Only obscure enemies can post in this thread

Only obscure enemies can post in this thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lhCuKGeRAb8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Let's program some enemies that appear in only one obscure, optional corner of one level who guard nothing of value.

Hello I am Labyrinth Mole.

>appears only in a level that you can't ever return to
>never even gets a cameo in any of the other games
Why even bother rendering, texturing, animating and giving them AI? Such a waste of a cool design. It's especially bad since modern Ratchet enemies look fucking awful.

But, then, the Ratchet and Clank series has a thing for underutilizing cool enemies and characters.

You call that obscure?
This fucking thing has four versions and all of them only show up when dropped items are left on the ground for too long.

Seriously, what the fuck was up with this thing?

The red snifit.

I don't know.

RIP
Mr. Friendly
"Taken too soon"

it cured poison but degraded your equipment

Vagrantmind

What are these from and which Halo is OP's?

I hate that I can't think of any right now, but I have a lot of moments in games that make me wonder why they bothered to model > texture > rig > animate > program that. I guess the little ice creatures on Snowy Mountain from Jak and Daxter aren't necessarily obscure, but there are only two in that one level and they aren't remarkable.

Which game/level is he from? A lot of the robots in the series look the same to me. Is it one of those beam shooters on Veldin or is it one of the security bots in a stealth section?

subterraneans from Turok 1. there are a lot of enemies in that game that only appear briefly in a single level, but those ones are particularly easy to completely miss

BOBs are semi-hidden enemies from Halo: Reach

If I remember correctly, Mandarins from Silent Hill 2 were enemies that you could see but could never interact with because they were hanging off of the chainlink fence/grated floors in certain areas.

Then they reused them in 3 and called them Closers because they had such a small role.

Man, fuck this dude. I wanted to see him so badly, but I never found one.

I have a love/hate relationship with ultra-rare items/monsters found in randomized areas.

Yeah, kinda weird they only made one of those.

Sunshine had a few weird one-offs too. There's only one stack of Strollin Stu's in the very back of the theme park

Thanks guys. Never played Turok and only played some co-op in Reach

Yeah, beam shooters on Veldin. Early on in the series, robots would have gun arms, would balance on spheres of energy and lacked humanoid features. For some reason this aesthetic got phased out for this ugly "sci fi homage to classic cartoon idiot" design, as if John Kricfalusi became art director.

But for the first several games, we would get oddball enemies like that, who would come and go uncelebrated. Zap on, Electroid.
Doesn't he have his own website?

You can use them as allies as well so I'm not sure if this counts

More like taken without consent

I guess the Ujadani in Pikmin 2 aren't too well known as I can't find any decent videos of them

youtube.com/watch?v=lhCuKGeRAb8

I know this is controversial, but I loved the bob-ombs in sunshine. I don't know why Nintendo decided to suddenly give them an aura of practical design, but it looked cool. Especially the digital eyes that doubled as the timer.

Also, I spent most of my childhood calling them bomb-omb and I wasn't the only one in my culdesac to do so. Were they ever called this or am I in a Bearnstein Bears type situation?

>Bearnstein Bears type situation
Go back

I can't

I have a feeling the floaty ball aesthetic was more of an effort to save time on walking animations; some enemies had them(usually swarmers, but I can think of a few like that bomb dropper on Kerwan and the exterminators in Blackwater). I think you have a good point with those guys though; their laser sweep would've complemented the other enemies in the game who are content to just throw shit at/charge at you. Remember the mouse-ufo thing helmet?

It was pretty early on in the PS2's life, and Insomniac weren't above taking a few shortcuts; Ratchet's feet are cartoonishly big to avoid making it look like he's sliding everywhere.

I definitely missed the one-off from 3 onward. It's part of why I preferred 2; sure there were chainsaw/flamethrower spidercentaurs everywhere, but there were some other things mixed in. The indigenous tribes on that desert planet were great.

Nah, they were pretty cool and it helped communicate information for the Monty Mole boss fight gimmick.

You're just being retarded about the Bomb-omb thing though.

I remember that really clearly. And then playing Silent Hill 3 when you first get the gun and feeling like you're about to get you shit pushed in.

There will truely never be a series like Silent Hill again.

Oh yeah! Sand Mice! Those things really confused me. They were such a weird concept, and they never got brought up again. I used to wonder what exactly their homes looked like from the inside, because they appeared to be cramped little cylinders.

2 was also my favorite. It mixed recurring enemies with one off enemies really well. One question: who was the UFO Queen that you fought as Giant Clank? That part came out of nowhere and never got explained. I loved it though.

>bomb-omb
See? You're calling them that now, too, but they're called bob-ombs. Forgive me for still having a sense of wonder in vidya.
Wouldn't be the first time art was born out of limitation

I'm 99% sure you had to get past these guys to progress. I assumed they were just mutated Pirates.
Not what I'd call obscure.

Overshadowed by the obviously superior khezu, gigginox have serve no purpose in Monster hunter, the same can be said about king shakalaka, the most obscure "big monster" there is in the entire franchise, so obscure that I'm not even posting a picture of him.

Fuck off and kill you'reself unloved faggot

Is that from Resistance?

2 just had a lot of weird, experimental things that weren't fully polished and I loved it for that. Stuff like the Clank Zapper, Spider Glove, Zodiac, the Glider, the desert/tundra crystal collecting areas, etc. I actually liked those areas for the bolt/exp grinding.

The queen was bizarre and, forgive me for saying this, most "video gamey" thing in the series. I think they just wanted another Giant Clank segment besides that Thugs4Less boss fight.

Todano was my favorite planet in the series and that's really what cements Going Commando as my favorite. Mostly thanks to the hours I spent as a kid following the tourists, launching rockets, and killing squirrels. Didn't they bring back the Qwark Fanboy from that level as a main villain too? I haven't played Into the Nexus or FFA.

yeah

He was obscure before the meme, yes. Also those water bugs in Wet Dry World.

Fallen+Soul from Chrono Trigger. You have to get into a fight with both a Fallen and a Soul in Cyrus's tomb, and then wait for them to fuse. But usually you kill them before that.

>Overshadowed by the obviously superior khezu
this is bait

I thought about this guy while talking to the other user about R&C; you see them later piloting vehicles, but they only appear on-foot in the first planet.

You just landed on some obscure little island and then this guy shows up and snorts your gf out of the battle

What do you do

>those CIS officials you kill on the Mustafar campaign level in Battlefront II
>the acklays in Battlefront II

I wish more games had rare one off enemies in them, they're like little easter eggs that don't get spoiled by the internet because no one gives a shit about them

>literally 0 rewards for tracking down all of these
Even before Destiny, Bungie really knew how to grind my gears

I like uncommon enemies too.

The thing is, if you make them super tough and give them a good item drop or something, they become "just another miniboss."

But something closer to works because it is rare, not especially dangerous or hard to kill, and very unique

>The new wave of clones bred on Kamino to fight the Empire

Battlefront II's campaign was excellent in this regard, actually

Hope you like lots of materia exp.