Why does this game still have almost a 9 on metacritic?

Why does this game still have almost a 9 on metacritic?

Daxter is probably the most annoying side kick character in video game history.

Because the game itself is good and a single debatable flaw does not detract from the overall value of something.

Car keys.

It was different

Just because the side kick is bad doesn't mean the game itself is awful.

Because nostalgia

>COLLECTATHON PLATFORMER
>different

Pick one.

Sony used Ziff Davis to pay off / influence reviewers. The game is a solid 3/5.

No, but its mediocre at best. Its just a basic platformer that brought nothing new to the table

This. It's a wonderful game, OP.

I used to get flamed hard on forums for saying this but honestly Jak and Daxter is the worst of the PS2's platformer trio. Sly Cooper and Ratchet games are all a lot better.

And that's your opinion, I can respect it.

Its not really debateable that it brought nothing new to the table. Thats just solid fact.

I could make an argument for nearly any game, regardless of it's quality, that it had nothing new in it.

Alright you don't have to be an asshole about your opinion, y'know.

Hey this is great
I can honk the horn outside of the car
Back when I was a kid you had to go inside to honk the horn, now you can do it from the outside.
This is amazing

Yeah but you wouldn't ger very far before your argument becoming "well its all 1's and 0's anyway so none of it is innovative"

Maybe it will have nothing new in it but it will have something new for video games. For instance, tetris and pac-man. What did they steal from another video game?

The original jak & daxter was the only good platformer out of all 3. Sly 1 was trash

Ive found that replaying most 3D platformers that are based around platforming alone arent very engaging unless the platforming is really in depth.

Say hello to your mother for me.

ohhhhhhhh!!! controllare questi numeri si ripetono!!

I want Owen Wilson and Mark Walhburg to watch that speedrun

Agreed , that's why The Last Guardian is GOTY

>So much fun banned, they rely on soulless 8th place autists to speedrun games

Community GDQ Replacement Marathon when?

>Its just a basic platformer that brought nothing new to the table

Trying to always reinvent the wheel isn't always a good thing. Look at the reception Jak 2 got generally compared to Jak 1 when they tried to change it up. Or many other games that shake it up in general.

Mario Galaxy did it well.

Yeah but reinventing the wheel is exactly what jak did. They just remade the wheel, painted it blue, and claimed it wasn't like the old wheel.

I'm not saying you can't successfully reinvent the wheel. It's possible. But at the same time, a game that does nothing new, but is generally well made shouldn't be shunned either.

Shovel Knight borrows from a lot of other games, but it's still a solid game for many reasons.

Havent played it yet so I cant tell if yoire baiting or not.

I know, I was just giving an example.

I don't sound like that

>But at the same time, a game that does nothing new, but is generally well made shouldn't be shunned either.
I disagree. The rhing that shovel knight did well was "bringing all the things to the table at once." It was good because it was a combination of those things. However, Jak doesnt bring a combination of things, it beings collectathon platformer almost-banjo clone to the table.

Patrick was pretty funny. Bonesaw was an annoying Canadian.

>However, Jak doesnt bring a combination of things, it beings collectathon platformer almost-banjo clone to the table.

If I had to argue for something new it did, Naughty Dog made a big effort to make the whole world as seamless as they can with little to no loading times. I'm sure for some people, that was something appreciated.

You also haven't said why being a game that's "unoriginal," but still well made should be ignored. Some devs simply can't shake it up without the results turning against them.

The run is the best run in AGDQ history for a combination of Patrick being hilarious and everyone making Bonesaw's run a trainwreck.
Bonesaw was part of why it was beautiful, but mostly by accident.

>You also haven't said why being a game that's "unoriginal," but still well made should be ignored
Because if it doesnt bring ANYTHING new then you should just play whatever it is ripping off. Games that don't bring anything new and are basically just "more of the same" are forgotten in time anyways. The only games that can get away with this is when the lore is engaging.

Jak and Daxter did have it's own lore, world, characters, and such.

I also disagree on something having to bring something new to be remembered. There's a lot of derivative work that people still remember to this day. Like Crash Team Racing took inspiration from Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing (moreso this game with the whole Adventure Mode thing), but people still look fondly on it and still remember it. Jak & Daxter as a series is still remembered.

I mean you don't have to like Jak & Daxter. That's fine. But it was something back then and even to this day, where some people wish Naughty Dog would make another game sometimes for the series.

Also one more point. Sometimes trying to bring something new can result in something worse. Sometimes playing it safe and refining what you have is the better option.