What happened?

What happened?

They got better?

Health bars used to be a dick and balls?

A bunch of faggy nu-male designers decided that it's a bad thing if a videogame looks like a videogame instead of a movie.

It was too video gamey, hard to immerse yourself

It's unobtrusive! Nevermind that it looks like bland alpha placeholder assets.

Minimalist meme happened

Mario 3 no healthbars.. Checkers athiesm

there is no "healthbar" in new games. your screen just goes kinda red and the character breathes heavily for a while.

they stopped looking like penis that's what happened

So why do modern game UI's look like fucking mobile apps. This shit is absolutely disgusting and has no style.

it's sleek, they say.

>wanting more useless ugly ui elements

There is very little personality in most modern games anymore. Everything is so clean and sterile.

except almost all modern games have a completetly shit UI

Sometimes it can make things slightly easier to read and navigate.

Microsoft brought that shit up with Windows 8.
Now every web or UI designer just slap rectangles on everything and calls it a day.

>healthbar in a game where you die in 1 hit

Reminds me of the Xbone dashboard and just as confusing.

except its exactly just as "gamey" as the different health bar, it's just a minimalist version of the same construct

even the most realistic health systems are "gamey"

immersion is about how investing are the mechanics, aesthetic, and story is to you depending on whatever you prefer, but mechanics and content stay at the top of that hierarchy if you want immersive games

and desu healthbars work perfectly fine, having a health status in a game no matter how "gamey" can be fun or stressful to manage, and depending on your taste that's immersive

even just having blocks like in dead rising is good enough, anything more complicated is just a.. more complicated version of the original idea. its a fucking game

You see a dick and balls?
Faggot confirmed

devs fell for the minimalism meme

Except most shooting games don't even have healthbars now, just blood all over the screen. But I guess it doesn't matter when it only takes 5 SECONDS TO COMPLETELY REGENERATE FROM 12 BULLETS TO THE CHEST.

I never remember health bars looking like a technodonger

>game seems interesting
>has a health bar like the one on the left
>instantly dropped

i cant be the only one

In an ever-changing world that we live in, it's nice to see that some things are constant. Like OP being a faggot.

This. Compare the Skyrim HUD to the Oblivion one as an example. Or FO3 to FO4.

fo4 hud is fucking horrible mang

>This and MKX's health bars
What happened? Granted I can't expect much from MK.

>pepe loser
>autistic enough to drop a game because of the fucking health bar
You're the only one and you'll die alone too

Could be worse.

>All 2008-2014
>Threads about cluttered over designed HUDs

>2015-2017
>Threads about minimalistic HUDs being bad and yearning for over designed dickbars again

How bout we just have a "Good HUD" examples thread.

Exactly. That's why minimalist HUD is a meme.

I think its more of higher resolutions allowing mininal interfaces to work

You cant expect someone to make out a tiny green bar naked against a bunch of moving colors at 800x600

>How bout we just have a "Good HUD" examples thread.

So Dead Space?

>nu-
has there ever been a worthwhile post on Sup Forums that contained this prefix?

doing minimalism right.

That's a good one. Fits the theme and integrates into the world well.

I'm quite partial to the Bloodborne HUD. It's minimalist but it's also styalised.

All life begins with nu.
All life ends with nu.

they need to make the healthbar bigger though, i don't like taking my eyes off the action to check

>he never played Empire Earth

I always liked Soul Reaver's health bar. Defiance had a good hud as well.

again, nothing sexual

des/das is good and it got better every game.

wat

Prefer my health represented as number, usually 100 but whatever.

HUD's shouldn't take up more space than necessary desu.

someone post the HUD clusterfuck meme with picture of Battleborn HUD next to it

I actually really like sfv's and mkx's bars

>penis
>not a bicep

This
Fuck google for encouraging their shitty le minimalist interface guidelines to the masses

Any fighting good fighting game has the basic template of bars that drain inward with the timer in the middle.

Wrong, the health bars should drain outwards.

I always did like KH2's HP bar.

It really isn't. there are rules in making good UIs, and "semi transparent shit with not visible limits and no redundancy of information in a dead angle and of the vision field" isn't one of them.

>That resolution

I remember playing that the first time and it blowing my mind when it didn't make a complete circle, and started spreading across the bottom of the screen.

thats KH1 you donut.

Perfect hud

Good post.

a shortcuts...
in a fucking MAIN MENU!

I liked SotC because the bigger it got, the more the transparency increased, until when it became so high you never need to worry about it any more, and it turns completely invisible.

but that's wrong

thanks doc

To be fair that's entirely a function of deliberately playing at a garbage resolution.

I'm not seeing much about 'stylized' in that, it's just two bars, really fucking tiny ones at that. DaS did that as well with only the addition of a humanity marker, wouldn't call that stylized either. It's just minimalist, and pretty shite at that.

i just want the grey + white + black ui meme to stop already. put some color, jesus christ.

>health is just a white bar

It's really more about Western vs Japanese UI design and how 99% of Western developers fucking suck at it. They don't treat the UI like actual 2D graphics, it's just solid colors, razor-thin lines, and unattractive fonts. God forbid we draw anything that isn't a rectangle.

>God forbid we draw anything that isn't a rectangle
>everything in bloodborne is a rectangle
really...activates my brain cells....

You're right, it could be

hope im not late

This is 100 per cent shitty UI design that the project director greenlit because it looked modern instead of being fucking usable.

PS4 has the same issue but I think it was deliberately design to be unusable so it's hard to turn off but easy to access the store.

it also saves FPS to make shit UI, less to draw and shit you know, since it's post processing.

I really hate BotW's interface. Absolutely zero style in the HUD or font, I feel nothing from it.

and people wonder why Overwatch is more successful

Blizzard are kings of UI design

obviously not yours, you dick sucking faggot

>Blizzard are kings of UI design
After playing FFXI back in the day, when I tried WoW I couldn't believe how ugly it was. What especially struck me was the floating names and how they were just solid neon colors in the plainest font possible. FFXI used a thick, italic font with an outline that was easy to read and pleasant to look at, muted colors to be less distracting, and icons instead of literal words in brackets to indicate status.

I don't mind the text box and font, those are ok, and the menu screen are quite nice but I don't dig how nintendo went for the shitty rounds in the map and status; ui could have been something like this, more compact and nice

I always hated the liquefied type HP in some games.

The opposite. Japanese games, everything is rectangular, simple text. Western games have only recently become minimalist, but still express more creativity with their UIs.

Early 2000s and 90s, Japanese UIs were like arcade UIs: big, chunky text and filled with dials and meters.

Same, it made it hard to tell if you had full HP or low HP without any kind of #/# tracking on it.

Not him, but everything Blizzard has made starting with Starcraft always had incredible looking UIs, both ingame and even on their websites. You can argue whether they're functional or not, but you can't deny that the UI on SC2, D3, Hearthstone, HotS and Overwatch all look great, and the same can be applied to their webpages and Battle.net

Nah it's a bicep bro

But WoW's horrendous UI overrides all of that because it influenced the UI design for all MMOs to come later.

>it made it hard to tell if you had full HP or low HP
You'd have to be pretty retarded to not be able to tell whether it was full or empty.

It's only an argument when we're talking about being able to perceive if you can take one more hit or not at

IMO the HUD is one of the biggest advantages that BB has over the Souls games.

>notice a very tiny slim animation peaking out from the top of the orb
>598/600

FOV is terrible too, why is the gun taking up half of the screen too?

REGENERATING HEALTH happened

Is there seriously no mention of this yet?

WoW Vanilla's UI was amazing

>BTFO
>T
>F
>O

Wanna hang out with guys bro
Nothing sexual though

>Grab mushroom
>Get hit
>Don't die
Checkmate athiests

Not enough.

Can we agree that MGS' UIs are generally pretty good?

>Happy Thursday
What, compared to other days of the week? Or is it a celebration to Thor's day?

this trend of console UI needs to stop. seriously. Why devs can't add functional and clickable buttons instead?