Best Video Game Story of 2011?

What is the best story to come out of the year 2011?

strawpoll.me/12129045/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M7zWnA6ocj0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's between Dead Space 2 and L.A Noire.

BastiĆ³n

Ghost Trick without a fucking doubt.

The Witcher 2

this.

>playing video games for story
How pathetic you must be desu

>SS

This has to stop. Even by Zelda's low standards, SS's story was abysmal.

Witcher wins every time

Deus ex, excellent character, best ambietation, exploration of what it means to be a human, story changes based om decisions

Of the ones I've played on this image
>GoW3, DS2, Bamham City, Portal 2, L.A. Noire
Portal 2 had the best story. Can't say anything for the rest.

Where's undertale?

Ghost Trick > The Witcher 2 > Portal 2 = Bastion > Deus Ex: Human Revolution > Resistance 3

I actually liked all of them.

>people are actually voting for dark souls

Dead space 2 had no good story. I still liked it. All this the first girl betrays me, the mad dude is mad, the second girl is nice and we made the marker zomg is meh

If Ghost Trick doesn't win it's only because neo-Sup Forums hasn't played it

>story
Who cares ?

>LA Noire
Dumbshit American detected. That game had some of the most garbage writing I've ever seen.

>dark souls 6 votes
As much as I love the game, I have to admit the fanbase really is full of idiots.

This. DaS is my favourite game series, but to say the story is good is retarded. It's all about gameplay and atmosphere.
I think most people mix up background lore and actual story.

If you view the character's actions through the lens of the lore then the story is a beautiful, profound, and melancholy retelling of Sisyphus and morality

>bringing up that shit again
Talking about pathetic...

>this is what dark souls shitters actually believe
Jesus christ.

The Witcher 2 won the Gametrailers award for Best Story.

Enough said.

go to bed vaati

DaS has great story presentation, honestly one of the best I've ever experienced. On a blind first play through, uncovering the lore and experiencing the twists and turns of the "main quest" was a really fantastic experience. Discovering what you're really doing and finding out what's actually going down in the big picture as you play feels great from a reward and progression perspective, and serves as a motivator to continue despite being frustrated by a section of the game. I always wanted to see what was next. The twists and deceptions are subtle and well done, too. I didn't know what linking the fire really entailed until the credits were rolling. And even then, it took me another playthrough (and admitedly a little reading) to get the other half of the story.

Batman: Arkham City

Nah. The story is: you are a hollow that has to ring bells while killing monsters. Then you get some sort of chalice to offer the souls of old godlike creatures, while killing monsters and link the flame.
That's it. Nothing more. Everything else is background lore.

Yes the presentation is what makes it. The story itself is, sorry to say that, meh at the most. What drives you is the world, atmosphere and gameplay as i said earlier.
And i say that with over 700 hours in all three games

700 hours in and you never bothered to talk to any NPCs. Get fucked

>DaS sperg defence is here
A handful of npc with maybe 10 lines of dialouge each doesn't make a good nor deep story, friend.
Accept that the dark souls story is meh.

>no skyrim in the poll
>nobody has brought it up yet
I'm impressed Sup Forums. I thought there were still plebs who thought the game was well-written.

Why 2011 specifically?

You can't just gloss over what it means to be a hollow in a hollow world. To die, but be reborn whether you want to or not. To struggle, and triumph, just to struggle again, for what? To think you're performing some grand service to humanity by relinking the flame but all the while powers greater than you are manipulating your limited knowledge of the world and your place in it to sacrifice yourself for their ends. You don't understand, but you try, and you try, and you get angry and defeated and sad, and you overcome, and then you lose everything. You either sacrifice yourself for nothing, relinking the flame and postponing the inevitable, condemning every "living" thing to another brief eternity of suffering before they're snuffed out, or you sacrifice the world and hope that the change is enough to break the curse.
Fuck you, there's so much more to this game than the topical hack and slash reductionist bullshit you fuckers latch on to. This game is a goddamn metaphor for the struggles of life, grasping blindly through the darkness, hoping you're doing the right thing while everyone around plays you like a goddamn fiddle, thinking you're doing well and then dying, and none of your choices ever mattered, but the journey itself was beautiful and terrible. Goddammit

Dark Souls

You actually can, because it's not properly explored.

Don't let that stop you from sperging like the moron you are though. People who overanalyze minimalist stories like Dark Souls are always the biggest retards.

You know you can make a story sound good/shit with the choice of your words? You did that right here.

>people have opinions
>must be autistic

really blows in my cartridge

The gameplay IS the story, it's the journey experienced by the player. DaS2 intro explains it better, but it's the same thing

>gameplay is story
Now it's getting out of hand. You are reaching for every straw.

Any answer that isn't the witcher 2 is wrong.
Say what you want about the gameplay, but the story is second to none. Every other game in that image is solely about the main character, but only TW2 feels grand in scope, like you're only a small piece of something much bigger than you.

Not that user, but I think that's a feature. If you're there for the combat and don't care about the story, the game won't burden you with any of that shit through a bunch of intrusive cutscenes and required reading and whatnot. If they want to go deeper, there's plenty to dive into. The story is present insofar as you care to pursue it, and choosing not to is just fine by the game.

this one match I had in Battlefield 1943 is the greatest story I ever played.

>good story
>video games

Pick one.

I am not responsible for these posts
please do not mistake this for my salt, thanks

He said best you fucking retard. Even if they're not as good as other mediums, there can still be a best and worst.

Gears of War 3

A good solid conclusion to the locust war series.

You have to be fuckin kidding

If you view the intro of both games as directed to the player then it's absolutely the case. It's not particularly subtle as 4th wall breaks go.

BF4 does not provide this framework to guide the player's experience.

Dead Space 2

>people not getting the difference between good/bad and /best/worst
Don't bother user. It is a fight against windmills.

>Dark Souls
>Story
Pick one. There's lore hidden in there but who the hell has time to give a shit about it

I'm not, and it's further proven by your inability to justify liking such a garbage story.

If you have to search that hard for story for your arguments, i guarantee you it's meh. And only if you are lucky

XC is better than any of those.

>searching hard for literally the first thing presented to you in the game

how did you miss it, user?

I thought it was pretty well thought out and laid out over the course of the game. What exactly did you think was lack luster about it?

>Background lore =/= story
I think like that

Witcher 2 was the best... and what the fuck is ghost trick?? I have never heard of it

Isn't that a good thing? The story is there for those who want it, but if you don't have time to give a shit about it, it won't force you to bother with it. It steps out of your way and just lets you play.

>cole has an affair with an ugly german woman 10 years older than him
>no build up whatsoever
>this is a major plotpoint that sets up the final part of the game
>we're supposed to feel sad for an idiot doing an idiotic thing for some reason

>Uncharted 3
>Gears of War 3
>Dragon Age 2
LMAO

Niche weeb game for the DS, which naturally appeals to all the fat neckbeards on Sup Forums.

Uncharted 3 is one of the most well told stories you will ever see in a video game, idiot.

There wasn't supposed to be build up. The whole time they had you believe he was an uppity dogooder detectective with no flaws. Maybe they didn't want you to feel sorry for him.

>prologues aren't part of a story
>briefly introducing characters and depicting their interactions over time in a classic rise-and-fall arc that leads to the present doesn't count as a story
bruh

Back to the original point.
Does it makes the story good?
Nope

Skyrim

2011 was the fucking year

>g-guys my headcanon is how you should interpret the story! n-not the way the writers blatantly laid it out! that completely arbitrary affair was good writing all along!
Case in point: people who thought that game was well-written are idiots.

>a storytelling method dictates the quality of the story

uh huh

Game Informer gave Ghost Trick a 6/10. The game just isn't that good.

You still have no argument WHY it is good. Read my original post

I think if there's a story it should be expressed within the game in a certain context. It's simply not fun having to look exclusively at dead bodies and banners on the walls to try and piece together a coherent story. Not that I don't love the souls games. But I wouldn't mind one with some narrative and depth to their characters. But I'm sure that's seen as blasphemy around here

Are you this hard to have a conversation with in real life?

Is Ghost Trick worth playing?
I get the feeling I'm gonna be disappointed and it's going to be some overblown 'so sad cry errtyime bullshit' like most video game moments. I know I was pissed at the end of 999

Just story?
Witcher 2 by FAR
But weeaboos have already invaded, so
>Muh twists
or
>Muh backgrond
will win, because they don't know what well written dialogues are, and how a good script is the most important part of a story.

This is wrong, but you're also a faggot for making me think there was crap on my screen.

Anyone who thinks LA Noire has good writing is a legitimate fucking retard.

Dead Space 2 will be a classic and remembered fondly.

I don't think the story was a winner but underrated as fuck overall.

>video games
>story

Genuinely impactful twists and incorporating game mechanics into storytelling is an art that's been almost entirely lost by western vidya. Weeb games are worth praising just for that.

Is pretty good unlike 999, but it's not even half of well written as TW2, nor it pretends to, though.

Am I too "toxic" for you? Best you return to reddit, it's where shitters like you belong.

Anyone who thinks LA Noire is well written, let alone the best written game of 2011 is a retard. It's as simple as that.

I hope so since I was disappointed as fuck in 999's story and characters. Puzzles were good though.

twist endings are something Asains are just used to

Wow. I'm just gonna sit here while you make a fool of yourself.

>Cross my heart and hope to die
>Stick a needle in your eye

youtube.com/watch?v=M7zWnA6ocj0

How does this make you feel?

Twists, impactful or not, are nothing but the icing on the cake, and we are comparing stories, not the way they are told.
Also you should check how a CRPG works, before spouting western games have forgotten to tell story through mechanics.

EYE: Divine Cybermancy.

There is narrative, and depth to the characters, if you put the pieces together for yourself. Dark Souls' story is not complex, even if the telling is somewhat obscured. It's a Japanese take on western mythology and fantasy, and the background is very similar to classic western myths; in ancient times, the gods, beings empowered by the primordial flame, fought their enemies the dragons, driving them to near extinction, establishing their order over the world. Now it's the endtimes: the flame is dying, the gods' grip on the world is weakening, and the dead are rising. This is all explained in the intro. You later learn, explicitly through required characters, that the flame can be rekindled by returning some of the gods' power to it. There's some deception over the details (though interestingly, neither Frampt nor "Gwynevere" ever tell an actual lie to the Chosen Undead, everything they say is technically true though misleading).
One of the main themes of the story is hope in a hopeless world, mustering the will to continue on, to act despite all odds against you. An undead becomes hollow when they finally lose their hope, and no longer have the will to go on. Solaire and Sigmeyer are the most obvious examples of characters used to explore this theme.
Solaire's infectiously abundant hope gradually declines the longer he stays in Lordran, and he eventually goes insane in Lost Izalith (unless you save him). Perhaps his optimism is what made him so vulnerable in the end, and the dissonance between his expectations and the awful reality of his situation was too much for him to handle (without a hand from a friend). He needs your jolly cooperation to survive.
In contrast, Sigmeyer's problem ends up being just the opposite. He struggles with hopefulness from the beginning. Almost every time you meet him, he's frozen with doubt, unable to progress because he deems the path ahead too dangerous to tackle just yet, he needs just a little more time to get ready.

>dark souls babies actually think their game has an amazing story

good counterpoint, retard

I liked it's story, but like every zelda it was barebones. Music was fantastic though.

There's nothing to argue when you're applying your headcanon to a minimalist story. Dark Souls story isn't good no matter how badly you try to convince yourself it is.

>Arkham City
>4 votes

I guess Sup Forums does not understand kino

Literally everything every DaS apologist has posted in this thread is literally stated in the game. There is no headcanon required.

I do not think you understand what Background lore is

Because it does not mean anything that happens before the game starts

Why are witchercucks always so aggressive?

(continued)
He's a powerful adventurer and warrior, and a reasonably intelligent man to boot, but he's a procrastinator with wavering self confidence. Whenever he's stumped by some obstacle or another, the CU comes through solves his every problem with gusto, and often by total accident. He's thankful for the assistance, but the CU's actions serve to damage his ego. In Lost Izalith, recklessly decides to throw himself into a fight he cannot win alone. The way to save him is pragmatism: you can save him by joining the fight, but you must allow him to kill at least one of the demons, or you can manufacture his solo moment of glory without his knowledge by taking some out before he fights them. You still help him, but he regains some self worth in his accomplishment and continues his adventure more hopeful and secure in himself.

I'm sorry user, despite the fact that this is how the game is presented to you through gameplay, summoning, combat, and dialogue, Solaire never actually sits you down and explains this story to you in an unskippable cutscene. This is all your headcanon and you're wrong, this game has no story.

Witcher 2 is the only one out of those I'd say I enjoyed for the story

Dead Space 2 does have a pretty fun schlocky story though