Melee

How the fuck do you even get good at this game? I just got completely creampied by this unranked fuck who said he's been playing for 2 years and said he gets trashed by ranked 19 in Orlando who appearantly gets trashed by everyone else on the PR. How many levels are there to this shit??

practice

Play a lot

>How many levels are there to this shit??
A lot.
I get trounced by guys at my locals, who get destroyed by better players at bigger events.

But even I'm still good enough to shit on the average person who was the best of his small group of friends and think's he's hot shit.

The best way to improve is to just keep going to events and playing with people that are better than you. Ask for advice, ask what mistakes you made, etc.
Consider the absolute top players have mostly been playing for 15 years by now.

Watch the pros, Genesis 4 starts on the 20th. There are also VODs everywhere.
Pick one character and get good.

You stop playing it and start playing a later iteration that isn't played exclusively by autistic purists that never learned that there is an objectively better version on a later console.

Get out of it while you can. Two of my roommates are fairly high ranked sm4sh turds, and the entire community is hardcore autism mode.

xd

It really seems impossible to get as good as this guy was, he didnt make one mistake. So disheartening.
I've been playing Falco, Shiek, and a bit of Fox for a good 3-4 months now and can usually go even with alot of the smashladder dudes. (unranked obviously)
It's fun though, you guys should try it :-)

My cousin actually told me a story about how him and his friends played smash bros for the wii. And this one friend wasnt very good at the game. sort of just an average joe player. Well, one night he took a fuckload of shrooms and bascally spent all night tripping out playing smash. The next day they started playing smash again and according to my cousin he said he was "way fucking better". to the point where it was almost unreal how his skill had jumped overnight. he said after taking shrooms he had "understood" smash now.
my first reaction was that this is total bullshit but i also dont really know how your skill could jump overnight seeing as how smash is a game that takes months or years to perfect. or its somekind of elaborate ruse put on by my cousins friends but they were all pretty blown away by how good he was.
so believe what you want but maybe give shrooms a try while playing smash. you never know.

Can any smashfags describe what it FEELS like to use wavedashing correctly?

From what I've read about it, it seems like you have to be mashing the controller extremely quickly constantly. How the fuck are you capable of doing this for 3+ minutes at a time all while pressing other necessary buttons?

Do you get into a flow where it just feels extremely natural?

>How the fuck are you capable of doing this for 3+ minutes at a time all while pressing other necessary buttons?
Practice.
It just becomes muscle memory after long enough and you don't have to think about it as much.

>Do you get into a flow where it just feels extremely natural?
Yeah, its pretty much piss easy after a week of dicking around with it.

Yup. It becomes very natural with consistent practice and feels super good to do it in tandem with everything else. The important thing is practicing your tech consistently though.

super smash bros never should have had a competitive scene and im glad they made the game more casual

No thanks. I'm already subjected to enough conversations that don't take place on the internet that include the terms 'Nair' and 'frame perfect'. Plus, fighting games are fucking lame.

Why?

It's not like you're forced to play a game competitively.

Okay, have a nice day user!

There are many layers.
The first layer you must conquer is education. Learn everything about every map, character, and matchup.
The second is technical, you must be able to perform all of your abilities and combos reactively, and instantly, all while virtually never making a mistake. At high level mistakes will cost you games, at low levels it usually only costs you percent.
The third and most difficult level is mental. You must be able to read your opponent, while being unreadable yourself, bluff your opponent and then punish the smallest errors. Know when you must be aggressive, or defensive, or choose options that balance both.

Your progress will be endless. The skill ceiling is TAS levels of execution while also being a mindreader. For a human, there basically is no skill ceiling.

It just feels like a movement option. Waveglide back into forward smash doesn't feel like 2 things, it feels like one.

What do I do to beat Peach? Or better said, what should I do in the neutral? All my approaches either get straight up beaten or at the very least trade, thus resetting neutral. Dash attack approaches always fuck me for some reason as well.

I've been playing falcon on netplay for 1 1/2 years every day on netplay try hard as fuck and I still have people in my region who rotate on me

The game is 16 years old user, it's safe to assume that people will have a bit of a head start on you

Platform mix ups, Peach has a hard time dealing with top platform as well. Depends on what character you play.

is this a copypasta

It's the hardest fighting game to get into because people have been playing it for 15 years and unlike other fighting games it hasn't changed, and it requires very good reaction time/hand dexterity

I main Fox, drill shines work pretty nicely most of the time for getting kills aside from up-throw uo-air (which are hard for me against this one Peach player who loves to throw "preventive" D-smashes which end up hitting me or make me get in and get hit by another thing like shield grab or some shit). I tried n-airs but Peach's n-airs and fairs always bump me, I'd laser camp for the early percent, but my stick has this shitty pushback so I can't really laser consistently. Also have a lot of problems edgeguarding.

Falcon or Marth counterpicks tend to help me but I never get back if they put me in a edgeguard situation.

leffen?

>got good at a baby game while high on drugs
This is absolutely a thing. I used to suck at Mario Kart, but after playing it on acid for a night the game just seems so much easier.