Can we all agree that Western Video Games tend to be better written than Japanese Video Games?

Can we all agree that Western Video Games tend to be better written than Japanese Video Games?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw
youtube.com/watch?v=7aIXwMc20TE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They have the potential to be

"What can change the nature of a shitposter?"

Western video games are usually more cohesive while Japanese video games are usually more creative.

>how japanese developers feature multiple dimensions and timelines
Chrono Cross

>How western developers do so
Bioshock infinite

name 1(one)
I'll wait

They have better dialogue. Their premises and plots are often less creative, however, and are far more likely to fall into shitty Hero's Journey, power fantasy clichés rather than tell a worthwhile story.

Depends. Dark Souls games are well written, but so are the Witcher games.

On the other hand games like MGS are a clusterfuck no one understands.

It's hard to have a badly written Dark Souls game since the story is such bare bones.

>Dark Souls games are well written
No they're not, idiot. You fanboys are just desperate to believe they are.

Truth is, it's very easy to write a minimalist story and it'll always have morons like you praising it for being something more than it is.

No.

Choosing to say western videogames have better writing than eastern videogames is like saying western tv shows have better soundtracks than eastern tv shows; it's not relevant because each are comparatively garbage pleb shit compared to undertakings within their proper mediums.

Planescape Torment
Mask of the Betrayer
Hearts of Stone

Japan has never written a video game story anywhere near as good as any of those.

Deus Ex (the original)
Arkham series staid fairly true to form to it's source material
Witcher
Metro/STALKER
Fallout New Vegas at least compared to it's predecessor and successor

sure, why not.

>Depends. Dark Souls games are well written, but so are the Witcher games.
Dark Souls barely has any story. it has LORE. Witcher is mary Sue fantasy: the game. How come someone have such shit tas-
>On the other hand games like MGS are a clusterfuck no one understands.
Oh now I understand. You have the attention of a goldfish. That's why you need simplistic as fuck plots and can't keep up with a multi-part saga.

Nope.

name a better written western game than MGS2

This.
Mixed media is shit and always will be. It's like you faggots are basically arguing over the narrative direction of music videos.

No they're all generic. You'd never see something as different as drakengard coming from the west

Story of Thor
Glory of Heracles (specially III)
Moon Remix RPG
Terranigma

From those, only Story of Thor and Terranigma have translations. And Terranigma's translation is fucking atrocious.

To bad mgs4 retcons it making it lose any weight it had

Western games tend to be so generic that they can't possibly fail, while japanese games can be hit or miss, but when they hit they can hit really hard.

I am a BIG fan of Planescape Torment.

But I still think 999 is the best game ever written. If you haven't played it please don't look anything up about it and just play it.

The writing is clever and the story can only be told through a game. Not through conventional storytelling media like books/film.

99% of Japanese stories are absolute garbage though. But this single one is absolutely the best. I can recommend EVERYONE to play this game. Even if you think "ugh it's anime". No it fucking isn't it's a genuine story on an entirely next level.

Even if you think it's shit and won't be your taste you are wrong and need to play it.

There should be a rule on Sup Forums that you should have completely finished 999 before being able to post on anything about videogame stories/writing.

Otomaid @ Cafe
Josou Sanmyaku
Josou Kaikyou
Josou Gakuen
Pure My Imouto Milk Purun
Oto Love ~Josou Bishounen Gentei!~
Ani Love ~Josou Bishounen Kakumei!~
Natsuiro Sagittarius Gaiden Ayato-kyun no Otoko no Ko Nikki
Puru Moe Angel Idol Aiko
Ore no Otouto ga Konna ni k(ry
Chupi Chupi Otoko no Ko ~Katei Kyoushi to Futago no Himitsu no Jugyou~
Ototama ~Boku-tachi Girls Band Desu~

> Muh Western Critical Writting

Yeah, really hard question user

Fuck off shill.

explain

Go to ANYONE that has completely finished the game. Literally everyone you can find. And ask them if they share my opinion. They all will.

Hell I even categorize Sup Forums people in 2 types of people. People that finished 999 and people that didn't finish 999. Guess which half likes the game?

>its great its great its great omg it's entirely next level bros
>there should like, be a rule everyone has to finish it
If idiots like you adore it this much, then it can't be good. I'll be staying away.

>how western developers feature multiple dimensions and timelines
Day ofbthe Tentacle/Life is Strange

>How japanese developers do so
Final Fantasy XIII-2

I can't stand jap games like
Once all the characters blend in and look the same, I forget who the fucks who.

Everyone that finished it adores it though. Seriously try to find a guy that finished the game and didn't think the story was remarkable.

I haven't found that person yet and the game has been out for almost 6 years by now. Even the shitposters on Sup Forums leave this one alone.

Sorry, I don't touch games shilled to the extreme by morons like yourself. Never a good idea. You didn't even elaborate on anything; you just labeled everything great like a thoughtless retard.

From my experience playing both western and japanese equally, I'd say that, from the games that tried to put some work into it and not just generic shit, western tend to have better writing, but japanese tend to have better stories.

That being said, the translation of japanese games probably has a huge impact on the final product, so I don't think it's fair to compare unless we use the original script.

>WHERE'S THE POWER?

Good games write themselves

forgot image

What's so good about Dwarf Fortress anyway?
Does it have good gameplay? If it does, can you give reasons why?

That's because the game tells a story through a very different unique way and spoiling how it does that would rob you of the experience.

It's something never done before in gaming that's the thing I can say without spoiling and it's dependent on the hardware you play the game on.

So it is impossible to compare because there is always translation.

Who gives a shit about writing in a video game? Read a book, faggot.

Mad max fury road

Don't care, never touching it, you failed. Next time don't shill so hard, idiot.

idk. why don't you try counting and compare?

I don't believe you.

>there will never be a bioshock-esque game where you explore the competing ideologies and factions of planet

More like essential antcore.

Are you a fucking ant?

It's one of few games that come close to living up to the open-world YOU CAN DO ANYTHING mantra. And it's not even half-finished.

>they can't tell what each game is IMMEDIATELY
found the plebs.

Deus Ex
PS: T
BG (kinda)

I can't because i never look at game covers you autist.
I didn't even know what M&B's cover art looked like.

Basically, unless you know enough Japanese and English.

In the end, more than impossible, I think it's just pointless. Both are great, have given us many great things and therefore should be treated as equal. Which one is better, comes down to personal preference and nothing else.

Undertale.

Is there a japanese game that comes close to this?
youtube.com/watch?v=1b-bijO3uEw

or this?
youtube.com/watch?v=7aIXwMc20TE

Is there a Japanese game with as much philosophical value as PST?

Is there a Japanese game with as expansive and interesting lore as Morrowind?

>as much philosophical value as PST
MGS, though it certainly doesn't come close.
>expansive and interesting lore as Morrowind
Not a game, but Type-Moon's VNs have a lot of lore, so you might be interested in it.

>borg
>jews
>direct democracy
>proud warrior race
>christfags
>obligatory science faction
>fuck yeah space pirates
>hippies
>cultists
>collective
>cyberpunks
>dwarfs

>posting the wrong pic

Nier/Drakengard

Thanks, user. I'll check that out.

Just be aware that it's filled with a lot of japanese anime shit, so if you hate that kind of thing it's not for you.
Also don't take it too seriously because the writer himself does whatever the fuck he wants and doesn't really care about what people say due to people bitching about everything.

>Also don't take it too seriously because the writer himself does whatever the fuck he wants and doesn't really care about what people say due to people bitching about everything.

Isn't that a good thing?

Depends on what kind of person you are really.
Basically he puts joke characters (only in side stories), makes cute girls just because or whatever else.
The only serious story that he writes is the main VNs, anything else he does whatever he wants.

Undertale

shit someone already said it

alright you almost triggered me

>using generic in every sentence
this is dobson level of strawman

>replying to bait
Come on user.

Dark souls is on the left when it should be on the right

>weabos think reality is bait
makes you think

Both are shit. japan is retard and bad anime plot. and the west is bad and retared holywood movie. the few games that have good written are the ones made the story unfold like a video game should do. with npc and extra dialogue about the in-game world.
today even npc are made just to suck the protagonist's dick or to give shitty WoW quests

Japs have shit stories but more memorable characters

Usually, yeah. The japs really love their shitty cliches and stereotypes, but occasionally produce something good. Japs also really like creating mary sues for some reason.

Weebs will never admit it though. If a game was a cute girl in it then it's a good game in every aspect, right?

This.

Japs create charicters, but with god awful storys.

Western devs create great storys, but with god awful charicters.

Its why Kojima has a cult following.

Great, memorable characters, great story.

Jap characters act like they all have autism.

sure OP

I don't recognize five of those. Expansion factions?

>If you haven't played it please don't look anything up about it and just play it.
The shills aren't even trying today.

>calling games by their subtitles
autism

>hyperdimension neptunia gets praised for its "amazing story"
Weebs BTFO

How old is this image? That last part was only true around 2009.

fug forgot to remove name

> great storys, but with god awful charicters

naem oen(2) gaeem

ur mum

my mum

That's right.

You can't read japanese, why would I care about your nonexistent opinion?
Ah, right.
>Purple Prose in walls of text: The Game(Book)
>Good writing
If you think that Philosophy-01 put in a broken RPG framework is a good story and nothing more than a mediocre game you're delusional.

>you need to learn japanese to truly enjoy the game
pass

>STOP BULLYING JAPANESE GAMES! THEY MAY NOT BE INTELLIGENT, THOUGHTFUL OR INTERESTING BUT THEY HAVE CUTE GIRLS AND THATS ALL YOU SHOULD CARE ABOUT

The west has better shooters and strategy games

And better RPGS arguably

Then don't comment on what you can't read, imbecile.
Funny you mention cute girls when western games had sex in way before japanese ones.

Of course you do, japanese moonrunes is actually really hard to translate and literal translations will always end up with a fuckton of TL notes unlike basically every other language that's not runes.

are you saying japanese people cant translate it to english?

>Then don't comment on what you can't read, imbecile.

>y-you dont get it!
they are just bad, accept it weabo

The funny thing is that whoever made that image picked the only Growlanser MC that is just a normal guy with nothing special about him.

PE4 refutes this.

>And better RPGS arguably
Not arguable. The Witcher 3 blows every single RPG out of the water in terms of story.

This.

I'm no weaboo just like I'm not a deluded shit eater that think western games are better when they're just as bad and cringeworthy.
Coupled with the west's delusion in believing the localization we get are anything more than rewrites at best and pure fanfiction at worst, it takes a great deal of ignorance to say you can judge japanese writing, even going beyond something as fundamentally moronic as judging a written work by a translation.

They can't because no japanese is fluent in english, at least i haven't seen one.
Even then however, they have a vastly different writing and shit, for example japan has around 3~5 different expressions I/Me.
There's ore which is masculine, boku which is less masculine but is still masculine, watashi which is neutral, waga which is basically for faggots who look down on other people.
I'm sure there's more, but since i don't japanese i can't list more.