youtube.com/watch?v=cTl0ky4DcHA
youtube.com/watch?v=qB1BwD7xmM0&t=13s
youtube.com/watch?v=VEIWhy-urqM
youtube.com/watch?v=AlIdlrlv6Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=RcPDNkWwzW4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>huge world
'nuff said

Being an adult is knowing both are great games and being able to love them equally without trying to compare them to each other or other games.

SMB3 is the only remotely difficult 2D Mario game and therefore wins.

SMB2 (Both versions) doesn't count

I own and play both habitually.

Whys it matter? Whos having to pick between the two?

the reason they're great is that you can hold backwards when jumping to slow momentum. that is I promise you, why everyone likes them more than SMB and Lost Levels, including me.

funny huh

>being an adult
>bing bing wahoo *1up*

Pretty much. Wish this kind of philosophy applied to the 3D games as well, since it's currently a shitfest.

I like Galaxy, World, 64 and Sunshine, though the later 2 more so for being collect-a-thons in small, but open stages. The linear 'reach the goal' of a stage is best in 2D, imo.

I can't love them equally. SMW is a complete mess from a design standpoint.

SMB3 is a more tight knit package. SMW is more open ended.

They both are great platformers with various mechanics and secrets.

soon.

>not SML

Why not include Jap SMB2? Also 3 is a legit hard game, but it hits a good level of difficulty without being too cunty.

I just hope in all future threads about Odyssey people learn to get along. Seriously, all six of the 3D Marios so far are currently solid and as a series, 3D Mario is very blessed. It doesn't matter what style they go for. There shouldn't be divides among us.

This post is retarded, there's no reason for SMB2 to not count, and SMB3 isn't even harder than SMB.

>get along
>Sup Forums

c'mon man, you can't be that naive

Daily reminder there has never been a bad mainline Mario game.

Galaxy 2 is the best though.

hey everyone, look at the hippy!

soory lad, but the difference in gameplay is clear. Galaxy and on, they literally prevent you from doing your own thing and constrict Mario's movement. It's just like Smash, they made a tight game like Melee then completely said "fuck this, we gave them too much control".

I just hate the shitfest most Oddyssey threads are with both sides slinging shit since it devolves into shitposting most of the time.

I like Mario 64 over the later games too but they're not bad games. Galaxy 2 is my second favorite, and they all got good things going for them.

Galaxy 2 was an awesome game, I got all 242 stars in like 2 days when it came out. but there is very little replay value due to linearity and lack of "parkour". I'll just stick to 64 and SMS thanks.

More like Adulthood is realizing that SMW is infinitely more fun to break

how is it a complete mess?

But the Galaxy games put an actual emphasis on platforming where as in Sunshine you have stuff like cleaning a beach, extinguishing piantas and throwing fruit in a basket.

Sunshine easily had the best fluidity of control but the level design was the worst, the best levels are the ones without FLUDD which are pretty fucking good cause you can actually take advantage of the control you have.

And it's good we're getting another game like 64 and Sunshine since I prefer that style too. Personally for me I just think both Galaxies, along with 3D Land and World have things going for them as well,

I just wish both sides would respectfully get along. 3D Mario has always been a strong series over most platformers, with all six being so solid.

Who even cares?
3D games are infinitely better.

true. but the big enough static worlds (Islands) are the reason you keep coming back.

now that Nintendo confirmed there is a difference, that will not happen. imo, Galaxy's were fine, 3DL/W were very underwhelming.

Yes I agree, I still boot up my GameCube and mess around in Delfino Plaza just because it's fun controlling Mario in that game period but for actual platforming Galaxy 1 and 2 win hands down.

3D World was underwhelming on both fronts however, not a bad game by any means though but kind of missed out on what made 64/Sunshine or Galaxy 1/2 so great.

It is poorly-designed to the point where asking if they put any actual thought into the mechanics is a legitimate question.

The spin jump trivializes obstacles. Yoshi trivializes obstacles and allows you to jump back on him if you get hit, so you can keep trivializing obstacles. He's a hit with no penalty. The powers Yoshi gets from the different shell colors are broken as fuck, as are the different Yoshi colors. Blue shell/Blue Yoshi in particular. The cape is retardedly overpowered and allows you to fly over 90% of the game, and since there's rarely anything of note in the skies of levels that makes flying around boring as shit. The cape is a broken P-Wing without the balance of being single-use and being unable to re-acquire it within a level.

Being able to replay levels allows you to enter a level solely to grab a power-up or lives and then instantly exit with that power-up. It's cheesing the game.

The game was rushed to meet the launch of the Super Famicom, but it really needed a whole lot more time and thought put into it.

I think Nintendo at this point is showing that fans of both styles will be catered and accounted for, which is ultimately a good thing.

Either way, Odyssey is coming, and I'm sure it'll be the seventh home run hit from them in regards to 3D Mario.

Or a bad soundtrack

youtube.com/watch?v=cTl0ky4DcHA

youtube.com/watch?v=qB1BwD7xmM0&t=13s

youtube.com/watch?v=VEIWhy-urqM

youtube.com/watch?v=AlIdlrlv6Ak

youtube.com/watch?v=RcPDNkWwzW4

Hope they bring Yokota back, his work on the Galaxy games and 3D World is way too fucking good.

now, on what line would you guys put 64DS?

obviously you want to say bottom, but the whole limited control thing is a definite factor here. I can confidently say, Odyssey will never be remembered if Mario handles like he does in 64DS/3D World. however, based on the trailer and gameplay showcase videos, I still like the odds that he is unrestricted (except for long jumping only being able to be shifted forwards for obvious reasons).

SMB3 had some gd art

Odyssey reminded me a ton of Sunshine in terms of movement throughout the trailer which is great. Galaxy 2 is my favorite but like I said the way Mario controlled in Sunshine is fucking perfect and if they could improve the level design then I would be very happy.

I'm more curious if there will be a hub world of sorts or if we just move from different areas all on the ship.

64DS is impressive for what they managed to pull it off on the DS and all and I like the added content. It's alright for what it is. Ideally they should have waited for the 3DS to remake 64 since the circle pad would have been a lot better, not to mention the visuals and how well it run as well like OOT3D and MM3D.

>Why not include Jap SMB2?
cuz it's more like a romhack than a real game

adulthood is not playing games for children

Ok, I guess so. There are mechanics that make shit way too easy.

Though I never realised the power of the spin jump when I was playing as a kid. It was still a piss-easy game.
The game still felt damn good though. Great control, graphics and sound.

it seems to me the ship takes you to all the worlds (come on 20+), and one of the worlds happens to be a city lol.

reminder that the 3ds joystick works for 64DS and mario kart ds and adds the precision you wanted.

but it was a real game. same engine as 1 aside, lost levels was not made outside of JP because they thought it would be too difficult for gaijin noobs like you.

Patricianhood is realizing no mario game has ever come close to the greatness that is Warioland

My biggest concern is that there may not be that many worlds/areas to travel to

They showed the city, crystal food land, the desert, and the forest. I don't want them to have blown their load yet; it would be disappointing if those were even half.

and then I played Super Mario 64.

being an adult means not forming your opinions based on what a fucking Sup Forums OP has to say on anything

Thank christ

lol fucking Sup Forums amiright haha

It's fun in places and actually has some good ideas, but goddamn it's like Nintendo just completely forgot to think about core features of the game when they were making it. That's why I can't put it on the same level as 3 and I personally can't put it above any of the other retro 2D Mario games.