RTS Thread

Does Voobly make AoE2 HD irrelevant if you don't care about the new nations? I want to play with some friends and own both the original and HD edition.

Also curious if OpenRA is a proper port or if it plays differently from the original Red Alert.

>Go to cncnet.org like suggested
>Oh! a twitch stream!

>It's some guy playing a fastest map.

I used to look down on fastest maps when I played on Gamespy. Is that right or am I being a faggot?
For RA1 especially. RA1 fastest maps make no sense, because there's no reason not to be soviet and no reason to not spam heavy tanks, because it's not like you have an economical disadvantage to building them compared to building allies' medium tanks.

Am I wrong on this? That fastest maps just break RTS balance and are therefore not 'really' playing the game?

by fastest do you just mean fastest game speed?

I think voobly is harder to pick up since HD has more beginners.

Voobly players on the same ELO also are better than HD players, I think.

Then again, I never went online in AoE2HD. I got it in this Steam Sale for 5€ and only played against the CPU and tried to learn some strategies

OLD THREAD

Let's suggest some RTS games that people can enjoy today. Which is basically all of them! I'll start: Warzone 2100, remade by fans and available for free. Features a unique, if not particularly balanced, unit creation feature. Basically, all units are modular and can be customized by the player. There only one resource in the game, and that's power.

No, fastest possible maps.

IE: Ore/crystal/gas spawns which never run out and start inches away from your base which is perfectly defended with zero back-doors. These spawns are edited to allow multiple harvesters to harvest one patch at a time.

Sounds gay.

Still throwing in a vote Zero-K (better known by its alias as "Balanced Annihilation")

Great game, good community, terrible multiplayer interface.

I can see the appeal. Some people just don't want to think about resource management and just want to watch the tanks go boom.

At the same time. Gamespy back in the day had its Red Alert community ruined by it. It's not like Starcraft where you can go find a private ladder wherever you wanted; you were forced to use Gamespy at that time because it was the only one still up after Westwood's demise.

And your options on Gamespy were find some friends who would play 'A Path Beyond' with you, or 47 flavors of fastest possible maps.

I'm wondering if cncnet is the same way. I'm downloading now and I'll let everyone know what I find.

Is the netcode the same for both of them?

I'm not sure I heard that HD was a bit more buggy than voobly.
Not sure if it really was or if it was fixed

bump

Voobly doesn't magically add the updated visuals, attack move functionality, better (and really good) non-cheating AI or new campaigns.

>circular minimap
>square map

That's because you can rotate it.

CoH2 is a fine game and all, but how can Relic make it so hardware demanding for such a minimal graphics improvement over the original?

HD always take one step foward and two steps back

haven't played on voobly but comparing HD to the past like msn gaming zone. HD is shit. more desyncing than ever before and custom games types are basically unplayable because no one can connect to each other.

AoE 3 > AoE 2

Prove me wrong

persistent progression
small scale
ugly graphics

Don't forget arrows ignoring walls.

The snow maps had a lot of going on in them.
Tessellation to create snow tracks and all that.

I think CoH2's legacy is inevitably that of falling THQ.
The game was made and rushed because of desperately trying to save THQ's ass or at least lessen the damage and it's what killed off Relic for so long.

Heck, did you know Dawn of War 3 was planned for 2 years after Retribution?
And look how long it took.

default aoe2 is too unbalanced

the team in charge of aoe2hd is the most dedicated development team ever in terms of balance

name some examples of balance differences between voobly and HD

thats a coh1 screenshot i just angled the camera

knights, paladins and catapults

basically provided you are a solid player, if you have a civ with superior technology you win, playing the numbers game is harder to counter superior technology because aoe2 has max population limit of 200

What are some RTS games with cool effects? Warcraft 3 comes to mind.

Supreme Commander looked great in my eyes when it came out. I remember the first time I saw a Commander explode. I expected a standard explosion, and playing on the slower speeds, I just kept staring at the explosion swallowing up the entire base as it slowly grew, my jaw actually dropped the entire time.

I remember playing some TA clones in Spring and the interface really is shit. Were there any mods that actually made the UI on par with professionally made RTS?

Yeah I knew that. It's just whenever I see screenshots of CoH if there's no hud visible it always takes me a second to figure out which one it came from.

I played Supcom before C&C3 but for some reason the graphics of C&C3 left a bigger impression on me. The distortion effects from fires and jet exhaust really amazed me at the time. That and how well animated the infantry units were.

supreme commander
nuff said