
For money study something useful.

Where's the best place to fuck this girl?

There are people attending university right now who have this idea.

It's fine if you wanna be an ideas guy, but you're never going to be hired. You're going to HIRE people. Find coders, artists, actors, anyone you need and pay them money to make your game. Then hopefully the game is a hit and you profit from it. You're only going to get hired if you're a coder or artist. Or if you're a successful, established writer who's published a bunch of books or something.

technical college that teaches art/programming
learn or at least gain an understanding of every aspect of development
take on lots of projects and build a portfolio of your work

Get a leg into the industry, in very, very few cases a tester might make it as "Ideas guy" but besides that, learn to code (in a school), be a codemonkey, then just somehow make connections, show you're a natural talent and start climbing up.

Alternatively make your own indie dev team and struggle for years, but if you're talented, eventually you might make it

weightwatchers meeting

What about becoming a writer for games?

>I'm gonna be the ideas guy.

how does something like this happen tho?

this guy used to be a video game ""journalist"" and he's now leading a 500 million activision/bungie project. he can't code, he's not an art guy, he's literally this guy:

Networking and knowing people.

>creative director
>not an art guy
that's not how that works

Depends on what sort of work environment you like. AAA is a meat grinder: get in, work your ass off, get out. You will learn a lot but will pay for it in your sanity. Indie is much friendlier generally, you will have bigger involvement in the dev process, get to make more meaningful decisions but it is insecure as fuck. Be prepared to lose your job at a moments notice. I've worked indie now for 3 years and wouldn't want to go AAA if I can help it. But i run my own games studio so my perspective will be different to that of our employees, but most have stuck around so it can't be that bad.

computer science is math though

But Clustertruck has good gameplay though, even if it's a simple idea that you'll get bored of quickly.

>Platformer
>Have to improvise literally on the fly
>High tempo

Fuck she would be cute if skinny

What's the matter user, can't handle thicc girls?

Is that level 3 she's working on? The graphics are looking pretty tight.

Computer science class

Do you have any recommendations for specific places? Anything really, no matter the country or whatever I'm open to applying anywhere.

I mean I'd like to make something that I can be proud of and not just a soulless grind but if AAA is the best place for a job I'll still try it. Can I apply to your company? Or can you recommend me any that you've worked with?

Unless you want to be a code monkey for something like Ubisoft, which is just long work hours and little pay and very unsatisfactory creatively, there is really no formal way. Most developers are just looking for someone useful, so I think the best idea would be to try to build up an impressing portfolio.

In other words, if you want to be a video game composer, I recommend studying music while building a portfolio on the side.

If you want to be a video game writer, I recommend studying English or something like that while building a portfolio on the side.

If you want to be a programmer, I recommend studying computer science while building a portfolio on the side.

And so on, and so on.

If you want to be the "ideas guy"/director/whatever you get a job with your above specialty and wait for the right moment, which may never come. The other option is to start your own company and do what you want. Since you're on Sup Forums I doubt you have a fortune or the social skills to get many (or any) people to work for you, but Game Maker is not as hard as you think to learn. As for other aspects of game development, like art and music, study other indie games and learn to work around your limitations.

Is that a painting of Emma Watson in a cyberpunk scene?

I would love to see her star in an action game.

whats games have you made? whats your company? might give them a look on steam.

What's your view on piracy? Do you pirate at all ever (even if you later buy the game if u like it?)

Unfortunately we are not hiring at the moment but that sort of attitude of just asking people will get you farther than you might think so keep that up! Half the battle is just making a memorable impression on people. What role do you do? Art? Code? What sort of personal projects do you liek to work on? Finding a company that best matches your preferences will really help. Full time game dev is hard. You WILL need to work overtime, with shit people for even shittier pay. Working at a company who's products you really enjoy is definitely worth aiming for.

Ring-a-ding, baby. I'd be cautious with the "he's not an art guy" thesis, he's made a living of writing [about video games] for long years. Joining to Bungie as a writer made sense career-wise, then he maneuvered wisely there.

His former 1UP buddy has a great career as well (see attached pic), the difference is he worked for Microsoft and it's subsidiaries in various positions before he recently took over Hearthstone's Franchise Lead at Blizzard.

I wouldn't talk about our games here unfortunately as we are careful about where we advertise (putting your stuff up on Sup Forums can sometimes do more harm than good!). As for piracy- no I never pirate. As an indie dev who owns the company I know how hard this business is, making enough money just to keep the lights on and feed my family is a constant fight. I know that there a a lot of devs out there who are in the exact same position so it's good to support others whenever you can. The indie game dev scene is very tight knit (for better or worse) so I like to help others out whenever we can. Hopefully others will return the favor.

Do you have a physical location for your studio or do your employees all just converse online?

stop calling it indie. that word needs to go

That's a big Switch.

Physical location: we have office space in the city where we work.

Why do you not like the word indie? That's what we are. It's our business, we started it and we own it 100% What would you call it?

>tfw trying to get into game art
>tfw after many years of dedication I'm very close to getting a job at Ubisoft

fuck yes.

Nice, you must be pretty good user, got any assets to post?

Should I fall for the engineering or code monkey meme
I know there are jobs everywhere for programmers but I imagine most aren't very good

>game development

Just become a digital artist or a programmer or a musician.

How do I do this?

I did CS > M.Sc. in Games Design and Analysis > paid AAA level design internship while writing my thesis > junior after a year > intermediate after another.

Game development positions are less about where you went to school and more about what you've done. Are you an awesome artist with an amazing portfolio? Are you a great writer with several published works? Are you a good programmer that have made some kickass pieces of software? That's what they want to see. Not your university name.

blog.bioware.com/2009/03/04/how-do-i-become-a-writer-for-video-games-p1/

blog.ubi.com/the-write-stuff-on-becoming-a-game-writer/

youtube.com/watch?v=FNgjecJY76g

>Ubisoft

HAHAHAH

FAGGOT

HA
but seriously if you think you got good ideas actually start create things or get a lot of money
One is basically an ideas guy who decided to start drawing
anyone can cook

code monkey meme

i downloaded Unity

and start learning some lesson online

will i make it ?
>a game developer

What's wrong with Ubisoft? Say what you will about the game mechanics, they're fantastic when it comes to the art direction imo. I've heard great things about working for them.

I'd say I'm good for entry level stuff, I wouldn't be able to compete with the big guys. But I'm decent for a starting position sort of thing. I would post stuff but admittedly I'm shy. You into game art as well?

In Japan where the AA and smaller studios are still able to make blockbusters. Go ask Vanillaware or Suda51's new studio if they're still looking.

You realize that learning to code is similar to learning how to be a good artist.
Identical time frame of 10,000 hours.

I just started at Full Sail.

Wish me luck bros, everyone is extremely casual and my teachers use EA games as examples.

This.

Your education means jack shit. The only instance where it would pay off greatly, Is if you want to work for a company in another country you pretty much need a degree for the work visa. Which depends where you live it might worth it.

You poor poor retard. You fell for the full sail meme, you'll be """progressive""" in no time.

With those boobs you're gonna go places, don't forget about us.

Ah. I've been trying to plan for work in the distant future and I was wondering if there were some indie companies that would allow me to work remotely from home.

You should know, GamDesign isn't the same as Game Art/Concept Art. If you wanted to go that route you should pursue a more traditional art course with lots of traditional media in mind with good figure drawing and painting.

Picking up a game engine and learning its tools feels wrong but it's an approach to starting I guess.
95% of people in the industry have an actual expertise such as programming physics, programming networks, programming something the leads assign you to, writing executable game scripts that the programmers built a system around, rigging models, sculpting a preliminary model, painting landscape textures, painting 3D models, animating shit, etc.

drop some codes already.

>I would post stuff but admittedly I'm shy.

You'll need to try and get over that if you can, especially working at Ubisoft as you will have to show other people your work on a daily basis. And yeah I'm a 3D artist, mainly hard surface modelling stuff but I branch out whenever I can.

To learn code fluently maybe but the basics to get results that aren't complete shit come way quicker then they would probably come with art.

I really hope I end up liking this. I saw the ad in Mike's and Ryan's videos on Cinemassacre and asked my parents to pay for it, they said yes. Everyone is cringey but at least I am going to a top school.

I will write my experiences as a top dog inthe industry in a few years.

What exactly are you majoring in?

Good luck user. You should know you'd be doing stuff like level design jockey work for a while.But some people love it so that's up to you.

With the tools available today I have to disagree.
Just look at how fast you can sculpt something nowadays with ZERO knowledge: youtube.com/watch?v=rR3b1JfE0qc (skip through fast)

Though maybe some are probably thinking of painting on some canvas or some shit rather than 3D.

Yeah there most definitely are, I know some myself and they have been very successful working remotely but most companies avoid it as it is very difficult to do right. You just can't beat having people in the same room as you. We have employees just down the hall from our office and even then they get left out of the loop sometimes.

Keep on dreaming faggot. Hope they explained that the chances of getting a job are fucking slim. Unless you are willing to work instead of shitpost on Sup Forums you'll probably end up on a shitty indie team at best. Take if from me. I'm currently following a game dev course and am ready to go into software developnent when I'm done because fuck my chances.

Learning how to code in some 3rd party engine like UE4 or fucking Unity is the easiest part of GD.
They've literally done almost all the work you'd ever need. You just need to assemble the pieces in the way you want.

I go to school at RIT and the undergrad and grad program in Game Design and Development here is decently well respected. The other programming-based degrees better prep you for the geams industry though desu.

>Be super productive when I'm anywhere but home
>Refuse to work in public like some faggot hipster
And that's why I'll never get anywhere.

>Listing the same job with a different title twice on your page
I hate when people do this on LinkedIn.

Edmonton. BioWare will hire any retard with a degree and no experience

he obviously got promoted

Artist in game dev here.

If you aren't constantly doing top-notch work, posting online, keeping your portfolio updated, and constantly contacting companies looking for illustrators, you are out of luck.

If you can't draw, you better start reading those coding tutorials.

If you don't have a degree in art or coding, you're even less likely to be hired especially if you have no prior freelance work.

Ok real talk how do game directors usually gain their position? I assume they start off as coders or something and worked their way up by being the founding member of a studio

Yeah but in that case you'd put in a date reflecting your actual promotion (not 1 mo. prior to your last gig) or update to your current title + position instead of creating a new entry.

Yeah they all start out as a codemonkey and work their way up. Nobody gets hired as a game director. That would be like being hired somewhere as a manager with no experience.